Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 932675 times)

Offline elpistolero7

• Biggest waste of space in history.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What's in a name anyway? No, I'm not bitter.
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7840 on: January 13, 2018, 07:05:17 pm »
Ha ha. Fucking hell, talk about begrudgery ;D

Don't get me wrong, I've done quite a fair bit of fishing on here over the years - particularly when it comes to the Messi vs Ronaldo debate. Watching people lose their shit at the mention of Ronaldo being better than Messi is one of my guilty pleasures. I think the vast majority of football fans the world over would agree that Messi is the greatest player to ever lace up a pair of boots. In terms of all round ability, Messi is undoubtedly ahead of Ronaldo

That being said, Ronaldo deserves his Ballon d'Or's. All of them. Including 2017.

It was the one he deserved the least. He was crap until the last 2-3 months of the season, he was not the best player over the season. He had these performances that he's having now at the start of last season too, just people forgot about them during the tap-in fest against Bayern.
What belongs to you, but is used by others?

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7841 on: January 13, 2018, 08:03:50 pm »
It was the one he deserved the least. He was crap until the last 2-3 months of the season, he was not the best player over the season. He had these performances that he's having now at the start of last season too, just people forgot about them during the tap-in fest against Bayern.

Madrid played 60 games in the 2016/2017 season en route to winning 4 trophies. One of the most successful seasons in their history

Genuine question, how many of those 60 games did you actually watch?

Be honest now. Outside of the tap-in fest against Bayern, and the CL final, how many other games did you look at?

I'm not suggesting that you're not entitled to your opinion, I'm just curious how much you actually watched to conclude that Ronaldo was crap until the last 2 months of the season
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7842 on: January 13, 2018, 08:07:12 pm »
Madrid played 60 games in the 2016/2017 season en route to winning 4 trophies. One of the most successful seasons in their history

Genuine question, how many of those 60 games did you actually watch?

Be honest now. Outside of the tap-in fest against Bayern, and the CL final, how many other games did you look at?

I'm not suggesting that you're not entitled to your opinion, I'm just curious how much you actually watched to conclude that Ronaldo was crap until the last 2 months of the season

12-15 to be honest. He didn't impress me overall in many, though he was clincial in a fair few. Great goalscorer, not great player.

The earlier part of the season, he was really, really average.

Like Salah scores a lot, but he's been devastating with his dribbling, and has been great in general play. Ronaldo was nowhere near that in the first half of last season. Just some solid tap ins and penalites, with a couple of quality goals thrown in.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7843 on: January 13, 2018, 08:16:56 pm »
12-15 to be honest. He didn't impress me overall in many, though he was clincial in a fair few. Great goalscorer, not great player.

The earlier part of the season, he was really, really average.

Like Salah scores a lot, but he's been devastating with his dribbling, and has been great in general play. Ronaldo was nowhere near that in the first half of last season. Just some solid tap ins and penalites, with a couple of quality goals thrown in.

12 to 15 games? That's less than a quarter of the games they played all season.

That's hardly enough to conclude with certainty that he was crap until the last 2 months of the season, wouldn't you agree?

One last genuine question if I may:

Assuming Ronaldo had been injured all of last season, do you still think Madrid would have won 4 trophies?
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7844 on: January 13, 2018, 08:22:09 pm »
You could apply to that to 4 or 5 Madrid players.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7845 on: January 13, 2018, 08:24:13 pm »
12 to 15 games? That's less than a quarter of the games they played all season.

That's hardly enough to conclude with certainty that he was crap until the last 2 months of the season, wouldn't you agree?

One last genuine question if I may:

Assuming Ronaldo had been injured all of last season, do you still think Madrid would have won 4 trophies?

Nope, not 4. Same could be said of Modric or Kroos I guess.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7846 on: January 13, 2018, 08:40:11 pm »
You could apply to that to 4 or 5 Madrid players.

You probably could.

That being said, 42 goals in 46 appearances is quite a high return, wouldn't you agree?

I understand goal stats alone can be somewhat misleading at times, but Ronaldo's numbers aren't those of your typical player

Even if you combined Benzema's and Morata's goals last season (39), Ronaldo still outscored their combined total

When you factor in that Madrid won their domestic league, the Champions league, and the World club championships, I find it hard to buy into the notion that Ronaldo didn't deserve his Ballon d'Or

He did.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #7847 on: January 13, 2018, 08:43:19 pm »
Nope, not 4. Same could be said of Modric or Kroos I guess.

