Author Topic: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich  (Read 194542 times)

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
Re: Pep Guardiola at Bayern Munich
« Reply #2000 on: May 9, 2016, 02:53:24 am »
People are making out winning the league with Barcelona or Bayern to be as easy as winning with Celtic, or PSG.

It's not the same. In both Germany and Spain there is at least one other team at a similar level (two in Spain with Atletico). You may only have to finish ahead of that one other team, but it's far from a sure thing.

I think the PL will definitely be Guardiola's greatest challenge. It's by far the most competitive league at the top end, and he's going to get more tough games than he's had at any club he's managed so far. That said, I think he'll continue to win titles, because what he carries with him is a brand and style that's consistent, and consistently effective wherever he goes, so long as he has the resources to implement it.

This is important, because one of the contributing factors to the chaos in England is a lack of long-term continuity in managers, or in managerial styles. At least United, Chelsea and us would all have benefited from greater continuity in the way we play. City are going to have that with Guardiola.

As strange as this season as been, it's going to be a tremendously interesting campaign next season. I strongly suspect the top 3 will be us, City and Spurs, because we're the team with the clearest, most coherent and effective identities on the pitch.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2001 on: May 9, 2016, 03:04:12 am »
The idea that Pep is a fraud, is stupid, because you don't win as many trophies as he did in just 8 years of management as a fraud.

However, it is also stupid to argue that his system is not flawed and part of his success domestically in Spain and Germany has to do with the level of competition not being as tough with just one team regularly in the mix with his teams rather than probably six teams competing for the top spot in England.

He has won just one away match in the knockout rounds of the CL and that was against Arsenal in February 2014. Even his away record in knockout round matches since his Barca days wasn't that good and it cost him dearly in Bayern and when he faced Inter and Chelsea as a Barca manager.

It will be interesting to see how he builds this City team. It will be the first time, he has to build a team from scratch. It will be the first time where rotation won't be as easy as in Spain or Germany, his fetish of playing defensive mids as central defenders won't work in most games. He will have to compete in two cups and without rest in December, his teams also had a lot of injuries before whether in Barca or Bayern and it will be tougher to keep the players' legs fresh with City.

I think he will struggle in his first season, mixture of a new team gelling together with a new manager, but if he is given the time, he will eventually come good, but don't expect a domestic domination like what you saw in Spain or Germany. It is also worth noting that every team in England, suffers from a patch of poor performances and it will be interesting to see how Pep deals with the expected kind of pressure on him from the media, fans, etc. when his team is a poor patch.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2002 on: May 9, 2016, 03:38:21 am »
The idea that Pep is a fraud, is stupid, because you don't win as many trophies as he did in just 8 years of management as a fraud.

However, it is also stupid to argue that his system is not flawed and part of his success domestically in Spain and Germany has to do with the level of competition not being as tough with just one team regularly in the mix with his teams rather than probably six teams competing for the top spot in England.

He has won just one away match in the knockout rounds of the CL and that was against Arsenal in February 2014. Even his away record in knockout round matches since his Barca days wasn't that good and it cost him dearly in Bayern and when he faced Inter and Chelsea as a Barca manager.

It will be interesting to see how he builds this City team. It will be the first time, he has to build a team from scratch. It will be the first time where rotation won't be as easy as in Spain or Germany, his fetish of playing defensive mids as central defenders won't work in most games. He will have to compete in two cups and without rest in December, his teams also had a lot of injuries before whether in Barca or Bayern and it will be tougher to keep the players' legs fresh with City.

I think he will struggle in his first season, mixture of a new team gelling together with a new manager, but if he is given the time, he will eventually come good, but don't expect a domestic domination like what you saw in Spain or Germany. It is also worth noting that every team in England, suffers from a patch of poor performances and it will be interesting to see how Pep deals with the expected kind of pressure on him from the media, fans, etc. when his team is a poor patch.

