Author Topic: Players signed by Rafael Benitez  (Read 166346 times)

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
Re: Players signed by Rafael Benitez
« Reply #480 on: November 3, 2009, 06:49:25 pm »
'A back up keeper? Kelly? El Zhar?, seriously? '

Yeah a back up keeper is important as a sub just in case your main keeper is injured or sent off during a game. Kelly would have had a better chance of being picked over Degen...who was sent off. So two out of three of the players you have listed there would have been important to our squad. The guy was merely pointing out the injuries and those players too are on the list. On a Liverpool forum we can list our injured players yano.

Anyway you have converted me... your team is better, ours is shite...I have seen the light. We piss away the millions those kind yanks have blessed us with, we have rubbish players in the likes of Gerrard, Torres, Reina, Agger etc, they wouldn't make it into any team and Rafa doesn't know jack sack him now!  :butt

Believe it or not this is our team. We know our situation with money and squad depth (to an extent). We have to read and listen to the same dribble about our club in the media, from pundits and rival fans such as youself, all loving to analyse Liverpool and point out were we're going wrong. On here we would rather discuss it amongst ourselves; on a Liverpool site, from one Liverpool fan to another and you telling us about our team, manager and spendings isn't going to make a blind bit of difference. Why don't you stick to your own team. I don't know why some people, who aren't Liverpool fans, love talking about Liverpool's problems like they all have the answers, focus on your own team!

Anyway am off to find a Hull forum to explain to their fans were they are going wrong because I have all the answers  :butt
« Last Edit: November 3, 2009, 06:52:06 pm by Il Nina »
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline Crazyhorse7778

• Legacy Fan
  • VICTORY!!!
« Reply #481 on: November 3, 2009, 06:50:39 pm »
I have no hatred for Liverpool, they're actually my 2nd fav team.

anyone know what actually happened to ribery's face?
Just a routine tackle by Skrtel

Offline ErinMc66

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #482 on: November 3, 2009, 06:50:59 pm »
You wanna know the number of times our first choice back 4 have played together this season? ONE. We've had to chop and change at the back just as much as you, we did it last year as well because of Rios numerous injuries, Evras laughable ban and our injuries at right back.
Its not just isolated to Liverpool.
Birmngham were without 5 defenders at our place on the opening day and theyve had known defensive problems at the back this year.
And regarding players who've never played now being forced to play, thats another problem, a problem I spoke about, your youth dont get a chance.
Then they're thrown in at the deep end in situations like this with no experience.

The CURRENT coinciding injuries to Torres and Gerrard is something that I can sympathise with but the rest nah. I think that's just a bit of self pity/excuses going on.

The point that you're missing is that nobody here really cares what a manc fan thinks of our discussions.  The end.  It's sad that you persist.
"I don’t think I’ll ever leave . . . though to be honest I’ve never picked up the Sunday papers and seen, ‘Jamie Carragher is wanted by X’. That’d be nice, you know, just for a little ego boost . . . could it be arranged? I see other players, ‘Real Madrid want so and so’ and you think, ‘He’s f****** crap! Him?!'”

Offline Anoynymouslad87

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #483 on: November 3, 2009, 06:55:07 pm »
See now the above poster is going about things in the wrong way.

You're making out that I've come here to tell you everything thats wrong with Pool and how great we are.
I dont need to do this, its already known ;D.

Iv not done any of the anti Liverpool cliches, I've not spoken about zonal marking, I've not spoken about squad rotation, I've not spoken about the 200+ million Rafa has spent. I've not spoken about a reliance on Gerrard and Torres.
I've not talked about how supposedly crap your squad is etc.

I've stayed clear of all of that and addressed other matters.
And there are plenty of other supporters fans who come onto our site and give their input and they're welcomed(by some).
It's not a bad thing if it's contructive.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: November 3, 2009, 07:07:12 pm »
Anoynymouslad87, we've had injuries all over the place, not just in defence. And whilst you may not have had your first choice back line unavailable, it's been a hell of a lot more settled than ours.

