Author Topic: Why we should keep Lucas?  (Read 269615 times)

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
Re: Why we should keep Lucas?
« Reply #520 on: January 5, 2011, 11:13:47 pm »
Birtles is a c*nt  :butt :butt
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline FernandoSusoLFC

• Has a boner for Bony. Listens on mute. broke the Flanno to Fiorentina story. may be @indykaila or @melly mellwood #incognito
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #521 on: January 5, 2011, 11:14:26 pm »
So much commitment he let David Dunn who is one of the slowest players in the PL speed past him.

what about when he had the ball turned nobody open free making room, turned back and then turned again and then ended up giving to Johnson.

he had his hands in the air.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #522 on: January 5, 2011, 11:14:30 pm »
Lucas was poor tonight. To be singled out though is ridiculous. A part from Cole, Pepe and Stevie, the team performances was embarrassing.
Lucas was all alone in the midfield tonight. Everytime we lost the ball, he was the only one who tried to stop the attacks. There were acres of space between our defence and attack, Lucas was up against four midfielders on is own more than once. And our defenders are shit at defending one on one, but were still forced to do so all game, because we can't keep possession, nor press as a team, and on top of that hardly anyone in front of Lucas tracked back. Gerrard scored a good goal and put up some fight in the last 15 minutes, but misplaced pass after pass, and did absolutely nothing to get it back throughout the game, Cole tried to be creative, but was also very lazy. Nothing worked for Maxi nor NGog, and Torres faded as well after a decent start.

Offline Mad Men

• Been there. Done that.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You never saw me. I was never here.
« Reply #523 on: January 5, 2011, 11:15:19 pm »
I felt sorry for Lucas today. He was trying to keep the midfield in check and you found him doing it alone for the most part.

Where the hell were the rest of the midfield?
This is what we do. And we do it very well. Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bM8gOyjeuc

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #524 on: January 5, 2011, 11:16:22 pm »
LUcas has played better, but he ran his socks off almost alone in the midfield tonight.  Whatever Joe Cole bring s to the attack (and I'm not convinced it's much) he certainly didn't do any defending to help protect Johnson.  I think we missed the much maligned Kuyt here.

I have some sympathy for Gerrard not helping Lucas as much as he should have, becasue if we are honest he is only playing after his injury because mereiles couldn't.

Anyways, Lucas never gave up, ran his heart out, and showed some real fight towards the end just before he was booked.

Anyone know where I can gets stats to show how far Lucas ran during the match? Thanks  oh and a bit of video of Lucas tw*tting Diouf!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #525 on: January 5, 2011, 11:17:12 pm »
Not good enough. Sorry but he isnt. 

You're ridiculous... It's our best and most consistent player for almost two years now... But it's a team game, it's about 11 players and how they move as a team... It's two years we're not that, we're not playing as a team... unfortunatly for Lucas!  No one could play better as sole DM covering two lacking pace CD as Soto and Skrtl ... The team is not there, the discipline is not there, the small details once Rafa was looking are luxury now... and people who accuse Lucas now, dare I say it, knows fuck all about the game... 

"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Popcorn

• Sore bollocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's attached to your rod Motherlicker
« Reply #526 on: January 5, 2011, 11:18:22 pm »
Lucas, as a player I really rate and like, is always isolated in there with Gerrard. Makes the lad look as if he's constantly out of position and struggling while Stevie is playing up front.

Lucas and Meireles make us look far more balanced.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #527 on: January 5, 2011, 11:20:26 pm »
So much commitment he let David Dunn who is one of the slowest players in the PL speed past him.

Could also be because Lucas had been covering most of the midfield himself.

And he'd already burst his lungs.

Watch his efforts to get back to regain possession/defend/come deep to collect. Compare that to some of the other Reds who were out there.

@Yvanicuzz

Offline Netherton Lad

• Anny Roader
  • Bit of a c*nt from Lunt (Avenue)
« Reply #528 on: January 5, 2011, 11:20:37 pm »
That's immaterial. We aren't Brazil and don't have the same players available.

He's no Alonso, Mascherano, Hamann or Gerrard - and that is the required standard.

No, he's Lucas Leiva, midfielder for Liverpool and Brazil and the sooner people realise who and what he is and stop comparing him to others, the better. He keeps the ball moving, gets stuck in and will run through a brick shithouse for this club and I'm dead chuffed for the lad for proving so many wrong.

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #529 on: January 5, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »
How fucking awesome was Lucas Leiva. Definitely MOTM and definitely POTS too
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #530 on: January 5, 2011, 11:22:03 pm »
The commentators on our stream were laying into him today. Clueless, classless, xenophobic fucking idiots.