Yep, agree with this.

City is probably the one team he's managed so far where you look at the players and you can't see any stars on the level of Ribery/Lahm/Robben/Neuer/Alaba/Boateng etc (all of whom he inherited).

He'll have De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero, who are all top class players. Other than that he's got an ageing back 4, Joe Hart and Sterling, with everything to prove. Considering the amount of money City have spent on their squad, it's actually astonishing how lackluster their squad looks. It's going to take a pretty substantial squad overhaul for the team to begin to look like something approaching the quality Guardiola's used to having. Luckily he's at the richest club in the world.

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2003 on: May 9, 2016, 06:31:03 am »
It will be the first time, he has to build a team from scratch.
As I usually do Y2J, I agreed with 95% of your excellent post...except this line above. ;) He's not going to Everton or Watford or Sunderland. He's going to a club with De Bruyne, Silva and Aguero who would be welcomed into the vast majority of top clubs in Europe. He's got a decent keeper in Hart, an emerging talent in Sterling, two aging but -- if used in small doses now -- still effective former stars in Kompany and Toure. A decent if not awe-inspiring remainder. Plus a solid academy of talent. And a big transfer kitty coming.

What squad has a clear, definite talent edge on City's in the league? City fans shouldn't be happy with anything less than top 3 after he uses his summer kitty. And he should be run out of England with torches and pitchforks if he can't get this bunch to the top 6. He's not starting from "scratch".

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2004 on: May 9, 2016, 07:47:27 am »
I think Otamendi is one of the best CBs in the league. He would also suit Guardiola's style very well. Hart-Otamendi-de Bruyne-Aguero is the strongest spine of any team in the PL. Add to that Iheanacho, an academy brimful of talent, ageing but quality fullbacks, and a monstrous transfer kitty. Anything less than the PL title would be a failure. There is strong competition but this is the strongest team in the league.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #2005 on: May 9, 2016, 10:55:32 am »
I think Otamendi is one of the best CBs in the league. He would also suit Guardiola's style very well. Hart-Otamendi-de Bruyne-Aguero is the strongest spine of any team in the PL. Add to that Iheanacho, an academy brimful of talent, ageing but quality fullbacks, and a monstrous transfer kitty. Anything less than the PL title would be a failure. There is strong competition but this is the strongest team in the league.

Anything less than the Champions League trophy will be considered a failure. He hasn't been hired to win the PL; they've already done that. For the first time, he's going to a team that hasn't won something big. They're expecting a CL trophy. They've become the new Chelsea.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2006 on: May 9, 2016, 02:37:10 pm »
Anything less than the Champions League trophy will be considered a failure. He hasn't been hired to win the PL; they've already done that. For the first time, he's going to a team that hasn't won something big. They're expecting a CL trophy. They've become the new Chelsea.
:lmao

I can only laugh. Of course he is a failure if he doesn't win treble every season. He should win it everywhere, be it Bayern or ManCity. OK, makes sense.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2007 on: May 9, 2016, 02:42:10 pm »
:lmao

I can only laugh. Of course he is a failure if he doesn't win treble every season. He should win it everywhere, be it Bayern or ManCity. OK, makes sense.

He's saying that Pep will be considered a failure if he doesn't deliver the CL in his time there, I think that's a fair point.  No one is expecting a treble every season.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2008 on: May 9, 2016, 02:43:51 pm »
I think it's slightly different at City. I'm not sure he'll have failed if he doesn't win the CL. He is coming into a club that gas gotten to the semis obcebin their history. Going against Bayern  and the 3 spanish clubs with a team that is weaker than all of them is a different situation for him. I do think he needs to make them a strong European force to be reckoned with though. Also needs to get then to be mainly dominant in the league.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2009 on: May 9, 2016, 02:45:36 pm »
Even though I think he's an arrogant prick, if I were a City fan I wouldn't be too expectant of anything other than top 4 in his first season.  Give Pep time to get the squad tuned to his style of football, let him build the squad and then see if he can really deliver in the second and third seasons.  If he's not storming the league from the off and they start to get on his back, that's embarrassing stuff.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #2010 on: May 9, 2016, 02:47:55 pm »

