Author Topic: Why do you keep fighting for LFC?  (Read 7125 times)

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
Why do you keep fighting for LFC?
« on: July 23, 2010, 02:15:27 pm »
Last couple of days developments particularly with the rise in ticket prices has made me think more about this.

All of it simply comes down to my Dad. Everything he instilled in me and everything he taught me, not only about Liverpool FC, but about life. My Dad went home and away in the 60's and 70's, spending all his wages on going the match. Hitch hiking to matches if he didn't have enough money to get to the aways, but always finding a way to go the games domestically. If he couldn't go to an away he would go to Goodison or Prenton Park to get his footy fix. Passed his Season Ticket onto my cousin around the time I was born though so he had more time and more money for me. Took me to my first game in 1990 and a few others now and again in the years after it, but couldn't afford to take me that much even at the lower prices then.

Another of my cousins (not much younger than my Dad) went the match occasionally and my Dad let me start to go with him in the Upper Anny Road on a Dad's and Lads ticket. Could see how it pained my Dad to miss out on the chance to take me the match, but he couldn't afford for both of us to go and had to work on Saturdays to ensure we had enough money for other things. He used to give me extra pocket money when he could for washing the car and other stuff and went round getting little other jobs to get enough money together to go the match when I could with my cousin. If I was short of a few quid from the ticket of a match my cousin was going to he would create a job for me to do so I could earn it. Used to be able to get to around 5-10 matches a year like this then as a teenager.

When I turned 16 and got a job I suddenly had a lot more money to be able to get tickets then. As soon as I got a part time job I put myself on the waiting list for a Season Ticket and was told I would be waiting 3-4 years. Thought I might be away at University then, but signed up still because I didn't want to miss out on the chance and I had then had the chance to save up money to be able to get a Season Ticket myself. Started going to all the cup games when I could and as many league games I could fit around my weekend part time job. Felt great going the match with my mates. Remember going to the Charity Shield in 2001 by myself, just because my cousin was on holiday so I got his ticket and being allowed to go a game like that without someone from my family.

It was great to enjoy things like the treble season and then even more so the run to Istanbul and having worked enough part time to be able to scrape together the money to go to Istanbul, something my Dad wasn't able to do in Rome in 77, but made up for it the following year. I got to see things I never thought I would see and I owe it all to my Dad. He could have not taken me at all, or not made those sacrifices of stopping going himself and giving me an extra few quid when he could to ensure I could go to an extra game or two a season. But he didn't, he made those sacrifices because he had seen it all and he wanted me to see it all.

My Dad turned 60 in December 2008 and wanted to get him something special so I said to him to choose somewhere he wanted to see a match in Europe and I would take him. Realistically I couldn't afford it, but I wanted to as I wanted to give back to him in some little way what he had given to me. We set out to go in February 2009 when his next holidays were, but we could have gone earlier after he got made redundant a few days before his birthday. We set the weekend and I told him to look at the fixtures around Europe. He decided on Barca v Espanyol in the Nou Camp. So I booked the flights and when I could I booked the tickets. Sorted. Chance to repay my Dad a little. He hadn't seen a game abroad before nor been abroad that much because of the cost and here I was taking him to a game in the Nou Camp. As the game came closer the draw for the Champions League was made. We were leaving Barcelona on the Monday, but Liverpool were due to play Real on the Wednesday in the Bernebeu. Was an opportunity not to be missed. Dad couldn't really pay for the extra few days so I told him it was less and I paid for more of his half. Sorted tickets for the Real end through a girl in Uni whose brother was a Socio then sorted tickets for the Atletico v Porto game as well. Seeing my Dad's face as we got into the Nou Camp, seeing his face when we stepped into the Vicente Calderon and then seeing his face after beating Real in the Bernebeu was probably just a tiny bit of what my Dad felt seeing my reaction when he took me to my first game in 1990.

Was glad I had the chance to repay him in some way, but the main reason I fight is not necessarily for my Dad, but the sacrifices my Dad made for me. The sacrifices he made so I could go the match, the sacrifices he made which allowed me to have memories like Istanbul. From that I can count myself lucky to be 26 and to have seen us win a European Cup, to go to another final, to go see us win in all the domestic cup finals and see some amazing matches and moments.

I'm still young and I don't have any kids, but I cannot let my children, grandchildren and any future generations miss out on what I have seen and what my Dad has seen just because I am unwilling to fight or just happy to savour the present with no thought about the future. I want to be able to take my children to their first match and see that look on their face, that look I saw on my Dad's face in the Nou Camp and the Bernebeu. That same look he saw on my face in 1990 and that same look all Dad's see on their Son's and Daughter's Faces when they take them through those turnstiles at Anfield. I want to be able to afford to take them and then subsequently for them to be able to afford to go the match themselves. For them to be able to see things like I have seen and for them to pass that baton on to future generations.

