Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 305976 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #480 on: April 28, 2013, 10:15:41 pm »
Insults seem to be lost or go through perjoration/ amelioration. Not heard 'queg' or 'beaut' in a long time. Meff is still going strong though, and nonce seems to be on the rise. My mate calls anyone wearing a snapback a bad queg.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 10:17:22 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: April 29, 2013, 09:27:38 am »
Insults seem to be lost or go through perjoration/ amelioration. Not heard 'queg' or 'beaut' in a long time. Meff is still going strong though, and nonce seems to be on the rise. My mate calls anyone wearing a snapback a bad queg.

I've got a mate who loves saying 'queg' and 'beaut'.

I like the way he uses 'beards' for 'ages/a long time'.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline gregor

• Partial to a Swiss Roll
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: April 29, 2013, 10:05:51 am »
I still use beaut a fair bit to be honest.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #483 on: April 29, 2013, 10:06:22 am »
I'm not sure if Beaut was ever truly a Scouse expression to even be lost.
The first time I heard it used in speech was back in the late 60's or early 70's (Barry Humphries?) and then seemingly uniquely employed by Australians, though its meaning was at that time largely to describe something or someone really good, as in an abbreviation of beautiful.
By the 80's, I started to hear it around London but used instead to describe someone who was pompous or a bullshitter. I suppose like bad becoming an expression in certain social groupings back then to imply something that was actually extremely good, beaut too has over the years become a strangely modified euphemism in now largely meaning an idiot.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #484 on: May 11, 2013, 10:38:33 pm »
"Gets the half nine bus" was sometimes used to describe someone as a bit cracked. Not sure why?
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 19, 2013, 02:38:52 am »
great thread, hadn't noticed it before. :D

have a feeling gobshite might be an irish one. think shite comes from there? liverpool and ireland share a lot of slang that no-one else uses

yeah, gobshite is Irish.
also 'gobdaw' (a stupid person) and 'gobsheen'.

Owl arse, meaning crafty, sly, lazy or canny. Not the same as Arl arse, which means old.
Owl arse was interchangeable with cute, which meant the same. It doesn't mean cute like a baby or kitten, I think it comes from an Irish word meaning sly.
(Awaits corrections from anyone Irish!)  :)
yep, 'cute' in Ireland means a sly, crafty person ('he's a cute hoor').
also 'shleeveen' which means the same thing.

I saw 'golly' mentioned in here too as a word for spit.
we have 'gollyer', which is a particularly phlegmy spit, or it was when I was a kid anyway.

also saw 'omadaun' (as in 'fool') from the Irish 'amadán' for fool.

and 'head the ball' which you often hear old fellas in Dublin say.
I've often heard Johnny Giles use it when talking about Mario Balotelli.
also 'loo-la', which my old fella says now and again, dunno if you have that one in Liverpool?

some brilliant words in here...
'queg' is great, I'm havin that. ;D
also 'pyabs' haha.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: May 19, 2013, 05:49:54 am »
Noticed quite a few people (I do sometimes), say "See you after", instead of "see you later", was wondering if that was a particularly Scouse thing?

I still haven't shook off saying variants on 'what's happening' as my hello's ('sapnin', 'apnin', 'what is') and 'inabit' for my goodbye. Probably used elsewhere too, but it's what everyone said growing up.

Was there any slang or little phrases the older generation of Scousers in this thread used for hellos and goodbyes?

Offline kennedy81

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: May 19, 2013, 01:39:58 pm »
Noticed quite a few people (I do sometimes), say "See you after", instead of "see you later", was wondering if that was a particularly Scouse thing?

we say 'see you after' in Ireland too, more so in Dublin maybe.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: May 19, 2013, 02:56:46 pm »
we say 'see you after' in Ireland too, more so in Dublin maybe.

Liverpool may as well be in Ireland really

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #489 on: May 19, 2013, 03:01:32 pm »
..Was there any slang or little phrases the older generation of Scousers in this thread used for hellos and goodbyes?

From what I remember, Allright used to be used a lot as a greeting and and Tarra as a simple farewell certainly well into the 70's, as in the combination of greeting a friend and enquiring if he would like to go for a few beers.... "Allright Bollocks, fancy a bevvy?"
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: May 23, 2013, 10:25:58 pm »
Was there any slang or little phrases the older generation of Scousers in this thread used for hellos and goodbyes?