He's talking about a dressing room mole too

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2011 on: May 9, 2016, 03:04:48 pm »
Even though I think he's an arrogant prick, if I were a City fan I wouldn't be too expectant of anything other than top 4 in his first season.  Give Pep time to get the squad tuned to his style of football, let him build the squad and then see if he can really deliver in the second and third seasons.  If he's not storming the league from the off and they start to get on his back, that's embarrassing stuff.
OK, fair enough, but I laugh because CL is a cup competition. Expecting him to win, against better teams such as Atletico Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Barca and Madrid is OK, shows even his haters think he is the best in the world. But calling it failure if he doesn't is a bit unreasonable, isn't it? It doesn't have to be black and white, that is exactly why it is a laughable post above. He is a failure if he doesn't win CL, and success if he does. How reasonable is that? At ManCity of all clubs?

That makes me even wonder if there are any successful managers in world football today. Is it OK if Pep wins a CL football every 6 years? Or does it have to be every 3 years? Because if it is the latter, people literally expect him to retire with 10 CL trophies in 30 years time. Keep in mind that he already has 2, and the record for a given manager is 3. So people literally expect Pep to win a CL title every 3 years, and think that is totally reasonable, wherever he goes. Not only that, he is a failure if he doesn't win CL every 3 years.

For what it is worth, I think Pep would do great against teams like Bayern and Barca in the league format. But CL is a cup football, sometimes you can lose due to small details, things that do not have anything to do with you.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2016, 03:16:36 pm by Xxavi »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2012 on: May 9, 2016, 03:22:37 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't call him a failure for not delivering the CL at Bayern.  Same if he doesn't deliver it at City.  But the City board and fans will think differently, they've had managers win the league, they want that European trophy now, as difficult as it is.

If he wins a CL without Messi's brilliance then fair play to him.

Offline sideshowme

• aka Bob
  • Legacy Fan
  • the king: making grown men feel like 10-year olds
« Reply #2013 on: May 9, 2016, 03:24:07 pm »
given the resources at city's disposal, it is a disgrace that they haven't won the CL yet.  pep will be expected to bring it home within a few seasons, and i think it will be the major reason for his appointment.  of course real life rarely works like that, as chelsea found.  but if doesn't win the CL he *will* be viewed as a failure.

the development of city has been interesting, and this is perhaps the peak they've been building towards.  a manager with a big reputation to go with the players and to justify the cash available and the backroom progress they've been making.

just a shame for him that klopp will thwart him at every turn :)
Dudek saaaaves for Liverpoool!  Liverpool have won the Champions' League!  Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #2014 on: May 9, 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
just a shame for him that klopp will thwart him at every turn :)

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2015 on: May 9, 2016, 03:37:01 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't call him a failure for not delivering the CL at Bayern.  Same if he doesn't deliver it at City.  But the City board and fans will think differently, they've had managers win the league, they want that European trophy now, as difficult as it is.

If he wins a CL without Messi's brilliance then fair play to him.
Years of work cannot be judged by a single parameter alone. This I say as a fan who normally expects Barca to win CL or be very close to it ;D But the football being played is very important, too.

I would like to refer to Di Matteo's CL win with Chelsea. Even back then, I used to write that he is a nothing coach. You can fluke your way to a CL title, playing awful football etc. Chelsea fans may have enjoyed it, but you fool nobody, Di Matteo was a nothing manager and since then, has proven to be a loser. Simeone's Atletico Madrid, Klopp's Borussia D etc. were different though. You could see some "intellectual property" in these teams, something that is coming from the manager. And this is important. At the moment, there is nothing original in ManCity's game. It is awful, it is inconsistent, and the manager seems to be half asleep on the sidelines. This was the case even before Pep was in the picture. The team is totally auto-piloting.

