Author Topic: PREVIEW: Manchester United v Liverpool, Sunday January 13th 1.30pm  (Read 157948 times)

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
Re: PREVIEW: Manchester United v Liverpool, Sunday January 13th 1.30pm
« Reply #160 on: January 7, 2013, 09:53:51 pm »
Pity about Enrique.

Would have liked to have seen him in front three again, his strength, Suarez' guile, and Sturridges pace and movement.
Would have been a real handful for their defence.

Would be ok if Kelly wasn't out too, think he'd well be up for the mancs!! and with Johnson covering left back we wouldn't be left too open defensively

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #161 on: January 7, 2013, 09:57:57 pm »
Pity about Enrique.

Would have liked to have seen him in front three again, his strength, Suarez' guile, and Sturridges pace and movement.

Typical though, two full backs injured long term, one during a Man Utd match, one just before.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: January 7, 2013, 09:59:25 pm »
Would be ok if Kelly wasn't out too, think he'd well be up for the mancs!! and with Johnson covering left back we wouldn't be left too open defensively

We either have a rookie rightback and Johnson at Leftback, or a rookie leftback and Johnson where he belongs, neither scenario ideal. A lot will come down to who Utd play wide in Brendans planning. Giggs is a more skillful player, but Young is quicker, but dives a lot. Personally I'd go with the rookie against Giggs, less likely to cheat**. I'd definately steer clear of Downing at Leftback, we need a proper defender in there against this lot.

**Unless there's females on the pitch.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 7, 2013, 10:01:27 pm »
Typical though, two full backs injured long term, one during a Man Utd match, one just before.

Yep.
And yet again our lack of genuine LB cover is going to leave us woefully exposed, and/or neccessitate the playing of one of our best attacking threats out of position.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 7, 2013, 10:03:13 pm »
Reminding the refs of our poor luck with officials has done nothing for Rodgers or Kenny. In fact, he's been quiet in recent weeks and decisions have been fine. In fact, we've got lucky a few times.

We've not played any major sides in that period, like it or not Ferguson will come out with such comments before the game, and they will have an impact on the mindset of the officials

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: January 7, 2013, 10:08:23 pm »
We've not played any major sides in that period, like it or not Ferguson will come out with such comments before the game, and they will have an impact on the mindset of the officials

What's the betting it won't be a snidey dig. It will be delivered in a jocular manner with a chuckle following closely, but everyone will know the intent, and no doubt heed the warning. And no doubt if Suarez is near the ball and it bounces above knee height they'll be getting a free kick as Webb looks to atone for Sunday's perceived  mistake by Mariner.

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #166 on: January 7, 2013, 10:08:54 pm »
We either have a rookie rightback and Johnson at Leftback, or a rookie leftback and Johnson where he belongs, neither scenario ideal. A lot will come down to who Utd play wide in Brendans planning. Giggs is a more skillful player, but Young is quicker, but dives a lot. Personally I'd go with the rookie against Giggs, less likely to cheat**. I'd definately steer clear of Downing at Leftback, we need a proper defender in there against this lot.

True, but I rate Kelly more than Wisdom and Robinson truth be told, he has the making of a Liverpool legend and has the physical prowess, just lacking big game experience IMO

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: January 7, 2013, 10:11:09 pm »

Downing, he gives us a threat. Wisdom at times can be bamboozled. Stewart will be up for this, plus we could do with some experienced heads.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: January 7, 2013, 10:11:34 pm »

Agger at left back maybe? Not ideal but good defender and handy going forward. Not a big fan of Wisdom personally and Downing could have problems with Valencia although he did keep Lennon at bay away at Spurs. That said, he still scored arriving late at the back post, Hernandez could be ready to pounce similarly, as he usually does. Or even 3 at the back with Agger slightly covering for Downing. Who knows. It will be interesting though.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 10:14:28 pm by Thog »

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: January 7, 2013, 10:14:34 pm »
Why the hell wouldn't wisdom play? He has done fine. No ticket for me and after seeing Webb get the game I might not actually watch it. It's come to the point where I hate the anger that man and his decisions bring out in me.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: January 7, 2013, 10:15:16 pm »
Agger at left back maybe? Not ideal but good defender and handy going forward. Not a big fan of Wisdom and Downing could have problems with Valencia although he did keep Lennon at bay away at Spurs. That said, he still scored arriving late at the back post, Hernandez could be ready to pounce similarly, as he usually does.

