Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 859975 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #1240 on: November 25, 2011, 12:07:34 am »
Sunderland game was the last for robbie Fowler in his first spell. Taken off early after hamann was sent off. He almost scored a cracker.

Heskey had a blinder that day. His first goal for months. His last til February
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1241 on: November 25, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »
Sick one. 10 years ago i had a pint with my dad. My mate walked in. He is a taxi man. Night before this game he picked up a deaf and dumb guy.

5 Mins into the trip the guy started wanking! !!!!! my mate threw him out. Said the guy was still giving it a good tug as my mate threw him out of the car. He drove off and looked in mirror. The guy was somehow 33% wanking. 33% Fixing his jocks 33% tryna hail down a taxi. Don't ask me about the other 1%

Already too much information!!!!

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1242 on: November 25, 2011, 11:40:08 pm »
November 26th has produced a few games since I started going to the match.

1983: Kenny Dalglish scored a landmark goal (100th League goal for Liverpool????) to earn us a 1 all draw at Ipswich. It was a top class strike by the King.

1985: A TV strike meant this game wasn't televised or highlights shown. We hosted Man Utd in the Milk Cup 4th round at Anfield. Paul McGrath fired them ahead after 7 minutes, and there was no further 1st half scoring. Two Jan Molby goals in 4 2nd half minutes though changed the game. The 1st was a superb individual run which ended with a thunderbolt past Gary Bailey, before he then converted a penalty on the hour to put us through. Wins against United were rare at the time so this was celebrated big time by the bulk of the 41,056 lucky enough to witness it.

1988: Ray Houghton put us ahead at home to Wimbledon, only for a Steve Nicol og to level the score late on. Does anyone remember Cilla Black on the pitch before the game unsuccessfully trying to get the Kop to sing the chorus of 'We Are Family' by Sister Sledge for a TV programme?

1989. A typical Steve McMahon long range effort, and a stunning free kick for John Barnes enabled us to beat Arsenal 2-1 at Anfield. Michael Thomas replied for the Gooners with a goal which thankfully wasn't as significant as his previous Anfield goal.

1994: Another costly own goal. This time it was Neil Ruddock who inadvertantly earned Spurs a 1-1 draw at Anfield after we'd taken a 1st half lead.

2000: Our 3rd away League defeat on the bounce. Emile Heskey scored at Newcastle, but the Barcodes scored twice to claim the spoils.

2005: John Arne Riise scores the only goal of the game away to Man City. This was our 6th successive clean sheet, and a further 4 would follow before our defence was finally breached in the World Club Cup Final.

2008: A 1st half Steven Gerrard header beat Marseille at Anfield to book our CL knockout stage place with a game to spare. It wasn't a particularly memorable game, but the next CL game at Anfield certainly would be.

I'll leave you now with the RAWK Time Team presenters!!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1243 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:36 am »
26th November 1966 : West Bromwich Albion 2 Liverpool 1

Our 4th away defeat in the League (from 10 matches) sees our faint hopes of retaining the title diminish even further as we slip back to fourth place in the table.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1244 on: November 26, 2011, 12:01:05 am »
26th November 1969 : Liverpool 3 Vitoria Setubal

Two goals in the last three minutes aren’t enough to keep us in Europe. Roger Hunt scores the last of his 286 Liverpool goals. Much of the crowd stays after the final whistle … expecting extra-time. It takes a tannoy announcement to convince them that we are out on the “away goals” rule, a big disappointment after leaving the same competition the previous season on the “toss of a coin” rule!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1245 on: November 26, 2011, 12:01:35 am »
26th November 1975 : Slask Wroclaw 1 Liverpool 2

The club’s first competitive match in Poland. I remember that it was an afternoon match, about which I was trying to keep updated via a radio at work. I also remember that the playing-conditions were not just very cold but also treacherous underfoot.  Somehow we manage to return with a crucial first-leg lead thanks to Ray Kennedy’s third European goal of the season and John Toshack’s fifth.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1246 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:12 am »
26th November 1977 : Leicester City 0 Liverpool 4

We batter Leicester in front of their own fans slightly more than a year after beating them by four goals at Anfield. It is our biggest-ever victory at Filbert Street since we first played them there in 1895! We move up one place in the table to 5th on the same day that Nottingham Forest play the first of forty-two consecutive First Division matches without defeat by drawing at home to West Bromwich Albion.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1247 on: November 26, 2011, 12:02:48 am »
26th November 1983 : Ipswich Town 1 Liverpool 1

I have an excellent view from the side of Kenny Dalglish scoring his one hundredth First Division goal. It comes just a couple of minutes after future Liverpool target John Wark makes a typical burst from midfield and calmly slips the ball past Bruce Grobbelaar.

