Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 111565 times)

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Coaching Circle
« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2011, 03:40:08 am »
Well, girls... and ladies. And it's not really playing, more like playing at... :wave

My women lost 1-0 today against a very, very good team. We were dominating the second half, had as blatent a penalty as you're ever likely to see not given, then they went up the other end a minute or two later and scored from a free kick. Fuming.

Two games we've lost through set pieces now.

Not happy.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Another Red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #281 on: September 21, 2011, 06:11:55 am »
I coached a team for the first time this season. My mate's son's team, U12 boys. Decent level, just below the rep teams. Half of the sessions I focused on developing their individual skills (juggling, ball control etc) and half on more team oriented stuff like possession & games.

The emphasis has to be on enjoyment and development/improvement. Not on winning. This is more important for the younger ones, but even when they reach their teenage years I believe this emphasis should not shift. So many players lose interest and give up when they reach their mid teens. This could be for a variety of reasons. Too much emphasis on winning, coaches being too critical etc. Too many talented kids in this age group are lost from the game and I'd suggest that like the really young ones, they need to be handled delicately.

The other thing I see is parents, coaches & players fearful of players losing the ball when in possession. "Get rid of it", "pump it up the middle" & "do something with it" are useless instructions to young players. Players need to be taught to take more responsibilty when in possession, not to be afraid of the ball. This comes through coaching the players to have better ball control. When a young player tries to beat his/her marker in a 1 v 1 and loses the ball, they should be encouraged for the effort rather than berated. If you thought they should've passed the ball instead, tell them in private.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my first season and the boys responded positively to my coaching. I'll definitely be doing again next year.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #282 on: September 21, 2011, 03:49:08 pm »
My women lost 1-0 today against a very, very good team. We were dominating the second half, had as blatent a penalty as you're ever likely to see not given, then they went up the other end a minute or two later and scored from a free kick. Fuming.

Two games we've lost through set pieces now.

Not happy.

On the other hand, losing NE 10 matches 1-0 means your lot are competitive, and when the blessed American disaster otherwise known as the play-offs rolls around... :wave

Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2011, 07:44:47 pm »
On the other hand, losing NE 10 matches 1-0 means your lot are competitive, and when the blessed American disaster otherwise known as the play-offs rolls around... :wave

We lost by one to the team ranked 16 in the country, and have a game coming up soon against Saint Rose, who are currently ranked no1 in the country as per the pre-season rankings. They've lost once in three years or something daft, have a fully-funded squad, and generally blow everyone else out of the water. I'd be delighted if we could get something from that.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #284 on: September 22, 2011, 01:01:08 pm »
We lost by one to the team ranked 16 in the country, and have a game coming up soon against Saint Rose, who are currently ranked no1 in the country as per the pre-season rankings. They've lost once in three years or something daft, have a fully-funded squad, and generally blow everyone else out of the water. I'd be delighted if we could get something from that.

That's what she said...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: September 24, 2011, 02:29:13 pm »
Don't fancy Stoke vs Man Utd later? Then watch UNH vs St Anselms, live, here:
http://www.newhavenchargers.com/sports/2010/9/2/GE_0902103140.aspx
Kick Off is 6pm GMT, 1pm Eastern.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #286 on: September 24, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »
Don't fancy Stoke vs Man Utd later? Then watch UNH vs St Anselms, live, here:
Kick Off is 6pm GMT, 1pm Eastern.

so i'm on in the 72nd minute, listening for Scouse coaching points about "pass and move..." :wave

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #287 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:08 pm »
That so better not be you walking round in white socks pulled up to the knees, Col...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: September 24, 2011, 11:00:13 pm »
That so better not be you walking round in white socks pulled up to the knees, Col...

Socks up every time mate, it's the only way a coach should be.

What a fucking dire game, by the way. A win is a win and all that, but we've got a long way to go... still, winning ugly is better than not winning!

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #289 on: September 25, 2011, 02:33:43 am »
Socks up every time mate, it's the only way a coach should be.

Oh, dear...  ;)

Congrats and all that, when is the match against powerhouse St. Rose? Any chance of stream for that one?

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2011, 01:45:14 pm »
Oh, dear...  ;)

Congrats and all that, when is the match against powerhouse St. Rose? Any chance of stream for that one?

;D

The Saint Rose game is away this year, so not sure if it'll be shown live or not. Either way, I don't think I'll be there - got something boring called 'work' getting in the way.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: October 1, 2011, 03:49:32 am »
I coached a team for the first time this season. My mate's son's team, U12 boys. Decent level, just below the rep teams. Half of the sessions I focused on developing their individual skills (juggling, ball control etc) and half on more team oriented stuff like possession & games.

