Author Topic: Android Phones - Apps and stuff  (Read 265652 times)

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Android Phones - Apps and stuff
« Reply #2160 on: November 7, 2014, 11:02:37 pm »
help!

I have a samsung s4, and it has 1 major problem at the minute is that it keeps turning itself off when it has 68% battery and wont turn on again till i've put it on charge!

I took it in ages ago to be fixed, but it got refused at it had a smashed screen, and so i just bought a replacement battery but it's started up playing up again.
« Last Edit: November 7, 2014, 11:04:23 pm by lauz »

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #2161 on: November 9, 2014, 08:01:31 pm »
I'm working on getting the lfchistory app onto the amazon store at the moment.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2162 on: November 12, 2014, 01:22:25 pm »
Anyone using Android 5 ?  Just installed a leaked factory image on my first gen Nexus 7 and its like a new tablet, both aesthetically and performance wise.  Nearly every aspect has changed, obviously there has been a deluge of g-app updates lately, but it goes beyond that.  Google Now looks different, the app drawer is different and the notifications are different.  The runtime of the Nexus 7 has also changed from Davlik to ART.

Quite impressed, but it'll take some getting used to.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #2163 on: November 12, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »
Anyone using Android 5 ?  Just installed a leaked factory image on my first gen Nexus 7 and its like a new tablet, both aesthetically and performance wise.  Nearly every aspect has changed, obviously there has been a deluge of g-app updates lately, but it goes beyond that.  Google Now looks different, the app drawer is different and the notifications are different.  The runtime of the Nexus 7 has also changed from Davlik to ART.

I'm still waiting for the OTA updates for my Nexus 5 and 7. It looks really good though
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #2164 on: November 13, 2014, 08:26:13 pm »

I'm looking forward to the update on my Nexus 4. There looks to be a few nice updates including the improved notifications.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #2165 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:10 pm »
Can anybody recommend an app that will allow me to use a code / pattern for security when I'm away from home, but automatically use my location to switch off security when at home? Thank you.

Offline Pheeny

• Captain Pheeny of Maastricht
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Go and wake your kids up!"
  • Super Title: The King of Belgium
« Reply #2166 on: November 15, 2014, 04:30:39 pm »
What music player do people use? (One that plays FLAC)

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #2167 on: November 16, 2014, 10:43:43 am »
I'm using it on my nexus 5 and its great.

Offline Liamski-la

• Beehive Hairdo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverbird upon my chest
« Reply #2168 on: November 16, 2014, 11:50:08 am »
Guys, I'm thinking about swapping from iOS to Android. Which phone - in your real life experience - has the best battery life? It is by far my biggest consideration.

What kind of duration are you getting out of a full charge? For example, I went shopping yesterday; I listened to an hour's Spotify, did about an hour's browsing and probably 20 minutes use of maps and it drained my battery completely. What would you expect the drain on your phone to be with that use?

Cheers - Dan

Ive recently gone from an Iphone 5 to a htc one M8 and the htc pisses all over the iphone. I'm a heavy user and I'm also using the htc as a wifi hotspot for my ipad and I could easily get well into a second day on one charge.

Just normal use, music, bit of internet and it etc barely seems to drain it.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but sometimes I abuse the privilege

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #2169 on: November 16, 2014, 11:56:43 am »
Guys, I'm thinking about swapping from iOS to Android. Which phone - in your real life experience - has the best battery life? It is by far my biggest consideration.

What kind of duration are you getting out of a full charge? For example, I went shopping yesterday; I listened to an hour's Spotify, did about an hour's browsing and probably 20 minutes use of maps and it drained my battery completely. What would you expect the drain on your phone to be with that use?

Cheers - Dan

That is par for the course with all smartphones nowadays. If you are using data, Bluetooth or the screen then you'll be draining the battery pretty quick.

The advantage with using android over Apple is that you have bigger scope to control the memory management and background apps.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
    • Last FM
« Reply #2170 on: November 16, 2014, 12:25:40 pm »
Nexus 5 on lollipop is working really well.