Goals here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGHOh6G4qyo#t=139s

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1248 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:04 am »
26th November 1985 : Liverpool 2 Manchester United 1

A sweet cup victory over our bitter rivals that takes away some of the pain of them beating us in the F.A. cup semi-final earlier in the calendar year. The match is remembered for an astonishing goal from Jan Mølby that few supporters ever saw until quite recently when big Jan finally got round to retrieving a tape of the match from his loft. For all those who have never seen it and for those who were there who have never seen it since, I bring you Jan Mølby’s wonder goal :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8zxeHxzeRo&feature=related

And Jan’s comments about it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=rAcO_TpndUo

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1249 on: November 26, 2011, 12:04:34 am »
26th November 1986 : Liverpool 3 Coventry City 1

Jan Mølby writes himself into the record-books by scoring three penalties in the same match. The Dane’s penalty record was superb. He missed only three out of forty-five spot-kicks for Liverpool, a success rate of 93%. At the time of this cup-tie against Coventry, he had scored with his previous nine penalty-kicks. So it wasn’t really a surprise that he tucked these three away too.

This was apparently the first Liverpool match that Steven Gerrard remembers attending.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1250 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:09 am »
26th November 1988 : Liverpool 1 Wimbledon 1

Two unnecessarily lost points that will have a severe impact at the end of the season. Shortly before the end of this match, with the team holding on to the lead given by Ray Houghton twenty minutes earlier, Steve Nicol slices the ball into his own net at the Anfield Road end and Wimbledon avoid defeat at our stadium for the second time in three seasons.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1251 on: November 26, 2011, 12:05:38 am »
26th November 1989 : Liverpool 2 Arsenal 1

Revenge for the 26th of May 1989 ? Not really. The only way that memory can be erased is by doing the same to them on their own ground. This was just an important win against opponents who often caused us problems home or away. John Barnes scores a wonderful goal direct from a free-kick in the second half.

Action from 7 minutes 42 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-39k9KBhG-A&feature=related

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1252 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:16 am »
26th November 1994 : Liverpool 1 Tottenham Hotspur 1

Robbie Fowler scores his 17th club goal of a season that will bring him 31 in all competitions. It is his second successful penalty against Spurs after scoring against them from the spot in a 3-3 draw at White Hart Lane in the previous season. Former Tottenham defender Neil Ruddock did his old club a favour when a cross from the left hit his shin and bounced past David James into the net.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1253 on: November 26, 2011, 12:06:52 am »
26th November 2000 : Newcastle United 2 Liverpool 1

It is our fifth away defeat from the eight League matches played so far. With Djimi Traore and Christian Ziege out injured, Gerard Houllier plays Jamie Carragher in an unfamiliar left-back role. Steve Staunton has more experience in that position than the 22-year-old Carragher but isn’t even named in the match-day squad. The manager’s decision backfires. By the time Emile Heskey gives us hope with his 9th League goal of the season, we are already two down. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1254 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:39 am »
26th November 2005 : Manchester City 0 Liverpool 1

Jon Arne Riise, in his 150th Premier League match, scores our winner with a typically fierce shot (57 seconds on this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkkGUWmOwCc&feature=related).

The club has never before kept 9 clean sheets in the opening dozen matches of a League campaign; and the run of 6 matches without defeat is the best so far for Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez. He will keep this unbeaten run going until the second half of December.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1255 on: November 26, 2011, 12:08:16 am »
26th November 2008 : Liverpool 1 Marseille 0

Steven Gerrard has wasted little time in adding to the century of Liverpool goals he brought up against PSV Eindhoven at Anfield eight weeks earlier. His goal this evening is his 104th in all competitions for the club and his 30th in Europe. This win ensures that we will qualify out of Champions League Group D with a game to spare. It is the 65th time that Rafa Benitez has been in charge of Liverpool for a European competitive match. This takes him equal with Bill Shankly’s (1964-1973) total. 

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1256 on: November 26, 2011, 12:12:16 am »
November 26th has produced a few games since I started going to the match.

