Author Topic: The barbarity that is Syria  (Read 387666 times)

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
Re: The barbarity that is Syria
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:07 pm »
I got the impression their foreign policy is generally quite hands off, which is guess is quite natural i suppose.
They find a strategic bombing campaign hard to resist tho
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2013, 10:17:35 pm »
It is also important to consider that their military is still relatively weak, globally speaking, following WW2.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2013, 10:18:23 pm »
They find a strategic bombing campaign hard to resist tho

How far am i allowed to go with German jokes? :)
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
  • We Are The Legionnaires Expect Us.
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2013, 10:22:18 pm »
It is also important to consider that their military is still relatively weak, globally speaking, following WW2.

Not really weak although they aren't as big and strong as they once were, they just don't go around bullying smaller weaker countries than them like the USA do.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #404 on: August 30, 2013, 10:50:48 pm »
Not really weak although they aren't as big and strong as they once were, they just don't go around bullying smaller weaker countries than them like the USA do.
They are still limited by treaty http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_on_the_Final_Settlement_with_Respect_to_Germany
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #405 on: August 31, 2013, 12:35:16 am »
You'd have to be braindead to not think chemical weapons hadn't been deployed
hi

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #406 on: August 31, 2013, 12:37:13 am »
You'd have to be braindead to not think chemical weapons hadn't been deployed
Yes they have been deployed but there's growing evidence that it was by US backed rebels and not the Assad government.
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #407 on: August 31, 2013, 12:39:05 am »
Yes they have been deployed but there's growing evidence that it was by US backed rebels and not the Assad government.

That's not the argument.

Some virgin that lives in his nan's basement reckons none have been used at all.
hi

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #408 on: August 31, 2013, 12:41:18 am »
Might want to get rid of that, Alan X is likely to give you a holiday if he see's it.

Conspiracy theories are verboten on here on pain of death.

It's the grammar and spelling atrocities that are worthy of verbotenhood.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #409 on: August 31, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
An invasion into Syria is for oil, the US is in debt with China anyway after China lent them money. Look at Iraq for example were was weapons of mass destruction being used there?
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #410 on: August 31, 2013, 12:46:28 am »
The Syrians don't even want the US, the UK or any other nation in Syria anyway as it will cause more bloodshed of innocent civilians which is true. If there is any other reason to send troops into Syria is for it's oil.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #411 on: August 31, 2013, 12:49:10 am »
That's not the argument.

Some virgin that lives in his nan's basement reckons none have been used at all.

Who said no chemical weapons have been used? I said the US claim there's been chemical weapons used, not that they haven't.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #412 on: August 31, 2013, 12:50:24 am »
So there's this thing called the ignore list, where you go into profile then modify profile then ignore/buddy list and lo and behold you can make it so someone's posts simply don't come up.

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #413 on: August 31, 2013, 12:54:52 am »
Who said no chemical weapons have been used? I said the US claim there's been chemical weapons used, not that they haven't.

The US aren't claiming they've been used, they're claiming they know who used them.

You comparing Iraq to Syria infers you think the US are fabricating evidence in order to invade them, which is absurd.
hi

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #414 on: August 31, 2013, 12:55:34 am »

Growing evidence or growing conspiracy theories?

Offline -Sad Fuck-

• ... is rather queer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tiny dancer
« Reply #415 on: August 31, 2013, 01:01:48 am »
There's no need to make a claim for something that's absolute fact.

hi

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #416 on: August 31, 2013, 01:17:23 am »
Growing evidence or growing conspiracy theories?
http://youtu.be/TY2DKzastu8 - watch this, educate yourself and then come back to me about 'conspiracy theories'.
"If you're struggling in a game you can either do two things, send your centre back (Robert Huth) up front as a centre forward or use Luis Garcia between the lines." - Rafa Benitez

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #417 on: August 31, 2013, 01:22:29 am »
http://youtu.be/TY2DKzastu8 - watch this, educate yourself and then come back to me about 'conspiracy theories'.

