Author Topic: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent  (Read 345672 times)

Offline Sevo

• Happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy happy happy joy joy joy.
  • Kopite
Re: Comolli and Bruckner leave by mutual consent
« Reply #4080 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:03 am »
I think we do need to be signing £30m players. Just not for £30m  ;)
£30 million players that are worth £30 million is the trick. Any fool can spend £30 million, it's who they buy that is the difficult bit. Nobody other than Commoli would have spent £35 million on Carroll or £20 million on Downing for that matter. Xabi Alonso for £10.5 million and Sami Hyppia for £2.5 million are the true benchmarks for value. They are the sort of players we need to sign - good, bags of life in them and worth loads more after just one season!

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4081 on: April 15, 2012, 12:24:09 pm »
LIVERPOOL’S new director of football can expect to work on a summer transfer budget of £20m-£30m with recruitment focused on players under the age of 21.

That policy will take a long time to get us going.

It seems like they are fans of the Arsenal model, but not everyone is Arsene Wenger.

Tomato sauce?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4082 on: April 15, 2012, 12:30:00 pm »
Its an article in the Sunday Times by Duncan Castles, the times understands type article

Offline GeneticRed

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4083 on: April 15, 2012, 12:31:33 pm »
With Graham Barlett the club's commercial director leaving in March and now Comolli leaving, it looks strongly as though there is a major rejigging going on. If Ayre was to replace Bartlett and go back to his previous role this would free up the space as 'managing director' or possibly lead to a C.E.O. Obviously if FSG are to stick to their model, as Werner claimed publicly last week Comolli would need replacing too. However, the remits for the roles may change, especially if we do get a C.E.O.

One of the matters that everyone, us fans and the media alike, seem to have let slip from our thoughts when discussing Comolli leaving is the 'racism row'. As the above NY Times article states we've won just 3 of 14 league games in 2012. Basically since the row. It was turned into the biggest football story around and engulfed the entire club for a period of 2-3 months. The article also shows the far reaching effects of a controversial bad news story.

It could be argued that our failure as a club to successfully stave off the attention it generated was just as significant a factor   in destabilising our season as our signings or tactics and has prompted an urgent reshuffle.

Having no one above Kenny publicly handling this affair may well have led to buck passing and confusion behind the scenes and something which slapped FSG in the face as an obvious need for a major change. Maybe Comolli was asked to step up, maybe Ayre was, maybe neither wanted to or was capable of, maybe they blamed each other. FSG have had a look at it and decided that they need a new man and also want to keep Ayre more than Comolli as the pair cannot work together anymore.

It strikes me that just as the media only peddled one sellable angle for the 'racism row' they are now only interested in feeding us one angle for this story too-  namely the transfer 'failings'. Not saying there are not questions to be asked about our signings, of course there are, but just that there is possibly more depth to the whole affair.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4084 on: April 15, 2012, 12:33:26 pm »
Who's fucked? NYT or FSG?
NYT, as are many newspaper groups in the US that stood still whilst the world changed its news consumption habits

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4085 on: April 15, 2012, 12:36:48 pm »
Its an article in the Sunday Times by Duncan Castles, the times understands type article

mmm, well i'll take that with a huge pinch of salt then. The only part which i believe is factual is the determination to focus the majority of our transfer energies on young players as per the conversation Tom had held and released on the clubs website -

"That strategy is a strong one and it will continue. We need to build a strong system under the first team. We're hard at work identifying transfer targets and we will be better next year."

The figure presented in £20 - £30m is anybodies guess. I also don't believe we won't sign a player that is over 21 years of age either, particularly if we lose a number of first team players in areas where we don't have a natural youngster ready to step up.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline eirwen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4086 on: April 15, 2012, 12:40:35 pm »
I think we need to spend smart, but not necessarily limiting ourselves to young players. What Newcastle did was brilliant. And the Bellamy transfer has worked quite well for us as well. One thing is clear, we should get rid of the buy British policy, as 30m would definitely not go very far.

royhendo

« Reply #4087 on: April 15, 2012, 12:46:00 pm »
It's right though. We'll reinvest trading profit (alarm bells should ring if we don't do that with good reason).

That'll probably be around £30m people seem to think.

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4088 on: April 15, 2012, 12:47:32 pm »
Txiki Begiristain sounds like a good fit from the limited amount I have read. I would be happy mainly spending on younger players, but I still think they will go for the odd experienced player ala Craig B. Not sure if this guy is likely to want to be in Liverpool for a long term project.