It would be easy for me to go as long as I could afford to and enjoy the last of it and not worry about the future consequences, but that isn't The Liverpool Way. The Liverpool Way isn't about giving up and letting someone win, whether it be Everton, United or two money greedy owners. It isn't about just thinking of your own personal enjoyment for that 90 minutes. It definitely isn't about being priced out of going by the club.

The Liverpool Way is about the tradition, the history, the heritage. It is about not just dwelling on that, but to instil those values in your children and your children's children. To steal a phrase from Catalonia, Liverpool is more than a club, but is at risk of just becoming another club if those values aren't retained.

If we don't fight for it now there may be no Liverpool Way for our children to protect, to live to and to pass on just as my Dad taught and passed on to me.

The Liverpool Way is why I support Liverpool, it is why I love Liverpool and it is why I will fight for Liverpool.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Re: Why do you keep fighting for LFC?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 03:52:17 pm »
superb piece that Paul - a welcome reminder to not only what we all stand to lose - but our future generations too.

To quote those 3 wise Welsh lads - 'If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next'
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline bigz

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 07:39:39 pm »
superb piece that Paul - a welcome reminder to not only what we all stand to lose - but our future generations too.

To quote those 3 wise Welsh lads - 'If You Tolerate This, Then Your Children Will Be Next'

This
It's like pirates and natural disasters in the I'm sorry I seem to have lost the ability to think for myself religion.

Finn Solomon 5/6/2007 07:28:29 PM

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 09:37:57 pm »
Frigging awesome read.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 09:47:29 pm »
i have daughters but if i had a son i would want him to be like you i am  close to your fathers age and it is good to know the things he installed in you will be handed down to the next generation that is all we ask that they understand what it means to support this club and pick up the baton when we are too old to carry it anymore.

Well done Paul for your actions and this post!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 09:49:37 pm by geoffstrong »
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
Great read, mate.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline thekop0071

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:52:38 pm »
great post - great read

YNWA

JFT 96
"I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager." - Rafa Benitez 3 June 2010

They ripped my heart  from my chest TWICE.
Firstly when the drove a knife into the back of Rafa and when they de throned the king both men who I would glady follow to the ends of the earth ! YNWA

Offline rednich85

• Gargantuan Wanker. Intimately linked to Keys and Gray.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay Black. That's the most important thing.
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 09:55:54 pm »
Great read Paul
"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons."

@rednich85

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:11:47 pm »
fantastic piece that!
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline Vulmea

• Almost saint-like.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 12:26:38 am »
nothing to add to that lad - hope my lad feels the same way beneath the constant show of ingratitude and asking me a for money every month obviously :)
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy/Shanklyboy.

Offline Paul Gardner

• Terrace Artist
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Secretary
    • Spirit of Shankly
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 12:33:47 am »
Why does everyone else keep fighting? What exactly is it we are trying to save? It is another way of spreading the message to more people and explain it is much more than about 11 redmen on the pitch at any one time, but the values of a club and a community and something that needs protecting before it is diluted by debt, greed and mismanagement.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 01:00:16 am »
well sorry if this sounds arrogant to some but after 52 years i regard this as my club and so why would i let some leverage buy out american con artist destroy it while i have breath in my body and a keyboard and a brain to fight against him and his little mate!

Seen worse times seen a hell of a lot better but never been so consumed with hatred as i am with the total shower of crooked bastards in the board room screwing up my club and my clubs integrity with every word or action which lacks any integrity!

And i mean from the texan bastard right down to ayres I want them all gone so i forget them quickly and get back to talking about the wrong sub used!
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 01:05:07 am »
Grandad was a docker. Turned out every week to either Everton or Liverpool because that's just how it was for him. Loved Liverpool, watched Everton because it got him out of the house on a Saturday. My dad wasn't particularly into football, more into his rugby, and so as eldest grandchild I used to be taken by my grandad to the 'Kremlin' (still got one of his flat caps :) ). Younger brother when he popped along used to get taken to Everton. I'm a red, he's still a blue. Always was closer to my grandad than my dad to be honest. He used to tell me stories about Billy Liddell and Roger Hunt in his pride and joy of a greenhouse while he drank Newcastle Brown and I'd have a shandy and feel all grownup. He'd talk for hours about his admiration for the honesty of men like Shankly and Paisley - working men who gave their best. He taught me that those who need most help should get it, and that you judge people not by what they earn or how they look but how they are.

Proper gent. Those who knew him (including several ex players) sent cards and flowers to his funeral. Church was packed to pay respects.

