Author Topic: The PC Gaming Thread  (Read 267872 times)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The PC Gaming Thread
« Reply #520 on: August 17, 2012, 03:15:52 pm »
Got a 75% coupon for portal 2 if anyones interested? On steam.

Likewise, got one as well.

Also if anyone wants it. Pretty much everyone i know has it.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline cim-pim-param

• cim-pim-param, chim-chim-chiroo
  • Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #521 on: August 17, 2012, 03:18:16 pm »
And I thought I was special.. ;(
To Be Or NoT To Be?! ravelizard
 http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com/

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #522 on: August 18, 2012, 02:13:46 pm »
well impressed with the new TF2 co-op mode , Mann Vs Machine

oh now wait, i'm not, i've not been able to actually get into a game in three days, i get 10 mins estimated wait to join server, then when i get to joining the server it's running an older version or it's shut down or it's something or other, what a fucked up release this has been, steam forums are swamped with complaints
STFU and agree with me.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #523 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:50 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread but... need some computer whizz help with iso/img file.

Basically I'm trying to get the old SimCity 4 game on the go again, had it when it came out but haven't played it in yonks and for nostalgia sake thought I give it go, fuck knows where the old game disc and bx have gone so I got the torrent. Now the problem comes when I'm mounting CD2 (which is a .img file), I'm using Daemon tools lite btw, CD1 is fine (a .mdf file) mounts and I can get through the install till it prompts me to insert CD2, so I go to mount it yet it appears that Dameon tools doesn't recognise it as a file its compatible .. it doesn't display the little Daemon tools icon next to the file either like it does with CD1.

Any ideas, as I'm shit with computers cheers.

EDIT: I read that DT doesnt support .img anymore, yet I downloaded another piece of software that does and it wouldn't work either. My brother has successfully installed the same torrent download so I know its not the files.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:53:09 pm by OneTouchFooty »

Online TheFooFighter

• Kopite
  • Where's the gin
« Reply #524 on: August 19, 2012, 09:46:54 pm »
Not sure if this is the right thread but... need some computer whizz help with iso/img file.

Basically I'm trying to get the old SimCity 4 game on the go again, had it when it came out but haven't played it in yonks and for nostalgia sake thought I give it go, fuck knows where the old game disc and bx have gone so I got the torrent. Now the problem comes when I'm mounting CD2 (which is a .img file), I'm using Daemon tools lite btw, CD1 is fine (a .mdf file) mounts and I can get through the install till it prompts me to insert CD2, so I go to mount it yet it appears that Dameon tools doesn't recognise it as a file its compatible .. it doesn't display the little Daemon tools icon next to the file either like it does with CD1.

EDIT: I read that DT doesnt support .img anymore, yet I downloaded another piece of software that does and it wouldn't work either. My brother has successfully installed the same torrent download so I know its not the files.

Try using ImgBurn (freeware) to burn the image to a DVD and see what success that brings. Just checked and that does support .img files so it might help you out!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: August 20, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »
got my beta access tonight for the new steam layout, it's quite nice, not radically different but nice, i'm most looking forward to when they launch the TV version of steam
STFU and agree with me.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #526 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:03 pm »
Couldnt find a relevant thread for this so just thought id hijack this one quickly.

My nephew bought this PC --> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIBOX-GT-X-AMD-BULLDOZER-FX-QUAD-CORE-ATI-HD-5450-1TB-8GB-RAM-GAMING-COMPUTER-PC-/200713546565?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopPCs&hash=item2ebb75ab45  off ebay and didnt realise it does come with an OS. Will the PC require windows 7 x32 or x64?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: August 21, 2012, 10:59:42 pm »
it will take either 32 or 64 bit, with the 8 gig or ram though you have to got 64bit or your wasting half of it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #528 on: August 21, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
if you are buying windows 7 it comes with both 32 and 64 bit discs
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #529 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:08 am »
Have played a few games recently: Legend of Grimrock I started a thread about it here. Of the ones I've played recently its the pick - very cheap for what you get in terms of game play. Fantastic, well constructed game.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent - am only about an hour or so into this but in terms of horror games its probably the scariest one I've ever played, its just flat out creepy (don't know how I'll rate it when I finish it, probably even scarier). You will require a good set of headphones to get the most out of it. If you are into horror games its a must.