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2171 on: November 16, 2014, 12:37:40 pm »
Nexus 5 on lollipop is working really well.
My Nexus 9 came with Android 5, but I had to sideload it on my Nexus 5, Androids roll out system isn't the greatest. I also installed it on an old Nexus 7 we had lying around and its breathed new life into it.  The white takes some getting used to mind.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2172 on: November 16, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »
Thing is though Gaz, the rate at which it chows the battery is unacceptable in my opinion; especially having already had a battery replacement less than a year ago.

I always have the screen on the lowest brightness, turn off location services when I'm not using them, no wifi or bluetooth when I'm out and I've even turned off 4G and it's still shite.

Having read reviews of the top end Android phones, they seem to offer a good 30% more battery life than the comparable Apple devices. The Xperia Z3 looks like it would be double the battery life of mine and the power saving mode that some of these devices have also looks like a good feature.

4G is always a battery drainer. Not because its faster or any different to 3g. But 4G doesn't get the coverage in the UK so phones are always forced to scan betwen the 4G,3G and even the 2G bands constantly for the best signal strength.

Thats the reason why I wouldn't read too much into reviews on battery life. Signal coverage and the way the reviewer uses the phone is always different.

At least with Android you always have the choice of carrying a spare battery with you :P

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2173 on: November 16, 2014, 01:13:36 pm »
I have the Oppo find 7. Its a great phone. But the 2K screen, 4G and Samsung S5 specs does drain the battery pretty quick (been using my phone for 2 hours and only have 40% left). But it comes with a 4amp charger so charges the phone from 0-100% in 40 mins.

If I know I'm going to be away from a charge point for anywhere over 3-4 hours I carry my spare battery and emergency battery pack with me. 

Offline potatomato33

• Combat Carl
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2174 on: November 16, 2014, 06:22:47 pm »
Just got my Sony Z3 Compact last week and I'm loving it! The speakers are amazing, as is the battery life! Water and dust resistant helps when I'm out in the field as well

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2175 on: November 16, 2014, 07:50:37 pm »
Have just bought at a hudl2. At its ridiculous price im liking it more than more than our iPad air .
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #2176 on: November 16, 2014, 08:13:27 pm »
Have just bought at a hudl2. At its ridiculous price im liking it more than more than our iPad air .

Got mine yesterday. It is fantastic.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2177 on: November 17, 2014, 06:35:55 am »
Thing is though Gaz, the rate at which it chows the battery is unacceptable in my opinion; especially having already had a battery replacement less than a year ago.

I always have the screen on the lowest brightness, turn off location services when I'm not using them, no wifi or bluetooth when I'm out and I've even turned off 4G and it's still shite.

Having read reviews of the top end Android phones, they seem to offer a good 30% more battery life than the comparable Apple devices. The Xperia Z3 looks like it would be double the battery life of mine and the power saving mode that some of these devices have also looks like a good feature.

If super high level processing and graphics performance is not a priority for you, I'd reccommend the Huawei Ascend Mate2 4G. It has a mammoth 4000 plus battery and a lovely screen. Solid and stable performer.

Will give you 2 days EASILY with normal usage (some browsing, gaming and music/videos).

If the OS is not a problem, I'd also reccomend the Lumia 1520 Phablet. It gives you 2 days of backup and a lovely 6 inch full hd screen. One of the best smartphones around in terms of build quality, screen, camera and general user friendliness.

And the 'app gapp' is overrated, you'll find most apps on Windows store.
Phuk yoo

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #2178 on: November 17, 2014, 10:14:14 am »
Got mine yesterday. It is fantastic.

Ours is used about 90% of the time for youtube. It seems pretty snappy at that, although it doesn't seem to want to respond to voice searches. 

The size means I can hold it in portrait mode and use both thumbs to type.

Has ticked all the boxes I want in a tablet.  Might work out to cost me more than our air if I succumb and buy the whole family one!
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2179 on: November 17, 2014, 11:02:06 am »
Not massively fussed with having the very best phone, just want to be able to run emulators, have a decent battery and that's about it to be honest.

Will definitely be looking at the Oppo and the Huawei.

Go for the Mate 4g , it can easily handle emulators and stuff. You wont get a longer lasting android phone on the market!
Phuk yoo

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2180 on: November 17, 2014, 01:48:06 pm »
Android 5.0 is supposed to increase battery life a fair bit. Huawai are usually quite slow on the updates.

