Author Topic: Re visit anfield plans?  (Read 12097 times)

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
Re visit anfield plans?
« on: November 13, 2009, 10:28:34 pm »
Not seen anything discussed about this as yet. Do whatever needs doing mods if i have missed it.
The general concensus was Anfield did not have the capacity to generate sufficient income to compete at the top any longer hence the plans for the new stadium ( har de har). When the powers that be decided Anfield could not be expanded, as it was landlocked ( ? ) they plumped for a new site altogether. However this seems to have been abandoned by all accounts.
Which brings me to my point:
Would expanding Anfield now be a realistic alternative? Have the houses adjoining the stadium become free for demolishing? Has the club revisited these options? My first visit this season was last Monday for the Brum game and i noticed how much space there was now down the Kop / main stand area.
Just wondered if we now had the option to redevelop at significantly lower costs since the project was last looked at.
 ???
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Re visit anfield plans?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 12:39:21 am »
Whatever happens we need a new stadium asap to keep up with the other teams, we ave more fans and its a struggle to get tickets. Its the way forward. I think a new state of the art stadium is needed though
YNWA

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:28:50 pm »
It would be a dream come true for me if we could expand and stay at Anfield.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:34:03 pm »
I dont think we've exhausted all options on expanding Anfield, Ive always though there was a possibily of building the stand over the road of the Annie Road end, much like Old Trafford and the Atletico Madrid ground. Theres plenty of space by the Main Stand aswell.

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 05:41:10 pm »
I dont think we've exhausted all options on expanding Anfield, Ive always though there was a possibily of building the stand over the road of the Annie Road end, much like Old Trafford and the Atletico Madrid ground. Theres plenty of space by the Main Stand aswell.

Yeah i think there have been many changes since the initial conception, that's why i think it may be worth another look.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline John@L25

• Kemlynite
  • Twas on a cold December's day back in 1959....
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »

^this^

Offline its cold in the stands

• e e cummings
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 11:37:14 pm »
the day we move away from anfield is the day this club stops being liverpool football club.

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 08:24:23 am »
I don't like the idea of being in a stadium with no atmosphere and an extra 20,000 Japanese and American tourists.  I've been to the Emirates and the new Wembley..these two are standouts in dissapointing stadiums.  I take offence in having to build a new stadium just to use the mone on already overpaid players.

Would I be correct in saying Arsenal have not yet won any silverware since being in the Emirates.
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 08:56:56 am »
I don't like the idea of being in a stadium with no atmosphere and an extra 20,000 Japanese and American tourists.  I've been to the Emirates and the new Wembley..these two are standouts in dissapointing stadiums.  I take offence in having to build a new stadium just to use the mone on already overpaid players.

Would I be correct in saying Arsenal have not yet won any silverware since being in the Emirates.

No idea on the trophy front, BUT it's not as if Highbury was a wall of noise really was it. Wasn't nicknamed Highbury the Library for a laugh...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Offline Red_Skippy

• Kopite
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 04:11:30 pm »
No idea on the trophy front, BUT it's not as if Highbury was a wall of noise really was it. Wasn't nicknamed Highbury the Library for a laugh...

True but it does strick me that more and more stadiums are taking over traditional fotball grounds.  They say it is progression but what about history and culture?  Do they count for anything in the age of player greed?

And some clubs have sold off over 100 years of history in favour of money.  That is what hurts me the most.  I may be a historical traditionalist but it seems to be frowned on in the modern age. 

If LFC end up building a new stadium you can rest assured that the ticket prices will leap a good deal.  The ground may generate more money on match day but it will never capture the same atmoshphere.
I think I love football more than woman...

Offline Morientes-19

• Kopite
  • 61 matches / 12 goals
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

I think it's the ideal scenario for the majority of us. I wish the club would see it as a feasable option.

Exactly. Anfield Road is hardly swarming with traffic, is it? It could easily be built over. Then there's the scruffy terraced houses behind the Centenary and Main Stands which hardly has any tennants as well.
18 League Titles • 7 FA Cup Titles • 8 League Cup Titles • 15 Community Shield Titles • 5 European Cup Titles • 3 UEFA Cup Titles • 3 European Super Cup Titles

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 05:56:33 pm »
I don't like the idea of being in a stadium with no atmosphere and an extra 20,000 Japanese and American tourists.

:no

You're such a fucking idiot. It's cockneys and Irish. Everyone knows that.

Offline ttnbd

• RAWK Chief Financial Officer
  • Legacy Fan
  • ANFIELD4EVER
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 06:06:41 pm »

:no

You're such a fucking idiot. It's cockneys and Irish. Everyone knows that.

don't forget that lot from norway :P
So all say thanks to the Shanks

He never walked alone

Lets sing our song for all the world

From this his Liverpool home

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 06:10:29 pm »
Why don't we build a new stadium, keep Anfield, and convince all OOCs and OOTs that we've moved? Stick a few fans in Liverpool gear to play out a fake game every fortnight. They'll be too busy taking pictures to notice.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #14 on: January 2, 2010, 09:40:16 am »
I think Wembley is a quailty stadium personally, But it would be for the money the FA paid for it!