Great watch that, people fail to acknowledge the truth and label it as a 'conspiracy theory'.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #418 on: August 31, 2013, 01:44:58 am »
Lets put it this way, Middle Eastern oil has enchanted global powers and global capital since the early twentieth century. 7 countries in the Middle East which are Iraq, Aghanistan, Syria, Iran, Somalia, Lebanon and Sudan are worldwide providers of oil in the world. Americas plans were to being down all 7 countries governments for its oil so the USA can takeover to be worldwide suppliers of oil in the world.

We have already seen the Iraqi government being brought down by American and British forces, what for? It's oil, then there comes Afghanistan, NATO forces are still in an ongoing war in Afghan against the Taliban and Al Qaeda. The US plans are to bring down Afghanistan and take over the oil there also. Then comes Syria, read my above replies on why America wants military action there, then it will be Iran, Somalia, Lebanon and Sudan.

Former NATO commander even speaks out about the plans the US governments future plans on Middle Eastern wars, it's all lies, it's so people believe 'oh it's the government they are right' when in reality it's all for profit. http://youtu.be/TY2DKzastu8

The link SheikhMo posted above is we're you find an interview with the former NATO commander and here's a very interesting article about America, Oil and War in the Middle East.

http://jah.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/1/208.full
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 01:52:22 am by Scouse-Con »
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #419 on: August 31, 2013, 01:45:41 am »

That's all well and good, but you are trying to connect a video from 2007 and my question asking for evidence of US-backed rebels being behind the chemical attacks last week. There is hardly a correlation. Sure, Clark mentions countries that the US has had military conflict or action with but that is the extent of it. Libya? There were over 20 countries involved in the military action there and the US were not at the forefront of it like Clark suggests they would be. If in the next several years the US invade Iran, Lebanon, Somalia and Sudan then I'll stand up and take notice. Because bear in mind the 5 year plan has so far taken 12 years so someone has their wires crossed.

Telling me to educate myself is fine, we should all do that until the day we cease to breathe but your condescending demeanor is amusing. Anyway, back to my original point as we've gone a little off subject which was probably your plan: where is the growing proof that the US were behind the chemical attack? Because when you strip it down that is what you are saying.

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #420 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:04 am »
Lets put it this way, Middle Eastern oil has enchanted global powers and global capital since the early twentieth century. 7 countries in the Middle East which are Iraq, Aghanistan, Syria, Iran, Israel, Lebanon and Sudan are worldwide providers of oil in the world. Americas plans were to being down all 7 countries governments for its oil so the USA can takeover to be worldwide suppliers of oil in the world.

We have already seen the Iraqi government being brought down by American and British forces, what for? It's oil, then there comes Afghanistan, NATO forces are still in an ongoing war in Afghan against the Taliban and Al Qaeda. The US plans are to bring down Afghanistan and take over the oil there also. Then comes Syria, read my above replies on why America wants military action there, then it will be Iran, Israel, Lebanon and Sudan.

Former NATO commander even speaks out about the plans the US governments future plans on Middle Eastern wars, it's all lies, it's so people believe 'oh it's the government they are right' when in reality it's all for profit. http://youtu.be/TY2DKzastu8

The link SheikhMo posted above is we're you find an interview with the former NATO commander and here's a very interesting article about America, Oil and War in the Middle East.

http://jah.oxfordjournals.org/content/99/1/208.full

Afghanistan has never produced oil, until this year, I remember it was due to start processing in July, I assume it has.

China and India are the driving force, who are going to pull it out the ground and benefit from it, not the US.

Australia are looking at going in and mining the shit out of it.

Until now its only real exports have been fundamentalist terrorism and smack.

Offline Scouse-Con

• Anny Roader
« Reply #421 on: August 31, 2013, 02:07:10 am »
Afghanistan has never produced oil, until this year, I remember it was due to start processing in July, I assume it has.

