Author Topic: My favourite player #15 - The one and only Jari Litmanen  (Read 14374 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
My favourite player #15 - The one and only Jari Litmanen
« on: December 13, 2012, 09:42:25 pm »
Lahti is a small Finnish city situated about 100 km from the capital Helsinki. It’s also the birthplace of Finland’s greatest ever footballer, and arguably greatest living sportsman, Jari Litmanen.

It is in Lahti where we begin the story of Jari’s incredible football journey.  Torn between his love for ice hockey and football, Jari made his debut at the tender age of 16 in the Finnish top flight for Reipas. A move to top side HJK soon followed and it was at his next club MyPa where he was spotted by Ajax scout Tom Ponk playing in the 1992 Finnish cup final in which Litmanen scored to help his team to the trophy.  He had also made his senior international debut in October of 1989.

Trials at Leeds, PSV and even the mighty Barcelona had surprisingly not led to a contract offer, however the Ajax coaching staff saw his potential and he joined the Amsterdam side for the 92/93 season. Most of his appearances were for the reserves that season as Ajax had a fellow by the name of Denis Bergkamp occupying their No.10 shirt. However with the latter’s move to Internazionale imminent in addition to an injury to his intended successor, Dan Peterson, this meant that Louis Van Gaal would give the young Finn his opportunity to prove himself to the Ajax faithful. Jari didn’t waste time making a name for himself.

Marco Van Basten, Johan Cruyff, Denis Bergkamp, Frank Rijkaard, Johan Neeskens, Ronald Koeman, Danny Blind, Edgar Davids, Marc Overmars, Clarence Seedorf, Ronald and Frank De Boer. Ajax history is filled with legendary names in the world of football. For many, the name Litmanen is now as synonymous with the club as any of the aforementioned superstars. Jari Litmanen, first nicknamed the Professor by his colleagues for his incredible knowledge of the game, burst onto the European footballing stage in the 93/94 season scoring an incredible 26 goals from a deep lying attacking position which earned his team the Eredivisie title and personally the title of Dutch Footballer of the year aswell as the Golden Boot.  Ajax, long before Arsenal managed it, went unbeaten throughout their league campaign, winning the league in style from Roda JC with Ronaldo’s PSV in 3rd.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/RFLdz2kDcM0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/RFLdz2kDcM0</a>
Ajax fans reintroduced their song ‘Volare’ changing it to “Litmanen, oh ooh, Litmanen, ohohooh”. Jari also collected the Finnish player of the year award. His third season at Ajax would be another history making one. Ajax regained their league title with Jari the focal point of a team who were playing arguably the best football in Europe at the time with mercurial talent in abundance in the form of Kluivert, Van Der Sar, Kanu, George, Reiziger, Overmars, etc.  Ajax reached the European Cup final against the mighty Milan in Vienna. Jari played almost 70 mins before being subbed for eventual match winner Patrick Kluivert who netted a famous 85th minute winner.

Now a lynchpin of the Ajax side, Jari helped his beloved red and white clinch a third consecutive title in the 1995/96 season. However defending their European Cup title was just one step too far for this great side as they went down to Juventus on penalties after a 1-1 draw in the Stadio Olimpico in Rome. Jari had equalised before half time and he also coolly slotted away his penalty in the shoot out but Sonny’s miss meant that Old Big Ears joined the Old Lady back in Turin.

Even the allure of massive offers from many of Europe’s biggest sides was not enough to sway Jari away from his beloved Amsterdam despite seeing his teammates make headline making transfers. Davids, Kluivert, Kanu and Reiziger amongst others had left and this had an immediate effect on the team’s fortunes as they relinquished their Eredivisie title to PSV and finished a disappointing fourth that season. Jari was quoted as saying ““The atmosphere at Ajax is more important than the money in Italy”. “I don’t think I’ll ever have a better life somewhere else than at Ajax, so I’m staying. I owe everything to Ajax, this is my way of letting them know”. This of course made him an even bigger hero amongst the fans. Jari stayed with Ajax until 1999 when he made an emotional farewell before joining Barcelona. Seven seasons in Holland had resulted in Jari scoring 91 goals in just 159 league games. A Bosman transfer to the Nou Camp where he once again joined forces with Van Gaal was the next step in the great Finn’s career.

Nou Camp regulars only got to see fleeting glimpses of Jari’s brilliance as injuries began to take their toll and he was restricted to just 21 appearances. Van Gaal’s dismissal and the arrival of Llorenç Serra Ferrer meant that the curtain closed on Litmanen’s Barca career before it had even begun.

