Author Topic: Another PayPal question..  (Read 3103 times)

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
Another PayPal question..
« on: January 2, 2010, 01:03:56 am »
Basically i've brought something from a web site and paid via PayPal

They sent the item via first class international post (from USA) on 11th Dec, but it has still not arrived. The shop have a US customs No, but no tracking number. The store also didn't have an option of insurance when shipping

So my question is, could I claim my money back if I used PayPal, or am i screwed?

PS: Yes I have tried paypal's help, but their live help is fuckin an automated "person", and not an option i can click to contact someone regarding my exact issue

"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
Re: Another PayPal question..
« Reply #1 on: January 2, 2010, 01:08:03 am »
Have you emailed the seller?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #2 on: January 2, 2010, 01:14:33 am »
Yeah...it's not ebay. But i#ve spoken to the store. And al they can give me is the customs No for the parcel
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3 on: January 2, 2010, 01:19:17 am »
Well, I don;t they could have got insurance on an international delivery, or tracking (this is from memory), but I can tell you that once my parents sent me a package from england and it took 2 months. We'd all given it up for lost, but it got here eventually. Hopefully yours will too, at some point. You could put a claim in, but if they have proof that they sent it, I don't think you'll have much luck. Maybe have them scan the shipping receipt and email it to you?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: January 2, 2010, 01:23:11 am »
Google up some tips you'll find something, paypal always favours the buyer good chance you get your money back if you get proof the item aint arrived or something can you open up a disupte ? otherwise its tough
« Last Edit: January 2, 2010, 01:26:27 am by slickman »

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #5 on: January 2, 2010, 01:26:54 am »
but I can tell you that once my parents sent me a package from england and it took 2 months. We'd all given it up for lost, but it got here eventually.

Where did they ship your parcel to?

I'm hoping it's just delayed due to the xmas rush

@ slickman: Google'd it before posting on here and it says pretty much what you have (favours the buyer). But lot of them examples are from eBay.

Offline slickman

• Sold to KrapTalk.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 2, 2010, 01:33:46 am »
Where did they ship your parcel to?

I'm hoping it's just delayed due to the xmas rush

@ slickman: Google'd it before posting on here and it says pretty much what you have (favours the buyer). But lot of them examples are from eBay.

You probaly already tried this but, have you clicked resolution centre and then open case and click  on dispute tranasction, then click find tranasction i.d which is a code for the payment you made, and you should be able to open a case?

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2010, 01:41:02 am »
You probaly already tried this but, have you clicked resolution centre and then open case and click  on dispute tranasction, then click find tranasction i.d which is a code for the payment you made, and you should be able to open a case?

Did not do that. But will go down to the depot tomorrow just incase they are holding it. If they are not, i'll contact the seller to let them know i'm going to open a case with paypal

Pheeny

« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2010, 08:11:50 am »
Basically i've brought something from a web site and paid via PayPal

They sent the item via first class international post (from USA) on 11th Dec, but it has still not arrived. The shop have a US customs No, but no tracking number. The store also didn't have an option of insurance when shipping

So my question is, could I claim my money back if I used PayPal, or am i screwed?

PS: Yes I have tried paypal's help, but their live help is fuckin an automated "person", and not an option i can click to contact someone regarding my exact issue

I've bought stuff from the US in the past and even though it was sent "first class" it took several weeks to arrive.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2010, 11:00:24 am »
I've bought stuff from the US in the past and even though it was sent "first class" it took several weeks to arrive.
Me too, bought cd's years ago and phoned up after two weeks when they didn't arrive. They were good enough to resend them and both packages came about a weeks later.

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #10 on: January 2, 2010, 02:00:02 pm »
That's a bit of a relief then. Will hold out a couple weeks more

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #11 on: January 3, 2010, 12:09:18 pm »
Nah, not a one off. Business is legit. They've been helpful so far

Offline buzzing

• Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2010, 12:10:15 am »
Well guess what turned up today (kind of)

Come back from work to see a "Unfortunately we can't deliver" card. Result me thinks it's finally here.........Oh no. They want me to pay a customs charge. :no. Fair enough still, as by getting it from over seas they need to charge vat (I have no problem with this)

The issue i have is. My item cost about £33. But yet they want me to pay nearly £13 quid for a customs charge...bunch of robbing c*nts.