Would break his heart if he could see us now, if he'd heard an Anfield crowd boo their own and could see the absolute shambles two liars had made of us.

Don't get to as many games as I'd like to now - health issues and money, my god how expensive it's got. My accent now contains only the slightest hint of Scouse after moving away from the city as a lad. But took my missus to her first game last season (the Spurs one - and much obliged to the lad on here who sorted out two together for that as it was a last minute thing) and it made me think about whether or not any kids we might have would have a Liverpool FC as I knew it. As I know it. Would they go into the Albert for some drinks and look around and see the walls covered in scarves before heading to the Sandon? Would they come away from a match buzzing like it was Boxing Day? Would they be unable to speak for three days afterwards? Heck, would they mind the mad run to catch last train home from Lime Street as they'd be woollier than even their dad?

We have something special at this club. It's our heritage. Our birthright. Better men than I'll ever be have worked their socks off to give us something to be proud of. I'll be damned if I see their work be dismantled during my life time.

edit: spelling
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 02:26:16 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline ScouseGirl

• culé
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JJoanneuk is a ScouseGirl
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 01:06:51 am »
I continue to fight for our club as I love it will all my heart , its in me...............every day I think OF LFC the joy and the pain of loving our team
R.I.P Ray Osbourne AKA Shanklyboy, A Man I have never met but will remember in my prayers.

Offline Jagged Princess

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool are back
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:05:45 pm »
Like a few have already mentioned, my support also came from my Dad, although at times the way he loved Liverpool you’d think it was passed down through the genes.
He was lucky enough, eventually, to have a season ticket in the Kemlyn.  A man who lived for this club and sometimes I think that may quite literally be the case. 

Back in 1974, after we’d won the FA cup, the team were parading the cup and unfortunately he was in Broadgreen Hospital awaiting valve replacement surgery the next day.  I’ll never forget that day, he was adamant that we didn’t sit with him and said we should go and stand on ‘the drive’ to wait for the team bus to share in the celebration of the win.  I’ve often wondered whether he wanted us representing him but then again he wasn’t a selfish person he just loved this club.  The thing that sticks in my mind the most about that day is that when we got back, he gave my Mum and all 4 of us letters telling us how much he loved us.  I can’t help but wonder whether he wrote those letters whilst we were stood waiting for the team.

Part of the fight is to retain the Liverpool way, but that in itself is hard to define,  ...... does that start from its formation fighting the same struggles as the working classes it represented, is it being gracious in defeat and humble in victory, is it the feeling you get of all being part of the same family, looking out for and after each other?  It’s probably some of the above but also a bit different for all of us but I do know that whatever you personally feel of what the Liverpool Way is it comes from within, maybe for some, from within your soul.

The remainder of my fight for this Club comes from the memories I have of my Dad’s struggles to go to the games, whether through money / health problems but I know for certain that he would be fighting tooth and nail to save it.  He gave too much of his life for it for it to be taken over by greedy, morally corrupt selfish people, the likes of whom he would have poured scorn on.
"... I can only add that the Liverpool fans know the story and the truth. And they know that it is easy to pass judgment if you have been in power for 24 years."  Rafa Benitez 18.09.10

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 12:53:08 pm »
I was born in a mining village in South Yorkshire. My uncle was a Liverpool fan (60's glory hunter, I think :)) and my first Liverpool memory (or indeed football memory) is watching the 1977 Cup Final on TV, though I think he went. My first game was the 1-0 defeat to Sheffield United in the League Cup in 1978. My other uncle - Sheffield United fan - asked if that made them European Champions. I cried. Over the years then my (Liverpool) uncle took me to games at Anfield, before I started travelling over from Leeds on the train myself, paying at the gate or from a tout at the bigger games. I'm still not sure whether I was more enthralled by the football or the experience of standing on the Kop. By the time I was going to university, I found a course at Liverpool I half fancied and that was it. I spent my student grant (all that money in one go!) on a season ticket. Afterwards I couldn't afford to go for a while and got out of the habit; I could probably afford it now but wouldn't know where to start getting a ticket. I've not been now in something like 16/17 years, but (despite periods of disillusionment with managers or players) it hasn't reduced the emotional attachment and the feelings of desperate optimism every July/August.

