Author Topic: The barbarity that is Syria  (Read 387684 times)

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The barbarity that is Syria
« Reply #640 on: October 2, 2013, 01:10:40 pm »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/rosiegray/the-inside-story-of-one-websites-defense-of-assad

This piece by Rosie Gray certainly raises some interesting questions about Mint Press
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #641 on: October 8, 2013, 10:06:45 am »
“Your listeners, U.S. taxpayers, are now paying to give arms to terrorists including Al-Qaeda,” she told host Jan Markell.

“This happened and as of today the United States is willingly, knowingly, intentionally sending arms to terrorists,” she said. “Now what this says to me, I’m a believer in Jesus Christ, as I look at the End Times scripture, this says to me that the leaf is on the fig tree and we are to understand the signs of the times, which is your ministry, we are to understand where we are in God’s End Times history.”

“Rather than seeing this as a negative, we need to rejoice, Maranatha Come Lord Jesus, His day is at hand,” [she] added. “When we see up is down and right is called wrong, when this is happening, we were told this; these days would be as the days of Noah.”

source

Guess who?

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #642 on: October 8, 2013, 08:54:49 pm »
“Your listeners, U.S. taxpayers, are now paying to give arms to terrorists including Al-Qaeda,” she told host Jan Markell.

“This happened and as of today the United States is willingly, knowingly, intentionally sending arms to terrorists,” she said. “Now what this says to me, I’m a believer in Jesus Christ, as I look at the End Times scripture, this says to me that the leaf is on the fig tree and we are to understand the signs of the times, which is your ministry, we are to understand where we are in God’s End Times history.”

“Rather than seeing this as a negative, we need to rejoice, Maranatha Come Lord Jesus, His day is at hand,” [she] added. “When we see up is down and right is called wrong, when this is happening, we were told this; these days would be as the days of Noah.”

source

Guess who?

I guessed, then cheated and took a look at the link.
She is Michelle Batshitman

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #643 on: October 9, 2013, 06:21:08 pm »
http://youtu.be/U1TVLVZtXDg

14 minute video from The Guardian...tears were shed.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #644 on: October 10, 2013, 11:49:18 am »

An astonishing film.

08.20 I leapt out of my seat.

The freedom fighter at the end was brilliant. His plea for help from America was so pitch perfect. "Put the cat on youtube. It'll get a million hits. Don't worry about the Syrians, just help the cat".
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: October 10, 2013, 07:05:25 pm »
Really hard to watch that video. Of course some people will paint this revolution as bad people vs bad people and forget about the tens of millions of lives which have been flipped upside down and tossed aside. It is fucking heartbreaking.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You will look down and the tea will be gone.
« Reply #646 on: October 12, 2013, 09:02:07 am »
Warning contains some graphics images. Published by Human Rights Watch.

Spoiler
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/U10D0-wiJ8A" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/U10D0-wiJ8A</a>
[close]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 09:14:31 am by AA1122 »
All around you walls are tumbling down. Stop staring at the ground.

Offline outlaw_nas

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #647 on: October 12, 2013, 08:07:08 pm »

Heart breaking...

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #648 on: October 15, 2013, 05:11:48 pm »
“U.S. hopes of winning more influence over Syria’s divided rebel movement faded Wednesday after 11 of the biggest armed factions repudiated the Western-backed political opposition coalition and announced the formation of an alliance dedicated to creating an Islamist state. The al-Qaeda-affiliated Jabhat al-Nusra, designated a terrorist organization by the United States, is the lead signatory of the new group.”

Washington Post, September 26, 2013
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #649 on: October 15, 2013, 05:37:57 pm »
“U.S. hopes of winning more influence over Syria’s divided rebel movement faded Wednesday after 11 of the biggest armed factions repudiated the Western-backed political opposition coalition and announced the formation of an alliance dedicated to creating an Islamist state. The al-Qaeda-affiliated Jabhat al-Nusra, designated a terrorist organization by the United States, is the lead signatory of the new group.”

Washington Post, September 26, 2013

I'll remember that when you start saying - as you will - that the US funded the al-Qaeda affiliated rebels in Syria.

However no doubt you're very pleased with that situation. The aim being, I guess, that America is embarrassed at all costs. Even if that leaves either the Fascist Assad in power in Damascus or the Syrian people left to the tender mercies of the Islamic fundamentalists.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:40:30 pm by yorkykopite »
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #650 on: October 15, 2013, 08:07:21 pm »
Desperate times.  :-\

Starving Syrians Can Eat Cats, Dogs And Donkeys Under New Islamic Fatwa

Huffington Post UK  |  Posted: 15/10/2013 15:57 BST  |  Updated: 15/10/2013 15:57 BST

Food supplies in war-ravaged areas of Syria have become so bad Muslim clerics are issuing fatwas declaring it permissible to eat cats, dogs and donkeys.

