Author Topic: Struggling with depression  (Read 629030 times)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
Re: Struggling with depression.
« Reply #480 on: May 18, 2011, 04:13:37 pm »
That is absolutely the wrong thing to do. 

After any time on anti depressants you should reduce your dosage slowly, ideally with support from your GP/CPN.  Even if you are on a low does you should move to every other day or something similar.  It won't take months.

Seroxat is renowned for being difficult to come off.
Difficult? It was fucking terrible. I couldn't even get up to stand up.....the liquid solution helped though as I was able to slowly reduce the dosage...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline ClaireW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • "If I can't dance, it's not my revolution"
« Reply #481 on: May 18, 2011, 04:36:44 pm »
Difficult? It was fucking terrible. I couldn't even get up to stand up.....the liquid solution helped though as I was able to slowly reduce the dosage...

Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to sound glib.  It can be a truly horrible med to come off, even when doing it 'right'.

Offline Enemy

• Fairly low-maintenance pritsatoixouphobic.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: May 18, 2011, 04:45:26 pm »

Fuck it. Mind over matter and I'm not carrying on for months on end, this drug is turning me into a proper asshole so I'd rather be shot. It's horrible to come off but it's not as bad as some stuff I'm sure.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline ClaireW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #483 on: May 18, 2011, 05:05:51 pm »
Fuck it. Mind over matter and I'm not carrying on for months on end, this drug is turning me into a proper asshole so I'd rather be shot. It's horrible to come off but it's not as bad as some stuff I'm sure.

It's nothing to do with mind over matter.

It doesn't necessarily take months if you are on a low dose.

If such a low does is changing you and turning you into an asshole, is that not indicative of the strength of the medication you are on?

Anyway, it's your call.  You know what you are doing is stupid.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #484 on: May 18, 2011, 05:09:01 pm »
Anyway, it's your call.  You know what you are doing is stupid.

Actually, given the symptoms of SSRI withdrawal, she probably doesn't.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: May 18, 2011, 05:41:45 pm »
Actually, given the symptoms of SSRI withdrawal, she probably doesn't.

Actually I do. I also know that weaning can have just the same effects but over a longer period of time so who's to judge whether this is the wrong way to do it for me? If I had just exactly the same affects from having a prolonged weaning period why not just try and get it over with as quickly as possible? It's not gonna kill me and whilst the withdrawal is pretty horrible I've had worse. I'll be alright.
Enemy, at that time, and now, I cant think of anything good to say about her. She's still being a c*nt

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #486 on: May 18, 2011, 05:44:29 pm »
If I had just exactly the same affects from having a prolonged weaning period why not just try and get it over with as quickly as possible?

Because they might not be the exact same effects, by virtue of you going cold turkey, rather than weaning. My buddy turned violent and he was never violent for a minute in his life before that.

Anyway, your life so....

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: May 18, 2011, 05:44:48 pm »
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean to sound glib.  It can be a truly horrible med to come off, even when doing it 'right'.
Claire, no offence was taken as none was meant. I actually did it twice and the second time was quicker and easier....
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: May 18, 2011, 05:51:59 pm »
I decided to stop taking my meds on Friday and went cold turkey. One of the hardest withdrawals ever (Sertraline). I can see why it takes people over a decade to get off it in some cases. I'm 5 days in and the dizziness has barely subsided, can't stand up for more than 2 minutes or so at a time without feeling like I'm about to keel over. Staying with it though - fuck these meds, I'm gonna try and see if having a PMA can push me through.

Wow bad Idea, I went Cold Turkey the morning my Granda died (not by choice, my appointment to get refuelled was the same morning as the funeral). I've been impossible ever since and my emotions are all over the place, I don't know if it's because I miss my Granda, the lack of drugs or a mixture.

I've been agitated/angry, late for work, suffering from insomnia (2-3 hours sleep a night for the last month), constantly polar either I'm euphoric, melancholy or going to bust into tears and I've hit the sauce (though only at weekends, but been tempted all the time) like they're brining back prohibition.

Cold turkey is not good

Offline gerrardspetal

• Rabid psycho nut harvester with no idea - but she did have some points
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #489 on: May 18, 2011, 05:59:27 pm »
I decided to stop taking my meds on Friday and went cold turkey. One of the hardest withdrawals ever (Sertraline). I can see why it takes people over a decade to get off it in some cases. I'm 5 days in and the dizziness has barely subsided, can't stand up for more than 2 minutes or so at a time without feeling like I'm about to keel over. Staying with it though - fuck these meds, I'm gonna try and see if having a PMA can push me through.

