Author Topic: Ra-ra-ra-rafa Benitez...  (Read 135456 times)

Offline finchy1972

• Legacy Fan
  • Here's a story of a poor boy
Re: Ra-ra-ra-rafa Benitez...
« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2010, 11:49:39 am »
Bill Shankly once went 7 years without winning anything.If he was LFC manager today the Gutter press and glory hunters would have called for his head also.Have faith,patience, show others why liverpool fans are different.If we start sacking people after a poor run of form, we become just like everybody else. History indicated that the most successful clubs stick with their managers, even during bad times
Spot on
Whatever we are , we are , whatever we will be is yet to be written .

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2010, 02:56:30 pm »
Say all you want, but you CANNOT peg today on Rafa. The witch-hunt will no doubt continue, but I can't blame him for today.

Offline Mr. Miyagi

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2010, 03:15:37 pm »
Yeah Rafa deserves no criticism.

The team put in just the sort of performance that deserved to win that game. We should have won 2-0 or 2-1 at the very least.

Ref was horrendeous and we have suffered the last minute heebie jeebies yet again, which comes from a lack of confidence and general bad luck this season.

It's almost like the Gods have said: "To restore balance and equilibrium to the universe, we will let you win the European Cup from 3-0 down at half time but then we are going to shit on you for sustained periods for the next five seasons"

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: January 16, 2010, 03:22:02 pm »
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez: "The fans are amazing. If I decide to stay here it will be because of the fans. I will keep going. Sometimes you have bad moments and now is the time when we have to show character."

Offline qbduncan

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #364 on: January 16, 2010, 03:23:23 pm »
Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez: "The fans are amazing. If I decide to stay here it will be because of the fans. I will keep going. Sometimes you have bad moments and now is the time when we have to show character."

Press will have a field day with this...

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #365 on: January 16, 2010, 03:25:46 pm »

Okay, what the fuck??

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: January 16, 2010, 03:27:03 pm »
Cue "RAFA THREATENS TO QUIT" drama.

Failing to take the next sentance "I will keep going" into any consideration.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline RedSoul9

• Anny Roader
  • Epic Swindle
« Reply #367 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:46 pm »

wouldnt read too much in to that..but his time is running out, that theres no doubt.
When I was going through those moments of uncertainty a lot of fans supported me, saying: 'We want you to stay. But at the end of the day, if you don't, we wish you all the best and we are happy that you have been here.' I am very grateful for that. I am here now, and very happy to be here. There is no other club like Liverpool. - Xabi Alonso

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #368 on: January 16, 2010, 03:28:48 pm »
If he quits do the club have to pay him off?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #369 on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »

No.

Offline Mahern

• Kopite
« Reply #370 on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:10 pm »
Bill Shankly once went 7 years without winning anything.If he was LFC manager today the Gutter press and glory hunters would have called for his head also.Have faith,patience, show others why liverpool fans are different.If we start sacking people after a poor run of form, we become just like everybody else. History indicated that the most successful clubs stick with their managers, even during bad times

Well in Purps!!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #371 on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »

No. He will be going against the terms of his contract.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline dzaek

• Paid on the quality of his posts - currently owes the Mods £275
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Please Please The Reds!!!!!
    • The Economics of Football is Astounding!
« Reply #372 on: January 16, 2010, 03:30:44 pm »
i know what's happened. it's his goatee... problems crop up ever since he's kept it
"The Best Things To Do In Life Are To Do Those Others Believe You Can't." - dzaek

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: January 16, 2010, 03:31:23 pm »
I'd rather resign my job than get sacked but then again if Rafa is sacked he would get compensation.

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #374 on: January 16, 2010, 03:44:25 pm »
I'd rather resign my job than get sacked but then again if Rafa is sacked he would get compensation.

It is entirely possible that he could get compensation if he quits. It's not as smple as some people see the world. Depends on his contract details. It's estimated that it could take between £20 and £30 Million to sack him because it is almost certain that nhis whole team would go.

Illustrates the idiotic decision to give any manager such a long contract and such a free hand.

What we should be concentrating on is being ignored by the boards.

Rafa is not a warm touchy feely people person (accept that), but who is in charge of motivarional man management. Please don't tell me Sammy Lee. Do we even have a sports psychologist?

Shank's great trick was getting unlikely performances out of decent but not great players. We have a number of decent players but aren't getting a normal performance from them.

Skill/ability - tactics and motivation are what is needed to get trophies. Its the third element that is missing in trumps.

Its amazing how fast injuries clear up and confidence soars in a motivated team
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline Zappa

• Old OCB Rep
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Shankly's man 60yrs served come December
« Reply #375 on: January 16, 2010, 03:46:29 pm »

True indeed- i was there, but we were always in the mix or thereabouts and the team was always well motivated confident and worth watching (Bar a handful of poor performances)
There ain't no money in poetry
That's what sets the poet free
I've had all the freedom I can stand

Offline TOMMO86

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: January 16, 2010, 03:48:45 pm »
His interview is intresting. Saying if I stay its because of the fans. I think for the first time he is thinking of walking.