This time of year is marked by the three day global festival of Eid al-Adha, normally a time of feasting but many areas such as the Ghouta agricultural belt around Damascus of Syria remain under bombardment.

Consumption of the animals is normally forbidden under in Islam but food and aid supplies in some regions have become almost non-existent, reports the BBC.

Similar fatwas have been issued to Palestinians in cams Al-Yarmouk camp south of the capital.

A leading Imam said: "How does the world sleep with full stomachs while there are hungry people, and not far from the main city", reports the Jerusalem Post.

He added: "Haven’t you heard the fatwas that have filled our streets and mosques by permitting people to eat cats, dogs and other animals that have already been killed by the bomb attacks?

"Are you waiting for us to eat the flesh of our martyrs and our dead after fearing our lives?"

The situation in Syria remains dire with the international community deadlocked into inaction.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #651 on: October 16, 2013, 06:28:27 pm »
Desperate times.  :-\

Starving Syrians Can Eat Cats, Dogs And Donkeys Under New Islamic Fatwa

Huffington Post UK  |  Posted: 15/10/2013 15:57 BST  |  Updated: 15/10/2013 15:57 BST

Food supplies in war-ravaged areas of Syria have become so bad Muslim clerics are issuing fatwas declaring it permissible to eat cats, dogs and donkeys.

This time of year is marked by the three day global festival of Eid al-Adha, normally a time of feasting but many areas such as the Ghouta agricultural belt around Damascus of Syria remain under bombardment.

Consumption of the animals is normally forbidden under in Islam but food and aid supplies in some regions have become almost non-existent, reports the BBC.

Similar fatwas have been issued to Palestinians in cams Al-Yarmouk camp south of the capital.

A leading Imam said: "How does the world sleep with full stomachs while there are hungry people, and not far from the main city", reports the Jerusalem Post.

He added: "Haven’t you heard the fatwas that have filled our streets and mosques by permitting people to eat cats, dogs and other animals that have already been killed by the bomb attacks?

"Are you waiting for us to eat the flesh of our martyrs and our dead after fearing our lives?"

The situation in Syria remains dire with the international community deadlocked into inaction.

http://www.vice.com/read/town-under-siege

Very distressing images of the starvation in north Damascus. Pressure is being put on the Assad regime to allow a humanitarian corridor to get to these kids.

Offline sparkylfc

• Main Stander
  • growing old is compulsary,growing up is volantry
« Reply #652 on: October 16, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
 :( very depressing, GOD bless to all involved in this barbarity, makes me feel sick to see :'( what a shit cruel world we live in

I have dislexcia so my grammar and spellin  fookin stinks,soz

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #653 on: October 16, 2013, 07:57:44 pm »
http://www.vice.com/read/town-under-siege

Very distressing images of the starvation in north Damascus. Pressure is being put on the Assad regime to allow a humanitarian corridor to get to these kids.

There were reports on Twitter that a tactic used by Assad's forces was to burn crops. There are several videos on youtube. Something has to change soon.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: October 16, 2013, 08:35:31 pm »
There were reports on Twitter that a tactic used by Assad's forces was to burn crops. There are several videos on youtube. Something has to change soon.

I agree but nothing will happen for a long time yet except an intensification of everything that's happened so far. Possibly another 100,000 people will have to die before something positive is done.

Partly this is because what is happening in Syria is seen by many people over here to be 'normal'. Normal in the sense that the immense amount of dead aren't being caused by us (ie Britain, US etc). What is therefore 'abnormal' is the idea of intervention. That always has to be justified (and rightly so), while doing nothing to help never has to be justified. It's normal.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #655 on: October 16, 2013, 08:37:05 pm »
Needless to say - I hope - that is a crazy idea and a sign of how sick the times are.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:47 pm »
I agree but nothing will happen for a long time yet except an intensification of everything that's happened so far. Possibly another 100,000 people will have to die before something positive is done.

Partly this is because what is happening in Syria is seen by many people over here to be 'normal'. Normal in the sense that the immense amount of dead aren't being caused by us (ie Britain, US etc). What is therefore 'abnormal' is the idea of intervention. That always has to be justified (and rightly so), while doing nothing to help never has to be justified. It's normal.

I do not think that intervention will end this war, I doubt you think that either. Maybe the removal of Assad would stop the rate of killing and help to bring this war down. I would agree that it probably would, to a certain extent.

Assad has to go, it is impossible for him to unite the country. I am unsure that anyone will be able to do that. Many Islamist elements fighting will never accept the national council that is supposed to act as a transitional government. Many people predict that once Assad goes another 'war' would break out between the rebel factions. We can only speculate.

