Author Topic: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle  (Read 111727 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Football Coaching Circle
« Reply #480 on: August 17, 2013, 02:47:53 am »

I was on the Advanced National mate. Had a blast, and he was one of the main reasons.

I've done this course as well. Excellent course. Where did you take it?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #481 on: August 17, 2013, 03:16:04 am »
Gentlemen; can I ask you more knowledgeable about some advice.

I am currently with two others coaching a group of 11-12 year olds (about 25 of them)

We've got a good mix of boys in terms of skills and motivation, but a decent bunch of them are having very good skills and also working hard and also play a fair bit on their own..

We win most of our games which we tend to not focus too much on with the boys but try to keep them on the progress/development/hard-work trend..

The few games we tend to lose/struggle are where are bullied/physically confronted, as we have a few lads which arent that big/strong. They can stand up for themselves, but we have also tried to avoid the "get in there/stand up for yourself etc". When we are stressed, the passing starts to get sloppier/inaccurate and the boys get stressed in front of the goals..

I am not keen on taking on too many bully teams - but was wondering if there are any training ground practices that can be used to prepare them better. I am mainly thinking on just working more on the passing aspect, challenge them on the speed they play/think, maybe 3 vs 4 etc - but not really sure - any pointers ?

cheers

Sounds good to me. Think of their ages. The physical stuff can come later, but you are in a golden period to solidify and drastically improve their technique. To get fancy, their window of optimal neural plasticity is closing soon, and after that, skill development becomes harder. Better to forego the tactical and physical stuff for now and focus on skill acquisition while you have the chance. Patience is the keyword. You'll be thankful you did later, because puberty is a great leveller. Once that happens, and your players have more skill than the bigger kids, the results will almost overnight change for the better, because your groundwork paid off, while the bigger kids without coaching and technical development will no longer be big kids (heights and strength even out) - and they won't have technique. Your players will now be improved by complex tactics, and they will play a sophisticated game that the former "big kids" won't be able to cope with.

Stay the course you are on, because it sounds good. Focus more on quicker technique, quicker movement, principles of play and technical comfort on the ball, and by the time they are 14, you will have an excellent and successful little team.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #482 on: August 17, 2013, 04:56:28 am »
Coaching with someone from here tomorrow...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIFA_100
@TomNJones on Twitter

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: August 18, 2013, 08:41:42 pm »
I've done this course as well. Excellent course. Where did you take it?

It was mate, best one I've been on. I did it in Thousand Oaks, CA. We're lobbying for a Premier out this way too, as there hasn't been one yet for some obscure reason.
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: August 18, 2013, 09:05:37 pm »
Sounds good to me. Think of their ages. The physical stuff can come later, but you are in a golden period to solidify and drastically improve their technique. To get fancy, their window of optimal neural plasticity is closing soon, and after that, skill development becomes harder. Better to forego the tactical and physical stuff for now and focus on skill acquisition while you have the chance. Patience is the keyword. You'll be thankful you did later, because puberty is a great leveller. Once that happens, and your players have more skill than the bigger kids, the results will almost overnight change for the better, because your groundwork paid off, while the bigger kids without coaching and technical development will no longer be big kids (heights and strength even out) - and they won't have technique. Your players will now be improved by complex tactics, and they will play a sophisticated game that the former "big kids" won't be able to cope with.

Stay the course you are on, because it sounds good. Focus more on quicker technique, quicker movement, principles of play and technical comfort on the ball, and by the time they are 14, you will have an excellent and successful little team.

Spot on.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #485 on: August 21, 2013, 08:27:35 am »
Bump if anyone didn't see on the other page
Ta

What I'm asking is  if anyone is prepared to try out the app and review it, I can pay you back for the price £2.50  on itunes (before the Man U game and buy you a pint*)
In short Heskstat is being used by a small number of coaches and scouts with success. It gives a detailed and  visual  picture of individual and team performance.

Although this is a commercial venture (small potatoes) Rhi said it was ok to put up  & I  just thought it would be useful to coaches in this thread and give a bit of a boost to a great lad's  coaching idea.
ta again

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: August 26, 2013, 03:21:04 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/patrick-vieira-sol-campbell-welsh-course-coaching

Good article about the Welsh FA A license that some might find interesting.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: August 30, 2013, 11:08:08 pm »
Have a look at this kid.

I coached him and his team a few times whilst on a course with their coach Brian earlier this year.

This team are bloody good - two-touch, passing football all the time, and they just do not make technical mistakes. They're supposed to be one of the best teams in the country at their age group, and it's easy to see why - they're a very impressive group.

This kid John has been training with City recently... but that's not his claim to fame. His claim to fame is that I megged him during one of the sessions. He'd better remember it.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/29/remember-name-how-12-year-old-chivas-usa-standout-john-kenneth-xuxuh-hilton-?utm_source=Facebook

[edit: PS, I am in no way endorsing the kid being made to train in the gym or the tone the trainer takes with him. Just watch the videos for his ability - he's decent]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 11:24:01 pm by Col »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: August 31, 2013, 12:06:32 am »
Excellent stuff. He is a talent.

Didn't know Kleiban was at Chivas though. Is that recent? He has some excellent thoughts on the game and how it should be coached to kids. He would fit in at the Academy, I think.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: August 31, 2013, 09:05:36 am »
Excellent stuff. He is a talent.

Didn't know Kleiban was at Chivas though. Is that recent? He has some excellent thoughts on the game and how it should be coached to kids. He would fit in at the Academy, I think.

Gary Kleiban (@3four3) is not the coach of that team, Brian Kleiban is.

I haven't met Gary (that I know of), but Brian was on my C License in May and brought his boys along to help out with a few of the sessions. I think I remember him saying he had that team at Barcelona before they went to Chivas, or something along those lines.

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #490 on: September 3, 2013, 07:02:45 pm »
Hello gents

My friend and I are looking to set up a new club in our area, and we are thinking we'll aim for under 8/9's for our first year.

Neither of us have coached before so we need some qualifications. I don't know how realistic this thought is, but rather than get our education in England we'd like to get it on the continent. I've briefly had a scout about on google and found one Dutch chap offering courses, but ideally I'd like to do the official KNVB (or equivalent) and go from there.

Is this an option? Obviously language barriers might be an issue as I'm ill educated and barely speak English correctly let alone Dutch. But at least if their are courses available I could contact them and see if it could be made to work.

On the flip side of this if it's really not viable, is the FA coaching here adequate and could I perhaps learn foreign techniques through the internet. I just despair at the coaching level in England and the English mentality in general.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: September 3, 2013, 07:07:57 pm »
Hello gents

My friend and I are looking to set up a new club in our area, and we are thinking we'll aim for under 8/9's for our first year.

Neither of us have coached before so we need some qualifications. I don't know how realistic this thought is, but rather than get our education in England we'd like to get it on the continent. I've briefly had a scout about on google and found one Dutch chap offering courses, but ideally I'd like to do the official KNVB (or equivalent) and go from there.

Is this an option? Obviously language barriers might be an issue as I'm ill educated and barely speak English correctly let alone Dutch. But at least if their are courses available I could contact them and see if it could be made to work.

On the flip side of this if it's really not viable, is the FA coaching here adequate and could I perhaps learn foreign techniques through the internet. I just despair at the coaching level in England and the English mentality in general.

If you're going to coach 8/9's from the start, then do the Coerver Youth Diploma. If not, then the Brazilian Soccer Schools that Simon Clifford runs would be just as good. At these ages, it's all technique, technique, technique - nothing more. And nobody does technique quite like the Brazilians, Dutch and Spanish - but the Spanish haven't got a "Spanish Method" coaching export yet. Go to the Coerver Website, and see if they are doing courses in your area or close enough to travel too. You will be glad of it.

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #492 on: September 4, 2013, 12:48:49 am »
Cheers mate. The Coerver one like you said looks very good so that's a must. Have contacted them both so will see what happens.

In regards to "badges", are any needed at grassroots level as a coach in a little league or do they only come in to play higher up the food chain? If so, where? Just out of interest.

I read and try to soak up as many of your tactical posts as possible, but unless I drill it in with repetition I find myself forgetting things, and trawling back through topics is fucking dull. Could you recommend any reading material or websites which would be a benefit? Realistically I've probably got 8 or 9 months before we have little lads on the field and I want to get to grips with proper techniques and do things right from the start. Obviously its a massive learning curve when it does start but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

Offline Schwindlig

• Anny Roader
« Reply #493 on: September 4, 2013, 01:46:57 am »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: September 4, 2013, 03:30:52 am »
Cheers mate. The Coerver one like you said looks very good so that's a must. Have contacted them both so will see what happens.

In regards to "badges", are any needed at grassroots level as a coach in a little league or do they only come in to play higher up the food chain? If so, where? Just out of interest.

I read and try to soak up as many of your tactical posts as possible, but unless I drill it in with repetition I find myself forgetting things, and trawling back through topics is fucking dull. Could you recommend any reading material or websites which would be a benefit? Realistically I've probably got 8 or 9 months before we have little lads on the field and I want to get to grips with proper techniques and do things right from the start. Obviously its a massive learning curve when it does start but I'd like to be as prepared as possible.

At grassroots level, I wouldn't worry about badges, unless they are compulsory. Otherwise, just do courses that will educate you for your age group - in which case Coerver/Brazilian Soccer Schools/Anything Futsal related will be just the ticket.

For reading material, get Horst Wein's "Developing Soccer Players" - it's a must - as well as Tony Carr's book, and Coaching Dutch Soccer by Bert van Lingen. The best thing you can do, after courses and books, is to make sure your own techniques are sharp themselves. There is a lot of demonstrations for these ages, and it's good to be able to know how to pull off all the moves, how to juggle, how to pass and receive, etc. If you're already good at those, you'll be fine. If you're rusty though, 20 minutes a day in the back garden working on different skill moves, or passing a ball off a wall, will get you right on track.

Most importantly, though, you should start learning about how children acquire skills, and how they manage psychology at that age. It's more important to put them in small game situations than to have them standing in line doing drills or dribbling through cones. The best head start you can give yourself is to learn how to teach football through smaller versions of the game itself (1v1, 2v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v2, 5v2, 4v4 etc). There is no need for shape, or tactics, or fitness, at these ages. Learning to let go and give the control to the players will reap more benefits than a well-planned session with 250 activities. Simplicity is the key :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: September 4, 2013, 03:32:43 am »
Anyone know anything about this course?

I've come across Cor van Dijk before. This seems to be good stuff, but it's not KNVB - they're being a bit sketchy by calling themselves "DutchFA" and using a similar version to the Ajax logo. Coerver is still your best bet, and it is also more recognised and prestigious.

Be warned though - if you do Dutch coaching modules first, and then do the FA stuff later, you might find yourself very disappointed by the FA stuff :D

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: September 4, 2013, 08:09:23 am »
Hello gents

If you haven't coached before, I'd consider to start helping out in a existing club to get some experience. Your learning curve would be pretty fast and it could be good to have some experience with coaching kids, psychology, whats working - whats not, how to deal with crazy parents etc..

You learn from your mistakes and build on what you do well - and it could be good to start off without having the pressure of handling everything of your own..

It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Offline lukee

• Kemlynite
« Reply #497 on: September 7, 2013, 01:38:03 pm »
Alright lads,

I start my FA level 1 on monday, can't wait to get it started as I've been contemplating coaching for a while.

Hopefully then  i'll do level 2 later on this year.

I'm sure at some point i'll be in here for some advice as well  :wave

cheers

Offline Suareznumber7

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: September 8, 2013, 03:28:17 am »
Good luck

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: September 8, 2013, 03:44:05 pm »
One game into the new year, and I've had my first "My son doesn't want to play defence" message.

And so it begins...

Pheeny

« Reply #500 on: September 8, 2013, 05:02:46 pm »
One game into the new year, and I've had my first "My son doesn't want to play defence" message.

And so it begins...
and what was the reply?

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #501 on: September 8, 2013, 05:06:40 pm »

And so it begins...

aka, "I have no clue about the game, never played, never watch it unless my son is playing; however, two years of watching youth soccer in the US makes me an expert and thus because the best players always play forward and the bad players play in the back..."
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Pheeny

« Reply #502 on: September 8, 2013, 07:27:51 pm »
aka, "I have no clue about the game, never played, never watch it unless my son is playing; however, two years of watching youth soccer in the US makes me an expert and thus because the best players always play forward and the bad players play in the back..."
and the one with 2 left feet and no friends plays in goal...

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #503 on: September 8, 2013, 10:52:09 pm »
and the one with 2 left feet and no friends plays in goal...

Kestrel for a Knave, Hollywood version...  :wave

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: September 9, 2013, 01:26:08 am »
and what was the reply?

The reply was that he'd get plenty of game time in other positions throughout the season, but for now as he's playing particularly well I am going to keep him there and let him have some repeated success and build his confidence.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #505 on: September 9, 2013, 01:28:45 am »
The reply was that he'd get plenty of game time in other positions throughout the season, but for now as he's playing particularly well I am going to keep him there and let him have some repeated success and build his confidence.

Sellout...  ;)

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #506 on: September 9, 2013, 01:47:16 am »
http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/aug/23/patrick-vieira-sol-campbell-welsh-course-coaching

Good article about the Welsh FA A license that some might find interesting.

How come they are doing their courses at the Welsh FA rather than the english one?

Bellamy going into coaching too...
"I’ve got my A licence already. I’m doing my Pro licence and after that I’m going to travel around the world — Spain, Argentina — to learn my craft. I don’t just want to go in and mess about. When I go in, I’m going to be prepared — and I’m going to stay in."

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #507 on: September 9, 2013, 10:35:54 am »
Have a look at this kid.

I coached him and his team a few times whilst on a course with their coach Brian earlier this year.

This team are bloody good - two-touch, passing football all the time, and they just do not make technical mistakes. They're supposed to be one of the best teams in the country at their age group, and it's easy to see why - they're a very impressive group.

This kid John has been training with City recently... but that's not his claim to fame. His claim to fame is that I megged him during one of the sessions. He'd better remember it.

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2013/08/29/remember-name-how-12-year-old-chivas-usa-standout-john-kenneth-xuxuh-hilton-?utm_source=Facebook

[edit: PS, I am in no way endorsing the kid being made to train in the gym or the tone the trainer takes with him. Just watch the videos for his ability - he's decent]
Col, why are they playing on what appears to be an 11 a side pitch?  Is that standard at that age?

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #508 on: September 9, 2013, 11:36:37 am »
Sellout...  ;)

The dad that used to approach me with "I don't know much about football ------ but I think they should be doing more running during training" doesn't come anymore..
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Pheeny

« Reply #509 on: September 9, 2013, 04:05:08 pm »
Kestrel for a Knave, Hollywood version...  :wave
One of the best films ever got it on DVD

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: September 9, 2013, 10:13:19 pm »
Worth a read that.  Thanks for posting Rhi.

Agreed.

There are many, many quality coaches being reluctantly forced to coach abroad, as they don't belong to the boys' club and they can't make a living doing what they've spend thousands of pounds and many years of training to do.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #512 on: September 10, 2013, 11:00:57 am »
Believe it or not, but the Welsh FA is quite highly thought of these days. However they have been more willing in recent years to "bend the rules" a bit for ex-pros, from what I gather. But I think that has been for publicity more than anything. I think Martinez did some of his badges in Wales, Jens Lehman and Marcel Desailly too if I remember correctly.

And incidentally, Osian Roberts, the guy mentioned in the article quoted above as the technical director at the FAW,  was my first ever coach when I was a kid in primary school. :)
Oh really? Why's that? Is the Welsh FA better set up with coaches or is it just a better teaching set up?

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: September 11, 2013, 08:29:59 am »
Posted this in another thread. What would you guys tell the two centre mids ? Just keep silent and let them play ?

I'm coaching kids which can be pretty interesting because they can be pretty easy to read when you get to know them. From time to time, we set-up teams for matches
where the skills can differentiate pretty much. (6-a-side). In a couple of matches we probably had the least skilful player playing up front. Centre mid we alternate between
probably the two most skilful players. One of them is a very disciplined guy; always follow instructions and always plays the "right" ball up to the striker; normally with
no end-result.. The other one looks up, sees the alternative and go for a more difficult option or tries on his own.. Problem being that he plays the "correct" ball when there is
a good striker with higher likelihood of scoring playing.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2013, 07:57:45 pm »
Col, why are they playing on what appears to be an 11 a side pitch?  Is that standard at that age?

he might be playing in a U14 age group which is normal in the states to play full field

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: September 13, 2013, 08:09:04 pm »

Sorry - thought I'd replied.

In Southern California, teams move to 11-a-side on full-size pitches during the second half of the U10 season.

I've got a group of U9s at the moment... in little over 12 months, they'll be playing on our main pitch which is 120 x 70.

It's crazy.

Offline Col

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: September 13, 2013, 09:54:17 pm »
Have any of the US-based guys on here (PoP, Mr Urban etc) taken the Premier Diploma recently?

I loved the Advanced National, and there's a Premier in January that I can take - just wondering if it's worth the $1200 if I can't get my club to contribute?

I'll likely end up doing it either way, but... feedback would be appreciated.

Nice one.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #517 on: September 14, 2013, 02:28:10 am »
Have any of the US-based guys on here (PoP, Mr Urban etc) taken the Premier Diploma recently?

I loved the Advanced National, and there's a Premier in January that I can take - just wondering if it's worth the $1200 if I can't get my club to contribute?

I'll likely end up doing it either way, but... feedback would be appreciated.

Nice one.

From what I've heard, Col, not worth your money. If the club is willing to pay, I'd do it. But the Premier Diploma is an exercise in justification of the existence of the NSCAA, very theoretical and self-referential. It has very little cachet or status in your next job search as well; even the dumbest club Board members have heard of the A license; you'll have to explain the Premier Diploma to them. And it's not especially helpful with youth soccer, similar to the A License.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: September 14, 2013, 02:35:22 am »
From what I've heard, Col, not worth your money. If the club is willing to pay, I'd do it. But the Premier Diploma is an exercise in justification of the existence of the NSCAA, very theoretical and self-referential. It has very little cachet or status in your next job search as well; even the dumbest club Board members have heard of the A license; you'll have to explain the Premier Diploma to them. And it's not especially helpful with youth soccer, similar to the A License.

I wouldn't necessarily go along with that :D The Premier Diploma has some advantages - not least that it prepares you for the USSF equivalents in a less pressured environment. It also does carry over in one or two federations in Europe. The USSF has more cachet, but it also has some major disadvantages (not least of all the fact that some instructors are more interested in weeding people out then helping them to pass :D). I have a mate who has done both tracks, and preferred the NSCAA one for education, but the USSF one for jobs. Do both, is my advice, but the Premier Diploma is well worth it, imo.

Offline Tomaldinho

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • camina, camina, con esperanza de tu corazon
« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2013, 04:13:45 am »
I want to know what people think about small sided games.

Not, particularly, from a coaching perspective, but more when we're getting players of certain ages to play, for example, 7 vs 7 at U10 or 9 vs 9 at U12 in their competitive games against other teams.

Personally, I think they are detrimental.

Over here in the USA where I'm coaching at the moment, the AYSO only gets up to 11 vs 11 at a U14 level. This means 12 year olds, the vast majority of their prime developmental years behind them, are given their first taste of the game in its intended format at this stage.

Lets use the U10s as an example, where they play 7 vs 7. These 7 vs 7 games are probably played on fields larger than an adult 7 a side league would be contested. I would say that no matter what formation you arrange your 6 outfield players in, there is not a position on that field that is representative of what would be expected of the player in an 11 a side game. What I have seen happen is that the majority of the players who stick with the game up to a U14 level, regardless of their technical ability, have literally no idea where to stand, or how to behave in their position when they get to that age.

(The coaches come up with some pretty daft formations, mind you, but that's another discussion for another time).

Now I understand the importance of small sided games when it comes to player development, giving the player as many touches on the ball as possible and thus giving their level of technique the best chance possible to improve. But there is more to a footballer than how smoothly they can pass or how good their control is.

An attacker playing in a U10 team, playing against 2 or 3 defenders on a field that is vastly too big for the number or age of the players involved is no preparation at all for the experience of playing that position in the full game. It reminds me of those few kids at the end of the lunch break who were happy to play on in a kickabout that had long died a death.

From attending coaching courses in England you can tell that they're trying to lean towards emulating the successes that the Spanish National Team have enjoyed (I would argue that that owes more to a once in a lifetime group of players, but again a discussion from another time). Did England not produce any decent players before they decided that small sided games were the way to go? Did Gazza never play any 11 a side games before he was 15? Gerrard? Beardsley? Scholes?

You can huff and puff at creating the next Xavi and Iniesta all you want, but developing players need to be given some exposure to tactical and positional awareness while they are still developing, rather than a massive focus on the technical. To assume it can be left until the players are older is naive at best.

I'd leave the small sides to coaching sessions personally.
@TomNJones on Twitter