Anyway, even in your post about your own club, you've mentioned Evra's laughable ban. I personally don't think it was laughable but see how it is when it's your own club? I presume you know a hell of a lot more about Man Utd than Liverpool and its the same vice versa.

Anyway, it's not just injuries, it's a lot of other things too, as I've mention previously, but feel free to ignore them.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Il Nina

• Legacy Fan
  • I just can't get enough...
« Reply #485 on: November 3, 2009, 07:07:42 pm »

You may think you are being constructive, but comparing our team with yours, in a negative way, isn't going to do you any favours on here. You support our rival team, therefore everything you say is mainly going to go against what the majority of us believe on here, ergo you are wasting your time. Your team are playing soon so why don't you go some where and discuss them rather than trying to analyse our team. I understand you are not really causing trouble or anything, but we are all kind of going round in circles because nothing is agreeing.
“Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool.”

Offline maqu006

• Legacy Fan
  • RAWK's literary theorist
« Reply #486 on: November 3, 2009, 07:45:16 pm »
BBC
1939: Big game tomorrow night in Lyon. Rafa Benitez has been speaking to the press. "Are you the best man for the job?" the Liverpool boss was asked, prompting the Spaniard to remark: "When you walk through a storm, you have to hold your head up high."

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #487 on: November 3, 2009, 08:18:25 pm »
See now the above poster is going about things in the wrong way.

You're making out that I've come here to tell you everything thats wrong with Pool and how great we are.
I dont need to do this, its already known ;D.

Iv not done any of the anti Liverpool cliches, I've not spoken about zonal marking, I've not spoken about squad rotation, I've not spoken about the 200+ million Rafa has spent. I've not spoken about a reliance on Gerrard and Torres.
I've not talked about how supposedly crap your squad is etc.

I've stayed clear of all of that and addressed other matters.
And there are plenty of other supporters fans who come onto our site and give their input and they're welcomed(by some).

you young man think you are bloody clever, not hard that with your support base, :lickin :lickin

you just slip in the odd snide remark and put down and try to make out you are being friendly, to me that is worse than the in your face twat we normally get on here, at least they are doing it openly and do not try to be a pretty poor wordsmith, now run along before I start telling you how bad  i felt for you when Denis Law backheeled that ball into your net and sent you down to the then second division!

Your club is full of prawn sandwich eating plastic fans like you, they have no passion, they are mainly the imbecilic or gloryfans from Larndan or the far east! You would not be up for the fight at any time!

Your incontinent manager spits his dummy out with some beaut excuses over the years, as with we lost because we wore the wrong colour shirts at Southampton, we lost because the ref added too much or not enough time depending on his needs, we lost because all the refs and the FA hate me! Bye son nice try but no cuddly toy! :wave
« Last Edit: November 3, 2009, 08:20:54 pm by geoffstrong »
Mellowing and Retired, and stayed around long enough to watch the Tories implode

Offline mig

• Legacy Fan
  • Bringing back better days
« Reply #488 on: November 3, 2009, 08:18:49 pm »
I've only seen this now. What more can be said? Top, well thought out post.

Offline Stan.

• drinks warm piss, and come back to him when Owen actually joins utd. Until then leeeeeave Micky aloooone!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #489 on: November 3, 2009, 11:16:45 pm »
You can't argue with BHB's post - its fact - but why has everything liverpool-related become about analysing Rafa's spending? 

It doesn't matter what anyone's 'net spend' is, football is a results game, and Rafa will live or die by those results, not the seemingly never ending (and quite frankly boring) debate about how cost-effective each individual signing has been.
Someday soon everyone will know the truth.  96 never forgotten.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #490 on: November 3, 2009, 11:24:00 pm »
You can't argue with BHB's post - its fact - but why has everything liverpool-related become about analysing Rafa's spending? 

It doesn't matter what anyone's 'net spend' is, football is a results game, and Rafa will live or die by those results, not the seemingly never ending (and quite frankly boring) debate about how cost-effective each individual signing has been.

