Author Topic: Xabi Alonso  (Read 337632 times)

royhendo

Re: Xabi Alonso
« Reply #400 on: September 17, 2010, 10:36:55 am »
No, what did he say?

Loads - he's just a football man through and through, and his views on the game, his role, the mechanics of a side and a squad, and the relative merits of different managers and methods - just fascinating. Makes you wish you could interrogate him for a few days in the most benign sense possible ;D

Offline doikc

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
« Reply #401 on: September 17, 2010, 10:55:13 am »
any chance of a transcript?
"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." Mahatma Gandhi. Benitez YNWA

Offline James Mac

• Sabu Pundit's PR
  • Legacy Fan
  • Return of the Mac
« Reply #402 on: September 17, 2010, 11:00:02 am »
He's the footballer I'd most love to play like. There's something mesmerising about the way everything ticks when he's on the pitch - at least there was about Liverpool, haven't seen much of him at Madrid. Lovely guy as well, would have him here in the backroom any day, along with Hyypia.

Offline kwalitee, no?

• Believer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #403 on: September 17, 2010, 11:18:12 am »

Loads - he's just a football man through and through, and his views on the game, his role, the mechanics of a side and a squad, and the relative merits of different managers and methods - just fascinating. Makes you wish you could interrogate him for a few days in the most benign sense possible ;D
Players like Xabi don't come along very often, so while it might be difficult to watch him playing for another team I've just decided to watch anyway. There are a few players that I consider myself lucky to have seen play live over the years & Xabi is one of them. Oh and if you need help with the interrogation Roy just let me know.  :P  ;D

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
  • Our dreams are what make us who we are.
« Reply #404 on: September 17, 2010, 12:29:08 pm »

Oh yeah, even from his time here at Liverpool - you could see he's a student of the game. Not just a footballer with talent. He really studies and tries to understand the game and different aspects of it.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Breitner

• Charles 'Charlie' Charles says: "No more tactics God damn you. This is Association Football!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #405 on: September 17, 2010, 12:32:06 pm »
He's up there with the greats of the club for me. Unfortunately the decision to unsettle him to bring in Barry was the beginning of the end for Rafa.
If you can't trust Kenny, you need to find another club, seriously.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #406 on: September 17, 2010, 12:36:02 pm »
I do love how virtually every thread these days turns into a Rafa one.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #407 on: September 17, 2010, 12:37:04 pm »
He's up there with the greats of the club for me. Unfortunately the decision to unsettle him to bring in Barry was the beginning of the end for Rafa.

If we had better owners, we could have still had both players and maybe even a league title. :D
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them". Walt Disney

Offline Randy Marsh

• Bastard Child of Roy Hodgson
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'We love you Randy'
« Reply #408 on: September 17, 2010, 12:51:38 pm »
Jamie Redknapp would have been slightly better than Xabi.......if you crossed him with Xabi.
"What do you wanna do huh, what do you wanna do"

royhendo

« Reply #409 on: September 17, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »
If he ends up a manager you'd put money on him winning things. He's one of 'those' players.

In summary, from memory (got it on SKY+):

- In his 10 years this was the first pre-season where all work was done with the ball at all times
- The spirit in the squad is good throughout training (midweek)
- There's no prioritisation of trophies (obviously)
- He sees his role in terms of balance.

Balance was the theme he repeated. The comment "with the ball spending as little time at my feet as possible" - if you misread that you'd think he didn't want to be on the ball, but he expanded that his job was to always be available for his team mates who had the ball, and to shift it as quickly as possible to where it needed to be next.

Beautiful.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #410 on: September 17, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »
Said to the mrs yesterday, we were really spoiled with watching him, as any midfielder now, bar Xavi and Iniesta will never quite look and play so well

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #411 on: September 17, 2010, 02:19:21 pm »
Said to the mrs yesterday, we were really spoiled with watching him, as any midfielder now, bar Xavi and Iniesta will never quite look and play so well

Maybe im biased here, but i think Xabi's range of passing puts him above Xavi and Iniesta, who have the benefit of playing with each other, while Xabi spent most of his time with us playing with Masch, and Momo before that, who didnt offer the same level of movement or passing as midfield team mates.