The emphasis has to be on enjoyment and development/improvement. Not on winning. This is more important for the younger ones, but even when they reach their teenage years I believe this emphasis should not shift. So many players lose interest and give up when they reach their mid teens. This could be for a variety of reasons. Too much emphasis on winning, coaches being too critical etc. Too many talented kids in this age group are lost from the game and I'd suggest that like the really young ones, they need to be handled delicately.

The other thing I see is parents, coaches & players fearful of players losing the ball when in possession. "Get rid of it", "pump it up the middle" & "do something with it" are useless instructions to young players. Players need to be taught to take more responsibilty when in possession, not to be afraid of the ball. This comes through coaching the players to have better ball control. When a young player tries to beat his/her marker in a 1 v 1 and loses the ball, they should be encouraged for the effort rather than berated. If you thought they should've passed the ball instead, tell them in private.

Anyway, I really enjoyed my first season and the boys responded positively to my coaching. I'll definitely be doing again next year.

I missed this before - exactly the right attitude to have.

Glad the season went well for you.

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #292 on: October 1, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
It's kinda funny.  You hear about how coaches are apprently stuck in the stone ages and then you read this thread it's all about the skills and the enjoyment and the nurturing of talent. Hell, that's how I want to do it. Has the entire ethic of football coaching in the country changed?
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #293 on: October 1, 2011, 10:23:46 pm »
It's kinda funny.  You hear about how coaches are apprently stuck in the stone ages and then you read this thread it's all about the skills and the enjoyment and the nurturing of talent. Hell, that's how I want to do it. Has the entire ethic of football coaching in the country changed?

Which country?  ;)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #294 on: October 1, 2011, 10:26:55 pm »

We'll get there... slowly.

But quite a few of us aren't in England.

As an aside, our club may be having a massively, massively special strikers clinic coming up, but I don't want to jinx it before it's all set up and in place. Safe to say, though, if it happens then the players will remember it for the rest of their lives, and I'll be smiling for the rest of the year. Here's hoping!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: October 2, 2011, 12:16:49 pm »
Again, if anyone's even the slightest bit interested, my women's team plays today at 5pm GMT / 12pm Eastern, and can be seen here:

I, however won't be there due to work commitments, so will be watching the stream during my downtime as well.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #296 on: October 3, 2011, 05:05:11 pm »

which country exactly

its a bit more laid back in the states where kids sports overall are insanely funded and organized and having fun is still part of the ethos

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #297 on: October 3, 2011, 05:45:50 pm »
Didn't consider that at all. Darn England is screwed  ;D
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #298 on: October 5, 2011, 01:05:34 pm »
UNH sending anyone to WAGS this weekend, Col? Tophat is sending four teams, the 12s, 14s, 16s and 17s, three of which have endured the careful weighted program(me) of sarcasm, derision, and scorn that forms the underpinning of the Urban coaching regimen... :wave

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: October 5, 2011, 03:51:22 pm »
UNH sending anyone to WAGS this weekend, Col? Tophat is sending four teams, the 12s, 14s, 16s and 17s, three of which have endured the careful weighted program(me) of sarcasm, derision, and scorn that forms the underpinning of the Urban coaching regimen... :wave

Not that I'm aware of mate - don't have the staff to go galavanting round the country on scouting missions, especially when we've got a game on Saturday! Our recruitment is well underway for next year already - got a couple committed and should have a couple more soon enough. We held a high-school clinic (absolutely not a trial, I hope you understand) a couple of weeks back, but bar two or three players we were already aware of, the standard was pretty poor. A couple of girls made some decent trips to come as well (28 hours on a bus, or three planes anyone?), so it's a shame that they didn't really turn it on.

As an aside, I've been looking at options for my club coaching next year - job searching seems to be a permanent state of mind at the moment!

Do you know of any CT-based teams going to WAGS?

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #300 on: October 5, 2011, 07:08:15 pm »
Not that I'm aware of mate - don't have the staff to go galavanting round the country on scouting missions, especially when we've got a game on Saturday! Our recruitment is well underway for next year already - got a couple committed and should have a couple more soon enough. We held a high-school clinic (absolutely not a trial, I hope you understand) a couple of weeks back, but bar two or three players we were already aware of, the standard was pretty poor. A couple of girls made some decent trips to come as well (28 hours on a bus, or three planes anyone?), so it's a shame that they didn't really turn it on.

As an aside, I've been looking at options for my club coaching next year - job searching seems to be a permanent state of mind at the moment!