In short, I don't know or how it works exactly. I have an emotional attachment to Liverpool Football Club that I don't entirely understand, that goes deeper than any other aspect of my life, including most women I've been with. The word 'Liverpool' jumps out of a newspaper or webpage. Banking security questions or passwords have to be Liverpool related because it's the only constant I'm not likely to forget. If I'm doodling in a meeting, it's variations on 4411 or where to play Gerrard, or all time Liverpool XIs. The experience not just of the club but of the city for the 5 years I lived there is one of the highlights of my life, to date. Without wanting to sound pathetic, there have been times I've been asked by a woman whether I really love her and I've not been sure; what is love? I know I love Liverpool Football Club, without question.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Commie Bobbie

• Just woke up......Member of the Committee for State Security. More Folkestone Fashionista than Sandon Sandanista......
  • Legacy Fan
  • #WTRWWAW
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »
It has given me the greatest nights of my life, too many numerous to remember - and unlike all of us, it should be here for infinity.

I fight for the past, the present and the future.
Twitter: @atypicalbob

DON'T BUY THE S*N

MacKenzie Is Still A Fucking c*nt

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2010, 11:22:34 am »
It has given me the greatest nights of my life, too many numerous to remember - and unlike all of us, it should be here for infinity.

I fight for the past, the present and the future.

this

And this:
The Liverpool Way is about the tradition, the history, the heritage. It is about not just dwelling on that, but to instil those values in your children and your children's children. To steal a phrase from Catalonia, Liverpool is more than a club, but is at risk of just becoming another club if those values aren't retained.

If we don't fight for it now there may be no Liverpool Way for our children to protect, to live to and to pass on just as my Dad taught and passed on to me.

The Liverpool Way is why I support Liverpool, it is why I love Liverpool and it is why I will fight for Liverpool.

My Dad was a Red. Now I am. My offspring are.

This is MY club. OUR club.

Yank Carpetbaggers FUCK OFF.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 11:30:39 am »
brilliant post mate. I think a lot of us have to be thankful that our dads brought us up the right way! i can't wait to take my boy to his first game in a few years, ideally with my dad alongside us as well. think i would shed a tear at that. just hope that by that time the club is back in decent hands. having said all that, i have my work cut out to stop him following the sheep and supporting one of the london clubs.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2010, 06:52:08 pm »
I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and in early 1957 I received a letter inviting me to go for trials to Liverpool FC. I, had received several offers for trials, Everton, Oldham Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End being some of the clubs interested, but there was only one club for me, Liverpool. On the day of the trial I was very nervous and was cuffed around the head a few times for not paying attention in class. I don’t know why but I had never told anyone about the trial and it was a very long day in school. I turned up at Melwood (the Liverpool Training ground) a very nervous boy. I remember there were about 100 boys there mostly older than me and certainly bigger. The man in charge explained that they were going to have four matches playing at the same time and would we please pay attention because he was going to read out the eight teams, those boys not selected initially would be used to replace boys as and when the coaches thought fit. Four teams were to play in red and four in white. By this time I was having problems controlling my nerves and he started to call out the teams in the order of play, i.e. Goalkeeper, full backs, half backs and forwards. I felt that there had been a terrible mistake when I heard my name called for the red team in the position of left half, I said to the man (Bob Paisley) “excuse me I think you have made mistake, I play centre forward or centre half”, he replied “no mistake son that’s where you’re playing” I didn’t argue but felt a little bit hard done by.

The games started and after about ten minutes the nerves had gone and I was really enjoying it, I knew I was playing well and I still get little flashbacks of the game today. I wasn’t taken off and finished the whole game, as we left the pitch Mr. Paisley asked me if I would like to sign for Liverpool FC, he explained that because of my age they would need my fathers signature on the forms as well as mine and that I would be the second youngest player ever to sign for Liverpool FC, the youngest being a full back called Ray Lambert. I was so happy, after all those years going to Anfield to watch my heroes playing, Billy Liddell, Alan A’Court, Jimmy Melia, Dick White, Laurie Hughes, Geoff Twentymen, John Evans, Charlie Ashcroft, Ray Lambert, Johnny Wheeler, Jimmy Harrower and big Louis Bimpson, I was now part of the same club, I would see my heroes up close and personal, to even tread the same grass, I even tried to walk like Billy Liddell. A Liverpool footballer, it was the only thing I wanted to be and I had put my foot on the first rung of that ladder.

I just can't let anybody shit all over those memories

"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Netherton Lad

• Anny Roader
  • Bit of a c*nt from Lunt (Avenue)
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2010, 07:38:16 pm »
Jesus Vic, I'm following that! Mine pales in comparison but it's a hand me down for me. Four generations of us have stood on the Kop, first time for me was mid 70's with my Dad and Grandad in tow. Remember getting my first kit back in '71, one of them with the white sew on patch that covered over half of your chest. I'm not just fighting for the club as I'm also fighting for my birthright as a scouse and I'll be fucked if I ever give that up.