Might be worth looking at the Oneplus One as well as they are defo updating to Lollipop.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:49:40 pm by cloggypop »

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2181 on: November 17, 2014, 01:54:13 pm »
Android 5.0 is supposed to increase battery life a fair bit. Huawai are usually quite slow on the updates.

Might be worth looking at the Oneplus One as well as they are defo updating to Lollipop.
I don't know if it takes a period of calibration, but I'm yet to see any difference in battery life.  That said, battery saving mode (option to turn it on when at 15%) is better on Lollipop.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2182 on: November 17, 2014, 02:31:52 pm »
I'd be careful with the Oneplus one.

The only 4G LTE bands it'll work on in the UK are EE and only part of the 3 network.

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #2183 on: November 17, 2014, 10:58:12 pm »
Android 5 Lollipop has just finished installing on my Nexus 4. Looks nice on early glance.

Online LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2184 on: November 18, 2014, 10:00:24 pm »
Just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5, looks and feels really nice

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2185 on: November 19, 2014, 12:35:09 am »
Just installed Lollipop on my Nexus 5, looks and feels really nice

Whatsapp is a little clunky but otherwise looks decent. The improved battery life is what I'm most interested in but not sure to what extent the OS upgrade can improve it?
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2186 on: November 19, 2014, 08:53:33 am »
There is very little difference in battery life apart from when its in sleep mode.  Overnight my phone lost 1% battery which is better, during the day with normal use I've noticed very little difference.  This is after using Lollipop since Friday.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2187 on: November 19, 2014, 09:46:29 am »
There is very little difference in battery life apart from when its in sleep mode.  Overnight my phone lost 1% battery which is better, during the day with normal use I've noticed very little difference.  This is after using Lollipop since Friday.

Any difference in day to day performance? They have changed the runtime from Dalvik to ART which is supposed to make a significant difference in the context of resource management.

How different is the UI from stock Kitkat/Jellybean?
Phuk yoo

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2188 on: November 19, 2014, 10:03:21 am »
Any difference in day to day performance? They have changed the runtime from Dalvik to ART which is supposed to make a significant difference in the context of resource management.

How different is the UI from stock Kitkat/Jellybean?
I was using ART before the release of Lollipop.  Each app takes up more space, but they launch quicker and run smoother (apart from the ones that aren't compatible, there are a few).

The UI is vastly different in my opinion.  The app drawer has changed, the keyboard is different and the notification system has been revamped.  I really like the notifications, others may not (the opinion on forums is mixed).  The menus have all changed, the 'material design' look is much more consistent now.

The overall performance of the phone is marginally better, it was running well before, it seems slightly faster now.

I also sideloaded it on an old Nexus 7 I had lying around.  The ART runtime wasn't previously available on the first gen Nexus 7, now it's default.  I haven't looked through the developer options, but I'm assuming the Davlik option is no longer there.  The Nexus 7's performance goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.  One minute it's like butter, the next the whole system grinds to a halt.  Clearing the system cache has improved things considerably though.  I suppose the change is more vast on the Nexus 7 and it'll take time to iron out the bugs.

Nexus 9 is performing brilliantly with Lollipop, I haven't had any app crashes or noticeable bugs on either the N9 or N5.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2189 on: November 19, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
I was using ART before the release of Lollipop.  Each app takes up more space, but they launch quicker and run smoother (apart from the ones that aren't compatible, there are a few).

The UI is vastly different in my opinion.  The app drawer has changed, the keyboard is different and the notification system has been revamped.  I really like the notifications, others may not (the opinion on forums is mixed).  The menus have all changed, the 'material design' look is much more consistent now.

The overall performance of the phone is marginally better, it was running well before, it seems slightly faster now.

I also sideloaded it on an old Nexus 7 I had lying around.  The ART runtime wasn't previously available on the first gen Nexus 7, now it's default.  I haven't looked through the developer options, but I'm assuming the Davlik option is no longer there.  The Nexus 7's performance goes from the sublime to the ridiculous.  One minute it's like butter, the next the whole system grinds to a halt.  Clearing the system cache has improved things considerably though.  I suppose the change is more vast on the Nexus 7 and it'll take time to iron out the bugs.

Nexus 9 is performing brilliantly with Lollipop, I haven't had any app crashes or noticeable bugs on either the N9 or N5.