Indeed but there's no evidence bar this shit start to the season were luck and health have completely deserted us to suggest that Rafa has lost it.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: November 4, 2009, 02:39:00 am »
Jesus christ, step back from the keyboard and think a little will you.  Did i blame rafa for letting hyypia go? did i? do you want to point out or quote me of where i even suggested anything like that? no, well dont put words in my mouth. 

The point was made that the team is vastly improved from what it was when he first took over.

My point is the spine was the strongest aspect of the team he inherited and even now, 5 years on, its still the strongest aspect of his team.

Walshy gave a list of players and i drew comparison to their equivalent counterparts 5 years ago.

Carragher was our centre half 5 years ago along with hyypia.  I'd take carra and hyypia over 5 year older carra and injured agger.  But i think agger is better on the ball than either of those two but is injury prone. Is an injury prone and aging centre half an improvement?

The attempt to compare heskey with torres is ridiculous.  Owen was first choice pre rafa.  There was an over reliance on owen to score under houllier and there's an over reliance on torres now.   During the 5 years with rafa we've got through cisse, baros, mellor, morientes, crouch and bellamy. Now we have torres.   Is torres better than owen, yes i think his allround game is better.  So "torres apart" then (i think there's an echo in the room now)

Again similarly ridiculous to compare murphy and alonso.  Was spud ever our first choice centre mid? Spud played very few games as first choice centre midfield unless everyone else was injured.  He played predominately on either the left or right of midfield with gary mac, didi and steven gerrard taking centre spot.  Even if you want to pitch him in as a centre mid is he inferiour to lucas? who'd no doubt is 2nd fiddle to masc, gerrard and now aqualini as murphy was to didi, gary mac and gerrard.

Aurilio or riise.  Toss a coin.  Riise's was heavily reliant on his left peg but was fit as a fiddle, form dipped after 2005.  Aurelio is great when he's fit but he's injury prone, hence the reason insua's getting so many games. 

Our style of play has changed little in five years because the strength is still down the middle.

Maybe I've misunderstood what point you are making here.
However I'll run the risk of making further ridiculous comments.
Given that it's a thread discussing the signings Rafa has made and you don't think the squad or our style of play has improved under him, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that given your assesment of the replacements,it is anyone but Rafa's fault.

So when you list players , including Hyypia as not being  improved upon, it's fair to point out that if Rafa had his way Hyypia would still be a part of the squad, although not as first choice. Hence my comment.
I doubt if even the best of managers can reverse the ravages of time as far as his players are concerned.

Regarding ridiculous comments again.......Hyypia and Carragher wasn't our centre back pairing in 2003/04, Biscan and Hyypia were. Even Traore was played there before Carragher.
Houllier preferred Biscan and didn't rate Carragher as a centre back...he didn't trust him because he scored a couple of own goals against Man Utd.
We were battered by Arsenal 4 - 2 at Highbury and after that Carragher was moved to centre back and Henchov brought in as right back. That was in April 2004.
To say you would take Hyypia and Carragher 5 years younger is not an option is it? To ask if an injury prone player and an ageing centre back is an improvement is a ridiculous comment to make.
Was Agger injured when he was bought.....was Carra the same age as he is now when Rafa made him the player he is?

Kewell would hardly win any long term fitness awards and by your own description 'was shit' yet Riera isn't an improvement on him?
I've no idea what Garcia has to do with anything as he's well gone.Kuyt isn't an improvement on Smicer?

Regarding Heskey or Owen. I agree that Owen was our first choice but he had gone, so Rafa had no chance to use him. Again, not Rafa's fault.
It would be just as easy to use Sinama Pongolle, Mellor, Baros or Diouf by comparison.

Murphy is a central midfielder, a playmaker, irrespective of where Houllier played him. That's what he was bought as and that's where he has always played and that's where he is playing now, so the comparison isn't as ridiculous as it sounds.
I could make the same comparison between Alonso and Cheyrou or Diao if you want as they were our other midfield players at the time.
The only other comparison is the one that you have already made between Hamman and Masherano.