Direct quote: "I don't understand why you've got Dirk Kuyt on the bench when you've got players like Lucas out on the field"

Don't you? How about you fuck off and grow a fucking brain then, you moronic halfwit.
Garry Birtles. I'm still angry at some of the things he said. Laid into Maxi too. And Rafa, of course.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #531 on: January 5, 2011, 11:23:07 pm »
Garry Birtles. I'm still angry at some of the things he said. Laid into Maxi too. And Rafa, of course.
He was thoroughly horrid wasn't he mate. A nasty, nasty twat.

Offline Rohit

• nol
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #532 on: January 5, 2011, 11:23:32 pm »
I like the lad, but we need a world class defensive midfielder asap, mascherano has not been replaced and you cant expect lucas to play 60 games without fault. At the moment we only have two central midfielders that able to play for us in lucas and raul, Poulsen if he never plays for us again it will not be too soon and gerrard is an attacking midfielder/ss not a centre midfielder.

We need someone with bite in midfield and im not sure if lucas is that man. I would keep and rotate him and let him develop.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #533 on: January 5, 2011, 11:23:45 pm »
Lucas was about the only one in midfield running back at times.
#JFT97

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #534 on: January 5, 2011, 11:24:01 pm »
Not good enough. Sorry but he isnt. 
Correct. He isn't good enough to play in CM on his own. Absolutely left to the slaughter by Gerrard today who proved once and for all why he should never again play CM.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #535 on: January 5, 2011, 11:25:56 pm »

He had a couple of goes at Rafa. However, the best quote of the night was:

"These players have to take responsibility. That man (cameras were on Roy Hodgson) will because his that sort of bloke."

Jesus wept.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #536 on: January 5, 2011, 11:26:09 pm »
How fucking awesome was Lucas Leiva. Definitely MOTM and definitely POTS too

with you there... my man of the match ... if the 9 others ran as much as him... it would be 5-3 for us!
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #537 on: January 5, 2011, 11:26:10 pm »
Correct. He isn't good enough to play in CM on his own. Absolutely left to the slaughter by Gerrard today who proved once and for all why he should never again play CM.
It worked against Bolton because Kuyt came in and replaced Gerrard in midfield when Gerrard went forward.

Tonight we had Joe Cole.
Why are you looking past this season?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #538 on: January 5, 2011, 11:26:12 pm »
You're ridiculous... It's our best and most consistent player for almost two years now... But it's a team game, it's about 11 players and how they move as a team... It's two years we're not that, we're not playing as a team... unfortunatly for Lucas!  No one could play better as sole DM covering two lacking pace CD as Soto and Skrtl ... The team is not there, the discipline is not there, the small details once Rafa was looking are luxury now... and people who accuse Lucas now, dare I say it, knows fuck all about the game... 

Right. I do feel sorry for him that he has Strkel and The Greek behind him how cant pass for the ball out but for me that more that highlights how average the player his. He collects the balls and then like the two centre backs doesnt know what to do with it so it goes side ways most of the time. His range of passes is average.

The thing that gets me with him is his pace(none) and its like he is still learning the game and doesnt know when to go forward or stay back.

They're miles better CM players out there and if you really want Liverpool to improve then that's a position we can improve on for sure.

Oh remember we have been poor for 2 years now so being the best player is nothing to write home about.

Still sounding ridiculous?

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #539 on: January 5, 2011, 11:27:15 pm »
He had a couple of goes at Rafa. However, the best quote of the night was:

"These players have to take responsibility. That man (cameras were on Roy Hodgson) will because his that sort of bloke."

Jesus wept.

Hope one day he find that his wife is fucked by her dog... for the last 20 years!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #540 on: January 5, 2011, 11:29:22 pm »
Right. I do feel sorry for him that he has Strkel and The Greek behind him how cant pass for the ball out but for me that more that highlights how average the player his. He collects the balls and then like the two centre backs doesnt know what to do with it so it goes side ways most of the time. His range of passes is average.

The thing that gets me with him is his pace(none) and its like he is still learning the game and doesnt know when to go forward or stay back.

They're miles better CM players out there and if you really want Liverpool to improve then that's a position we can improve on for sure.

Oh remember we have been poor for 2 years now so being the best player is nothing to write home about.

More and more tbao.
8500 posts and you still don't get it.

