Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 368891 times)

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
Re: The Apple iPad.... awful name awful product
« Reply #600 on: February 14, 2010, 10:20:32 pm »
You're largely missing the point. E-ink's USP is that it draws far, far less power than the alternatives, and is therefore guaranteed to be "worth a wank" to someone.

That's not really much of a USP unless you're somewhere up the Amazon. And e-ink is shit for graphics, colour etc so you'd need a video player of some sort if you want to do anything more than read black and white text.

I can see why Kindle and the like haven't really taken off.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #601 on: February 15, 2010, 12:51:20 am »
That's not really much of a USP unless you're somewhere up the Amazon.
Or want to use a much smaller, lighter and cheaper battery...

And e-ink is shit for graphics, colour etc so you'd need a video player of some sort if you want to do anything more than read black and white text.
Which is what I said in the comment you're replying to. Did I miss something?

I can see why Kindle and the like haven't really taken off.
E-book readers haven't taken off, because very, very few people read enough books to make buying an e-book reader a good idea in terms of saving money or space. Especially considering the draconian DRM restrictions that make the product itself far inferior to real books in important ways. And scares off typical early-adopters.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #602 on: February 15, 2010, 01:08:05 am »
KIndle hasn't done that bad. 1.5 million units sold in the U.S. It's hardly a catastrophe.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #603 on: February 15, 2010, 06:10:21 am »
Why get one "like the iPad" if the iPad does what I want? I haven't seen anything else that does the job (the courier looks like the sort of thing you'd get handed at a convention. It's a software designers idea of what a creative person would want and is way too limited). I'd also have to buy full featured applications as well as all the apps I already have on my iPhone.

HP Tablet
Lenovo IdeaPad U1 hybrid

:D

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #604 on: February 15, 2010, 07:31:19 am »
HP Tablet
Lenovo IdeaPad U1 hybrid

Hmm...

So for the Lenovo I pay twice as much to get a laptop I don't want and a detachable second-rate iPad that won't run any of my apps.

As for the HP "Slate"...

The HP tablet is a basically a color e-reader running Amazon Kindle software, with few other details besides a sub-$500 price point and an estimated arrival on the market by mid-2010. So disappointing was the release that Microsoft and HP's shares fell yesterday according to BusinessWeek.

I'll pass thanks...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #605 on: February 15, 2010, 09:07:16 am »
the best bit about the kindle is that amazon can remove your books whenever they want
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #606 on: February 15, 2010, 10:27:20 am »

I'll pass thanks...

You picked that from an article written before the iPad graced us with it's non-multitasking glory, when everyone was living in the hype of the upcoming Apple marvel. And the quote you picked up doesn't meantion anything specific does it? Unless you buy your products based on the parent company's shares going slightly up or down

What advantages does it actually have over the HP Tablet (Slate)? 3G is all I can find and that's rumoured to be being added any way. (Full HP Slate specs aren't fully known at the moment.)

So in summary:
Slower CPU
Smaller screen, lower resolution
No Camera
No USB
Not being able to browse the net and listen to music at the same time! :P

Ah fuck it, I'm pissing into the wind :D

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #607 on: February 15, 2010, 12:52:31 pm »
Not being able to browse the net and listen to music at the same time! :P

Is that really true?  Even the iPod touch and the iPhone can do that, I would assume the iPad can at least play music in the background too.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #608 on: February 15, 2010, 12:58:45 pm »
i'd think it will have the limited background ability that the iphone has, email, itunes etc
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #609 on: February 15, 2010, 01:41:12 pm »
Is that really true?  Even the iPod touch and the iPhone can do that, I would assume the iPad can at least play music in the background too.

You couldn't however, use a downloaded app to play music whilst doing something else.

I was just overstaying the lack of multitasking in 2010. :)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 01:47:01 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #610 on: February 15, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »
but if you let people do their own thing they'll use it wrong, ffs
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #611 on: February 15, 2010, 02:07:06 pm »
but if you let people do their own thing they'll use it wrong, ffs

Fascist!!

Kinda ironic that in the early 90's what helped MS surpass Apple was the fact any one could develop anything they wanted for Windows based OS's... yet Apple are still pushing their ideals which failed them on a computing platform before..