"Now then" for a hello
"Im gettin' off" for goodbye
"On me toes" - On the run or leggin' it
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 10:27:41 pm by vivabobbygraham »

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #491 on: May 24, 2013, 12:17:41 pm »
Kennedy81 posted:- "we say 'see you after' in Ireland too, more so in Dublin maybe."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

We say it in Manchester too - not surprising really given the Irish descendants connections in the city.

After exactly what though has never been defined..... ::) ::)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 12:20:15 pm by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: May 25, 2013, 07:23:35 pm »
There's a few that my gran and grandad's and mam and dad's generation used (still use) that don't get nearly as much of an airing theses days

When someone was pie-eyed and were walking, they called it the "yankee staggers."

Someone walking while they were pissed or with impaired mobility or obvious disability, and they used this one that still cracks me up, but it was sung rather than spoken "Look at the fucking state of him walking half past eight, a quarter to nine, twenty five minutes to ten"

Anyone who was a but gammy or did anything stupid got called a biff or a flid or a joey (the Deacon variety and not the taxi version which was a joey or a jobe).

Anyone in a wheelchair got called Ben Hur.

And my favourites for someone who was gozzy was "boss-eyed" "one eye on the tea and one eye on the toast" or "one eye on St Johns and one on Blacklers" (places on different sides of the same street for non Scousers)

Anyone who was underweight got called "one of Belsens"

any sort of shop that sold things like DIY stuff or mop heads and bric-a-brac was called a "Chandlers"

A dollar meant half a crown or twenty five pence (that was the exchange rate roughly at the time)

Paraffin oil faced twat was one of the greatest insults I've ever heard from my granddad.

Does anyone still use Doolally or one of Winnick's (not sure of the spelling of that) to describe someone who's a bit mental or angry?

One me nan used to use if you looked scruffy was "you look like the wreck of the Hesperus"

"San Fairy Anne" was used to mean an inevitability that it's all over or there's nothing you could do about it.

Can't think of any more for now even though there were loads more, but I'm made up I saw this thread. Spent half an hour laughing me head off  ;D

Queg, quim, Texan or ted are still part of my everyday lingo. And I have to say, I still think this was my best ever use of it.

0 shots on goal, 0 corners.

And i woke up at 5am to watch this fucking crap.

You should be on time for your paper round then you fucking ted.

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline Bucke

• Custom title
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #493 on: May 25, 2013, 08:23:01 pm »
And my favourites for someone who was gozzy was "boss-eyed" "one eye on the tea and one eye on the toast" or "one eye on St Johns and one on Blacklers" (places on different sides of the same street for non Scousers)

My mum used to say "one eye on you and the other on the isle of man"
@johnbuckels

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: May 25, 2013, 10:23:49 pm »
Thrupenny all off - Haircut
Get yer head down - shut up
divvi - idiot
shrapnel - coins
Big time Charlie banana's/potato's - poser
jigger - entry
quilt - dickhead
Mary - quim

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: May 26, 2013, 01:16:10 am »
Couple more.

Face like a blistered pisspot - ugly

Lebanese ruffle - duffle coat

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 31, 2013, 03:26:04 am »
"Now then" for a hello
"Im gettin' off" for goodbye
"On me toes" - On the run or leggin' it

Yep, they are still used now days.

Beaut and queg is still used. Beaut is more common though.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: May 31, 2013, 11:03:31 pm »
Arse like a Bombay money lender
Face like a smacked arse
Have a blimp - look
Over the raller - railway lines

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #498 on: June 4, 2013, 01:37:13 pm »
Beaut and queg is still used. Beaut is more common though.
Not been in the city for more than a few days for three years now, so looking forward to coming back this summer massively. Immerse myself back amongst things as almost everyone I interact with these days is a Manc or a southerner.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #499 on: June 4, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »
This is something which was often said when we were kids, don’t know if it’s still said. It was usually said in retaliation to someone mocking you or calling you names or even just lobbed in a conversation at random for amusement.

“Soze ye mar” – Please refrain from calling me a fat fellow of fatherless origin. 

