Author Topic: PREVIEW: Manchester United v Liverpool, Sunday January 13th 1.30pm  (Read 157950 times)

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Re: PREVIEW: Manchester United v Liverpool, Sunday January 13th 1.30pm
« Reply #120 on: January 7, 2013, 07:47:04 pm »
Here's to a hat-trick by Suarez........one with his feet, one with his head and one with his hand (not deliberately of course).
#JFT97

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #121 on: January 7, 2013, 07:56:49 pm »
Nice write ups by Phil M and Phase of Play.

I am always up for this tie and it seems that our boys have, at least in recent times, raised the team performance against this lot. I expect our young lads to be well up for this. Sterling, Henderson, Sturridge, and Wisdom should be chomping at the bit. I just hope that we do not see any rashness from our lads, as anything of the sort can be construed into something else and the reprimands have been harsh as of late. May cooler heads prevail. 

If we can play our game well and the likes of Lucas, Allen, Skrtel, and Agger can keep RVP and Hernandez at bay or at least partially under control I think we can come away from OT with something here and not our tails between out legs.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #122 on: January 7, 2013, 08:01:59 pm »
Just win please. I hate the manc c*nts

Offline Dirk18Kuyt

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #123 on: January 7, 2013, 08:04:25 pm »
Well we've been good. So we could do it. Usually I just couldn't see us winning at OT. But who knows. I think that Gerrard/Henderson/Lucas would be great but I can see Allen starting! Full back is a big issue at the left. Johnson and Wisdom will start I bet (When's Kelly back btw??). Sturridge I can see being on the bench to come on if needed actually.

Fingers crossed we can beat them, bloody hate them!

Offline Red_Rich

• Legacy Fan
  • Fan since Liverpool 5 Stoke 3 in 1976
« Reply #124 on: January 7, 2013, 08:08:03 pm »
Ferguson said Rooney won't be back in time for ths so I fully expect him to start.

Yep.  Nailed on.  He's been saying/doing this kind of shit for fucking years.  Does he really think anybody still falls for it?

He's gonna have to start double-bluffing if he's to keep people guessing.

As for Webb - I think he knows he's under scrutiny to appear non-biased for them so I wouldn't be surprised to see him give us a penno to make himself seem genuine.  And then award them 2 in the 2nd half.
United used to win titles on easy street, time for us to take over that real estate

Offline harrythered

• Kopite
« Reply #125 on: January 7, 2013, 08:08:12 pm »
Thanks for that OP, some interesting stuff.
Really do think it comes down to stopping Van Persie playing his football. If we do that, we will always have a chance.
Confident we can score, especially with Suarez in the side, we just need to keep it tight at the back. On that point, I wouldn't like to see Downing playing in defence. I think Wisdom offers more cover, and the back four should be the same that played in the Sunderland game.
In fact, I could see us playing exactly the same team, with Sturridge coming off the bench in the second half. Henderson and Lucas together should give us strength, and hopefully dominance, in midfield.
Love this fixture.
Justice For The 96

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #126 on: January 7, 2013, 08:24:39 pm »
Smiling at the thought of Suarez getting a late winner. Would give up my summer holidays for a win here.

Offline The Mule

• Kalgan's finest
  • Kopite
« Reply #127 on: January 7, 2013, 08:28:02 pm »
May this game be the game that:

1) The strength of performance of Lucas Leiva conveys that he is now officially "match fit"
2)Joe Allen looks refreshed, rested and back to his best
3) Daniel Sturridge continues to impress with flashes of skill, strength and pace underscored with end-product.
4) The SkAgger partnership takes another step toward legendary status.
5) Wisdom/Robinson (depending on who plays) continues his development and has his best game of the season by far and contributes loads going forward as well as defensively.
7) Glen Johnson shows again why he should universally be considered as "world class" in his position.
8 ) Luis has a good (for him - phenomenal) day.
9) Pepe Reina builds on his last outing to show why we believe he is one of the best around.
10) Raheem has a game which makes him standout (in a good way) as much as he used to in the u18s and ressies.
11) The fringe players (if needed) stake a serious claim.
12) Brendan Rodgers has a stormer in terms of selection, motivation and in-game management. 
13) The team finally clicks and plays the way the manager believes they should for the full 90.
14) Our away fans are as amazing a ever.
15) We finally have a bit of luck in terms of match officiating.