1989. A typical Steve McMahon long range effort, and a stunning free kick for John Barnes enabled us to beat Arsenal 2-1 at Anfield. Michael Thomas replied for the Gooners with a goal which thankfully wasn't as significant as his previous Anfield goal.

It was Alan Smith not Michael Thomas who scored for Arsenal.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1257 on: November 26, 2011, 12:14:14 am »
Great work Kriss.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1258 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:11 am »
Great work Kriss.

Thanks, DS. I might struggle to post straight after midnight on Saturday evening because I am undertaking a long journey to go to Brighton v Coventry on Saturday afternoon (the only current Premier League/Football League stadium I have not been to). But I am very keen to be back home in good time because the 27th of November sees the 35th anniversary of the day I knocked on Bill Shankly's door ... and he opened it and invited me in. I'll post the full story sometime on the 27th.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1259 on: November 26, 2011, 12:27:15 am »
Great stuff mate, look forward to reading that!

Offline Rafa_La

• Would give Chopper one by mouth
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool, Did you think we would leave you dying?
« Reply #1260 on: November 26, 2011, 12:39:00 am »
Today In History
November 26th

1960 Sheffield United (Division Two) Anfield 4-2
James Harrower 30' 63' 77' Dave Hickson 55'
Att 39,999

1966 Westbromwich Albion (Division One) The Hawthorns 1-2
Geoff Strong 79'
Att 25,900

1969 Vitoria Setubal (European Fairs Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 3-2
Tommy Smith 60' Alun Evans 88' Roger Hunt 90'
Att 41,633

1975 Slask Wroclaw (UEFA Cup 3erd round 1st leg) Olympijski Stadium 2-1
Ray Kennedy 61' John Toshack 75'
Att 40,000

1977 Leicester City (Division One) Filbert Street 4-0
David Fairclough 18' Steve Heighway 69' Kenny Dalglish 81' Terry McDermott 84'
Att 26,051

1983 Ipswich Town (Division One) Portman Road 1-1
Kenny Dalglish 62'
Att 23,826

1985 Manchester United (Milk Cup 4th Round) Anfield 2-1
Jan Molby 57' 58'(Pen)
Att 41,291

1986 Coventry City (Littlewoods Cup 4th Round Replay) Anfield 3-1
Jan Molby 4' (Pen) 39' (Pen) 72' (Pen)
Att 19,179

1988 Wimbledon (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Ray Houghton 63'
Att 36,188

1989 Arsenal (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Steve McMahon 30' John Barnes 65'
Att 35,983

1994 Tottenham Hotspur (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Robbie Fowler 39'( Pen)
Att 35,007

2000 Newcastle United (Premier League) St James Park 1-2
Emile Heskey 78'
Att 51,949

2005 Manchester City (Premier League) City Of Manchester Stadium) 1-0
John Arne Riise 60'
Att 47,105

2008 Olympique Marseille (UEFA Champions League Group Stage Match 5) Anfield 1-0
Steven Gerrard 23'
Att 40,024

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Trevor Storton (Died 23erd March 2011 aged 61)
Ian Ross (64)

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

OUT

Doug Livermore (1970)

Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1261 on: November 26, 2011, 09:53:51 am »
I went to that Arsenal game back in 89, even as a kid I hated them back then, more than united really who were still an irrelevance to me. Barnes' free kick was brilliant, the other memory from that game was O'Leary getting decked by a volley from Houghton I think.

The Marseille game was an odd one for me. My son was born the night before and he and my wife were still in hospital. I came home from visiting them and watched this in a complete blur. I think they gave us a few late scares but I couldn't get into it at all, just passed me by.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1262 on: November 26, 2011, 12:20:10 pm »
Arsenal in 89 Barnes missed a penalty.

Thankfully I've no stories about people pleasuring themselves today
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1263 on: November 26, 2011, 10:15:13 pm »
I am bending the rules a little this evening to change On this day in LFC History : Personal Memories to

On This day : Personal Memories

On this day (Saturday 26th November 2011) I attended the Championship match between Brighton & Hove Albion and Coventry City ... and in so doing can again say (as I have said on several previous occasions) that I have seen at least one match at every current Premier League and Football League stadium, something I first achieved back in 1975 when many of my visits to a stadium for the first time coincided with Liverpool matches. My total with Brighton today now stands at 148 and that reflects the number of clubs who have relocated in the last 25-30 years as well as non-League clubs now being able to enter the Football League automatically. My original (1975) list of ninety-two clubs bears little comparison to the ninety-two of today. There is a lot of planning in keeping my record alive and there always seems to be another club about to move (next season it will be Rotherham United so them and one more will take me on to a nice round one hundred and fifty). I think it is unlikely that I will ever add Liverpool to my list. I don't think we will move now and even if Anfield IS redeveloped it won't be a new stadium. If a club relocates completely (Arsenal, Sunderland, Manchester City, Brighton), they go on my list of places to get to. But if a ground is completely rebuilt (knocking down all four sides and rebuilding from scratch) like Wolverhampton or Chelsea , that does not constitute a new stadium for me if it is still in the same place.

