Author Topic: How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard  (Read 26665 times)

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard
« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2011, 06:26:50 am »
Put him at the head of a three, supporting a striker (hopefully Suarez for a few games yet before the ban kicks in), and the rest of the attackers don't really matter. It's how good Stevie and Suarez as a combo can be.

Classy finish. About time we go on a run of wins.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #121 on: December 31, 2011, 07:21:13 am »
I hope Stevie plays in a more advanced role, but really wherever he plays he's head and shoulders above our other midfielders. Might be a good time to give Charlie Adam a rest anyway.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: December 31, 2011, 07:34:28 am »
I know it’s probably rose/red tinted glasses but, I can’t think of another player in the PL that gives his a team a dynamism on the field as well as lifting the supporters when he comes on the field.

People keep banging on about signing a quality right winger. Some of his crosses during his cameo today were superb. You don’t have to get to the by-line when you can whip them in like Stevie.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #123 on: December 31, 2011, 07:35:40 am »
Just a different class, everyone should cherish watching this guy play for as long as he can go for, players like him don't come around to often.
-YNWA-

Offline GIPPO77

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: December 31, 2011, 07:43:23 am »
He just has that drive and desire to win which all our players need.
YNWA

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #125 on: December 31, 2011, 07:55:10 am »
I think it is pretty bad, when you see an unfit Gerrard coming on, making a great impact like he does and then realizing Gerrard is on another planet compared to certain other members in the team.

This crossed my mind I must admit.

Offline fosspowered

• Legacy Fan
  • More of an IDK than ITK.
    • FOSSPowered
« Reply #126 on: December 31, 2011, 08:01:24 am »
Did you celebrate?
This was Andy's reaction to the goal.

Offline Something Awful

• is stinking out the feedback forum. Wants a blow job from a velociraptor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2011, 08:05:41 am »
I heard it was more:

Including the throne.
'Despite their  cup pedigree - since they've returned to the top flight in 1962 - Everton have, after today's results, once again gone further in the FA Cup than their much vaunted neighbours. For the record it's Everton 23 Liverpool 22  and 7 ties in 52 seasons'

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2011, 08:07:03 am »
He's a fucking incredible isn't he ?  Came in and immediately made Carroll look like a completely different player.  Its obvious that Carroll lacks a bit of confidence the manner in which his touch let him down a couple of times but regardless it was obvious Stevie knew how to get the best out of him.  The manner in which he hit the early balls as Carroll was one on one with a defender was great and some of the vision to pick him out was absolutely sublime.  Its brilliant that he is back and looks to be in decent nick as well.  Can't wait to see him improve his fitness and establish himself in the team again.  I think it may spell the end of Adam in the first team though.  He came in and showed that the difference between the two of them in terms of ability is massive and from the looks of things, they might play in the same position unless of course Adam plays in the role Henderson slipped into once Gerrard came into the game.  All of a sudden it feels like we have numerous options when only recently everyone was collectively bemoaned the lack of options in midfield.  Great great cameo.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2011, 08:12:03 am »
This crossed my mind I must admit.

It's Steven Gerrard though.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline trembles97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2011, 08:18:11 am »
I wonder when he is going to start playing the full 90, or if he'll ever be able to again.

It's tempting to just make him the best substitute ever if I'm being honest. His influence on the game is ridiculous and would be a real spark for the last 30-40 minutes of games.

Offline bad wool

• Voted most aptly named RAWKite 2011-12
  • Main Stander
« Reply #131 on: December 31, 2011, 08:21:19 am »
Where is andy@allerton?  :-X
gritsvanilla and rome77 were two of his biggest critics.  haven't seen the latter for a while (with a small 'r'). Real beaut he was.

Offline Aarhus

• Main Stander
« Reply #132 on: December 31, 2011, 08:23:48 am »
Cant remember the last time I had a smile that big on my face when Gerrard put the ball back into the net.

Fucking brilliant. God I have missed him!

Offline Kite

• The answer my friend, is blowing in the....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: December 31, 2011, 08:24:30 am »
Post match interview just made me think of him as a manager, he's a natural leader of men on the pitch, a future managerial pairing of Stevie, with Carra as assistant I reckon.  Hope he still plays ala Giggs for sometime yet,  cheered me right up tonight, sitting in Annie rd, fully of lurgy, freezing my fat arse off. 
Who says fatties can't play football.......