The Witcher 2 - I really like it for what it is - but to be honest I really hate the way games have gone in terms of too many cut scenes, too many controls/buttons etc, and this game is exactly that. It's a superbly made game, with a great story, but its much more like an intereactive movie more than anything else. I would recommend it if you are into RPG's and come from a console background, but yeah, those things above are serious short-comings for me. Also have an issue with the save points in the game. I've rewatched the same 12 minute cut scene 5 times now because I couldn't save, and the segment I have to get through requires pressing buttons in an exact sequence with a time requirement of split seconds. Press the wrong button once or be out by a tenth of a second and you are toast. Recue the same cut scene.

Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #530 on: August 22, 2012, 08:20:19 am »
When is Walking Dead episode three coming out?? I've been waiting all August and they said it would be out mid August - and no-one seems to know anything else. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline jeffthorn

• Main Stander
« Reply #531 on: August 22, 2012, 10:08:43 am »
Consoles vs PC gaming - who wins the head to head?
Liverpool & Oxford Utd are my passion.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #532 on: August 22, 2012, 10:58:28 am »
I don't think there is a winner. Consoles make life easier (most of the time). You put the disc in and play. PC gaming is much more "complicated" but gives you more options in terms of input devices and better graphics. However, it is also more expensive (due to computers having a shorter life-span). On the negative side console-games are more expensive, the consoles themselves can be a pain in the arse (RROD ;)) and you can't do much more with them other than play, watch movies or listen to music. Surfing the web, writing something or doing some work in photoshop are better suited to a computer. So, in my view it depends on what you want or how you've been brought up. I'm a computer-guy myself, even though I own an Xbox. Don't use it anymore, because it RRODed. And that's another thing that's an advantage PCs have. You can quite easily fix them, if something is broken...

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #533 on: August 23, 2012, 03:27:01 am »
Heads up to anyone who's a Mechwarrior/Battletech fan, the new Mechwarrior game has announced their Founders Program will have a cutoff date of September 6th. If you like the series, this game's shaping up to be a decent successor and you should definitely give it a try.

The game is in private closed beta atm which only allows entry via a small lottery, but if you purchase a Founder's Package, you get access immediately.

Been playing for more than a month, plenty of people all over the world on it and its great fun. Would be awesome if we had enough to get a RAWK team going.

Can read up more about it here:

http://infinitegamepublishing.us4.list-manage.com/track/click?u=ab08b1e44d32f493373bb01cc&id=11c83ee8ae&e=a73c656c6a
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #534 on: August 24, 2012, 06:12:15 pm »
Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is out. My console playing friends swear by this game. I hear it is on a shitty port and capped at 30fps. Still worth getting and trying out.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #535 on: August 24, 2012, 06:16:22 pm »
Dark Souls - Prepare to Die is out. My console playing friends swear by this game. I hear it is on a shitty port and capped at 30fps. Still worth getting and trying out.
Someone's made a mod so you can set the resolution to whatever you like (properly, no upscaling). No 30fps fix yet though I don't think.

Latest version - some people have reported bugs with this so you may want to use v0.2 or v0.1.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: August 24, 2012, 08:42:23 pm »
Playing Darksiders II the last few days and i have to say i'm hooked. You can clearly see the game play is taken from various other games and it was made for a console but it's a lot of fun none the less. I especially like the bosses.

Worth the money if you have nothing better to play. It's also very long!

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: August 25, 2012, 01:34:47 pm »
For anyone that has Civ 5, the expansion is Ł6 here:

http://gamerkeys.net/Civilization-V-Gods-and-Kings-CD-KEY.htm

and the general consensus is that it's a legit site, bargain! I kinda feel sick that I paid Ł20 for it a couple of weeks ago.

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #538 on: August 28, 2012, 12:18:57 am »

Try changing the filename extension to .iso?  http://forum.daemon-tools.cc/f16/img-files-support-rename-img-iso-2900/
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: August 28, 2012, 12:28:18 am »
For anyone that has Civ 5, the expansion is Ł6 here:

http://gamerkeys.net/Civilization-V-Gods-and-Kings-CD-KEY.htm

and the general consensus is that it's a legit site, bargain! I kinda feel sick that I paid Ł20 for it a couple of weeks ago.

Gamerkeys is a bit dodgy:  They're selling Russian licenses.  http://www.gamepodunk.com/_/analysis-opinions/always-do-your-research-what-you-dont-know-about-indie-bundles-might-hurt-you-r296
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

Offline Megasuperb

• really would look good without that pattern
  • Legacy Fan
  • Diet Water Please
« Reply #540 on: August 28, 2012, 06:33:50 am »
Likewise, got one as well.

Also if anyone wants it. Pretty much everyone i know has it.

Oh, well I'll take it if you or anyone else still has it. It'll just be another game on my backlog, but at 75% off it's worth it.