“Soze ye mar” – Yes, it does smell like fish you’re correct.

“Soze ye mar” – My Bicycle tyre is not at all baldy.

And so on...   
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: June 5, 2013, 08:08:46 am »
Macca888 posted:- There's a few that my gran and grandad's and mam and dad's generation used (still use) that don't get nearly as much of an airing theses days

When someone was pie-eyed and were walking, they called it the "yankee staggers."

Someone walking while they were pissed or with impaired mobility or obvious disability, and they used this one that still cracks me up, but it was sung rather than spoken "Look at the fucking state of him walking half past eight, a quarter to nine, twenty five minutes to ten"

Anyone who was a but gammy or did anything stupid got called a biff or a flid or a joey (the Deacon variety and not the taxi version which was a joey or a jobe).

any sort of shop that sold things like DIY stuff or mop heads and bric-a-brac was called a "Chandlers"

A dollar meant half a crown or twenty five pence (that was the exchange rate roughly at the time)

Paraffin oil faced twat was one of the greatest insults I've ever heard from my granddad.

Does anyone still use Doolally or one of Winnick's (not sure of the spelling of that) to describe someone who's a bit mental or angry?

One me nan used to use if you looked scruffy was "you look like the wreck of the Hesperus"

"San Fairy Anne" was used to mean an inevitability that it's all over or there's nothing you could do about it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A lot of stuff going on there lad! ;D

A couple of observations from this Manc.

Boss-eyed or sken-eyed as we Mancs say would be described by my old Nana (my great-grandmother who was a Scot) by the lovingly delivered phrase ..."one eye in the pot and the other up the chimney".

A dollar when I was a lad in the 50's was a whole FIVE shillings . It derived from the days when four yankee dollars equalled one pound sterling. It wasn't two and a tanner Macca mate- that was half a dollar or staying very British, half a crown.

Re Winnick - I believe from my Widnesian distant cousins that it was spelled Winwick and it was a mental hospital in Warrington. I just confirmed this via Google
see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winwick_Asylum#History

San Fairy Anne - my grandad Ted's favourite saying - came about from the WW1 Tommies getting their gobs wrapped round a bit of pidgeon-French.
It is derived from the French "Cela ne fait rien" which broadly means (as Macca correctly states) it doesn't matter. The cela bit usually gets shortened back to ca - hence the pronunction of "ca ne fait rien" which to the Anglophone ear sounds like San Fairy Anne!

Manc-speak about walking with a swagger usually went something like "Look at that tit putting his feet down like ready money!"

We could go on a long time - but one word I took notice of was flid. My wife's mother now long dead - and also a Manchester lass - always used it to describe someone (usually a kiddy)  having a paddy / temper fit.

My Grandad Bill (mother's Dad) was alovely fella and he rarely ever swore. The worst I ever heard him say was about a bloke at work who he did NOT rate at all. He called him a closet. A closet being a euphemism for a water closet - or a plain shithouse to me and you. ::) ::)

« Last Edit: June 5, 2013, 10:38:42 am by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline The Lash

• Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Copy... Paste... Had massive doses of fluoride in his formula.
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #501 on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:36 pm »
A word I haven't heard for years 'bronzie" as in sunburn, me ma used to say it all time

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: June 16, 2013, 08:57:58 pm »
What about "Gettin' off at Edge Hill", referring to a once popular method of birth control......

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No longer goes the game. Thread-starter bore
« Reply #503 on: June 17, 2013, 03:05:28 pm »
What about "Gettin' off at Edge Hill", referring to a once popular method of birth control......

Ha!

Never heard of that one - that's boss
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Offline The Fletcher Memorial

• Feels mildly violat.................. ed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reality is hard to find
« Reply #504 on: June 18, 2013, 01:11:36 pm »
Ha!

Never heard of that one - that's boss

Wool!
The sky does not know of east or of west;
it is in the minds of men where such distinctions are made, and then they believe them to be true.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #505 on: June 18, 2013, 03:18:32 pm »
Got me bare tit and got a bar on...

They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #506 on: June 18, 2013, 09:52:00 pm »
Got me bare tit and got a bar on...