And who in place of Agger? Carra? Coates? Carra defo got the passion, but my 6 year old has more pace than him and he gets opened up against the pacier teams nowadays, Coates needs more regular game time, I think a season loan would do him wonders, but really when are we going to drop Agger or Skrtel for Coates? it's a shame as I think he will make a boss defender though I think if he doesn't get regular first team football in a year he will be gone  :butt

Offline rakey_lfc

• pwned by Ronaldo...and eBay
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a people's man - only the people matter.”
« Reply #171 on: January 7, 2013, 10:17:01 pm »
6/4 with paddy power for a penalty to be awarded in the game!

I don't know what to make of the build up to this game! Not overconfident not under confident? Very much hoping Win or lose we're talking about how well the boys played and not about the referee! Obviously winning would make it much easier to talk aboutb
SUPPORT AND BELIEVE

You'll Never Walk Alone

Xbox 360 gamertag - TonyB1604

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #172 on: January 7, 2013, 10:20:01 pm »
Why the hell wouldn't wisdom play? He has done fine. No ticket for me and after seeing Webb get the game I might not actually watch it. It's come to the point where I hate the anger that man and his decisions bring out in me.

Wisdom is getting there, he has good physical presence but is still inexperienced and can hesitate/make poor decisions in passing back too often, a year or 2 and the lad will be there, though we need seasoned professionals for games against the likes of the bitters as those mistakes against top sides can be costly.

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: January 7, 2013, 10:20:33 pm »
Another closet Howard Webb fan here. A bit of a homer, but consistently so. Think he generally controls games well and has the respect of most of the players. Consistency is all you can expect from a ref.

Anyhow less about that, I'm excited about the game and terrified in equal measure. All sorts of results are possible. The only one I would doubt is a 0-0. I think they will be equally scared of our attackers as we are of theirs. For me, it'll all come down to the midfield and no silly challenges.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: January 7, 2013, 10:22:25 pm »
Wisdom is getting there, he has good physical presence but is still inexperienced and can hesitate/make poor decisions in passing back too often, a year or 2 and the lad will be there, though we need seasoned professionals for games against the likes of the bitters as those mistakes against top sides can be costly.

Seasoned professionals?? Carra, downing etc, lets get Charlie Adam back and Peter crouch. We will win fuck all this season so give the lad a run. He has pace and mobile he can cope.
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: January 7, 2013, 10:23:17 pm »

Who would you rather have? They all love Man Utd.

Offline Warks Moustache

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 7, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »
Can we please not lose? That's all I want...(and maybe a Suarez hatrick of handballs).

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: January 7, 2013, 10:24:32 pm »
Who would you rather have? They all love Man Utd.

As a choice, Clattenburg, but Webb's ok. Halsey or Dowd would terrify the hell out of me at OT.
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #178 on: January 7, 2013, 10:25:30 pm »
Wisdom's done fine for a young, promising lad, but as you say - it only takes 1 mistake to seal a 1-0 loss. All it takes is that eensy, teensy loss of concentration and it's all over. BLAM!

It would be interesting to see who we go with - Johnson/Wisdom, Johnson/Flanagan or Johnson/Robinson. Anyway - that potential for a mistake is written all over these young lads- and they know it!
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 10:27:44 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #179 on: January 7, 2013, 10:27:29 pm »
Pity about Enrique.

Yep. Very positive suprise him showing such qualities in attack...He looks three times the player when playing upfront.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 7, 2013, 10:29:18 pm »
As a choice, Clattenburg, but Webb's ok. Halsey or Dowd would terrify the hell out of me at OT.