Steam = Megasuperb
Quote from: Mohammad Shahrul
We are going to bully them today. We are a big club. We are Liverpool
for God sake and we are marching to Wembley. The shit club like
Villa is just a sex slave for The Mighty Reds' lust.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #541 on: August 30, 2012, 06:10:48 pm »
Fed up with hacking scum in Black ops??

found this guy https://twitter.com/pcdev
Just give him the steam profile URL of the alleged hacker and if he's hacking hes gone........
JFT 96

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • op.23. Thanks for everything Rafa
« Reply #542 on: August 30, 2012, 11:13:11 pm »
I need a 2TB internal hard drive for storage, files, pictures and the like.

I'm thinking of getting it from amazon or overclockers. Figuring in the postage needed for it to be sent to Malta I'd still get a 2TB €30 cheaper than a 1TB with lower spindle speeds and higher power consumption from over here. So it would be worth it. However, I'm a little bit worried about the mechanical parts in the drive and their fragility. Most of the drives I'm looking at are OEM which do not include to retail boxes and manuals.

Did anyone ever get an OEM hard-drive from any of these two ? How's their packaging ? Would the drive survive the trip across Europe ?

Thanks for any help.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline RideTheWalrus

• Legacy Fan
  • Urge to kill rising...
« Reply #543 on: August 31, 2012, 11:14:24 am »
War of the Roses looks fun, if a bit unbalanced.

huh Gotham City Imposters F2P now. Was an okay game, bit TF2-ish in how it plays
Pretty happy with Arse taking it.

Disappointing.
[/quote]

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: August 31, 2012, 04:37:15 pm »
Regarding the hard drive. I trawled a little on the amazon forums and what I found was that their packaging was awful and most arrived dead or making grinding noises.

The complaints stopped at around midway 2010 though. Don't know what's changed since then.
"We gave the fans the pride. Again. We fight for the fans, we fight for the club and we fight for our players. Maybe he cannot understand this." ~ Rafa Benitez

Offline cim-pim-param

• Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #545 on: August 31, 2012, 08:02:43 pm »
Somethings happening to my gpu, dont know what it is but lets say after i turn my pc on, and play something for an hour, the temperature of gpu starts going down which makes fps go down. I can easily fix this by restarting pc, but tired of restarting...
Going to try beta drivers and see if that helps. My gpu is gtx 560.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:54 pm »
the temp goes down?
STFU and agree with me.

Offline cim-pim-param

• Legacy Fan
  • woOt
« Reply #547 on: August 31, 2012, 08:55:33 pm »
Ye, idle mode is 28c, but when  I start playing something usually its on 52c, but now after a while it goes to 32c and stays there until I close the game. Just did a test with a second monitor, and usually when I have second monitor on, the temp goes up to 42c, but now stays at 32c, strange..
I know if i'll do a pc rr it will fix itself, but im wondering whats causing this.. Not much info on internet about it, nvidia forums seem to be closed.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:57:33 pm by cim-pim-param »

Offline LFC_Top_Luca

• Anny Roader
  • You'll never walk alone
« Reply #548 on: September 1, 2012, 12:05:21 am »
When is Walking Dead episode three coming out?? I've been waiting all August and they said it would be out mid August - and no-one seems to know anything else. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH.
I Believe it came out
http://twitter.com/#!/LFCTopLuca
______♥♥♥_____♥♥♥_____
____♥_____♥_♥_____♥___
____♥______♥______♥___
____♥___Liverpool__♥___
______♥________♥_____
________♥____♥_______
__________ ♥__________
Xbox Live Gamertag : TopLuca

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #549 on: September 2, 2012, 07:20:14 am »
The complaints stopped at around midway 2010 though. Don't know what's changed since then.

People got smart and stopped buying OEM hard drives from them?

Hard drives look rock solid, but their components have micro fine tolerances.  The analogy 20+ years ago when I was in college, was a human hair resting on a hard drive platter would do to the head what a large fallen tree would do to a speeding car.  I'd imagine the tolerances are even finer these days.

If you're having it shipped long distance, I'd want all the protection I could give it and order a retail package instead.

Offline Prelude no.5

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #550 on: September 2, 2012, 12:34:16 pm »
People got smart and stopped buying OEM hard drives from them?

Hard drives look rock solid, but their components have micro fine tolerances.  The analogy 20+ years ago when I was in college, was a human hair resting on a hard drive platter would do to the head what a large fallen tree would do to a speeding car.  I'd imagine the tolerances are even finer these days.

If you're having it shipped long distance, I'd want all the protection I could give it and order a retail package instead.

I was hoping the complaints stopped because amazon changed their packaging policy.