To say that we haven't improved because we didn't break teams down who parked the bus last season is nit picking. Our European standing and the vctories we have enjoyed would suggest otherwise. Not to mention the season by season improvement in the league. The team that finished the 03/04 season 30 points behind the winners had far more problems than this team by a country mile.
You are correct, the spine of the team Rafa inherited was strongest part of it, and still is. That doesn't mean the spine of this team isn't an even better one than the one he inherited. The spine of the team always has to be the strongest part of it. Ideally you can supplement that by having strength out wide which is being addressed this season by the introduction of Johnson. I don't see Chelsea, Arsenal or Man Utd with too much to shout about with out and out wide players.!

Finishing last season as the Leagues top scorers would also refute your argument.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 02:45:59 am by shanklyboy »
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline liverpool23

• Main Stander
  • Born in Huyton, Raised in Brisbane....... Scaussie
« Reply #492 on: November 4, 2009, 04:41:23 am »
You wanna know the number of times our first choice back 4 have played together this season? ONE. We've had to chop and change at the back just as much as you, we did it last year as well because of Rios numerous injuries, Evras laughable ban and our injuries at right back.
Its not just isolated to Liverpool.
Birmngham were without 5 defenders at our place on the opening day and theyve had known defensive problems at the back this year.
And regarding players who've never played now being forced to play, thats another problem, a problem I spoke about, your youth dont get a chance.
Then they're thrown in at the deep end in situations like this with no experience.

The CURRENT coinciding injuries to Torres and Gerrard is something that I can sympathise with but the rest nah. I think that's just a bit of self pity/excuses going on.
confused :o......very confused ??? Is this a Manc? If so whyr u here? I couldn't force myself on another teams site.Makes me feel Dirty  A bit sacreligious too, if you ask me. Noy havin a go but i am a bit perplexed. I wonder what your mates would say if they found out you were spending time on a real clubs site. ;)
'I don't have a microwave oven, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.'     Mitch Hedberg

Offline prwoolfall

• Kemlynite
  • Overseas Red
« Reply #493 on: November 4, 2009, 06:38:38 am »
Absolutely, it's pure agenda driven bullshit. Don't worry next time we put in a result against a major european giant Rafa will be god again... never have I known an opinion about someone change so drastically from game to game.

I have been reading this thread (intensely) and agree with this post especially the final sentence. It is quite unbelievable.

As aside you should read the 'Whatever happens against Lyon' thread, words fail me!
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 07:00:19 am by prwoolfall »
Never Argue With An Idiot They Will Bring You Down To Their Level and Beat You With Experience.

Offline TommySmithsLiver

• We suspect a liver transplant
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #494 on: November 4, 2009, 08:09:17 am »
This manc troll is proper annoying but so are some of the excuses that we are trotting out.  23 years of squad building? Boo Hoo the mancs have had more money than us?
Stut up and grow a pair, you don't have to justify yourself to some glory seeker and by trotting out those feeble excuses you damn your own club by the insinuation that they are a better team.  STOP IT WITH THE SECOND BEST MENTALITY!!!

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #495 on: November 4, 2009, 08:15:45 am »
You've got the thumbs up from Tommy Smith. Good work fella.

Tommy Smith: Myth over Rafa Benitez spending is rightly torn down

Nov 4 2009 Liverpool Echo

MANY a pundit has lambasted Rafa Benitez for the ‘massive amounts’ of money he’s spent over the last few years building a squad which isn’t delivering.

So well done to the supporter who this week examined the facts, to coin a certain phrase, showing just how much Benitez has won and lost in the transfer merry go round since his arrival.

It makes fascinating reading and concludes that the Reds boss has, in net terms, spent an average of just £16m per season.

There is one other inevitable conclusion. And it’s this.