I would never be in favour of military intervention personally. Whether that is right or wrong I don't know. But, I am in the 'lily-livered pacifist' brigade. I think we should just be providing humanitarian aid. This is more down to my personal beliefs rather than from a military or political perspective (although there are reasons for and against from those positions). Even though I do not support military intervention, I really didn't like the way Ed Miliband played realpolitik with the motion on Syria. But, I guess it can be hypocritical for me to say that as thousands of people are dying.

I do want things to improve for people. I do want Assad to go and for a national council to be able to step in. I do want things to improve for the Syrian people - like we all do. I am just not certain that intervention will make things better, for many reasons. We cannot predict how other countries will react to our intervention if it were to happen. I am not sure they would back down. There are several reasons apart from the 'pacifist' view as to why I am against intervention. I think it could be like lighting a touchpaper in many ways.

If I was going to support military intervention (as unlikely as that would be), I would have to be sure the intervention would put an end to the conflict, and I am not sure of that at all. I know that people can say, 'you can't just stand by and watch' and 'it can't get any worse that this', but tragically, I'm not sure. What kind of person that makes me I don't know. But, like everyone else, I just hope things get better.

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: October 31, 2013, 04:51:02 pm »

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #658 on: November 6, 2013, 06:12:13 pm »
Inside Syrian town living under al Qaeda reign of fear

Gaziantep, Turkey (CNN) -- Raqqa was, a matter of months ago, one of Syria's most liberal cities. Now locals call it Tora Bora. They say it's as if the Taliban of Afghanistan have taken over.

After months of bombardment by the regime and a chaotic lack of control by weak and divided moderate rebels, al Qaeda have found a broken society, made it their home, and imposed on it hardline Islamist law.

Each morning, activists told us, they seem to awake to a more conservative city. The "Bayanaat" or rulings sometimes appear on town walls. Many limit women's rights -- to walk alone, to style or show their hair. Other edicts come by word of mouth -- no smoking, no cameras. Behind them are often foreign jihadists from the al Qaeda linked militant group the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria, or ISIS.

The fear that now grips the city can be felt in the shocking bruises on Adnan's body. Adnan, whose name has been changed out of fears for his safety, was behind some graffiti in Raqqa that told ISIS to get out. They caught him filming too, and dragged him into the burned-out ruins of a church they had torched and labeled as a new ISIS base.

Adnan was then taken to a nearby basement where the torture started. "Every 15 minutes, someone poured water on me, electrocuted me, kicked me, then walked out," he said. But his own pain, he said, he could handle, as his body eventually went numb. It was hearing the pain and the screams of other prisoners he knew that was the hardest. "When a person is tortured in front of you, you feel responsible. That's the hardest. One guy still inside used to call me Dad as I taught him about democracy," he said.

One ISIS video -- part of a high-definition, heavily produced social media channel that displays their ideals and exploits -- shows their militants driving through Raqqa at night. They pass a poster, put up by ISIS, encouraging women to wear the Islamic hijab or partial veil, to "cover their beauty".

The militants' goal, though, is reaching a cafe where they tell patrons smoking will be banned. Another video shows them burning not only marijuana, but also large numbers of cigarette cartons. Another shows an ISIS teacher -- his face blurred -- with a group of schoolchildren, all wearing ISIS's distinctive black headbands.

It is extraordinarily dangerous to film inside Raqqa. Activists have been beaten and jailed by ISIS for doing so. But CNN has gathered rare video from some activists and from ISIS's own websites that paint a chilling picture of the rapid lurch towards radical Islamist ideology in a city now under ISIS control.

Dozens of interviews with activists and Syrians have also detailed the story of a city where women -- along with the previously liberal lifestyle of an entire town -- are being rapidly suppressed by militants bent on establishing an Islamic caliphate across northern Syria.

One female activist said: "They are closing hair salons, women can't go out at certain times. They spat on one girl for disobedience. It's like Afghanistan. Now people call Raqqa Tora Bora." The speed of change has overwhelmed many who notice that the city is becoming quieter and more conservative each week.

ISIS first came into town on May 15, and swiftly executed men they accused of working for the regime. At first, they seemed an Islamist but better-organized alternative to the rebels who had failed to bring governance or peace to the city for months. But slowly a broader agenda emerged and began to gather pace each week, activists told CNN.

Rebels who opposed ISIS were at first jailed, sparking protests. Yet ISIS became increasingly uncompromising in their grip on the town. Rules for social conduct in Raqqa, some written and some not, have emerged in the past few weeks. They have yet to reach the extent of those seen in the nearby town of Jarablus -- where one poster recently warned thieves would have their hand chopped off -- but locals fear that could come soon.