He´s got them all in his pocket..
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #181 on: January 7, 2013, 10:36:57 pm »
He´s got them all in his pocket..
Dirty- and a cheat, as a player and even worse as a manager. Hope his nemesis forces the absolute piss out of him. I want to see him turn red and go batshit at the officials. Then get sent to the stands.

He's made some confusing decisions when it comes to Liverpool over the years and I just hope that for some reason, he puts out Wellbeck. Compared to Daniel, he's got the precision of a cement gnome on an ice skating rink.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #182 on: January 7, 2013, 10:45:25 pm »
You know what, chuck on Robinson at LB. Lad needs to learn to play the big boys eventually - why not let him have a go against the Mancs. It's tragic to lose both Enrique and Wisdom but at least this may allow Johnson to play on his favoured side. An enforced choice but one with potentially good long term benefits.

I said it three weeks ago after the Stoke loss that I predict us winning three league games on the bounce (this one included) and I still believe we have what it takes to beat these bastards. This view was reinforced when I saw Newcastle (NEWCASTLE!) score 3 goals against them. I'm confident we'll get a win eventhough it's pretty much all bravado at this point.

I want to see a starting three of Downing, Sturridge and Suarez. Downing has done enough in the last couple of months to show that he is much better than the player we all thought he was (and that he has shown) in the 18 months prior. For me, he just needs to play with the confidence that he has found, not play the ball backwards as much and take the likes of Evra and Rafael on.

Fuck I'm already getting pumped for this game and it's a week away. Come on you Reds!
« Last Edit: January 8, 2013, 11:03:04 am by The 5th Benitle »

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 7, 2013, 10:57:15 pm »
Nailed on penalty for a Suarez handball that doesn't even hit him - it's almost guaranteed.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #184 on: January 7, 2013, 10:59:06 pm »

Its Webb, no need to say a word.  The bent bobby knows what he has to do.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Scouserpool

• Legacy Fan
  • https://twitter.com/Thommas86
« Reply #185 on: January 7, 2013, 11:01:15 pm »
Cheers for that Phil! Webb is one of the best refs in the world. More worried about right back. Wisdom? Not sure, damn it Enrique. Think Sturridge will start and eventually dance on sunday, fluid attack with him interchanging with suarez
PSN: delete_one

"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later." Bob Paisley

"I want to use the incredible support to make coming to Anfield the longest 90 minutes of an opponent’s life." Brendan Rodgers

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
« Reply #186 on: January 7, 2013, 11:13:52 pm »
Webb is the ref  :o is that a wind up  ???
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: January 7, 2013, 11:29:27 pm »
Webb is the ref  :o is that a wind up  ???

The fact that it has its own story on the BBC Sport website just goes to show that everyone knows what a shite, shocking, home banker of an appointment it is.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: January 7, 2013, 11:31:15 pm »
Take yer pick

Martin Atkinson
Howard Webb
Mike Dean
Phil Dowd
Chris Foy

Mike Jones
Lee Mason

Michael Oliver
Lee Probert
Anthony Taylor
Mark Clattenburg
Kevin Friend
Andre Marriner
Jonathan Moss
Mark Halsey
Neil Swarbrick
Roger East
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: January 7, 2013, 11:32:31 pm »
Id take a point right now. Lets hope Agger and Skrtel have the game of thier lives trying to stop RvP while Suarez and Sturridge do some damage up in the other end.

Henderson, Lucas and Gerrard in midfield.

If we play Allen I fear he'd get bullied in midfield.

Offline Gazza-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: January 7, 2013, 11:33:45 pm »
Honestly who else would you prefer for this game? Webb is the best of a bad bunch but give me Webb over Dowd or Halsey anyday of the week.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: January 7, 2013, 11:33:58 pm »

If we play Allen I fear he'd get bullied in midfield.

And if it looks like he's going to boss it he will get sent off - ala Shelvey.