Whether you’re a fan or not of the Reds manager, he is not the wild and bungling spendthrift that some poorly informed pundits would have us believe. In fact, the opposite is true.

No one wanted Xabi Alonso to leave – but when he chose to go after five seasons Liverpool made a £20m profit on him.

Peter Crouch was sold for more than he was bought, while Rafa also made a profit on players like Momo Sissoko, Antonio Nunez, and Alvaro Arbeloa. He even got most of the money back for Robbie Keane.

Perish the thought, but if Liverpool ever decided to cash in on Fernando Torres – it won’t happen of course as the Anfield MD Christian Purslow made clear – then Rafa’s net spend over six seasons now would be virtually zero.

Of course he’s entitled to be criticised for some of his decisions and no one is happy right now. But the club and the fans are dead right to stick by the manager.

His critics are entitled to their opinion. But they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with perpetuating myths about how much he has blown.

Thank heavens someone has nailed it.

Offline philyburkhill

• Kopite
« Reply #496 on: November 4, 2009, 08:25:27 am »
He has undeniably spent a lot of money, and who gives a shit if he made a profit when the players he is bringing in our weaker? I'd rather have kept Bellamy than sign Babel, Keane, Voronin or the other turd he has brought in. The point about Torres is complete garbage as well, Man Utd probably have a plus net spend after CRonaldo but they'll still comfortably finish above us and have at least qualified in the CL cause Ferugson is a world class manager.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 08:26:59 am by philyburkhill »
Viva La Rafalution!

Offline robbohuyton

• Main Stander
  • Any spares lad?
« Reply #497 on: November 4, 2009, 08:34:27 am »
Why is the point about Torres 'complete garbage'? Any reason like? Bellamy - who didn't score enough goals - was sold for a profit (which then obviously means he has more money to spend - that's the point) and that money was put towards buying Torres.

And yeah, Fergie also regularly buys £30m players and pays significantly higher wages than LFC.

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #498 on: November 4, 2009, 08:38:06 am »
He has undeniably spent a lot of money, and who gives a shit if he made a profit when the players he is bringing in our weaker? I'd rather have kept Bellamy than sign Babel, Keane, Voronin or the other turd he has brought in. The point about Torres is complete garbage as well, Man Utd probably have a plus net spend after CRonaldo but they'll still comfortably finish above us and have at least qualified in the CL cause Ferugson is a world class manager.

We keep Bellamy, we don't get Torres. A bit like you, it's that fucking simple :D Do you not get that the man has had to sell to buy! I agree with you that it would have been nice to have kept Bellamy, loved his attitude even if he didn't know how to exploit the offside rule but I would much rather have Fernando Torres.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #499 on: November 4, 2009, 09:49:21 am »
How is it that the original article - and the excellent input by Tommy Smith (what a welcome change of tune from him) isn't getting through to you?

How could we have kept Bellamy when we needed the proceeds of his sale to upgrade to Torres?

And who told you Ferguson is a world class manager? A great motivator yes, and a world class bully. His tactical nous is limited to 'Right, 4-4-2, shuffle the pack every now and then, and if I'm in trouble I'll just bring £50m of players off the bench. Now where's that hipflask'.

Very strange post.

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: November 4, 2009, 09:58:27 am »
How is it that the original article - and the excellent input by Tommy Smith (what a welcome change of tune from him) isn't getting through to you?

How could we have kept Bellamy when we needed the proceeds of his sale to upgrade to Torres?

And who told you Ferguson is a world class manager? A great motivator yes, and a world class bully. His tactical nous is limited to 'Right, 4-4-2, shuffle the pack every now and then, and if I'm in trouble I'll just bring £50m of players off the bench. Now where's that hipflask'.

Very strange post.

He bought Crouch and Bellamy to replace Morientes and Baros

He sold Bellamy to fund Torres.

He sold Crouch to buy Keane

He sold Keane

Whichever you way you look at it he inherited 3 or 4 half decent strikers, bought a few more and still has only one real option 5 years down the line, as fucking FANTASTIC as Nando is he can't do the job of two or three players.
Insight, Perspective, Objectivity.

