Author Topic: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread (Not A Home Nation)  (Read 246426 times)

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
Re: Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread
« Reply #240 on: October 10, 2012, 06:48:37 pm »
Should have been much better.
if Casilas didnt play

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
Re: Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread
« Reply #241 on: October 10, 2012, 06:49:16 pm »
if Casilas didnt play
And Roy Keane did.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
Re: The Republic of Ireland Football Thread
« Reply #242 on: October 10, 2012, 06:51:37 pm »
Playing Keane out to be the martyr give me a break, they both must take a share in the blame and they both fell on their swords, Keane in Saipan and Mick in the fall out afterwards.

Ireland were not a shambles before World Cup 2002 they were actually a fairly decent side and Mick nearly saw instant success in qualification for the 98 World Cup had it not been for a dodgy late goal against Belgium, but blame can be heaped for that unsuccessful attempt in the direction of not beating Liechtenstein away. Remarkable really seeing as the team had dipped to its lowest ranking ever when he took over. Also as Iv said already all long with the attractive style of football qualification for the Euros came down to a 94th minute late goal against Yugoslavia in Belgrade. 

Iv never held Mick up to be perfect, he has flaws, but as for Irish managers and what he achieved there's only one other who did more, as for the style of football played relative to success, he's well out on his own.

Some people tend to be very selective when referring to what actually surrounded the build up to what happened in Saipan
I know what you mean.

Should have been much better.
To blame just Mick/FAI is wrong.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #243 on: October 10, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »
I thought England were bad for what ifs! Ok so you beat Spain, then Korea, fair enough. Then you would have beaten Germany and Brazil back to back would you? It's like when England lose and then say how unlucky we were and how we could have won it with a bit more luck. Just not in the realms of probabilty.

Offline Hunter Thompson

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Possibilities, no?
« Reply #244 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »
We would have won Euro 2012 if all our players weren't shite.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #245 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:42 pm »
I thought England were bad for what ifs! Ok so you beat Spain, then Korea, fair enough. Then you would have beaten Germany and Brazil back to back would you? It's like when England lose and then say how unlucky we were and how we could have won it with a bit more luck. Just not in the realms of probabilty.
He doesn't speak for any section of the fanbase worth speaking to

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #246 on: October 10, 2012, 07:46:45 pm »
Playing Keane out to be the martyr give me a break, they both must take a share in the blame and they both fell on their swords, Keane in Saipan and Mick in the fall out afterwards.

I'm not trying to portray Keane as a martyr at all. Only a fool would. But seeing as you were so quick to go digging up direct quotes from his argument with McCarthy, I felt it was only fair to allude to some of the things that McCarthy was clearly guilty of also. Many of which tend to get conveniently forgotten about when the events Saipan get revised. McCarthy's accusations of Keane feigning injury being one particular example of cuntishness on his part.

I know what you mean.

With all due respect, I don't think you do. Then again, that could just be my langer reflex, or whatever it was you termed it
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #247 on: October 10, 2012, 07:48:40 pm »
Yet it was a pretty good World Cup?

Well of course it was, I mean, we did manage to win a whopping 1 game
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline Outer Mongolian Red

• Rafa ran over my dog. Then shot it. Fact
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #248 on: October 10, 2012, 07:56:54 pm »
Well of course it was, I mean, we did manage to win a whopping 1 game
We didn't win any games at Italia 90.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #249 on: October 10, 2012, 07:59:00 pm »
We didn't win any games at Italia 90.

I'm not sure why your presenting that stat to me

What exactly is your point?

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »
From the start I said Mick should take a share of the blame. I brought up the quote because AWW said he "allegedly"  walked out.

