Author Topic: David Moyes was the manager of Manchester United  (Read 3116326 times)

Offline Hij

• Literally Custom-titlely neglected for literally over a decade, Ruud.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97.
    • Grime Forum
Justice for Anne Williams. Justice for the 97. Justice for the Survivors.

Istanbul 2005. Athens 2007. Basel 2016. Kiev 2018. Madrid 2019. Paris 2022.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Re: David Moyes is still the manager of Manchester United
« Reply #13121 on: December 2, 2013, 10:58:11 pm »
Btw..

Did anyone else notice Howard Webb had a red watch when he did our match v Hull Sunday.

That was the one Fergie gave him as a going away present wasn't it. ;)
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Erics Collar Don't Mata

• always did look ridiculous.
  • Main Stander
  • Not arrogant, just better.
« Reply #13122 on: December 2, 2013, 11:03:57 pm »
Well Ando is a fan favourite of United's, a quality player who never reached his full potential. He did well even to recover from some bad injuries early in his career. Has won more than a lot of players.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13123 on: December 2, 2013, 11:04:24 pm »
A question for the Man Utd fans on here:

What does Tom Cleverley bring to your team?

(I get the impression he's your version of Jordan Henderson, e.g. young, English, midfield, divides opinion, fans of other teams laugh at him....etc.)

A decent squad player, he can do most things well enough, but is not particularly great at anything, he'll improve but will always be a squad player. He cost us nothing, isn't on particularly high wages and seems to have a good attitude, all clubs need players like this, except Henderson cost you £20 million.
When ze seagulls follow ze trawler....

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13124 on: December 2, 2013, 11:33:06 pm »
A decent squad player, he can do most things well enough, but is not particularly great at anything, he'll improve but will always be a squad player. He cost us nothing, isn't on particularly high wages and seems to have a good attitude, all clubs need players like this, except Henderson cost you £20 million.

Firstly, how do you know he will improve? He has had enough time already in and around the first team surely? 

Secondly, why did you bring Henderson's fee into this????

At this moment in time, who would you rather have at United, Cleverley or Henderson?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #13125 on: December 2, 2013, 11:34:52 pm »
Handerson didn't cost £20 million. Mind you no surprise a Manc fan swallows what Sky tell him eh.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #13126 on: December 2, 2013, 11:35:21 pm »
A decent squad player, he can do most things well enough, but is not particularly great at anything, he'll improve but will always be a squad player. He cost us nothing, isn't on particularly high wages and seems to have a good attitude, all clubs need players like this, except Henderson cost you £16 million.

Fixed that for you.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13127 on: December 2, 2013, 11:37:57 pm »
Well Ando is a fan favourite of United's, a quality player who never reached his full potential. He did well even to recover from some bad injuries early in his career. Has won more than a lot of players.

What potential?! He's been at united 6 years and has never had a sustained spell where he has shown he is a top quality player.

He has won a lot of medals simply because he has been at united. How many of those trophies has he played a major part in winning?

Offline swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13128 on: December 2, 2013, 11:42:03 pm »

Mind you no surprise a Manc fan swallows

I'll stop you there

Offline Lee1970

• Anny Roader
« Reply #13129 on: December 2, 2013, 11:43:35 pm »
Liverpool fans have been playing the same record for decades now, The end of United and all that shite, but we prevail. And  I still believe,  we are Manchester United, and we will prove the doubters wrong. again.

Genuine offer to you, I will donate £5000 to a charity of your choice if United finish above Liverpool this season!  You seem so confident of this that I expect you will reciprocate...over to you. 

• Main Stander
« Reply #13130 on: December 2, 2013, 11:43:51 pm »
What potential?! He's been at united 6 years and has never had a sustained spell where he has shown he is a top quality player.

He has won a lot of medals simply because he has been at united. How many of those trophies has he played a major part in winning?
The League and Champions League in 2007/08. It was his first season and his most impressive, he played a key role in a 3 man midfield in Europe, plus scoring the penalty after John Terry slipped. He has been a good squad option, no one can doubt that. He has played a role in each competition during his time, allowing squad rotation while doing a job, that's a squad player.

No doubting his time is up and that he didn't turn out the way we wanted but he has played a part in the squad during his time, to get that amount of years out of a young Brazilian coming to England isn't bad.

Offline Bird Bird Bird The Bird Is The Word

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brace for Impact
« Reply #13131 on: December 2, 2013, 11:47:20 pm »
What's happened to Anderson and Nani, thought they would be decent players but they seem to be trying to outdo each other in the "who can disappoint the most fans" department.