China and India are the driving force, who are going to pull it out the ground and benefit from it, not the US.

Australia are looking at going in and mining the shit out of it.

Until now its only real exports have been fundamentalist terrorism and smack.

Mistaken for Libya, which was what I was meant to put. The war in Afghanistan is a separate thing.
Knowledge Is Free.
We Are Anonymous.
We Are Legion.

We Do Not Forgive.
We Do Not Forget.
Expect Us.

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: August 31, 2013, 02:23:06 am »

BOLLOCKS.

The chemical weapons were deployed with rockets and the regime are the only ones with that capability.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 02:34:04 am by Sinos »
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline Mouth

• Legacy Fan
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #423 on: August 31, 2013, 02:25:56 am »
Mistaken for Libya, which was what I was meant to put. The war in Afghanistan is a separate thing.
Once again not the US.

As far as I know its still up in the air who will get what licensing rights, I am not sure when the next licensing period is. The companies who already had agreements with the previous regime have just carried on as best they can, given the security issues.

France’s Total S.A. and Italy’s Eni have a foothold as they have done business there for years. Libya being a former Italian colony.  However when it all gets sorted out, its likely that once again China, along with Russia this time, are the countries who will be at the forefront of the queue to get Libya's oil.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #424 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:16 am »
Loving the idea that the Obama administration has done a false flag operation to trigger a showdown with Russia, a proxy war with Iran across two or three countries and at the same time try to prevent Syria from disintegrating entirely with the knock-on effects upon a NATO ally whilst known stocks of very dangerous shit are only being kept out of the hands of people who think lots of death is what god wants because an evil bastard currently has them instead. That's one hell of a conspiracy theory; and all this after two years of hard work trying to avoid all of that - good job that we've got people able to see through their clever smokescreen, isn't it? Otherwise it wouldn't make any sense. Can we laugh at them for being shite at this too? You'd get all that without the kerfuffle of legal intervention by doing a falseflag attack on Turkey instead. It's not like Turkey hasn't been hit already and the US has worked hard to prevent it dragging in Turkey and NATO after all.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 03:45:05 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 31, 2013, 06:07:40 am »
The United States has waited through 2+ years of civil war and turmoil in Syria without injecting itself much into the equation, but now we've decided that lobbing a few Tomahawk missiles toward the country is likely to yield us oil, so that's obviously why Obama is doing this

Offline Suspect Package.

• Legacy Fan
  • Wingers? ....wait, we do have wingers now?
« Reply #426 on: August 31, 2013, 06:48:14 am »

Except that's just not true.

Some of the best analysis of the Chemical Weapon evidence is on these two blogs.

http://rogueadventurer.com/2013/08/29/alleged-cw-munitions-in-syria-fired-from-iranian-falaq-2-type-launchers/
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/collected-media-of-munitions-linked-to.html

More reading and education, less conspiracy theories please. And for the record, personally I'm very much against Western Intervention in Syria.
I'm really hoping Sturridge busts out the wacky dip when he scores.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #427 on: August 31, 2013, 07:30:03 am »
Some links to pieces by 'War Nerd'. The unlocks will expire in 24 hours or so. Not posting much from them because this is the model of sharing the articles they ask people to use. The persona writing the pieces is almost certainly not to everyone's taste, but he provides a different perspective.

I don’t pretend to know what Obama’s people are going to do about Syria in the next few days. I doubt they know themselves. And to be truthful, I just can’t push my nose low enough to read the stinking entrails of Washington D.C.

It’s funny; I can read communiques from the most disgusting irregular groups in the world—say, Lashkar e Jhangvi, the worst of the worst—but I can’t watch John Kerry give speeches or listen to Obama stumble through another peanut-cluster of patriotic clichés explaining why we’re going to do something stupid, with the exciting twist that the guy shoved out in front of the cameras this time is black. That little plot twist stopped being fun sometime in Season Two. Obama has gone from disappointing to just plain depressing, a Wall Street technocrat way out of his depth when trying to think about anyplace not on the campaign trail, the one place he’s at home.