Offline L.Suarez

• Kopite
  • When there snow hope, support.
« Reply #192 on: January 7, 2013, 11:39:28 pm »
I think it will be:

Pepe
Wisdom Skirtel Agger Glen
Henderson Lucas Gerrard
Sterling  Suarez  Downing

Sturridge coming on for Downing in the second half.

Offline Chavasse1917

• Legacy Fan
  • “Winning trophies has made me put on weight.”
« Reply #193 on: January 7, 2013, 11:43:46 pm »
You know what, chuck on Robinson at LB. Lad needs to learn to play the big boys eventually - this season is pretty much a write off anyway so why not let him have a go against the Mancs. It's tragic to lose both Enrique and Wisdom but at least this may allow Johnson to play on his favoured side. An enforced choice but one with potentially good long term benefits.

I said it three weeks ago after the Stoke loss that I predict us winning three league games on the bounce (this one included) and I still believe we have what it takes to beat these bastards. This view was reinforced when I saw Newcastle (NEWCASTLE!) score 3 goals against them. I'm confident we'll get a win eventhough it's pretty much all bravado at this point.

I want to see a starting three of Downing, Sturridge and Suarez. Downing has done enough in the last couple of months to show that he is much better than the player we all thought he was (and that he has shown) in the 18 months prior. For me, he just needs to play with the confidence that he has found, not play the ball backwards as much and take the likes of Evra and Rafael on.

Fuck I'm already getting pumped for this game and it's a week away. Come on you Reds!

Totally agree with this point of view.  I am of an age to remember Rob Jones debut for us against the Mancs at the Theatre of Wet Dreams in 91 and young Jack Robinson has some of the same characteristics both in build and playing style.  Lets see if he can step up to the plate.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 11:45:33 pm by Chavasse1917 »
"Everything has an end...except a sausage, which has two".

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #194 on: January 7, 2013, 11:50:29 pm »
I don't mind Webb, he had a decent game for ys vs Stoke.

Think we'll win this one!

Manchester United 1-3 Liverpool (RVP, Gerrard, Suarez, Suarez)

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: January 7, 2013, 11:51:40 pm »
Like the OP. We're on form it seems. So we should be ready. I worry about our general defending. Lose the ball and we're vulnerable. And they have RvP among others. If Villa, Stoke and others have caused us problems, they will too. I fully expect them to press our CMs.

Hope we can cause the problems with Suarez and Sturridge. Sturridge by the way, can he rival Suarez for being the least popular player among their fans? Played for City, then for Chelsea and now for us. Will make it even sweeter when he scores. I think it will either be a very close game, or we'll lose with 2-3 goals. Depends on how our defence functions on the day.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #196 on: January 7, 2013, 11:53:30 pm »
Henderson must play in this game. I'd maybe put Downing at LB for this and Johnston at right back.

Flood the middle of the park with 4 midfielders.

Start with Jonjo lying just behind Suarez and keep it tight for 60 mins. Then bring on Sturridge to run them ragged for the last 30 minutes.
#JFT97

Offline exiledintheUSA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: January 7, 2013, 11:59:27 pm »
Expecting a few goals in this one, heart says 1-2, head says 2-2.

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 8, 2013, 12:15:13 am »
Utd have been shite all season, if we're tight at the back and play to our best up front, then we can nick it.

But I don't think we will to be honest, it'll be 2-0, 3-0 or 3-1 United. I'd bite yer hand off for a 1-1 draw, Suarez on the scoresheet.

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #199 on: January 8, 2013, 12:16:26 am »
For me Downing should start. I've never been a massive fan of him but his performances lately have earned it for him. I'd play him at left wing (where I hated him last year) with Johnson at LB cutting inside exploiting that space in front of their back four. Sterling or Sturridge starting on the right with the other one coming on to destroy tired legs. Wisdom can play more as a defender (like he has been) and will look fine against Giggs.

I see us scoring early and if we can make it 5-10 minutes without conceding after that, then we have a good chance.