Author Topic: Lost Scouse Lingo  (Read 305996 times)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: Lost Scouse Lingo
« Reply #440 on: January 26, 2013, 05:28:08 pm »
I've always thought that was the correct name for them (not with that spelling though :) )? They werent cockles or whelks. They were like minature mussels. My ma used to buy them for me da from the fish shop in Greaty.
I always thought they were spelt 'cuins' - me dad loved them. But I can never remember them being on sale anywhere (in the Anfield area that is). He only ever seemed to get them when we were at New Brighton or somewhere seasidey.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #441 on: January 26, 2013, 05:33:52 pm »
I assure you that my spelling was utterly phonetic, and put to shame by you guys  ;) I've certainly asked people if they remember them, and am often met with blank faces. Never recall them being on sale anywhere, hence fine memories of having carrier bags full of the sodding things back on the underground.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: January 26, 2013, 11:35:28 pm »
Are the cuins winkles?

Bit of googling also found the spelling 'quins' in this thread.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:40:50 pm by redbyrdz »
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: January 27, 2013, 10:14:24 am »
Yes my dad used to eat them too , used to make me sick looked like snot when he used to have them on the end of the needle .

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #444 on: January 27, 2013, 11:13:38 am »
Winkles, that make sense! Mystery solved, cheers fellas.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #445 on: January 28, 2013, 08:20:17 am »
Use to get winkles at Blackpool.  Poke em out of their spiral coned shell on the end of the pin they gave you whenever you bought a portion. Me Dad loved 'em but me? NAW!

Loved a bowl of cockles with vinegar and pepper on though - very tasty.

When I grew up I got to appreciate whelks (Sea-snails) - similarly seasoned.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: January 28, 2013, 10:59:18 am »
Yes my dad used to eat them too , used to make me sick looked like snot when he used to have them on the end of the needle .

Thems the fellas - totally gorgeous they were.

And don't forget the scaly little inedible eyelid thingy you had to remove first, before you got to the curled up snotty goodness!

Offline Cato

• nine tails
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • We got the Truth, then Justice. Now Accountability
« Reply #447 on: January 28, 2013, 05:51:40 pm »
We used to eat them too.
Does anyone remember their Ma saying this when you asked a question she didn't want to answer?

Me. "What are you doing"

Ma. "Picking a cewin"

Or was that just our family?!   :o
We kept believing and Justice is served.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #448 on: January 29, 2013, 12:35:03 pm »
We used to eat them too.
Does anyone remember their Ma saying this when you asked a question she didn't want to answer?

Me. "What are you doing"

Ma. "Picking a cewin"

Or was that just our family?!   :o

Christ, how many spellings are  we going to come up with! ;D
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #449 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »
Christ, how many spellings are  we going to come up with! ;D
The only connection to Cewin/Quen/ etc I can find is Caenogastropoda, some type of periwinkle.
Looks like it was the Irish (again) who brought them to Liverpool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_periwinkle
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #450 on: January 29, 2013, 04:15:09 pm »

On that theme, though not specifically scouse related, I do remember a little ditty popular at school for a short while back in the early 60's whenever you saw someone excavating their nostrils....I think it went with a tune from a then current TV advert.

Everybody's doin' it, doin' it, doin' it,
Pickin' their nose and chewin it, chewin it, chewin it.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #451 on: January 30, 2013, 01:45:44 pm »
Lovely that Gulley lad, just ferkin' lovely......... ::) ::)
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #452 on: January 30, 2013, 01:55:43 pm »
Lovely that Gulley lad, just ferkin' lovely......... ::) ::)

I have my moments...

On a similar (and truly disgusting) theme I remember a few lads years back in Liverpool would pass comment by drily saying the word 'Oysters' if anyone sucked runny phlegm back up their nostrils and then swallowed it.

Delightful.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #453 on: January 30, 2013, 02:00:01 pm »
Oh now you leave me with an even lovelier image .   .   .  :o

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #454 on: January 30, 2013, 03:12:49 pm »
I actually described oysters to a mate a few months ago as "like swallowing someone else's snot" - he nearly puked. :)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:49 am »
Try them poached in a dry white wine mate - then add a splash of cream - fantastic!!

