Author Topic: Biggest flop In Europeon football over the last 10 years.  (Read 31460 times)

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Biggest flop In Europeon football over the last 10 years.
« Reply #320 on: June 27, 2023, 12:44:37 pm »
Pogba for sure, closely followed by Maguire. Both heaps of utter utter dung.

At Liverpool, though he didn't break the bank, Ballotelli was also extremely useless, pound for pound.
- all in my opinion of course -

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #321 on: June 27, 2023, 12:46:21 pm »
I think Shaq had a very reasonable career, 2 CL titles and a couple of league titles plus playing for two of the biggest Clubs in the world. He can retire a very happy man and I'm sure many would take the career he's had...looking at the likes of Sir Harold of Kane.

Two European Cups and league titles in Swtizerland, Germany and England. He's had a career some could only dream of and it's a shame for him that it's sort of fizzled out in the last few years when he probably still had a lot more to offer. In terms of success though a brilliant career, a proper winner. Really liked him and thought it was a shame he didn't play more in our title winning campaign.

Always been a huge player for his country too.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #322 on: June 27, 2023, 02:21:13 pm »
See also: Stan Collymore - had the lot, and blew it. :(
He was immense for a couple of seasons with Fowler for us.
Mental illness is a twat.

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We had dreams and songs to sing
« Reply #323 on: June 27, 2023, 02:55:00 pm »
He was immense for a couple of seasons with Fowler for us.
Mental illness is a twat.

Yes he was. :)

And... yes it is. :(
My marmoset, to get things done,
You fell in Loch Ness with Major Tom.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #324 on: June 27, 2023, 03:53:52 pm »
Two European Cups and league titles in Swtizerland, Germany and England. He's had a career some could only dream of and it's a shame for him that it's sort of fizzled out in the last few years when he probably still had a lot more to offer. In terms of success though a brilliant career, a proper winner. Really liked him and thought it was a shame he didn't play more in our title winning campaign.

Always been a huge player for his country too.

Well, Scott Carson's just won the treble.  ;)

But sure, I really liked Shaq too - and it was a pity we didn't see more of him.

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2023, 04:55:23 pm »
See also: Stan Collymore - had the lot, and blew it. :(

I said a week or so back that I don't agree Stan was a flop, it was his mental problems. 1996, him and God were unbelieveable, they destroyed teams for fun, I remember that cross on the run Stan whipped in for Robbie to head home v Blackburn, his debut goal v Sheff Wed, his winner v Newcastle and many many others.

One name I heard on the radio today was Tom Ince, now thats a flop, caused by bad advice from his Dad. He's just signed for Watford from Reading.
Jurgen YNWA

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: June 27, 2023, 04:55:54 pm »
Well, Scott Carson's just won the treble.  ;)

But sure, I really liked Shaq too - and it was a pity we didn't see more of him.

Got two European Cup winners medals now
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #327 on: June 27, 2023, 05:43:57 pm »
I said a week or so back that I don't agree Stan was a flop, it was his mental problems. 1996, him and God were unbelieveable, they destroyed teams for fun, I remember that cross on the run Stan whipped in for Robbie to head home v Blackburn, his debut goal v Sheff Wed, his winner v Newcastle and many many others.

One name I heard on the radio today was Tom Ince, now thats a flop, caused by bad advice from his Dad. He's just signed for Watford from Reading.

I didn't say/write he was a flop Rob.

I was putting him in a similar 'pity he never kicked on' category to Dele Ali if you see the post I replied to.

And yeah, I had a season ticket at that time - he and Robbie were great together.

:)

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #328 on: June 27, 2023, 05:46:45 pm »
Got two European Cup winners medals now

Beat an Inzaghi brother each time as well
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: June 27, 2023, 05:51:12 pm »
I didn't say/write he was a flop Rob.

I was putting him in a similar 'pity he never kicked on' category to Dele Ali if you see the post I replied to.

And yeah, I had a season ticket at that time - he and Robbie were great together.

Sorry mate skim reading while I'm supposed to be working ;D  Stan was something else wasn't he, cracking player that could and should have been so much more. With the modern way we look at mental health and the club having used Steve Peters, Stan would have got all the help he needed to sort his demons and kick on.

Yeah, there's a few, Stan, Ballotelli, Dele Alli etc who had the talent but for one reason or another didn't make the most of their gift.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline A Red Abroad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: June 27, 2023, 05:55:42 pm »
Stan was something else wasn't he, cracking player that could and should have been so much more. With the modern way we look at mental health and the club having used Steve Peters, Stan would have got all the help he needed to sort his demons and kick on.

