Author Topic: A future without Steven Gerrard  (Read 44697 times)

Offline Redeo

• Kopite
Re: A future without Steven Gerrard
« Reply #400 on: July 30, 2012, 10:56:07 pm »

He is a very impulsive player and doesn't do well when he has a lot of time on the ball such as in central midfield. I do think he has a good eye for a through ball which he can utilize when playing just behind the striker. The main problem is weather or not he has the legs to drop back and help out defensively when playing as the third man in midfield and then get back up the pitch when we have the ball.
Agreed. And one additional problem is that he is approaching that dangerous period in his career when he might be content to live off of his past laurels, especially now being England's captain alonside Mr. Liverpool. As with Rafa, dealing with Gerrard will be a difficult task for Rodgers.
It's a website mate. Names can't be named. If they were, there'd be mutiny. If they aren't, people will scream ... ask for proof. But you will never find 100% proof of anything on here. So, .. look at all evidence, weigh everything up and make a decision.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #401 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:40 pm »
This is so true. I have often called Gerrard unintelligent in the last few years but that is because I now see him as a central midfielder. As a central midfielder, he has very poor inteligence and decision making. However, when he plays of the striker, he seems to have great decision making and intelligence. I hope to God that Rodgers realizes what Rafa did, that Gerrard needs to play just off the striker.

you best give him a ring and put him wise...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline MiserableP15

• Liable to get overexcited at the site of opposition goalie's rear
  • Legacy Fan
  • Certified thread killer - Best on the web.
« Reply #402 on: July 30, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »
This is beyond stupid.

Maybe I'm talking out of my arse, but I'd be keen to know our league form with and without Gerrard in the team last season, then for example to compare it against our league form with and without Lucas in the team.

Given your username my concern is that your view isn't necessarily unbiased.
"So Bierhoff’s got a short time to press his claims, now that the other two strikers who started the match have both been taken off……Kuntz."

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #403 on: July 30, 2012, 10:59:56 pm »
This is beyond stupid.

as is most of the thread...
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #404 on: July 30, 2012, 11:25:32 pm »

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: July 30, 2012, 11:27:26 pm »
as is most of the thread...

Care to explain what has been so stupid about this thread?

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #406 on: July 30, 2012, 11:39:58 pm »
Care to explain what has been so stupid about this thread?

pages 1 to 11...

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #407 on: July 30, 2012, 11:50:03 pm »
We cannot expect a full injury free season from Gerrard. we cannot get 45 starts from him. maybe 19 PL starts and 19 sub appearances if needed. no need to play him in EL or cup games unless in very late stages. this could prolong him and keep him fresh.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #408 on: July 30, 2012, 11:52:17 pm »
pages 1 to 11...

You wait till you read page 12 don't want to peak too early !
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: July 31, 2012, 12:12:02 am »
All these people belittling those showing genuine concern about the value that Gerrard has been adding to our team and rightly pointing out that over the last 3 seasons we've managed better results (i.e. points) without him in the team than with him in... why? I understand he has been a legend, and we all hope that he can turn it on again, and given his slightly better performances at he Euros, maybe he can. But surely blind stupid faith is more damaging to our side than anything? Maybe it is just right that we wouldnt have been through all of the recent heartache if we'd figured out how to get more out of a changing Stevie than struggling through with him anchoring our midfield sometimes.

These threads always frustrate me because there seems to be a general blindness around this issue.

Offline AnfieldRD19

• Not worried at all about his manbuddy.
  • Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #410 on: July 31, 2012, 12:50:43 am »
I don't think we'll have another midfielder as well-rounded as Gerrard was for a long time. I personally think Gerrard was at his best during 2007-2009 when he played in the number 10 position. He was able to have a free role throughout the pitch because Xabi and Masch were there to control the middle. The only person in our club that I believe can fill that role is Suso . He definitely has attacking abilities comparable to Gerrard, he was probably the best player on Spain's U19 team this summer. I'm not saying he's as well rounded as Gerrard but he certainly can play that number 10 role if we have someone like Lucas and someone else that's able to control the game like Xabi can. But then again, not many people can do what Xabi does...God I miss him

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #411 on: July 31, 2012, 01:15:23 am »
All these people belittling those showing genuine concern about the value that Gerrard has been adding to our team and rightly pointing out that over the last 3 seasons we've managed better results (i.e. points) without him in the team than with him in... why? I understand he has been a legend, and we all hope that he can turn it on again, and given his slightly better performances at he Euros, maybe he can. But surely blind stupid faith is more damaging to our side than anything? Maybe it is just right that we wouldnt have been through all of the recent heartache if we'd figured out how to get more out of a changing Stevie than struggling through with him anchoring our midfield sometimes.