No Delusions Here.

Offline TommySmithsLiver

• Anny Roader
« Reply #501 on: November 4, 2009, 10:02:05 am »

He sold Keane

Whichever you way you look at it he inherited 3 or 4 half decent strikers, bought a few more and still has only one real option 5 years down the line, as fucking FANTASTIC as Nando is he can't do the job of two or three players.

the bloke named after an early 90s vibrator has a point

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #502 on: November 4, 2009, 10:06:47 am »
He sold Keane
Seriously, you seem like an intelligent bloke, so I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you can't grasp something very simple. Keane didn't fit in, wouldn't fit in, and therefore was sold as quickly as possible so we didn't lose out too much. Rafa was not given the proceeds of the sale to spend on a replacement.
Is that really so complicated?

Anyway he didn't sell Crouch to buy Keane, he wanted to keep Crouch.

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: November 4, 2009, 10:09:14 am »
Seriously, you seem like an intelligent bloke, so I'm genuinely struggling to understand why you can't grasp something very simple. Keane didn't fit in, wouldn't fit in, and therefore was sold as quickly as possible so we didn't lose out too much. Rafa was not given the proceeds of the sale to spend on a replacement.
Is that really so complicated?

No you're right, Keane didn't and wouldn't fit in, makes you wonder why Rafa Parry bought him.

No Delusions Here.

Offline brunny

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: November 4, 2009, 10:20:31 am »

He sold Keane

To be fair he has also developed Gerrard into a pretty good support striker.

This is where I feel having quality backup on the bench might be a problem. Who would like to play second fiddle to probably the best attacking partnership in the prem? Almost no chance of getting into the team. Perhaps if it was a big signing (which we can't afford).
http://game2.mafiadeath.com/r/35526.php
MafiaDeath Username: gabrown

Offline opsteo

• Kopite
« Reply #505 on: November 4, 2009, 10:28:01 am »

Very strange post.

Great work pointing out the facts..there are always revisionists, who wants to change history to fit their hypothesis otherwise they would have no basis to hold on to their heartfelt believes (even if they are wrong).  The problem is the media/commentators will rattle similar views and many thought that these views are well-researched.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: November 4, 2009, 10:45:58 am »
the bloke named after an early 90s vibrator has a point

Everybody has a point......it doesn't mean it isn't a pile of shite!

Unlike his name though......you can't turn it off when your sick of it.
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: November 4, 2009, 11:14:54 am »
This manc troll is proper annoying but so are some of the excuses that we are trotting out.  23 years of squad building? Boo Hoo the mancs have had more money than us?
Stut up and grow a pair, you don't have to justify yourself to some glory seeker and by trotting out those feeble excuses you damn your own club by the insinuation that they are a better team.  STOP IT WITH THE SECOND BEST MENTALITY!!!

It seems we have to justify it to a red like you though. Which is far more worrying!

You don't think when making a comparison between Ferguson's squad and Benitez's, that the 23 years Ferguson has been at Man Utd should be a factor? Or the amount of money he has had at his disposal?

I'll grow a pair if you get a bit of common sense.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

Offline TommySmithsLiver

• Anny Roader
« Reply #508 on: November 4, 2009, 11:27:46 am »
It seems we have to justify it to a red like you though. Which is far more worrying!

You don't think when making a comparison between Ferguson's squad and Benitez's, that the 23 years Ferguson has been at Man Utd should be a factor? Or the amount of money he has had at his disposal?

I'll grow a pair if you get a bit of common sense.