I'd like to think so, these days.

Although, the likes of the Toney gambling thing suggests things could be better still.

Don't work too hard.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 07:06:26 pm by A Red Abroad »

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #331 on: June 27, 2023, 05:57:46 pm »
Pogba for sure, closely followed by Maguire. Both heaps of utter utter dung.

At Liverpool, though he didn't break the bank, Ballotelli was also extremely useless, pound for pound.

I do wonder if Balotelli signing was one of those vanity signings by the transfer committee, & Rodgers never really wanted Balotelli but went along with it?
#Sausages

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: June 27, 2023, 06:02:49 pm »
I do wonder if Balotelli signing was one of those vanity signings by the transfer committee, & Rodgers never really wanted Balotelli but went along with it?

I think Rodgers wanted Wilfried Bony as his first choice? And I think he said in the end he was left with the choice between Eto'o and Balotelli. He definitely hinted that it was a signing pushed by the transfer committee even though he signed-off on it.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #333 on: June 27, 2023, 07:00:29 pm »
fwiw I didn’t want to suggest Dele Alli as a flop, he was a genuinely brilliant player for a few years. I only mentioned him as another example of guys undone by something mental, though for Balotelli that appears to have been simple brainlessness, hence him seeming to find a comfortable level only a couple of steps down.

For flops I’m looking for players who never reached their supposed heights at all.  Another kind might be players who made bad moves so we’ll never know how good they were. Axel Witsel, he looked amazing but he chased the money and then never played for an elite team afterwards. Probably plenty of guys who moved to City or Chelsea and got buried.

Offline jacobs chains

• Legacy Fan
  • The fight will not be attaining dreams.
« Reply #334 on: June 27, 2023, 07:10:26 pm »
Sorry mate skim reading while I'm supposed to be working ;D  Stan was something else wasn't he, cracking player that could and should have been so much more. With the modern way we look at mental health and the club having used Steve Peters, Stan would have got all the help he needed to sort his demons and kick on.

Yeah, there's a few, Stan, Ballotelli, Dele Alli etc who had the talent but for one reason or another didn't make the most of their gift.

Back then people laughed at a millionaire footballer having depression. Thank fuck we've moved on.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #335 on: June 27, 2023, 07:32:04 pm »
fwiw I didn’t want to suggest Dele Alli as a flop, he was a genuinely brilliant player for a few years. I only mentioned him as another example of guys undone by something mental, though for Balotelli that appears to have been simple brainlessness, hence him seeming to find a comfortable level only a couple of steps down.

For flops I’m looking for players who never reached their supposed heights at all.  Another kind might be players who made bad moves so we’ll never know how good they were. Axel Witsel, he looked amazing but he chased the money and then never played for an elite team afterwards. Probably plenty of guys who moved to City or Chelsea and got buried.

Dele Alli was tipped for great things when he first broke through into the Spurs first team, makes you wonder should he moved from Spurs earlier than he did do, [& not to Everton], Mourinho's time as Spurs manager seems to have affected Dele Alli a lot.
#Sausages

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #336 on: June 27, 2023, 07:38:11 pm »
Bebe was a homeless beach player, was he not, that showed some degree of talent and then Rednose bought him and it was all highly suspicious money changing hands that was never properly explained, well before such things became so popular as today. That's how i remember it anyway. He cant be the biggest flop because he clearly was never of the standard in the first place. strangest transfer of Fergusons tenure.

shaq shouldnt be in the conversation nor even balotelli although he well under performed his potential he still did some things sometimes. Ali ony had the one decent year hes maybe a viable candidate, Nabys time with us was pretty dismal imo, but its got to be Pogba's man u adventure, he was supposed to be the very best in the world and he was lazy and complete shite for 5 full years. Proud to say i called it early at the time  ;D
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #337 on: June 27, 2023, 07:43:09 pm »

It was more of an artur type panic thing, we missed all our targets and ran out of time and were about to start the season with nobody up front. Rodgers literally was taken aback by and then laughed off the suggestion just a month earlier. 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #338 on: September 1, 2023, 10:16:09 pm »
Is it too early to add Ansu Fati to the list?

The Barcelona wunderkind's loan to Brighton is emanating distinct Bojan to Stoke/Kluivert to Newcastle/Falcao to Man Utd - or indeed Balotelli to Liverpool - kind of vibes...

