Author Topic: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories  (Read 859973 times)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: On this day in LFC History: Personal Memories
« Reply #1200 on: November 23, 2011, 12:02:37 am »
2000 Olympiacos (UEFA Cup 3rd round 1st leg) Olympiako Stadio 2-2
Nick Barmby 38' Steven Gerrard 67'
Att 43,855

We get a good score-draw in Athens but there is frustration at conceding a last-minute goal to Alexandris, his second of the match. Both Barmby and Staunton hit the bar in the second half and Smicer hits a post when through one-on-one with the host’s ‘keeper. Here are brief highlights : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rijyjztgws0

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1201 on: November 23, 2011, 12:03:37 am »
2002 Fulham (Premier League) Loftus Road 2-3
Dietmar Hamann 62' Milan Baros 86'
Att 18,144

The first of the two occasions we will play Fulham at Loftus Road while Craven Cottage is being renovated. Didi Hamann scores from a free-kick that flies past Edwin van der Sar like a missile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2-K_eaqviU!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1202 on: November 23, 2011, 12:04:44 am »
2004 AS Monaco (Champions League Group Stage Match 5) Stade Louis 11 0-1
Att 15,000

Luis Garcia is stretchered off after only two minutes, to be replaced by Josemi. The early substitute is later stretchered off himself. To add insult to injury, Javier Saviola definitely handles the ball before driving it past Kirkland for the game’s only goal. With Olympiacos defeating Deportivo La Coruña, our path out of Group A now rests on our final match, at home to the Greeks in a fortnight’s time.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1203 on: November 23, 2011, 12:06:57 am »
2005 Real Betis (Champions League Group Stage Match 5) Anfield 0-0
Att 42,077

This draw ensures that we have qualified for the knock-out stage of the Champions League with a game to spare. The final group match at Chelsea will determine which of the English clubs tops the group. Against Betis, Peter Crouch is still searching for his first Liverpool goal and can count himself unlucky not to get it. Benitez decides to partner Crouch with Morientes but it doesn’t really work and both are eventually substituted.

This was one of very few occasions over the years when I went to the away game but not the home game. I watched this home game in a local pub, something I rarely do because I always seem to get agitated at the anti-Liverpool comments that inevitably come from other customers. There were a few other Reds in the bar where this match was being shown but most of them were grumbling as time passed and the goals didn’t go in. It’s one reason why I usually watch matches on my own now instead of sharing the experience with others. I can grumble on my own without bothering anyone else!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1204 on: November 23, 2011, 12:09:25 am »
Slipped up again, I'll either have to stop posting on this thread or start doing research. Debrecen 24th I take it?

The away match with Debrecen was played on the 24th of November Yes.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1205 on: November 23, 2011, 12:46:52 am »
1963 Manchester United (Old Trafford) 1-0
Ron Yeats 75'
Att 54,654

A third successive League win. Ron Yeats scores the first of his sixteen competitive first-team goals for Liverpool. The skipper's goal takes us to the top of the First Division for the first time since 1947!

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1206 on: November 23, 2011, 12:59:16 am »
1968 Coventry City (Division One ) Anfield 2-0
Geoff Strong 36' Ian Callaghan 83'
Att 44,820

We consolidate our position at the top of the table. It is our 10th home First Division match of the season. Only Everton so far have avoided defeat. Geoff Strong scores his 2nd League goal of the season; for Ian Callaghan it is the 6th.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1207 on: November 23, 2011, 01:08:03 am »
1974 Westham United (Division One) Anfield 1-1
Tommy Smith 12'
Att 46,348

Tommy Smith's 20-yarder with his left foot  flew in like a rocket past Mervyn Day in the West Ham goal (3 minutes 42 seconds on this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNm-kQwJuk).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:09:53 am by kriss »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #1208 on: November 23, 2011, 07:34:33 am »
Att 15,000

Main memories from this trip are how nice Nice was and how ordinary Monaco looked. Stayed in a strange hotel in Nice - when you got in the lift to go up to the rooms, the doors closed to reveal that the lift was done out inside like a space rocket. Then instead of going up straight away, a Nasa style voice counted down from "T-Minus 10, 9, 8....etc...We have lift-off", then the lift went up!