Anti-ISIS dissent has been silenced in Raqqa, and many activists and locals we spoke to have fled the town. Some stay and spray-paint graffiti declaring that ISIS and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad are the same, or telling ISIS to get out.

Locals note the irony in the fact that ISIS beats them for this graffiti, just in the same way that the Assad regime was accused of torturing young people for anti-government graffiti in the southern town of Daraa -- an incident that began the revolution in March 2011. For many, ISIS is now something worse than the regime.
Has video:
http://edition.cnn.com/2013/11/05/world/meast/syria-al-qaeda-town-walsh/index.html?hpt=wo_c1
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline alfonso

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: November 10, 2013, 06:32:43 am »
British Nationals Fight with al Qaeda in Syria

Yesterday, MI5 Director-General Andrew Parker announced that hundreds of British Muslims have travelled to Syria to take part in "terrorist tourism". Today, we present exclusive video footage and interviews with British nationals fighting with al Qaeda in Syria. In the film, two young men with British accents echo the sentiments expressed by Lee Rigby's killer Michael Adebolajo and declare jihad against the UK and United States.

"I say to the United States that your time will come," says one of the men, who gives his age as 26, "and we will bleed you to death and, Inshallah, shall raise a flag in the White House."

The second jihadist calls on the British public to rise up against the government: "Like the guy in Woolwich, he explained that David Cameron would never walk on the street, and he'll never get shot in the face, whereas you guys who are soldiers, or just normal folk, will take the blame for the crimes that are committed worldwide, by Britain itself, so we have to fight."

The film also shines a light on the communication difficulties that arise when radicalised extremists from Britain, France, Chechnya, Bosnia, Kosovo and Turkey, among other countries, get together to fight on the front line.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/7jD146Rx80k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/7jD146Rx80k</a>

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #660 on: November 15, 2013, 02:18:10 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24957195

Just think these bastards are primitive savages and an apology makes everything alright does it?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #661 on: November 15, 2013, 02:28:37 pm »
Primitive savages, yes. But armed with a lethal mixture of medieval religious certainty and 20th century totalitarian ideology.

One deplorable effect - predicted at the time - of the policy of western non-intervention (not even sanctions or no-fly zones) is that Al-Qaeda and the jihadists have begun to eliminate the original democratic and non-sectarian rebels. BBC 'Newsnight' a couple of nights ago showed how this was happening in northern Syria in detail.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #662 on: November 15, 2013, 02:37:10 pm »
They are a disgrace to humanity - any religious leaders worth their name would certainly condemn such barbarism. Does anyone hear any critical religious voices being raised? No me neither.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #663 on: November 25, 2013, 12:42:31 pm »
The victims of Syria's war finding care in Israel

In the maternity unit at the Sieff Hospital in the Israeli city of Tzfat, the safe arrival of every baby feels like a minor miracle.

But on the day we visited, there was one little boy among the row of newborns who will one day have quite a story to tell. That is, if his parents ever decide to tell him.

The child's name has to be withheld: publishing any kind of information which could identify him might put him in danger when he goes back to his home village - which is in Syria.

His mother's name or any personal information that might identify her can't be published either. She looked tired but happy when we met her, quick to praise the kindness of the Israeli medical staff who had treated her.

She was already in labour when she went to her local clinic in her home village in Syria - but they told her that they could not treat her.

Her worried husband knew that it was possible to get her treated in Israel - and so the couple began a dangerous race to the frontier in a country at war and a desperate race against time.

She had to be taken to a point inside Syria from where she could be seen by Israeli soldiers patrolling the fence that marks the old ceasefire line between the two countries that dates back decades.

A military ambulance then took her to hospital - she made it time.

The humanitarian chain that got the woman from her home village under heavy shellfire to the boundary fence and then to hospital links guides in Syria to Israeli Army paramedics on the frontier, to the doctors and nurses in Tzfat.

For the woman, every step in the process worked perfectly, perhaps because it has become a well-trodden path.

She was the 177th person to make to the journey to the emergency room in what has become one of the most extraordinary subplots of Syria's agonising civil war.

Syria and Israel regard each other as enemies. A state of war has existed between them for decades.

And yet, since the first patients arrived around nine months ago, the informal system of patient transfer has become so well-established that some patients have even arrived with letters of referral written by doctors in Syria for their Israeli counterparts.

Dr Oscar Embon, the director of the Sieff Hospital, says simply: "Some beautiful relationships have started between the staff at the hospital and the people that we treat. Most of them express their gratitude and their wish for peace between the two countries."

The Israelis say they are treating everyone who needs treatment. That often means women and children but it is possible that among the young men who have been patched up, there may well be fighters loyal to Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, or jihadist rebels who in other circumstances would attack Israeli targets if they could.

Dr Embon says that policy of not discriminating between the sick and the hurt is entirely consistent with what he sees as the values of his country and the ethics of his profession.