I miss Xabi loads, hate watching Real Madrid hoping they fail misrably while at the same time wanting him to do well :s
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline chrisG

• Anny Roader
« Reply #412 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:16 pm »
He made a tweet yesterday that was like well done reds.

Offline Something Else

• that car's fine lookin' man (clearly insured with confused.com)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bazinga
  • Super Title: something else required
« Reply #413 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:53 pm »
Maybe im biased here, but i think Xabi's range of passing puts him above Xavi and Iniesta, who have the benefit of playing with each other, while Xabi spent most of his time with us playing with Masch, and Momo before that, who didnt offer the same level of movement or passing as midfield team mates.

I miss Xabi loads, hate watching Real Madrid hoping they fail misrably while at the same time wanting him to do well :s

Oh yeah, they are different players, all i mean is the way he looked in such control of the game, he never looked rushed, never looked pressure and always seemed to know what the next three moves are is so rare in football and only Xavi and Iniesta can match it.

A lot is said about other midfielders saying they are world class, Essien, Gerrard etc but they have never seemingly had what Alonso had, and that was bucket loads of time on the ball.

Xabi was a joy to watch in a liverpool shirt, and at times yesterday Merielles was getting the ball in areas Xabi used to and looked far more rushed, as has Lucas, Masch and Gerrard since ALonsos departure.

Alonso played the game differently to nearly all midfielders. He may not have contributed with15 goals a season or truely inspirational moments ala Gerrard, but when we lost Xabi we lost our team, and became individuals again.

The guy is a top football player and from watching him, if I had to bet on any of the current footballers becoming managers, I would throw my mortgage on him.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: September 17, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
World class and the best passer of the football currently in the game, and for a long, long time to. Every game there was 4 or 5 crossfield balls straight onto someones foot, so precise you couldn't fuck up controlling it even if you had a shite first touch.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline aggerman

• Anny Roader
  • We await the Coronation of King Kenny !
« Reply #415 on: September 17, 2010, 02:57:45 pm »
World class and the best passer of the football currently in the game, and for a long, long time to. Every game there was 4 or 5 crossfield balls straight onto someones foot, so precise you couldn't fuck up controlling it even if you had a shite first touch.

oi! lay off dirky wii ya  ;D
John the milkman on Rafa:

“He was a very good customer. He was just the three bottles of semi-skimmed. They didn’t have to be placed zonally on his step or anything. He was happy to have a chat and he would always look after you at Christmas.”

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #416 on: September 17, 2010, 03:03:45 pm »
Just curious.

How many of you would want him back? I mean, he had personal problems with Rafa. But now that Roy's incharge and Xabi sometimes tweets about LFC. Given a chance (atleast 1 in 1,000,000) would you have him back?

I would have him back.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: September 17, 2010, 03:08:47 pm »
If he ends up a manager you'd put money on him winning things. He's one of 'those' players.

In summary, from memory (got it on SKY+):

- In his 10 years this was the first pre-season where all work was done with the ball at all times
- The spirit in the squad is good throughout training (midweek)
- There's no prioritisation of trophies (obviously)
- He sees his role in terms of balance.

Balance was the theme he repeated. The comment "with the ball spending as little time at my feet as possible" - if you misread that you'd think he didn't want to be on the ball, but he expanded that his job was to always be available for his team mates who had the ball, and to shift it as quickly as possible to where it needed to be next.

Beautiful.

That really is brilliant. The thing about balance is something which Rafa talked about a lot and that comment about the ball is pretty much the same as Shanklys comment about football being a simple game.

"Football is a simple game, based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple"

Simple yes - but amazing how difficult it is to do.

royhendo

« Reply #418 on: September 17, 2010, 03:12:42 pm »
That really is brilliant. The thing about balance is something which Rafa talked about a lot and that comment about the ball is pretty much the same as Shanklys comment about football being a simple game.