On the day of the game, we sat outside a bar with the lads who had started the Ring of Fire chant on their coach, so we "de de de de de der der der-ered" our way through the pre-match pints and couldn't get the song out of our heads for days. The match itself was fairly unforgettable, except for a big punch up that broke out just in front of us in our end. All good fun.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1209 on: November 23, 2011, 08:36:20 am »
Att 15,000

Luis Garcia is stretchered off after only two minutes, to be replaced by Josemi. The early substitute is later stretchered off himself. To add insult to injury, Javier Saviola definitely handles the ball before driving it past Kirkland for the game’s only goal. With Olympiacos defeating Deportivo La Coruña, our path out of Group A now rests on our final match, at home to the Greeks in a fortnight’s time.

Sounds ominous. I don't fancy our chances.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #1210 on: November 23, 2011, 10:24:41 am »
1991- was played at Selhurst park as Wimbledon had moved from Plough Lane. I think Ronnie Rosenthal broke his leg in this match.

1992- as discussed before, John Barnes returns from a long injury and sets up the winning goal 3 minutes from time for Rosenthal.

1996- Wimbledon were very much a jinx team that always seemed to bring out the worst, despite an early goal they level it up. Neil sullivan nearly throws it away when he dropped a shot behind himself under no pressure somehow. He recovers to stop the ball on the line.

2000- I was bloody raging this day as my sister was selling her house. plan was to build next door to it and me and my brother would buy her old home. we were to meet with a bank manager that day only no one bothered to tell me! when i rang people raging no one had bothered their backside to talk to me all i got was "well are you going or what?" FUCK OFF FAMILY

2002- the midst of a very poor run of results, Facundo Sava scored a hattrick for Fulham, one after Dudek spilled a shot from Sean Davis, one a deflected second and the other after slack defending. Didi Hamann scored a rocket briefly getting it back to 1-2 and late on Milan Baros took his goal well for 2-3, can remember posting on .tv that night that the last time before this we had lost 3-2 at Loftus Road we went on to win the league, ever the optimist, but our run of form was poor and went on too long, so long we didnt even make the champions league

2004 was a defeat to Monaco, Im nearly sure Rafa claimed he spoke to the referee after the game and asked why he allowed a blatant handball for their goal from Javier Saviola, Rafa claimed the referee laughed in his face. Sami Hyypia is denied a goal at the death when his header is saved on the line with him and Hamann both claiming it crossed the line although this appeared the act of desperate men.

2005 was an unconvincing draw with Betis who were struggling in the spanish league but the draw puts us through to the last 16, also kicks off a sorry run of 5 games without scoring in the champions league (excl qualifiers)

2009 is incorrect as it as the day i signed for my house. the next day we played Debrecen

yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1211 on: November 23, 2011, 11:31:12 pm »
For November 24th I'm going to play safe and stick with games that I know were definitely that date. This may mean missing the odd one, but it's better than being 24 hours ahead!! As usual, it's since I started going to games.

1984: Two goals from John Wark sunk his former club Ipswich at Anfield. Amazingly it was our 1st Saturday home win of the season as our previous Saturday home fixtures had produced 4 draws and 2 defeats. Our only other home League win had been against West Ham on the August Bank Holiday Monday when Wark also scored twice in addition to Paul Walsh netting after 14 seconds.

1987: Struggling Watford were taken to the cleaners as the Reds produced an emphatic 2nd half display following a dismal 1st half. Steve McMahon opened the scoring, a defelected Ray Houghton effort made it 2, John Aldridge headed the 3rd, and a superb long range effort from John Barnes completed the misery for his former club. This was our 4th 4-0 home win of the season, and another 2 would follow over the festive period before the 5 goal demolition of Forest in April.

1990: Only the 2nd League game of the season that we failed to win as Manchester City shared 4 goals with us at Anfield, all the goals coming after half time. Mark Ward converted a penalty, but goals from Ian Rush and Ronny Rosenthal turned the game round. Niall Quinn headed home an injury time corner to give City a richly deserved point.