Me missus is a cockney and she hadn't heard the 'bare tit' expression till I told her years ago. Thought it was hilarious.

Got a bar on.... Fuck ! Haven't heard that since school days. Brilliant.

Offline Effes

• Bat droppings in the gym. Bestial Porn Fiend. Horsey horsey dont you stop, now you're wanted by internet cop. Four legs good, two legs bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:16 am »
Mid 80's was the time of "Yer Ma...."

Very common in school was "Yer Ma wears army boots"
Conversion into the opposite - a fool who persists in his folly will become wise.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: June 23, 2013, 09:02:19 pm »
"Ya gob smells like Saunby street's entry"  which was located next to the tanyards in Garston.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline Effes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:18 pm »
"Ya gob smells like Saunby street's entry"  which was located next to the tanyards in Garston.

I used to work there!

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: June 25, 2013, 02:01:43 pm »
There's a few that my gran and grandad's and mam and dad's generation used (still use) that don't get nearly as much of an airing theses days

Flid was used as a shortened version for Thalidomide, and yes, Joey as in Deacon

We used "One eye looking at you, and one eye looking for you" or "Football eyes, one at home, one away."

Anyone who was underweight got called "one of Belsens"

We used to say there's more meat on a Biaphron(sp)

See Jonno, Winwick institute. We used to sing "Let's all go to Winwick, xxxxxxxxx's favourite clinic, ner ner ner ner...."

Best mates with Stig (of the dump, not Top Gear fame.)

Can't think of any more for now even though there were loads more, but I'm made up I saw this thread. Spent half an hour laughing me head off  ;D

Queg, quim, Texan or ted are still part of my everyday lingo. And I have to say, I still think this was my best ever use of it.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: June 25, 2013, 02:17:04 pm »
L666KOP - in your signature / profile mate should that be Paludrine instead of Paluadrin? I ask as I used to work for ICI Pharms who made the bloody stuff - an anti-malarial it was.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: June 26, 2013, 08:55:45 am »
L666KOP - in your signature / profile mate should that be Paludrine instead of Paluadrin? I ask as I used to work for ICI Pharms who made the bloody stuff - an anti-malarial it was.

Paluadrin, was a nightclub at the old 22 regiment barracks in Hereford.

But itwas named after the drug, spot on. Horrible stuff it was.
 :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:57:44 am by L666KOP »
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: June 26, 2013, 09:09:03 am »
It was a bastard to make too mate! ;D ;D

Offline L666KOP

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: June 26, 2013, 09:34:42 am »
It was a bastard to make too mate! ;D ;D

A very good friend of mine was in 3 Para, and his dad served with 22 for 12 years, we used to go to all the reunions. We used to stay a house with a guy called Tak, fooking huge fijian that his dad served with, anyway, I mention that I'm going to Tunisia on holiday and he disappears upstairs, 10 minutes later he comes back down with some Paluadrine and tells me to "use this mate, better than any prescribed shit". Told me to double dose on it, " And the little fuckers won't come near you."
It's amusing to think that I just took them, they were wrapped in a cotton hanky, he could have been giving me anything.
I think I'd rather have caught Malaria.  ;D

Offline Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: June 26, 2013, 11:30:35 pm »
Had to take them horrible fuckers in Belize... Ended up just swerving them and hoping for the best
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2013, 02:51:52 am »
Under the arm - shite

With the appropriate gesture of right hand under left armpit...or vice versa if you were the fucking devil incarnate.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2013, 07:04:28 am »
Under the arm - shite

With the appropriate gesture of right hand under left armpit...or vice versa if you were the fucking devil incarnate.

That was my grandad's saying about any tossers he never rated. I always equated it's meaning to a lack of deoderant "under the arm" - therefore he stinks. It was always used in Manchester when I was growing up in the 50's.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: August 25, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
That was my grandad's saying about any tossers he never rated. I always equated it's meaning to a lack of deoderant "under the arm" - therefore he stinks. It was always used in Manchester when I was growing up in the 50's.

Similar Johnno. My grandad would add the word 'steamer' if it was someone or something he particularly didn't like.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: August 26, 2013, 07:34:16 am »
Well Bobby lad my grandad had another word for such as those "steamers" - he called them closets a.k.a shithouses. ;D