Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 338297 times)

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #440 on: September 17, 2010, 09:14:17 pm »
Carrick and Scholes at United.

But Chelsea rely on a more physical approach with Essien and Mikel, but still good passers.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: September 17, 2010, 09:16:49 pm »
Sorry, nothing like him.  Not being awkward either.  Scholes and Lampard are quite comparable, and neither operate like Xabi. 
Carrick wishes he was like Xabi, but fails and is just a big, clumsy shite.

All I'm saying is that you don't need the Xabi model to win leagues.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #442 on: September 17, 2010, 09:17:02 pm »
Baz, not everyone was seeing it like that.
I still don't see a Xabi-esque player at United or Chelsea and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

The Mancs have Scholes and Carrick who would compare, the latter being one of the players Xabi recently recommended to England. Chelsea have Mikel and Essien playing that position, but they're not really Xabi'esque.

Just saw yours, Geezer, you're way off there.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: September 17, 2010, 09:19:48 pm »
Baz, not everyone was seeing it like that.
I still don't see a Xabi-esque player at United or Chelsea and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

We're not Chelsea or Mancs.

Of course teams don't need a player like Alonso. WE clearly do though.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
  • Rodgers will lead us back to glory.
« Reply #444 on: September 17, 2010, 10:15:16 pm »

18 months ago we destroyed Real Madrid at Anfield. The current world cup winning captain could only stand on his goal line and shake his head defeatedly, as Xabi Alonso propelled the Liverpool machine towards anhialating one of the biggest names in world world football. Xabi is now at Madrid, his partner in crime is in Barcelona, and the general who gave them their orders is now in Milan. It just makes you want to cry, doesn't it? :(

Wow, I never thought of it like that! Benitez had is wrongs, but he is a better manager than Hodgson.
And certainly Alonso and Masch are better than Lucas/Poulsen/Meireles.

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: September 17, 2010, 10:16:47 pm »
We're not Chelsea or Mancs.

Of course teams don't need a player like Alonso. WE clearly do though.

Alonso is a deep-lying playmaker, and every good team has won.
United have Scholes, hes been critical when hes played so far this season.
Chelsea are a bit different, but they have Essien who is a machine who possesses a great pass too.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: September 17, 2010, 10:27:48 pm »
Alonso is a deep-lying playmaker, and every good team has won.
United have Scholes, hes been critical when hes played so far this season.
Chelsea are a bit different, but they have Essien who is a machine who possesses a great pass too.

The only team I can think of who rely on one player to completely channel their passing football is Barca (despite the talent they have in all areas of the pitch, they miss Xavi a lot when he's out).

The Mancs, Chelsea, Arsenal... etc. all seem to have the ability to keep possession well throughout the team.

We need upgrades in defence and quicker CMs on the ball to take command even a little bit (if not as much as an Alonso/Xavi/Fabregas type).

Also, we seem to, as a team, really make it difficult for players with the 'pass and move' instincts to flourish. It gets beaten out of them. For a club that preaches the virtues of pass and move, it's tragic. And because of it, we find ourselves in a position where we need a dominant player to really drum the passing into the flow of the game. Since Alonso, we've not had one and we find ourselves as a quasi-midtable team.

We either bring in a player like Alonso (Aquilani was a fucking good bet), or we make changes in other areas of the pitch- I'd have Carra warm the bench for a start and bring in some pace and flair. Players like the latter create masses of space and time by taking players on. The latter has been a 1t weight on the team as a whole playing good football since Alonso left in my view.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Cybertom

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:33 pm »
Just curious.

How many of you would want him back? I mean, he had personal problems with Rafa. But now that Roy's incharge and Xabi sometimes tweets about LFC. Given a chance (atleast 1 in 1,000,000) would you have him back?

I would have him back.

I would have him back, yes.
A midfield of Alonso and Meireles would be good.

Offline imissrafa

• Main Stander
  • earliest memories..dad teaching me 'scouser tommy'
« Reply #448 on: September 17, 2010, 10:29:40 pm »
And lets not forget how fit he was!  :P

no seriously tho, he is a real class player and he seems so humble.

i do think he has that special bond with Liverpool fc, the city and the fans.

i was gutted when he went, even in his 'poor' seasons he was still as good as most players in his position. Also with all the Rafa stuff, he was extremely professional and never slated him.

