Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 928034 times)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7880 on: March 7, 2018, 12:03:18 pm »
He's always been a great free kick taker but he's now upped it a notch. 25 meters out, it's like awarding him a penalty.

He's better at free kicks than penalties,tbf.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7881 on: March 14, 2018, 09:45:00 pm »
Genuinely can't fathom how anyone can think he's not the best player of his era at very least

His game goes so far beyond the goals

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7882 on: March 14, 2018, 09:58:09 pm »
Agree. I hope Argentina win World Cup so that this can be put to bed.

We are nearing the stage where you should not be allowed an opinion that disputes that Messi is the greatest of his era.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7883 on: March 14, 2018, 10:59:35 pm »

100th Champions League goal tonight - in 123 CL games.

(according to Opta - https://twitter.com/OptaJoe/status/974032556680196096)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7884 on: March 14, 2018, 11:06:20 pm »
Faster than Ronaldo to 100 goals in the CL. So he's also beating him at the only thing he's good at.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7885 on: March 15, 2018, 12:04:59 am »
Faster than Ronaldo to 100 goals in the CL. So he's also beating him at the only thing he's good at.

Not gonna turn this into another Messi v Ronaldo debate but context does need to be applied with these figures. Ronaldo got 4 in first 32 champions league games at start of his career when he was low end product show pony

Since 2007-2008 he has 114 goals in 119 appearances, top scored the last 5 seasons, outtscored Messi 40-16 in games from 1/4 final onwards, highest and second highest single season goal tally in CL history and he has the hardware for his efforts (4 titles each).

Messi is the GOAT for me but he still bends the knee to Ronaldo in the CL.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 12:08:07 am by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7886 on: March 15, 2018, 09:46:08 am »
Ronaldo got 4 in first 32 champions league games at start of his career when he was low end product show pony

So what? Why should this be used to discredit Messi's achievement of reaching 100 goals in fewer games?

Since 2007-2008 he has 114 goals in 119 appearances, top scored the last 5 seasons, outtscored Messi 40-16 in games from 1/4 final onwards

Right, so in order to back-up your case your excluding games prior to 2007 and games before 1/4 finals. Seems like your comparison is weighted towards one rather than the other.

Offline SMASHerano

• Provides nothing extra. Average poster.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool 6-1 London
« Reply #7887 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:28 am »
Not gonna turn this into another Messi v Ronaldo debate but context does need to be applied with these figures. Ronaldo got 4 in first 32 champions league games at start of his career when he was low end product show pony

Since 2007-2008 he has 114 goals in 119 appearances, top scored the last 5 seasons, outtscored Messi 40-16 in games from 1/4 final onwards, highest and second highest single season goal tally in CL history and he has the hardware for his efforts (4 titles each).

Interested to know how many Messi has scored in his first 32 games?

Unfortunately, Ronaldo didn't start playing in the CL since 2007/2008 so we can not disregard his record in the games he played before that period.

Lionel Messi took 14 fewer apps, 1758 fewer minutes and 266 fewer shots to score his 100th Champions League goal than Cristiano Ronaldo. Yet he bends the knee for him? :lmao

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7888 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:18 pm »
Messi got there in fewer games. This is an induspitable fact.

I'm just saying that Ronaldo used to be a 4 goal a season player and so that will effect his earlier stats. Messi has always been a good goalscorer before transforming into an otherworldly won. The 32 games I refer to were the amount he played in his first 4 seasons at Man Utd.

I noted the 1/4 final and later goals for the same reason that people note Lukaku's lack of goals against the top 6.

I shouldn't have used such evocative language but I've been quoted so no point amending. Ronaldo is currently king in CL, but Messi is the GOAT
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 01:13:27 pm by Clayton Bigsby »

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7889 on: March 15, 2018, 01:09:01 pm »
Interested to know how many Messi has scored in his first 32 games?

Unfortunately, Ronaldo didn't start playing in the CL since 2007/2008 so we can not disregard his record in the games he played before that period.

Lionel Messi took 14 fewer apps, 1758 fewer minutes and 266 fewer shots to score his 100th Champions League goal than Cristiano Ronaldo. Yet he bends the knee for him? :lmao
man, you said messi was beating him in "the only thing he's good at"  :D
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7890 on: March 15, 2018, 01:38:48 pm »

They've won the same amount of CLs? Messi has a far bigger impact on his teams runs than Ronaldo who is just there to finish goals.

