Author Topic: 2013 Six Nations Rugby thread  (Read 65529 times)

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
2013 Six Nations Rugby thread
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:13:15 pm »
Winter is almost over. Spring is coming, which means that next Saturday it's Six Nations time.

I love this time of year - everyone is so (blindly) optimistic about their chances, and I think it's pretty open this year.

But I think it's obvious that {insert your country here} are going to win it because {insert reason of choice here}.
Personally I'm gong for Ireland to win because Declan Kidney is the most dynamic, innovative coach around it could be O'Driscoll's final 6N and we have England and France at home. 

Of course we have the additional factor of the Lions tour this year and the captaincy for that is the most open in years.

Here are the fixture list (and I ask you - Wales v Ireland starting at 1.30 - what are they playing at?)

Sat 2nd Feb   13:30   Wales      v   Ireland      Millennium Stadium
Sat 2nd Feb   16:00   England      v   Scotland   Twickenham
Sun 3rd Feb   15:00   Italy      v   France      Stadio Olimpico
Sat 9th Feb   14:30   Scotland   v   Italy      Murrayfield
Sat 9th Feb   17:00   France      v   Wales      Stade de France
Sun 10th Feb   15:00   Ireland      v   England      Aviva Stadium
Sat 23rd Feb   14:30   Italy      v   Wales      Stadio Olimpico
Sat 23rd Feb   17:00   England      v   France      Twickenham
Sun 24th Feb   14:00   Scotland   v   Ireland      Murrayfield
Sat 9th Mar   14:30   Scotland   v   Wales      Murrayfield
Sat 9th Mar   17:00   Ireland      v   France      Aviva Stadium
Sun 10th Mar   15:00   England      v   Italy      Twickenham
Sat 16th Mar   14:30   Italy      v   Ireland      Stadio Olimpico
Sat 16th Mar   17:00   Wales      v   England      Millennium Stadium
Sat 16th Mar   20:00   France      v   Scotland   Stade de France

I would imagine that England should be favourites over France: 3 home games v two, and France have to travel to Dublin and Twickenham, and Wales and Ireland have had, let's be charitable, mixed results recently.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:16:31 pm by Ray K »
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: 2013 Six Nations Rugby thread
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 07:26:06 pm »
Great I love this thread. I will be bold and make a prediction too. I think Wales, Scotland, Ireland or France will win the six nations this year. Don't say that I do not take risks.  8)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 07:43:40 pm »
We won't win it. Not a chance with the amount of injuries we've got at the moment and Rob Howley making decisions.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 07:58:55 pm »
Nice one Ray.

Okay I'm German English so will be going for England.

Am at Twickenham for the Scotland game next weekend, cant wait.

I think Wales have had an awful Autumn series and Ireland are not the team they used to be.

So I'm going for England, then France.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 08:00:32 pm »
France will win it, everyone else is horrific.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 08:09:35 pm »
France will win in Ireland, they always do. England will beat France. England will lose to one or both of Ireland and Wales.

Just waiting for Anywhichway to give some more concrete predictions before choosing the alternative.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2013, 08:12:53 pm »
I think France will win the Grand Slam. I've just seen it's 13/2 I'll most definitely be having some of that.

England are bookies favourite? Surely some sort of bias at play, there?

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
I think France will win the Grand Slam. I've just seen it's 13/2 I'll most definitely be having some of that.

Probably not. They finished 2nd last year, 3 pts ahead of France (who finished below us, and we were shite), and 2 behind Wales. Wales have gone backwards under Howley so England, with France at home, and a recent home home over the ABs, are de facto favourites.

The odds on no GS winner at 5/3 look very tempting to me.  Every side has question marks and can easily be beaten especially away.

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 08:58:04 pm »
Can,t wait for this!

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2013, 10:10:13 pm »

Probably an element of that but I think Ray has it right too. I won't be making any claims because it's too tight to call I think and I agree on no Grand Slam winners but I guess the bookies are thinking England should win at least 2 at home and have a decent chance to beat France too. They probably think they could win one away against Wales or Ireland and 4 wins could be enough to win it this year. Not that far fetched is it?