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 08:10:17 pm »
I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and in early 1957 I received a letter inviting me to go for trials to Liverpool FC. I, had received several offers for trials, Everton, Oldham Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Preston North End being some of the clubs interested, but there was only one club for me, Liverpool. On the day of the trial I was very nervous and was cuffed around the head a few times for not paying attention in class. I don’t know why but I had never told anyone about the trial and it was a very long day in school. I turned up at Melwood (the Liverpool Training ground) a very nervous boy. I remember there were about 100 boys there mostly older than me and certainly bigger. The man in charge explained that they were going to have four matches playing at the same time and would we please pay attention because he was going to read out the eight teams, those boys not selected initially would be used to replace boys as and when the coaches thought fit. Four teams were to play in red and four in white. By this time I was having problems controlling my nerves and he started to call out the teams in the order of play, i.e. Goalkeeper, full backs, half backs and forwards. I felt that there had been a terrible mistake when I heard my name called for the red team in the position of left half, I said to the man (Bob Paisley) “excuse me I think you have made mistake, I play centre forward or centre half”, he replied “no mistake son that’s where you’re playing” I didn’t argue but felt a little bit hard done by.

The games started and after about ten minutes the nerves had gone and I was really enjoying it, I knew I was playing well and I still get little flashbacks of the game today. I wasn’t taken off and finished the whole game, as we left the pitch Mr. Paisley asked me if I would like to sign for Liverpool FC, he explained that because of my age they would need my fathers signature on the forms as well as mine and that I would be the second youngest player ever to sign for Liverpool FC, the youngest being a full back called Ray Lambert. I was so happy, after all those years going to Anfield to watch my heroes playing, Billy Liddell, Alan A’Court, Jimmy Melia, Dick White, Laurie Hughes, Geoff Twentymen, John Evans, Charlie Ashcroft, Ray Lambert, Johnny Wheeler, Jimmy Harrower and big Louis Bimpson, I was now part of the same club, I would see my heroes up close and personal, to even tread the same grass, I even tried to walk like Billy Liddell. A Liverpool footballer, it was the only thing I wanted to be and I had put my foot on the first rung of that ladder.

I just can't let anybody shit all over those memories

Would love to read more on this Vic, if you have posted on another thread let me know. Thanks.

My first game was v Arsenal at home in Feb 1985, aged 7. We won 3-0, sat in the main stand with my Nana and Grandad for a birthday present. With a flask of coffee!. Start of a love affair.

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19:49 pm »
Get on this Flamingo Rich, great piece of reading. http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=115020.0
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 08:25:29 pm »

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2010, 08:18:01 am »
Would love to read more on this Vic, if you have posted on another thread let me know. Thanks.

My first game was v Arsenal at home in Feb 1985, aged 7. We won 3-0, sat in the main stand with my Nana and Grandad for a birthday present. With a flask of coffee!. Start of a love affair.

here is the thread mate

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=115020.0
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline hitman89762000

• Young Glasshoppel, apprentice to the arlarses. Exponent of The Sandon's original "Hippy Mod In A Headlock" manoeuvre.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never wanting to be a transfer forum mod.
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2010, 06:18:08 pm »
My storys nowhere near as cool as vics..........Basically i was around 4 years old in 1985 saw a game on the telly and was hooked instantly seeing the crwd singing chanting and players like dalglish etc...

So i sat there watching and basically asked if i could have a liverpool shirt too which my mam said no because her side of the family support the old trafford lot... but i persisted and had a shirt and scarf im pretty sure they all thought it was a phase (they still do) ;D

its a decisdion ive never regretted either thats why im so into the fight against the owners because they dont feel what we feel for the club. they dont care if they kill it but we care and we'll stop them no matter how long it takes.
@Robbie9Fowler robbie fowler
@ @hitman8976rawk big spunky seaman was fookin massive... I saw the devil in his eyes and shit my undercrackers

PLEASE Sign Kevin Williams 15yeatr life ended at Hillsborough. His inquest is urgent for his terminally ill mum. http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/40925

a tweet fro

Offline 1-st-john

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • Support Your Club ALWAYS
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 09:25:51 pm »
Liverpool Football Club is in my blood and i'm not gonna let a bunch of cowboys take away a big part of my life, my history, my future,   like most on here  i will carry on until the end and the end will be when they've all gone and that being    :wankerhicks+ :wankergillett + :wankerpurslow + :wankerbroughton......

Offline Pollywood

• Anny Roader
  • S O S No 1416
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2010, 10:57:47 pm »
i have daughters but if i had a son i would want him to be like you i am  close to your fathers age and it is good to know the things he installed in you will be handed down to the next generation that is all we ask that they understand what it means to support this club and pick up the baton when we are too old to carry it anymore.

Well done Paul for your actions and this post!