In the season they beat Atletico for example it was often Modric and Di Maria who had starring performances particularly in the final where Ronaldo was completely shut out. Messi scores the goals but he also has the big moments, the all round performances that stick in ones head for a lifetime, and it's why he is the greatest he does everything and everything better than everyone else. He is the creator, he is the lynchpin, the player who offers penetration, the player who playmakes, and who finished the chances, the words read out like something of a footballing deity.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #7891 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:35 pm »
It is hard not to turn this into a Messi vs Ronaldo debate.

If Barca and Madrid were to trade Messi and Ronaldo to each other. Which set of fans do you think would be the happier ones. I rest my case.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7892 on: March 15, 2018, 01:45:54 pm »
Bang average :-)

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7893 on: March 15, 2018, 01:50:03 pm »
He's the best player in history of football. Although he plays for a club that i strongly dislike, therefore i can't always enjoy his magic, but yeah, he's better than Maradona,Pele,both Ronaldos etc, and i don't think we'll see someone like him in the next 50 years at least.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7894 on: March 15, 2018, 01:54:41 pm »
They've won the same amount of CLs? Messi has a far bigger impact on his teams runs than Ronaldo who is just there to finish goals.

If you want to be even handed when discussing the pair of them you have to acknowledge that Messi was only tangibly involved in 3 Barcelona CL triumphs. He made a few group appearances in 2006. There were at least 11 Barca players who contributed more to the 2006 victory than Messi.

For all Ronaldo's faults, he was involved heavily in all 4 of his CL victories.

(Not saying Ronaldo's a better player, he's not)

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7895 on: March 15, 2018, 02:09:00 pm »
There is also an interesting stat not many people know about that says Ronaldo has scored 40 goals in decisive stages of CL (counting from quarters onwards), as opposed to Messi's 16.

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #7896 on: March 15, 2018, 02:14:05 pm »

He doesn't move like a goat or eat like a goat or talk like a goat

Offline Danny Boy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7897 on: March 15, 2018, 02:18:46 pm »
Ally McCoist made a good joke this morning saying of his 100 CL goals, only 4 were with his head...if only he could head  ;D ;D

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #7898 on: March 15, 2018, 02:41:26 pm »
Ally McCoist made a good joke this morning saying of his 100 CL goals, only 4 were with his head...if only he could head  ;D ;D

One of those headed goals was the nail in the coffin in the final though. A moment I will never forget, sat next to my Man U supporting friend, trying to appear sympathetic while keeping a grin off my face.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7899 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:38 pm »
He's a level above everyone to me, either still playing, who played at the same time, or who came before.

No-one has ever been able to score, assist, pass, dribble, read the game, play in multiple positions to the level that Messi can. It's indisputable for me. Like, if you even start trying to say that anyone's better I'm switching off from the argument. It's clear as day to my eyes.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #7900 on: March 15, 2018, 03:02:19 pm »
Have a sneaky feeling Messi has scored tens of goals like his second one (which is a really good goal cause while he took just two touches he also took 3 Chelsea players out of that play)  aka through the keeper's legs but really not much their fault.

I would mention the first too but it's more of Courtois fault.

Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7901 on: March 15, 2018, 03:14:09 pm »

If Barca and Madrid were to trade Messi and Ronaldo to each other. Which set of fans do you think would be the happier ones. I rest my case.

Not really that hard. In fact, I struggle to see how it can be considered a debate at all.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7902 on: March 15, 2018, 03:15:38 pm »
He's a level above everyone to me, either still playing, who played at the same time, or who came before.

No-one has ever been able to score, assist, pass, dribble, read the game, play in multiple positions to the level that Messi can. It's indisputable for me. Like, if you even start trying to say that anyone's better I'm switching off from the argument. It's clear as day to my eyes.

What RONALDINHO could do with a ball peak Messi wouldn't even try. 

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7903 on: March 15, 2018, 03:18:51 pm »

You do know those ads were fake, right?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7904 on: March 15, 2018, 03:20:35 pm »
You do know those ads were fake, right?