Need to stop talking about him now, its making me sad!  :'(
Justice 96

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #449 on: September 18, 2010, 12:00:37 am »
Xabi Alonso - what can I say, simply put the best mid-fielder we have had in the last 20 years, Gerrard aside.
He was just awesome, from his passing skills to the way he would just get on with the game. Sometimes he would have a shot rebound of the frame of the goal, and there was just a slight grimace on the face as he was already running back to his position, no histrionics, just get on with the game.
Arsene Wenger called it right when he said Xabi Alonso is the most unique player in world football, and (at that time he was) like a quarter-back for Liverpool, every move going through him.
Spoilt an entire season for us last year Xabi by leaving though, always knew we were screwed big time, even though people decided to give the issue a blind-eye.
But, for what he has done, and the sheer mesmerizing artistry of conducting a mid-field that he shown us for 5years, we can forgive him that.
From the first day that he arrived and the first few passes that he made, I knew we were seeing someone from a level not seen in many a years. People fail to appreciate the beauty of the game in mid-field at times if it doesn't lead to a goal or an eye-catching assist, Xabi played the game of balance, always complementing any mid-fielder he was played with, adjusting his style, if he was playing with Gerrard or with Mascherano. We could replace almost everybody from the team from the season before last, but we couldn't have replaced just two players without upsetting the play - Gerrard and Alonso. Sadly one of them left, and the balance was broken.
We will have many a good mid-fields to come in years ahead, but it will always be a privilege to have seen Xabi Alonso.
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #450 on: September 18, 2010, 12:36:08 am »
Sorry, nothing like him.  Not being awkward either.  Scholes and Lampard are quite comparable, and neither operate like Xabi. 
Carrick wishes he was like Xabi, but fails and is just a big, clumsy shite.

All I'm saying is that you don't need the Xabi model to win leagues.
I rate Carrick and Huddlestone. They are good players, in fact, closest players to Alonso that England have, IMO. Not as good, but they can and should do the playmaking job for England. Somebody has to do it.

I agree with you, you don't necessarily have to have Alonso like player. But for a team like Liverpool and England, where players tend to look like individuals and not well-oiled machine, such player would connect them to make a team and improve immensely. I believe if Carrick is trusted that role, even if he isn't up there with the best in the world in his position, England will improve significantly. Though you have to trust him, and let him run the game.

Offline OrangeMochaFraps

• Legacy Fan
  • Interesting. No, wait, the other thing: tedious.
« Reply #451 on: September 18, 2010, 02:54:43 am »
Love Xabi. He's intelligent, professional, and damn good.

I always root for him, even though I flippin hate Real

Offline Ecuared

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: September 18, 2010, 03:06:48 am »
Classy player and it was nice to see him play a big role for Spain at the World Cup.
“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #453 on: September 18, 2010, 04:06:47 am »
Must admit I had great fun taking him out again and again from behind  in the Fifa 11 demo
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #454 on: September 18, 2010, 05:45:41 am »
I'd agree with that. He's not going to say Kenny Dalglish or Elisha Scott is he?

Yeah, I never saw Dalglish or Liddell or Souness play on a regular basis. Alonso is the jewel in Madrid's crown, he makes their whole engine work.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #455 on: September 18, 2010, 06:20:12 am »
It's funny how a couple of years ago people wanted him out for Gareth-Fucking-Barry (including our manager to be fair).
Fair? Stop peddling this shite, you're better than that.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #456 on: September 18, 2010, 11:37:39 am »
The other thing that doesn't get noticed is his defensive play. While he doesn't go in for the Hollywood bundle 'em out over the sideline tackles a la Masch or Gerrard, his positioning is excellent. Often, he discourages attacks just by standing in the right place.

I'm a hopeless Alonso addict - became so the very first time he played in Red in the unjust defeat at Bolton. Consequently I'm completely and utterably unreliable when it comes to judging the player. But I agree with you about his defensive work.

Why is it so good? I think it's for the same reason his offensive play is so good. It's the sheer two-footedness of the guy and the fact that that he goes into every situation with options and, if needs be, can change his mind at the very last mili-second and still accomplish the task he's set himself. It's notable that when Alonso is tackling with his right foot he positions his body in such a way that if the opponent beats him to the ball he can still whip in the left leg and nick it. He's made a speciality of tackling with what is effectively his trailing leg. A disguised tackle if you like - every bit as beautiful as his disguised passing.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Shabby

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #457 on: September 18, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
Best player I've ever seen play for the club.

Same.

A top class professional who's excellent passing and understanding of the game raised the performances of his team mates. We would look lost whenever he was absent, which is why when we sold him I knew we had no chance of winning the league.

He was truly a world class player, and him alongside Masch is one of the best CM partnerships I might ever see.

Off topic, I'll never understand why we didn't use the 4-2-3-1 formation in the first half of 08/09 after it had worked so well at the end of 07/08. The Masch-Alonso and the Gerrard-Torres combo were excellent, there was no need to break it up. There's no doubt in my mind that we'd have won the league that year had we used 4-2-3-1 the whole way through.

Once again, Alonso is boss!
£15m? It seems low, but what people have to remember is that the fee is irrelevant.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2010, 07:21:42 pm »
Poulsen out him in today wouldve been interesting

I think its all sorts of strange Mourinho is now the manager of Alonso and Ronaldo. Two people he openly slaughtered in the press over the years
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #459 on: September 19, 2010, 09:05:50 pm »
Top class professional?  Fuck off!  A top class professional wouldn't whinge and sulk about the fact the manager wanted to buy another player who played in his position.