1998: Normal service was resumed after the win at Villa with a 3-1 defeat away to Celta Vigo in the UEFA Cup 3rd round 1st leg. Despite taking an early lead through Michael Owen, the Reds were well beaten by an impressive Spanish side who were lead by the mecurial talents of Russian Alexandra Mostovoy. The return at Anfield would also end in defeat despite an impressive full debut by a teenager called Steven Gerrard. Whatever became of him?

2007: This is what became of him! A magnificent Steven Gerrard free kick was the main highlight of a 3-0 win at Newcastle where a lot of the talking points occurred off the pitch. Big Sam copped a load of abuse from some angry Barcode fans for a 2nd half substitution he made, while Rafa wore jeans on the touchline. Rafa's pre match press conference was also bizzare as he answered every question with "I'm totally focused on coaching my team!", a reference to a comment Tom Hicks had made earlier in the week suggesting what Rafa should be doing when Rafa expressed his feelings about the lack of support he was getting from the cowboys.

Over to Rafa La and Kriss.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1212 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:01 pm »
Rafa_La has asked me to post this list of November 24th matches, which does at least give me an opportunity to check my own list before posting anything myself!

Today In History
November 24th

1962 Birmingham City (DivisionOne) St Andrews 2-0
Roger Hunt 62' 67'
Att 27,050

1973 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 2-2
Larry Lloyd 26' John Toshack 75'
Att 26,254

1979 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-0
Att 55,561

1984 Ipswich Town (Division One) Anfield 2-0
John Wark 41' 53'
Att 34,918

1987 Watford (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Steve McMahon 54' Ray Houghton 64' John Aldridge 68' John Barnes 71'
Att 32,396

1990 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Ian Rush 82' Ronny Rosenthal 86'
Att 37,849

1998 Celta Vigo (UEFA Cup 3erd Round 1st Leg) Estadio Balaidos 1-3
Michael Owen 35'
Att 32,000

2007 Newcastle United (Premier League) St James Park 3-0
Steven Gerrard 28' Dirk Kuyt 46' Ryan Babel 66'
Att 52,307

2009 Debrecen VSC (Champions League Group Stage Match 5) Puskas Ferenc Stadium 1-0
David Ngog 4'
Att 41,500

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1213 on: November 23, 2011, 11:57:43 pm »
1962 Birmingham City (DivisionOne) St Andrews 2-0
Roger Hunt 62' 67'
Att 27,050

This is our 19th (out of 42) League match of 1962-63 so we are approaching the half-way point of our first season back in the top division. But this is only our 7th victory and just the first away from home. But we are on a good run as November ends. This is our third win in a row, a winning run that will extend to eight including one F.A. cup-tie. Roger Hunt continues to prove that his 41 League goals in the previous season, albeit in a lower division, was no fluke. At St. Andrews he nets his 11th and 12th goals of the campaign.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1214 on: November 23, 2011, 11:58:38 pm »
1973 Queens Park Rangers (Division One) Loftus Road 2-2
Larry Lloyd 26' John Toshack 75'
Att 26,254

This was the beginning of the end for one of the last survivors from the great Sixties team, Chris Lawler. This was the 17th League match of the season and Lawler had started in all of them. A cartilage injury sustained during this match at Loftus Road meant that he would not play again until the end of February 1974.

John Toshack scored a quite bizarre goal to put us 2-1 ahead. A cross came in from the right, Tosh swung his right leg at it but missed the ball completely, the ball then hit his left leg and bounced into the net past a goalkeeper who was by this time lying on the ground in anticipation of the right-foot shot that never came!   
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 12:27:04 am by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1215 on: November 23, 2011, 11:59:27 pm »
1979 Arsenal (Division One) Highbury 0-0
Att 55,561

I was there but I remember absolutely nothing about it. We drop from 1st to 2nd in this table after losing a point here. I have a feeling that it might have been Ipswich not Manchester United (the eventual runners-up) who took over at the top. While we were drawing at Highbury, Ipswich were beating Southampton 3-1 at Portman Road while United thumped Norwich 5-0 at Old Trafford.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1216 on: November 24, 2011, 12:00:01 am »
1984 Ipswich Town (Division One) Anfield 2-0
John Wark 41' 53'
Att 34,918