That's what I'm on too.

what's a PMA??
“You could say it’s not about being local, but about being vocal.
Kristian is a idiot.  A bad idiot.  Also a virgin.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: May 18, 2011, 06:03:53 pm »
Because they might not be the exact same effects, by virtue of you going cold turkey, rather than weaning. My buddy turned violent and he was never violent for a minute in his life before that.

Anyway, your life so....

I doubt me being violent would do much damage. My fella's a muscle bound boxer type so I'm pretty sure he could reign in all 110lbs of me.  ;) ;D

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #491 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:33 pm »
I tried that with Seroxat - nearly killed me so I had to come off them gradually using a liquid solution that was minging...

Seroxat was a twat for me too, I took myself off that years ago and it felt like I was tripping. Night mare!!!

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: May 18, 2011, 06:05:43 pm »
Wow bad Idea, I went Cold Turkey the morning my Granda died (not by choice, my appointment to get refuelled was the same morning as the funeral). I've been impossible ever since and my emotions are all over the place, I don't know if it's because I miss my Granda, the lack of drugs or a mixture.

I've been agitated/angry, late for work, suffering from insomnia (2-3 hours sleep a night for the last month), constantly polar either I'm euphoric, melancholy or going to bust into tears and I've hit the sauce (though only at weekends, but been tempted all the time) like they're brining back prohibition.

Cold turkey is not good

Yeah, those all sound like withdrawal but for me I was angry/aggitated/aggressive and insomniac whilst on the pills. They might have made me artificially happy but they changed my personality for the worse and I want to be myself again much more than I want the pills to make me happy right now. I think I can be straight and happy despite side effects, at least I know what's me and what's the pills now.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #493 on: May 18, 2011, 06:06:54 pm »

That's what I'm on too.

what's a PMA??

Positive mental attitude.  :)

Look it up on google - I was pretty horrified about how long people end up on it for and how long it can take to come off, hence why after 8 months I've decided to just kick it and sack them off. A lot of people don't manage to get off them for 10 years, my GP told me a course is supposed to last 9 months but when it's so hard to get off who the hell ever just stays on for 9 months?

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #494 on: May 18, 2011, 06:07:58 pm »
I know how you are feeling though Enemy, I don't want to be taking pills the rest of my days either. The doctor has told me off many a time when I don't take them. They don't understand!! The problem is not taking the drugs the problem lies somewhere else!!! Somewhere within that NEEDS to sorted!! Not with pills!!!

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #495 on: May 18, 2011, 06:09:13 pm »
I've been on it on and off for about 4 years!!! been on other pills before these. Fucks me off!!!

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: May 18, 2011, 06:10:16 pm »
I know how you are feeling though Enemy, I don't want to be taking pills the rest of my days either. The doctor has told me off many a time when I don't take them. They don't understand!! The problem is not taking the drugs the problem lies somewhere else!!! Somewhere within that NEEDS to sorted!! Not with pills!!!

I think if it's a short term thing pills can be good but in the long term it needs to be counselling/CBT/life changes. I'm feeling a lot more positive these days and can cope with life so much easier than I could before taking the pills, I just hope I can carry on that way through will power and optimism rather than the drugs making everything seem easier. I'm feeling pretty confident about it. I think through CBT you learn to be more positive and to learn how best to deal with things and over the past months whilst taking the pills I've made some positive steps towards coping strategies and that's what'll help me through. :)

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: May 18, 2011, 06:13:30 pm »
It looks as though I won't have that choice.....I am on morphine patches and Co-Codamol for pain, Arcoxia for my joint pain, Metacloperamide to stop the nausea and Mirtazapine to help me sleep and as a mild anti-depressant. My GP and consultant both reckon that I am stuck with what I have got and that it is never going to go away or get better....I rattle when I walk ;) ;D

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #498 on: May 18, 2011, 06:17:02 pm »
I have been on every antidepressant known to man since 1994 after spending months in hospital, I am also on mood stabiliser and anti anxiety meds.  I cant see me ever being medication free and quite frankly I have had enough.

I am off work and my employer is getting annoyed - but I dont care at the moment.

I have been diagnosed with everything from psychotic depression, bipolar and god knows what else.