"Football is a simple game, based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass. It is terribly simple"

Simple yes - but amazing how difficult it is to do.

The thing that gets me is that he sees his role as almost invisible. When you read stuff from Timoschuk it's similar, interestingly, but less detailed.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #419 on: September 17, 2010, 03:20:50 pm »
The thing that gets me is that he sees his role as almost invisible. When you read stuff from Timoschuk it's similar, interestingly, but less detailed.

Exactly just the cog in the wheel - you don't notice it but extremely vital. The thing is when he sprays the ball 40 yards to feet people notice but the rest of the stuff he does you don't really notice it but it's so vital to the way the team plays.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #420 on: September 17, 2010, 03:43:01 pm »
The other thing that doesn't get noticed is his defensive play. While he doesn't go in for the Hollywood bundle 'em out over the sideline tackles a la Masch or Gerrard, his positioning is excellent. Often, he discourages attacks just by standing in the right place.

royhendo

« Reply #421 on: September 17, 2010, 03:59:48 pm »
Yeah - that's why I like interviews with players like David's and Iniesta - the smaller lads. They're always making the point that positioning's everything - just as much as physical strength or balance.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: September 17, 2010, 04:14:01 pm »
Xabi Alonso was the most vital cog in the Rafa Benitez Liverpool machine. And when Alonso left, the engine gradually began to seize up, to the point where the Liverpool machine just could't race against the best anymore. When Xabi left I kidded myself into thinking that we could replace him and mount another title challenge, but deep down (even though I refused to admit it to myself) I knew I was wrong. I guess I was in denial.

How can one accurately describe Xabi Alonso? An artist whos canvas is the very football pitch he stands upon, with his nimble feet acting as the brushes to paint masterpiece after masterpiece?  A matador who entices all before him, before sweeping aside and sending his memesis to embrace thin air? A master of smoke an mirrors who leaves opponents chasing in his wake? His ability has been questioned on here many times, and I've lurked and read the threads concerning him, but at his best, he is a grade A central midfielder

18 months ago we destroyed Real Madrid at Anfield. The current world cup winning captain could only stand on his goal line and shake his head defeatedly, as Xabi Alonso propelled the Liverpool machine towards anhialating one of the biggest names in world world football. Xabi is now at Madrid, his partner in crime is in Barcelona, and the general who gave them their orders is now in Milan. It just makes you want to cry, doesn't it? :(

This.

When he went. the heart of the machine just stopped...... :(
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: September 17, 2010, 04:15:47 pm »
The other thing that doesn't get noticed is his defensive play. While he doesn't go in for the Hollywood bundle 'em out over the sideline tackles a la Masch or Gerrard, his positioning is excellent. Often, he discourages attacks just by standing in the right place.

Agree, thats what  is really noticeable when watching him live, his off the ball movement is amazing. He always knows where to place himself and cover for players that are out of position. We would never have been outplayed the way we did for Citys first earlier in the season, with Alonso in our team.

Offline koolkamal

• There's a kind of hush
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: September 17, 2010, 04:17:51 pm »
Yeah - that's why I like interviews with players like David's and Iniesta - the smaller lads. They're always making the point that positioning's everything - just as much as physical strength or balance.

Positioning is so important and can be the difference between a good player and a great player. Hyypia was a master of positioning.

Offline Promised to never post on RAWK again

• Might be Estonian_Red, but I wouldn't trust a word he says. In fact don't trust anything anyone says... EVER.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Where Amazing Happens
« Reply #425 on: September 17, 2010, 04:18:39 pm »

The internet is a bad place - People like Mac Red are on it.

Offline Ryan M

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #426 on: September 17, 2010, 04:20:00 pm »
He couldn't dribble, ran slow with the ball, ran slow with out the ball, never won many headers. Sorry just have to balance the Xabi'luv-in ;)

Watching Xabi play for me was like watching that pretty girl walk past on ur holiday, beside the pool, in her bikini. I mean the pretty type, not the type were u think if I see her smashed I might have a chance, more the pretty classy type, agree?