He told me: "I don't expect them to become lovers of Israel and ambassadors for what we do here, but in the interim I expect they will reflect on what was their experience here and that they will reflect differently on what the regime tells them about Israelis and Syrians being enemies."

Israel's help for the Syrian patients is politically interesting, of course - this is the Middle East, after all.

But even if you only spend a few hours in the hospital at Tzfat, you get a sense that there are powerful human dramas being played out in the treatment room.

Most of the patients, though, won't talk about what they have been through - they are too frightened about what would happen to them back in Syria if it emerged they had been to Israel.

At the centre of the system is an Israeli Arab social worker who asked us to refer to him only by his first name, Faris.

He calms the fears of disoriented patients who are shocked to find themselves suddenly being treated in an enemy state.

He organises charity collections to provide them with toiletries and toothbrushes.

And he listens to their stories.

The job Faris does is tough at the best of times - imagine having to explain to a young boy blinded in an explosion that he will never see again - but with the Syrian patients, it feels even more difficult because they go home as soon as they have been treated.

And once they cross back onto the Syrian side of the boundary fence, all contact with them will be lost between the old enmities of the Middle East and the dangerous chaos of civil war.

Faris acknowledges that the regular partings from men, women and children he has helped through dark moments are tough for him as well as for them.

He looks tired when we meet but says he sleeps well knowing that he has been given a chance to do some good.

"When people come here for two months," he told me, "a relationship starts between you and them and becomes stronger. Then they go home and the sad thing is you can't be in contact with them because their villages are 'enemy' villages."

Such is the grinding misery of Syria's civil war, though - and the growing problems in the healthcare system there - that it seems every week will bring Faris and the medical staff at the hospital new patients and new problems.

The Syrians who go home cannot be too open about the help they have received in Israel - merely admitting having been here could put them in danger.

But somehow word is spreading and it seems likely that as long as the civil war goes on, the tide of injured seeking help will continue to rise.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-24998618

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #664 on: November 25, 2013, 02:11:36 pm »
The victims of Syria's war finding care in Israel

Interesting. Although such things will never be recognised 'officially' on the Syrian side of the fence, they will still have their impact. The ordinary Syrian is less bigoted than his government.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: November 27, 2013, 02:01:26 am »
Thank you for posting the videos. Breaks your heart.  :(

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: December 2, 2013, 07:05:53 pm »
http://nsnbc.me/2013/11/29/mother-agnes-mariam-words/

An interesting account from a humanitarian aid worker Nun, on the ground in Syria

Offline RojoLeón

• Brentie's #1 fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: December 3, 2013, 05:42:29 am »
http://english.al-akhbar.com/content/assad-our-battle-saudi-open-ended

Ten days ago, Syrian President Bashar al-Assad met with a delegation of party leaders and politicians from Arab countries. He said unequivocally: The battle will continue as long as Saudi Arabia continues to “back terrorism,” and the flow of extremist fighters, money, and arms into Syria continues.

“If this is what they want, then let them come to Syria so we can hand over power to them,” Assad sarcastically added. Tunisia – Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has proclaimed that Saudi and other countries’ support for terrorist groups will delay any solution to the crisis. He also said that the Syrian government was advancing on more than one front against terror and the war against Syria, stressing that the government would not go to Geneva if it is expected to hand over power.
Assad’s remarks on the situation in Syria came during a meeting on the sidelines of the Arab Parties Conference held in Syria 10 days ago. Al-Akhbar interviewed a party leader from the Maghreb who took part in the meeting.

In response to a question on what is happening in Syria, Assad said, “We have been subjected to a major war. In the first phase, we had to focus on standing our ground, which is what we did in the first year. Then we moved into the stage of triumphing over the enemies. There are experiences in recent history, including what happened with the Resistance in Lebanon, which stood its ground for many long years, and then achieved major victories in 2000 and 2006. We have known from the outset that the battle targeted our independent decision, but this independent decision was a major factor in our steadfastness and our victory, although we appreciate the support Syria has received from its allies, and some allies have had a pivotal role, such as Russia, which stands on our side because its interests, too, are threatened. I heard directly from the Russian leadership that they stand alongside Syria to defend Moscow and not just Damascus.”

Assad continued, “The time required to end the crisis in Syria depends to a large extent on the ongoing support and funding to armed groups provided by the actors in the region.”

He added, “Saudi Arabia and other countries are strong backers of terrorism. They have dispatched tens of thousands of takfiris to the country, and Saudi Arabia is paying up to $2,000 as a monthly salary to all those who take up arms on their side.”