• Main Stander
« Reply #13132 on: December 2, 2013, 11:50:38 pm »
What's happened to Anderson and Nani, thought they would be decent players but they seem to be trying to outdo each other in the "who can disappoint the most fans" department.
I think we know what we get with Anderson, with Nani, it's more fustration. He can be out of this world but then in the next match can go colour blind and find the oppoistion fullback with ease.

Still good to get Nani on a new deal though, we could have lost him for free which would have looked bad.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13133 on: December 2, 2013, 11:56:36 pm »
The League and Champions League in 2007/08. It was his first season and his most impressive, he played a key role in a 3 man midfield in Europe, plus scoring the penalty after John Terry slipped. He has been a good squad option, no one can doubt that. He has played a role in each competition during his time, allowing squad rotation while doing a job, that's a squad player.

No doubting his time is up and that he didn't turn out the way we wanted but he has played a part in the squad during his time, to get that amount of years out of a young Brazilian coming to England isn't bad.

So yous paid £20m for a squad player? Uniteds problem position for the last few seasons has been centre midfield. But despite the problems there anderson has never been relied on for any length of time by ferguson and now Moyes. He's failed to establish himself in the first team and I don't think he can be considered a good squad player if he can't step in when needed.

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13134 on: December 2, 2013, 11:58:52 pm »
Firstly, how do you know he will improve? He has had enough time already in and around the first team surely? 

Secondly, why did you bring Henderson's fee into this????

At this moment in time, who would you rather have at United, Cleverley or Henderson?

I said he'll improve but still be a squad player, he's 24 and at a good club, it's not unreasonable to say he will improve. (don't get me wrong here, i'm not saying he's going to become world class or anything)

I brought Henderson's fee into it because people were comparing Cleverley to Henderson.

Cleverley or Henderson? Who cares? I'm not going to debate squad filler, and that's what they both are.
Handerson didn't cost £20 million. Mind you no surprise a Manc fan swallows what Sky tell him eh.

I checked and it was £16 to £20 million, but you are probably right going for the low end, the extra £4 million was probably add ons based on you winning the league  ;D

Genuine offer to you, I will donate £5000 to a charity of your choice if United finish above Liverpool this season!  You seem so confident of this that I expect you will reciprocate...over to you. 

No thanks, i'm not in the habit of gambling large sums with random blokes on the internet.

• Main Stander
« Reply #13135 on: December 3, 2013, 12:01:21 am »
So yous paid £20m for a squad player? Uniteds problem position for the last few seasons has been centre midfield. But despite the problems there anderson has never been relied on for any length of time by ferguson and now Moyes. He's failed to establish himself in the first team and I don't think he can be considered a good squad player if he can't step in when needed.
Yes, we paid a lot of money for him, like you guys have done. However, we have got decent service out of him, if you look at the time he has spent and what he has given the squad, it's not that much per season and add the trophies during that time, it paid off in my opinion.

He played 38 games in each of his first two seasons, to say he was never relied upon is just wrong. Yes, as time went on his was used fewer times but he has had runs in the side but his injury record has never helped.

• Main Stander
« Reply #13136 on: December 3, 2013, 12:03:12 am »
but you are probably right going for the low end, the extra £4 million was probably add ons based on you winning the league  ;D
Oh shit! Run!

Offline Cantona

• Traore 1 Cantona 0
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13137 on: December 3, 2013, 12:03:31 am »
Yes, we paid a lot of money for him, like you guys have done. However, we have got decent service out of him, if you look at the time he has spent and what he has given the squad, it's not that much per season and add the trophies during that time, it paid off in my opinion.

He played 38 games in each of his first two seasons, to say he was never relied upon is just wrong. Yes, as time went on his was used fewer times but he has had runs in the side but his injury record has never helped.

Anderson was a flop mate, don't kid yourself.

• Main Stander
« Reply #13138 on: December 3, 2013, 12:09:23 am »
Anderson was a flop mate, don't kid yourself.
When looking at what our expectations were of him, yes, no doubt he was a flop.

Considering at what he has offered the squad during his time, he has been a decent squad player.

The price clouds our judgement. If he was an academy player (Cleverley), everyone would say you need players like him, when you pay for them, it's a waste. So just looking at what he has done on the pitch over the years, he has been a decent squad player that unfortunately we had to pay a bit of money for.

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13139 on: December 3, 2013, 12:15:43 am »

He might have had a decent start to his united career but he certainly didn't set the world alight. In 6 seasons with united he has only ever played more than half the number of league games once and that was his first season. His injuries may not have helped but even when "fit" he's been nowhere near first choice.

Ryan giggs is 40, a converted winger and is still ahead of him in the pecking order. Phil jones is a centre half and is also ahead of him, as is tom cleaverly who has yet to show he is good enough to be a first choice united midfielder. Ferguson begged a 36/37 year old Paul scholes to come out of retirement to play in your midfield ahead of him. That's what I'm talking about when I say he hasn't been relied on.