Can't say I agree.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7848 on: January 13, 2018, 09:16:08 pm »
You probably could.

That being said, 42 goals in 46 appearances is quite a high return, wouldn't you agree?

I understand goal stats alone can be somewhat misleading at times, but Ronaldo's numbers aren't those of your typical player

Even if you combined Benzema's and Morata's goals last season (39), Ronaldo still outscored their combined total

When you factor in that Madrid won their domestic league, the Champions league, and the World club championships, I find it hard to buy into the notion that Ronaldo didn't deserve his Ballon d'Or

He did.

Its not the who scored the most goals for the team which won trophies award. That's a terrible way of judging the best player in the world. I never denied that his goalscoring return is great - he's a great poacher of goals. Like RVN was.

Morata and Benzema both play in the same position...one played instead of the other, and they rarely played together, that is a very misleading use of stats.

No denying Ronaldo is a phenomenal goalscorer.

Fact is Messi scored just as many in the last 5 years, has assisted more, and Ronaldo has not been 'better' than him for 4 of those years. That was my argument.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:21:17 pm by torbenpiechnik19 »

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7849 on: January 13, 2018, 09:19:08 pm »
Can't say I agree.

A big part of Madrid's struggle is their failure to dominate from midfield - Kroos and Modric aren't playing to last years standards.

Unlike Messi, Ronaldo can't go deep and take charge of a game from there. He's been a highlights reel player for 3-4 years now, great poacher, nothing more.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7850 on: January 16, 2018, 03:26:12 pm »
Can someone give an anatomy and autopsy of that free kick against R Sociedad? It looked like it was floating and lobbed. Yet the 'keeper did not move. Was it poor keeping? Messi did not seem to blast the all; so what was it that made it a goal?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7851 on: January 16, 2018, 03:40:24 pm »
Can someone give an anatomy and autopsy of that free kick against R Sociedad? It looked like it was floating and lobbed. Yet the 'keeper did not move. Was it poor keeping? Messi did not seem to blast the all; so what was it that made it a goal?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oV-Q_6UjaQg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oV-Q_6UjaQg</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7852 on: January 16, 2018, 03:45:17 pm »

Had a lot of dip on it so was quite deceptive but it's terrible keeping. I'd be fuming if our keeper didn't anticipate the dip and just watched it sail in.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7853 on: January 16, 2018, 08:46:09 pm »
Had a lot of dip on it so was quite deceptive but it's terrible keeping. I'd be fuming if our keeper didn't anticipate the dip and just watched it sail in.

What a surprise :lmao

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7854 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:05 pm »
Shut it Lionel SMASHerano  ;D

Jokes aside, wouldn't you want more from the keeper in that situation?

Offline SMASHerano

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7855 on: January 16, 2018, 08:59:26 pm »
Shut it Lionel SMASHerano  ;D

Jokes aside, wouldn't you want more from the keeper in that situation?

I definitely would, but I wouldn't call it terrible keeping :D The ball was very tricky.

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7856 on: January 16, 2018, 09:15:12 pm »
Most of the goals are somebody's mistake. Left back, right back, goalie etc. Rarely, if ever, there is a goal and there is nobody to blame for it.

I'd say this, most players would hit the target from that distance with that pace. Some hit and hope, a la Roberto Carlos, some just decide to cross.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7857 on: January 16, 2018, 09:24:46 pm »
Most of the goals are somebody's mistake. Left back, right back, goalie etc. Rarely, if ever, there is a goal and there is nobody to blame for it.

I'd say this, most players would hit the target from that distance with that pace. Some hit and hope, a la Roberto Carlos, some just decide to cross.

Nah. cRonaldo would pick his spot, hit it and score. Against a faultless Neuer. In a CL knockout.

Spoiler

Just pulling your chain lads ;D

[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7858 on: January 18, 2018, 12:15:06 pm »
He's pretty crap at penalties ain't he.

"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7859 on: January 18, 2018, 01:02:41 pm »
3/6 penalties.

Give it Luiseh tll end of the season.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7860 on: January 18, 2018, 01:04:10 pm »
He's pretty crap at penalties ain't he.

