Author Topic: New Attenborough Masterpiece Frozen Planet  (Read 12322 times)

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
Re: New Attenborough Masterpiece Frozen Planet
« Reply #160 on: November 9, 2011, 10:45:11 pm »
staggering shots there at the end too. I reckon I'd be slightly less calm in that boat/dinghy. Just a bit.
I was just saying that to the Missus earlier.
How the fuck do they stay so calm in a situation where most of us would seriously shit our pants?

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #161 on: November 9, 2011, 10:49:10 pm »
Yeah, killer whales are nasty bastards.

And yet they have such a cuddle name, weird! Apart from the odd aquarium flip out am I right in thinking  there's never been a reported killer whale attack on a human?

Wow, just seen that footage at the end when they swam under the dingy. Amazing. I'd have been getting out of there asap! I know they're just doing what they love but that was pretty brave.
« Last Edit: November 9, 2011, 11:16:35 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: November 9, 2011, 11:14:49 pm »
Killer whales are scared of being nipped by a seal! 'Nah, I'll wait till me mates help me out'. What's their problem? There's a dozen or so ganging up on one Minky whale and they'd rather tire it out? Killer whales are the grand wooses of the seas. They put the pathetic sharks to shame.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: November 10, 2011, 06:17:41 pm »
Just watching the latest episode, Orcas are c*nts. So are those birds that nick off with the baby penguins.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline mbyx6cg2

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: November 11, 2011, 10:36:18 am »
Thought it was boss when them birds kept pecking at the polar bear. He was not amused!
Once she's had a few glasses of Chardonnay I'll be in quicker than you can say PDF to offer her a jolly good spit shining of her corned beef curtains

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: November 11, 2011, 10:54:56 am »
It's shows like this that makes the license fee worthwhile.

After the last episodes I went on a mad hunt for previous BBC documentaries and have now downloaded Life, Planet Earth, Yellowstone and a couple of others in HD.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #166 on: November 11, 2011, 11:02:48 am »
So are those birds that nick off with the baby penguins.

I was hoping the polar bear was gonna come and fuck their shit up.

It's quite scary to see how clever the killer whales are when they're attacking and how calm those guys were in the dingy. I was saying to my mate when we were watching it that I wouldn't even think about getting into it even when they were focusing on the seal.

And I'm glad they didn't show a seal pup getting killed in the middle of that fight or a couple of dead ones in the aftermath like a classic Attenborough program would! Their cries were heartbreaking.
http://www.twitter.com/matt8pie
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #167 on: November 11, 2011, 11:04:06 am »
I like Orcas, even though Seals are cute and I love them too Orcas are badass mofos and very very smart! Their wave trick is impressive, those guys in the rubber dinghy had balls!

The bird who stole the baby penguin annoyed me, reminded me of seaguls, bloody stupid creatures!! DIE!!

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #168 on: November 11, 2011, 11:05:14 am »
So are those birds that nick off with the baby penguins.

I was hoping the polar bear was gonna come and fuck their shit up.

that would have been a long trip  :P

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #169 on: November 11, 2011, 11:08:33 am »
Saw the first two last night. Amazing.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Boris Johnson's speech writer. Seeks vindication for slating players, the very definition of "supporter". Still doesn't get it.
  • Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2011, 11:14:31 am »
that would have been a long trip  :P

Haha I know, but he was a desperate bear and in desperate times... ;)
Most people in this world are tits. The fact they have an allegiance with Liverpool Football Club doesn't change that.

Online Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: November 11, 2011, 08:19:10 pm »
have only seen the first episode so far, which was sensational. Don't know if this footage appears in later episodes but I thought it was very moving: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15536157   

I had no idea Scott's hut was still standing

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: November 11, 2011, 08:33:32 pm »
And yet they have such a cuddle name, weird! Apart from the odd aquarium flip out am I right in thinking  there's never been a reported killer whale attack on a human?

I'm fairly certain, and I may well be wrong,  there has been cases of captive Killers killing their keepers/performers, and there is a big outcry about how sad it is for the human involved. They are lethal and intelligent, it shouldn't be a shock.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2011, 09:15:34 pm »
Better advert for HD than Sky Sports.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Surprise me.