The strange bit for me is why DC didn't implement the agreed strategy, my guess is that his mandate was to buy undervalued players, whether they cost 1m or 30m. In that sense Suarez is a big hit whereas Downing at his age not so. If Kenny identified all those players, then I guess FSG needed someone to challenge the logic and enforce their strategy.

Lots of focus on the 35m for Andy, John Henry rationalised that deal (Torres less 15m) but I guess he trusted DC if he said something like he will be amazing straightaway say.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4089 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:35 pm »
It's right though. We'll reinvest trading profit (alarm bells should ring if we don't do that with good reason).

So basically we will be in exactly the same place we would of been in under Moores if we had replaced Parry with Ayre.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4090 on: April 15, 2012, 12:48:43 pm »

To be fair to FSG, there's nothing to show from their US teams that they do anything other than invest profits in the team.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4091 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:19 pm »
To be fair to FSG, there's nothing to show from their US teams that they do anything other than invest profits in the team.

They actually watch their US Sports teams though ;)
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4092 on: April 15, 2012, 12:51:41 pm »
Think people may be jumping to conclusions about the "focus" on recruiting under-21s mentioned in the Castles article. Allowing for the fact that the article could be totally wrong, it goes on to mention a strategy of picking up foreign players, and pre-contract teens in football academies in the lower leagues. I'm guessing that what that would mean is a mix of using the transfer budget mainly for value-for-money first team signings from abroad (but not necessarily under-21s), and effectively poaching young talent from smaller clubs (the focus on u-21 recruitment). My two cents.

Offline socrates the sophist

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #4093 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:24 pm »
NYT, as are many newspaper groups in the US that stood still whilst the world changed its news consumption habits
They didn't particularly stand still. They have a million readers (Everyday most likely) who read the paper online for free. So they are up to grabs, they just didn't (or don't want to) seize the economic opportunity for some reason and it cost them.

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #4094 on: April 15, 2012, 12:54:28 pm »

Is it appropriate to disclose the stuff you didn't think you could talk about before the Semi Roy? No pressure mate, just intrigued - and a bit worried if I'm honest.
Boocoo dinky dau

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4095 on: April 15, 2012, 12:55:28 pm »
They actually watch their US Sports teams though ;)
its a bit easier when you live in that country tho ;)

Offline fowler9_god

• Kopite
  • And could he play!
« Reply #4096 on: April 15, 2012, 12:59:47 pm »

Plus player sales I suppose. Kuyt : 5m, Maxi : 1m, Aurelio : off wage bill
Justice for the 96

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4097 on: April 15, 2012, 01:00:26 pm »
So basically we will be in exactly the same place we would of been in under Moores if we had replaced Parry with Ayre.

Pretty much.

Offline Driver 8

• ...take a break
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4098 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:24 pm »

But with cannier businesspeople than Moores in charge?

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4099 on: April 15, 2012, 01:02:32 pm »

They were actually in this Country though in the lead up to the Semi final unless they had to get back because they had both forgot to put the bins out and pay the milk man.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Azzandro

• Anny Roader
  • Walk through the storm hold your head up high
« Reply #4100 on: April 15, 2012, 01:03:33 pm »
So 30 Mil plus sales (joe cole + alberto included) should give us at least 40 mil to play with, if our scouting team is on top form we can get some v good players for that

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4101 on: April 15, 2012, 01:04:41 pm »
So 30 Mil plus sales (joe cole + alberto included) should give us at least 40 mil to play with, if our scouting team is on top form we can get some v good players for that

Have we actually got a scouting team though ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #4102 on: April 15, 2012, 01:06:11 pm »
Have we actually got a scouting team though ?

I thought we just sacked our scouting team?
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline Azzandro

• Anny Roader
  • Walk through the storm hold your head up high
« Reply #4103 on: April 15, 2012, 01:07:00 pm »
I thought we just sacked our scouting team?

Exactly, we need to bring some respected ones in

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4104 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:06 pm »

What more would you expect from FSG, Al?

Offline dast18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4105 on: April 15, 2012, 01:11:19 pm »
Exactly, we need to bring some respected ones in

Unbelievable that a club the size of LFC don't actually have a scouting team. Even if it is just for a little while.
If he was Dudek would've saved it...and there would be no film.

Offline Kopite B205

• Loves Siemen. And Judge Judy. But not at the same time.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In my life, we've won them all.
« Reply #4106 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »
Nobody has a clue what our spending strategy will be, so stop assuming and making predictions!
Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.

« Reply #4107 on: April 15, 2012, 01:12:28 pm »
From wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_football#As_a_figurehead :

So what sort of DoF do the owners want?
I'd say the third one sounds about right

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #4108 on: April 15, 2012, 01:13:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure we still have a scouting 'network' of sorts.
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #4109 on: April 15, 2012, 01:15:05 pm »
What more would you expect from FSG, Al?

