Author Topic: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium  (Read 950601 times)

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Re: The Tennis Thread - Sponsored By Melt-downium
« Reply #13840 on: June 8, 2021, 09:35:39 pm »
This Tsitsipas - Medvedev match is going to be a good one. First set to Tsitsipas but Medvedev has gotten back into the 2nd.

Looks like Tsitsipas will go two sets up
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13841 on: June 8, 2021, 10:31:20 pm »
Hugely impressive straight sets win by Tsitsipas. Medvedev tried an underarm serve at match point down and it ...did not work.

Tsitsipas has looked really good this clay court season and hopefully he can give Zverev a hiding in the semis.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13842 on: June 9, 2021, 01:24:03 pm »
The winner of the womens will come from the Swiatek vs Sakkari match.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13843 on: June 9, 2021, 02:02:48 pm »
Literally never heard of any of the female semi finalists.

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13844 on: June 9, 2021, 02:21:46 pm »

Sakkari looks like she could snap you in two in an arm-wrestling contest.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13845 on: June 9, 2021, 04:08:54 pm »
The winner of the womens will come from the Swiatek vs Sakkari match.
Can't disagree with that.

Not a bad thing?

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13846 on: June 9, 2021, 04:44:08 pm »
Good to see Nadal getting tested.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13847 on: June 9, 2021, 04:52:42 pm »

Would be nicer to see him getting booted but it's the hardest job in tennis to beat him here.

Maybe the hardest thing in anything sport.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13848 on: June 9, 2021, 05:05:06 pm »
Sometimes it feels less like a test and more like someone poking a bear

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13849 on: June 9, 2021, 05:07:54 pm »

The French Open needs a new winner. Enter Sakkari.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13850 on: June 9, 2021, 05:15:38 pm »
Nadal just found another level.

Djokovic could still beat him here.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13851 on: June 9, 2021, 05:28:54 pm »
Probably Maria Sakkari v Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova in a Roland Garros final.

Offline Dan The Man 28373

• Legacy Fan
  • We Always win in Rome!!
« Reply #13852 on: June 9, 2021, 05:31:21 pm »
What's the likelihood of 2 Greek winners in the French Open?  I think Tsitsipas & Sakkari will at least be finalists.  Greece not exactly a hotbed of tennis though.

Krejcikova is one of the best doubles player in the world, no 1 seed in the mixed (got beaten in the quarters) & is no 2 seed in the women's & through to the semis.  She's obviously on her way up in the singles rankings as well, well into the top 30.  She may suffer fatigue in either of her semi finals, having played 11 games already during the tournament.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #13853 on: June 9, 2021, 06:44:23 pm »
Not a bad thing?
It's always nice to get new, fresh faces into the mix.

The problem with women's tennis however, is it's been a revolving door for years now. Only Williams, and recently Osaka had shown any kind of consistency.

It just becomes meaningless after a while, one new face wins it, articles come out saying this player could go places, and you'd never hear from them in meaningful fashion again.

We had a few that reached no.1 world ranking without actually winning a grand slam. That can't be right. There aren't many (or any) rivalries, it's just put some names in a bag and pull out two for the final.

I'm not even sure what the solution to this revolving door is.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #13854 on: June 9, 2021, 08:02:24 pm »
Nadal just found another level.

Djokovic could still beat him here.
If Nadal plays to his best he'll beat Djokovic, he is just a level above at RG. I don't think there is a player that's ever existed whose more suited to a particular tournament.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13855 on: June 9, 2021, 08:34:06 pm »
It's always nice to get new, fresh faces into the mix.

The problem with women's tennis however, is it's been a revolving door for years now. Only Williams, and recently Osaka had shown any kind of consistency.

It just becomes meaningless after a while, one new face wins it, articles come out saying this player could go places, and you'd never hear from them in meaningful fashion again.

We had a few that reached no.1 world ranking without actually winning a grand slam. That can't be right. There aren't many (or any) rivalries, it's just put some names in a bag and pull out two for the final.