• Is 2" bigger than fordy87.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #174 on: November 17, 2011, 12:24:16 am »
Some of those shots are ridiculous. Wow.

Have to appreciate the work that has gone in. I would love to be part of the film crew or even just be there for the smallest of jobs.

Offline Matt8Pie

• Legacy Fan
  • YANKS OUT
« Reply #175 on: November 17, 2011, 12:55:30 am »
I'm fairly certain, and I may well be wrong,  there has been cases of captive Killers killing their keepers/performers, and there is a big outcry about how sad it is for the human involved. They are lethal and intelligent, it shouldn't be a shock.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killer_whale_attacks_on_humans

A job I'd never do.

The episode tonight was great. I loved the fat penguins.

Offline scoresagain

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: November 17, 2011, 01:40:33 am »
Stunning, just absolutely stunning. If I don't get to work for the BBC on a programme like this, I will consider my life completely wasted.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: November 17, 2011, 09:03:53 am »
I loved the polar bears last night, such solitary animals usually, but then rolling around with each other, playfighting and shit. Fascinating to watch.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: November 17, 2011, 01:28:53 pm »
Just watching this on catch up and loving the site of the Balouga (sp?) having a scrub and brish up in a Canadian estuary.  Fantastic camerawork yet again
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #179 on: November 17, 2011, 01:32:55 pm »
Those time-lapse shots of ice/frost just blew me away. When the DVD boxset comes out I will be first in the queue :D

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #180 on: November 17, 2011, 03:03:30 pm »
this series has so far provided some of the best and funniest tv of the year. the fat emporer penguins trying to squeeze through/between gaps in the ice was hilarious.

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2011, 05:33:05 pm »
What's the science behind the sun not setting for 3 months and then not reappearing for another few months? Can't understand that if we revolve around it.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: November 17, 2011, 07:26:47 pm »
What's the science behind the sun not setting for 3 months and then not reappearing for another few months? Can't understand that if we revolve around it.
Earth tilts towards the sun for half the year (meaning the north bit gets lots of sun and the south bit doesn't see it) and away from it for the rest of the year (meaning the south bit gets lots of sun and the north bit none).

This tilting action repeats annually.

Not very scientific but hope it helps. Shine a light on to a football and tilt the ball to and fro.

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #183 on: November 17, 2011, 07:52:39 pm »

Axial tilt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axial_tilt

And for dummies.  :P

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DuiQvPLWziQ?version=3" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DuiQvPLWziQ?version=3</a>

Hope that helps.  :wave
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:55:10 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: November 17, 2011, 10:17:56 pm »
Axial tilt.

Hope that helps.  :wave
So........basically what I said then? ;D :wave

Offline Surprise me.

• Legacy Fan
  • Formerly El Torres.
« Reply #185 on: November 17, 2011, 10:44:44 pm »
Cheers lads! Surprised I didn't know that. I'll just blame my school teachers. I was never taught it..

Online Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
    • Terry O'Shea @184tosh
« Reply #186 on: November 18, 2011, 01:57:54 am »
Just watched the latest one and it is stunning, as the whole series has been so far.
Masterpiece indeed..

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »
Looking forward to picking this up when it comes out on blu-ray.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:51 pm »
Latest episode tonight 9.00pm back in winter I think.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline INABITSKI

• An own-nut-fondling manly man's wool. Possibly.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:20 pm »
In these darkened days of Delivering Quality First, cutbacks and the rising, thrashing tides of reality television, BBC1's Frozen Planet is revelatory. A timely reminder of the BBC at its best, it's a showcase for public-service broadcasting: epic in scope and poised with grandeur, its calm authority and elegant images are a mid-week salve, a bulwark against the shrill catcalls of the weekend fare.

And, thank God, we're paying attention – 9.7 million of us, according to Barb. That's more than the Saturday evening audience for The X Factor (9.6 million), which should surely give us all some hope to cling to. Frozen Planet takes us close to a landscape that few of us understand and rarely consider: a third of our planet, crucial to maintaining the earth's eco-systems, which remains shrouded in ignorance. We need these images. But news this week that the series has been curtailed to aid international sales has been met with sharp criticism, environmental groups decrying the BBC's move to market the seventh episode, the only one to deal explicitly with climate change, as an optional extra - and one that the key polluting countries, including the US, are unlikely to see. The BBC's defence stresses that this episode is different – that, being presenter-led, it causes issues for dubbing and audience reception that the other six did not.