If you want to be a football fan that scratches around for consolations be my guest but beating a team that I hate twice when they won the league isn't really enough for me.  Rafa could be here as long as Mr Ferguson stays there and he could put together a dynasty but as a club but we have been able to spend on a par with the mancs since the Premier League started and they are up to 18 now and I for one am not going to allow excuses get in the way of the fact that the team should be doing better than it is.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 11:30:10 am by TommySmithsLiver »

Offline Johnnyboy1973

• ★★★ Never, ever, bloody anything ever! ★★★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Up the piss boiling, asthmatic Reds!!!
« Reply #509 on: November 4, 2009, 11:29:23 am »
If you want to be a football fan that scratches around for consolations be my guest but beating a team that I hate twice when they won the league is really enough for me.  Rafa could be here as long as Mr Ferguson stays there and he could put together a dynasty but as a club but we have been able to spend on a par with the mancs since the Premier League started and they are up to 18 now and I for one am not going to allow excuses get in the way of the fact that the team should be doing better than it is.

Is that you in your photo?
Where's this Yakimoto fella?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
« Reply #510 on: November 4, 2009, 11:32:26 am »
Rafa could be here as long as Mr Ferguson stays there and he could put together a dynasty but as a club but we have been able to spend on a par with the mancs since the Premier League started and they are up to 18 now and I for one am not going to allow excuses get in the way of the fact that the team should be doing better than it is.

Are you fucking serious? you're arguing that Rafa has to take the brunt of Souness, Evans and Houlliers failures now as well?

Offline RyanBabelsFish

• used2bee1101
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: November 4, 2009, 11:37:52 am »

He sold Keane

Well Babel arrived in the same summer as Torres, so how was Bellamy sold to fund Torres? Didn't he just as easily fund Babel?

My Tips @ www.inside-bet.com

RH: "You're under pressure as manager of Liverpool if you lose two games at any point in the season and we've already lost, five I think, out of eight, or is it four?"

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: November 4, 2009, 11:40:57 am »
Well Babel arrived in the same summer as Torres, so how was Bellamy sold to fund Torres? Didn't he just as easily fund Babel?

I was replying to the bloke who said that was the case. My personal opinion is that it's far more complicated than that. I made the original (and broader point) that he had inherited 3/4 half decent strikers and ended up with one (admittedly brilliant, edit), however you permutate the comings and going that's how it pans out in my opinion.

It also beggars belief that Rafa really wanted and tried to keep Crouch as was claimed and yet he left for PORTSMOUTH. I realise players want to start more games but I draw the line at our players wanting to leave for Portsmouth.

No Delusions Here.

Offline Gweggs

• Main Stander
« Reply #513 on: November 4, 2009, 11:43:36 am »
Genuinely can't believe people still aren't fucking grasping the 'buy to sell' and 'incremental improvement' constraints Benitez is working under. Shocking stuff. He did not buy fucking rubbish like Voronin et al as replacements for players like Bellamy. He bought them as extra squad players, of an acknowledgedly poor quality, to complement the few big name signings (who the funds from Bellamy and co were used to procure) he was allowed by either those loathsome yanks or the even more disgusting Parry and Moores. HE SIMPLY COULD NOT AFFORD TO KEEP BELLAMY AS WELL AS TORRES, OTHERWISE THERE WOULD BE NO NEED FOR EXECRABLE PLAYERS LIKE VORONING. COMPRENDEIS?! The way people fucking misrepresent Rafa's operations and what he has actually been allowed to do is just mind-boggling. It seems fairly clear to me that we would not, additionally, be fielding the likes of decent-ish journeymen like Kuyt or past it defenders like Carragher if finance wasn't such an all-consuming imperative for the man.  You do know what economics means, in the roughest sense, yes?

Did any of you ever take a step back and consider what it actually represented for a perennially besieged manager with about 15-20m to spend each year, to field a team containing the likes of Lucas, Dirk Kuyt, Jamie Carragher, Albert Riera, Ryan Babel, etc etc, and very convincingly beat Inter Milan (twicw), United 4-1 at the Toilet and 2-1 at home, then 2-0 with an even more drivelling starting XI, Chelsea twice in one season plus over several cup ties, Real Madrid 5-0 on aggregate, Barcelona at the Nou Camp (and I could go on ad fucking infinitum)?