Pheeny

« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2010, 11:41:49 am »

Come back from work to see a "Unfortunately we can't deliver" card. Result me thinks it's finally here.........Oh no. They want me to pay a customs charge. :no. Fair enough still, as by getting it from over seas they need to charge vat (I have no problem with this)

The issue i have is. My item cost about £33. But yet they want me to pay nearly £13 quid for a customs charge...bunch of robbing c*nts.

next time get them to label the package as books. :wave

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2010, 11:44:51 am »

That happened to me this week with some DVDs, £12.20 they cost me in customs charges. Not had that happen before when ordering DVDs from the US. Still worked out cheaper than getting them here but was still pissed off.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
PayPal
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2020, 01:53:19 am »
So they say in future your going to need SMS verification EVERY time you login.  Talk about overkill.

Not even my online banking does that.

I might use the App on a tablet instead rather than having to do that all the time. 

Thing is  surely its more of a security risk? If my tablet is stolen then they have access to everything!

Offline stoa

• way. Daydream. Quite partial to a good plonking.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Five+One Times, Baby...
Re: PayPal
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2020, 02:29:07 am »
To be honest, I don't think there can be overkill with stuff where you could lose money, if things go wrong and someone gets access to your account. Especially, when the service seems to be quite popular with scammers using phishing-emails and it is also used by people who aren't your typical computer-user and who might not be able to spot those fake mails.

My online-banking has a smartphone-app that is used for two-factor-authentication and it comes up every time you try to log in or want to do anything in the account like making a payment or changing your standing orders or anything else in your personal settings. Can't say I'm overly bothered by it. I'd rather take a couple of seconds to open the app and confirm it's me than possibly lose money, because someone has gained access to my account (no matter how unlikely it is that that actually happens).

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2020, 08:34:21 am »
Everything to do with your personal information and such should have two factor for me. With so many authenticators you can use there is no excuses. If your device gets lost or stolen you can always access your account with back up codes or other recovery methods.

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2020, 09:44:04 am »

Thing is  surely its more of a security risk? If my tablet is stolen then they have access to everything!

No because you'll still have to put your password,  this is extra security.

I use 2FA for every site that has it. It's a little annoying sometimes yes, but it's reassuring to have the added protection. I expect more sites will start forcing it over time.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2020, 10:23:41 am »
Not overkill at all, in fact they should have done it a long time ago.

I use the authenticator app for any site that allows me to. Is it slightly more effort to log in to places? Yeah sure. Does it provide a massive amount of security to my accounts? Yup.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2020, 10:43:40 am »
2FA is always a good idea, especially for somethign like Paypal.

SMS is shit and unsecure though. Should be using an authenticator app or physical token like Yubikey.

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2020, 11:52:58 am »
what if you change number or lose your phone?

PayPal customer service is the worst ever. I have 2 accounts one which is really old and I cant access with my bank acct registered the other with my card etc which works fine but I can't register my bank account because "its already in the system". I have tried to contact them for the last 6 months to get this fixed but nothing happens.

I can't imagine what problems they will have when they implement this SMS verification!

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2020, 01:23:22 pm »
what if you change number or lose your phone?

You are given some backup codes when you enable 2FA which can be used if you lose your phone, lost access to that phone number, or don't have signal. Each code only works once.
You can also enable a fallback option.  For paypal I an authenticator app as the main option with SMS authentication as a fallback.  Also, I use Authy as the authentication app, which can run on more than one device. You should never need to contact customer support about the login.

Generally if you lose the backup codes and access to all 2FA methods you lose access to the account however (not checked paypal's policy but I know this is the case with several other sites I use with 2fa)

Honestly, it's very beneficial from a security point of view and well worth it for users. It's also well worth it for paypal because it removes most  "i didn't buy this, someone hacked my account" type cases that I imagine they have to deal with every day.   To scam/hack someone with 2FA enabled you not only need to steal their login, but you need to be on the phone speaking with them, or clone their sim card, or be physically with them, which makes it a time consuming process.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 01:29:40 pm by Slick_Beef »

Offline rebel23

• Rebel without a cause
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2020, 01:55:30 pm »
Thanks Slick that answers my concerns. I may look at the app as i've never used it before always just used web browser...