John Wark scores twice against the club we had bought him from earlier in the year. The second takes him on to a century of goals in the English League (94 for Ipswich, 6 for Liverpool).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1217 on: November 24, 2011, 12:01:19 am »
1987 Watford (Division One) Anfield 4-0
Steve McMahon 54' Ray Houghton 64' John Aldridge 68' John Barnes 71'
Att 32,396

A Tuesday evening victory that sees us take over from Arsenal at the top of the table (they do not have a midweek League match). John Barnes destroys his former club in the second half, laying on goals for McMahon and Aldridge before scoring the fourth himself with a ferocious long-distance drive that flies past Tony Coton in the visitors’ goal.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1218 on: November 24, 2011, 12:02:50 am »
1990 Manchester City (Division One) Anfield 2-2
Ian Rush 82' Ronny Rosenthal 86'
Att 37,849

Although we stay top after this draw, Arsenal close the gap by beating Queens Park Rangers 3-1 at Loftus Road. The match at Anfield is a strange one. Goal-less at the interval, City then take the lead with a Mark Ward penalty. We recover to score twice in four minutes deep into the second half but Niall Quinn equalises with a thumping injury-time header. City are only the third team (after Luton and Nottingham Forest) to leave Anfield with a point in the calendar year.

Highlights here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1k8cH-DC4

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1219 on: November 24, 2011, 12:04:51 am »
1998 Celta Vigo (UEFA Cup 3rd Round 1st Leg) Estadio Balaidos 1-3
Michael Owen 35'
Att 32,000

Brief highlights here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxGRbNi0xec

Their 3rd goal in the closing moments gives us plenty to do to turn the tie around at Anfield two weeks later.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1220 on: November 24, 2011, 12:05:41 am »
2009 Debrecen VSC (Champions League Group Stage Match 5) Puskas Ferenc Stadium 1-0
David Ngog 4'
Att 41,500

Despite this narrow win in Budapest (Ngog goal here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYygzHa-OX4 if you look closely!), we can no longer qualify for the knockout stage of the Champions League and will have to focus on the Europa League instead.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1221 on: November 24, 2011, 12:07:09 am »
2007 Newcastle United (Premier League) St James Park 3-0
Steven Gerrard 28' Dirk Kuyt 46' Ryan Babel 66'
Att 52,307

The Geordies are not happy bunnies and direct their anger towards manager “Big Sam” Allardyce. Steven Gerrard opens the scoring with a thunderbolt of a free-kick :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vid=LvP2V5EQoqw&v=FnuQHNHd5ZE&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_474180

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1222 on: November 24, 2011, 09:31:51 am »
1990 i remember going to see santa claus that day, came home and heard the result. reduced our lead at the top to 6 points over arsenal.

1998 celta vigo were good, but i remember owen missed a sitter at 1-0 or 1-1 which would have been a great help. steve staunton i remember had an absolute stormer. i remember saying in school the next day if it wasnt for him it would have been 7-1. steve mcmanaman and paul ince were suspended following red cards vs valencia in the previous round. I think Jamie Redknapp was to pick up a yellow and get suspended for the second leg too, Vegard Heggem joined him leaving us without 4 first choice players for the second leg. crucially the away goal keeps us in it and having almost overturned a 3 goal deficit in the previous 2 years in europe, all is not lost.

2007, as mentioned Rafa Benitez received a rather disgusting email from Tom Hicks that week in response to a request for transfer funds stating "YOU SHOULD CONCENTRATE ON COACHING YOUR TEAM".   Benitez responds by uttering "i am concentrating on coaching and training my team" a reputed 25 times in a pre match press conference. in an apparent swipe at him being told to coach his players Benitez unusually wore a tracksuit at the side of the pitch. was unusual given just about every other league game he was usually wearing a suit and tie.

on the pitch Liverpool took Newcastle apart. Steven Gerrard opened the scoring with a thunderous shot, he was among the england players booed during the game after England had failed to qualify for euro 2008 but he responds in style here, not the first or last time he downed newcastle with a cracker. Dirk Kuyt bundles home the only goal he scored from open play in the league that season while Ryan Babel scored a brilliant 3rd. it seriously could have ended 7 or 8-0. Fernando Torres hadnt a good record away from Anfield that season in the league and missed a lot of chances, to my mind I dont think Newcastle even registered a shot all game. powerful display.