On the whole its a far more complex issue than we are likely to know, they had a dislike for each other particularly on one end which stemmed from an incident on a team bus stretching back ten years previous when Mick told Roy he was out of line for back chatting Jack, Roy promptly told Mick where to go. God knows how many other subtle issues were left go unchecked in those ten years. I wish Roy would have said something before Saipan, I wish Mick hadn't been as bullish to let it get out of hand, but above all I wish it was like this  :'(

With all due respect, I don't think you do. Then again, that could just be my langer reflex, or whatever it was you termed it
Haha, that really stuck in your craw, nice one :)

Offline Julio

• Legacy Fan
  • Brrrrrrr
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2012, 08:14:01 pm »
I come into this thread and see an argument about Saipan.
Whorra pisstake
"We do not want a single foot of foreign territory; but of our territory we shall not surrender a single inch to anyone"

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2012, 08:16:15 pm »
I come into this thread and see an argument about Saipan.
Whorra pisstake
;D

First time its reared its head in this thread

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2012, 08:39:59 pm »
I've said it before but after Trap we should at least try and get Rafa. Nobody wants him in England so he might just be desperate enough by then. He wouldn't have to move house either although it wouldn't take him long to figure out that South Dublin is nicer than the Wirral.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2012, 08:44:19 pm »
I've said it before but after Trap we should at least try and get Rafa. Nobody wants him in England so he might just be desperate enough by then. He wouldn't have to move house either although it wouldn't take him long to figure out that South Dublin is nicer than the Wirral.
Can you imagine every pub stool warrior in the country if he took the job? Fact is he is not respected in England or Ireland.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2012, 08:48:15 pm »
Can you imagine every pub stool warrior in the country if he took the job? Fact is he is not respected in England or Ireland.
You're right of course but I think we would qualify first time of asking and the football would be a bit more adventurous.

It would make me happy and thats all that counts at the end of the day.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2012, 02:19:24 am »
Have some respect guys, Trap is readying the team for a World Cup qualifier, far from retirement/leaving.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #257 on: October 11, 2012, 03:13:35 am »
By the way, for all the shite Trap gets, his win ratio is actually the same as McCarthy's and his loss ratio is lower

Far away hills and all that bollox like

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 11, 2012, 03:16:54 am »
By the way, for all the shite Trap gets, his win ratio is actually the same as McCarthy's and his loss ratio is lower

But Bill, we don't play sexy football.

THE FANS WANT FAPABLE FOOTBALL DAMNIT!!!

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #259 on: October 11, 2012, 09:19:50 am »
Oh look a Saipan debate

im 10 years younger
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #260 on: October 11, 2012, 09:42:50 am »
Oh look a Saipan debate

im 10 years younger

I have my small break, in an hour.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #261 on: October 11, 2012, 11:19:38 am »

Iv supported Trap up to this point, I'm entitled to my opinion that I think he should go.
But Bill, we don't play sexy football.

THE FANS WANT FAPABLE FOOTBALL DAMNIT!!!
Its not just that is it? I dont expect that at all. what I do expect is that he gets the best Irish players in the squad, he doesn't. He's at the stage now where he does it out of contempt and spite.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 11, 2012, 11:41:19 am »
So Robbie Keane is out....

Maybe a blessing in disguise....

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #263 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:41 am »
So Robbie Keane is out....

Maybe a blessing in disguise....
Was going to post that. Cox, Walters, Long. They are the options assuming we play 4-5-1.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: October 11, 2012, 11:46:50 am »
Its not just that is it? I dont expect that at all. what I do expect is that he gets the best Irish players in the squad, he doesn't. He's at the stage now where he does it out of contempt and spite.

What about getting the best players to fit his system?

Best individual 11 doesn't always equal best team.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #265 on: October 11, 2012, 11:50:11 am »
What about getting the best players to fit his system?

Best individual 11 doesn't always equal best team.
The system is bollocks and has ran its course, we need a bit of variation, we need a change. I appreciate what he has done, but Iv had enough.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: October 11, 2012, 11:52:53 am »
The system is bollocks and has ran its course, we need a bit of variation, we need a change. I appreciate what he has done, but Iv had enough.

I don't understand your gripe.