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 2, 2010, 10:00:25 am »
I think Wembley is a quailty stadium personally, But it would be for the money the FA paid for it!

If this ever does get built HKS do have a reputation for quality at least. Take a look on their website. http://hks.hksinc.com/#/healthcare/

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 2, 2010, 09:57:37 pm »
Why don't we build a new stadium, keep Anfield, and convince all OOCs and OOTs that we've moved? Stick a few fans in Liverpool gear to play out a fake game every fortnight. They'll be too busy taking pictures to notice.

Can I be the Gerrard lookalike?
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline todda

• Who the fuck you trying to kid....
  • Legacy Fan
  • My Team, My Club, MY Life!
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2010, 11:42:33 am »

Totally agree

LOL  :lmao :wellin

I'll Play
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 11:44:45 am by todda »
"Friend 1st, Boss 2nd,......... Enteratiner 3rd!,  If I was asked to name 3 intellegent people, I wouldn't say Einstein, Newton..... erm you know, I'd Say Cleese, Milligan, Everett................ Sessions!" David Brent.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #18 on: February 2, 2010, 05:13:41 am »
There has been stuff posted before but god knows where it is located in this thread about this.

I remember they considered it and found that closing the Main Stand for a season would be too much of a financial loss.
But paying millions for a knew ground would also cost.

Iprefer we stayed at anfield and rebuilt.
The Road end, Main stand and even maybe the Centenary could be expanded.

Once we move from Anfield the club as we know it will be gone.
It will never be the same.

And the people who are for the move will eventually be saying we should have stayed.
I will never set foot in the new ground...
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline alex.

• "Bring out The Blimp!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: February 2, 2010, 02:17:39 pm »
Looks like this is now even less likely to happen (See Purslow minutes when their released) unless we have fan ownership.

Offline Lothairio

• Kopite
  • Facci Sognare
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2010, 05:42:25 pm »
We would prob have to rebuild on 3 sides (Main Stand/Centenary and Anny Rd) to accommodate an extra 30,000 or so. IMO not worth it if were only going for 50-55,000 - miles too small. I think we've still got about 20,000 on waiting list for seasies.
Hat, cap, scarf, or yer badges...

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2010, 12:47:29 pm »
I think they should defiantly look at expanding Anfield.

Offline ConorYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2010, 12:58:42 pm »
We would prob have to rebuild on 3 sides (Main Stand/Centenary and Anny Rd) to accommodate an extra 30,000 or so. IMO not worth it if were only going for 50-55,000 - miles too small. I think we've still got about 20,000 on waiting list for seasies.

The problem with expanding all the stands apart from the Kop is that once its finished. The Kop will be dwarfed by the rest of the ground, which wouldnt be ideal. Also, going by your figures, if the expansion of the other stands produced an extra 30,000 seats, we'd have a capacity of 75,000 rather than 50-55,000. Which would be plenty.

I think they should defiantly look at expanding Anfield.

They have done, and they didnt see it as a viable option. Maybe if SOS are successful then it will be looked at again. But it doesnt look like its going to happen.

Offline incredibleL4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2010, 04:43:12 pm »

I think I posted the idea elsewhere but how about going down instead of up.....turning the pitch 90 degrees, knock the main stand, additional rows in front of (and below) the other three. extend the current kop and anny road stands and build a new Kop over the car park at the players entrance side.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2010, 07:54:28 am »
Is the prospect of adding 2nd tiers over the main stand and/or Annie Rd out of the question (because of the steepness or other safety issues?). This approach may mean less disruption during construction and a smaller increase in the ground's footprint.

Offline AKABillyGee

• AKA Le Pétomane... hasn't read the rules
  • Main Stander
  • Being suspicious served me well
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2010, 03:12:21 pm »
The problem is not increasing capacity at Anfield by another 15 or 20,000, that is feasable by expansion, what cannot be done is increase the commercial activities (and income) to compete with the Mancs, Chelsea and Arsenal. The new stadium will provide five to six times the number of private boxes we have now and will give opportunities to increase commercial revenues on match days by similar amounts.

The average punter may not like this, but even a 65,000 capacity redesigned Anfield full of season ticket holders would only generate at total of £40m of annual gate receipts (from league matches).  When you look at the Mancs turnover of £200m+ it begins to make sense that commercial match day income is now a vastly important revenue stream. The new stadium is targeted at providing £40m a year commercial match day income in addition to gate receipts, something our present stadium could never hope to provide.

