Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 266165 times)

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #640 on: June 5, 2011, 10:04:07 am »
Quick question. I have a rooted Desire, and I am currently running the MIUI ROM which I really like. I have a nandroid backup of my previous ROM. If I run a backup of my current MIUI ROM, will it overwrite the previous backup or does it created a separate backup allowing me to recover from a variety of backed up ROMs. Thanks.

Each backup is saved independently. You can go back to whatever backup you want at a latter date.

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #641 on: June 5, 2011, 09:26:59 pm »
What phone would you Android experts suggest for someone looking around now?  I have an iPad and iPod but want to see if there is anything out there that seriously competes with the iPhone.  I don't want to become an Apple junkie just because it would be easy to do so.

Obviously it needs to be a decent phone but I would mostly use it for apps and Internet browsing.  I am no technophobe but how easy is it to downloads apps etc on Android and do you need a laptop to load the updates (like you do with iTunes and Apple products)?

Should I be looking at a HTC?

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #642 on: June 5, 2011, 10:52:19 pm »
What phone would you Android experts suggest for someone looking around now?  I have an iPad and iPod but want to see if there is anything out there that seriously competes with the iPhone.  I don't want to become an Apple junkie just because it would be easy to do so.

Obviously it needs to be a decent phone but I would mostly use it for apps and Internet browsing.  I am no technophobe but how easy is it to downloads apps etc on Android and do you need a laptop to load the updates (like you do with iTunes and Apple products)?

Should I be looking at a HTC?
Yes go for a HTC, you won't go wrong. Get the top spec phones and you will love it. Connect it to your home WiFi and you download apps from the market place as easy as I am typing this out... Top phones...
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #643 on: June 5, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »
Depends how much you want to spend. The top two phones at the moment are the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the HTC Sensation. If I was getting a new one now, it would be the Samsung.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #644 on: June 6, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »
As an owner of the Samsung mentioned by Paul, I can confirm that it is a beast of a phone. Nothing on the market can touch it.

And to DK, installing apps is done in the exact same way as on your iPhone - via the Android Market. As an added bonus, you can sign in to the Android Market on your computer, browse apps, hit 'Install' and your phone will automatically install the app.

Updates to the OS are usually done OTA (over-the-air). It's a simple "Click yes to update" job.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #645 on: June 6, 2011, 03:48:43 pm »
I can confirm that it is a beast of a phone. Nothing on the market can touch it.

Many review sites give the Sensation the edge due to better resolution screen, better camera, HTC Sense 3.0 and the aluminium back as opposed to the plasticky feel of the Samsung.

Both very good phones in their own right but I have the HTC Sensation and would not swap it for the Galaxy having played with both.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #646 on: June 6, 2011, 04:10:35 pm »
Many review sites give the Sensation the edge due to better resolution screen, better camera, HTC Sense 3.0 and the aluminium back as opposed to the plasticky feel of the Samsung.

Both very good phones in their own right but I have the HTC Sensation and would not swap it for the Galaxy having played with both.

Haha, thought I might find a Sensation owner after I clicked post. Most sites I've read slightly preferred the Samsung.

Whilst the HTC has a higher resolution, the consensus seems to be that the Samsung S-AMOLED+ has something going for it with darker blacks and better viewing angles.

The weight issue was a key thing for me and the Samsung is just so light, quite a bit lighter than the HTC. The cameras seem to be pretty equally matched but most sites praise the shutter speed of the Samsung in comparison to the HTC.

HTC Sense is far more attractive than TouchWiz but for me, as an avid LauncherPro user, the skin on top of Android was almost irrelevant.

The build quality of the Samsung, whilst being plastic, is superb and there's not a hint of 'creaking' that some plastic devices seem to suffer with. I'd highly recommend it.

It's a case of each to his own and coming from a Desire previously, I decided on a change and went for the Samsung. I've not regretted it.

For a good review, check out TechRadar:

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/htc-sensation-vs-samsung-galaxy-s2-961874?artc_pg=1

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #647 on: June 6, 2011, 04:10:43 pm »
Thanks for the advice guys,  I checked out the Sensation and Galaxy S2 today and it's going to tough to split the two.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #648 on: June 6, 2011, 04:15:01 pm »
Forgot to mention KiesAir - file transfer via your web-browser (so long as your phone and computer arre on the same network). Fantastic bit of software.

Offline CarraAgger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #649 on: June 7, 2011, 10:26:24 am »
Forgot to mention KiesAir - file transfer via your web-browser (so long as your phone and computer arre on the same network). Fantastic bit of software.

Seconded!  Bit slow though mine especially when downloading 1080p videos from the galaxy s2!  But that's obvious!
Super Sexy Football

Offline CarraAgger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #650 on: June 7, 2011, 10:27:08 am »
Thanks for the advice guys,  I checked out the Sensation and Galaxy S2 today and it's going to tough to split the two.