And I know about the fragility of a hard drive. Just some 7 months ago I had an external fall just some 2 inches, from a small shelf on my desk onto my desk and it went bust with all of it's 2TB content. To have the data recovered it would have cost me some €600. I strapped the next one so there wouldn't be any more mishaps.

The problem with ordering a retail package is that there aren't many around to order, most of them are OEM.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #551 on: September 29, 2012, 09:02:37 am »
Well treyarc have certainly fucked over the Clan based gaming community with Black Ops 2
No dedicated servers that we can rent and admin,No ability to control fuckwits who want to troll.cheat and hack, we just have to rely on 3Arc to do all that for us..
Well we would if anyone, from the clan based community, ever decided to buy the game.
i wont and i dont see many other clan members, no matter what the game style purchasing it  .
http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/blog/2012/09/28/pc-online-security-matchmaking-and-server-intel#comment-44261
JFT 96

Offline Zizou

• zo zon't ze zo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Cool as
« Reply #552 on: September 29, 2012, 11:28:07 am »
The CoD series hasn't given a fuck about PC players in years. Haven't bought one since the farce that was the MW2 hosting/matchmaking shite.

Offline shippers

• The Fat Banana AKA Bicycyle Man!
  • Kopite
« Reply #553 on: September 29, 2012, 11:40:32 am »
I need a 2TB internal hard drive for storage, files, pictures and the like.

I'm thinking of getting it from amazon or overclockers. Figuring in the postage needed for it to be sent to Malta I'd still get a 2TB €30 cheaper than a 1TB with lower spindle speeds and higher power consumption from over here. So it would be worth it. However, I'm a little bit worried about the mechanical parts in the drive and their fragility. Most of the drives I'm looking at are OEM which do not include to retail boxes and manuals.

Did anyone ever get an OEM hard-drive from any of these two ? How's their packaging ? Would the drive survive the trip across Europe ?

Thanks for any help.

I used to buy all my stuff from Overclockers, never had a problem with them

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #554 on: September 29, 2012, 02:58:27 pm »
On previous page I think Prelude 5 was pondering ordering components from Amazon and he got them all fine and working. I order my stuff from OcUK and never had any problems with these either.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline reds9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #555 on: September 30, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
Playing Alan Wake recently, and it is quite awesome. Enjoying every bit of it, from the wonderful graphics, the top-notch voice acting, the story and combat.

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #556 on: September 30, 2012, 06:49:02 pm »
Anyone playing Torchlight 2? Found the first one really hard to get into but this one is so addictive, it's just so well thought out and fun to play.

Offline Valore

• Why Don't You Come On Over
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Help Rafa, help us. Help Rafa... Help Us...
« Reply #557 on: October 1, 2012, 05:53:17 am »
Anyone playing Torchlight 2? Found the first one really hard to get into but this one is so addictive, it's just so well thought out and fun to play.

Had a few friends tell me that already, might have to pick it up soon.

Waiting for the new Xcom game to come out, played the demo and that just got me even more frigging excited. Can't wait.
They beat better teams on the way, won in circumstances when other teams would have surrendered, were given the last rites and pronounced dead at the scene, before grabbing the attendant by the throat on the slab in the morgue, making everyone jump.

- Martin Samuel, after we beat Arsenal 4-2 in the second leg of the CL QF 2007-200

Offline Ben J

• Legacy Fan
  • You Win or You Die
« Reply #558 on: October 1, 2012, 06:22:10 pm »
Had a few friends tell me that already, might have to pick it up soon.

Have a go of the demo if you're curious, it's a good hour or so long and you can try out all the character classes.  It really is a fantastic game, especially when you consider that it's selling for 15 quid.

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
« Reply #559 on: October 1, 2012, 06:25:53 pm »
Well treyarc have certainly fucked over the Clan based gaming community with Black Ops 2
No dedicated servers that we can rent and admin,No ability to control fuckwits who want to troll.cheat and hack, we just have to rely on 3Arc to do all that for us..
Well we would if anyone, from the clan based community, ever decided to buy the game.
i wont and i dont see many other clan members, no matter what the game style purchasing it  .
http://community.callofduty.com/community/call_of_duty/english/black_ops_2/blog/2012/09/28/pc-online-security-matchmaking-and-server-intel#comment-44261

It will still sell like bananas in a monkey-brothel. Consumers/gamers are idiots (and I include myself in that). How big of a fuss was made when Battlefield 3 was coming out using Origin and how many people still bought it? Is Black Ops multiplayer-online or heavily centred on it? If not, I bet the developers won't give two fucks about the people who want dedicated servers...