If this doesn't demonstrate football management genius against dire odds, then I genuinely don't know what does.
« Last Edit: November 4, 2009, 11:51:32 am by Gweggs »

Offline the_prodigal_s0n

• Whats occurrin
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: November 4, 2009, 11:50:23 am »
I was replying to the bloke who said that was the case. My personal opinion is that it's far more complicated than that. I made the original (and broader point) that he had inherited 3/4 half decent strikers and ended up with one (admittedly brilliant, edit), however you permutate the comings and going that's how it pans out in my opinion.

It also beggars belief that Rafa really wanted and tried to keep Crouch as was claimed and yet he left for PORTSMOUTH. I realise players want to start more games but I draw the line at our players wanting to leave for Portsmouth.
Portsmouth had just won the FA Cup. All seemed well there, and he was going to a manager who he had worked with before. He was going there to get regular games and to enhance his chances with England. In a sense, it's perfectly understandable that he left for Portsmouth.

Plenty of players have left big clubs to get games at weaker teams. Johnson also left Chelsea to further his career at Portsmouth. Does that mean Mourinho should be lambasted for the decision? Of course not. Not every player at a big club is going to be content with picking splinters out of their arse most of the time.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #515 on: November 4, 2009, 11:54:46 am »

Kuyt and Babel are £10M strikers. Voronin is part of the Ukraine forward line that took them to 11th in the FIFA world rankings. They measure up on your half decent yardstick. Ngog is then the prospect to bring on.

Offline DuncMcD

• Main Stander
« Reply #516 on: November 4, 2009, 11:55:45 am »

How does it beggar belief? Rafa stated that there was a new contract offered to Crouch - are you saying that he was lying about this?  ???

And Portsmouth at the time were a far better proposition than they are now - they had just won the FA Cup and I'm sure the fact that Crouch would be playing regularly alongside Defoe had a bearing on his decision. As did playing for Harry Redknapp - a manager who I personally have no time for, but Crouch obviously enjoys playing for following previous spells at Portsmouth and Southampton (and subsequently followed to Spurs).

Offline Trousers

• All Mouth And...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: November 4, 2009, 11:56:16 am »
So Bellamy is a stick used to beat the manager now, because he's made a good start to this season.
Prior to this seasom no fucker has regretted selling him.
The manager can never fucking win with hypocritical, hindsight induced logic on display by a few posters here.
Militant Internet Terrorist.

Offline TommySmithsLiver

• Anny Roader
« Reply #518 on: November 4, 2009, 11:57:32 am »
Are you fucking serious? you're arguing that Rafa has to take the brunt of Souness, Evans and Houlliers failures now as well?
Why am I suddenly the case for the prosecution against Rafa?  All I am saying is the team is not performing as well as it should.  We seem to be happy to pull out this stat that Mr Ferg has had untold millions to spend but we have spent just as much along the way and so I reject the excuse of money.  My Ferg had a lean patch when he joined at OT but they stuck by him just as I think we should stick by Rafa but they sure as hell let him know when they were unhappy with him!  Cheering the team no matter what leads to complacency amongst the players and the management as at the end of the day our tickets pay all of their wages.  My point is support the team by all means but FFS let them know when they are not pulling their weight.

Offline SquirmyRooter

• RoomySquirter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: November 4, 2009, 11:59:26 am »
Kuyt and Babel are £10M strikers. Voronin is part of the Ukraine forward line that took them to 11th in the FIFA world rankings. They measure up on your half decent yardstick. Ngog is then the prospect to bring on.

I considered Kuyt and Babel but dismissed the notion as Rafa seems to use them as primarily wingers, Voronin? He was free and that's all he's worth.

Are you people telling me that of the 3 strikers he inherited and the half dozen or so he's bought and let go that at least ONE of them couldn't have been kept and have come in useful rather than having to persist with a patently struggling nando?

Are you honestly saying they all either were so desperate to leave or we were so desperate for the money we had to sell them?

All of them?

No Delusions Here.