I've just got the S2 with Voda mate.  It's astonishing!  Read the views on the web.  I think it pips just about everything
Super Sexy Football

Offline filthy1980

• tax dodger
  • Kopite
  • conspiracy shite
« Reply #651 on: June 13, 2011, 10:20:35 pm »
Anyone else's poweramp (apk version) stopped working

mines saying license not valid

Offline redy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #652 on: June 14, 2011, 04:38:43 am »
I think the Evo 3d is another phone to add consider.

Evo 3D vs Samsung galaxy S2 vs HTC sensation.

Although there isn't that much difference between the evo 3d and sensation, one possible difference is evo 3d being faster than sensation. The 3d thing is likely a gimmick although will have to wait and see.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #653 on: June 14, 2011, 08:39:21 am »
swype 3.0  beta just came out, downloading it now

[edit] its much better
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 08:53:13 am by LOKKO »

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #654 on: June 14, 2011, 09:00:28 am »
I've just got the S2 with Voda mate.  It's astonishing!  Read the views on the web.  I think it pips just about everything

Thanks mate, it does look impressive.

Thing is, I have an iPad, Xbox etc etc so I am not particularly bothered about movies and games on my phone as I have other devices for that.  Therefore, to me, the S2 just looks huge (and the Sensation too to a certain extent) if you are not using the screen for those kind of things.

The biggest thing I get out of smartphones are the apps (sports, news, maps, shares etc) so it doesn't need to have a huge screen, just to look good and have a fast processor as I would use it to check something quickly and then put it down again.  I probably need to keep looking :)

Offline darubio

• Main Stander
« Reply #655 on: June 14, 2011, 06:33:26 pm »
The apps I used a lot are

Evernote - Such a great app and its free on the android. You can take text,pic, and video notes and sync it autmatically to your computer.

WhatsAPP - Again its free on the android, really cool app if you want to have a text convo with a group of your friends on androids and other devices like Blackberry & iPhones. I use this mainly to chat at the same time to my friends.

And other apps I use..mainly cos I read a lot of stuff online.

I have Mashable, Entrepreneur, StumbleUpon, TweetDeck, Soccer Live Scores, Dropbox, Greader, Liverpool RSS, Skype, JustPictures, HD Wallpapers, Job Search,  and a few others lol

Thats pretty much it. :) I have HTC Hero!

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #656 on: June 14, 2011, 07:25:13 pm »
What is this Liverpool RSS of which you speak?

Offline Naughtykid

• Ignore everyone else, listen to me. I SAID LISTEN TO ME!!! Oi! Where are you all going?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #657 on: June 15, 2011, 03:19:51 pm »
How good is the HTC Desire?

Can't decide between that and the I Phone. It'd be a no brainer for me if my current phone, HTC Hero, wasn't a complete pile of shit.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #658 on: June 15, 2011, 03:58:27 pm »
How good is the HTC Desire?

Can't decide between that and the I Phone. It'd be a no brainer for me if my current phone, HTC Hero, wasn't a complete pile of shit.

desire is very good, the first one does have a shit battery though, but i manage ok.

In other news, Texty is just brilliant

Offline Naughtykid

• Ignore everyone else, listen to me. I SAID LISTEN TO ME!!! Oi! Where are you all going?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #659 on: June 15, 2011, 06:24:23 pm »
desire is very good, the first one does have a shit battery though, but i manage ok.

In other news, Texty is just brilliant
By the second one, do you mean the HD version?

Offline callanlfc5times

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #660 on: June 15, 2011, 06:50:01 pm »
I have only just discovered go launcher and I'm loving how customisable it is, but I'm looking for a few tips on how to get the best out of it? For example I cant seem to use sense widgets on it for news, friend stream, weather, clock, favourites is it possible to get replacement widgets for these with go launcher? Also does anyone have some really cool themes/layouts they can suggest?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE FOR THE 96
JUSTICE
FOR THE 96
JUSTICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Shevchunko

• Main Stander
  • Hating both those teams in Blue since 1992
« Reply #661 on: June 15, 2011, 07:21:05 pm »

Agree with this 100%
I have the Desire but went with my friend to advise him on a phone to get and played with both of these. Both great phones but you really cant beat the build quality of a HTC, plus if you dont want to mess on with the phone installing custom roms and running the risk of bricking it the HTC Sense 3 is fantastic.

Got it running on my Desire with no hiccups, great UI.

In my personal opinion, get a HTC, regardless of model you really can't go wrong. I sadly am a Apple fanatic so I'll more than likely upgrade to one when I can even though it isnt neccesarily better than the models HTC have out. Unless I can control my urges, then it's HTC.
Kayal! Kayal!
Kayal! Kayal!
Born is the king of Israel!