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #456 on: March 7, 2013, 08:12:36 pm »
Is 'wayo' a purely Liverpool thing?
Oh you English are SO superior aren't you? Well, would you like to know where you'd be without US the good old U.S. of A. to protect you? I'll tell you. The smallest fucking province in the Russian Empire, that's where! If it wasn't for us, you'd all be speaking German, singing, "Deutschland, Deutschland Uber Alles!"

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #457 on: March 7, 2013, 08:21:06 pm »
Is 'wayo' a purely Liverpool thing?
Usage as in slow down , wait for me or hold on a mo ?... Not sure but I've never heard it used outside of Liverpool except by scousers so I think it might well be.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #458 on: March 7, 2013, 09:43:31 pm »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Stevie-A

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: March 8, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »
Isn't that just a posh snail?
No, it is simply one of the most horrific memories of my childhood.

Offline AllyouneedisRush

• One leg, musical nostrils, itchy crotch. Is actually Louis Walsh.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: March 11, 2013, 05:20:34 pm »
Me nan used to say "go to bootle" as a way of saying get lost.... 
Justice 97 - YNWA

Offline bigweb

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #461 on: March 12, 2013, 11:44:06 am »
Have we had these?

Gettin a legger- Being Chased by someone
On Toes - Run away quickly
Calling one of the lads or girls a 'Fridge' because they hadn't necked anyone.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #462 on: March 12, 2013, 01:15:41 pm »
Have we had these?

Gettin a legger- Being Chased by someone
On Toes - Run away quickly
Calling one of the lads or girls a 'Fridge' because they hadn't necked anyone.

Our getting a legger was jumping on the back of a moving vehicle.
Getting legged by someone was getting chased by someone.

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The boys pen cured my acne
« Reply #463 on: March 17, 2013, 04:16:45 pm »
Got an arse like a Bombay Money Lender
Got a face like a smacked arse
...If you can meet with triumph and disaster
And treat those two imposters just the same

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: March 18, 2013, 08:37:06 am »
 Face like a smacked arse is used by Mancs too while a face like a bag of spanners is definitely Manc  - don't know if it's used in Liverpool though?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• Waiting for the silver bus. Gobshites- united- will never be defeated. Whip him, beat him, call him Barbara, he can live with it. Self confessed c*nt (apparently)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: March 18, 2013, 09:46:11 pm »
Face like a smacked arse is used by Mancs too while a face like a bag of spanners is definitely Manc  - don't know if it's used in Liverpool though?

There you go, Johnno, take away the football you can't put a ciggie paper between us. Hadn't heard either phrase for ages. Good to know at least one is still alive and kicking. Fuck knows where the Bombay money lender one came from. Always made me laugh.

Me grandad always pronounced Derby as Durby. Probably swapped the ar for the ur on a lot of words but that one stood out...Durby County.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: March 19, 2013, 08:29:56 am »
Bleedin' hell - so did mine Geoff lad! Durby County and Peter Doherty he allus used to say. Note the use of allus instead of always. I wonder where allus comes from? Sounds a bit Yorky-ish to me which might make sense as his grandfather came over to Manchester from Yorkshire together with his 5 brothers and they were all bill-posters according to family history. Sadly there's no-one left alive to ask exactly WHERE in Yorkshire though now ....

Still a bit of the arl Lancastrian left in our collective manner of speaking then - despite all the political boundary shennenigans eh?

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #467 on: March 19, 2013, 12:24:47 pm »
Bleedin' hell - so did mine Geoff lad! Durby County and Peter Doherty he allus used to say. Note the use of allus instead of always. I wonder where allus comes from? Sounds a bit Yorky-ish to me which might make sense as his grandfather came over to Manchester from Yorkshire together with his 5 brothers and they were all bill-posters according to family history. Sadly there's no-one left alive to ask exactly WHERE in Yorkshire though now ....

