Author Topic: General Manchester City thread  (Read 3459508 times)

Offline SportBilly

• Of course America had been discovered by scousers before Columbus, but we always kept it hushed up.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I intend to live forever. Or die trying.
Re: Manchester City
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »
oh a random facebook group shows that they all want mancini out, ffs there was a 'sack rafa benitez' facebook group last season from a dick who ran another site, was that indicative of all liverpool fans at the time?

It was an example  ::) There were calls for him to leave all over the place
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 10:19:24 pm by SportBilly »
When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.   (John Ruskin - English critic, essayist, & reformer (1819 - 1900) )

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2011, 11:09:42 pm »

Manchester City are to offer Barcelona star Xavi a massive final payday to end his career at Eastlands in a move which could result in Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas heading to the Nou Camp.

Full story: Daily Mirror
http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-want-Barcelona-lynchpin-Xavi-which-could-clear-way-for-Cesc-Fabregas-to-leave-Arsenal-for-Barca-City-also-after-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-and-Jack-Rodwell-article734546.html
The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #242 on: May 13, 2011, 12:50:58 am »
Here's the editor justifying posting that 'guide'...

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown/2011/May/Welcoming-debate

That's even worse than the original article.  Leaving aside the spelling mistake in the second sentence, it's an awful attempt to justify a terrible idea.  And using the 'Twitter can be a really powerful medium - but it can also make it really easy for people to jump on a bandwagon.' argument is shite, it's basically second hand for 'my idea wasn't shit, some nasty people just said it was, and then everyone agreed, because you're all sheep'.

Mind you, the fact that the bloke admits he's only been working there a few months, and now 'cares about the club' is telling. 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 12:53:00 am by arthur sarnoff »

Offline Jellies

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #243 on: May 13, 2011, 12:53:18 am »
Cringeworthy isn't the word. What a joke of a football club it has turned into. That and the 'Thank you Sheikh Mansour'-banner when we lost 3-0 away. Unbelievably hilarious.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #244 on: May 13, 2011, 03:32:10 am »
Manchester City are to offer Barcelona star Xavi a massive final payday to end his career at Eastlands in a move which could result in Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas heading to the Nou Camp.

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Manchester-City-want-Barcelona-lynchpin-Xavi-which-could-clear-way-for-Cesc-Fabregas-to-leave-Arsenal-for-Barca-City-also-after-Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-and-Jack-Rodwell-article734546.html

They can offer what they want, he won't accept.

And you're losing your touch, I read that hours ago.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: May 13, 2011, 08:47:58 am »
Does anyone else think that City are going to be in a world of shit within a few years?

They've built up a culture of astronomical wages at the club yet now the FFP rules are coming in it's completely unsustainable... they don't generate enough revenue to pay the wages for the squad they have now and there's stories of them looking to pay Xavi huge wages to come and play for them? Paying big money for old players and putting them on massive wages makes no sense over the long term. Signing Xavi (31) on a 3 year deal would be very risky, especially at say Ł160,000 a week.

Sure they might make a few quid this year selling all the surplus squad players and those that are out on loan, but what then? They're never going to be able to compete financially so how long is it till the Sheikh gets bored and looks to buy a club with a bigger fanbase?

Realistically the only smaller clubs that are going to be able to compete financially are those that stick to the principals of money ball?

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #246 on: May 13, 2011, 08:53:25 am »
Does anyone else think that City are going to be in a world of shit within a few years?

They've built up a culture of astronomical wages at the club yet now the FFP rules are coming in it's completely unsustainable... they don't generate enough revenue to pay the wages for the squad they have now and there's stories of them looking to pay Xavi huge wages to come and play for them? Paying big money for old players and putting them on massive wages makes no sense over the long term. Signing Xavi (31) on a 3 year deal would be very risky, especially at say Ł160,000 a week.

Sure they might make a few quid this year selling all the surplus squad players and those that are out on loan, but what then? They're never going to be able to compete financially so how long is it till the Sheikh gets bored and looks to buy a club with a bigger fanbase?

Realistically the only smaller clubs that are going to be able to compete financially are those that stick to the principals of money ball?