Do you know of any CT-based teams going to WAGS?

looks pretty skimpy, Beachside has a team in the A flight at u-14, none in the older age groups. Neither Oakwood nor South Central saw fit to send any of their girls sides...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: October 5, 2011, 07:20:22 pm »
looks pretty skimpy, Beachside has a team in the A flight at u-14, none in the older age groups. Neither Oakwood nor South Central saw fit to send any of their girls sides...

Beachside are normally half-decent, but I haven't heard much about them lately. The two decent players in our UNH clinic day were both Oakwood girls.

I'm surprised Yankee, Everton, or Comets haven't sent a team down if Beachside have - must be more important stuff going on a little closer to home I guess.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #302 on: October 5, 2011, 07:56:18 pm »
Beachside are normally half-decent, but I haven't heard much about them lately. The two decent players in our UNH clinic day were both Oakwood girls.

I'm surprised Yankee, Everton, or Comets haven't sent a team down if Beachside have - must be more important stuff going on a little closer to home I guess.

Re an earlier post of yours...

Everton are hiring for next year, you know...  ;)

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: October 6, 2011, 02:47:51 am »

Re an earlier post of yours...

Everton are hiring for next year, you know...  ;)

Why, you little scamp.....!!

Have a gander at this - goals from our 2-1 win today. First is scrappy, but watch for the second (and listen for the commentator saying 'Shit!' when she hits it! ;D )

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=733486680139

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: October 13, 2011, 01:00:43 am »
Our women just lost 3-2 to the top-ranked Division II college in the country. It was 2-2 at half time... they scored with 90 seconds left.

They've lost one game in three years, and we're the first team to score twice past them in a game in 2.

Bittersweet.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #305 on: October 13, 2011, 05:56:08 pm »
hey Col.

Im reffing at a selection weekend again for FC New York in VA in December.

Is your buddy still there. I am guessing he isnt as I think they cleaned house a bit on coaching staff last year.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: October 13, 2011, 06:37:25 pm »
hey Col.

Im reffing at a selection weekend again for FC New York in VA in December.

Is your buddy still there. I am guessing he isnt as I think they cleaned house a bit on coaching staff last year.

To be honest mate I'm not in contact with him anymore, but now as you've mentioned it I do remember hearing some rumours a while back that he'd left. I know his old assistant Charlie isn't there anymore, but couldn't tell you for certain about Matt.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #307 on: October 14, 2011, 02:18:48 am »
To be honest mate I'm not in contact with him anymore, but now as you've mentioned it I do remember hearing some rumours a while back that he'd left. I know his old assistant Charlie isn't there anymore, but couldn't tell you for certain about Matt.
they are down here in december
should be quite interesting

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2011, 10:55:41 am »
We're expecting some bad weather today, so our game's been moved forward from a 1pm kick-off to 11:30am.

We'll be there at 9:30.

Not too bad really, other than the fact we've got to cross three states to get there! Awake before 5:30 for what should be a lunchtime kick-off... that's just rude.

On the plus side - if we win today, and the team above us loses (we beat them on Wednesday), then we qualify for the playoffs which will be a decent achievement for us. It's out of our own hands, but our rescheduled game time means that if we do win, we'll put the pressure on Adelphi to get something in a pretty tough away game.

Of course, we may drive across three states, play badly, lose, and get stuck in a snowstorm on the bus on the way back. Which would be fun!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: October 29, 2011, 10:58:26 am »
I'm in Belfast for a few days next week, looking forward to it. Exciting times ahead!

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2011, 01:08:36 am »
We're expecting some bad weather today, so our game's been moved forward from a 1pm kick-off to 11:30am.

We'll be there at 9:30.

Not too bad really, other than the fact we've got to cross three states to get there! Awake before 5:30 for what should be a lunchtime kick-off... that's just rude.

On the plus side - if we win today, and the team above us loses (we beat them on Wednesday), then we qualify for the playoffs which will be a decent achievement for us. It's out of our own hands, but our rescheduled game time means that if we do win, we'll put the pressure on Adelphi to get something in a pretty tough away game.

Of course, we may drive across three states, play badly, lose, and get stuck in a snowstorm on the bus on the way back. Which would be fun!

Fuck right off.

We played, scored after a minute, battled like fuck, and won 1-0.

Adelphi played, 0-0, and went to overtime. They were under the cosh for the last 10 mins of the game, and all of the first half of overtime - the post got hit, the bar got hit, the keeper made a few saves, and the opposition had a barrage of corners. Then, during half time in overtime the Adelphi coach decides that they don't want to play the second half because of the bad weather and the game got abandoned - the result goes down as a draw and we go out of the competition.