The soul may be always at Anfield but football is big business and we are desperate for those revenues that the new stadium will provide.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 12:09:55 pm »
"Corporate Hospitality"

Two sickening words in that combination.

Has to be done though.
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Offline Billy1561

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 12:29:00 pm »
Agreed that we must have corporates in numbers to compete financially whichever ground we end up in. However, and it's only my opinion this but i reckon we really do need to maximise the Kop in magnitude. It has to be the fulcrum the rest of the ground is built around. Even to the point where there could be surplus capacity enabling on the day turnstile payments for those that wish that option.
As a born and bred scouser the Kop inspires me to this day so god knows what effect it has on other teams. I believe it's absolutely paramount that we keep or improve this '12th man'.

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2010, 07:55:13 am »

Wasn't houses on the Kemlyn Road bought during an expansion? Is it possible to do a similar thing now? It should give enough space to get all the corporate stuff which brings in the money.

Also, a 56K stadium should be enough, I reckon.

EDIT: Read in a separate thread that houses along Anfield Road has been bought. Is it true?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 10:34:21 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2010, 08:51:30 am »
Think people should give up on re-developing Anfield, Its not gonna happen as much as some of us want it to, We need a new stadium with new facilities to compete with the other teams

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 08:53:29 am »

Also, a 56K stadium should be enough, I reckon.

:lmao Don't be stupid.

Offline alfonso

• Simply adores orange squash. With not one, not two either, but yea verily with three, that is correct, THREE ice cubes therein! Do not forget his straw though.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Salford - crime capital of England
« Reply #31 on: May 1, 2010, 09:47:42 am »
What are the SOS views on this?
"I know Liverpool fans care more about their club's success than the national team." Rafael Benitez

"Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second." Bob Paisley

"When zonal marking goes wrong, the system is blamed. When man-to-man marking fails, an individual is blamed and the system goes uncriticised." A LFC fan talking sense

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #32 on: May 1, 2010, 10:01:27 am »
"Corporate Hospitality"

Two sickening words in that combination.

Has to be done though.

It depends what you mean. Just because someone becomes very wealthy it doesn't mean they stop supporting Liverpool. If a millionaire wants to own a box and pay tens of thousands a season for it, isn't that better than him paying £40 and taking up a seat that could have gone to a fan with less money?

Rich men with money to spend should have facilities to suit them and allow all of the standard seats to be occupied by ordinary fans. What's wrong is the half-arsed set-up we have now where some-one gets a bit of grub and pays over the odds to sit in the Centenary stand in a normal seat.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #33 on: May 1, 2010, 10:19:05 am »
Its not just rich men but also Groups of people having a special day for something like a birthday,anniversary,corporate days out etc!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #34 on: May 1, 2010, 10:41:12 am »
Its not just rich men but also Groups of people having a special day for something like a birthday,anniversary,corporate days out etc!

Even more reason to put them in a special glass box away from the rest of the fans...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline LiamG

• Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #35 on: May 1, 2010, 11:34:50 am »
Did you see my post about the other teams with more boxes than us?!

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #36 on: May 1, 2010, 12:04:18 pm »
Walked up the street behind the Main Stand on Thursday, I counted 8 houses still occupied.

Not sure were the club stand with CPO but it could be a long battle to move those tenants on if they wanted to stay put.

Remember the 2 sisters in the Kemlyn Rd, knowing our luck they probably moved into one of these houses!
Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline Niru Red4ever

• Spoiler spoiler
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: May 2, 2010, 09:40:26 am »
Walked up the street behind the Main Stand on Thursday, I counted 8 houses still occupied.

Not sure were the club stand with CPO but it could be a long battle to move those tenants on if they wanted to stay put.

Remember the 2 sisters in the Kemlyn Rd, knowing our luck they probably moved into one of these houses!

Weren't those houses demolished during expansion of the centenary stand?

btw, read somewhere that the club has bought houses along Anfield rd.
« Last Edit: May 2, 2010, 09:42:26 am by Niru Red4ever »
Would love the 19th more and more trophies; but would love even more to see a fan owned LFC.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #38 on: May 2, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »
Weren't those houses demolished during expansion of the centenary stand?

Yeah, all the Kemlyn Rd was demolished once the 2 sisters were bought out, but I'm talking about the road directly behind the Main Stand (Lake St?)

I might have put it across wrong, but I was jokingly saying the club probably moved them into Lake St and would therefore need shifting again !

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2010, 01:51:51 pm »
Kemlyn Road doesn't actually exist anymore does it? Or its the Centenary Stand car park anyway.

Think the same would have to be done to redevelop the main stand - to make it as big and centenary. Then thats about all you could feasbly do to expand Anfield i think. Maybe something could be done to make the Anny road bigger - but it would probably mean losing the actual anfield road and building on from where all the houses used to be. Thing is, the anny road is still a fairly new building.

Leave the Kop and centenary as they are.
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here