Author Topic: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread  (Read 60180 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Re: The Samsung Galaxy S2 thread
« Reply #160 on: September 3, 2011, 03:10:16 pm »
Anyone downlaoded Real Football HD...can't get the fuckin 200MB file to d-l no matter what
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline elnino_yash

• Anny Roader
« Reply #161 on: September 3, 2011, 03:35:12 pm »
lol i do that too
HAha i keep putting a dot instead of a space everytime :/...The battery life is the only one crticism ,but then i guess u cant have everything

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: September 3, 2011, 09:03:54 pm »
yeah, it fairly chews through the battery
STFU and agree with me.

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 3, 2011, 11:07:02 pm »

HAha i keep putting a dot instead of a space everytime :/...The battery life is the only one crticism ,but then i guess u cant have everything

No, its not great. Last week I looked at it as I went to bed at about 1am and the battery was nearly full so I didn't bother putting it on charge. Got up at 7.30am and it was almost empty! However, I then realised why it used it so quickly - the GPS was on constantly. Turned it off and its still not great, and am charging it daily, but better than with GPS on :)

However, I've now bought a nice desk dock for it that also charges a spare battery (£11.76 including postage from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052KKAM6/ref=oss_product for anyone interested). Just need to get the spare battery now.
RIP 97 - You'll Never Be Forgotten, You'll Never Walk Alone.

JUSTICE FOR THE 97 - Don't Buy The S*n

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #164 on: September 3, 2011, 11:12:46 pm »

do you clear your memory from "ram" often?  I got the habit to do it and i can go a whole day with enough battery to play a movie, listen to stream radio and using fb/twitter and websites
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline damian

• Gregory Peck's scared of me. So is cling film. Too inept to swallow a tiddly (wink) ;) Likes the idea of straps.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 3, 2011, 11:40:56 pm »
do you clear your memory from "ram" often?  I got the habit to do it and i can go a whole day with enough battery to play a movie, listen to stream radio and using fb/twitter and websites

I clear it quite often but still don't find it lasts a day. However, I do use it a lot, can't put it down at the moment :)  All day at work I keep picking it up just to recheck my Twitter, LinkedIn etc (any excuse to use it).

For those worried about internet usage, I've installed an app called NetCounter on mine (https://market.android.com/details?id=net.jaqpot.netcounter&feature=search_result) - gives you stats on both wireless and 3g/hspa etc usage. Shows amount used today, last 7 days, monthly and total. With T-Mobile I have unlimited internet, O2 only do up to 1GB now (you can't even buy an unlimited bolt on). Seriously considering rooting my phone and unlocking it so I can stick my T-Mobile SIM in, but don't want to brick it or void the warranty.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 4, 2011, 01:41:39 am »

yeah, i'm doing it all the time, i'm only charging it at night so not so bad

i do have three spare batteries ordered thouh :)
STFU and agree with me.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #167 on: September 4, 2011, 12:45:38 pm »
No, its not great. Last week I looked at it as I went to bed at about 1am and the battery was nearly full so I didn't bother putting it on charge. Got up at 7.30am and it was almost empty! However, I then realised why it used it so quickly - the GPS was on constantly. Turned it off and its still not great, and am charging it daily, but better than with GPS on :)

However, I've now bought a nice desk dock for it that also charges a spare battery (£11.76 including postage from http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052KKAM6/ref=oss_product for anyone interested). Just need to get the spare battery now.
Nice piece of kit that!

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #168 on: September 4, 2011, 01:16:33 pm »
Can anybody recommend some software to copy a dvd onto the S2? Thanks.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #169 on: September 4, 2011, 03:40:14 pm »
Regarding the battery i've downloaded a brightness widget which i leave really low. Only put it on auto when i'm outside and it's sunny. Makes a huge difference
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #170 on: September 4, 2011, 06:00:15 pm »
Is it possible to change any of the fixed four icons at the bottom of the screen?

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 4, 2011, 06:29:05 pm »
Is it possible to change any of the fixed four icons at the bottom of the screen?

Go to Applications, then hit menu (bottom left button) and edit, can then hold on an icon for a couple of seconds and drag it where you want.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #172 on: September 4, 2011, 06:40:18 pm »
Go to Applications, then hit menu (bottom left button) and edit, can then hold on an icon for a couple of seconds and drag it where you want.
That's brilliant! Cheers mate!

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: September 4, 2011, 07:02:20 pm »
That's brilliant! Cheers mate!

No probs, re-organised my home screens and apps menu's several times since getting the phone a couple of weeks ago :)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 5, 2011, 02:09:57 pm »
Just realised if you swipe a contact right it calls them and left sends a text. Sweet.

Liveonlinefooty is ace on this phone too via wifi.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #175 on: September 5, 2011, 07:54:40 pm »
Just realised if you swipe a contact right it calls them and left sends a text. Sweet.

Liveonlinefooty is ace on this phone too via wifi.
That's very nice! There are some very nice features, offering which I am still finding.