They'll find away around the FFP rules just like we will. It'll probably involve massive sponsorship deals.

Offline tomtom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: May 13, 2011, 09:10:51 am »
They'll find away around the FFP rules just like we will. It'll probably involve massive sponsorship deals.

I thought there were rules in place to combat things like this? I know they were looking to scrutinise any disproportionately large deals stuck.. 'market testing' it was coined.

Does anyone know if City could get around it by having say 100 x 5m sponsors though? Or would UEFA be able to scrutinise the number of sponsors and say that something fishy is going on? 

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #248 on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:21 am »
I think they are going to have a tough, tough time coping with Stoke in the FA Cup final this weekend...defending against Stoke's high tempo play...
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #249 on: May 13, 2011, 10:06:30 am »
I'll be perfectly honest, I think City will become a parody of Real Madrid. They'll be in for the top players, they get some of them due to insane wages, but unlike Real (or like Real at the moment, not in the past) the City version of the Galactico's won't be winning all that much.

Unless they get a manager in who takes ownership of all transfer dealings and control of the club. They would be unstoppably with someone like Rafa at the helm, but only if he had the control that he needed.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #250 on: May 13, 2011, 10:18:03 am »
I think they are going to have a tough, tough time coping with Stoke in the FA Cup final this weekend...defending against Stoke's high tempo play...

I think so too, am seriously considering a cheeky punt on stoke, but that might jinx them completely.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: May 13, 2011, 10:19:55 am »
The gamble for City was to invest on a ridiculous level, get into the CL, win something and whatever the hell else it took to raise the club's profile and been seen as an attractive club for players to join.  I imagine part of the plan was one this was achieved they could scale back operations; sell players and gradually reduce wages and the size of the squad to a more palatable level.  They could have been far more efficient, but City have served to highlight the shocked difference between 4th and 5th and just what it takes for an 'ordinary' club to bridge that gap at the top of table.

As for their fans, well yes they make me cringe and they've rapidly assumed a rather distasteful arrogance, but I'm not going to blame them for it.  We let ourselves be hoodwinked by a couple of broke con men because of our desperation to scale the heights once more - imagine supporting a team like City your whole life?  Getting your face rubbed in it constantly by the Utd lot.  Looking up the table, knowing you can never EVER hope to scale those heights and the best you can look forward to is a good cup run - not even a cup win.  At least Chelsea were competitive when Roman took them over and yeah they bought the league and their fans are truly arrogant gobshites, but City?  They've been through the wars and they've still got a long long way to go before I could hate them as much as others.

This season was a cold bucket of water over Liverpool fans; at the very least we stared competitive death in the face.  For other fans - MANY other fans - it's a way of life.  It only served to bring home to me just how much Liverpool means to me.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #252 on: May 13, 2011, 03:21:48 pm »
How embarrasing is this? Took from their official website: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/FA-Cup-countdown/2011/May/Bluffers-guide-to-City

New to Manchester City FC? If you're not yet a diehard fan then here's a quick guide to help you on your way.

We all know we have the best fans in the world and manager Roberto Mancini is building the team our supporters deserve.

Loyalty, commitment, passion and, during the darker times, a sense of humour has been needed over the years to follow the Blues – that’s what we affectionately call City - but expectation and optimism have now been added to those qualities.

Success means we’ll be welcoming a new generation of City fans from here in England and all over the globe, too, and when our new followers come on board, they’ll be welcomed with open arms into our ‘family’.

Champions League qualification and the FA Cup Final will mean hundreds of thousands of people will adopt the Blues as their chosen side and with that in mind, here is a guide to help ‘newbies’ bluff your way through the televised games, with your mates down at the pub or actually at a game.

So long as you’ve got City in your hearts, we want your support – and if you are watching City (there’s only one City, by the way!) take on Stoke at Wembley on Saturday and you’ll be cheering us on for the first time in the new Carlos Tevez home shirt you’ve just bought on-line, this is stuff you need to know.

As they say on the evening news sports results round-up, if you don’t want to know the following - or more likely if you already know (!), look away now.