You say you're not just interested in sexy football, so that would suggest results are the issue, yet we have just returned from our first major championship in a decade, and we're 1-0 in our World Cup qualification.

What's gone wrong?

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:27 am »
Whatever about saipan, mick mcCarthy should be the last person we appoint.

What we need is someone who is prepared to spend his weekends watching irish players play for their clubs. Trapatonni seems to be genuinely unaware that james mcClean is the top scoring irish man in the top flight in 2012. I'm not suggesting that McClean is some sort of genius, but he's behind McGeady, Duff, Keogh, cox, Doyle, long, hunt, and even probably robbie brady for a position in the irish team. i've never seen an irish striker do what shane long did to us, which was tear our defence to pieces with his strength and sheer pace. Trap keeps fucking him around, and it's a miracle he hasn't retired. Only now whgen Whelan is injured is james mcCarthy getting a game. McCarthy may only be 21, but he's played 200 first team games, and nearly 100 premiership games. McCarthy is the only Irish player who I'd like to see sign for liverpool. Trap seems to think that 25 is dangerously young for an international footballer, and people below this age shouldnt' be trusted. 

Instead of seeming to actively exclude Long, mcCarthy, McClean, Coleman from the team, even though he's perfectly happy to call them up, and sit on the bench time after time after time, until they eventually snap, or run out of form, proving him right. Even then he wasn't remotely interested in houlihan and pilkington even when norwich were doing rather well last season.  He should be scouring england for players eligible to play. He should be aware of who our best players are, and we shouldn't be afraid to pick them. We're in a position where our second XI (the team that played Oman) would beat the pants off Traps first choice XI (which as far as I can make out still includes given and Duff)

The Third thing we need is a tactically aware manager who is able to organize the team, around the players he has available to him, rather than some rigid, preset tactics formulated back in the 50's that only work when you have the best players in the league, and you're also knobbling refs.

The thing is that mick kind of falls down in all of these areas. He watched plenty of matches, but I'm not sure what he saw. He was prepared to give players like duff, given and keane a chance when they were relatively very young, but these were exceptional players, and we didn't have anyone else. As time went on it was very clear that he had his own favourites who would be in the team, regardless of club form, or even international form. For instance in our 1-0 win over holland, he picked Kelly at right back instead of finnan, He picked mcAteer who was in his clubs reserve squad, and hadn't played well for ireland in a long time. He also picked Steve staunton ahead of kenny cunningham or andy O'brien, even though he was slower than a wet week. and there was no crime against defending that Ian harte couldn't commit and be kicked out of the team.

And that's before we get to Kevin Kilbane. Whatever happened Kilbane had to be in the team. Damien duff was one of the best left wingers in europe at the time, and he hardly ever played on the left for us to accommodate kilbane.

Then mick may be a very nice guy, and a decent motivator, but he's not really a great judge of player, or very good at organizing a defence. We just did well because Roy keane was so utterly dominant in the area in front of the defence, and did a lot of the organization on the pitch.  oh, and he scored important goals as well. Alan Kelly and shay given played important roles as well.

We need a resource maximizing manager, who is able to find our best players, and organize them properly for the football of the 21st century. basically we need a Brian Kerr, with more gravitas and self assurance, who isn't quite so needy, and doesn't talk so much. Like a lot of 'non-footballer managers' like A V-B, and judging by Being liverpool, BR kerr just talked too much. I don't know if most footballers really need or respect that. It might work with youth footballers, but there's only so much senior internationals are prepared to listen to.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #268 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:29 am »

You say you're not just interested in sexy football, so that would suggest results are the issue, yet we have just returned from our first major championship in a decade, and we're 1-0 in our World Cup qualification.

What's gone wrong?
Have a look at my posts over the last seven pages not arsed going over all of it again.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: October 11, 2012, 12:01:29 pm »
Have a look at my posts over the last seven pages not arsed going over all of it again.
One sentence would have sufficed, a couple of bullet points even.

I'll be there tomorrow evening, supporting the men on the pitch, representing my country.