Offline Nebnotsew

• Kopite
« Reply #427 on: September 17, 2010, 04:22:36 pm »
My favourite Liverpool player. Love the lad
Quote from: Rafael Benitez
I was born Spanish, I am no longer as thin (the anxiety doesn’t help), and yes, sometimes I help serving the dinner.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: September 17, 2010, 05:55:59 pm »
Just curious.

How many of you would want him back? I mean, he had personal problems with Rafa. But now that Roy's incharge and Xabi sometimes tweets about LFC. Given a chance (atleast 1 in 1,000,000) would you have him back?

I would have him back.

Anyone who would say no is extremely silly.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:00 pm »
He will be back one day. As Liverpool manager. :)
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #430 on: September 17, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »
Anyone who would say no is extremely silly.
We haven't played well since he left.

The trick now is not to bring Xabi Alonso back as that ship has sailed but to find a player who can do similar things to keep a side ticking over. It need not be the Alonso way of spraying passes short and long amost similar to how Scholes plays now but we need a continuity player.

Banega would have been my call but we went for someone older in Meireles with Poulsen as the cheap cover for Mascherano.

Offline Mouth

• Loretta the Wool. Closely related to SHF's Trousers....and thought Thomas Müller was down to miss a penno. He's behind yooo. Wants you to say "what?" one more time! Dreams about anal sex but couldn't come even if he wanted to.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Filmed in front of a live studio audience
    • www.bigassfans.com
« Reply #431 on: September 17, 2010, 06:35:18 pm »
Seriously, what is your issue with him?
Love is her issue with him, love turned to unreasonable hatred because of rejection. I understand her completely.
"Paranoia is a very comforting state of mind. If you think they're out to get you, it means you think you matter"

Jurgen! What is best in life?

Crush your enemies. See dem driven before you. Hear d'lamentations of der vimmen.

Offline Samee

• الذين اذا اصابتهم مصيبة قالوا انا لله وانا &#
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: September 17, 2010, 06:54:56 pm »
He's so good I want to cry.
@Samee
In Leicester?
if city win the CL or the prem league in the next 3 years, I'll eat my own poo.

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #433 on: September 17, 2010, 07:14:12 pm »
I'd have him back in a heartbeat, the bastard

Offline Ambrosia

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #434 on: September 17, 2010, 07:28:06 pm »
Possibly the only player in footballing history to put a transfer request in and behave the way he did in summer 09 , but still be loved by the fans.

Can see him managing Liverpool in the future.

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #435 on: September 17, 2010, 08:49:25 pm »

:P

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #436 on: September 17, 2010, 08:50:32 pm »
Fucking beautiful player.

But weren't we only a two man team when he was still here?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #437 on: September 17, 2010, 08:55:18 pm »
I remember this time, I think it was when we were playing TNS and there had been a lot of speculation about Gerrard leaving which he was finally quashing. So Gerrard was asked the question at some press conference, did he understand the feelings of the fans and he replied, of course, they thought they were going to lose their best player. To which the Guardian acidly replied, Alonso wasn't going anywhere.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #438 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »
Amazing player. He brought a certain air of elegance and discipline that only few players have these days.

It's funny how a couple of years ago people wanted him out for Gareth-Fucking-Barry (including our manager to be fair). You were all off your heads. But now, the lad's the barometer of the CMs who have been playing in our team since. "Lucas isn't no Alonso", "Aquilani reminds me of him", "Meireles will be like him", "Gerrard's good, but he's no Alonso in that position"... etc.

He'll be a world class manager one day as well if he chooses to go down that path.

I can't watch Real Madrid as I think they play shite football (and the quality of football is all I look for when my attention ventures away from our club these days), and they disgust me actually. But when he plays for Spain, I still root for him like he's a Liverpool player.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: September 17, 2010, 09:06:07 pm »
Baz, not everyone was seeing it like that.
I still don't see a Xabi-esque player at United or Chelsea and it doesn't seem to have done them any harm.