I'm not even sure what the solution to this revolving door is.

Strange....I don't think it's even an issue that needs a solution.

I quite like the fact that the womens top 10 aren't streets ahead of the others, and that anyone in the top 50 has a chance of winning a competition, if they bring their best tennis.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 08:44:21 pm by Red-Soldier »

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #13856 on: June 9, 2021, 08:38:08 pm »

I quite like the fact that the womens top 10 aren't streets ahead of he others, and that anyone in the top 50 has a chance winning a competition, if they bring their best tennis.

Agreed.

I think some people are just pissed off they can't make easy money betting on the favourites :P
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Online Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13857 on: June 9, 2021, 10:06:42 pm »

I quite like the fact that the womens top 10 aren't streets ahead of the others, and that anyone in the top 50 has a chance of winning a competition, if they bring their best tennis.

You follow tennis, so you know all these players. For a sport to continue to thrive it needs people at the top of the sport that people who don't follow the Strasbourg Open can recognise. Tennis is quite fortunate I suppose because most of their big events are held simultaneously with the men's, so they are guaranteed funding and sponsorship even when it doesn't have people like Serena Williams to carry it but people aren't tuning in numbers to watch the final on Saturday, like they will be on Sunday when Nadal or Djokovic are playing.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2021, 10:08:32 pm by Gerry Attrick »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13858 on: June 9, 2021, 10:48:56 pm »
Not had the pleasure of posting this for a while.

But Djokovic, what a knobhead.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13859 on: June 9, 2021, 10:54:03 pm »
Someone told him he had to get another vaccine at the end there.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13860 on: June 10, 2021, 07:08:44 am »
You follow tennis, so you know all these players. For a sport to continue to thrive it needs people at the top of the sport that people who don't follow the Strasbourg Open can recognise. Tennis is quite fortunate I suppose because most of their big events are held simultaneously with the men's, so they are guaranteed funding and sponsorship even when it doesn't have people like Serena Williams to carry it but people aren't tuning in numbers to watch the final on Saturday, like they will be on Sunday when Nadal or Djokovic are playing.

Serena is close to 40 and, amazing though she is, she has been managing her schedule for a while. The tennis players who will become the faces of the sport, on the women's side, will just come through exposure in tournaments such as this.

Tennis has taken a battering because of what happened with Osaka more than who made it through a tournament.

Don't worry, he's going out tomorrow. Sad for me though because I like the guy who is gonna do it even less.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13861 on: June 10, 2021, 07:47:17 am »

What’s he done now ?

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13862 on: June 10, 2021, 07:56:04 am »
What’s he done now ?

Was yet roaring and shouting away to his box in an otherwise empty stadium, first when he wasted a match point and then when he won.

Hadn’t seen much of Berettini before. Big serve and forehand was a real handful but his backhand was pretty weak. Good to watch though.

Online Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13863 on: June 10, 2021, 08:28:02 am »
Was yet roaring and shouting away to his box in an otherwise empty stadium, first when he wasted a match point and then when he won.

Hadn’t seen much of Berettini before. Big serve and forehand was a real handful but his backhand was pretty weak. Good to watch though.

Standard from him. At least, he wasn't feigning injury.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13864 on: June 10, 2021, 08:37:04 am »
Standard from him. At least, he wasn't feigning injury.

He did have a couple of falls but sadly no real damage done.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #13865 on: June 10, 2021, 09:45:35 am »
Not strange at all though. You need rivalries, you need that familiarity of certain faces of the same players going at it and all the drama that brings. All of sports from Snooker to footy to tennis itself to F1 has been at its most compelling when you find some history between the two competitors going at it.

A cinderella story is a wonderful thing, but it is wonderful because it doesn't happen every tournament. We just had the French Open champion -the highest seed remaining- get wiped out in straight sets on the surface she's had most success in. This wasn't an epic 6-7 7-6 7-5 tussle, just skittled out in straight sets by a relative nobody.