Come on Geoff dont be so sexist I am just a few years younger than you. Get your daughters into LFC my Dad had 2 daughters then eventually a son but he took me to the match so young that I cannot remember my first game. My first memory is going with all his workmates at about the age of 5 and getting into the van with them all after the match and someone asking me to name the team, which I reeled of by heart Lawrence , Lawler etc and just recall the look of pride on my Dads face when I recited it from 1 to 11.

He never took my brother through illness but I used to take him myself and I can honestly say that I am more into LFC than bro, so dont give me this daughter  -- son thing we all have to fight for what we had and hope we can get back to those times again.

Offline redmen77

• Legacy Fan
  • Prepared to die for the King!
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 11:46:08 pm »
Great question, why do I keep fighting? Quite simply for me from the age of 7 having watched Liverpool beat Newcastle 3-0 to win the FA Cup sealed my fate. I had been a Liverpool supporter all my life (so my dad tells me) because that was what we was expected of us but from the moment they won the FA cup it became an obsession, a passion that dominates all the things I do.

My 7 year old has inherited my passion and I want him to share in the glories that I was so lucky to have bestowed on me.

But I think my reasons go deeper than just my passion for all thats LFC, I think it goes with my make up and my families make up. My Grandad was my hero, brought up by neighbours in Anfield Road where he shared a room in a house with his alcoholic parents, 3 brothers and 4 sisters. He rarely had shoes to call his own and from the age of 5 he helped the milkman to earn enough to eat. But he didn't wallow in that, he let it inspire him. He was a proud man that worked his arse off all his life. He was an intelligent man who never got the education he deserved but that didn't stop him becoming relatively well off. He always worked on the premise you had to earn everything you wanted and you looked after your own, stuck together and never ever give up. To me its a scouse trait and one that I've had instilled in me all my life. Scousers for generations have faced and fought adversity and for all they throw at us, we can still claim to come from a city that has one of the ten most famous football teams in the world. I'm an OOT now but scouse blood runs through my veins and I for one will never give up and will do everything in my power to fight for the future of my football, sorry no, OUR football team.   

Offline dwesty

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • No new LFC topics?
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 12:10:52 am »
Keep fighting for LFC because what's happening to our club is a mini model of what is happening to most countries, including our own. Leverage is a massive wave. Think about it. Huge borrowing, questionable and corrupt spending- oops we're fucked...

Instead of paying fans, it's taxpayers - smaller scale, still run by the puppets of corrupt c*nts - completely beyond the law with no personal risk to themselves. Lining their pockets at everyone else's expense. Taking ridiculous gambles which affect massive numbers of ordinary people. If people dying makes a profit, 'spin it' to last longer. It's c*nts like H&G that rub shoulders with top government brass, but if you don't stand up and shout... they have their heart attacks much much later. They are vultures with vulture relatives hovering around waiting for them to die.

End rant.
Oh Liverpool we love you.

Offline casey

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
    • HOME OF THE EXILED-SCOUSER
« Reply #30 on: August 9, 2010, 05:21:55 pm »
Every Saturday when I was little, my dad went the footy.  He was Liverpool mad I still have his prog from the 65 final and his ticket stub.  Anyway I wanted to find out about this football malarkey and why he was so into it.  My nan gave me my pocket money one Saturday and I followed the big lads to the match.  I must have been about 4and a half or 5 not to sure.  What I remember was a blue team was playing a red team so of course I was shouting for the red team.  I didn’t find out till later I was at an Everton reserve game.  Anyway I gets on the 46 bus and a couple of stops later my dad gets on the bus.  Seems he always walked down for the 46 instead of getting the 26/7 can never remember which one goes which way.  He looked at me and said where the hell have you been, what are you doing this far from home?  I shit myself thought I was in real trouble.  One of the lads from our street told him what had happened, now I think about it he probably stopped me from getting a kicking in Goodison.  After that my dad started to take me to Anfield a few games a season when he could afford stand tickets wasn’t having his little girl in the kop.  When I was deemed old enough a few years later he let me go in the boys pen.  Always with the proviso that I didn’t go in the Kop.  In the mid 60’s he started getting 2 tickets every home game for the Kemlyn stand.  Me and my bro would go with on alternative home games.  By this time and knowing he wasn’t in the Kop I started the climbing into the Kop.  When I started work at 15 I got myself a Kop season ticket and started to go the aways the following year.  I had been a handful with my dad but he didn’t think I should go on my own.   His little girl was now a fully fledged Kopite and not so little any more at 6 foot.  Although I am exiled and through family commitments I don’t get to the game now I am still a die hard red, every Saturday finds me at the computer looking for a stream and going crackers till I find one.  One day I will be back, but even if standing came back I would have to sit in the stands as my arthritis would not allow anything else.  Throughtout my adult life I have had to fight for the things I love, my kids, especially my daughter who has special needs and LFC is no different.  I will fight with my last breath for what I hold dear and LFC is one of the things I hold dear.  My aunty Bet still goes the match now at 75 and I hope one day to do the same.
You won't get me flicking on a (football) phone in.  I'd rather listen to a game of chess on the radio.  Phone ins are a platform for idiots.