Jari, oh Jari Jari, oh Jari Jari Jari Jari Litmanen - hey!
As he had dreamt of as a boy watching his heroes Kevin Keegan and Kenny Dalglish terrorise defences week in week out, Jari’s chance to pull on a Red shirt and run out in front of a packed Kop had arrived. Gerard Houllier was ready to throw Jari a career lifeline and bring him to the Premier League. Jari didn’t have to be asked twice. Didi Hamann certainly appreciated the time he spent with Litmanen at Liverpool. "I've never seen a player with such a good eye for the final forward next to him or his team-mates. He never missed a pass, his vision was just unbelievable. He wasn't the quickest when he came to us but his performance on his debut at Aston Villa was one of the best I've ever seen in a Liverpool shirt." Tragically for Reds fans (myself very definitely included) Jari was frustratingly under-used by Houllier and assistant Phil Thompson.  Despite suffering further niggling injuries, when Jari did play he made an impact but often found himself back on the bench a game later much to the frustration of the Kop. He cruelly missed the three finals during the 2000/01 treble winning season due to injury, but he did play an important part along the way He was also an important player during the 2001/02 Champions League campaign. With Owen also suffering with injury during the season Jari stepped up to score some important goals. Just days after an incredible goal from thirty yards against Tottenham Hotspur, he scored a cheeky goal against Dynamo Kiev in our Champions League group match. He then scored an important penalty against Roma in the crucial final group game at Anfield. This was the game where Houllier made his return after his heart operation and inspired the Reds to the 2-0 victory they required to reach the quarter finals. Jari then scored an outstanding individual goal in the quarter final second leg against Bayer Leverkusen. At this stage the goal was enough to send Liverpool through to the semi finals but the teams collapse after Didi Hamman was taken off led to a 4-2 defeat.

Anfield waved goodbye to Litmanen and he returned to Ajax just before the transfer deadline on August 30, 2002. After leading Ajax to the semi-finals of the Champions League in the 2002-03 season he once again bid farewell to the loyal Ajax faithful before returning to his native Finland when he joined FC Lahti on a free transfer in August 2004. Brief spells with Hansa Rostock in Germany and Malmö in Sweden followed, before, on the last day of the January 2008 transfer-window, Litmanen was unveiled as a Fulham player by Roy Hodgson but injury once again deprived him of another crack at the Premier League and Jari returned home to his native land once again.

Rarely, if ever do players of the calibre, class and humility of Jari Litmanen come along. Incredibly he played for his country in four different decades having made his debut, as aforementioned in 1989 and his final cap came in an emotional 8-0 win over San Marino in November 2010.

I shamelessly borrow this last bit of info from Wikipedia: On 24 September 2011 in the 2011 Finnish Cup final against KuPS, coming on to the field after 80 minutes of play, when the score was 0–0. During the second half of extra time, he scored a spectacular halfvolley to make it 1–0 for HJK on the 108th minute. They went on to win the match 2–1. This was Litmanen's first Finnish Cup final after he won it with MyPa in 1992.  On 2 October 2011, HJK secured the 2011 Finnish championship and thus a double. As of that day, Litmanen had played 18 matches for HJK that season, and they had won every single match in which Litmanen had been on the field.

* All time leading Finland goalscorer and most capped player
* All time Ajax European top goalscorer
* European Cup Winner
* Ballon D'Or 3rd 1995
* Eredivisie top scorer 1994
* Dutch Footballer of the year 1993
* Treble winner with Liverpool 2001

Zlatan Ibrahimovic:" My real saviour at Ajax, the man who saved my career, was Jari Litmanen. He was so good and committed and experienced. We had three good strikers: Machlas, Mido and myself. And Jari took you by the hand, on the field. He talked, coached, guided and basically made you better on the pitch. He allowed others to play better.”

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kH39GdF84Jg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kH39GdF84Jg</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sVaTbGGEOt8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sVaTbGGEOt8</a>

JARI LITMANEN – My hero. Remember him.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 10:54:21 pm by The 5th TinBauble »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
Re: My favourite player #15 - The one and only Jari Litmanen
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 10:20:55 pm »
I enjoyed that, thanks Phil. I adore this man. Even Zlatan loves him, I thought that fucker only loved himself!

Such a short time we had him, it's a pang in my Liverpool history. I remember one little moment in a game where he was loitering on the edge of our penalty box facing our goal and the ball dropped to him. Without even looking, he hit it first time, right foot, around his left shoulder about fifty yards to the feet of a team mate out on the wing. I'd seen Le Tissier do that but he needed a touch. Jari also had that freaky angle seeing shit going on. The most innocuous looking pass from him could be deadly, taking two and three players out of the game.