Our fans’ anthem is Blue Moon, a song written 67 years ago by Rogers and Hart and adopted in or around 1989. Though we don’t sing the whole song – just the chorus - Blue Moon echoes out when the players are need of an uplift or when we we’ve just scored.

If asked where we play our football, it’s the City of Manchester Stadium – also nicknamed Eastlands due to the area of Manchester it is in. It’s worth noting that from 1923 to 2003 we played our home games at Maine Road

Traditionally, we don’t like red as a colour – unless it forms part of a red and black striped away kit the team have worn periodically over the years

...Bluffers guide to MCFC

If you are asked who your favourite players are from down the years – your credibility is at stake here – don’t say Francis Bell, Colin Summerbee and Yaya Dzeko though these names exists, they are combinations – have a good scan over the club website and check out who the current favourites are and who the club legends are and take notes!

And, if we score against Stoke and some more experienced Blues (ahem!) around you ask you to join in a ‘Poznan’ , don’t say ‘Sure, make it a double with ice’, simply turn your back to the screen or the pitch, put your arms around the shoulders of the people on either side and jump up and down. Simple! Watch the experts in action first!

Poznan dance

Incidentally, it’s called The Poznan because City played a team called Lech Poznan earlier this season and their fans did the same dance – we just named it in their honour!

This is our first FA Cup Final since 1981, so don’t try and bluff your way through historical facts. The last trophy we won was in 1976 so again, get this right or you’ll arouse suspicion.

There may be the odd person who tries to trip you up with the terms ‘massive’ or ‘Man City’ – please ignore these are we are now accepting these words in general club usage!

Of course, in the fullness of time you’ll pick ‘The Knowledge’ and become a diehard City fan just like the rest of us. Until then, we hope the above is of some use!

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: May 13, 2011, 03:28:28 pm »
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: May 13, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »
Not as embarrassing as being two days late!
:moon

8)

Offline Alonso

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2011, 03:37:21 pm »

Offline Mashy-rawr!nooo

• Oordeers friiees wiith hiis whoopers!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Once upon a time.....
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2011, 04:20:16 pm »
RUMOURS are that Manchester City are to offer Barcelona star Xavi a massive final payday to end his career at Eastlands in a move which could result in Arsenal's Cesc Fabregas heading to the Nou Camp.

This was merely rumour talks. There is NO actual offer for Xavi. Rumours that is all. This could be said about any player with cities wealth.

the daily mirror as your source, hmmm. then again, no source can really be 'reliable'.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 04:24:27 pm by Mashy-rawr!nooo »
My Grammar is shit. I no it and you no it.
They're Stoke. They throw sticks at aeroplanes there

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #257 on: May 13, 2011, 05:43:11 pm »
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has stated he knows people at Eastlands that have told him one or two signings have already been made that will 'blow your brains out'

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #258 on: May 13, 2011, 05:48:59 pm »
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp has stated he knows people at Eastlands that have told him one or two signings have already been made that will 'blow your brains out'

They are signing the US commando's that got Bin Laden?!
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2011, 06:40:57 am »
I think so too, am seriously considering a cheeky punt on stoke, but that might jinx them completely.

:)

Hard to say who will win. I suspect it will come down to who makes the first mistake.
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #260 on: May 14, 2011, 07:28:51 am »

Sneijder. Fact.
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #261 on: May 14, 2011, 08:07:59 am »
Not as embarrassing as being two days late!

Hahaha :D

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #262 on: May 14, 2011, 08:10:31 am »

Courtney Love?
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #263 on: May 14, 2011, 08:14:26 am »

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #264 on: May 14, 2011, 02:40:53 pm »
Just watched a few clips of that interview with Balotelli - shame he is a bit of a nutter otherwise he would be a very good footballer. He did say he wouldn't have gone to city if Mancini wasn't there lol.
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #265 on: May 14, 2011, 03:29:56 pm »
I gotta say, ManCity was massively underachieving considering their squad. Both in terms of the points, competitions and even more shockingly in terms of their football.

They improved in recent months, but still can be a really strange team.

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: May 14, 2011, 05:29:02 pm »
400m for an upgrade in place and a fa cup final plus that massive 220k a week goal.