Still a bit of the arl Lancastrian left in our collective manner of speaking then - despite all the political boundary shennenigans eh?
Geoff? Bobby g came a little bit later than Geoff s Johnno. Wondered if your grandad worked on the railway mate? Might have been a railway thing. Me grandad was irish-da, .
laincastrian ma

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: March 19, 2013, 12:35:46 pm »
Of course you're Bobby. Whatever was I thinking of..   Sorry Geoff.... :P

No grandad was Openshaw, Manchester born and worked as a young bloke on scaffolding. Him and his brother Arthur worked on the Midland Hotel on Peter Street in Manchester city centre.

His wife (my nin) came from a 100% Irish family though. Mother from Co Mayo and father from Belfast city. She was raised in Little Ireland in the heart of Ancoats, Manchester.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 12:37:43 pm by Johnnowhite »

Offline vivabobbygraham

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #469 on: March 19, 2013, 03:50:46 pm »
Up wooden hill

"Where've you been"?
"Up Ben's hole"

Online Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #470 on: March 19, 2013, 07:23:37 pm »
There you go, Johnno, take away the football you can't put a ciggie paper between us. Hadn't heard either phrase for ages. Good to know at least one is still alive and kicking. Fuck knows where the Bombay money lender one came from. Always made me laugh.

Me grandad always pronounced Derby as Durby. Probably swapped the ar for the ur on a lot of words but that one stood out...Durby County.

Mine says durby as well
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: March 20, 2013, 02:00:22 pm »
Heard a cracker from our arl arse milkman yesterday -haven't heard it for years.

He was talking about this dead tall fella who lives down the road from us:

"Have you seen the size of 'im? He's longer than a midnight mass"

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: March 20, 2013, 02:06:44 pm »
That's a cracker - and I served altar at a few of those - an' the fella's right!! :P :P

( Crossing meself here and slingin' up a quick "God forgive me") ;) ;)

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: April 11, 2013, 09:08:34 am »
Me Granddad (Big dad to us) used to say "Sufferin icecakes!" instead of swearing. Anybody else heard that 1?
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #474 on: April 11, 2013, 11:36:40 am »

Not in years, a bit like "By the 'eck!" or "Blood and sand!".

I suppose people aren't quite so coy about using real expletives in conversation these days so those old phrases have fallen out of everyday use.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: April 11, 2013, 01:46:10 pm »
I remember my Grandad God rest him using a quaint term for anyone he didn't rate at work.
(It's not Scouse Lingo but Manc)

He'd be talking to me Nin and she mentioned a name she'd heard him mention when he was training people he thought were "good blokes" to do the job he'd done for over 40 years - and then he'd utter the immortal words ......

" Him? I don't bother with him any more - he turned out to be a right closet".*

* short for water closet (W.C.) = in common parlance - a shithouse
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:49:40 pm by Johnnowhite »

Offline bigbrillo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #476 on: April 18, 2013, 10:50:43 pm »
hi lenin
i think we must be similar in age (im  48)
family were originally from the athol street area off scotty
what school did you go to?
i went to lamby road (1977-1981)
sadly gone now only the rotunda boxing club remains (was the schools gym)

Offline bigbrillo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #477 on: April 18, 2013, 11:00:26 pm »
lol
did not get it at first
until i read the definition below  ;0
class..............................................

* short for water closet (W.C.) = in common parlance - a shithouse
[/quote]

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #478 on: April 18, 2013, 11:06:55 pm »
Me Granddad (Big dad to us) used to say "Sufferin icecakes!" instead of swearing. Anybody else heard that 1?
Yep, "sufferin' icecakes", "go play shammie round the block", "go to buggeries island" were all used by nan. She had no idea what buggeries meant and was horrified when she was told after 60 years of use.

Offline Lenin.

• Rita out.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "We All Shine On"
« Reply #479 on: April 19, 2013, 01:39:20 pm »
hi lenin
i think we must be similar in age (im  48)
family were originally from the athol street area off scotty
what school did you go to?
i went to lamby road (1977-1981)
sadly gone now only the rotunda boxing club remains (was the schools gym)

Fuck off grandad! :) . (Hang on, you're not a female are you? ??? )