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #541 on: January 5, 2011, 11:30:46 pm »

There are so many things that are wrong that is almost impossible to make any judgment on what Lucas could contribute, in your way probably as a squad player. But to single him out today with a post like that makes you look very ridiculous cause he clearly is, at this point, for sure not our problem at all.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #542 on: January 5, 2011, 11:31:08 pm »
We would not have lost 3-1 had raul and lucas been in midfield together. Gerrard is just far too impulsive to be a CM in a 442. Its giving him far too much responsibility and hes not up for it. He would clearly rather attack so why not just lift the defensive burden altogether. Its despicable that Lucas is gonna get stick from stupid, ignorant, sky munching fans who will have seen him completely isolated to cover all of midfield. Its ridiculous. He was literally chasing people from one side to the other with no supporting help.

to be honest I couldn't give a fuck what anyone says if they think lucas is not good enough. He clearly is and that has been shown by several managers. Hell, Lucas probably prolonged Roy's tenure a few weeks longer than it should have lasted.

If you can't see how important lucas is to the side, then you don't understand football. I don't care what you guys say because you have been shown up time and time again by lucas. He also delivers his biggest perforamnce in the biggest games which makes it al the more sweeter.

Lucas is a steadying influence in midfield. He tries his level best to keep things moving forward while retaining possession. THAT IS WHAT WE NEED RIGHT NOW FOR OUR PISS POOR DEFENSE.

Steven Gerrard, sorry stevie, does not have a footballing brain. He has a footballing body. He relies far too much on his instincts and individual ability and forces passes when they are either very difficult or impossible. However, if he scores a wonder goal it will all be forgotten when really it should be addressed.

Our best form of defense at the moment would be to keep the ball. Lucas and Raul have to be in the middle because Gerrard just isn't committed to the defensive side of it and we really can't afford a gaping hole in midfield like there was today.

It's really sad that the country that invented football is far inferior to other international sides simple based on misguided pride.

Every game last year that ended in a draw immediately lead many callers to say we need to put someone else up there.

OK, BUT WHY!?!?! Do you have a plan for the two strikers or you just want an extra body to make you feel better.

Such pathetic incompetence and we have the very embodiment of the english mentality running our beloved club into the ground.

To all of you lucas detractors, this is a serious question, what do you think about sergio busquets?

One last thing, Liverpool fans have been spoilt by quality players for so many years that they can't even Identify a good player anymore. Its either world class or worst thing ever.

But of course that would be the easiest way to do it, what with the leaving out all the critical thinking which clearly is devoid amongst your punditry.

(It's not better in the states but our sports coverage takes itself far less seriously so, yea).
http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #543 on: January 5, 2011, 11:32:28 pm »
The lad was horribly isolated in there today.
Anybody knows how grave is Meireles injury?? Lucas obviously misse his "media naranja" (Half orange, Spanish expression for the perfect pairing)

And BTW, are you sure we are going to keep him, it seems nothing happens with his new contract.  Maybe his agent and the management of Liverpool are waiting for the new coach to decide.

well, in 26 days we will know if he stays at least until the summer.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #544 on: January 5, 2011, 11:33:26 pm »
More and more tbao.
8500 posts and you still don't get it.

What dont I get It? Think I summed it up why I dont rate the lad.

I think he has a bright future but I certainly dont think he should be a 1st teamer for Liverpool. Squad player, yes.

It's my views and I will listen to decent poster but sorry you make no case so its pointless getting in to a debate with you.

Offline El Capitán Reina

• Kopite
« Reply #545 on: January 5, 2011, 11:33:42 pm »
We played with five at the back tonight. Every time the camera focused on our defenders he was there. Every bloody time Konchesky was caught out down the left Lucas was immediately behind him trying to dig him out the shit. Must have ran two or three times more than anyone else on the pitch.  He was essentially on his own in midfield for most of it and still gave it his all. Goes without saying we were absolutely shite tonight but we'd have been a whole lot worse without a player like him.

Always gives his best. Never complains. Never moans about the position he's put in or goes against what he's asked to do.

Amongst all the shit he's been given over the years he's never once complained about it. Some of our less intelligent fans have booed him off and he's only ever come back, tried harder and got on with it.

He deserves merit for his attitude alone. Anyone that comes in and calls out Lucas with no basis for argument can quite frankly do one.

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #546 on: January 5, 2011, 11:34:44 pm »

No offence mate but that is farcical.

You could ask any midfielder in the world to play the role that he did tonight and they would struggle.
He was doing three men's work.
He is infinitely better when playing alongside Raul in the midfield and that wasn't an option so he played 'alongside' Gerrard.
Except he wasn't alongside Gerrard he was isolated and left alone while Gerrard went ahead and did what he does as though he was playing off the striker. It isn't a dig at Gerrard, that is what he naturally does and this proves that there was no instruction from the bench for Gerrard to drop back. So he filled the role of CM in name but not in practise and left Lucas with all the workload.