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #377 on: January 16, 2010, 03:50:13 pm »

Truly well said! This man gave us something special in 2005. That man now needs our support at this moment. Get behind him. Stay united and loyal.

Rafa, you'll never walk alone!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 03:56:05 pm by Michael Osmann »
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: January 16, 2010, 03:50:48 pm »
His interview is intresting. Saying if I stay its because of the fans. I think for the first time he is thinking of walking.

I'm sure this is not the first time.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #379 on: January 16, 2010, 03:51:48 pm »

I wouldn't blame him with the press on his back and the yanks not giving him any help his reputation as a top class manager is getting a battering. If the fans turn against him I think he would walk, at the moment I think that's the only thing keeping him here and if he quit tomorrow he'd walk into a top class job, most likely at his boyhood club.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Una cerveza, por favor

• As cold as ice... and almost as interesting.™
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ¡Sí sí sí, la Copa ya está aquí!
    • JFT96
« Reply #380 on: January 16, 2010, 03:53:41 pm »
I wouldn't blame him with the press on his back and the yanks not giving him any help his reputation as a top class manager is getting a battering. If the fans turn against him I think he would walk, at the moment I think that's the only thing keeping him here and if he quit tomorrow he'd walk into a top class job, most likely at his boyhood club.

And I won't be surprised if Madrid start twatting everyone.
C'est la vie.

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #381 on: January 16, 2010, 03:57:48 pm »
And I won't be surprised if Madrid start twatting everyone.

i dont think he wants to go to real under the current presidencies.....he wont last long if he lose a game there
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Online wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #382 on: January 16, 2010, 03:58:25 pm »
Truly well said! This man gave us something special in 2005. That man now needs our support at this moment. Get behind him. Stay united and loyal.

Rafa, you'll never walk alone!

But will the players?  ???

Offline azzi

• Main Stander
    • Me
« Reply #383 on: January 16, 2010, 03:59:10 pm »

i think he means this is why he stayed at the club and signed a new contract because of the fans dont think he meant it i may quit

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #384 on: January 16, 2010, 04:00:23 pm »
But will the players?  ???

Well i think today proved they will, might not have being pretty but it was all heart

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #385 on: January 16, 2010, 04:01:00 pm »
In Rafa I trust 100%

I think it's more like if Rafa feels that he doesn't have the support of the fans anymore then he'll leave. Judging from today though it was great to hear his name being sung so loud.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline kopitecrash

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: January 16, 2010, 04:02:18 pm »
I believe in him, and very little is going to convince me that he is the wrong guy for the job. He has brought this club far enough that this position is a bad one, and yet throughout the 90's he had positions like this. Even in the new millennium we have had times like this. The key is that we survive it and that the club continues to grow.
You could open a door with him, he's such a knob.

Offline SimplyRed91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: January 16, 2010, 04:03:17 pm »

This

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #388 on: January 16, 2010, 04:03:34 pm »
I still and will support Rafa...
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: January 16, 2010, 04:07:08 pm »
Ain't no way that Sky's Andy Burton would have questioned Ferguson, Ancelotti etc the way he quizzed Rafa.... It's a joke that he gets treated like shite from the media as well as some of those that follow our club

Offline robbie96

• Legacy Fan
  • Cometh the hour, Cometh the man!
« Reply #390 on: January 16, 2010, 04:10:21 pm »

Still struggling to figure out - where this quote came from .... it wasn't on Sky?! :wave
Iain Macintosh via Twitter:
Bosingwa almost starts a riot by getting subbed and trudging off the pitch like a old border collie making his final trip to the vet.

Offline decky

• Legacy Fan
  • DOYA
    • I play in a band you know
« Reply #391 on: January 16, 2010, 04:11:13 pm »

He is talking about when he extended his contract

Offline JamieB

• Legacy Fan
  • Winning isn't important, it's everything
« Reply #392 on: January 16, 2010, 04:17:04 pm »

No he's not
Pass and Move its the Liverpool Groove,
Go Robbie, Go Robbie, Go!

Offline Turkmeister

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • Blah!
« Reply #393 on: January 16, 2010, 04:21:10 pm »
Still struggling to figure out - where this quote came from .... it wasn't on Sky?! :wave

It came from the BBC, well it is on there football scores page..

Offline brwah

• Main Stander
  • Eyyyyyyyy!!!
« Reply #394 on: January 16, 2010, 04:36:23 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/8463373.stm

Offline lukas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: January 16, 2010, 05:23:23 pm »

Agree with this.

Think people are looking too much into it.

He wont walk.
PSN:lr3487

Offline djb1980

• Boys Pen
« Reply #396 on: January 16, 2010, 05:26:54 pm »
Its lack of english under pressure. He meant when he decided to stay it was because of the fans.

Offline proudred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: January 16, 2010, 05:29:34 pm »
Rafa Benítez deserves the chance to overachieve with Liverpool again

It is always hard to tell much from Rafael Benitez's manner, so guarded is he in public, but those who see a dead man walking must have felt a burst of schadenfreude when he emerged for his Friday press conference clutching his notes.

By Duncan White
Published: 4:37PM GMT 16 Jan 2010

A Nixon-style resignation speech? No, a Clinton-style apology.