He should ask if he can take them from 30 yards away  ;D

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7861 on: January 18, 2018, 02:19:03 pm »
It would be interesting to know how many penalties Messi has given to a fellow team member when on the pitch, compared to how many times Ronaldo has done the same.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7862 on: January 18, 2018, 02:47:58 pm »
It would be interesting to know how many penalties Messi has given to a fellow team member when on the pitch, compared to how many times Ronaldo has done the same.

Must.....not......mention.....the......fact......that....Ronaldo.....has.......a........better.....penalty......scoring.....ratio.......than......Messi.......so.......there's.........more........reason.......for.........Messi.........to.......let.....someone.........else........take......penalties..........I.......better........not........say.......anything.......though........because..........the........obsessed.........lunatics.........in........here.........will.......have......a........breakdown........

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7863 on: January 18, 2018, 03:36:29 pm »
Must.....not......mention.....the......fact......that....Ronaldo.....has.......a........better.....penalty......scoring.....ratio.......than......Messi.......so.......there's.........more........reason.......for.........Messi.........to.......let.....someone.........else........take......penalties..........I.......better........not........say.......anything.......though........because..........the........obsessed.........lunatics.........in........here.........will.......have......a........breakdown........

So you want to bring up Cronaldo on a Messi thread, again, but other people are obsessed lunatics?

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7864 on: January 18, 2018, 03:40:02 pm »
So you want to bring up Cronaldo on a Messi thread, again, but other people are obsessed lunatics?

I didn't bring him up mate :thumbup

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7865 on: January 18, 2018, 04:48:02 pm »

He used to let Neymar take them quite a bit.  Suarez would also take them if he was on a hat trick or hadn't scored in a while. 

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7866 on: January 18, 2018, 06:19:00 pm »
He is named Penaldo for a reason.

And the reason isn't solely because he dives a lot, though that contributes to it.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7867 on: March 4, 2018, 03:50:48 pm »
« Last Edit: March 4, 2018, 04:47:21 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7868 on: March 4, 2018, 05:52:37 pm »
Not against Liverpool...
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7869 on: March 4, 2018, 06:49:42 pm »
A trophy just under every 25 games. Not bad.

Offline elpistolero7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7870 on: March 4, 2018, 07:15:42 pm »
After 27 games, Messi leads La Liga in

Goals
Assists
Passes before the assist
Shots on goal
Completed dribbles
Chances created

But grease boy will score 2 penalties against PSG and two tap ins in the quarters to secure his 6th Ballon D'or.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7871 on: March 4, 2018, 10:09:37 pm »
After 27 games, Messi leads La Liga in

Goals
Assists
Passes before the assist
Shots on goal
Completed dribbles
Chances created

But grease boy will score 2 penalties against PSG and two tap ins in the quarters to secure his 6th Ballon D'or.

The Goat

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7872 on: March 4, 2018, 10:33:12 pm »
The Goat

I know he's really good at footy but I'm quite sure he's still human

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7873 on: March 4, 2018, 10:46:54 pm »
He's the greatest ever.

And he still has another 5-6 years left.

When do we expect when the time comes and his legs go and his scoring rate goes down and he becomes a pure playmaker in a deeper role in the Iniesta/Zidane/Totti/Riquelme mold.

I know he has ambitions of playing for Newells,but i expect him to be bossing  it still at Barca until  he's 37-38 years old.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7874 on: March 4, 2018, 10:50:05 pm »
Not against Liverpool...
Exactly. Overrated..

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7875 on: March 5, 2018, 12:30:18 am »
Not against Liverpool...

Messi got Arbeloa'd if I remember correctly ;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline SMASHerano

• Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7876 on: March 6, 2018, 12:20:18 pm »
He's the greatest ever.

And he still has another 5-6 years left.

When do we expect when the time comes and his legs go and his scoring rate goes down and he becomes a pure playmaker in a deeper role in the Iniesta/Zidane/Totti/Riquelme mold.

I know he has ambitions of playing for Newells,but i expect him to be bossing  it still at Barca until  he's 37-38 years old.

I think he's the best playmaker in the world already.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7877 on: March 7, 2018, 09:51:23 am »
He is the best footballer I have seen in my life.
(Ronaldinho was more exciting though! Sorry to bring that up).

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7878 on: March 7, 2018, 10:20:37 am »
Leo is pure joy, I could never tire of watching him

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7879 on: March 7, 2018, 10:24:03 am »
He's always been a great free kick taker but he's now upped it a notch. 25 meters out, it's like awarding him a penalty.