If Pep comes and changes that, if ManCity start demonstrating consistently strong football, and if they are a real threat in CL, not "lucky" to be there like they have been this season, that will be a massive improvement. You cannot brush it aside just saying "he is a failure because he didn't win CL". I believe he will make a significant progress with ManCity.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2016, 03:38:41 pm by Xxavi »

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
  • Bayern Munich - Mia San Mia
« Reply #2016 on: May 9, 2016, 06:10:40 pm »
Happy that Pep won Bundesliga. It seems like it is a competition that nobody respects even in Germany, neither journos nor fans, but you cannot argue with 6 league titles in 7 years record.

The now grossly overhyped Heynckess won 3 league titles in 34 years, managing some of the top clubs in the land. Similarly, Ancelotti could only win 3 league titles in 20 years. But hey-ho, nobody seems to give a shit about Bundesliga titles. So I am very happy Pep is moving to England, where ManCity's league title wins would mean something.

The grossly overhyped Heynckes took Bayern twice to the CL final in the space of 3 yrs.

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2017 on: May 9, 2016, 07:03:55 pm »
Matches:
Played: 159
Wins: 122
Draws:  16
Losses: 21
Goals For: 407
Goals Against: 124

Trophies won: 
3 Bundesligas
1 DFB Pokal (A 2ndone is possible)
1 UEFA Super Cup
1 FIFA Club World Cup

Statistically, he has had a successful stint at Bavaria. Not as successful as Barcelona in terms of trophies, but Pep won a staggering 77% of his games.

On the domestic scene, Bayern have been utterly dominant. 2 titles have been won with a tally of close to 90 points. Won the German Cup once and might win it again in 2 weeks. The only competition he failed to win is the German Super cup, where they were twice beaten by Dortmund and once by Wolfsburg, at the start of each season.

However, German domestic competition has been minimal. Dortmund and Wolfsburg, the two main teams that gave a degree of competition to Bayern, are unable to match their financial resources. Good performances by the players of these two clubs make them ripe targets to be taken, not only by Bayern, but by other European teams. Notable examples of this include De Bruyne (Manchester City), Mario Gotze, Robert Lewandowski and now Mats Hummels (Bayern). Bayern are also able to buy the best talent across the world. These two factors ensure that domestically Bayern will always have an edge over their domestic rivals.

So, domestically he's been very successful.
« Last Edit: May 9, 2016, 07:06:48 pm by ElCapo »

Offline ElCapo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2018 on: May 9, 2016, 07:26:47 pm »
Pep’s primary objective was to win the Champions League, yet his side was continually exposed in the Champions League knockout stages.

Bayern typically dominate the group stages, average 17 goals and finish first.  In the knockout stages, they began to show their frailty.  It’s now been 7 consecutive away matches in the Champions League knockout stages since Bayern last won.   Tactics and the nerves seem to be the reason.

In 2013/14, Arsenal took a draw at Allianz Arena and a struggling Moyes Man United took a draw at OT. Real Madrid would comprehensively win in the semis (1:0 and 4:0) on their way to the title. Madrid was able to beat Pep’s possession play, matching the Bavarians in attempts as he would keep Muller on the bench, for a defensive player in Rafinha in Madrid.  In Munchen, Ramos was able to score twice in quick succession and essentially the tie was over.

2014/2015, Bayern would struggle in the away legs against Shakhtar (0:0) and FC Porto (3:1) before taking strong home wins (7:0 and 6:1 respectively), but once again, they’d be knocked out in the semis by Barca (3:0 / 2:3).  Barcelona were able to comprehensively outplay the Bavarians, with the back 3 and supporting cast not able to keep out the MSN trio.

This season, Bayern had nervy encounters against Juve (needing a last minute Mueller goal to take the game into extra time), and against Benfica.  Again they were knocked out by Atletico in the semis, this time very narrowly.