Ok, sorry to post a non-Liverpool paragraph. I just feel elated at getting up-to-date with the current 92 again!

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1264 on: November 26, 2011, 11:28:16 pm »
Today In History
November 27th

1965 Burnley (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Roger Hunt 40' Gordon Milne 61'
Att 50,282

1971 Westham United (Division One) Anfield 1-0
Emlyn Hughes 69'
Att 43,399

1973 Hull City (League Cup 4th round) Boothferry Park 0-0
Att 19,748

1976 Bristol City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Kevin Keegan 44' Joey Jones 56'
Att 44,323

1982 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Phil Neal 20' (Pen) Kenny Dalglish 49' 78'
Att 40,691

1991 Swarovski Tirol (UEFA Cup 2ed round 1st leg) Tivoli Stadion 2-0
Dean Saunders 57' 78'
Att 12,500

1996 Arsenal (Coca Cola Cup 4th round) Anfield 4-2
Steve McManaman 26' Robbie Fowler 39' (Pen) 52' Patrik Berger 72'
Att 32,814

1999 Westham United (Premier League) Upton Park 0-1
Att 26,043

2003 Steaua Bucharest (UEFA Cup 2ed round 2ed leg) Anfield 1-0
Harry Kewell 48'
Att 42,837

2011 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 1-1
Joleon Lescott 33' O/G
Att 45,071

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Peter Thompson (69)

TRANSFERS ON THIS DAY

IN

Don Hutchison (1990)

DEBUTS ON THIS DAY

Alan Waddle (1973)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:53:59 pm by Rafa_La »
Nunca me bajoneé, mi conciencia estaba tranquila porque sabía cómo habían sido las cosas.
"The reason i never felt depressed is because my conscience was clear, I Knew what had really happened."
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Rafa_La

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1265 on: November 26, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »
I am bending the rules a little this evening to change On this day in LFC History : Personal Memories to

On This day : Personal Memories

Ok, sorry to post a non-Liverpool paragraph. I just feel elated at getting up-to-date with the current 92 again!

Dont be sorry for that!!! This is the VERY essence of what I hoped the thread would bring to light. All of this contributes to loving football AND loving Liverpool.
Well pleased you made the trip and got back to share the occasion.

It's an education for others, kriss. Thank you :champ
Luis Suarez
YNWA

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1266 on: November 26, 2011, 11:54:01 pm »
Congratulations kriss, amazing effort. I think I have made it to a whopping 11 league grounds.

Was my 21st party in the day we lost at West Ham, was either Sinclair or Do Canio who ruined it for me!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1267 on: November 27, 2011, 01:07:06 am »
1973 Hull City (League Cup 4th round) Boothferry Park 0-0
Att 19,748

Another midweek afternoon match during the Power workers’ strike of 1973. My one and only visit to Hull’s old Boothferry Park stadium. Despite the unfriendly kick-off time, I remember a good number of Liverpool supporters being there. Of the match itself, however, I remember nothing.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1268 on: November 27, 2011, 01:09:10 am »
1976 Bristol City (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Kevin Keegan 44' Joey Jones 56'
Att 44,323

A few hours before this match, I nervously walked up Bill Shankly’s drive in Bellefield Avenue, Melwood clutching a copy of his recently-published autobiography under my arm, hoping to get the book signed but not of course knowing if he would be in. I rang the bell and stepped back, hardly daring to breathe. A few seconds later, the door opened and a familiar face peered down at me. I explained why I was there, the door remained open and a familiar voice said “Come on in, son” and he beckoned me inside.

The next hour or so was easily the most extraordinary experience I have ever had as a Liverpool supporter. This man did not know me from Adam yet he invited me into his home without hesitation. He introduced me to his wife, the lovely Nessie of course, and then gestured for me to move into his back living-room. With no thought for the privacy of their retired life which I know I had invaded, Nessie got me something to eat and drink while Bill and I talked; or rather he talked and I listened because that was how it worked. Thirty-five years later, I have almost no recollection of what we talked about. I probably had a thousand questions waiting to be asked but I hadn’t prepared anything because frankly I had not expected to get this far anyway.