These threads always frustrate me because there seems to be a general blindness around this issue.

It's crystal clear to me, play him deep in midfield and we either lose out or just do ok in the main, play him as part of an attacking unit and we all prosper. The problem is it's a debate that's been done to death and not many fancy going over it again. Wouldn't call it a blindness, just a near pointless exercise as the time is gone now: whatever is done now, the time for the player's best aligning with the team's best to get us major titles is gone. Even if we played him in the three up top, he gets 15 goals and 10 assists next season, there are too many flaws in the squad (even with some astute signings) to get us the league title.

With Gerrard, don't think it's a matter of turning it 'on' again mate. It's all still there; it's where and how to play him. I remember watching him in his early years, his debut goal against Sheffield Wednesday when he dummied his way past two players and finished; remember thinking "Here's a guy who can lock down the right flank for the next 15 years". Curse the day he got it into his head that he fancied 'taking a game by the scruff of the neck'.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: July 31, 2012, 02:02:07 am »
It's crystal clear to me, play him deep in midfield and we either lose out or just do ok in the main, play him as part of an attacking unit and we all prosper. The problem is it's a debate that's been done to death and not many fancy going over it again. Wouldn't call it a blindness, just a near pointless exercise as the time is gone now: whatever is done now, the time for the player's best aligning with the team's best to get us major titles is gone. Even if we played him in the three up top, he gets 15 goals and 10 assists next season, there are too many flaws in the squad (even with some astute signings) to get us the league title.

With Gerrard, don't think it's a matter of turning it 'on' again mate. It's all still there; it's where and how to play him. I remember watching him in his early years, his debut goal against Sheffield Wednesday when he dummied his way past two players and finished; remember thinking "Here's a guy who can lock down the right flank for the next 15 years". Curse the day he got it into his head that he fancied 'taking a game by the scruff of the neck'.

Good post

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: July 31, 2012, 02:27:14 am »

You make it seem like he has had a failed career.

Curse the day? He was very good as a box to box centre midfielder in his earlier days.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #414 on: August 2, 2012, 08:30:43 pm »
Needs to stop playing the long ball.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: August 2, 2012, 08:32:21 pm »
Needs to stop playing the long ball.

He needs to stop dallying on the ball as well. He keeps getting caught out and giving the ball away. Been our poorest player tonight, fortunately we know that won't be a regular occurence.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline gerrardlfc

• Kopite
« Reply #416 on: August 2, 2012, 08:52:37 pm »
He needs to play further up the pitch, think it will happen when lucas starts more games.

Offline Purdy

• Legacy Fan
  • Gobble gobble turkey
« Reply #417 on: August 2, 2012, 08:53:26 pm »
Was fucking terrible, expect Andy to have a field day, hope this was a one off

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: August 2, 2012, 08:53:51 pm »
Loved seeing him farther forward in the second half. Really hope he stays there this season. Poor game though.

Offline Get

• ...ting perilously close to being banned, so even the avatar is WRONG!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Support Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #419 on: August 2, 2012, 08:54:41 pm »
the long ball belongs under roy hodgson, and we see he is still being confused after the euros
Quote from: Fordy on July 20, 2012, 01:24:46 PM
Anything more that 6m for Joe Allen and we have been ripped off.

Loads of Joe allens out there.

I would like to see him stay at Swansea myself and see if he can have another decent season. He is a championship player - players like a championship player.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
« Reply #420 on: August 2, 2012, 09:04:12 pm »
Lacks match practice and training with the new system. Hope that gets better in time.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: August 2, 2012, 09:04:46 pm »
Was fucking terrible, expect Andy to have a field day, hope this was a one off

If Gerrard is asked to play in Central midfield, it won't be.