Assad said, “There is another problem, related to al-Qaeda’s infiltration through the border with Iraq. This is something that the authorities in Baghdad are cracking down on but not entirely with success. Consequently, stopping Saudi support would have a decisive impact, especially since the militants and those behind them have been caught by surprise by our army’s capacity to confront them. Now, we know, and the whole world knows that al-Qaeda does not pose a threat to Syria alone. We hope for rational solutions in the coming months, but the issue is also contingent upon our ability to confront those, and we are determined to fight them until the end.”

The [Saudis] gave cover to the Camp David agreement, supported the war on Lebanon in 1982, and today, they are engaged in an open-ended war against Syria. We are now openly saying that we are at war with them. The Syrian president then told his audience, “In light of the situation on the ground, we do not believe that it is possible to reach a settlement soon. As long as fighters, weapons, and funds continue to be sent across the border into Syria, we will not stop pursuing them. No one in the world can stop us exercising our right to defend our country. Moreover, today, we find little that can be agreed upon in Geneva, especially since some wrongly believe that we are going there to hand over power to them.”
“If this is what they want, then let them come to Syria so we can hand over power to them,” Assad sarcastically added. “If they decide to appoint [leader of the opposition National Coalition Ahmad] al-Jarba as president, do they think he would be able to come to Syria?”

Assad explained that Saudi Arabia “is leading the most extensive operation of direct sabotage against all the Arab world,” adding, “Saudi Arabia led the countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council in the battle against all nations and parties that stand in the face of Israel. The [Saudis] gave cover to the Camp David agreement, supported the war on Lebanon in 1982, and today, they are engaged in an open-ended war against Syria. We are now openly saying that we are at war with them. True, we accommodated them previously, but they want everything to be according to their vision and interests.”

Regarding the position of the Western countries that back the armed Syrian opposition, Assad said, “The colonial West still acts in a vain mentality. They act like the past 20 years did not happen. They ignore the US defeat in Iraq, and they act as though the Soviet Union collapsed only yesterday.”

Concerning the current state of the Arab world and the Arab League, Assad said, “If the league shall remain under the influence and tutelage of backwards regimes like those of the Arab Gulf countries, it will have no role and no value. However, not all the Arab countries have had their independence taken from them.” He then added, “Today, there is a brave man making a stand in Iraq who is Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki. He has important stances, even though his country is torn and many seek to destroy it. Even Algeria, one could consider its stance ahead of others. But most importantly, we must take heed of what is taking place in Egypt today. We see as the rest of the Arabs do that there is in Cairo today someone telling America frankly and sharply, ‘You have no business in Egypt’s internal affairs,’ and this is an important position that must be supported.”

The Syrian leader then spoke about the state of political parties in Syria and the Arab world, and said, “Vacuum is one of the reasons why extremist groups have spread. But another reason has to do with the fact that these parties did not rejuvenate themselves, and they are still weak. We as a state are keen on boosting their work, not as a party. We have also been observing the reflection of Syria’s steadfastness on Arab reality in general, and especially in the Maghreb, which we fear could be subjected to the rule of NATO.”

Assad then warned against the spread of Wahhabi ideology in the Arab world, and said, “This requires a new approach to religious institutions, but first and foremost, it requires supporting a civil state based on co-citizenship.”

Assad added, “Today’s generation has been subjected to a large-scale process of spreading ignorance. The generation that preceded us had more awareness, and this process of spreading ignorance is aimed at keeping the Arab world in a state of backwardness. I want to remind you that the West does not want us to ever evolve. I remember when the US Secretary of State Colin Powell visited us in 2003 and conveyed his country’s demands from Syria after the occupation of Iraq, he especially wanted us not to host any Iraqi scientists. We rejected his demand, so the US and Israeli intelligence liquidated quite a few of those scientists. Today, they want to eliminate scientists in Iran.”

But Assad noted that, by contrast, awareness among Arab peoples is reemerging, saying that raising the picture of the late Egyptian President Gamal Abdul-Nasser in many Arab demonstrations is a sign of this.

He said, “We are not against religion, but we are against invoking religion in all aspects of people’s daily lives. Even us, who are secular, gave religion a role in our constitution, which states explicitly that Sharia is a source of legislation. However, we refuse any politicization of religion in the sense that leads to negative results. As an example that our stance is not against religion, consider Hezbollah’s case in Lebanon. This is an ideological party that derives its ideas from religion. But we do not disagree with Hezbollah politically. This is proof that we don’t have an absolute stance against religions, but we refuse any religious force that operates in accordance with takfiri or Wahhabi ideology.

“For this reason, we say that we do not deal with the Muslim Brotherhood in this way. I believe that Syria cannot tolerate this faction. They did not give us a positive model in all stages. They operate on the basis of a sectarian position; otherwise, how can one explain their stance opposed to Hezbollah? They accept politicization in all issues, and use sectarian discourse to inflame Sunni-Shia strife.”