That simple assumption of responsibility, that simple act of modest contrition, punctured some of the mounting hysteria and bloodlust.

This is a man who is not doing his job very well, a man who used to do his job very well indeed less than a year ago. Is it entirely heretical to suggest that Benítez might deserve a chance to put right the mess he has made of this season?

This kind of hysteria is ultimately driven by results, but they have been bad for a while. Suddenly we have reached the tipping point.

The ex-players are wheeled out to pronounce the death sentence but, when it comes to running a multi-million pound football club, do they have credibility? Ronnie Whelan has not managed for eight years but when he did it was Southend and some clubs in Cyprus and Greece. Jason McAteer? He was sacked as John Barnes' assistant at Tranmere this season. Not exactly judges with gravitas.

What about the supporters? There has been fierce loyalty to Benítez at Anfield over the years, especially when he has taken on Tom Hicks and George Gillett. Now a significant portion of the support has turned on Benítez.

It is easy to pour empty flattery on to Liverpool fans, but really they are not much different to football fans the country over. More active than many in taking a direct interest in how the club is run on every level, sure, but still prone to shouting one thing at the final whistle and thinking another when reflecting in the pub.

The mentality of the pack, the mass, the herd develops its own momentum and, from the outside, it is hard to see Benítez surviving beyond the end of the season. This is a real pity because Benítez – eccentric, political, stubborn and vindictive as he can be – is a man who has been overachieving ever since he arrived at Anfield.

Take this rather imperfect analogy: Benítez as a Formula 1 driver. He comes in and starts driving for a team that has a resonant name, a history full of great deeds, fresh memories of famous victories. The problem is, the car isn't good enough. The owner's not putting the money in, the marketing guys can't get the lucrative sponsorship deals and the engineers are complacent.

Still, Benítez drives out of his skin. Race after race, he squeezes every last bit of juice out of this failing car and delivers some famous victories. Then, bang, he loses it. Perhaps it was the persistent technical disasters, that prompted it, but suddenly he is suffused with self doubt: he can't pick the racing line, he breaks too early or too late. He's struggling just to finish, let alone compete.

Now what do you do? Fire the driver? The car is still worse than its rivals – worse and getting worse. For one bad season in which he has failed to overachieve again? You need a special combination of ambition and patience to succeed driving in this team – a combination that is rare enough.

For a start, Liverpool will not sack Benítez before the end of the season (barring open player revolt or a truly comical series of results). Who next? Jose Mourinho? Guus Hiddink? Great drivers but are they going to risk their reputation getting into this car, with its huge expectation but poor performance?

The silver in the trophy cabinet can skew your perspective of a football club. If you are brutally objective about Liverpool, they look like a club equipped for the 20th century not the 21st. Compare them to one of their potential usurpers in the top four, Tottenham Hotspur, who they host at Anfield on Wednesday. It's not a flattering one.

Spurs have not won an away game against the big four since they won in the League Cup at Anfield in November 1998 – that's no away win in 65 attempts. Historically, Liverpool are the superior club. But you look at the future and there is only one club pointing in remotely the right direction.

Tottenham turned a profit last year. The diggers are in at their new training ground at Bulls Cross in Enfield, which will be one of the very best in the world. Planning permission is in for a new 60,000 stadium – the only significant debt the club will take on will be directly linked to the stadium.

If the success of Arsenal's move to the Emirates (the corporate dollar pays: 20 per cent of supporters generate 80 per cent of the earnings) is any guide, Spurs will be able to service that debt with ease.

Liverpool's huge interest payments means that their parent company made a £42.6 million loss in the last financial year. The new stadium in Stanley Park was supposed to be finished by 2012 but remains in limbo, waiting for global economic recovery.

Their debt stands at £240 million but without a hike in match day or commercial revenue, or substantial outside investment, they will spend all profits servicing it, rather than playing catch up on the field. To get Liverpool pointing in the right direction, Christian Purslow, the chief executive, has to turn a tanker in a canal.

On the pitch, Spurs have a squad full of young hungry internationals with a high market value. Even more importantly, they have some of the most promising academy players in the country: John Bostock, Dean Parrett, Andros Townsend and Ryan Mason should all break into the first team in the next few years.

Liverpool have three world class players (Gerrard, Reina, Torres) and a motley crew of the not-quite-first-rate and the definitely-second-rate. The academy has not produced a player deemed fit for Liverpool since Gerrard and seemingly will not any time soon.

Benítez has certainly been one of the main architects of this season's eyesore, but he is also responsible for the construction of some of this club's finest recent monuments.

Dealing with controversial owners and dwindling revenues, Benítez has proved he can get this club punching above its weight. He deserves another round, a chance to put right the mistakes he has made.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: January 16, 2010, 05:29:49 pm »
he'd walk into any job in europe if he left us, rafa knows his true value. hope it turns around quickly for him.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: January 16, 2010, 05:29:51 pm »
Its lack of english under pressure. He meant when he decided to stay it was because of the fans.

Those were his words too. In fact, he used it in the past tense. So, it's absolutely nothing. Unless you're the media.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.