With phones its not an issue, but this isn't a phone... heck even the Android based OS's are better.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 02:08:50 pm by Kashinoda »

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #612 on: February 15, 2010, 02:12:50 pm »

Of course it isn't true. My iPhone plays music while I surf the net and it picks up emails in the background as well as running my time keeping software in the background. Because of the way the OS works true 'multi-tasking' is a red herring. If I'm working on a spread sheet on the iPhone and flick to email to check something - when I flick back the spreadsheet is open on the same page I left it. The speed with apps open up and the ease of switching means that like the whole USB thing it's a side issue. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #613 on: February 15, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »
Of course it isn't true. My iPhone plays music while I surf the net and it picks up emails in the background as well as running my time keeping software in the background. Because of the way the OS works true 'multi-tasking' is a red herring. If I'm working on a spread sheet on the iPhone and flick to email to check something - when I flick back the spreadsheet is open on the same page I left it. The speed with apps open up and the ease of switching means that like the whole USB thing it's a side issue. 

If my computer had a 10ghz CPU and a SSD hard drive and was super quick, I'd still be proper pissed if I had no USB and was a decade into new millennium

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #614 on: February 15, 2010, 02:24:44 pm »

Do all 3rd party apps return to state when you open them from when you closed them? For example if I'm playing a game and want to check something... if I flick back is it where I left it? This is a sincere question :)

Offline myrlas

• Powered by YaMH (Yet another Mister Happy)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter: @myrlas
« Reply #615 on: February 15, 2010, 03:02:18 pm »
What's the fuzz about lacking of USB?

you sync the device through your computer, and you can attach anything to that, no?

could someone explain to me exactly what they would use/need USB for if they had an iPad?
"Football is simple, you're either on time, or you're too late. If you're too late then you have to leave earlier." Johan Cruyff

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #616 on: February 15, 2010, 03:14:23 pm »
What's the fuzz about lacking of USB?

you sync the device through your computer, and you can attach anything to that, no?

could someone explain to me exactly what they would use/need USB for if they had an iPad?

USB pen drive for one?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #617 on: February 15, 2010, 03:18:57 pm »
yeah but you can't save anything on your ipad except through itunes so...
STFU and agree with me.

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #618 on: February 15, 2010, 03:20:42 pm »

Of course, I'm sorry :(

Offline boots

• upon a hippo only look good if they match the tutu - fact! Oor Wullie, Your Wullie, A'Buddy's Wullie.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #619 on: February 15, 2010, 04:01:26 pm »
Let me get this straight. As far as I can tell the ipad is just an 'Accessible Iphone'? Like those old phones with big buttons.

As for books i prefer paper. Its been fine for thousands of years. If it aint broke....

Typing with my finger on my computer. Other appendages are available.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #620 on: February 15, 2010, 04:20:08 pm »

Shit, I'll have to delete all the documents and drawings I just copied onto my iPhone wirelessly without using iTunes. Why would you want to use a cable when you can copy things wirelessly? No USB on the ipad = no floppy drive on the iMac. Not something missing just omitting superceded functionality. Same as The lack of a DVD player. 
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #621 on: February 15, 2010, 04:49:28 pm »
Hi Alan

Do all 3rd party apps return to state when you open them from when you closed them? For example if I'm playing a game and want to check something... if I flick back is it where I left it? This is a sincere question :)

Online Kashinoda

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #622 on: February 15, 2010, 04:52:41 pm »
Shit, I'll have to delete all the documents and drawings I just copied onto my iPhone wirelessly without using iTunes. Why would you want to use a cable when you can copy things wirelessly? No USB on the ipad = no floppy drive on the iMac. Not something missing just omitting superceded functionality. Same as The lack of a DVD player. 

Why should you need to cater to the iPad so much for christ sake? Suppose your friend wanted to give you a document he had on a USB drive... you'd have to tell him to prepare to send it wirelessly which he might not be able to do. Or you'd have to take his pen drive home where you can transfer it from a proper PC/Mac.

It's too restricting!!!

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #623 on: February 15, 2010, 05:01:20 pm »
kashinoda, you're not going to use it right so you can't have one

Steve Jobs says.
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #624 on: February 15, 2010, 07:07:37 pm »

It could well be crap - until I've actually tried one I'll reserve judgement - all I'm trying to point out is that none of us have got one yet and a lot of the objections are predictable and seem to be based on the fact that it isn't a PC netbook. It's not meant to be.

One of the most useful bits of information I learnt in my business is that the latest release of software and the most powerful machine are way below proper training and good systems & practice when it comes to maximising efficiency and profitability. Obsessing over processor speed and the latest upgrades to the OS is for nerds. I prefer something that does what I want out of the box - if the iPad is useful to me I'll buy one - if it isn't and some other device does the job - I'll get one of those.

Simple really.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline myrlas