Offline gerrardsarmy

• Wouldn't say no to a spanking
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: December 31, 2011, 08:38:25 am »
Post match interview just made me think of him as a manager, he's a natural leader of men on the pitch, a future managerial pairing of Stevie, with Carra as assistant I reckon.  Hope he still plays ala Giggs for sometime yet,  cheered me right up tonight, sitting in Annie rd, fully of lurgy, freezing my fat arse off. 

I still think he could play alot of minutes for 2-3 seasons yet, if and it's a big if, his body holds up. Even after that though just give him 30 minutes when we are pushing for a win like tonight and he will still make a difference.
“I always think that there’s something unpleasant lurking in people who avoid drinking, gambling, table-talk and pretty women. People like that are either sick or secretly hate their fellow-men.”

Offline nocturnalvin

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice For The 96.
« Reply #135 on: December 31, 2011, 08:43:38 am »
He evokes all kinds of football cliches anyone can think of.

The "high five" with Kenny has got to be the most wonderful sight last night. Two of the greatest Liverpool legends ever. EVER.

Offline Carlito Roberto

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: December 31, 2011, 08:44:15 am »
You're just too good to be true.

Online Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #137 on: December 31, 2011, 08:47:47 am »
Too old, legs don't have it anymore, need to be phased out, youngster to take over, won't miss him, trade him while can etc etc.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #138 on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:08 am »
I thought some of his best work was to the right last night, don't usually do formations but based on those balls into the box, I'd love to see

Imagine Suarez and Stevie interchanging *dribbles*

Carroll
Suarez                          Gerrard
                  Henderson
          Adam             Lucas

Enrique     Agger  Skrtel    Johnson

Offline _00_deathscar

• Has a quite operational deflecsor shield.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
    • The Suite Life by Chinmoy Lad
« Reply #139 on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:10 am »

I don't remember Gerrard being quite this much better than all of our other midfielders before though?

Because for half a decade, we had this other bloke in midfield called Xabi Alonso who happened to be half decent in his own right and has gone on to prove that. You might have forgotten that!*

That other bloke Dietmar Hamann wasn't a bad player either, neither were Mascherano, Sissoko (before the injury) and Gary Mac for the short time he was here. Also, Lucas.

*Seriously though - Xabi was a player and a half. Him and Gerrard together in the same side *drool*
All things luxury travel. Be inspired for your next trip: https://www.thesuitelife.com.hk

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #140 on: December 31, 2011, 08:49:24 am »
God i wish he could teach other players in the team how to cross like he does

Offline NZ Red

• Kopite
« Reply #141 on: December 31, 2011, 08:51:44 am »
I love him so much. What a player.

Offline bad wool

• Main Stander
« Reply #142 on: December 31, 2011, 09:06:48 am »
A fit Gerrard will give us the cutting edge or penetration that we need, and have been lacking when he's been missing over the years.

He represents the standard that needs to be reached on the pitch and the Liverpool standard. He's Mr. Liverpool out there at the moment, even more so now Carra's not playing.

Offline Yer nanas hanging baskets

• Main Stander
« Reply #143 on: December 31, 2011, 09:10:16 am »
A once in a generation player. A quite majestic footballer.

A half fit steven is a dynamic one. Privileged to have watched him play these last 13 years. Without doubt one of if not the greatest player to pull on the shirt.

Offline Red345

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
How to Earn Your Place: Welcome Back, Mr. Gerrard
« Reply #144 on: December 31, 2011, 09:27:03 am »
Cant remember the last time I had a smile that big on my face when Gerrard put the ball back into the net.

Fucking brilliant. God I have missed him!

Can't remember the last time Gerrard had a smile that big on his face!  He looks refreshed and genuinely at ease.  It's a small sample set but being out for so long might've made him cherish the game even more if possible.

Offline shawnk

• redemptn
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2011, 09:32:05 am »

There was a great moment when he was putting his shin pads in readying to come on, when Pardew looks over his shoulder, sees Gerrard, and the look on his face just said 'Oh Shit!'.

Haha I saw that too, more like "oh fuck.." for me.  ;D

Offline gatcliffe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 31, 2011, 09:42:39 am »
Totally agree
Like a bottle of wine the reds get better and better.