People who would recognise the pretty limitless potential of LFC and put in the place the funding required to realise that potential. People with the vision and bottle to speculate to accumulate. To run the Club as a World famous Icon and not run it like a corner shop, with the money in the till dictating what stock you buy.

FSG seem to be the American Doug Ellis more interested in being cautious and financially prudent than actually understanding what has fallen into their lap and the potential it has.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Hus

• Main Stander
« Reply #4110 on: April 15, 2012, 01:16:14 pm »
Unbelievable that a club the size of LFC don't actually have a scouting team. Even if it is just for a little while.

Just because Comolli has gone doesnt mean all the scouts have stopped doing there job, they will have targets and be watching players etc

Offline -Nay-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4111 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:46 pm »
Nobody has a clue what our spending strategy will be, so stop assuming and making predictions!

is correct.

Offline dast18

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4112 on: April 15, 2012, 01:17:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure we still have a scouting 'network' of sorts.

Hopefully. By some reports it sounds like everyone had gone haha
If he was Dudek would've saved it...and there would be no film.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4113 on: April 15, 2012, 01:18:28 pm »
They were actually in this Country though in the lead up to the Semi final unless they had to get back because they had both forgot to put the bins out and pay the milk man.
er, it was the first game of the season for the red sox in the week leading up to the 100th anniversary of fenway, so its totally reasonable why they'd do that

« Reply #4114 on: April 15, 2012, 01:21:15 pm »
Yeah but don't let sensible logic come in the way of useless criticism

« Reply #4115 on: April 15, 2012, 01:23:28 pm »
Pretty much.
Except these guys are actually trying to increase our profits and have done a bit so far, besides if we can sort out the recruitment, 30M min net every season will go a long way.

Offline cyador

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4116 on: April 15, 2012, 01:27:55 pm »
People who would recognise the pretty limitless potential of LFC and put in the place the funding required to realise that potential. People with the vision and bottle to speculate to accumulate. To run the Club as a World famous Icon and not run it like a corner shop, with the money in the till dictating what stock you buy.

FSG seem to be the American Doug Ellis more interested in being cautious and financially prudent than actually understanding what has fallen into their lap and the potential it has.

So basicly you want them to throw money at us? Fsg will never invest money in liverpool, and frankly i wouldn't want them to. Their focus on  growing the business so that theres more money available to spend on players will stand us in good stead for years.

And quite frankly, if i was fsg i wouldn't trust the liverpool scouting/management to spend a similar amount to last summer. £30 to £40 million is a sensible amount, which if invested wisely could seriously improve our team, whilst at the same time might dissuade the management from pissing the money away on expensive, over priced british players.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4117 on: April 15, 2012, 01:28:25 pm »

I see what you mean. Leading on from that, do you then think Financial Fair Play won't be properly implemented or enforced by UEFA? Or is major investment into the club from FSG a necessary precursor, in your opinion, to revenue-building through sponsorships and a naming-rights partnership for a new stadium?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4118 on: April 15, 2012, 01:33:33 pm »
I think we need to spend smart, but not necessarily limiting ourselves to young players. What Newcastle did was brilliant. And the Bellamy transfer has worked quite well for us as well. One thing is clear, we should get rid of the buy British policy, as 30m would definitely not go very far.

TBF seeing what Newcastle did is probably what cost Comolli his job.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline exiledinyorkshire

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4119 on: April 15, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »
TBF seeing what Newcastle did is probably what cost Comolli his job.

i dont think so in all honesty.

i think that what did for him more was the relative value in Chamerlain and wickham, and we missed out on both. This summer if reports are to be blieved the recruitment side of the club will have our profit to invest. one can only assume that spent wisely we could get 10 players of shelveys age and ability. The question is and obviously was is DC the man to do that, and where is that value on young highly technical players best going to be found. The answer was evidently no DC was not the man, and they may have come as a result of a couple of things. 18 months in the job and looking at deals that had gone on else where (chamberlain, wickham and perhaps more pertinantly Bojan), and secondly the barca connection.

without a shadow of doubt there is one place in world football that is turning out players of the level and at the age that we want. Barca's academy, and the plain truth is that many are surplus to Barca requirements. We want some of them, Comoli doesnt have the clout to bring them here, so he is to be replaced with somebody who does. I have a feeling that Borrel and Seguro are asking for a certain type of player to fit the blue print, they in turn are being asked where they can be found and subsequently how we can get them. The answer all points to Berregastain or what ever his name is.

All speculation on my part of course but looks logical as an explanation if rumours are to be belived.

JFT 96