Offline RedHopper

• Hopping to a mightily lofty position and enjoying the view. If only custom titles could be in proportion to the member's average post length? My, what fun we could have! Imagine the sheer edification to be derived from testing the character limi
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: October 11, 2012, 12:13:35 pm »

What's gone wrong?

It's got nothing to do with sexy football. Trap plays a very conservative form of long ball 4-4-2. It's the most basic system in football, and is simply not a match for teams playing with three in the middle who can head the long balls away from our relatively small, immobile, and weak pairing of keane and long. The most bizarre thing then is that trap says that young players need to spend many years in the squad learning this most incredibly basic system before they can be introduced into the team. We get narrow results against really ordinary teams, but get horribly exposed against anyone half way decent. It's fucking unwatchable garbage, and it's simply isn't good enough.

Because his blue eyed boy Glenn Whelan isn't available, and the globally feared Paul Green is injured, it looks like we're finally going to play 3 in the middle, but then he goes and spoils it all by just picking keane up front. The idea of playing Robbie Keane as a lone striker is just staggering. He's not fast, he's not strong, he's not good in the air, he can't hold the ball up, and he's almost completely immobile. He's also going to be outnumbered and starved of the ball. It's an immensely stupid thing to do.

If it doesn't work, and as likely we lose to germany, we'll never see 3 in the middle again, but Robbie Keane will remain in the ireland team until he dies.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 11, 2012, 12:16:54 pm »
Glenn Whelan is one of our elite midfielders, playing regularly for a well established Premier League team.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 11, 2012, 12:30:20 pm »
Was going to post that. Cox, Walters, Long. They are the options assuming we play 4-5-1.

I think the majority would perfer Long atm but im in no dount Walters will get the nod

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 11, 2012, 12:33:56 pm »
Glenn Whelan is one of our elite midfielders, playing regularly for a well established Premier League team.

Elite midfielder  ;D

Well one things for sure for a manager doesn't like to play any kind of football, Whelan is playing with a club team at the moment who refuses to play any kind of football - So if the shoe fits and all that.

Its hard to argue with that.

Offline RedHopper

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:26 pm »

you mean like darron gibson,  james mcCarthy and wes houlihan? and also seamus coleman, james mcclean, shane long, seem to be doing pretty well in the premiership, while ciaran clarke can barely get in an ireland squad, meanwhile we're going to be playing a player who plays for toronto FC

Robbie Keane is out. Rejoice!!! (oops missed it up thread)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #275 on: October 11, 2012, 12:53:05 pm »
id go for Walters out wide with Long as the striker

Walters did some good covering against Liverpool almost as a second right back, we could do with that (and with him bullying like he does). Long is holding the ball up well and in good form. we need that
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #276 on: October 11, 2012, 12:57:17 pm »
I'll be there tomorrow evening, supporting the men on the pitch, representing my country.
Well arent you the noble soldier, I'll be there as well arsewipe.
you mean like darron gibson,  james mcCarthy and wes houlihan? and also seamus coleman, james mcclean, shane long, seem to be doing pretty well in the premiership, while ciaran clarke can barely get in an ireland squad, meanwhile we're going to be playing a player who plays for toronto FC
He tends to ignore this kind of stuff

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: October 11, 2012, 01:09:19 pm »

Robbie Keane is out. Rejoice!!! (oops missed it up thread)

Darron Gibson has already shown why he wasn't a regular for Ireland, he doesn't have the fight. As for McCarthy, his time seems to be coming. Wes Hoolahan isn't a Trap type player, so that's that sorted.

Haven't watched Coleman this season, but he was poor last season. Agreed, and I've always said, Long should be starting.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 11, 2012, 01:09:40 pm »
You and me both.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #279 on: October 11, 2012, 01:11:18 pm »

Walters did some good covering against Liverpool almost as a second right back, we could do with that (and with him bullying like he does). Long is holding the ball up well and in good form. we need that

And hope Lee Mason or someone equally strong is the ref?