May everything click for this one (please God) 
"Listen, here's the thing. If you can't spot the sucker in the first half hour at the table, then you ARE the sucker."

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #128 on: January 7, 2013, 08:29:21 pm »
Hate this fixture
Think there'll be goals galore
Going for 3-2 us
Suarez will win a penalty offa vidic - he'll be shatting himself having only been back a few weeks.
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 7, 2013, 08:29:37 pm »
Think they'll score at least one, more likely two. After 3 straight wins, I'll take a draw.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #130 on: January 7, 2013, 08:34:53 pm »

Heard he's into fishing nowadays  ;D

Probably sleeping with them. ;D

Offline lucas65

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #131 on: January 7, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »
Who is going to get red carded this time by the wonderful impartial Mr Webb?

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 7, 2013, 08:38:08 pm »
Need to stop RVP then it's down to Giggs and Scholes :D That's the key IMO. Easier said than done.

Offline ScottyBoy_21

• The Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie.
  • Kopite
« Reply #133 on: January 7, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
Can't help but feel that we will have someone sent off.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 08:45:21 pm by ScottyBoy_21 »

Offline 007.lankyguy

• Subject of a restraining order by a regular member of the HIGNFY crew. Hasn't got a clue when Liverpool play next. Fully stopped.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 7, 2013, 08:52:12 pm »
Really interested by what team starts this one for us, probably more than any game this season. Promises to be a fascinating battle.

The area I think we should target the most is between their lines of midfield and defence. It's where I think they are most vulnerable. It's why I think we should use Suarez down the middle with Sturridge wide. Suarez dropping off between the lines supported by Henderson could be really dangerous and is the main area of attack we should be looking to create from. Suarez's intelligent movement between the lines will also enhance the impact of Sterling and Sturridge - if we get those two running into the space Suarez creates by pulling defenders out, we can cause them problems.

Gerrard and Lucas need to stay deep in possession. Their CMs can be enticed to press high and often end up leaving space behind them. If we get numerical superiority in deep positions, we can entice their front players to press high. If we beat that press, there is space in the middle of their block. Therefore we can play our short build up, entice them to pressure and use the full backs on the switch of play who then play it inside to expose them between the lines.

Not that we generally have problems with this but we need to make sure we don't rush the attack from the back. West Brom a couple of weeks ago played too many long balls to try and expose the space behind their defence but actually played right into their hands. Hopefully we'll keep composed in possession

Their space behind their backline can also be exploited. When we beat them 4-1 in 09, we purposely targeted that space between Vidic and Evra on the counter attack. Rafa noticed that a)there was a lot of space behind their defence and between Evra and Vidic in possession. And b) Vidic was not great in turning with space behind. If you look at it, our first three goals in that game came as a result of targeting that space. First was a long ball that Vidic didn't deal with running back to his own goal. Second we won a penalty when Torres played in Gerrard behind Evra. The third goal, Vidic got sent off because he couldn't deal with Gerrard running past him again in that inside left channel. Even now they have a weakness there. Evra in particular is prone to switching off. He often has a problem closing that space, both on the counter attack and also when United sit in their shape behind the ball. Look at Pedro's goal in the '11 CL Final. Evra ends up marking Messi in the middle, which leaves space for Pedro behind him, outside Vidic. Swansea a few weeks back scored from opening up that space where Evra marked the wrong player and allowed a runner to move into that channel. I think Sturridge can target that area of their backline with his pace and movement.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 08:53:55 pm by lankyguy007 »
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Sir Bob

Offline elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #135 on: January 7, 2013, 08:52:17 pm »
Fuck sake Webb appointed referee for Manchester United v Liverpool

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #136 on: January 7, 2013, 08:55:08 pm »
Going to this one,can't wait.
Looking forward to Sturridge playing with Luis if Brendan plays them both,hope we attack them as defence is there weakness.
Suarez to score a couple hopefully.
YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: January 7, 2013, 08:55:43 pm »
Maximum concentration and take the game to them are the key points I'd be relaying to the team.