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: September 5, 2011, 10:25:03 pm »
Anyone know if there is a way to move entire pages of icons (i.e. reorder them)? I spent ages a couple of nights ago arranging all my apps into categories, i.e. a page per category. Then realised my most used ones are on page 4 rather than page 1, would like to be able to just switch the pages.

Offline Sabbi yypia

• Too classy by far for this place
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: September 6, 2011, 09:39:17 am »
i checked with my mobile phone provider re my internet usage - its supposed to be unlimited but there is a fair usage policy when it gets to 3gb per month which will slow it down - i'm guessing that is more than enough!

going to get my new phone this week fingers crossed!!

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 6, 2011, 03:13:04 pm »
I consider myself an above average user and need about 700MB a month.

Offline DanFromMars

• Stays up all night playing cards. Henri Winterman cigars
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Indie Retro News
« Reply #179 on: September 6, 2011, 10:40:27 pm »
Just got one of these for my sister, they seem quite decent.  What's the easiest way to transfer loads of photos/mp3s and avi files to it?  I was using that Kiers air in a web browser and could only transfer 1 file at a time.  I switched the usb debug or something option on, as I heard this was quicker but still can't seem to transfer loads of files at once.
Indie Retro Gaming News Site
http://www.indieretronews.com/

Offline Sabbi yypia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: September 7, 2011, 05:49:07 pm »
i got my phone today - wohoo

noooo idea how to start using it - its my first android phone - is it easy to configure your work emails (outlook) and calender onto it?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #181 on: September 7, 2011, 08:39:54 pm »
I cannot remember how to remove the birthdays of my Facebook friends from my calendar. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #182 on: September 7, 2011, 09:50:16 pm »
What app do people use to sync their contacts and Facebook accounts? I used a great one on my Desire, but I cannot remember what it was called. Thanks

Offline damian

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 8, 2011, 12:01:15 am »
I have a slight issue now (though quite a nice one to have :)).

I mentioned in an earlier post that I got my Galaxy S2 to replace my crappy iPhone 3GS. Well, the iPhone developed a new fault over the last couple of days, where it started buzzing constantly when on silent and in my pocket. Literally every time I took a step it would buzz - I thought I had some horrible disease in my leg that was causing it to vibrate, but turned it was just a disease-ridden iPhone.

That was the last straw so, as its under warrantly, I took it back to the Apple Store this afternoon, who to be fair were very helpful and gave me a brand new looking (but refurbished) phone.

So, I now have my S2 as my main phone (obviously, as its an amazing phone), but now have my iPhone on a separate contract that I'll probably hardly use. Seems a waste really, but then I could probably only get £150 max for it (it's only 8gb), which is half of what I've still got to pay on it so don't really want to sell it.

Oh well, can't complain :)  (which is very unlike me). I suppose its worth keeping anyway as I can't put my T-Mobile SIM in my S2 due to it being locked to O2, I have (truly) unlimited internet with T-Mobile, but only 500mb with O2 so will use it for extensive internet use (such as streaming).

Only problem is that I now look like a drug dealer or something - got my Galaxy, iPhone and my work Blackberry. Not that I like to show off like :)

Offline Sabbi yypia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #184 on: September 8, 2011, 03:32:03 pm »
does anyone have any issues with sending emails on the Microsoft exchange server or is it just me?

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #185 on: September 8, 2011, 06:03:33 pm »
I cannot remember how to remove the birthdays of my Facebook friends from my calendar. Any help would be appreciated. TIA

In calendar, go to settings, calendar sync and you should see facebook - you just delete the account there

What app do people use to sync their contacts and Facebook accounts? I used a great one on my Desire, but I cannot remember what it was called. Thanks

go to your contacts....click on "more" then accounts...you know the rest now :)

does anyone have any issues with sending emails on the Microsoft exchange server or is it just me?

I suppose it is a work email?  then probably it has some security ports that you need to configure or your work email just doesnt allow it...mine doesnt :(
« Last Edit: September 8, 2011, 06:05:09 pm by GBF »
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #186 on: September 8, 2011, 08:52:29 pm »
Thanks very much for the info!

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #187 on: September 12, 2011, 08:02:03 pm »
Getting one of these babies tomorrow from Virgin Mobile - been reading some good reviews  :)
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #188 on: September 12, 2011, 08:34:39 pm »
Getting one of these babies tomorrow from Virgin Mobile - been reading some good reviews  :)
It's great you won't be disappointed!

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #189 on: September 12, 2011, 10:43:55 pm »
Had a HTC Desire for a cpl of years and i'm due an upgrade and consequently this 'appears' to be the obvious choice.
Would anyone care to agree or disagree and /or suggest alternatives? All comments appreciated.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline ncreighton

• Kemlynite
« Reply #190 on: September 12, 2011, 10:44:36 pm »
Given up on the thought of windows phone 7, so my decision is now between this and a htc sensation. I know this is a far superior phone, but htc sense is still turning my head! I'm a bit gutted my upgrade has come when it has actually, looking like there wil be some e good handsets on the market over the coming months.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:07 pm »
Given up on the thought of windows phone 7, so my decision is now between this and a htc sensation. I know this is a far superior phone, but htc sense is still turning my head! I'm a bit gutted my upgrade has come when it has actually, looking like there wil be some e good handsets on the market over the coming months.