Dont even know why I am telling you all this - but at the moment I have just had enough of Doctors, psychiatrists and nurses.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »
I have been on every antidepressant known to man since 1994 after spending months in hospital, I am also on mood stabiliser and anti anxiety meds.  I cant see me ever being medication free and quite frankly I have had enough.

I am off work and my employer is getting annoyed - but I dont care at the moment.

I have been diagnosed with everything from psychotic depression, bipolar and god knows what else.

Dont even know why I am telling you all this - but at the moment I have just had enough of Doctors, psychiatrists and nurses.
Angie - telling things like that  to strangers on the internet is often far easier that talking to your friends and or loved ones. I like seeing people write down their biggest fears and problems on here as 1) I get to try and help and 2) I realise that I am not the only daft twat who is struggling with a myriad of problems. Almost 5 and years of being undiagnosed and I don't know if I ever will be and I have had enough of the hospital. I should go in when I have a really bad turn but I had a bad experience last time I was in and now I suffer in the house....My wife is a nurse.

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: May 18, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »

Only thing I can say is we're here if you wanna rant and secondly fuck work, don't even think about caring about them if they obviously don't care enough about you. The stress of it all is bad enough without thinking about assholes at work being annoyed with you over medical problems. Do they get pissy at people who have babies or have cancer? Do they fuck.

Offline mikeinsheffield88

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #501 on: May 19, 2011, 12:06:23 am »

We would love your business. Punching is good ;D

Boxing has actually helped me alot, keeps my mind occupied for an hour or two and helps me release stress/ anger. Plus the endorphins released from exercise picks my mood up a little after training.

Offline mikeinsheffield88

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #502 on: May 19, 2011, 12:32:46 am »
Spotted this aticle on the Guardian website. Very good. Bit long so I will just put the link.

Disclosing a mental health problem to employers.

Job applications and interviews can be daunting for anyone, but for some of us there is an added dilemma: how to explain that gap in my employment history? Should I disclose my mental health problem, and if so, will it affect my job prospects?

http://careers.guardian.co.uk/careers-blog/mental-health-at-work

There is also some good stuff on MIND's website.

http://www.mind.org.uk/employment/mind_week_2011/employees/information_and_advice

Thanks for the links mate. Unsurprisingly attitudes seem to vary so much dependent upon the business/ employer, the employer with little regard for depression is probably less caring of other employee concerns too. This bit is particularly interesting about when to potentially disclose information;

There is no right or wrong time for disclosure. Some people wait until they are established in a workplace, while others either want or need to discuss it straight after a job offer. Being up front feels risky, but as people often say to Mind, would you want to work for someone who does not understand – and refuses to entertain the idea of - an employee with a common health complaint?

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: May 19, 2011, 01:31:28 am »
The funniest thing I find about work and what not is I'm in the NHS so you think they'd understand and give a fuck but from reading other peoples testimonies it seems like the NHS is one of the worst for stigmatising you if you're ill.

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #504 on: May 19, 2011, 11:02:41 am »
Just had a phone call from a woman from the CBT group. She asked if it would be OK if I went on 21st June. The course would run for 6 weeks.

I would have but I'm off to Glastonbury 21st June :-\

Have suggested I go to the next one. :)  Can't wait to start it!!!

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #505 on: May 19, 2011, 11:06:48 am »
No offence Gerrardspetal hun, but your health is far more important than a festival. I know thats hypocritical coming from me but it really is. One life, many festivals.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #506 on: May 19, 2011, 11:21:08 am »
The next one is in August so in comparison I think I can wait another month.

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #507 on: May 19, 2011, 11:24:20 am »
Just had a phone call from a woman from the CBT group. She asked if it would be OK if I went on 21st June. The course would run for 6 weeks.

I would have but I'm off to Glastonbury 21st June :-\

Have suggested I go to the next one. :)  Can't wait to start it!!!

I have to agree with SHF on this one. I have done that CBT and it was really good, in fact one of the few things that has ever made a real noticeable difference. I have a diagnosis of BPD which doesn't really respond well to anything in all honesty. That said, the CBT did work. I know some say that as you get older it eases by itself, but that is a lot to hope for when you can't see past the next 20 minutes. I like the fact that it said, OK we could do with finding out the root cause, but you what, lets just find a way to change the present first to stop the spiral before it goes too deep. It's not an easy fix - but what is! It needs work, but I don't think you are the kind who is afraid of that..... you can't be affected by depression or mental health issues and not have inner strength, because that is what it takes to get out of bed, to go to work, to go looking for work, to try and have a life, to buy Glastonbury tickets! We don't give ourselves enough credit for those simple acts of courage that others take for granted every day.