There has been marked improvement over the past 18 months.
He is a Liverpool standard player, with potential to improve.
Some people will not accept this because they have an preconceived notion of how he will play based upon his performances 2-3 seasons ago.
He is a good passer of the ball, a calm head in our midfield and a very committed, hard-working player, and that he is proving this when those around him are poor doesn't take anything away form that.
Certainly not the player to be having a debate about tonight.
Only man for me to come out with any credit.

I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline AK20

• Kopite
  • Fedor Emelianenko
« Reply #547 on: January 5, 2011, 11:35:12 pm »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #548 on: January 5, 2011, 11:36:29 pm »

I think he has a bright future but I certainly dont think he should be a 1st teamer for Liverpool. Squad player, yes.

It's my views and I will listen to decent poster but sorry you make no case so its pointless getting in to a debate with you.
Right back at you lad.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #549 on: January 5, 2011, 11:36:51 pm »
To be honest mate, you do consistently ignore the elephant in the room that is Steven Gerrard's inability to play as an orthodox CM. Lucas was doing two men's work today. Lucas looks far better when playing with Raul, it's no coincidence. It's a lack of positional discipline from Gerrard that was the issue today.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #550 on: January 5, 2011, 11:37:03 pm »
Anybody knows how grave is Meireles injury?? Lucas obviously misse his "media naranja" (Half orange, Spanish expression for the perfect pairing)

And BTW, are you sure we are going to keep him, it seems nothing happens with his new contract.  Maybe his agent and the management of Liverpool are waiting for the new coach to decide.

well, in 26 days we will know if he stays at least until the summer.

I wouldn't worry too much about Lucas leaving in January.  Roy did say in November that he had spoken to Damien Commolli about Lucas's contract extension.  Not heard anything since, but with Raul injured, we have have 2 fit fist team CM;s, and no other first team DM's. 

Also Roy said that he was not looking to lose any players in january.

If we get a new manager I imagine the fact that Comolli has talked contracts with Lucas means this will continue. 

Like you i would like it officially sorted though soon.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #551 on: January 5, 2011, 11:38:26 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about Lucas leaving in January.  Roy did say in November that he had spoken to Damien Commolli about Lucas's contract extension.  Not heard anything since, but with Raul injured, we have have 2 fit fist team CM;s, and no other first team DM's. 

Also Roy said that he was not looking to lose any players in january.

If we get a new manager I imagine the fact that Comolli has talked contracts with Lucas means this will continue. 

Like you i would like it officially sorted though soon.
You're missing the real problem, will Lucas sign a new contract?

Offline P45

• Self-confessed UKIP Supporter too tight to dip into his pocket and become a RAWK Supporter yet bleats on this site about his democratic right to display his ignorance. Okay.....
  • Kopite
  • Always optimistic
« Reply #552 on: January 5, 2011, 11:39:48 pm »
Id like to see Gerrard play CM with Raul for a few games, see how that partnership develops.

The other issue with Gerrard is that he has a lot more of the pitch to cover than Lucas, he supports the attack and defence, and when you play with such a great distance between the strikers and the defenders, the distance Gerrard has to cover is massive.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2011, 11:42:50 pm by PP345 »

Offline vader90

• Legacy Fan
  • The eternal optimist - Everything happens for good
« Reply #553 on: January 5, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »

He will.
He better. :P
Roll up, roll up for the Liverpool FC circus, in town every fucking week.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #554 on: January 5, 2011, 11:40:27 pm »

Yes, still... There's no DM outhere who pass only foward.. Actually they pass the ball most of the time with the defenders or players who are asking the ball, not waiting for it without movement... Today our midfielders played only attack, but no defence, they wanted the ball in the last 30 metters of the pitch when we're attacking, but did not do any efforts to cover the posession when the ball is lost... no tackles, no strategic fouls, nothing... We played as Stoke City but without the efforts! No idea how could Lucas change the game alone?! But it was all obvious at the start... 3 of our back 4 are poor with the ball the other one is average in defence if there's a team effort (Johnson) and terrible if there's void in the hearts! A team is build at the back, if not there's fuck all... and even inteligent and hard-working player as Lucas, with superb stats can't change that...

Offline 1021

• AD MXXI
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #555 on: January 5, 2011, 11:42:02 pm »

If supporters keep kicking off at him on twitter like they do and on here like they do and he still gets idiots in the ground doing the same.
He might not.

If the prospects are as grim as they are currently.
He might not.

If someone comes in for him and offers him a comfortable environment and opportunity to play for a club and manager with ambition.
Could you blame him for not?
I got the Lucas thing wrong. Will be right on Henderson though. Play him RM, play him CM - Not good enough and never will be.

Offline myrlas