;D

Nothing fake about it Corky.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7905 on: March 15, 2018, 03:54:11 pm »
It's the sheer consistency for me which goes back over 10 years.
Since 08-09 his lowest number of games is 46 in 13/14.
His lowest goals season was 08/09 with a mere 38.
Since then he's had a 73, a 60, 3 in the 50's and 3 in the 40's in terms of goals scored.
In 4 of the 10 seasons he's scored at a rate of more than 1 a game.

It's phenomenal in the true sense rather than the Bobby Brownshoes sense.

He's shite at pens though  ;)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7906 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:38 pm »

There was a quote from Ronaldhinho that went along the lines of "Best player in the world?  I'm not even the best player at Barcelona"

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7907 on: March 15, 2018, 05:19:28 pm »
There was a quote from Ronaldhinho that went along the lines of "Best player in the world?  I'm not even the best player at Barcelona"

A nice, humble man. Unlike others.

He played the game like how we ALL wish we could play and attempted to play in the parks.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7908 on: March 15, 2018, 05:33:33 pm »
I preferred watching Dinho. As someone once put it, "Messi does what every other player does except he does it better. Ronaldinho does what no other footballer even thinks about doing".

No getting away from the fact that Messi's better though.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7909 on: March 15, 2018, 05:45:30 pm »
My favourite Ronaldinho moment was this...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BI2ALsvjWNU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BI2ALsvjWNU</a>

Not typical, but bang, fuck you, John Terry.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7910 on: March 15, 2018, 05:49:24 pm »

Seems so strange seeing Victor Valdes with hair ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7911 on: March 15, 2018, 05:50:36 pm »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BI2ALsvjWNU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BI2ALsvjWNU</a>

Not typical, but bang, fuck you, John Terry.

Great shout, that often gets lost behind his other fantastic Chelsea goal. One of the many things that separated him from other flair players - he was built like a brick shithouse. 14 stone of England's Brave JT flying into him and bouncing straight back off.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7912 on: March 15, 2018, 10:23:04 pm »
Lionel Messi's second vs Chelsea last night took him one ahead of Stoke for goals in the 2010s (445 vs 444).

Offline El Ninos Black Eye

• Legacy Fan
  • What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
« Reply #7913 on: March 15, 2018, 10:27:19 pm »
Just got ticket for me and my lad to watch Italy v Argentina at the Etihad next Friday. Only reason I’m going is to watch this little magician and be able to sit back, relax and enjoy watching him in the flesh. As if we get Barca in the Champs League I won’t be able to enjoy his talents, as I won’t want him to get the ball
"I'm being watched by the Secret Police and wondering when they’re going to come and take me away"

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7914 on: March 15, 2018, 10:36:06 pm »
Best he could manage was hitting the post when we beat them 4-0 in that friendly.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #7915 on: March 15, 2018, 11:38:20 pm »
Never scored against us, has he? Shite.

Would you mind deleting this until after the draw ? 😂
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7916 on: March 16, 2018, 06:50:02 am »

And he was saying this before most people knew who Messi was.  I can still remember a cameo of him at 16 and laughing, thinking he already looked a player with the potential to be better than Ronnie when he was already peak Ronaldinho.  He was an absolute beast when he arrived, just kept getting those hamstring injuries else those mind boggling stats would be much more scary

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7917 on: March 16, 2018, 07:14:29 am »

You say this, but Ronaldo has actually proven he can carry another team to the highest level of club football while Messi hasn't. Both incredible players and considering the difference in natural ability, it shouldn't even be close but it is.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:16:33 am by LFC when it suits »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7918 on: March 16, 2018, 07:21:22 am »
And he was saying this before most people knew who Messi was.  I can still remember a cameo of him at 16 and laughing, thinking he already looked a player with the potential to be better than Ronnie when he was already peak Ronaldinho.  He was an absolute beast when he arrived, just kept getting those hamstring injuries else those mind boggling stats would be much more scary

It was Henry Winter of all people that alerted me to Messi. He said Man utd should go for dinho again because they have a guy called Messi so they may be willing to sale. This was when dinho was imperious. I figured this Messi must be something..

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #7919 on: March 16, 2018, 08:12:28 am »
You say this, but Ronaldo has actually proven he can carry another team to the highest level of club football while Messi hasn't. Both incredible players and considering the difference in natural ability, it shouldn't even be close but it is.

Think that underrates that 2008 Man Utd team a lot.