Little Kerry and the Three Bad Options

The war in Syria has been picked over from nearly every angle except the most obvious one — simple tactics: who’s doing what, and how. There’s something like class snobbery in the way people cover this war. Print and TV focus on geopolitics or the inhumanity; but there’s a whole youtube industry of Syrian videos, which, if you watch enough of them carefully enough, can give you a good sense of what’s happening in the thousand tiny streetfights that make up this war.

When you look at this war strictly as a military struggle, you notice something weird: over two years of fighting, the lines are almost totally static. The Alawites, Assad’s Shi’ia-ish people, have withdrawn from most of inland Syria — the flat, dry country where the Sunni dominate. But Assad’s troops and militias are still fighting for Aleppo, the biggest city in the Sunni inland region, and they’re holding on strong in their coastal home region. The Kurds have assumed control of their enclaves in the north and northeast with some help from their PKK friends in Turkey. Roughly speaking, the Alawites, who always looked like sure losers, have held their own and even pushed back, despite being only about 10% of the population, and having a tradition of being considered weird hicks by other Syrians.

Our Ringers vs. Your Ringers

If, like me, you spend your days lurking in the darker neighborhoods of YouTube, you’ve probably already seen the video: A Sunni rebel chieftain carving a dead SAA soldier open — not very well, either — and pulling out his heart, then taking a stagey-looking bite out of it.

If you haven’t, you probably should, if only so you understand why all of your Twitter friends are making bad jokes with “heart” in them. Those in the know have already downloaded the video, watched it about 85 times, cursing the blurring over the chest cavity, and then tweeted about how appalled they were. It’s a new phenomenon, the instant global “Tsk.” Time magazine claimed that videos like this are “fueling Syria’s Descent into Madness.”

I Heart Syria
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 07:38:49 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 31, 2013, 07:52:57 am »
Just replying to say that the 'War Nerd', is quality stuff. I picked up his book and although is mostly a collection of his previous articles it is still an engaging, entertaining and very irreverent read.

John Dolan, the real guy behind the persona is also worth checking out - sharp and insightful writer with a wicked sense of humor

Pheeny

« Reply #429 on: August 31, 2013, 09:02:21 am »
It's the grammar and spelling atrocities that are worthy of verbotenhood.
Give it a rest Mr Educated.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Jagadambe Mata ♡
« Reply #430 on: August 31, 2013, 09:38:21 am »
Has anybody seen the footage of General Wesley Clark saying that the US has been planning to invade Syria for a long time?
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #431 on: August 31, 2013, 11:25:38 am »
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline SheikhMo

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #432 on: August 31, 2013, 12:45:17 pm »
BOLLOCKS.

The chemical weapons were deployed with rockets and the regime are the only ones with that capability.
Except that's just not true.

Some of the best analysis of the Chemical Weapon evidence is on these two blogs.

http://rogueadventurer.com/2013/08/29/alleged-cw-munitions-in-syria-fired-from-iranian-falaq-2-type-launchers/
http://brown-moses.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/collected-media-of-munitions-linked-to.html

More reading and education, less conspiracy theories please. And for the record, personally I'm very much against Western Intervention in Syria.

http://www.mintpressnews.com/witnesses-of-gas-attack-say-saudis-supplied-rebels-with-chemical-weapons/168135/

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #433 on: August 31, 2013, 02:56:33 pm »
How the Rest of the World Views the American Military

—By Kevin Drum
Thu Aug. 29, 2013

Paul Waldman lays out a list of significant U.S. military actions over the past 50 years, and it adds up to 15 separate episodes, ranging from full-scale wars (Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan) to smaller incursions (Grenada, Haiti, Panama). For those of you who are math challenged, this means we've launched a significant overseas assault every 40 months since 1963. Waldman explains what this means:

Some of these operations worked out very well, others didn't. And just to be clear, this history doesn't tell us whether bombing Syria is a good idea or a bad idea. But if you're wondering why people all over the world view the United States as an arrogant bully, reserving for itself the right to rain down death from above on anyone it pleases whenever it pleases, well there you go. It doesn't matter whether you think some or even all of those actions were completely justified and morally defensible. From here, we tend to look at each of these engagements in isolation, asking whether there are good reasons to go in and whether we can accomplish important goals for ourselves and others. But when a new American military campaign begins, people in the rest of the world see it in this broader historical context.