As a unit MU are an awesome attacking team so we need to try to keep the ball as much as possible even at their own gaff, if we lose it high up we need to be ready to flood back and whenever they have possession someone must keep an eye of RvP or he'll punish us instantly. So the message to Agger & in particular Skrtel is to man watch not ball watch.

Having said that, for years we've known that a percentage of teams bottle it there before they've even kicked off while others simply fail to attempt to test them. And I think we are capable of testing them if the Liverpool side with the right mentality turns up.

Lets face it, they are ideal opponents this season, they play expansive open football which suits our game. We need Lucas, Stevie and probably Henderson to nullify their midfield but support Suarez, Sturridge and probably Downing as we move forward.

They won't be looking forward to meeting us, a leaky MU meeting a penetrating Luis Suarez is a mash-up to make us all wet.
I genuinely believe this is an opportunity for a scalp, but I can't see us not conceding - they are far too good not to score. So my thoughts revert to the very early days when Brendan took over and I wondered in how many games will we just have to score more than the opposition - this is the blueprint for such an event - 2-3 to us.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #138 on: January 7, 2013, 09:00:10 pm »
Fuck sake Webb appointed referee for Manchester United v Liverpool
Do you honestly think that hasn't been mentioned and discussed on this thread already? It's even in the OP FFS!

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 7, 2013, 09:03:53 pm »
Fuck sake Webb5th appointed referee moderator for Manchester United v Liverpool thread.   

Lots of sending offs there, me thinks.  ;)

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #140 on: January 7, 2013, 09:06:47 pm »
Fuck sake Webb5th appointed referee moderator for Manchester United v Liverpool thread.   

Lots of sending offs there, me thinks.  ;)
;D

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #141 on: January 7, 2013, 09:07:39 pm »
Nice write ups by Phil M and Phase of Play.

Ta mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: January 7, 2013, 09:13:11 pm »
Would be an idea for RAWK to loosen moderation when we are about to play United. We can't all be phaseofplay, the masses need an outlet for: he's a fucking whiskey swagging c*nt, and similar factual observations (I like him btw).
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #143 on: January 7, 2013, 09:20:26 pm »
Smiling at the thought of Suarez getting a late winner. Would give up my summer holidays for a win here.

Same..if I had any planned! I'd love Luis to steal it last minute to rub it in Evra & Rafael's faces after their post-match antics last season. 
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline Camarero25

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #144 on: January 7, 2013, 09:23:00 pm »
Would be an idea for RAWK to loosen moderation when we are about to play United. We can't all be phaseofplay, the masses need an outlet for: he's a fucking whiskey swagging c*nt, and similar factual observations (I like him btw).

Who Ferguson?

Offline DyingAtheist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #145 on: January 7, 2013, 09:23:21 pm »
Nervous.
I'd kill for a win here, I really would. But realistically I'd be happy with a draw.

Offline Tatarunas

• Main Stander
  • Bring Them Cups Home
« Reply #146 on: January 7, 2013, 09:24:49 pm »
Suarez will score in this surely, 3-1 to us. Gerrard from penalty spot.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #147 on: January 7, 2013, 09:25:55 pm »
Would be an idea for RAWK to loosen moderation when we are about to play United. We can't all be phaseofplay, the masses need an outlet for...