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #31 on: August 9, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »
Cracking read that, Paul. Great topic and loved reading everyone's contributions.

I think everyone wants to fight for the club because it's not a club for us. It's a part of us. Part of our memories. All of us have sentiments attached to Liverpool FC which is why we care about it more than most things in life.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 11:10:54 am »
Every Saturday when I was little, my dad went the footy.  He was Liverpool mad I still have his prog from the 65 final and his ticket stub.  Anyway I wanted to find out about this football malarkey and why he was so into it.  My nan gave me my pocket money one Saturday and I followed the big lads to the match.  I must have been about 4and a half or 5 not to sure.  What I remember was a blue team was playing a red team so of course I was shouting for the red team.  I didn’t find out till later I was at an Everton reserve game.  Anyway I gets on the 46 bus and a couple of stops later my dad gets on the bus.  Seems he always walked down for the 46 instead of getting the 26/7 can never remember which one goes which way.  He looked at me and said where the hell have you been, what are you doing this far from home?  I shit myself thought I was in real trouble.  One of the lads from our street told him what had happened, now I think about it he probably stopped me from getting a kicking in Goodison.  After that my dad started to take me to Anfield a few games a season when he could afford stand tickets wasn’t having his little girl in the kop.  When I was deemed old enough a few years later he let me go in the boys pen.  Always with the proviso that I didn’t go in the Kop.  In the mid 60’s he started getting 2 tickets every home game for the Kemlyn stand.  Me and my bro would go with on alternative home games.  By this time and knowing he wasn’t in the Kop I started the climbing into the Kop.  When I started work at 15 I got myself a Kop season ticket and started to go the aways the following year.  I had been a handful with my dad but he didn’t think I should go on my own.   His little girl was now a fully fledged Kopite and not so little any more at 6 foot.  Although I am exiled and through family commitments I don’t get to the game now I am still a die hard red, every Saturday finds me at the computer looking for a stream and going crackers till I find one.  One day I will be back, but even if standing came back I would have to sit in the stands as my arthritis would not allow anything else.  Throughtout my adult life I have had to fight for the things I love, my kids, especially my daughter who has special needs and LFC is no different.  I will fight with my last breath for what I hold dear and LFC is one of the things I hold dear.  My aunty Bet still goes the match now at 75 and I hope one day to do the same.

;D That's brilliant
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:32 pm »

Sadly tried but they didnt have it in them, they will take an interest on TV simply because they know how i feel, but other than that not into sports at all, more shopping and gigs for them!

Offline fatherjack

• Anny Roader
  • Keep the faith and Walk On.
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:10 pm »
Paul that was a superb opening post to this thread, i am a couple of years younger that your dad so i remember the good times our club had in the 70's and 80's. My lad was born in 89 the last year of league triumph (i still remind him from time to time that our lack ot league titles is his fault) the first game i took him to was Liverpool v Newcastle the look on his face when we walked up the steps and he saw the green grass of the pitch for the first time was absolutely priceless. The lad was wearing his replica top with Owen and the number 10 on the back. Ofcourse we won 3 nil that day and little Mikey bagged the 3 of them, the lad has told me that the memories he has from that day will stay with him forever.

The reason i am prepared to fight for our club is quite simple really, i want my lad to have a chance to experience the glory days in the league that i have, and though he has no kids as yet i would like him to be able to see the joy on his own kids face when they see Anfield/ New Stadium for the first time.
SOS member 3252

LiverpoolFC............Did you think we would leave you dying?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 03:16:26 pm »
I'm not a fan like some in here are. 

You see, I wasn't born in Liverpool. I don't live there now.  Hardly any of my family have any connection to the place.  To that extent I'm not a 'natural' Liverpool supporter.  I don't go to many games.  A lot of that is money, a lot of that is the fact I have a disability, some of that is travel, considering I live in Preston, although that's easier these days, although in all honesty a lot of it is because I can't get a ticket.  And if I was taking a scouser's ticket away from them I probably wouldn't feel right about that either.  At the end of the day though, a lot of the reason I'm not as vocal as someone else is because I'm an OOT, and I know, as an OOT, I'm not the heartbeat of the club, and in some quarters I'm viewed with suspicion.  When I was younger I had trouble dealing with that, when I was 14/15 (I'm 20 now), I couldn't understand why I wasn't viewed the same way as someone else who supported the club but was just born in a different postcode.  But as you get older you begin to understand why.  This club means more to those from the city, I suppose, who lived through the 60s, Merseybeat, Shankly, our great successes, then the crashing fall of the club and the city. Things like Heysel, Hillsborough, that are part of the club's fabric, always mean more to those who are actually scousers. I know that.