2009 for the second time in the champions league we beat debrecen 1-0, despite the low score, debrecen were possibly the worst team i have ever seen in the champions league. speaking of seconds for the second time having finished second in the premier league the previous year we follow it up for the second time by going out of the following seasons champions league. familar to going through easily we are eliminated with one game to spare with the players leaving the pitch to watch the end of Lyons win over Fiorentina meaning were out. Rafas decision to play Alberto Aquilani in the last min is baffling, it is later claimed this was a swipe at Christian Purslow who ordered Rafa not to play him over an instalment issue with roma and thus ruining a possible plan to sell Aquilani in january with many feeling we were duped into buying him given his woeful appearance record. Aquilani cannot now really be sold due to him being cup tied. so goes the rumour
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 09:35:54 am by HELLRAZOR »

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1223 on: November 24, 2011, 09:43:47 am »
We were superb in that Newcastle game, as you say we could have scored 6 or 7 and not been flattered. Our performance was good, but merely a sign of things to come at St James’ Park the following season. I think you’re right Torres had a bit of a shocker in front of goal and missed a few good chances. Fat Sam was given dogs’ abuse by the Geordies, all very enjoyable. It was all a bit surreal though with the whole backdrop of the Rafa v owners feud part 12! Despite the on pitch brilliance there was a slight fear of what lay around the corner.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1224 on: November 24, 2011, 09:56:06 am »
We were superb in that Newcastle game, as you say we could have scored 6 or 7 and not been flattered. Our performance was good, but merely a sign of things to come at St James’ Park the following season. I think you’re right Torres had a bit of a shocker in front of goal and missed a few good chances. Fat Sam was given dogs’ abuse by the Geordies, all very enjoyable. It was all a bit surreal though with the whole backdrop of the Rafa v owners feud part 12! Despite the on pitch brilliance there was a slight fear of what lay around the corner.
slight fear alright

there was threats of a fall out in the summer but this was the first real sign for me that the cowboys were not all they claimed to be. the war had only just begun

i think torres missed an open goal. shay given tore from his goal and blocked a shot with what appeared to be his hand outside the box, ball rolled to torres who hit the post, from 30 yards alright but an opener all the same

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1225 on: November 24, 2011, 11:11:21 pm »
David Ngog 4'
Att 41,500

Despite this narrow win in Budapest (Ngog goal here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYygzHa-OX4 if you look closely!), we can no longer qualify for the knockout stage of the Champions League and will have to focus on the Europa League instead.

This was a depressing game. Not even an early goal could encourage us to produce a performance as everyone knew Fiorentina and Lyon would stage manage the result that took them both through. Injury time goals conceded in both games against Lyon, and half hearted performances against a very weak Debrecen were the main reasons for our exit. The 2-0 defeat in Florence saw us outplayed, while losing the final home game to the Italians was irrelevant.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1226 on: November 24, 2011, 11:38:46 pm »
Good to see I called all November 24th games correctly after a couple of recent errors with dates of games. What do I recall from November 25th over the past 30 years? The answer is not very much, but here goes before Kriss and Rafa La give you all the pre 1981 stuff as well.

1995: Our 1st ever visit to the Riverside Stadium Middlesbrough saw us lose 2-1 despite a Neil Ruddock goal. Losing there would sadly become a familar theme for us, although we did score occassionally back then! To date we have only enjoyed 2 successes at the Riverside. Bring back Ayresome Park where we won 4-0 on my only visit in 1989.

2001: A 1st half Emile Heskey goal saw off Sunderland at Anfield. We also lost Dietmar Hamman in the 1st half after he was sent off for a challenge that deserved a booking, but no more. Sunderland were so inept that day that we never looked like not winning despite them having the extra man.

2006: A 1-0 win against Manchester City at Anfield thanks to Steven Gerrard. The City fans had been taunting him in the 1st half with "you're just a shit Joey Barton", but guess whose misplaced pass Gerrard seized on to fire home the winner midway through the 2nd half?