I have a few united supporting mates and for years I've heard them talk about Anderson's potential and I just don't get it. I've never seen anything from him to say he is, or could be, a centre midfielder good enough to hold down a place at a club like united.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2013, 12:20:49 am by campioni »

• Main Stander
« Reply #13140 on: December 3, 2013, 12:18:58 am »
He might have had a decent start to his united career but he certainly didn't set the world alight. In 6 seasons with united he has only ever played more than half the number of league games and that was his first season. His injuries may not have helped but even when "fit" he's been nowhere near first choice.

Ryan giggs is 40, a converted winger and is still ahead of him in the pecking order. Phil jones is a centre half and is also ahead of him, as is tom cleaverly who has yet to show he is good enough to be a first choice united midfielder. Ferguson begged a 36/37 year old Paul scholes to come out of retirement to play in your midfield ahead of him. That's what I'm talking about when I say he hasn't been relied on.

I have a few united supporting mates and for years I've heard them talk about Anderson's potential and I just don't get it. I've never seen anything from him to say he is, or could be, a centre midfielder good enough to hold down a place at a club like united.
Well as I have said, there is no doubting his time is up. He hasn't progressed into the player we hoped for. However, on his day he can be a quality player. He is our only player that offers any sort of drive through midfield. That's obviously not enough to keep him at the club or offer any hope but he does have great ability (you and Arsenal were very interested from memory) he just hasn't been able to produced it on a regular basis.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #13141 on: December 3, 2013, 07:12:51 am »
Re Anderson - disappointed in him overall. I don't believe he's even a decent squad rotation fella. Seen literally hundreds of players arriving - and leaving - during my time watching United (1st visit to OT was in 1952 as a 6 year old) and he's a disappointment. Don't know why that should be because he looked a decent player in his first couple of seasons . Then it all went tits up in my view. Did the fella like the off-pitch highlife stuff booze, drinks,women or what? He is a lucky lad still to be at the club because he's brought nowt to the table for a long while now.

Fancy him being out-displayed in midfield by Michael Carrick? Now don't get me wrong, Carrick is a decent SUPPORT midfielder - but he's sure as shit no leader/dynamo. I saw those potential qualities in Anderson when he first arrived - and then I saw him lose whatever it was I thought I'd seen and he should have moved on a while back. We've never had a lot of luck signing Brazilians . .  ;)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

• Main Stander
« Reply #13142 on: December 3, 2013, 07:17:55 am »
We've never had a lot of luck signing Brazilians . .  ;)
Yeh, that Rafael bloke is a joke of a player.

On Carrick, our player of the season last season, I think he is a step above decent. Ok, he doesn't stand out as your Keane type of leader but you are old enough to know that players don't have to stand out to play a major role. We wouldn't have gone close to winning the league last season without Carrick. People think it was RVP, yes he was key and his goals were crucial but Carrick was our best player, no doubt. The players and manager agree on that.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13143 on: December 3, 2013, 07:22:55 am »
Personally Rafael is another that in my view loses the plot far too easily. He's ill-disciplined and you know as well as me that his behaviour has cost us dearly on a number of occasions. He's either flawed or stupid or both - remember his nonsense with Bayern and Ribery a season or so back?
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13144 on: December 3, 2013, 07:28:08 am »
Stupid thread, the reality is they're better than us but nowhere near league winning. 
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

• Main Stander
« Reply #13145 on: December 3, 2013, 08:17:50 am »
Personally Rafael is another that in my view loses the plot far too easily. He's ill-disciplined and you know as well as me that his behaviour has cost us dearly on a number of occasions. He's either flawed or stupid or both - remember his nonsense with Bayern and Ribery a season or so back?
Common train of thought for people who 1) either don't watch enough or 2) don't understand the game. I'm not saying you are either but Rafael has matured greatly since that one mistake against a world class player. He was immense last season, his best so far. Because he is an attacking full-back, many point to him lacking in defensive qualities, where in reality, he has improved greatly in that area and is now very solid in a defensive aspect and has cut out moments of madness (he is still young, so he is going to have off days here and there). He is our best RB, last season I thought he was the best RB in the league, or probably a close 2nd behind Zabaleta.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13146 on: December 3, 2013, 08:39:43 am »
It's a fair point you make - I no longer go and neither does my son (he's 45 and just recently stopped playing/managing  - match that Ryan lad!!  :P :P)

I know that I'm an old school harsh critic mate - I was also a right fullback and I am told I was more than useful. Not bullshitting now just talking about what I consider to be important for a fullback.