Offline kiwiscouser

• Kopite
« Reply #147 on: December 31, 2011, 09:46:46 am »
Could be the catalyst for us getting a top 4 finish this year.  Immediately we looked a far better side with him on, Carroll even looked dangerous.  if we are able to bring in some quality in january and keep Stevie fit then we have a real chance I say

Offline danwarb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #148 on: December 31, 2011, 09:55:03 am »
Nice compilation of Gerrard assists: http://youtu.be/mUcgK_4J26Q

And the goals: http://youtu.be/JvYAjdhQop8
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 10:13:22 am by danwarb »

Offline Kochevnik

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #149 on: December 31, 2011, 10:00:59 am »

This.  A thousand times this.

For a player who has played in central midfield most of his career, his technique on a cross is unbelievable.  Power, pace, and precision.  Every one of them just begs to be touched into the net.
Managers who have won fewer than three European Cups: Ferguson, Mourinho, Guardiola, Saachi, Hiddink, Hitzfeld, Clough, Happel, Trapattoni, Cruyff, Michels, Lobanovsky, Capello, and many more.
Managers who have won three or more European Cups: Bob Paisley

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #150 on: December 31, 2011, 10:06:35 am »
What a man.  WHAT A MAN.

Offline CognacBut

• BrandyAss
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 31, 2011, 10:11:28 am »
Just don't think his heart is in it anymore.

Oh, and his legs are gone.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2011, 10:13:52 am »
Sometimes I wonder if they practice. The rest of them are so bad at it, the amount of balls played too flat or on the defender as opposed to in behind is woeful.

Gerrard is so good because he puts the ball in early, often first time, which means there is space in between the keeper and the defence. He doesn't need to hit the byeline in the same way Beckham never ever did, it is a bit of a footballing myth that you need to get to the bye-line to get a decent cross in.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

Given what i have heard, i think even from himself that would be the other way round. Carra will be our manager one day, if Stevie was the assistant then it would just be incredible. Long long way of, of course. Just an exciting prospect to think about for the future!
-YNWA-

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2011, 10:22:39 am »
Seriously, we are lucky to be living in an era when we are witnessing one the the greatest footballers of all time. He didn't even need last night to demonstrate he is a true master of his art, a level above 'world class' - we already knew. Last night was the icing on Kenny's cake.

..... And he plays for Liverpool.

Offline Nazi Dickhead

• Legacy Fan
  • Man moth?
« Reply #155 on: December 31, 2011, 10:24:46 am »
Sometimes I wonder if they practice. The rest of them are so bad at it, the amount of balls played too flat or on the defender as opposed to in behind is woeful.

Gerrard is so good because he puts the ball in early, often first time, which means there is space in between the keeper and the defence. He doesn't need to hit the byeline in the same way Beckham never ever did, it is a bit of a footballing myth that you need to get to the bye-line to get a decent cross in.

They can practise and practise and practise all they like, improve a little yes, but Gerrard has world class talent for Football and thats the difference something which can't be taught. Unfortunately!

I still think the quality of crossing from the rest of the team is still down to a lack of confidence anyway.
-YNWA-

Offline bad wool

• Main Stander
« Reply #156 on: December 31, 2011, 10:32:26 am »
What a man.  WHAT A MAN.
Hang on, that's what the Mrs says...

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #157 on: December 31, 2011, 10:39:38 am »
Just a little bit above everyone else then... ha!

This man... I am not even gonna repeat it again as everyone else has already said all that I feel about Steven Gerrard, if I was a gay, I'd make a move on him, I'll put it in that way.

Fuck it I'd do it anyway. Love the man.

I will repeat this however, he might have gone to Hogwarts when he was a kid or some shit because it's some sort of spell/magic the ability for player to raise their game as soon as he puts those two fit on the pitch, fucking magical!

Offline sirjames

• The Manly Eunuch
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: December 31, 2011, 11:02:44 am »
words are yet to be invented how good this man is at football.
If we win, its normal because were Liverpool Football Club
Rafa  25/1/05

Offline maher

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone..
« Reply #159 on: December 31, 2011, 11:02:56 am »
when he came on suddenly the whole team looked different, even before he touched the ball!
you feel that the team was missing the real leader and then, the best leader in the world came on!
the sensation and the confidence he add to the team is unbelievable.