He then said, “Syria, like Iran and Hezbollah, tolerate many things to prevent sedition. Even the approach in dealing with the situation in Bahrain is very cautious for this reason.”

(Al-Akhbar)

Offline mactifosi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: December 3, 2013, 11:06:00 am »
So to summarize, Saudi Arabia's foreign militia (Al Qaeda) is winning the proxy war in Syria.
The original rebels and the regime are now fighting a 3-way war.

I do not know what agreements Israel may have in place with the Saudi's but I expect they would prefer Assad to stay in power than
have to face another Afghanistan on it's doorstep.

Crunch time is coming.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #669 on: December 3, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »
I do not know what agreements Israel may have in place with the Saudi's but I expect they would prefer Assad to stay in power than
have to face another Afghanistan on it's doorstep.

What agreement do you think they've got?

Israel is an innocent party in all of this. Obviously.

Israel might, in the early months of the rebellion, have hoped to have seen the democratic opposition to the Assad regime win. But that looks unlikely now. So Israel is faced woth a lose-lose situation. Assad is a sworn enemy of Israel and is still officially at war with the state. The various stripes of Jihadist fundamentalists, on the other hand, can't decide among themselves who detests Israel most.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #670 on: December 3, 2013, 02:05:10 pm »
It's a total lose-lose situation for the Israelis - with another lose scenario waiting just around the corner in a currently jubilant and resurgent Iran.

And they used to cite the Balkans as the world's most problematic area. . .

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #671 on: December 9, 2013, 05:22:11 pm »

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: December 9, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »
http://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2013/12/07/Syria-new-massacre-unfolds-in-Nabk.html

Taken from that article as I have noted how you like to occasionally bash the reliability of sources, am I pushing it saying that Al Arabiya is the Saudi equivalent of Press TV? I don't know if this was deliberate or if 'staff writer' just has no idea, but this sentence takes the biscuit:

The Western backed Syrian Free Army (FSA) announced on Saturday that two of its commanders were killed by the al-Qaeda linked Islamist State of Iran and Syria (ISIS).

This seems to be a recurring thing in this conflict - the reliability of sources - naturally as it is such a difficult place to report from. But there are lots of things that have photos taken from other places and changed. It is usually the regime who are guilty of this in most cases to be fair. And, this takes nothing away from the barbarity of the regime. But, I know you would bash down a Press TV piece almost automatically, so I feel inclined to do the same.

And, you are right to bash down the Press TV guff as that is what it is.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: December 9, 2013, 09:17:11 pm »
No, that's a fair point. It's not a source I've ever used before and it most definitely is tainted - although, to be fair, it's not a pure propaganda arm like Press TV. It has a degree of credibility.

As for the massacre, I don't know, are you saying it didn't happen?

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #674 on: December 9, 2013, 09:30:30 pm »
As for the massacre, I don't know, are you saying it didn't happen?

No, I'm not, I have no idea. I will assume that it did or they would not bother reporting it. It is hardly unbelievable. I'm sure there are many more strikes like that one that have gone unreported. Just thought I would move the debate on to something else I am always thinking about when I read articles on twitter, their reliability. I thought it was an apt time also as that Brown Moses fella who has been on BBC was taking a little stick for being selective about CW videos. I know for a fact I saw one posted by @johnyrocket69 that showed a rebel group capturing some in a barracks somewhere, so he must of seen that. Not that that proves anything for either side.

I don't know if you follow the conflict on twitter, I know it has it's detractors on here, and people will always question reliability and many other things. But, when it is used properly to follow the news, it can be great for reporting things as they happen. As long as you do not take everything as gospel and try to follow good quality journalists and activists.

Offline Chocolate jesus

• Son of Marshmallow god and the Holy boaster
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #675 on: December 17, 2013, 07:36:36 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25420945

My wife's cousin. Lovely guy and genuinely went out there on humanitarian grounds.

RIP buddy. What a waste. The world doesn't deserve heroes anymore.

Offline AA1122

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #676 on: January 11, 2014, 11:50:28 am »
Just viewed some horrific pictures on Twitter from Yarmouk refugee camp. Dead people with arms like sticks due to hunger. Estimates of around 18,000 starving there. The pictures reminded me of visiting Auschwitz to be honest. I won't post any from twitter. Not picking sides or trying to make political points.

Pro-regime feeds are posting starved people and blaming rebels for not allowing aid in and saying that militants are killing people bringing aid in. Rebel feeds are posting the pictures also and blaming the regime for putting the area under siege.

Here is an Al-Jazeera article, they say the UN have asked for a human corridor to get aid but have been unable to do it.