First and foremost, I believe that you have to know how to defend. I mean the principles of defending. Instinctive about how you position yourself opposite where the ball is and possess an awareness of where the opponent is. For me that's your primary duty. Overlapping and being creative though important in today's game is always a secondary in my book.
To give ANY player space - never mind one that's capable of damaging you - without pressuring the ball is fatal.

Once that the ball has been won in the tackle, don't piss about dwelling on it. Get rid to someone who's better than you at distributing it and keeping the team's attacking momentum going.

I don't think I saw that in him early doors  (when I was watching :P :P) and so I retain that first view now.

IF he really has developed and learned as you who I presume are a regular watcher have said, then I'm glad - even if it was a long time in coming in my timescale terms.

I never like to hear that Smalling is at right back - he's not best equipped to play there. The biggest problem imo is that SAF never sorted a top notch replacement BEFORE Gary Nev's retirement from that key position.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13147 on: December 3, 2013, 08:43:18 am »
No thanks, i'm not in the habit of gambling large sums with random blokes on the internet.
It's not a gamble when it goes to charity is it. It all goes to a good cause, and one of your choice. So back that 'swagger' of yours up and bet him a sum you deem reasonable to give to charity you mouthy miserable fuck!

• Main Stander
« Reply #13148 on: December 3, 2013, 08:49:05 am »
Well I can assure you that Rafael is now the type of fullback that you like. He chooses his times to get forward and is now seen as a right back, not a wing back. He had one stinker last season where he got pulled in the first half from memory but other than that, he was all you could ask for from a fullback.

In his early days, yes he was very immature, I give you that.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13149 on: December 3, 2013, 08:54:06 am »
It's not a gamble when it goes to charity is it. It all goes to a good cause, and one of your choice. So back that 'swagger' of yours up and bet him a sum you deem reasonable to give to charity you mouthy miserable fuck!

It's still a gamble as you still stand to lose the dosh.  Doesn't matter who you lose it to.  But anyway, send him a link to our performance v Hull and maybe that will encourage him to take the bet!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13150 on: December 3, 2013, 08:55:10 am »
Pleased that he's improved.

Thanks for the illumination Eric.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13151 on: December 3, 2013, 09:08:38 am »
Januzaj nominated for YSPOTY. They really want him to play for England don't they?

Offline Jshooters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Occasionally inspirational
« Reply #13152 on: December 3, 2013, 09:08:46 am »
Nomination for young SPOTY......can you guess who?

The Manchester United winger has started just four league games and played a total of 537 minutes of senior football.

Believer

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13153 on: December 3, 2013, 09:09:11 am »
It's still a gamble as you still stand to lose the dosh.  Doesn't matter who you lose it to.  But anyway, send him a link to our performance v Hull and maybe that will encourage him to take the bet!
Is it a gamble to help a good cause? i dont see it that way.
Either way money will be going to a charity of Kantonas choice, even if he ends up out of pocket, he decides where it goes. Everyone a winner. Im full of xmas spirit :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13154 on: December 3, 2013, 09:50:06 am »
I've enjoyed this page - the sensible uncle bring his two scrote nephews in line!

Yes, you've won lots with Anderson there but he was never a really pivotal part of it. He promised much and when signed was ridiculously highly rated as an attacking midfielder wasn't he? But Fergie saw he was, erm, robust, and decided he could turn him into someone who played a bit deeper and in a more combative role. Had he had a crack in his preferred position would things have been different?

No offence intended Johnno! :D

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13155 on: December 3, 2013, 09:51:24 am »

The Manchester United winger has started just four league games and played a total of 537 minutes of senior football.

Haha that is absolutely hilarious. Based on his two goals v Sunderland? Who else is on the shortlist? I trust Berhaino (I'll spell it right one day!) is on there too?

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13156 on: December 3, 2013, 10:01:34 am »
Common train of thought for people who 1) either don't watch enough or 2) don't understand the game. I'm not saying you are either but Rafael has matured greatly since that one mistake against a world class player.
their only bloody going around abusing the mancs that we like now ::)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13157 on: December 3, 2013, 10:03:42 am »
It's honestly a bit embarrassing to read this YSPOTY about Januzaj - for the very obvious reasons listed above. To put it plainly the lad's done nowt other than show he's a potential talent. I am close to despairing at the way the media grip on our game is more and more heading.

And Nick re Anderson comments, a good summary in my opinion - and no offence taken mate. :D

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #13158 on: December 3, 2013, 10:14:46 am »

An absolute joke that nomination - especially when you read about the other nominees and their achievements. 

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13159 on: December 3, 2013, 10:18:34 am »
An absolute joke that nomination - especially when you read about the other nominees and their achievements.
well Giggs won SPOTY after playing 16 odd league games that year as a token gesture to his longevity in the game so why not Januzaj for the youth version eh