Thanks mate, interesting info.

The reason I asked is because my phone is probably getting an update in the next month or so and I am undecided whether the update is worth it or not. I am perfectly satisfied with Kitkat.

So basically the aesthetics have changed radically with some functional changes. A coworker told me today that the multitasking has changed too? I hope its not anything like the Windows phone version of multitasking.

Do you mind expounding a bit on what exactly has changed in the context of notifications?  :)
Phuk yoo

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2190 on: November 19, 2014, 11:25:04 am »
Firstly, Notifications and quick settings have been merged into one drag down menu, which I prefer.  When you receive a call, you don't have a new screen popping up interrupting what you're doing, instead you get a heads-up notification from where you can choose to receive or decline the call, messages and other important notifications also work the same way.  You also now get interactive notifications on the lock screen.

There's also an interruptions setting.  You can choose which notifications you want at certain times via a whitelist.

Task managing is also done via some sort of carousel rather than the old style switcher, oh and the soft keys have changed.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #2191 on: November 19, 2014, 01:25:54 pm »
Firstly, Notifications and quick settings have been merged into one drag down menu, which I prefer.  When you receive a call, you don't have a new screen popping up interrupting what you're doing, instead you get a heads-up notification from where you can choose to receive or decline the call, messages and other important notifications also work the same way.  You also now get interactive notifications on the lock screen.

There's also an interruptions setting.  You can choose which notifications you want at certain times via a whitelist.

Task managing is also done via some sort of carousel rather than the old style switcher, oh and the soft keys have changed.

cheers man.

The notification shade with quick settings is already implemented in some ODM skins, my Lg g pro has it.

Love the fact you can prioritize notifications as you want. Rest of it seems more cosmetic than actual changes in functionality.

Phuk yoo

Offline djphal

• Is Angry. But merked Daniel Sturridge. High Protector of Gavin's Almighty Midweek Erections.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2192 on: November 19, 2014, 02:06:47 pm »
Anyone else have problems with whatsapp notifications? quite often i dont get my messages until I open whatsapp, then they all come through

its a pain in my ass

Offline Thush

• Spawwow, Tit. Anal Chat is "Equidistant between chit-chat and analysis"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • It's pronounced "Toosh"
« Reply #2193 on: November 19, 2014, 08:10:12 pm »
Anyone else have problems with whatsapp notifications? quite often i dont get my messages until I open whatsapp, then they all come through

its a pain in my ass

Yes. I've had that a few times in the past months.

Offline Jimmy Two Times

• Two Times. A good fella. RAWK Cricket ODI Draft champion
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2194 on: November 20, 2014, 04:35:44 am »
It depends on your background data settings. Check your sync settings to see if background data is allowed for Whatsapp

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2195 on: November 20, 2014, 08:03:43 am »
Something's happened to recently to my HTC One where when I try and post photos or screenshots on here it now says  the file is too large ,never been a issue before. Has a update changed the settings ? Where do you go to change the file sizing ?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 05:44:25 pm by Shady Craig »

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2196 on: November 20, 2014, 09:12:53 am »

Hi Rob, I'm interested in doing this on an old Nexus 7 - can you point me int he right direction for a software download/how to do it? :wave

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2197 on: November 20, 2014, 09:15:35 am »
Hi Rob, I'm interested in doing this on an old Nexus 7 - can you point me int he right direction for a software download/how to do it? :wave

Give yourself plenty of time. Its a very fiddly method. Also you will lose everything on your Nexus so make sure its backed up.

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-and-install-android-5.0-lollipop-final-on-nexus-5-4-7-10-right-now-how-to-tutorial/

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #2198 on: November 20, 2014, 09:16:56 am »
http://www.redmondpie.com/download-and-install-android-5.0-lollipop-final-on-nexus-5-4-7-10-right-now-how-to-tutorial/

Cheers, will take a look! Although tehe Nexus is currently sat on my desk as dead as a doornail, and doesn't seem to be charging up. :(

Offline rob1408

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2199 on: November 20, 2014, 09:34:53 am »
Gazza's link will work, although I took a slightly different route.

http://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

To be honest, the OTA rollout to Nexus devices is well under way, you'd probably receive it automatically by Monday, my son's device updated last night.