I also loved his utterly laid back personality. I don't know if anyone remembers the Tactics Truck but it was an ill advised piece of shit idea by ITV when they had the Saturday night highlights, and it was supposed to be an outside broadcast unit with added video tech. So Andy Townsend has Jari in the Tactics Truck and he says, go on then Jari, talk us through your goal and the tape starts rolling. It took Jari so long to react, then go, mmmmm, and then, weeeeellllll that the clip was over and he hadn't actually started to speak. Andy had to tee it up again, and this time Jari described his goal in about seven words, something like "yeeeaaahhh, mmmmm, good pass from Steven, I can score". Love him.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 10:27:32 pm »
Much appreciated corky mate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 10:55:35 pm »
Great stuff Phil. Love Jari, what a crying shame he didn't play more for us.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 03:04:04 pm by The 5th TinBauble »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 11:01:05 pm »
What a memory. The injection of quality this fella gave will always make me pick him as one of my all time favourites

Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 11:09:02 pm »
I remember his twist on a penny on the half way line v Spurs that ended up featuring on Match of the Day. I remember seeing it and blinking thinking "did that really happen?" and even repeated viewings on the show's title sequence still caused me to still wonder how he did it. A Cruyff turn beyond belief. I was honoured to have seen it. An artist.
Yep.

Offline Hinesy

• RAWK Editor. Giving it BAFTA’s. 57'sy. Caramel log dealer and comma chameleon. Tory Totty Tonguer
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:54:59 pm »
Today's Favourite Player is really one who should've set alight the Kop a lot more than he had chance to. A connoiseur's choice of player, a real artisan and intelligent player, enjoy Phil M's great write up on Jari.
Yep.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:07:06 am »
Nice one Phil.

Still get annoyed thinking back to that Leverkeusen game and what might (should?) have been. Jari's brilliant goal in that game has fallen by the wayside a little when it should have been talked about for years in the same breath as Fairclough and Garcia.

Offline RuncornRed25

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 12:30:25 am »
I wish we had him for longer he was an absolute class act, Will always remember his early penalty against Roma which got the whole place buzzing and eventually inspired us to get the 2-0 win we needed, I wasn't old enough to witness some of our earlier great European nights at Anfield but this one was probably my earliest most memorable one, great times

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lia7ZfdepiU?fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Lia7ZfdepiU?fs=1</a>

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 01:21:38 am »
Total class and could not understand why Gerard underutilised him, saw him play for the reserves and none of the others players were up to his standard, he kept playing great balls to people who were too slow in the mind to react. Total Class.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 01:54:15 am »
He should have come earlier and stayed longer. What a player.

Offline IndianRed

• Legacy Fan
  • Derp Derp
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 02:39:45 am »
Houllier's criminal under-usage of Litmanen will go down as one of the biggest mistakes made by a Liverpool manager in the past twenty years.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 03:33:11 am »
Absolutely class player. Thanks Phil, enjoyed reading the background stuff on him. Nice caps too! He just shone as someone who could do the simple task of passing the ball to another one of our players. Sounds so simple, but Jari made it an artform.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 04:03:02 am »
Fabulous read Phil, cheers.

I wish we had him for longer he was an absolute class act, Will always remember his early penalty against Roma which got the whole place buzzing and eventually inspired us to get the 2-0 win we needed, I wasn't old enough to witness some of our earlier great European nights at Anfield but this one was probably my earliest most memorable one, great times

Great Roma side, that, some brilliant players.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 06:25:13 am »
Fantastic read, thank you Phil M.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 06:26:20 am »
Boss player, especially at Ajax where he was the best in Europe. Would have loved Liverpool to have got him when Evans tried and linked him up with a younger Fowler, maybe not quite at that level when he eventually arrived, but quality not in doubt.
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline slider17

• Kemlynite
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 06:53:15 am »
my second favorite midfielder after gerrard.  my oh my what a player.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 09:47:36 am »
He was a lovely footballer, do you wanna buy his autograph Phil  ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2012, 10:04:34 am »
Cheers for the Phil, great read.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2012, 10:11:43 am »
Houllier's criminal under-usage of Litmanen will go down as one of the biggest mistakes made by a Liverpool manager in the past twenty years.
along with not signing Anelka...
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Litmanen Legend

• Anny Roader
  • I know how to Finnish!
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2012, 11:06:09 am »
He was okay I guess.................haha ;)

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2012, 11:36:07 am »
Really enjoyed that Phil. Like many others have said, a real shame it didnt really work out at Liverpool.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Mercer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2012, 11:36:25 am »
Very enjoyable read, Phil.  :)

On checking Wiki, I was surprised how relatively few games Jari actually played, considering the number of clubs he played for. "just" 449 games over a career spanning 24 years. It almost seems a waste of his magical talent.