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #339 on: September 3, 2023, 10:20:25 pm »
£200m record previous 89m my vote is Neymar wasted his incredible talent.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: September 3, 2023, 10:41:24 pm »
£200m record previous 89m my vote is Neymar wasted his incredible talent.

Neymar has won a lot of silverware. He could have achieved more, but he is very far from being a flop ...

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: September 3, 2023, 10:45:59 pm »
Neymar has won a lot of silverware. He could have achieved more, but he is very far from being a flop ...

Spends most of his time pretending that he's injured & partying.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: September 3, 2023, 10:52:05 pm »
Spends most of his time pretending that he's injured & partying.

He is 31 already.

Still, 295 goals in 498 games on club level, plus 77 goals in 124 games for Brazil, are hardly the numbers of a flop ...

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #343 on: September 4, 2023, 12:27:25 am »
Is it too early to add Ansu Fati to the list?

The Barcelona wunderkind's loan to Brighton is emanating distinct Bojan to Stoke/Kluivert to Newcastle/Falcao to Man Utd - or indeed Balotelli to Liverpool - kind of vibes...
Too early, lad played 51 times for Barca last year, going to Brighton is usually something that perks you up, they made Maupay look good for a time.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline elbow

• grease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boss Tha
« Reply #344 on: September 4, 2023, 04:18:59 am »
Kai Havertz. Has he played a decent game since moving to England?

Apart from Ten Hag, I doubt anybody rated Anthony in the first place, but by god he's shite.
We are Liverpool!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #345 on: September 4, 2023, 07:11:30 am »
Kai Havertz. Has he played a decent game since moving to England?

Apart from Ten Hag, I doubt anybody rated Anthony in the first place, but by god he's shite.

The reason I bumped the thread was to mention Kai Havertz, but didn't actually say it because it doesn't fit the criteria the OP wanted.

But I'm putting him in anyway. He's stealing a living. Very good for Leverkusen, but should have stayed at that level.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #346 on: September 4, 2023, 07:13:11 am »
didn't he score the winning goal in a Champions League final?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Statto Red

• Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #347 on: September 4, 2023, 07:47:05 am »
Man Utd could fill 2 squads with all the expensive flops they've signed over the last 10 years. :o ;D
#Sausages

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Biggest flop In Europeon football in the last 10 years.
« Reply #348 on: September 4, 2023, 07:51:40 am »
Benzema will be that kind of a player. He has flopped big in the La Liga and will not be any better anywhere else.

In other words, he's shite.

hehehe, didn't realise this thread was so old. The above is the 2nd post. I'd of said the exact same thing at the time but what a difference 13 years makes!

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #349 on: September 4, 2023, 07:55:08 am »
Pogba
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Online kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: September 4, 2023, 07:58:46 am »
The new Sancho story is only getting started and we don't know what's going on at United, but he is very much on the right track to deserve a mention in this thread.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: September 4, 2023, 08:17:59 am »
Uniteds 6 most expensive signings.  Lukaku, di maria, pogba , Antony, Slabhead, and Sancho.

All epic failures

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: September 4, 2023, 08:22:33 am »
Havertz is shite just like Mudryk. I remember when our fans were up in arms because we let him and Werner go to Chelsea when apparently we should've been all over it. Same thing when Lacazette and Aubamayang went to Arsenal.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: September 4, 2023, 08:25:25 am »
It's harder to name new players that have actually been a success at United over the past 10 years.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #354 on: September 4, 2023, 08:48:01 am »
Havertz is shite just like Mudryk. I remember when our fans were up in arms because we let him and Werner go to Chelsea when apparently we should've been all over it. Same thing when Lacazette and Aubamayang went to Arsenal.

I was thinking the same at the weekend.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: September 4, 2023, 08:50:43 am »

The bullet we dodged with Mudryk hit us with Havertz.

Auba and lacazette were decent for us, at times very good even.

Offline De La Goal

• Anny Roader
  • Me, Myself and LFC
« Reply #356 on: September 4, 2023, 10:10:37 am »
Too early, lad played 51 times for Barca last year, going to Brighton is usually something that perks you up, they made Maupay look good for a time.

Fair enough. But we're talking about the heir to Messi's jersey and the great hope for Barca's future. And he was, as you note, a first time regular. Loaning him to a club of Brighton's pedigree (no disrespect - they may have been decent in the past season or so, but their long-term track record is "and Smith must score") is an augury that he may follow the downward path of previous boy wonder, Bojan.

It seems it's not Fati's fault - his meniscus injury was apparently not well managed by Barca.

Not looking good for Havertz, is it?