I hate Xabi because I loved him.  He's a cnut! Fuck you Xabi Alonso for rejecting me!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #460 on: September 19, 2010, 09:21:12 pm »

Bit OTT that mate

Offline MidwestWool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wool
« Reply #461 on: September 19, 2010, 09:33:30 pm »

Gerrard shits all over Alonso from a great height.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: September 19, 2010, 09:41:45 pm »
Top class professional?  Fuck off!  A top class professional wouldn't whinge and sulk about the fact the manager wanted to buy another player who played in his position.

I hate Xabi because I loved him.  He's a cnut! Fuck you Xabi Alonso for rejecting me!

Time to take your medicine.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Strummer77

• Legacy Fan
  • @AlexDavis90
« Reply #463 on: September 19, 2010, 09:44:16 pm »
In Meireles we've finally got someone who comes close to replacing him, in my opinion.

Offline astowell1

• Legacy Fan
  • Klopp!
« Reply #464 on: September 19, 2010, 09:47:05 pm »

Yes. Simple as.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 19, 2010, 10:03:12 pm »

If you're looking at it upside down.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Randy Marsh

• Bastard Child of Roy Hodgson
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'We love you Randy'
« Reply #466 on: September 19, 2010, 10:11:02 pm »
If you're looking at it upside down.

Yep. Gerrard has the power to propel shit upwards at a sky high Xabi
"What do you wanna do huh, what do you wanna do"

Offline kalle-anka

• Dönåld Dükk!!!!!
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS member 6912
« Reply #467 on: September 19, 2010, 10:23:25 pm »
I remember this time, I think it was when we were playing TNS and there had been a lot of speculation about Gerrard leaving which he was finally quashing. So Gerrard was asked the question at some press conference, did he understand the feelings of the fans and he replied, of course, they thought they were going to lose their best player. To which the Guardian acidly replied, Alonso wasn't going anywhere.

=) come back Xabi!!

Offline SkinHimHesShite

• 80 kgs benchpressed, but are we impressed?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: September 20, 2010, 12:05:42 am »

LMAO

thanks, ive finally had a laugh today. off to bed.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #469 on: September 20, 2010, 12:07:21 am »
And yet Mascherano gets called everything under the sun...
We're on our way to glory...

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: September 20, 2010, 01:18:02 am »
Fantastic player at his best. We only seen that in two of his five seasons at the club though unfortunately.

Offline k.7

• Main Stander
« Reply #471 on: September 20, 2010, 08:14:07 am »

Xabi was all class when the rumours of him leaving were going on...

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #472 on: September 20, 2010, 08:26:28 am »

It's where he feels he can do the most daamge

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: September 20, 2010, 08:54:57 am »

Exactly!

Xabi was all class when the rumours of him leaving were going on...

Class in what way?  By not confirming the rumours he wanted to leave?  Yeah, very honest of you Xabi.
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #474 on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:36 am »

Quite apt considering his performances of late. And by of late, I mean the whole of last season.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 09:24:24 am by Finn Solomon »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: September 20, 2010, 09:22:29 am »

It's probably something to do with the fact that Alonso wanted to stay at Liverpool and the coach forced him out whereas Mascher told a reluctant coach he wanted to play somewhere else and ended up going on strike.

Although it might also have something to do with the fact that Alonso was twice as good as Mascher.

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: September 20, 2010, 09:28:23 am »

Except he didn't whinge and sulk. He put in his best season for us. A top professional. Even to this day he hasn't had a bad word to say about Rafa and has maintained a diginified silence on what happened.

Unless you can point me to other quotes?

A unique player. Classy on and off the pitch and a top lad. We miss you Xabi.

Online Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: September 20, 2010, 09:29:36 am »
It's probably something to do with the fact that Alonso wanted to stay at Liverpool and the coach forced him out

Except he didn't.

Offline thegoodfella

• makes reindeer pizza
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...siempre es posible
« Reply #478 on: September 20, 2010, 09:34:57 am »
It's probably something to do with the fact that Alonso wanted to stay at Liverpool and the coach forced him out whereas Mascher told a reluctant coach he wanted to play somewhere else and ended up going on strike.

Although it might also have something to do with the fact that Alonso was twice as good as Mascher.

They both wanted to leave, one was allowed to, the other one was told to wait till next summer. They are both exceptional players and were part of our 'best midfield in the world'.

Online Yorkykopite

• RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: September 20, 2010, 09:39:54 am »
Except he didn't.

You're wrong. One day Alonso was happy here, and believed he had a long contract. The next day the coach came and said he was buying a very slow piece of machinery from Aston Villa and Xabi should find himself another club.