I was a complete stranger but this kind and humble man treated me like a king. Yet still I felt like a commoner in the presence of royalty and football royalty he most certainly was. I could see that in the awards that were in different cabinets around the room. But he wasn’t showing them off. He had earned them so why shouldn’t they be on display ?  He did a regular local radio programme post-retirement and it was being broadcast as we sat. He enthused to me about Denis Law. He certainly asked me a lot more than I asked him. I was tongue-tied and very star-struck but he talked as if he had known me all my life. He sensed my unease and he (well, both of them) made it clear that my visit had not been an intrusion and that I was most welcome in their home.

An hour went by. The door-bell rang again. Family had arrived and I knew it was time to move on. There was never a question that I should go because someone else had arrived. But I had a match to see and I needed to be making my way to Anfield for that. Bill signed the book, of course he did. It is one of my most treasured possessions. He shook my hand firmly for a second time, thanked me for calling and showed me to his front door. I walked out into the hazy sunshine of a late-autumn afternoon with my mind still whirling. Had that really just happened ? Why hadn’t I asked him about ….. ? But ultimately I had no regrets because I knew how lucky I had been and how privileged I was to have spent an hour in the company of such an extraordinary human being.

As for the match, I only remember Joey Jones striking a long-range shot into the Anfield Road goal and then running back towards the Kop with his arms outstretched and a manic smile upon his face. I was smiling too, not just at what turned out to be the winning goal but because I knew it was already a remarkable day that I would never, ever forget.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1269 on: November 27, 2011, 01:10:21 am »
1982 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) Anfield 3-0
Phil Neal 20' (Pen) Kenny Dalglish 49' 78'
Att 40,691

Our 8th successive win in all competitions and yet another pointless visit to Anfield for Spurs. Ray Clemence’s second return to Anfield after moving to London the previous year. Clem might have known Phil Neal well but he was unable to stop his former team-mate from placing a penalty-kick past his left-hand side. Kenny Dalglish scores the 6th and 7th of his 8 goals against Tottenham.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1270 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:36 am »
1991 Swarovski Tirol (UEFA Cup 3rd round 1st leg) Tivoli Stadion 2-0
Dean Saunders 57' 78'
Att 12,500

Our UEFA cup adventure moves on to Innsbruck where Dean Saunders, scorer of four goals against Kuusysi Lahti in the first round but not selected for either match against Auxerre in the second round, scores twice in the second half to give us a clear advantage for the home leg. It will be the Austrian club’s last European tie as they will be dissolved in 1992 to re-emerge as FC Wacker Innsbruck then later FC Tirol Innsbruck.

The referee is Sweden’s Erik Fredriksson who, during a World Cup match between the USSR and Argentina the previous year, had failed to spot Diego Maradona punch a goal-bound effort off the line in a group game the Russians lost 2-0 (it was 0-0 at the time of that incident).

After the match, Graeme Souness denies that Liverpool have been in touch with Nottingham Forest regarding a possible swap-deal involving Saunders and Forest’s Roy Keane. Saunders himself declares "The two goals tonight will answer my critics. If they have been watching, that will wipe the smile off their faces. I have been under a lot of pressure and it has been a difficult time but I have tried to keep faith in my own ability.”

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1271 on: November 27, 2011, 01:12:49 am »
Att 32,814

Robbie Fowler continues his hot scoring streak against the Gunners. This evening sees the 8th & 9th of the 12 Liverpool goals he will score against them. Roy Evans makes three changes from the team that started against Wimbledon at the weekend; Babb, McManaman and Berger come in for Matteo, Redknapp and Collymore.

Dennis Bergkamp, a player defenders always have to watch carefully, takes part in the pre-match warm-up but has to vacate his place in Arsenal’s team to John Hartson because of a recurrence of a thigh injury. That is a boost for us, as is the dismissal of Steve Bould who receives yellow cards for tackles from behind on Fowler and McManaman. 