I'm sure I've missed something as only 3 matches in 30 years seems very vague?

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1227 on: November 24, 2011, 11:41:48 pm »
Good to see I called all November 24th games correctly after a couple of recent errors with dates of games. What do I recall from November 25th over the past 30 years? The answer is not very much, but here goes before Kriss and Rafa La give you all the pre 1981 stuff as well.

1995: Our 1st ever visit to the Riverside Stadium Middlesbrough saw us lose 2-1 despite a Neil Ruddock goal. Losing there would sadly become a familar theme for us, although we did score occassionally back then! To date we have only enjoyed 2 successes at the Riverside. Bring back Ayresome Park where we won 4-0 on my only visit in 1989.

2001: A 1st half Emile Heskey goal saw off Sunderland at Anfield. We also lost Dietmar Hamman in the 1st half after he was sent off for a challenge that deserved a booking, but no more. Sunderland were so inept that day that we never looked like not winning despite them having the extra man.

2006: A 1-0 win against Manchester City at Anfield thanks to Steven Gerrard. The City fans had been taunting him in the 1st half with "you're just a shit Joey Barton", but guess whose misplaced pass Gerrard seized on to fire home the winner midway through the 2nd half?

I'm sure I've missed something as only 3 matches in 30 years seems very vague?

I don't think you have missed anything significant, Alan. Here is the list for November the 25th that Rafa_La has asked me to post on his behalf :

Today In History
November 25th

1961 Swansea Town (Division Two) Anfield 5-0
Jimmy Melia 47' 49' Roger Hunt 60' 76' 82'
Att 35,725

1964 Anderlecht (European Cup 1st round 1st leg) Anfield 3-0
Ian St John 10' Roger Hunt 43' Ron Yeats 50'
Att 44,516

1967 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Tony Hateley 1' Willie Stevenson 83'(Pen)
Att 43,885

1972 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 2-1
Steve Heighway 28' Kevin Keegan 40'
Att 45,399

1978 Middlesbrough (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Terry McDermott 30' Graeme Souness 69'
Att 39,812

1980 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molinuex 1-4
Phil Neal 44'
Att 25,497

1995 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside Stadium 1-2
Neil Ruddock 63'
Att 29,390

2001 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 22'
Att 43,537

2006 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Steven Gerrard 67'
Att 44,081

BIRTHDAYS ON THIS DAY

Steve Heighway (64)
Xabi Alonso (30)
Jay Spearing (23)

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1228 on: November 24, 2011, 11:42:33 pm »
1961 Swansea Town (Division Two) Anfield 5-0
Jimmy Melia 47' 49' Roger Hunt 60' 76' 82'
Att 35,725

The 7th home win (out of 9 matches played) in our promotion season back to the top division. Roger Hunt scores the 3rd of his 12 Liverpool hat-tricks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 11:51:36 pm by kriss »

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1229 on: November 24, 2011, 11:43:39 pm »
1964 Anderlecht (European Cup 1st round 1st leg) Anfield 3-0
Ian St John 10' Roger Hunt 43' Ron Yeats 50'
Att 44,516

The all-red strip gets its first outing! Go to 6 minutes 14 seconds on this clip for an explanation :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90YIwwpSktQ

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1230 on: November 24, 2011, 11:44:26 pm »
I think we had had a shocking November in 1995, actually starting on 31st October against Brondby. Think we lost every game that month.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1231 on: November 24, 2011, 11:45:10 pm »
1967 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Anfield 2-1
Tony Hateley 1' Willie Stevenson 83'(Pen)
Att 43,885

The 10th goal of the season for Tony Hateley in his 24th appearance. He will end his only full season as a Liverpool player with 16 First Division goals plus another 11 in the cups. This is the 9th home League match of the season. The attendance of 43,885 is significantly down on the average for the first 8 games of 51,747. Our late penalty is initially taken by Tommy Smith. Evan Williams saves but the referee orders a re-take because the goalkeeper moved too soon. Willie Stevenson, with seven successful penalty-kicks already to his name, successfully scores. It will be his last goal as a Liverpool player before moving to Stoke at the end of the year.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1232 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:03 pm »
1972 Tottenham Hotspur (Division One) White Hart Lane 2-1
Steve Heighway 28' Kevin Keegan 40'
Att 45,399