Is this not what friends and the pub are for? And if you are bedridden or just a lonley sod who can not make it down to a pub there is always RAWK chat and PMs to other users...
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: January 7, 2013, 09:26:00 pm »
Who Ferguson?
yeah why not? c*nts attract.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #149 on: January 7, 2013, 09:31:09 pm »

Playing Downing from the start would be a huge mistake. Its gonna be a war on the pitch and we cant afford to carry someone who doesnt have a stomach for a fight.
Its a shame that Sturridge is not fit for a 90 minutes as he looks like he is gonna settle quite nicely into our team.
Biggest concerns for me are Young-Wisdom duel as the mancs cheating conniving excuse for a footballer will be looking the whole match to take advantage of Andre`s inexperience and by that I mean waiting for him to extend his leg to fall over and win a penalty and Lucas` form which is still a bit below his best.

Offline Twelfth Man

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: January 7, 2013, 09:31:11 pm »
Who Ferguson?
Scousers hate Fergie? Our hatred is a mark of respect. You know it, we all fucking it. He would have been perfect for us. And I reckon he knows it too.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: January 7, 2013, 09:37:57 pm »
Need to stop RVP then it's down to Giggs and Scholes :D That's the key IMO. Easier said than done.
Scholes won't be a problem unless we have a player sent off. It will be more of a problem for them rather than us along as we have Henderson doing a job on Scholes - we can't give him time on the ball, that's when he punishes you but he's a liability if you can press him. Infact, I don't see him playing like he didn't at Anfield. Only came on after the sending off because that allowed him time on the ball.

Offline goalrushatgoodison

• crapinbed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Still waiting for the great leap forward.
« Reply #152 on: January 7, 2013, 09:39:14 pm »
He would have been perfect for us.

Jesus wept.
Those whom the Gods would destroy, they first make mad.

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #153 on: January 7, 2013, 09:39:41 pm »
We owe these dirty c*nts a stuffing, they have had us in our last couple of head to heads so I fancy us to do the dirty bastards in their own yard on Sunday.

My lineup:

Wisdom/Robinson  --- Skrtel --- Agger---  Johnson

Lucas ---           --- Allen

Gerrard---

Sterling/Sturridge ---                    Downing ---
                                  Suarez ---                                                                   
« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 09:44:50 pm by Supersuarez7 »

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: January 7, 2013, 09:41:33 pm »
We owe these dirty c*nts a stuffing, they have had us in our last couple of head to heads so I fancy us to do the dirty bastards in their own yard on Sunday.

My lineup:

Lucas ---         --- Allen

Stirling ---       Gerrard---     Downing ---

Sturridge ---
                                 Suarez ---

Not surprised you've gone for 12 men to be honest, they've got Howard Webb on Sunday so it should even it up.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #155 on: January 7, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »

My lineup:

Sturridge ---
                                 Suarez ---

No Goalkeeper? Risky, but daring. I like it :D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #156 on: January 7, 2013, 09:44:15 pm »

My lineup:

Sturridge ---
                                 Suarez ---

No one in nets then?  Just 11 outfield players?

Offline Supersuarez7

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #157 on: January 7, 2013, 09:45:27 pm »
Fuck off was a work in progress lol (not so) ninja edit  :wanker

see edited:

Lucas ---           --- Allen

Gerrard---

Sterling/Sturridge ---                    Downing ---
                                  Suarez --- 

« Last Edit: January 7, 2013, 09:49:17 pm by Supersuarez7 »

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #158 on: January 7, 2013, 09:50:31 pm »
Scousers hate Fergie? Our hatred is a mark of respect. You know it, we all fucking it. He would have been perfect for us. And I reckon he knows it too.

I'd have Mourinho over Ferguson. Ones an egotistical, vindictive, childish c*nt and the other one is a egotistical, vindictive, childish, nasty, angry, pissed up c*nt who hates LFC.

Think if we got with a front three on Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez we have a punchers chance to out score them. Would hopefully negate their full backs going forward and cause carrick to drop deep and worry about us rather than concentrating on building their attacking play.

If we got there and play for a narrow win or a draw we're in big trouble.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: January 7, 2013, 09:51:10 pm »
Pity about Enrique.

Would have liked to have seen him in front three again, his strength, Suarez' guile, and Sturridges pace and movement.
Would have been a real handful for their defence.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.