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2020, 02:25:56 pm »
The authenticator apps are separate to PayPal, run by another company (Google has one which is what I use) - they just provide the service to PayPal and it can be used on their site via the browser.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2020, 02:56:30 pm »
Microsoft have one too.

It's just an app that takes the unique key to you that it received when you set up, combines it with the current time and puts through an algorithm to generate the 6 digit code.

The site you are using runs the same algorithm and checks the codes match.

It's not infallible though. There are phishing sites that will be designed to look jsut like the Paypal (or wherever) login pages and ask for the 6 digit code, and as soon as you enter it they will immediately use that code to sign in themselves on the genuine Paypal site before the code runs out, then the user will be automatically be redirected to the genuine sign in page none the wiser, thinking something just went wrong and they have to sign in.

This is why a hardware token is more secure if you really want to take it more seriously, as it does the same process but without the user having to type in a code - and potentially be tricked.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2020, 03:02:05 pm by Just Elmo? »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 04:18:09 pm »
A welcome change.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2020, 09:21:18 am »
Is SMS the only option? Because someone could easily get enough of your details to do a SIM swap, it's not at all secure.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 12:02:46 pm »
Is SMS the only option? Because someone could easily get enough of your details to do a SIM swap, it's not at all secure.

It’s not the only option no.

It’s still More secure than just a password though.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 09:25:33 pm »
It's only overkill until you get hacked/phished/scammed.

I think because PayPal is the primary target for a lot of undesirables they are having to roll out extra security measures.

I was getting messages from my bank (nationwide and Mark's and spencer) when I logged  in that 2 factor authentication  was being introduced, but nothing has has changed yet.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 09:29:26 pm »
It's only overkill until you get hacked/phished/scammed.

I think because PayPal is the primary target for a lot of undesirables they are having to roll out extra security measures.

I was getting messages from my bank (nationwide and Mark's and spencer) when I logged  in that 2 factor authentication  was being introduced, but nothing has has changed yet.

2FA got enabled on my Nationwide account about 6 months ago, though it is only SMS which is shit.

Offline gary75

• Despite all his care, he suffers from a sticky ring.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 09:37:40 pm »
2FA got enabled on my Nationwide account about 6 months ago, though it is only SMS which is shit.

I just use the one device to access my bank, my phone, which I suppose renders the 2fa ineffective if sending code to the same device!

Edit, just tried logging in through tablet and received code.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 09:52:23 pm »
I just use the one device to access my bank, my phone, which I suppose renders the 2fa ineffective if sending code to the same device!

Edit, just tried logging in through tablet and received code.
It doesn't render it ineffective, it stops other phones accessing your account.

You still have 2 factors.

What you know: your password.
What you have: your phone (or more accurately, you have access to your phone number).

Offline gray19lfc

• Would like a McFly hairstyle
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm, there's a golden sky ★★★★★★
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2020, 01:03:31 pm »
Raised a dispute for an iPad I bought online. When I opened the box the screen was damaged. PayPal denied the claim because the packaging showed no signs of damage. I called to reopen the case last week and it’s just been denied again today. I’ve called again today to get it sorted but worried I’m going round in circles. Is there anything else I can do to get my money back?

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2020, 04:56:07 pm »
Raised a dispute for an iPad I bought online. When I opened the box the screen was damaged. PayPal denied the claim because the packaging showed no signs of damage. I called to reopen the case last week and it’s just been denied again today. I’ve called again today to get it sorted but worried I’m going round in circles. Is there anything else I can do to get my money back?

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 04:57:30 pm »
Did you buy off a store or a private seller? What sort of card did you use?

Offline gray19lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 05:04:10 pm »
Did you buy off a store or a private seller? What sort of card did you use?
Store. Credit card via PayPal.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 07:24:25 pm »

What are the store saying? There should be a returns policy.

Saving that try your credit card company, they are normally pretty good.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2020, 08:03:08 pm »

How do they know there was no sign of damage on the packaging? I opened a dispute for an item not received on paypal and it took nearly 7 weeks to get money back.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2020, 08:09:10 pm »

Following on from what Craig has said, you need to make a section 75 claim with your card company. We did this over a refurbed laptop that failed outside the 30 day warranty and the seller refused to do anything, credit card company were brilliant and suddenly they accepted it back for repair. It couldn't be fixed, so they gave us a full refund within a couple of weeks.
Jurgen YNWA