The Women's world No.1 ranked player only has 1 grand slam to her name, and she won it 2 years ago.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13866 on: June 10, 2021, 10:49:09 am »

On purely a sporting level, personality aside, I actually really liked seeing his reaction. The guy is one of the best players in the games history and I think him reacting like that after so many slams already shows what type of obsessive nutcase it takes to be that ridiculously good almost every single year. Sure Rafa and Federer have their own ways of showing it but everyone is different. Kind of like seeing that rage of passion though, much more revealing than a fall to the floor and then clapping the crowd with your racquet, not that there's anything wrong with that either  ;D

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #13867 on: June 10, 2021, 11:51:34 am »
I don’t dispute his insane talent and I don’t dispute that you could easily make a case for him being the best ever.

Can’t help it though, I just really dislike Djokovic. Hope Nadal wins but never, ever write off the Serb. Weird that Federer will eventually have the third most slams.

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13868 on: June 10, 2021, 11:56:18 am »
I don’t dispute his insane talent and I don’t dispute that you could easily make a case for him being the best ever.

Can’t help it though, I just really dislike Djokovic. Hope Nadal wins but never, ever write off the Serb. Weird that Federer will eventually have the third most slams.

I'll always love Federer the most, it would take a hell of a lot for me to stop disliking Nadal the most.

Djokovic may be the best of all time and he won't be as remembered as either man.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13869 on: June 10, 2021, 12:00:18 pm »

He can be very dislikable for sure, and yes very odd Federer may well end up with less, he is the best ever imo but in the future some people tend to just gauge it on titles won.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #13870 on: June 10, 2021, 12:03:38 pm »
Before this generation came along who was regarded as the greatest ever? Fairly sure it wasn’t unanimously regarded as Sampras, more like Rod Laver or one of the older generation wasn’t it?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13871 on: June 10, 2021, 12:07:24 pm »
Before this generation came along who was regarded as the greatest ever? Fairly sure it wasn’t unanimously regarded as Sampras, more like Rod Laver or one of the older generation wasn’t it?

Tiger Tim

Offline Wild Romany Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13872 on: June 10, 2021, 12:14:28 pm »

Sampras never had much success on clay. Sure, Federer was always stopped by Nadal but he's one of the greatest clay courters of all time playing in an era where the greatest one is present. All the big three have won all 4 slams, Djoko has held them all simultaneously. This level of skill across all surfaces - and they are closer to uniform than back in the day, helping someone with Nadal's skillset - is almost unprecedented.

I think Laver was regarded as the best, though maybe not unanimously. Always difficult to say across eras but, for me, combining the skills that make you go 'wow' and the winning element, Novak is the one for me.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13873 on: June 10, 2021, 12:38:01 pm »
Everyone says Rafa Nadal is the king of clay, but I've never seen him make a ceramic bowl like I did at school.

Fraud.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13874 on: June 10, 2021, 06:27:51 pm »
What time is Nadal v Djokovic?

Offline Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #13875 on: June 10, 2021, 07:07:04 pm »
What time is Nadal v Djokovic?
Tomorrow not before 4.30. Other men's semi is before it.

Cracking women's semi on at moment - 5-5 in last set.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13876 on: June 10, 2021, 07:22:27 pm »
Some game this.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13877 on: June 10, 2021, 07:49:56 pm »
Absolute quality semi that!  Not the greatest standard, but the drama and tension was right up there!

Didn't have a clue who would win it.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #13878 on: June 10, 2021, 07:50:19 pm »
Brilliant match between Sakkari and Krejcikova. Shame there had to be a loser.

Who gives a shit if they're not the top seeds, it was quality entertainment.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13879 on: June 10, 2021, 07:52:16 pm »
Brilliant match between Sakkari and Krejcikova. Shame there had to be a loser.

Who gives a shit if they're not the top seeds, it was quality entertainment.

Exactly.  Kind of pisses all over the moaners chips  ;)