Against Atletico during the first leg, he played with 3 holding midfielders, foregoing an attacking player. This saw Thomas Muller, who has enjoyed his finest season, benched for the game.  Against a team that pack the midfield and sit back, a player like Muller who excels at exploiting even the tiniest amounts of spaces would have been crucial.

Injuries did have their part to play in limiting his options. Robben, Ribery, Alaba, Javi Martinez, Thiago Alcantara and Mario Gotze have been some who have spent a lot of time on the side-lines.

Overall, in Europe he has underperformed.

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2019 on: May 9, 2016, 09:17:01 pm »

The situation with Bayern was probably more that they had a run of finals in the CL before him and also the manner in which he went out of two of the semis.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #2020 on: May 9, 2016, 09:38:57 pm »
He's a very good coach. Much more than that? Still to be determined.

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #2021 on: May 9, 2016, 10:07:18 pm »
OK, fair enough, but I laugh because CL is a cup competition. Expecting him to win, against better teams such as Atletico Madrid, PSG, Bayern, Barca and Madrid is OK, shows even his haters think he is the best in the world. But calling it failure if he doesn't is a bit unreasonable, isn't it? It doesn't have to be black and white, that is exactly why it is a laughable post above. He is a failure if he doesn't win CL, and success if he does. How reasonable is that? At ManCity of all clubs?

That makes me even wonder if there are any successful managers in world football today. Is it OK if Pep wins a CL football every 6 years? Or does it have to be every 3 years? Because if it is the latter, people literally expect him to retire with 10 CL trophies in 30 years time. Keep in mind that he already has 2, and the record for a given manager is 3. So people literally expect Pep to win a CL title every 3 years, and think that is totally reasonable, wherever he goes. Not only that, he is a failure if he doesn't win CL every 3 years.

For what it is worth, I think Pep would do great against teams like Bayern and Barca in the league format. But CL is a cup football, sometimes you can lose due to small details, things that do not have anything to do with you.

I wouldn't call him a failure. I wouldn't call winning the league a failure. But I'm not a City fan. Do you really think those who wouldn't even stick around to give Pellegrini a proper farewell after all he's done for that club will be happy with a top 4 finish next year? Will they even be happy winning the league? This is why I'm saying they're the new Chelsea- rich beyond their wildest dreams, given everything they've ever wanted, and entitled beyond belief.
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2022 on: May 9, 2016, 11:04:58 pm »
Divides opinions a tad doesn't he?! Next season will be fun.

I think it's unfair to downplay his huge successes just because he's been at big clubs.  For his big fans on here what do you expect him to achieve next season? New league and time to adjust but generally speaking with the resources available they should start the season as favourites (even if Pellegrini had remained).

You can bet in England some of the more yard dog favouring managers will be queuing up to take his scalp.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2023 on: May 9, 2016, 11:28:58 pm »
I think the problem is more to how he lost those semi-finals [not including this year] than the defeats itself. Trashed by Real, trashed by Barca.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2024 on: May 10, 2016, 03:01:02 am »
Pep’s primary objective was to win the Champions League,

That's not true is it?  In the book "Pep Confidential" one of the Bayern directors are on record as saying he was brought there to change the style of football that they were playing.  I'd say that he's been pretty successful with his primary objective. 

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2025 on: May 10, 2016, 03:20:04 am »
Pep is having the same problems as England. Invented football, then got overtaken by others.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2026 on: May 10, 2016, 04:04:54 am »
Pep is having the same problems as England. Invented football, then got overtaken by others.

He's invented a style of football that is effective against vast majority of teams in the European top flight. That's inclusive of the likes of Ferguson-era United, Arsenal, City, top Italian teams etc.

His style has come apart against the other top 3 teams of this era of football - Real, pre-Pep Bayern and Atletico.