Offline NorthamptonKopite

• Non-
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #422 on: August 2, 2012, 09:05:26 pm »
When he plays deep and collects the ball, he rarely does much good for us.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #423 on: August 2, 2012, 09:06:25 pm »
anyone trying to judge any player this soon is a total muppet in my opinion!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline gerrardlfc

• Kopite
« Reply #424 on: August 2, 2012, 09:12:20 pm »
anyone trying to judge any player this soon is a total muppet in my opinion!
Spot on, especially Steven Gerrard.

Offline groove

• eeeeee baby!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #425 on: August 2, 2012, 09:19:29 pm »
It was just a more rusty version of performances he had playing in a 4-3-3 last season. Newcastle away, United away, Chelsea FA Cup Final. Those games stick out in my mind as evidence that the more time he spends sat on the half way line when we're in possession the more time he will just spend collecting balls off the centre back and attempting to play 40 yard straight balls to lone, isolated centre forwards.

I'm pleased Rodgers made the adjustment and pushed him up alongside Borini in the second half. That's really encouraging from the manager for me.

EDIT: Hope it doesn't come across like I'm criticising Gerrard here. It's just a square peg in round hole thing that was frustrating far too often last season.
« Last Edit: August 2, 2012, 09:25:45 pm by groove »

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: August 2, 2012, 09:20:27 pm »
He needs to get fit, obviously. So do half of the squad, to be expected.

Offline dh07kop

• Kopite
  • Alright Chicken George laa
« Reply #427 on: August 2, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »
Didn't watch the game but heard Carra was captain dispite Gerrard playing. When Gerrard plays hes captain, why was this not the case today?
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool."

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: August 2, 2012, 09:27:53 pm »
Didn't watch the game but heard Carra was captain dispite Gerrard playing. When Gerrard plays hes captain, why was this not the case today?

It was Carra's 700th Liverpool- game  :)

Offline andspecks

• avers would probably help my analysis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: August 2, 2012, 09:29:32 pm »
Gerrard gave Carra the armband for his 700th game.

Offline mart356

• Lucas Leiva, midfield saviour. Dejan Lover
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: August 2, 2012, 09:32:31 pm »
hes an attacking midfielder. Not a central midfielder. I actually think hes really poor when just played in centre mid. Doesnt really have a clue what to do, whereas when hes played further forward, his main incentive is to score/create goals, which hes very good at.

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #431 on: August 2, 2012, 09:33:00 pm »
Get him further forward.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: August 2, 2012, 09:34:07 pm »
I thought him much improved when he was moved further up.

Hopefully Rodgers sees it the same way and keeps him there  :wave

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #433 on: August 2, 2012, 09:40:14 pm »
Rodgers passing football 0 Gerrard Hollywood ball 1. Steven Gerrard he plays how he wants.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #434 on: August 2, 2012, 10:01:04 pm »
A player doesn't need to be fit to not hit aimless long balls, get caught on the ball and generally play anti-pass-and-move football! As most of us know Stevie is wasted in CM, if he continues to be played there - regardless of what he wants, there is something fishy going on!

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #435 on: August 2, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »
A player doesn't need to be fit to not hit aimless long balls, get caught on the ball and generally play anti-pass-and-move football! As most of us know Stevie is wasted in CM, if he continues to be played there - regardless of what he wants, there is something fishy going on!

I guess Rodgers noticed that he was wasted in CM, that's why he moved him up. Given that his performance improved after that, I doubt that he'll stay in CM for long.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: August 2, 2012, 10:08:34 pm »
Rodgers passing football 0 Gerrard Hollywood ball 1. Steven Gerrard he plays how he wants.

Tbf Al the difference was night and day when gerrard moved out of midfield when Rogers but brought lucas on. Gerrard was actually useful than rather than just a hindrance and we kept possession much better two. Can see why Rogers wants allen and also it shows that our best formation is 4-2-3-1 not 433 as gerrard will end up coming way to deep and being just a problem rather imo.

Offline AisoD

• Anny Roader
  • On my best behaviour. Honest.
« Reply #437 on: August 2, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »
Get a grip. Gerrard was just rusty as fuck and it showed.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: August 2, 2012, 10:10:32 pm »
That is what stood out for me tonight like a sore thumb, he lacks the discipline to play deep or CM. I think Henderson suffers from playing alongside him also.

Offline Chalky Boots

• Legacy Fan
  • Neurotic Fan Fiction
« Reply #439 on: August 2, 2012, 10:11:11 pm »
Can we not tie his shoe laces together?