Patrik Berger wraps up our progress to the next round with a perfectly-placed left-foot drive past John Lukic (from 32 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSS4ONdOrqM

Robbie Fowler’s two goals from 4 minutes 47 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkyGyBRd1U&feature=related

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1272 on: November 27, 2011, 01:14:32 am »
27th November 1999 : West Ham United 1 Liverpool 0

Michael Owen endures a torrid afternoon in east London, the culmination of which is a booking he receives from referee Graham Barber for ‘diving’  after a clash with Neil Ruddock. Owen also has a goal wrongly disallowed early in the second half before being substituted after falling awkwardly. This is our 3rd successive defeat at Upton Park.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1273 on: November 27, 2011, 01:15:48 am »
27th November 2003 : Liverpool 1 Steaua Bucharest 0

A tedious match is settled by Harry Kewell’s header :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNN7Jb91MRU&feature=fvsr

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1274 on: November 27, 2011, 01:35:14 am »
Congratulations kriss, amazing effort. I think I have made it to a whopping 11 league grounds.

Was my 21st party in the day we lost at West Ham, was either Sinclair or Do Canio who ruined it for me!

Well remembered, Nick. It was indeed Trevor Sinclair. My own 21st birthday coincided with the home defeat by Red Star Belgrade in 1973.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1275 on: November 27, 2011, 09:41:35 am »
It was Alan Smith not Michael Thomas who scored for Arsenal.

I stand corrected. I knew it was one Arsenal player who'd damaged us 6 months earlier!!

I see I missed out the Coventry replay. Not sure why as it's the only game I recall us scoring 3 penalties. Wasn't convinced about the award of at least one of them, but big Jan took them well, as he would do again in a League match against the same opposition 3 days later.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1276 on: November 27, 2011, 09:47:16 am »
Att 32,814

Robbie Fowler continues his hot scoring streak against the Gunners. This evening sees the 8th & 9th of the 12 Liverpool goals he will score against them. Roy Evans makes three changes from the team that started against Wimbledon at the weekend; Babb, McManaman and Berger come in for Matteo, Redknapp and Collymore.

Dennis Bergkamp, a player defenders always have to watch carefully, takes part in the pre-match warm-up but has to vacate his place in Arsenal’s team to John Hartson because of a recurrence of a thigh injury. That is a boost for us, as is the dismissal of Steve Bould who receives yellow cards for tackles from behind on Fowler and McManaman. 

Patrik Berger wraps up our progress to the next round with a perfectly-placed left-foot drive past John Lukic (from 32 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSS4ONdOrqM

Robbie Fowler’s two goals from 4 minutes 47 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkyGyBRd1U&feature=related

We played really well that night. Arsenal went ahead through a ridiculous penalty after Hartson dived, although their 2nd penalty was more obvious. To be fair to the ref he levelled things up with a harsh penalty that enabled Fowler to put us 2-1 in front. My main memory that night was McManaman scoring with a header. Not something I recall happening too often.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1277 on: November 27, 2011, 09:51:07 am »
27th November 2003 : Liverpool 1 Steaua Bucharest 0

A tedious match is settled by Harry Kewell’s header :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNN7Jb91MRU&feature=fvsr

We were fortunate to win that night. Steaua were the better team for much of the game, and could have had a penalty when it was still goalless. Good header from Kewell, but a much more spectacular one would come in the next game against Birmingham.

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1278 on: November 27, 2011, 09:54:54 am »
Well remembered, Nick. It was indeed Trevor Sinclair. My own 21st birthday coincided with the home defeat by Red Star Belgrade in 1973.

belter of a goal by Chris Lawler,think he  scored in both legs
We'll See Things They'll Never See

Offline john_mac

• The Scouse Confucius
  • Legacy Fan
  • Only got 3 bullets and there's 4 of Motley Crew
« Reply #1279 on: November 27, 2011, 10:05:09 am »
1991 Swarovski Tirol (UEFA Cup 3rd round 1st leg) Tivoli Stadion 2-0
Dean Saunders 57' 78'
Att 12,500

was a boss trip. Got a flight to Munich before jumping a train to Innsbruck. Typical me, trying to bunk the train got collared by a guard before we'd even got out of Munich station, get to the Austrian border and another guard gets on and charges us again, ends up costing 5 times as much as if I'd just paid in Munich in the first place! Got a lift back after the game.

Was fucken freezing, hid a load of ale before the game (it wasn't cheap), when we went back to get them, half of them were frozen!

Still. sound little paddock-like terrace at the side of the pitch, bout a thousand reds, boss trip (you can't beat Munich) and a good win, not that many of them under Souness!
We'll See Things They'll Never See