Nobody can tell you what to do, but there will be another Glastonbury next year and maybe if you are feeling better in your own skin you would enjoy it more? Hope you don't mind me chipping in, but I think it's good to hear from people who have tried things and its worked.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline Davvo7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • STILL walk a million miles for one of your smiles!
« Reply #508 on: May 19, 2011, 11:25:10 am »
OOps, you got in as I was typing my reply! I'm a dead slow typer.
Boocoo dinky dau

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #509 on: May 19, 2011, 11:29:37 am »
Glastonbury is the ONE/ONLY thing that I have been looking forward to since I got the ticket in October. I was lucky enough to get a ticket. ten mins before they sold out.  In fact I'm awaiting delivery for it today..I can wait another month for this CBT surely? Cripes have had my problems for a damn sight longer.. There isn't a Glastonbury next year. Who says I will be lucky enough to get tickets again??

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #510 on: May 19, 2011, 11:30:18 am »
OOps, you got in as I was typing my reply! I'm a dead slow typer.

:D

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: May 19, 2011, 11:34:01 am »
Glastonbury is the ONE/ONLY thing that I have been looking forward to since I got the ticket in October. I was lucky enough to get a ticket. ten mins before they sold out.  In fact I'm awaiting delivery for it today..I can wait another month for this CBT surely? Cripes have had my problems for a damn sight longer.. There isn't a Glastonbury next year. Who says I will be lucky enough to get tickets again??
In the grand scheme of things I think you should go to Glasto and then do the CBT the following month. I know how much and how badly you have been wanting to go to Glasto so I say fill yer boots and go.

Offline ClaireW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #512 on: May 19, 2011, 11:36:47 am »
I thnk you are right to stick with going to Glastonbury. 

I can see what others are saying, but the benefits to your mental health of going away can be immeasureable and on the flip side, to cancel could really affect your mood/state of mind etc.

It's excellent news you have got on a CBT course - I really hope it works out for you.  As I have said before, it's an excellent treatment for depression.  Onwards and upwards :)

Offline gerrardspetal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • miaaaaaaaaaaow
« Reply #513 on: May 19, 2011, 11:38:27 am »
Thank you x

@gerrardspetal - twitter

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #514 on: May 19, 2011, 11:46:51 am »
Ah, i never thought of it like that. Tit that i am. Do what makes you happy hun and ignore me. Have fun and we demand pics.
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #515 on: May 19, 2011, 12:52:19 pm »
The next one is in August so in comparison I think I can wait another month.

It'll come around before you know it .I went on a mindfullness course this time last year , and also had to miss a session of the course due to being at Glasto. No worries on that as you can always make up the session on the following course or just get the course material for that session.Or lik you say , just get on the next course .

Attended the mindfullness based cognitive therapy course , and it's helped me a great deal . Been off the ' happy' pills for over a year now , and although I still have the low periods , it's nowhere near as big a deal as it used to be ( fingers crossed ).

I've noticed a few people on here mention coming off SSRI's cold turkey . Must admit , I've always come off them cold turkey and never had any side effects whatsoever, but obviously makes sense to come off gradually .

May see you at Glasto Gerrardspetal - good move on going as planned  :wave
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #516 on: May 19, 2011, 12:56:21 pm »
depression is not a sign of weakness all the time

its a sign of being too strong for too long
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Enemy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: May 19, 2011, 01:06:26 pm »
So after cutting off my meds last night I got those 'electric brain shocks' I've read about. Kind of an odd and unpleasant sensation but they've not started up again today so they might have passed and been very brief which is cool. I've read about people getting them for months afterwards which I was mulling over at the time, it would suck but I'd still carry on. I feel fine mood wise which is the most important thing to me. I'm even all smiley today. :)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #518 on: May 19, 2011, 01:10:38 pm »
horrible illness to have or to see someone else have
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #519 on: May 19, 2011, 01:14:25 pm »
horrible illness to have or to see someone else have

You're not wrong mate .The support of frin=ends and family is absolutely crucial to anyone who suffers .

I've been fanastically lucky to be married to a fantastic lady . Don't think many would have stuck with me through the darkest times.
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.