But then I think about the days that meant something to me. My first game. Sheffield Wednesday, 1999, Annie Road end.  Singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone' and seeing my dad in tears. I never had the guts to ask him why.  But I think I found out why in the end. The passing of the torch.  Me fulfilling what he hoped I would, becoming a fan, becoming one of the Liverpool people.  I can shut my eyes now and I'll visualize that day. I can still see him crying now.  And that's always come back to me since as I've got older, and we've celebrated those other big nights. 2001 FA Cup Final. Uefa Cup Final.  The nights against Chelsea. The comeback in Istanbul.  And despite the fact I was always never at these games, despite the fact I was watching on a TV set in a northern household, I would always be there in spirit. I would always sing, even just to the confusion on my neighbours part. I would always celebrate. And I would always think of the times and the memories and everything that makes the club special in mine and so many hearts.

Because of my disability, I've obviously never been able to harbour dreams about being a professional footballer.  But I try to think that if I was one and I was out there, then I would do anything for the shirt, just like my heroes do and did.  Fowler, Gerrard, Carragher.  And then I realise that my heroes are also the fans. Those who travelled to Rome in inhospitable conditions. Those who didn't give up in Istanbul. Those who fight for justice for the 96.  And then I realise I'm one of them.  For all that I haven't done some of those things, for all that I may not be a part of the memories in the future because I simply can't be there, I'm still a fan and I've still gone through the wringer for this club.  So then I think of myself as part of one whole.  Fighting against evil.  And then I get angry, because I realise that this is my club, our club, and I'll be fucked if some fat Texan and his little reptile take this club that all of us and I fight for, from anywhere across the globe, away from me because of their financial greed and incompetence.

Even though this has been a ramble that's gone somewhat off the point, I guess what I'm saying is that's why I fight.  I send letters, I send emails, I get national attention, I educate those who are uneducated, and in some small way, even though I'm not your traditional, live-just-down-the-street Liverpool supporter who goes 'Every Other Satdee', because I want to make sure those that can and will, those that truly love this club, still have a club at the end of it.  I want to make sure that even though I'm not a local, and even though I accept the club I love might never mean as much to me as it does to someone from the city, I want to make sure that my club will still exist.  I want to make sure that the club that makes grown men cry, that deals with triumph and disaster, that has provided the best nights of people's lives from all round the world, is still going to continue doing that.

Because for all the whys and wherefores when I was younger, when I thought about my support, and whether it meant as much as someone elses, eventually, I stopped caring.  Because, when I experienced and felt nights like Chelsea, nights like Istanbul, and when I saw justice services where see thousands of fans were paying their respect to the 96, our brothers, our men, even from my television set, even from a place that isn't the city, even from an out of town zone, I began to realise we're all one family. The liverpool family. And we've took so many kicks and punches, and been spit on, and shat on, by so many, but we're still standing, after everything.

And its that that makes me sit there sometimes and ponder why we chose 'You'll Never Walk Alone' as the song that we would sing on the terraces.  After some pondering, after Istanbul, after the Justice Campaigns, after seeing my Dad's tears the day he first took me to Anfield, and after thinking about all the things I've talked about, I've started to realise why.  Because, as a Liverpool fan, you never do walk alone. No matter where you are.  And that's why its my club, and that's why I'm going to fight for it, as long as I can. No one's taking this club away.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline fatherjack

• Anny Roader
  • Keep the faith and Walk On.
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 03:24:04 pm »
JP none of us will ever walk alone as long as we fight for and support our club no matter where we are on this planet.

Superb post young fella with supporters like yourself in our ranks and willing to fight for our clubs future that gives me heart that our club will have a future.
SOS member 3252

LiverpoolFC............Did you think we would leave you dying?

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 03:33:09 pm »
Just picked up on this, great stuff from the op and some good tales added. If nothing else, it proves that not everybody on RAWK is a blert! 
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2010, 12:11:38 am »
Yesterdays enforced holiday should have helped some decide on the answer
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2010, 12:59:37 am »
Kenny Dalglish, left corner of the 16yard box, boxed in by four blues, two touches, curls it into the far corner.

Magic to see, images that became dreams, happiness. Priceless for a young kid.

And something that will never leave me.

Feelings like that cannot be explained, it's just something that hits you deep down and stays there.

I'll fight for that one goal, what that meant for me and what goals like it will mean to other kids.

@Yvanicuzz