In the case of the Atletico tie, Bayern would have probably won it 8 out of 10 times. It took one of the goals of the season in the first leg and an inspired goalkeeping performance in the second to knock them out.

As far as teams with the resources to buy the players they want, Pep is as sure a thing as there is to winning the league and consistently challenging for the CL. The only question that hangs over his head is not his style, but whether he would succeed with a club with the next level of resources down - us, Atletico, Arsenal etc. I think that should be the next stage of his career after Man City.

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2027 on: May 10, 2016, 04:12:16 am »

He's invented a style of football that is effective against vast majority of teams in the European top flight. That's inclusive of the likes of Ferguson-era United, Arsenal, City, top Italian teams etc.

His style has come apart against the other top 3 teams of this era of football - Real, pre-Pep Bayern and Atletico.

In the case of the Atletico tie, Bayern would have probably won it 8 out of 10 times. It took one of the goals of the season in the first leg and an inspired goalkeeping performance in the second to knock them out.

As far as teams with the resources to buy the players they want, Pep is as sure a thing as there is to winning the league and consistently challenging for the CL. The only question that hangs over his head is not his style, but whether he would succeed with a club with the next level of resources down - us, Atletico, Arsenal etc. I think that should be the next stage of his career after Man City.

Nah .It's the way Atletico play that makes it feel it but in reality Atletico would win that tie most times .It's same if you see most big games Atletico win.

Heck Atletico played without their first choice CB pairing and still kept a clean sheet and Bayern did even threaten them .

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #2028 on: May 10, 2016, 06:59:33 am »

Didn't Man Utd beat Barcelona on the way to the European Cup?
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline trimore

• Legacy Fan
  • Dastardly and Muttley with sick laughter
« Reply #2029 on: May 10, 2016, 07:02:55 am »
For me, the jury is still out on Guardiola, we all know the resources (beyond just money) he had at Barcelona and Bayern skewed results in his favour the way Luis Enrique suddenly became nearly unbeatable when he joined Barcelona. Still, winning 3 CL's in that time frame? Only our Bob manged that feat, to me, comparing him against one guy is always going to be unfair despite the resources he had.

Fascinated to see how he deals with City in a more competitive league with less amazing players already in place. There are only going to be only so many he can buy; all teams are limited by playing time and wages should be more equal compared to those other 2 leagues. Still rate him enough to be very glad he went to City instead of United or Chelsea, but don't think he will sweep the league in the time he is here like he did everywhere else (bar the one great Mourinho season).

Didn't Man Utd beat Barcelona on the way to the European Cup?

That was against a pre-Pep Barcelona with Rijkaard still in charge
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 08:00:30 am by trimore »
Go off to sleep in the sunshine, I don't want to see the day when it's dying

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2030 on: May 10, 2016, 07:23:30 am »
The grossly overhyped Heynckes took Bayern twice to the CL final in the space of 3 yrs.

That's where he lost me too ;D. Heynckes' side would have totally destroyed Pep's side, without a doubt.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2031 on: May 10, 2016, 09:38:57 am »
I think it's a bit lazy to say he has only been successful because of the clubs he has managed. His Barca sides have gone down as one of the best ever in the opinions of many, and certainly one of, if not the best, of their generation. The football they played and trophies they won was staggering. Yes he had Messi, yes he had Xavi and Iniesta at the peak of their powers and they're dominance coincided with a golden age of Spanish football. How easy would it have been for him to fail with all that pressure? He didn't, he did what was expected and then some. Fascinating coach with a fascinating view on how to play the game. A meticulous man in his planning who I have been interested in since he burst on to the scene in management with Barca. Read a couple of books on him and it is great stuff.