Yet that's the problem. In backloading the scientific observation to a bolt-on finale, its warnings are eclipsed by a dangerous message of climate change as a fringe concern, an afterthought shrugged to the graveyard shift so as not to mar our entertainment. In packaging the uncomfortable and oh-so-inconvenient truths so neatly into a single hour, the BBC has made them all too easy to ignore. "Thanks for the warning. I will know now to avoid the last one," says one below-the-line commenter on the The Daily Telegraph's website, but at least we have the option to watch it. When broadcasters shy away from controversial programming – or assist others in doing so – they aren't just doing their viewers a disservice but neglecting a duty to present the world as it is, not just as we might wish it to be.

Frozen Planet is beautiful, stunningly crafted television, but a slightly neglected opportunity. We need these images, sure, but more than this we need to know what they mean and why we soon may not be seeing them again. Otherwise, what are we watching beyond a cosy stream of Disney narratives, of anthropomorphised animals eating, mating, playing and fighting? We get enough of those stories on Saturday nights.

http://www.independent.co.uk/i/iwriters-we-need-to-see-these-tv-images-6265488.html

Offline gomez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: November 23, 2011, 06:35:56 pm »
Is it the last one tonight?

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: November 23, 2011, 06:38:02 pm »
The Finger of Death is on tonight's episode.

BBC Radio Cornwall interviewed one of the cameramen from that bit this morning. It was a fascinating account and I'm really looking forward to the time-lapse sequence of the so-called 'brinicle' forming He said, intriguingly, "...it looks like CGI, like something from Pixar. You can't believe it's real."

Oh and the book is out - a tenner in our work's book club. Ace :)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 06:42:07 pm by 24/7 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: November 23, 2011, 06:49:26 pm »
The Finger of Death is on tonight's episode.

BBC Radio Cornwall interviewed one of the cameramen from that bit this morning. It was a fascinating account and I'm really looking forward to the time-lapse sequence of the so-called 'brinicle' forming He said, intriguingly, "...it looks like CGI, like something from Pixar. You can't believe it's real."

Oh and the book is out - a tenner in our work's book club. Ace :)

The book for a tenner yer lucky devil.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: November 23, 2011, 06:50:14 pm »
The book for a tenner yer lucky devil.
It's a big book 'n all.....luckily dough its got loadsa piccies like innit lid ;D

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: November 23, 2011, 06:55:27 pm »
It's a big book 'n all.....luckily dough its got loadsa piccies like innit lid ;D

If it is anything like the Planet Earth book it will be stunning, one of my best purchases that was. :) 

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:52 pm »
If it is anything like the Planet Earth book it will be stunning, one of my best purchases that was. :) 
It really, really, really is that good......some of the pic are just amazing - it's like looking at my own pics of the Arctic but much bigger and in much better definition. It tugs at the heartstrings cos it reminds me of living there and seeing the most amazing skies and landscapes and wildlife.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2011, 07:00:41 pm »
It really, really, really is that good......some of the pic are just amazing - it's like looking at my own pics of the Arctic but much bigger and in much better definition. It tugs at the heartstrings cos it reminds me of living there and seeing the most amazing skies and landscapes and wildlife.

Jeez I never realised you lived there once, that must of been epic, you should start a new thread and upload your piccies.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: November 23, 2011, 07:22:43 pm »
Jeez I never realised you lived there once, that must of been epic, you should start a new thread and upload your piccies.

Knowing Jim it'll be like a Monty Python sketch...
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: November 23, 2011, 07:57:15 pm »
Right! How to defend yourselves against a man armed with a cloudberry! ;D

Not a bad idea that, jillc - might think about doing that but it will be a pain in the arse to resize the pics from 3MB down to 200kb ;)

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: November 23, 2011, 08:00:16 pm »

Can parrots survive in the arctic though? ;)