Warning: The video on this article has graphic images.
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/12/starvation-syria-yarmouk-20131228151752853749.html

Separate report with no images.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/rK4vzSMc8hE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/rK4vzSMc8hE</a>

Further information:
http://www.unrwa.org/newsroom/official-statements/statement-commissioner-general-palestine-refugees-trapped-inside

I hope they can get in there soon. Just trying to draw attention to it. Like lots of the pictures and footage from the area it is very disturbing. Again what is really tragic is these are civilians who want to escape the conflict. Now they are a piece of realpolitik and both sides are positing their plight as capital. Food has to get into there. Fly over there and drop it in, anything.

Horrible conflict. My thoughts are with these people. Feel so useless as a human sometimes.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #677 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:29 pm »
The Guardian newspaper is carrying some horrendous and highly credible evidence about the "industrial scale killing" of political opponents by the Assad regime's secret police. This atrocity, which has been revealed by a defector (a regime photographer), involves 11,000 corpses. There is photographic and other evidence. You cannot read the evidence and not be reminded of the Nazi regime in Germany: the bureaucacy behind the torture and the killing and the careful documentation by the secret police.

Hopefully these crimes against humanity will soon be brought to the Hague. One day soon I hope we are able to see Assad in the dock.

Syrian regime document trove shows evidence of 'industrial scale' killing of detainees
Senior war crimes prosecutors say photographs and documents provide 'clear evidence' of systematic killing of 11,000 detainees
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/20/evidence-industrial-scale-killing-syria-war-crimes?CMP=twt_gu

Here's the PDF showing the methodology of the report (and some very distressing photographs of tortured and emaciated bodies) http://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1390226674736/syria-report-execution-tort.pdf

Jonathan Freedland's sensible article http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/21/evidence-mass-murder-syria-end-inertia-putin?CMP=twt_gu

Offline viteslesrouges

• Legacy Fan
  • Games : 535. Won : 308. Drawn : 131. Lost : 96
« Reply #678 on: January 21, 2014, 06:44:14 pm »
The Guardian newspaper is carrying some horrendous and highly credible evidence about the "industrial scale killing" of political opponents by the Assad regime's secret police. This atrocity, which has been revealed by a defector (a regime photographer), involves 11,000 corpses. There is photographic and other evidence. You cannot read the evidence and not be reminded of the Nazi regime in Germany: the bureaucacy behind the torture and the killing and the careful documentation by the secret police.

Hopefully these crimes against humanity will soon be brought to the Hague. One day soon I hope we are able to see Assad in the dock.

Syrian regime document trove shows evidence of 'industrial scale' killing of detainees
Senior war crimes prosecutors say photographs and documents provide 'clear evidence' of systematic killing of 11,000 detainees
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jan/20/evidence-industrial-scale-killing-syria-war-crimes?CMP=twt_gu

Here's the PDF showing the methodology of the report (and some very distressing photographs of tortured and emaciated bodies) http://static.guim.co.uk/ni/1390226674736/syria-report-execution-tort.pdf

Jonathan Freedland's sensible article http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/21/evidence-mass-murder-syria-end-inertia-putin?CMP=twt_gu

"Highly credible evidence" of regime atrocities has been shown before and then later been shown to have been committed by the rebel side(s). The USA has been known to use photo "evidence" from Iraq and Afghanistan as "Syrian" and the cynic in me is loathe to swallow everything the USA/Saudi combine throw at us.
Not only is this evidence "highly credible" it's also been released at a highly convenient point, just before the multi-lateral talks to discuss regime-change (a la warmonger Kerry). How long have the 50,000 odd photos been available? Why have they been released today and not before?
It just seems to me that the USA/Saudi profession of outrage at crimes against humanity only applies when the politics work for them, otherwise they turn the blind eye.

God help the Christian communities in Syria should the Saudi backed jihadis oust Assad, what was once a country of a diverse religious mix will quickly become a Sunni hellhole, pretty much as we've seen in neighbouring Iraq.
Christians, Kurds and Druze have been attacked by the rebels and their villages destroyed but we hear precious little about this.

You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #679 on: January 21, 2014, 07:14:00 pm »
"Highly credible evidence" of regime atrocities has been shown before and then later been shown to have been committed by the rebel side(s). The USA has been known to use photo "evidence" from Iraq and Afghanistan as "Syrian" and the cynic in me is loathe to swallow everything the USA/Saudi combine throw at us.
Not only is this evidence "highly credible" it's also been released at a highly convenient point, just before the multi-lateral talks to discuss regime-change (a la warmonger Kerry). How long have the 50,000 odd photos been available? Why have they been released today and not before?

I knew this would come. Not so quickly perhaps, but I knew it would come.

So you think de Silva, Crane and Nice are hired guns then? You think Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch are front organisations for the US govt? You think Assad couldn't possibly be killing and torturing thousands of political detainees?