Had a HTC Desire for a cpl of years and i'm due an upgrade and consequently this 'appears' to be the obvious choice.
Would anyone care to agree or disagree and /or suggest alternatives? All comments appreciated.
I have recently changed to the S2 from the Desire. Although I loved my Desire and I still think it's a great phone, the S2 is brilliant! Beautiful screen, light, and lightening quick for starters!

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2011, 10:19:48 pm »
...sorry forgot to ask; what phones are on the horizon?

Offline Neoto

• Anny Roader
  • $_$
« Reply #193 on: September 14, 2011, 02:39:15 am »
After 18 months my HTC Desire seems to be on it's last legs. This morning refused to recognise the wifi connection in my house, stopped receiving emails properly then later on today when I needed to make a call decided that it would stop being a phone, refusing to acknowledge any of my key presses when trying to call people.

Thankfully I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone. And its my birthday. Somehow managed to get through to a more than helpful bloke who got me a nice new White Samsung Galaxy S2 on an 18 month contract, 600 mins, unlimited text, 500mb mobile internet usage for £22.50 a month. Don't even have to pay anything towards the phone. Was paying £35 a month for the same contract for my desire so I don't know how that works out. He originally said he would discount it to £25 a month, then without me asking said he'd speak to a manager and try and get £22.50 a month for me. Not going to complain. Maybe the sales bloke saw it was my birthday today or something.

I used to carry a spare battery in my wallet for the Desire... do I need to do the same thing for this phone or is it efficient enough to survive a day and a bit on a single charge?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 02:42:07 am by Neoto »

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #194 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:39 am »
Anybody recommend somewhere to buy spare batteries? And how long would an unused spare hold its charge?

Thanks
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Terry_Tibbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 14, 2011, 09:30:52 am »
White Samsung Galaxy S2 on an 18 month contract, 600 mins, unlimited text, 500mb mobile internet usage for £22.50 a month. Don't even have to pay anything towards the phone.
Sounds like a cracking deal that when you consider that on the Vodafone website 600mins, unlimited texts, 500mb interest is listed at £36 per month and £99 for a white S2.

Offline El_Pelusa_10

• Kopite
  • Diego Armando Maradona-Greatest Player Of All Time
« Reply #196 on: September 14, 2011, 11:10:24 am »
Had to return mine due to over heating. Kept gettin a hazard sign with a thermometer when I turned off the phone. Could only get it back on if I rebooted! Think it fucked with everything else on the phone cuz the Kies didnt work after awhile and couldnt connect to USB mode.

Its gone now for 2 weeks and I have to use my old Nokia 5210 until I get it back. On the upside I have Snake II to keep me entertained  8)

Offline ncreighton

• Kemlynite
« Reply #197 on: September 14, 2011, 04:30:20 pm »
...sorry forgot to ask; what phones are on the horizon?
Thanks for the heads up :)

The Nexus Prime (by Samsung) looks to be an SG2 beater, just not sure how long we have to wait for it.
The iPhone 5 (though unless it's  out of this world I wouldn't consider it)
Nokia should be set to release their 'Sea Ray' Wp7 phone soon, that looked pretty sweet

Offline Sabbi yypia

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2011, 05:03:49 pm »
i am having a crisis with this phone

i synced my work email/calender and it refused to send any emails out from my outbox and proceeded to wipe my work calender off the server

is there any way to get emails another way?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2011, 06:54:12 pm »
After 18 months my HTC Desire seems to be on it's last legs. This morning refused to recognise the wifi connection in my house, stopped receiving emails properly then later on today when I needed to make a call decided that it would stop being a phone, refusing to acknowledge any of my key presses when trying to call people.

Thankfully I'm due an upgrade with Vodafone. And its my birthday. Somehow managed to get through to a more than helpful bloke who got me a nice new White Samsung Galaxy S2 on an 18 month contract, 600 mins, unlimited text, 500mb mobile internet usage for £22.50 a month. Don't even have to pay anything towards the phone. Was paying £35 a month for the same contract for my desire so I don't know how that works out. He originally said he would discount it to £25 a month, then without me asking said he'd speak to a manager and try and get £22.50 a month for me. Not going to complain. Maybe the sales bloke saw it was my birthday today or something.

I used to carry a spare battery in my wallet for the Desire... do I need to do the same thing for this phone or is it efficient enough to survive a day and a bit on a single charge?

How the fuck you manage that. I was paying 35 for my 18 month desire contract. My upgrade deal was more or less what you have, but 750mb data + 50 photo messages but for 40 quid a month