25th November 1972 : Tottenham Hotspur 1 Liverpool 2

Steve Heighway’s goal at 1 minute 42 seconds on this clip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSD_ABo4Qws

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1233 on: November 24, 2011, 11:46:52 pm »
1978 Middlesbrough (Division One) Anfield 2-0
Terry McDermott 30' Graeme Souness 69'
Att 39,812

We win our 8th home League match of the season (out of 9) and the margin of victory would have been greater had Phil Neal not missed a penalty. Having scored from the spot against Manchester City a week earlier, he was the logical choice to take the kick despite having missed a penalty against Leeds earlier in the month. But the next time the team was awarded a penalty, there would be a different taker (Terry McDermott).

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1234 on: November 24, 2011, 11:47:39 pm »
1980 Wolverhampton Wanderers (Division One) Molinuex 1-4
Phil Neal 44'
Att 25,497

A midweek trip to Molineux brings our biggest defeat of the season so far (and it will remain so). Even our former favourite Emlyn Hughes gets on the score-sheet. It is the first time Wolves. have scored more than three times against us since 1950!

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1235 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:29 pm »
I think we had had a shocking November in 1995, actually starting on 31st October against Brondby. Think we lost every game that month.

Not quite Nick. We had a 0-0 draw at West Ham on Wednesday 22nd. We ended the month with a 1-0 home loss to Newcastle in the Coca Cola Cup, which we were the holders of at the time. December began with a draw at home to Southampton, so it was December 9th when we finally tasted victory again at Bolton.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1236 on: November 24, 2011, 11:48:40 pm »
1995 Middlesbrough (Premier League) Riverside Stadium 1-2
Neil Ruddock 63'
Att 29,390

The club’s first visit (and mine) to the recently-opened Riverside Stadium sees that rare occurrence for an away fixture at Middlesbrough … a reasonably-entertaining game. Peering through the gloom of a Tees-side late-afternoon, we see Neil Ruddock head in Jason McAteer’s cross to bring us level. But we have barely finished celebrating when Middlesbrough attack down our left. Neil Cox’s cross is deflected by Ruddock into Nick Barmby’s path and our future forward makes no mistake by clipping the ball past James into the goal in front of us. Steve McManaman, put through by Fowler, misses a golden chance to bring us level again. We drop one place in the table from 6th to 7th.

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1237 on: November 24, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »
2001 Sunderland (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Emile Heskey 22'
Att 43,537

Emile Heskey scores his first goal since the end of August to maintain our position at the top of the table. Dietmar Hamann is sent off by Steve Bennett just before half-time for a two-footed lunge on Sunderland’s Bernt Haas.  Caretaker-manager Phil Thompson, who has just overseen his 6th victory in 9 matches since taking over from the recovering Gerard Houllier, is involved in an angry exchange with Haas after the final whistle. At the post-match press-conference Thompson admits that he has acted inappropriately, saying "I just got carried away. I'll see the lad later and I'll apologise to him then.”

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1238 on: November 24, 2011, 11:50:04 pm »
2006 Manchester City (Premier League) Anfield 1-0
Steven Gerrard 67'
Att 44,081

Stalemate until the middle of the second half, at which point Joey Barton’s wayward pass is picked off by Dirk Kuyt and the Dutchman sets up his captain to drive a fierce right-foot shot past Nicky Weaver in the visitors’ goal.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1239 on: November 24, 2011, 11:54:56 pm »
Sick one. 10 years ago i had a pint with my dad. My mate walked in. He is a taxi man. Night before this game he picked up a deaf and dumb guy.

5 Mins into the trip the guy started wanking! !!!!! my mate threw him out. Said the guy was still giving it a good tug as my mate threw him out of the car. He drove off and looked in mirror. The guy was somehow 33% wanking. 33% Fixing his jocks 33% tryna hail down a taxi. Don't ask me about the other 1%