This is a perspective that's sorely missing from most mainstream discourse. Too many Americans have a seriously blinkered view of our interventions overseas, viewing them as one-offs to be evaluated on their individual merits. But when these things happen once every three years, against a backdrop of almost continuous smaller-scale military action (drone attacks, the odd cruise missile here and there, sending "advisors" over to help an ally, etc.), the rest of the world just doesn't see it that way. They don't see a peaceful country that struggles mightily with its conscience and only occasionally makes a decision to drop a bunch of bombs. They see a country that views dropping bombs as its primary means of dealing with any country weaker than we are.

source

Offline The Lash

• Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Had massive doses of fluoride in his formula.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #434 on: August 31, 2013, 03:20:41 pm »
The US aren't claiming they've been used, they're claiming they know who used them.

You comparing Iraq to Syria infers you think the US are fabricating evidence in order to invade them, which is absurd.

Is it really absurd? They have a track record. The only 'evidence' is the say so of the USA. They are actively opposing the efforts of the UN to gather evidence to confirm or refute the claims being made. So, the US have made a claim and wont let anyone investigate, because the are right!!!!!

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #435 on: August 31, 2013, 03:30:11 pm »
Is it really absurd? They have a track record. The only 'evidence' is the say so of the USA. They are actively opposing the efforts of the UN to gather evidence to confirm or refute the claims being made. So, the US have made a claim and wont let anyone investigate, because the are right!!!!!

In what sense are they actively stopping the UN from investigating?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The Lash

• Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Had massive doses of fluoride in his formula.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #436 on: August 31, 2013, 03:39:35 pm »
In what sense are they actively stopping the UN from investigating?

They have told the UN to evacuate the area, as there is a possibility of military action

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #437 on: August 31, 2013, 03:46:53 pm »
They have told the UN to evacuate the area, as there is a possibility of military action

But the UN inspectors have now left Syria. They spent 4 days at the site. They have with them the samples they need.

So I don't understand what you mean when you say the United States won't let the UN investigation go ahead.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline The Lash

• Anny Roader
« Reply #438 on: August 31, 2013, 04:04:48 pm »
But the UN inspectors have now left Syria. They spent 4 days at the site. They have with them the samples they need.

So I don't understand what you mean when you say the United States won't let the UN investigation go ahead.

I stand corrected. Apparently, the Syrian government agreed for the UN to send in chemical inspectors to determine the substance used and the method of delivery. However, Washington has declared that it is "too late" for UN inspectors and that Washington accepts the claim of the al Qaeda affiliated "rebels" that the Syrian government attacked civilians with chemical weapons. UN chemical inspectors who arrived on the scene were fired upon by snipers in "rebel" held territory and forced off site, although a later the inspectors returned to the site to conduct their inspection.

So, if the UN have everything that they needed, why have they not given a definitive response as to who was responsible? It would certainly solve a lot of problems.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #439 on: August 31, 2013, 04:39:20 pm »
How the Rest of the World Views the American Military

—By Kevin Drum
Thu Aug. 29, 2013

Paul Waldman lays out a list of significant U.S. military actions over the past 50 years, and it adds up to 15 separate episodes, ranging from full-scale wars (Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan) to smaller incursions (Grenada, Haiti, Panama). For those of you who are math challenged, this means we've launched a significant overseas assault every 40 months since 1963.

Between 1945 and 1992 there were 55 U.S. Military and CIA Interventions around the world.
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense