Author Topic: Lucas in Brazil Squad  (Read 966128 times)

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Lucas in Brazil Squad
« Reply #7760 on: March 23, 2011, 05:34:02 pm »
You're wrong I've seen her on twitter! :O

It is here youngest daughter in the avatar, but she is a female all right

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #7761 on: March 23, 2011, 05:37:53 pm »
Lucas is not going anywhere.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7762 on: March 23, 2011, 08:12:41 pm »
@newred

Talking about your signature... about being "In competition with sangria, benitle, hazell, grkstav, rapcage, muhlergremista, chakan, and jaspinder x for #1 lucas fan."...

...Leivapool is out of reach for you all here though.. ;)

yea, its true. Maybe that is why I forgot the most obvious of all but I didn't see leivapool post in the last few pages so it slipped my mind.

http://redsacrossthepond.blogspot.com/

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #7763 on: March 23, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »
I think my name deserves to Chakan. I mean if I am going in someones signature everyone is going to see it.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7764 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:56 pm »
I think my name deserves to Chakan. I mean if I am going in someones signature everyone is going to see it.

que? Are you saying you want it to be uppercase. I am surprised that people actually noticed my sig. I just thought it was one of those passing things that people just gloss over.

My LFC blog. If you read it, please leave me any feedback regardless of whether it is critical or complimentary.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7765 on: March 23, 2011, 08:21:54 pm »
que? Are you saying you want it to be uppercase. I am surprised that people actually noticed my sig. I just thought it was one of those passing things that people just gloss over.

Sure Chakan. Actually never even noticed your sig until thingy pointed it out.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #7766 on: March 23, 2011, 08:29:30 pm »
Just out of curiosity, does you name mean anything? (In my language it does.) You could PM me if you chose to answer but don't want it to be seen. Thanks.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7767 on: March 23, 2011, 08:30:56 pm »
Just out of curiosity, does you name mean anything? (In my language it does.) You could PM me if you chose to answer but don't want it to be seen. Thanks.

Not that I know of, took it from a poem I heard ages ago, which I later found out was from a Sega game. Technically it's Chakan - The Forever Man. Why what does it mean otherwise?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7768 on: March 23, 2011, 08:39:48 pm »
Not that I know of, took it from a poem I heard ages ago, which I later found out was from a Sega game. Technically it's Chakan - The Forever Man. Why what does it mean otherwise?
In Bulgarian that means 'the one people are waiting for' or 'the expected one'.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7769 on: March 23, 2011, 08:47:08 pm »
No reason for 2 starting widemen this summer, we can just do a 4-3-3 and have the midfield/attack assembled like this:

Lucas

Gerrard    Meireles

Suarez                        Winger

Carroll

Meireles more of a free midfielder while Gerrard plays the deep-lying playmaker and Lucas covers the midfield and the back 4 and keeps the ball moving when necessary.

Just thinking, even if we go for a DM (M'Bia? Is he that type of player? Seems to be a popular choice on here) this summer, we could conceivably line up like this:

M'Bia
Lucas
                         Meireles

Gerrard                Suarez
             Carroll

Not saying we shouldn't get wingers but it would allow the fullbacks we have to get forward and support the attack and width could be gotten that way. It'd allow Lucas to have more attacking licence and if needed, he could also cover for (say) the fullbacks along with the DM or even Agger if they're out of position and we lose the ball. We'd see more of Lucas' talents and the kind of 10-20 yard balls Alonso was so adept at making, taking out 2-3 of the opposition players and setting us on our way. Plus Suarez and Gerrard would have licence to roam and Raul would be able to support them. And we'd have Kuyt and Aquilani(?)/Adam(?) also being able to come in.

Something like that would possibly work?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7770 on: March 23, 2011, 08:56:36 pm »

So is chakan like Jesus?

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7771 on: March 23, 2011, 08:58:00 pm »
So is chakan like Jesus?
Well, not quite in a sense like a messiah, more like a letter or a good news (or a bad news)... ;D

Offline Jokerman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7772 on: March 23, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »
Well, not quite in a sense like a messiah, more like a letter or a good news (or a bad news)... ;D

Sounds more like a postman then
How come Aquilani wasn't in the squad today?

Solving the drought in East Africa with his fancy flicks.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7773 on: March 23, 2011, 09:07:24 pm »

That made me lol, literally.

Offline farawayred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7774 on: March 23, 2011, 09:08:52 pm »
Just don't go postal on us please...

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7775 on: March 23, 2011, 09:13:51 pm »
Just don't go postal on us please...

You're better than that, lol.

Anyways, back to Lucas. He is the best player to ever play the game.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7776 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:02 pm »
Anyways, back to Lucas. He is the best player to ever play the game.

In the next week, someone will say that RAWK overrates Lucas and will quotes this post, without any irony whatsover.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7777 on: March 23, 2011, 09:18:48 pm »
In the next week, someone will say that RAWK overrates Lucas and will quotes this post, without any irony whatsover.

Yes, tis inevitable but I can't wait. How can anyone possibly take that seriously?

For real though, I don't know how many DMs in the world there are that are better than him atm. Love watching him play for is because I remember so vividly the lad who came in his first season and couldn't last 60m and was a light weight and couldn't tackle to save his life. How far he had come is truly astonishing.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7778 on: March 23, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »

Oooohh I like that :P

Just call me NEO from now on.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7779 on: March 23, 2011, 09:31:07 pm »
For real though, I don't know how many DMs in the world there are that are better than him atm. Love watching him play for is because I remember so vividly the lad who came in his first season and couldn't last 60m and was a light weight and couldn't tackle to save his life. How far he had come is truly astonishing.

I wouldn't say he couldn't tackle, just that he made the wrong decision when to. Even his sending off against Everton was a bit unlucky IIRC, he went to pull out of the tackle but it was too late and his momentum carried him forward into the player and he got his second yellow for it. And he gave away a penalty in the last five minutes against Wigan (we were 1-0 up and got caught out with Lucas having cover in the box). That, amongst other things, like replacing Gerrard against Everton got a lot of people on his back. It's taken a few years but he's finally being accepted as a first team member.

As for him being DM, I don't know if I'd be happy for him to continue playing there. Obviously he can play there but going forward, a second volante is something I'd have hope to see this season but circumstances have dictated that that's not to be. Now that we can (hopefully) buy some quality players again, maybe get someone to sit alongide or a bit deeper than him and allow Lucas to move a bit higher up the pitch more regularly. He'd be able to link in with the attacking players a bit more which I think would benefit us more than getting in (say) Adam and keep Lucas where he's been playing this season. That would allow us to play a more 'pass and move' style which something I belive most of us want.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #7780 on: March 23, 2011, 09:32:24 pm »
I wouldn't say he couldn't tackle, just that he made the wrong decision when to. Even his sending off against Everton was a bit unlucky IIRC, he went to pull out of the tackle but it was too late and his momentum carried him forward into the player and he got his second yellow for it. And he gave away a penalty in the last five minutes against Wigan (we were 1-0 up and got caught out with Lucas having cover in the box). That, amongst other things, like replacing Gerrard against Everton got a lot of people on his back. It's taken a few years but he's finally being accepted as a first team member.

As for him being DM, I don't know if I'd be happy for him to continue playing there. Obviously he can play there but going forward, a second volante is something I'd have hope to see this season but circumstances have dictated that that's not to be. Now that we can (hopefully) buy some quality players again, maybe get someone to sit alongide or a bit deeper than him and allow Lucas to move a bit higher up the pitch more regularly. He'd be able to link in with the attacking players a bit more which I think would benefit us more than getting in (say) Adam and keep Lucas where he's been playing this season. That would allow us to play a more 'pass and move' style which something I belive most of us want.

And what is "second volante". It could mean "fu##ing anything", mate!

:wave :wave ;D
Ludi Circenses!

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7781 on: March 23, 2011, 09:37:13 pm »
Oooohh I like that :P

Just call me NEO from now on.

Nerd

I think you are talking about his second season mate. The wigan match defo was second season when we were in the midst of a title challenge. His first season he was badly in need of conditioning, his tackling was poor and so was his decision making. Rafa put him in that role to grow and he has really grown.

I am with you on the wanting him to play further forward as that is his natural inclination. I really WANt to see what he can do in the box-to-box role.

Offline mulhergremista

• Kopite
« Reply #7782 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:08 pm »
Lucas is not going anywhere.

I hope the good Lord and the management of Liverpool hear you.  WE should twit him a lot until we acheive a trend of #LucasPleaseStay

Please write it in a proper English and retweet

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7783 on: March 23, 2011, 09:51:16 pm »
Nerd
I think you are talking about his second season mate. The wigan match defo was second season when we were in the midst of a title challenge. His first season he was badly in need of conditioning, his tackling was poor and so was his decision making. Rafa put him in that role to grow and he has really grown.

I am with you on the wanting him to play further forward as that is his natural inclination. I really WANt to see what he can do in the box-to-box role.

Everton game when he should have scored the winner was the first season I think. I think people were still wondering what his role was and what he did and then the Wigan/Everton FA Cup games were in his second season. He got a lot of shit for those 2 games. The other thing is in his first 2 seasons, he was replacing Alonso, Mascherano and/or Gerrard when he came into the side so it was always going to be difficlut to perform at the same level of those three given where each of those where in their career.

I really don't think his tackling was poor in that period, it was ok and needed to be improved but it was more about his decison making in when to go for a tackle that was the issue for me. Being the type of player he is though, he's sorted it out - and you're right about the reasons for Rafa playing him deeper, it's really paying dividends.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7784 on: March 23, 2011, 10:03:49 pm »
Yes, tis inevitable but I can't wait. How can anyone possibly take that seriously?

Not in this league. It's obvious Lucas isn't good enough as a DM. It's just that everyone else he's played against is even worse. Funny that.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7785 on: March 23, 2011, 10:09:10 pm »
And what is "second volante". It could mean "fu##ing anything", mate!

:wave :wave ;D

;D

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #7786 on: March 23, 2011, 10:15:00 pm »
I hope the good Lord and the management of Liverpool hear you.  WE should twit him a lot until we acheive a trend of #LucasPleaseStay

Please write it in a proper English and retweet

I hope #PleaseStayWithLFC is close enough. I didn't include his name, though.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7787 on: March 24, 2011, 03:19:13 am »
Lucas v Sunderland first half. See if I can do the second half if there's time.

1st half
00.09 – Lucas intercepts a Sunderland header, plays it to Spearing
00.25 – Intercepts, Liverpool regain possession
 00.31 – Passes to Spearing, who gives it away
01.21 – Passes back to Danny Agger under pressure
02.21 – Fouls Sunderland player to break up a move down our left side in our half.
05.09 – Wins defensive header
05.41 – Directs header to player in opposition half – unchallenged, anticipates well
6.05 – Misses interception, Agger covers quickly
08.17 – Clearance
08.21 – Wins defensive header
08.57 – Presses Sessegnon, who plays it out
09.27 – Welbeck goes past
10.59 – Intercepts high in Sunderland half, but ball goes to Sunderland player
19.21 – Tussles for ball from long kick from Mignolet, ball bounces through to our defenders
20.09 – Simple forward pass to Suarez
22.31 – Ball over the top to Meireless that nearly puts him in on goal. Chaos in the box, finally a corner for us
23.23 – Beaten by Sunderland player but chases back and gets on the ball. Welbeck wins it back
24.40 – Goes from pressing one side of the pitch (our left) defensive third to the right within a few seconds, finally pressing Bardsley into wasting a cross
25.03 – Wins it from Malbranque, plays it to Suarez
26.47 – Loses defensive header, ball goes to Glenn
26.53 – Heads Sunderland clearance to Liverpool player
27.22 – Passes to Agger
27.57 – Passes back to Carragher
28.56 – Unchallenged header in defence
29.28 – Short pass to Carragher
30.52 – Attempts long pass to Spearing, Mensah gets basic control wrong, Spearing moves in on goal. Fouled, Penalty, Kuyt scores.
33.58 – Fouls opponent in the air. Sunderland freekick comes to nothing.
35.44 – Anticipates, gets the ball, plays it to Carra
36.50 – Wins possession in Sunderland half, plays it down the line to Kuyt, who’s the victim of a poor tackle.
38.10 – Short header to Carroll
39.30 – Good tackle, wins it off Welbeck
39.34 – Good forward pass to Suarez (commentator picks up on it as well)
40.21 – Anticipates, resulting in him getting a free header in Sunderland third
40.27 – Stops malbranque in Sunderland third, but another Sunderland player helps out
40.38 – Anticipates, cuts out the pass and passes to Suarez, but too much pace on the pass. Suarez can’t control.
41.22 – Takes him time, assesses options, then picks a beautiful through ball to Carroll (commentator picks up on it ). We win a corner.
43.42 – Crucial touch to win the ball just outside penalty area. Liverpool counter, Suarez fouled. On replay, Suarez milks it really.
 44.51 – Wins header high in Sunderland half
 45.02 – Short pass to Suarez, receives the return, short pass to Kuyt
45.39 – Wins header, but ball goes to Sunderland player
47.41 – Looks for options, nothing, short pass back to Carra

Note that Liverpool did not deserve to lead at the break. That was a half of football in which Sunderland dominated us, yet we were the ones with the shots on goal. Yet even in such a half, he was probably our most penetrative passer, although Spearing put in some good passes as well, one to Carroll really stood out.

If any of the 'he's merely competent / shit' brigade are actually arsed about putting in the work and rewatch games rather than spouting generalisations, note how many times he seems able to get free headers and interceptions in key areas of the pitch, a knack which Alonso had as well. That's good anticipation, and something that even I had forgotten about his game until I rewatched it.

Really, if you think he's just competent, when Lucas was the best covering midfielder among both teams in the first half, a half Sunderland dominated, you should pick another game to engage in. It's ridiculous that it's come to this.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 03:21:52 am by surfer »

Offline macmanaman

• doo doo dedoo doo
  • Kopite
  • Rafalution
« Reply #7788 on: March 24, 2011, 03:42:22 am »
Lucas v Sunderland first half. See if I can do the second half if there's time.

1st half
00.09 – Lucas intercepts a Sunderland header, plays it to Spearing
00.25 – Intercepts, Liverpool regain possession
 00.31 – Passes to Spearing, who gives it away
01.21 – Passes back to Danny Agger under pressure
02.21 – Fouls Sunderland player to break up a move down our left side in our half.
05.09 – Wins defensive header
05.41 – Directs header to player in opposition half – unchallenged, anticipates well
6.05 – Misses interception, Agger covers quickly
08.17 – Clearance
08.21 – Wins defensive header
08.57 – Presses Sessegnon, who plays it out
09.27 – Welbeck goes past
10.59 – Intercepts high in Sunderland half, but ball goes to Sunderland player
19.21 – Tussles for ball from long kick from Mignolet, ball bounces through to our defenders
20.09 – Simple forward pass to Suarez
22.31 – Ball over the top to Meireless that nearly puts him in on goal. Chaos in the box, finally a corner for us
23.23 – Beaten by Sunderland player but chases back and gets on the ball. Welbeck wins it back
24.40 – Goes from pressing one side of the pitch (our left) defensive third to the right within a few seconds, finally pressing Bardsley into wasting a cross
25.03 – Wins it from Malbranque, plays it to Suarez
26.47 – Loses defensive header, ball goes to Glenn
26.53 – Heads Sunderland clearance to Liverpool player
27.22 – Passes to Agger
27.57 – Passes back to Carragher
28.56 – Unchallenged header in defence
29.28 – Short pass to Carragher
30.52 – Attempts long pass to Spearing, Mensah gets basic control wrong, Spearing moves in on goal. Fouled, Penalty, Kuyt scores.
33.58 – Fouls opponent in the air. Sunderland freekick comes to nothing.
35.44 – Anticipates, gets the ball, plays it to Carra
36.50 – Wins possession in Sunderland half, plays it down the line to Kuyt, who’s the victim of a poor tackle.
38.10 – Short header to Carroll
39.30 – Good tackle, wins it off Welbeck
39.34 – Good forward pass to Suarez (commentator picks up on it as well)
40.21 – Anticipates, resulting in him getting a free header in Sunderland third
40.27 – Stops malbranque in Sunderland third, but another Sunderland player helps out
40.38 – Anticipates, cuts out the pass and passes to Suarez, but too much pace on the pass. Suarez can’t control.
41.22 – Takes him time, assesses options, then picks a beautiful through ball to Carroll (commentator picks up on it ). We win a corner.
43.42 – Crucial touch to win the ball just outside penalty area. Liverpool counter, Suarez fouled. On replay, Suarez milks it really.
 44.51 – Wins header high in Sunderland half
 45.02 – Short pass to Suarez, receives the return, short pass to Kuyt
45.39 – Wins header, but ball goes to Sunderland player
47.41 – Looks for options, nothing, short pass back to Carra

Note that Liverpool did not deserve to lead at the break. That was a half of football in which Sunderland dominated us, yet we were the ones with the shots on goal. Yet even in such a half, he was probably our most penetrative passer, although Spearing put in some good passes as well, one to Carroll really stood out.

If any of the 'he's merely competent / shit' brigade are actually arsed about putting in the work and rewatch games rather than spouting generalisations, note how many times he seems able to get free headers and interceptions in key areas of the pitch, a knack which Alonso had as well. That's good anticipation, and something that even I had forgotten about his game until I rewatched it.

Really, if you think he's just competent, when Lucas was the best covering midfielder among both teams in the first half, a half Sunderland dominated, you should pick another game to engage in. It's ridiculous that it's come to this.

Damn, how long did this take you mate ?

Lucas seemed to involve a lot in our play.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7789 on: March 24, 2011, 03:47:13 am »
Thanks for the great work mate. You would have to say that this was probably one of his poorer, (for lack of a better word), performances too. I would love to see this type of breakdown of the manc game or either chelsea games.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7790 on: March 24, 2011, 04:27:02 am »
Not too long, maybe an hour plus. The best thing would be for those who don't think he's good enough to go through his game again. Doubts over the player are not going to be sorted by dealing in words and generalisations again and again.

Then again, it takes far less work to say 'he passes sideways and backwards' and 'football is a game of opinions'.

Offline new-red

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7791 on: March 24, 2011, 07:09:03 am »
Not too long, maybe an hour plus. The best thing would be for those who don't think he's good enough to go through his game again. Doubts over the player are not going to be sorted by dealing in words and generalisations again and again.

Then again, it takes far less work to say 'he passes sideways and backwards' and 'football is a game of opinions'.

well lad, after suggesting someone should make a log of his chelsea game I decided to do it myself. I tried to be succinct but I couldn't do it as I wanted to provide context. What will follow now is 4 notebook pages of Lucas' direct involvements in the play. I have to note that Lucas' positioning was fucking sound all game. I really enjoyed watching this game, our away fixture to stamford bridge. I only documented the first half because it took me 1.50hr to go through and make my observations.

He did as much off the ball as he did on. He was tremendous. And as we all know, the second half was even beter from him.

Anyways, here it is Lucas vs. Chelsea (A) first half:

.10: Kickoff, pass back to lucas, lucas plays it to agger.
.20: Essien passes forward, goes right to lucas who plays it first time to Raul. RM plays it to SG who suffers mikel tackle, yellow card mikel.
1.07: drops deep to receive pass from carra, turns and plays it 15 yards to the left to GJ who is in space.
1.22: receives pass from maxi near halfway line, passes to GJ on left touchline again, moves forward immediately into space, retreats after not recieving pass.
2.15: offside against chelsea, skrtel plays quick pass to lucas, lucas turns, moves laterally, plays quick short pass to gerrard then continues movement, gerrard plays it right back, lucas then plays it to MK who has it poked out.
2.55: immediately clear he hasa job to mark anelka in own half. he anticipates the pass to anelka and moves to close down. Pass instead played to the left, lucas recovers position immediately.
3.17: Skrtel clears chelsea ball over the top. Meireles picks it up and plays it to lucas who immeditately plays 10 yard square ball to GJ in space. Begins attacking move.
4.50: Agger receives cross field ball from carra, lucas drops deeper to recieve agger pass, one touch and pokes to skrtel who plays to carra who plays it long forward.
5.24: attempts to tackle anelka at top of center circle, misses and retreats. nothing comes of it.
7.11: moves to close down anelka who misplays pass, out for chelsea throw by carra. Poor play by anelka.
7.42: Anelka receives pass off throw, lucas closes down, anelka passes before tackle attempted, ball moves into box, out for throw by carra.
8.48: Cech punt to drogba but bounces off shins to lucas who plays it first time into space so carra moves forward, lucas immediately shows for return pass but is ignored.
9.47: mikel moves over halfway line and is closed down by lucas and has to pass it backwards
10.00-10.12: constantly tracking any chelsea player moving into space in front of his position so as to be able to close down any forward pass immediately.
10.28: kelly in trouble, passes to lucas 3 yards away, lucas plays it forward seemingly to raul but goes by him into space and maxi runs onto it. Dont know if that was intendded but nevertheless another attack started.
11.43: clever flick by raul to lucas who is in acres of space, looks right, looks forward, moves forward a couple of paces and then plays 20 yard ball to the left to GJ in a lot of space.
14.03: Lucas closes down anelka and pressures him, he plays it back to essien who switches play.
14.22: Agger plays it to lucas who one times it back to agger who is now in space. Agger plays a nice pass forward but attack ends in offside.
15.45: Skrtel tackles anelka, (very lucky), lucas drops deep to pick up ball, turns forward and has acres of space. Carries ball forward 10-15 yards, lays it off to gerrard and makes a forward run. SG switches play to left.
16.10: chelsea play it forward, carra intercepts and one-touches to lucas who looks forward before playing it square to the right to gerrard who in a lot of space.
19.02: carra beats drogba in the air, heads it to GJ with acres of space on left. Lucas shows for pass, receives it, moves forward, looks right, pulls it back and plays it to the left to maxi.
19.10: Maxi has no pass on so lucas makes a nice forward run into space. Maxi passes it to kuyt who is a little further up-field than lucas, lucas recovers position.
20.22: Chelsea pass into box for torres who is stood up well by lucas. Meireles nicks it off torres, falls to lucas, lucas carries it forward out of the box, just before he is closed down he plays it forward to kuyt who is fouled.
25.35: A. Cole plays it to anelka who is immediately closed down by lucas who puts a foot in and tackles ball back into CFC half.
26.42: Chelsea set piece to back post, lucas is in space but heads it out for corner to be safe.
28.25: Essien played into the corner, tries to go round agger, slips, maxi covers and plays quick pass to lucas who is just inside our box, lucas calmly looks for a forward pass then plays it to the left to maxi who has just moved forward. Attack started.
29.35-30.17: Chelsea attack ended when reina sweeps up just outside box, reina one-time pass to GJ, lucas shows for pass, receives, looks forward, no pass on, plays it to the left for SG, then moves forward. SG plays it back to GJ who then passes to lucas who now is in space, SG comes to pick up ball and lucas obliges and then moves forward. SG switches play. SG moves to receive pass, receives and plays it to lucas who one times it to skrtel.

30.30: skrtel plays it to agger, agger plays to lucas just below center circles, agger moves forward, lucas passes back to agger who has more space now.

30.36: Agger has no forward pass and plays it back to lucas who is bodied off the ball by drogba, leads to torres chance.

31.28: Gerrard w/ strong game thus far but plays very poor pass forward. Ivanovic intercepts but can't control, lucas springs forward from DM position and beats mikel to loose ball and has composure to one touch pass to kuyt who is in space in front of chelsea defense. Leads to shot by raul. Very good play by lucas.

36.13: puts good pressure ion Anelka at midway line, anelka can't turn and has to play it back to mikel.

36.43: Liverpool attack, chelsea try to clear but lucas aint having it and rises to meet clearance with a great header at midfield that fins maxi 20 yards into Chelsea half. Liverpool continue pressure on defense.

37.16: Cech punts downfield, Carra heads forward, Lucas challenges Drogba for ball, holds him off, then kelly blocks off drogba, Cole closes down lucas but LL passes forward and finds kuyt who mis-controls. out for cfc throw.

38.24 Agger tackles ball off torres, falls to LL who one-times it to MR on the left. MR plays it square to GJ, GJ passes to lucas in the middle, Lucas mis-controls and ball runs under his foot.

Gary Gillespie then proceeds to say LFC guilty of giving away possession in that area of the pitch and singles out lucas as the main offender. ridiculous.

39.09: skrtel clears down field, ivanovic heads it forward, lucas and anelka battle to get to loose ball, LL wins and carries it forward only to be subject to a 2-footed tackle by terry but no foul awarded. LL picks himself up a few seconds later and recovers position.

40.07: Cole clears down field, Lucas heads it smartly forward to gerrard and anoher attack started.
42.02: Ivanovic heads skrtel's long ball forward, bounces to lucas who plays it first time to SG. Another attack started.

42.43: Lucas fouls mikel just outside the box. Lucas has to run from his position to cover mikel's run. Gillespie thinks mikel bought Freekick off referee.

44.42: Carra switches play nicely to GJ. LL shows for pass, recieves it, tries a long pass to the right onto kelly's head while under pressure. results in LFC throw.

And that is the first half folks. No way I am doing another one of these but it was a pleasing experience.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui ιcrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7792 on: March 24, 2011, 08:46:47 am »
Is Lucas in the Brasil Squad to play Scotland on  Sunday?

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7793 on: March 24, 2011, 08:49:26 am »
Is Lucas in the Brasil Squad to play Scotland on  Sunday?

Yes

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7794 on: March 24, 2011, 09:22:07 am »
Why not though? I see what you're saying in the rest of the paragraph, but I don't really understand that point of view. I believe the absolute majority of his best games, many of them excellent, as come when his been the covering midfielder (not so much holding under Kenny atleast). Off the top of my head - Hull, Debrecen, Wolves, Burnley, end of the game against Bolton last season (all those he played instead of Masch, and not with him), Chelsea, the Mancs, Blackburn and many more this season. Of course there's been some very good games when he's got more attacking intructions as the 'second volante', but it's been few and far between. He had a great game against Newcastle a few seasons back, West Ham last season, but other than that, I can't think of many. You could say he played the same role in some big games too, most notably in that 4-1 win against the Mancs, but I think it was his defensive qualities, positioning, constant harrassing that stood out, not that he took control with his passing ability and forward runs.

I just don't see the need to move him further forward. In fact, under Dalglish, when the midfielder are encouraged to move about more, but still have one of them covering most of the time, it's perfect to have a player like Lucas at the base. He can join in an attack when there's an oppertunity, surprise the opposition, but we'll still use his (imo) best qualites most of the 90 minutes. That's his quick, accurate first time pass to start our attacks (I think his passing is more effective from deep, he's got more options, more angles to work with, and there's no need to play a 'creative' pass from there, if you get what I mean), his positioning, his much improved tackling, and his reading of the game.

I'm not convinced Adam is the answer, but a player like him would be perfect alongside - or rather - ahead of Lucas. A Xavi, to Lucas Busquets, if you will.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7795 on: March 24, 2011, 09:43:21 am »

Thanks for that. Reviewed well, I found myself recalling parts of the game reading it.

That's the thing about Lucas though, it's not just Chelsea or Sunderland, review any of his games, and chances are, we'll be typing something not too dissimilar to the above. I think I remember someone saying on this thread that he needs to seize the game like Roy Keane did, if that's how some view the game, it wouldn't have mattered if we had signed Keane in his prime as Roy Keane, in the middle part of his career, the part where he won the European Cup and multiple titles, (ie after the Forest and early Utd phase, where he was more of a goalscoring box to box player) did a lot of exactly what Lucas does now. Hell Keane himself is on record as saying he had trouble making it in the beginning because he did the things that didn't stand out. Brilliance, beating three players before scoring etc stood out, he said, not putting in the work, covering, making tackles. Applies to our Lucas almost word for word.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 09:46:56 am by surfer »

Offline Forman

• Main Stander
« Reply #7796 on: March 24, 2011, 10:16:05 am »
He's proving to be a very important player since Alonso left. The team seems to be a lot more composed with him in it. It's blinding obvious how much passion the lad has for playing and i'm chuffed for him. Hope he's around for year to come and doesn't get shipped out as soon as decent bids start to come in for him.

Offline smig

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7797 on: March 24, 2011, 10:29:46 am »
This thread's a fuckin' farce!
"Fire in your belly comes from pride and passion in wearing the red shirt."

Offline barneyk100

• Main Stander
  • Our lads have come from all over the place
« Reply #7798 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:16 am »
I think you'll find it's a vast collection of well reasoned discussion and disection of what Lucas brings to a football team backed up with facts, figures, video and a wealth of other evidence. From those with one view anyway. If that's what you think a farce is well there's no helping you.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #7799 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:17 am »
This thread's a fuckin' farce!

any sarcasm in that, or just your usual hate? :P
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England