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #662 on: June 15, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »
By the second one, do you mean the HD version?

by first one I have the normal desire. Had an iPhone 4 before it. Desire beats it hands down,just battery not great. No idea if hd is better, heard some say its worse.

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #663 on: June 16, 2011, 12:06:51 am »
I have only just discovered go launcher and I'm loving how customisable it is, but I'm looking for a few tips on how to get the best out of it? For example I cant seem to use sense widgets on it for news, friend stream, weather, clock, favourites is it possible to get replacement widgets for these with go launcher? Also does anyone have some really cool themes/layouts they can suggest?
With Go Launcher, I have used the Go Contacts widget, Beautiful Widgets (£) for the clock/weather (although you may prefer Go Weather or Fancy Widget). I am currently trying Digital Click Widget for a simple clock, with a separate weather widget (Aix Weather or  Snowstorm weather)

I don't use Friendstream, but Twicca is my favorite twitter client, and I use News Republic sometimes.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline choi

• of sex.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Toto
« Reply #664 on: June 17, 2011, 12:41:13 am »
is applanet working for anyone?

Offline Gigantic Lamb

• Seeks huge jar of mint sauce for quiet nights in. I need to think of a really really long Custom title. As long as possible... Any ideas PM me....I dont even like mint sauce....Whats your sauce? I am Saucy ........are you?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #665 on: June 17, 2011, 01:51:12 am »
No mines not working the past few weeks pal..
European Cups are like houses - Ultimately it's better to own than to rent.

http://twitter.com/giganticlamb

☆☆☆☆☆

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #666 on: June 17, 2011, 03:00:25 am »
has anyone had a go of the motorola xoom?
PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline Paul-LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #667 on: June 17, 2011, 04:37:51 am »
Running stock SGS2 with TouchWiz at the moment. If I install one of these custom launchers and I don't like it, can it be easily uninstalled/disabled and reverted back to how it is at the moment with the stock launcher?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #668 on: June 17, 2011, 07:09:07 am »
Running stock SGS2 with TouchWiz at the moment. If I install one of these custom launchers and I don't like it, can it be easily uninstalled/disabled and reverted back to how it is at the moment with the stock launcher?

Yep. Just uninstall and your Launcher will reverto to stock.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #669 on: June 17, 2011, 02:54:25 pm »
My desire hd is going dog slow on web page loading. Nothing obviously been changed. Any (sensible) suggestions how to rectify ta?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #670 on: June 17, 2011, 02:58:55 pm »
Do the apps covered in here work for I-Phones as well?

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #671 on: June 17, 2011, 06:30:05 pm »
My desire hd is going dog slow on web page loading. Nothing obviously been changed. Any (sensible) suggestions how to rectify ta?

try a different browser?

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #672 on: June 17, 2011, 07:36:35 pm »
Do the apps covered in here work for I-Phones as well?

An Android app needs to be developed independently from an iPhone app. Sadly, devs tend to focus their attention more on the iOS development side of things rather than Android at the moment but this is starting to change. MOs tof the time you can get an Android app that'll do the same job as an iOS one.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #673 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:49 pm »

Clear your browser cache and history. If this doesn't fix it, give Dolphin HD a whirl. If you're still experiencing slow speeds, it's likely that your connection is either bad or your data speed it being throttled. Give your mobile provider a call to check.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #674 on: June 17, 2011, 07:37:58 pm »
An Android app needs to be developed independently from an iPhone app. Sadly, devs tend to focus their attention more on the iOS development side of things rather than Android at the moment but this is starting to change. MOs tof the time you can get an Android app that'll do the same job as an iOS one.

Ah ok thanks for that. My first i-phone arrives this weekend.
Will have a look around and see if there is an i-phone app thread.
Ta.

Edit: found one.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #675 on: June 17, 2011, 07:39:06 pm »
You won't struggle for iOS apps. There are literally hundreds of thousands of them. It's us poor Android users who have to search for alternatives ;)

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #676 on: June 17, 2011, 11:20:42 pm »
Clear your browser cache and history. If this doesn't fix it, give Dolphin HD a whirl. If you're still experiencing slow speeds, it's likely that your connection is either bad or your data speed it being throttled. Give your mobile provider a call to check.
Great, thanks all seems ok now.

Offline Something Else

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
« Reply #677 on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:58 am »
Right. I'm on the HTC desire and want an idiots guide to rooting and the benefits. Anyone want to link me up or explain?  Thank you.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #678 on: June 18, 2011, 02:36:48 am »
I have gone from an iPhone to android and I have not had one app that I was used to using which I can't get on android. In fact I think it's the opposite. I have found some recent appsmthat you can MOT get for iOS.

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #679 on: June 18, 2011, 07:13:38 pm »
Anyone know what the HTC Wildfire S is like? Looking on getting that soon.