That said, I can see England v Scotland being very tight (and poor!). The last few games between them have been and I think our midfield will lack a cutting edge without Tuilagi.

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:33 pm »
Thank god this is on, should be a good weekend next week with 6 nations and the Superbowl, can forget about football for a while.

Can't see anyone getting the Grand Slam, favourites for me are France, England and Ireland in that order. One thing I can confidently predict is that Deccie will get the blame for any Irish defeat and none of the credit for any Irish win  ;)

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:09 pm »
One thing I can confidently predict is that Deccie will get the blame for any Irish defeat

Anywhich will get his fair share too. Mainly because he'll have assured us you were going to win by 20 points.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 10:39:22 pm »
Looking forward to this enormously. Are England on the up or was the AB a one off?
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 11:29:14 pm »
I'm hoping for Ireland, as usual  ;D

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 11:59:11 pm »
Ireland obviously.

Ah no.I like Rugby but dont follow it weekly and dont follow any club sides so does anyone with a respectable opinion know who are favourites and how are Ireland set for this year?

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2013, 12:07:15 am »
Ireland obviously.

Ah no.I like Rugby but dont follow it weekly and dont follow any club sides so does anyone with a respectable opinion know who are favourites and how are Ireland set for this year?

I'd have France as favorites, as on their day, they'll tear any side in the Six Nations assunder. Yes England beat the All Blacks, but I'm not impressed by these one off phenomena. Also, the All Blacks having a giggle under the posts, showed how seriously they were taking it. England are far too inconsistent, to do their stuff over a succession of games, in my opinion.

Ireland could do well, assuming we see a bit of invention from Kidney. I fancy us to beat England in Dublin, but I think France will hammer us into the middle of the Atlantic. Should pick up routine victories in Cardiff, Edinburgh and Rome.

Offline eLToRo

• Legacy Fan
  • Living the dream
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 12:16:44 am »
I'd have France as favorites, as on their day, they'll tear any side in the Six Nations assunder. Yes England beat the All Blacks, but I'm not impressed by these one off phenomena. Also, the All Blacks having a giggle under the posts, showed how seriously they were taking it. England are far too inconsistent, to do their stuff over a succession of games, in my opinion.

Ireland could do well, assuming we see a bit of invention from Kidney. I fancy us to beat England in Dublin, but I think France will hammer us into the middle of the Atlantic. Should pick up routine victories in Cardiff, Edinburgh and Rome.

So you think we are stronger than Wales,Scotland and Italy?

Should beat England at home.

So the French game could be huge but we have been muck v them the last few years.Its at home though so Il be optimistic on the day.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:23:18 am »
So you think we are stronger than Wales,Scotland and Italy?

Should beat England at home.

So the French game could be huge but we have been muck v them the last few years.Its at home though so Il be optimistic on the day.

I'd personally be disgusted if we don't beat Wales, Scotland and Italy, mate.

I'll be disappointed with defeat against England.

In saying that, given how absolutely unpredictable we are, I could see us losing to France, England and Wales, with our only victories coming against Scotland and Italy.

Offline Rigden

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:54:19 am »
Already got tickets for the home games at Murrayfield against Wales and Ireland. Can't wait.
“Fans are great, but the quickest way to start losing is to listen to them.” – Sam Pollock

Offline barnowl123

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 01:24:18 pm »
I see Tuilagi's out of Saturday's game. Burns is out too so England's 12 & 13 are going to be pretty uninspiring!

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 01:32:16 pm »
This is one of my favourite non-football tournaments.

Wales winning it last year was a great moment, but I can't really see them winning all their games again but who knows. Either them or England will win it I think.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2013, 02:00:30 pm »
Wales is not in good form right now but maybe they'll pick it for the tournament.

Six Nations is the best, along with the Heineken Cup  ;D

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2013, 02:30:18 pm »
the preoblem england have got is that the win against new zealand have completely shifted expectations.

as others have said i can't see a grand slam. our recent record in dublin is horrific. france are favourites for me.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2013, 02:36:25 pm »

While I agree that England are inconsistent I do take exceptin to this (you swine!). New Zealand never treat a rugby international as a bit of a giggle. There's full on enquiries whenever they lose. I think you're referring to Kieron Reid uunder the posts - who knows what he was saying it and how he was expressing it. I very much they weren't particularly bothered though.