Offline The_Cutter

• It must be Summer the TdF is on and The Cutter appears!
  • Legacy Fan
  • And then I went.
« Reply #267 on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:58 pm »
I gotta say, ManCity was massively underachieving considering their squad. Both in terms of the points, competitions and even more shockingly in terms of their football.
I think it's too early to come to that conclusion. It's hard to get going with such a fast changing squad as theirs. People cite Chelsea, but they've been an established top 6 club even before Abramovich. Now if they just add 2-3 players instead of buying half team worth of them in the off-season and have a similar next season then I'll agree. Mancini does sometimes seem to be needlessly defensive, however I can't see how this season is anything other than a success for them.

We can take them next team though, no problem.  :)
"A story should have a beginning, a middle, and an end . . . but not necessarily in that order." Jean-Luc Godard

'I'm sorry Wayne. Please finish your cider.'

Offline SRAWL

• 'Spicegirls Rule All! Wooooh! Lulz.'
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: May 14, 2011, 06:09:46 pm »

They improved in recent months, but still can be a really strange team.

Should have seen them against spurs the other day....
"We can win 4-0 but I want to win by eight. I don't like to lose. I never accept defeat". Luis Suarez

robbie9fowler robbie fowler
If these qualify now I'm gonna do the moonwalk bollocko from Liverpool to London blindfolded

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #269 on: May 14, 2011, 07:44:33 pm »
Congrats to their loyal fans. must be a special day for them after waiting for so many years.

happy for Mancini too, took a battering, but delivered in the end

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: May 14, 2011, 08:47:20 pm »
happy for Mancini too, took a battering, but delivered in the end

Considering how much he's spent I don't think an FA Cup win and a weak fourth place in the league playing some crap football is really delivering.
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline downtown

• abbewy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for Sarina
« Reply #271 on: May 14, 2011, 08:50:35 pm »
Considering how much he's spent I don't think an FA Cup win and a weak fourth place in the league playing some crap football is really delivering.

It is, when the club has never been in CL and has won fuck all for over 3 decades.

No matter what happens from now on, he'll always be a City legend

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: May 14, 2011, 08:51:38 pm »
That shit about playing 'crap football' as a negative, what about the people who moan at Arsenal for playing too much football and not being able to battle their way through games..

4th and an FA Cup, I bet 99% of City fans would of bitten your hand of for that if they were offered it at the start of the season, they'll only improve next season, buy more, and be even more attractive now their in the Champions League, they'll be a big threat for the title next season I reckon, going to be a big fight between 4 maybe 5, us, City, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal..

Offline BIGdavalad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: May 14, 2011, 08:58:30 pm »
It is, when the club has never been in CL and has won fuck all for over 3 decades.

No matter what happens from now on, he'll always be a City legend

What they've done in the past is irrelevant. For the money he's spent this season is a failure. A team that's had that much money spent on it should either be playing much better football or gaining a lot more points than City have this season (and preferably both).

Offline mattsant

• Legacy Fan
  • SOS #9517
« Reply #274 on: May 14, 2011, 09:25:06 pm »
Man Utd fans gathered outside the Manchester City Club store at Arndale in Manchester, chanting at the shop!?

WTF HAHA

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #275 on: May 14, 2011, 09:27:17 pm »
Man Utd fans gathered outside the Manchester City Club store at Arndale in Manchester, chanting at the shop!?

WTF HAHA
For a supposedly big club, Manchester United have a very small time attitude.

Offline Jersey

• Kopite
  • Belgian Red
« Reply #276 on: May 14, 2011, 09:30:20 pm »
Kompany is boss, such a shame he plays for a team without any tradition.
No retreat baby, no surrender

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #277 on: May 14, 2011, 09:37:15 pm »

WTF HAHA

hahaha

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #278 on: May 14, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »
Looks like mancini's safe now. So where does Rafa go now?
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #279 on: May 14, 2011, 10:01:20 pm »
Looks like mancini's safe now. So where does Rafa go now?
I'm glad he's safe, as they won't the title with him in charge. He's far to negative a manager.
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"