Although, he did win himself well over a hundred international caps.

A wonderful player to watch. Just wish he played for more games or us...

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2012, 01:23:37 pm »
Thanks for the replies everyone, great to see the mutual appreciation for such a unique talent.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2012, 02:10:12 pm »
class act, remember his performance in the fa cup at anfield agisnt man city in 2001, he was awesome, strangely GH subbed him early doors

Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2012, 02:26:16 pm »
Jari! Nice one.

In his pomp - a magnificent player. No idea how, but seems he saw the entire pitch from above. A feinschmecker, pure class and a favorite of mine.

As others; so, so sad we did not see more of him.

Fantastic read Phil. Thanks.
@Yvanicuzz

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2012, 04:12:08 pm »
I loved Jari Litmanen. A true champagne player and criminally underused. It was like a dream fulfilled seeing him play for us.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline robgomm

• He just can't get enough of Luis Suarez.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2012, 04:18:41 pm »
One of those players that's just a joy to watch and who gave the impression of being totally in control. Great stuff.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2012, 05:33:36 pm »
I think I speak for every Ajax fan (at least the 20-30 year olds) when I say that he was our absolute hero. I idolized him even more then Bergkamp. Perfect player. Magician.

He should've been the proud owner of back to back CL titles. Damn doped up Juve arseholes.

Controversial ;D

Nice to hear from an Ajax fan cheers.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2012, 05:41:25 pm »
Great opening post. One of my all time favourite players, a shame his time with us was so short, and that he was so underused. He really was a genius.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
Meh, over here we don't find it that controversial;)

I remember the Juve players running like crazy for the entire 120 minutes during that final, thinking it was unreal feat of superhuman conditioning...
Ajax dominated every team for two straight years passing others teams silly until they collapsed until that final against Juve... Cheating bastards..

check this out:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/the-drug-scandal-that-blackens-the-name-of-juves-team-of-the-nineties-6156776.html
http://nl.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=262717.html
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/558?cc=5739

In December 2005 the World Anti-Doping Agency demanded Juve to be stripped of several titles including the 1996 Champions League.

Nothing happened of course.

With respect mate, I think that stuff is for another thread. I'd rather not have this go off topic but thanks for posting.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2012, 06:01:59 pm »
Youre right mate.
Just still get worked up about it. Your OP, which is great by the way, brought it all back. Oh well, c'est la vie eh?

I think there's a recent thread floating about, or perhaps it's the Serie A discussion thread where the doping aspect was being talked about.
Might be worth posting in there or starting a thread of your own. It's startling stuff no doubt and I hadn't read that independent article above, eye opening to say the least.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2012, 09:15:12 pm »
Those were the days in terms of transfer speculation. Not a sniff of rumours then came home from work one day, stuck on teletext and lo and behold, we'd only gone and signed Jari Litmanen on a free! Made his debut off the bench at Palace in the League Cup at 2-0 down and made an instant impact. He was even better in the second league, he had a real gift of making the players around him play better, Fowler and Smicer in particular.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
Ingenious write-up Phil. My sort of player too. Criminally under-used at Anfield. Nevertheless he made me extra proud to be a Red. His balance over the ball was divine. I can't properly explain it, but when he was in possession of the thing everything looked just perfect.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 11:54:07 am »
Ingenious write-up Phil.

Appreciated mate, glad you enoyed.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:18 pm »
its a pity we never saw the best of him, not in a houllier side. like he was good with us but he was world class at his peak

imagine him now, or under roy evans or benitez
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: August 2, 2013, 11:33:39 am »
Jari is my all time favorite player.

Thanks Phil.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline placidcasual

• Main Stander
  • No you won't fool the children of the Rafalution
« Reply #37 on: August 7, 2013, 04:45:53 pm »
Unbelievable player and criminally under-used when he played for us.

His love for Liverpool was genuine and immense. I remember him rhyming off European Cup Final starting lineups in interviews. A class act on and off the pitch.

The great forgotten gem of Anfield.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: August 7, 2013, 05:07:52 pm »
I only saw him live once at Crystal Palace (league cup. We lost) but you could see that he oozed class in the way he floated into good positions. He just had that extra bit of time, probably because his footballing brain was so quick.
It's a shame that he was so underused, but maybe he had lost a yard of pace by then. He was quality, anyway.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2014, 11:02:20 pm »
Saw him playing in the reserves and because he was that much better than everyone on the pitch some of the other players on our team could not cope. He was playing balls that were far more intelligent than the players he was delivering too and it was the only example I've ever seen of a player that was too good for his teammates, criminally underused.
aarf, aarf, aarf.