That said, England's record in Dublin is shocking. Not won theer since 2003 I guess, apart from that World Cup warm up game.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2013, 03:15:08 pm »
So whats up with Zebo? Not in the squad.

Offline Carly

• Rafa Obsessive. Wales Rugby Union fan. Defianately!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2013, 03:29:41 pm »
FFS just noticed Alex Corbisiero is missing the whole six nations.  I thought he was only gonna miss the first 1or 2.  That's a huge loss for England.

Offline JackBauer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Some statistics
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2013, 06:01:16 pm »
I'm going to Twickenham on Saturday. On the basis that it's currently sunny and in the high 80s where I am, I am going to freeze my bollocks off, aren't I?
DAMMIT!

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2013, 09:05:52 pm »
So whats up with Zebo? Not in the squad.

He's in the 33 man squad, but I haven't seen if he's reduced that squad size since.

Trimble isn't.  Team announced lunchtime tomorrow.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2013, 09:07:37 pm »
Oh right, good  :)

I was looking at the 33 man squad but didn't see him.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2013, 10:12:38 pm »
FFS just noticed Alex Corbisiero is missing the whole six nations.  I thought he was only gonna miss the first 1or 2.  That's a huge loss for England.

Hmm, not overly fussed, plenty of options in the front row. Manu missing is a far bigger setback.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2013, 10:47:41 pm »
Hmm, not overly fussed, plenty of options in the front row. Manu missing is a far bigger setback.

presumably we'll shift farrell to 13 and play flood at 10?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:18 pm »
We won't win it. Not a chance with the amount of injuries we've got at the moment and Rob Howley making decisions.
I'm with you on that mate. We're fucked this year. It's between the English and the French with the Irish in and around in case either aren't up to it.

We've only got 2 games at home as well, considering how utterly unmotivated the squads looked for all of Howley's games in charge, coupled with the injuries and all the problems with the regions.... it's going to be a fucking long, long 6 nations for us.

Not looking forward to it in the slightest, and honestly i can't remember the last time i felt this fucking flat about this tournament from a Welsh perspective.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 11:09:33 pm »
On BBC America for those RAWK-ites stateside.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline redmen9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2013, 12:25:43 pm »
Wales will do well to beat Scotland and Italy away, the others I see us losing to.  Ireland will be pumped against us and with our casualty list and Rob Howler in charge, I can only see us being comfortably beaten. 

England seem to have been building well but have a few injuries in key positions themselves.  They and Ireland will challenge for second place.  Can't see beyond the French myself.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2013, 12:52:06 pm »
Just got a ticket for Twickenham Saturday. Nice.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2013, 12:53:10 pm »
France will win it, everyone else is horrific.
Excellent news that France will now definitely not win the tournament ;)

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2013, 01:24:50 pm »
Ireland to win,,as ever,,Cant believe the 1.30 KO time on Saturday...Stupid decision,,,There will be rioting in the Valleys should Wales lose that early in the day.
bollocks

Online Ray K

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2013, 01:44:40 pm »
Irish team named - Gilroy and Zebo on wings

Ireland team to play Wales at Millennium Stadium, Saturday 2 February, kick-off 13:30:
15 Rob Kearney 14 Craig Gilroy 13 Brian O'Driscoll 12 Gordon D'Arcy 11 Simon Zebo 10 Jonathan Sexton 9 Conor Murray
1 Cian Healy 2 Rory Best 3 Mike Ross 4 Mike McCarthy 5 Donncha Ryan 6 Peter O'Mahony 7 Sean O'Brien 8 Jamie Heaslip.

Replacements: 16 Sean Cronin 17 David Kilcoyne 18 Declan Fitzpatrick 19 Donnacha O'Callaghan 20 Chris Henry 21 Eoin Reddan 22 Ronan O'Gara 23 Keith Earls

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2013, 01:53:39 pm »
Good stuff.

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2013, 04:10:31 pm »