I am intrigued as to how he will get on at City. I think he will be a success, but he'd need to stick around for around four or 5 years, not 3. That is because he is 'behind' a year or will possibly need the first season to just get in, get his ideas across and blood a new squad. He has to achieve top 4 along with that and progress very, very far in the cups, particularly the big one. And while I think he will be a success, it certainly isn't guaranteed as some rather arrogant City fans would have you believe. This will be his biggest challenge. Again, one I think he will succeed in. And if he does he will still get the same criticism as now; he can only do it at a big club or one with a bottomless pit of money. If it was that easy why have Hughes, Mancini and now Pelligrini all failed to deliver consistent success and dominate? Well, the first one because he is not a great manager but the latter two are good. Just goes to show it isn't a case of throw money at it and you win. You can't buy guaranteed success anymore.

Him, Klopp and Simeone are the 3 best managers in the world for me. Two of them are in England, and more importantly one of them is at Anfield. Fucking exciting times ahead eh?
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #2032 on: May 10, 2016, 11:16:01 am »

Sometimes I think that's why the likes of Pep and Mourinho never stay too long with the same team. As successful as they are, they stick to a specific philosophy that never relents, and eventually the rest adapt, adopt, and suddenly their last season is far more complicated and difficult than their first. And naturally, they run off to the manage the best team/richest team/reigning champion in another league wher they simply rinse and repeat.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2034 on: May 10, 2016, 11:46:01 am »
His team wasn't as good as Heynckes' for a number of reasons. The first one being that Ribery and Robben were far more prominent, they were brilliant to watch especially when they tore Barcelona apart over two legs.

They've also lost two key German players like Kroos and Schweinsteiger, with the latter being 'lost' in the respect that he was clearly past it before he left.

His lineups were perhaps a bit too forward thinking as well, playing full backs in midfield for one was a choice I never understood. I don't think three at the back works for German football either, surely Ancelotti will return to a swashbuckling 4-3-3 like his Real Madrid side.

He's also had a number of quality players that Heynckes didn't get to work with like Lewandowski, Gotze and Vidal. So you could say that cancels out the Ribery and Robben argument.

He's going to have a hard time at City if he tries to copy the template and it could have hilarious results.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2035 on: May 10, 2016, 11:51:39 am »
I can't wait for Allardyce to fluke a result and tell him this league is tougher than he'd have thought. It'll be his and Pulis' cup final.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #2036 on: May 10, 2016, 12:03:29 pm »
Sometimes I think that's why the likes of Pep and Mourinho never stay too long with the same team. As successful as they are, they stick to a specific philosophy that never relents, and eventually the rest adapt, adopt, and suddenly their last season is far more complicated and difficult than their first. And naturally, they run off to the manage the best team/richest team/reigning champion in another league wher they simply rinse and repeat.
Sorry but this idea that Guardiola sticks to the same philosophy is just not true.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #2037 on: May 10, 2016, 12:08:18 pm »
Sorry but this idea that Guardiola sticks to the same philosophy is just not true.

Thank you. Those diagonal long balls in the box for flick-ons apparently didn't happen at Bayern.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2038 on: May 10, 2016, 12:10:23 pm »
Guardiola has a case for being the best manager in the world so I am sure he will be a success in England.

One thing will be interesting to see is that clearly he is a very creative and cerebral manager but the English game sometimes needs something a bit more simplistic. Its all good coming out with a hundred ways to play football but when they likes of Troy Deeney and co are just barging people out of the way it becomes very basic.

Will be interesting to see how he handles it. He will have the most money and the best players anyway so doubt he will have many issues.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #2039 on: May 10, 2016, 12:30:12 pm »
Guardiola has a case for being the best manager in the world so I am sure he will be a success in England.

One thing will be interesting to see is that clearly he is a very creative and cerebral manager but the English game sometimes needs something a bit more simplistic. Its all good coming out with a hundred ways to play football but when they likes of Troy Deeney and co are just barging people out of the way it becomes very basic.

Will be interesting to see how he handles it. He will have the most money and the best players anyway so doubt he will have many issues.
I'm definitely interested to see how things go between him and our media...