Now I'm not saying they definately would've conceded, but they were under a lot of pressure and the opposition deserved the chance to put the game to bed.

How the result of an abandoned match can stand if it directly affects another team is beyond me. If they'd conceded in the second half of overtime then they'd be out of the competition, so instead they refuse to play and get the rest of the game abandoned? That's just not cricket. Our girls were in tears listening to the commentary on the journey back. 'orrible situation.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2011, 01:00:19 pm »

Then, during half time in overtime the Adelphi coach decides that they don't want to play the second half because of the bad weather and the game got abandoned - the result goes down as a draw and we go out of the competition.

And you can be certain that by that point, he knew your result and that a draw would be enough. Fucking Mickey Mouse...

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: October 30, 2011, 01:45:22 pm »
And you can be certain that by that point, he knew your result and that a draw would be enough. Fucking Mickey Mouse...

Haha yep. I really hope that isn't the case, but if your job's under pressure if you don't make the playoffs then questions are going to be asked.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 23, 2012, 10:10:57 pm »
Coates and Enrique appeared at a session I delivered in a school last week, top lads

Back to school with Jose and Seb
23rd Jan 2012 - Latest News

6 CommentsEmailPrintShare ArchiveLFC To Go
Liverpool stars Jose Enrique and Sebastian Coates went back to school as they took part in some fantastic community department led initiatives.

The duo, who were joined by Liverpool FC Ladies skipper Vicky Jones, visited St. Silas Primary School in Toxteth for the LFC Equality 4 All Scheme, and then Shorefields Community College in Dingle Vale for the LFC Premier League 4 Sport event.

One of the highlights of the day was Enrique, Coates and Jones taking part in a Q and A session with the kids in Spanish. A Spanish teacher was present as the pair were quizzed on their LFC career so far.

The 11-year-olds at St. Silas Primary also took part in a football session under the watchful eye of Enrique and Coates.

Liverpool FC Social Inclusion Officer Rishi Jain said: "To have Jose Enrique and Sebastian Coates come down, meet the kids, join in a session and answer their questions was absolutely brilliant.

"It was really good for both of the players to take part in the Q and A session in Spanish. The school do a lot of work on different languages to reward the kids this way, so to help them practice their Spanish was an absolute pleasure for the club."

"The LFC Equality 4 All Project continues to go from strength to strength. We do 18 hours coaching a week with kids from different areas and ethnic minorities and bring them all together through football."

At Shorefields Community College Enrique and Coates demonstrated their table tennis skills when they took part in the LFC Premier League 4 Sport event, alongside 15 children aged 11 to 13.

The Premier League 4 Sport scheme aims to introduce four different Olympic sports to youngsters in the region - volleyball, table tennis, badminton and netball.

The initiative hopes to curb the drop-off in young people's participation in sports after leaving secondary school, as well as offering five hours of activities to youngsters as part of the government's 2012 legacy plans.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/back-to-school-with-jose-and-seb

Offline scousepower

• Legacy Fan
  • A Child of The Rafalution
« Reply #314 on: January 26, 2012, 02:25:58 pm »
Haven't been on here in a while! Since I last posted about my Level 2. I've passed Level 2 and I'm now coaching an u8's side and we've had 3 games which the lads won 6-1, 3-2 (from 2-0 down) and 8-0 very happy with their development and my own coaching development! :D
'Hi Paul im from The S*n' 'Im from the Earth, now fuck off'

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #315 on: February 6, 2012, 10:33:41 pm »
I just went to a child protection course, part of the deal for all underage GAA coaching now. It was actually a little soul destroying.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #316 on: February 6, 2012, 11:16:53 pm »
I just went to a child protection course, part of the deal for all underage GAA coaching now. It was actually a little soul destroying.

Do tell...

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #317 on: February 6, 2012, 11:39:57 pm »
Do tell...

Just the stories they tell you would break your heart. I have no desire to relive them.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: February 7, 2012, 11:17:31 am »
Just the stories they tell you would break your heart. I have no desire to relive them.
The one I did with my level 1 just seemed to be two hours of being told not to touch the children.

The Australian one was far more educational.

Ryan - that sounds boss, mate!

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: February 7, 2012, 04:04:17 pm »
The one I did with my level 1 just seemed to be two hours of being told not to touch the children.

The Australian one was far more educational.

Ryan - that sounds boss, mate!

Cheers Col, bit worried though, since that session, Jose's form dipped and he has now been injured. All my fault! :)