Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 354448 times)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #5320 on: October 31, 2021, 07:11:25 pm »
Nice to see the BBC kept the old Bungle costumes

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #5321 on: October 31, 2021, 07:21:04 pm »
Bungle costumes aside I thought tonight was the best it’s been in a long time. First minute before the credits was a bit silly and I was fearing the worst, but the rest was pretty good, some old fashioned jumpy/scary moments some intriguing plots and a good cliffhanger. All things that have been largely missing.

Oh and 10/10 for the Anfield backdrop and the Doctor name checking the Klopp era and having watched the Barcelona game multiple times
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Cracking Left Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5322 on: October 31, 2021, 07:35:26 pm »
Really enjoyed that, best Jodie Whitaker episode for a fair while.

I presume Chris Chibnall is a Liverpool fan, I know he grew up in Formby at least
Thank you Jurgen

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5323 on: October 31, 2021, 08:36:21 pm »
First minute before the credits was a bit silly and I was fearing the worst, but the rest was pretty good,

Yeah, I'd agree. I hated that first sequence, so far removed from what I want from a Who episode, but they've thrown enough mystery at it afterwards  to keep me engaged so far.

John Bishop really isn't an actor though...
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5324 on: November 2, 2021, 07:54:10 pm »
Opening sequence was atrocious but it definitely got more interesting.  Bishop looks out of his depth at the moment but could grow into it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5325 on: November 7, 2021, 08:13:55 pm »
Another good one tonight.  The serialised format is working nicely.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5326 on: November 7, 2021, 10:01:09 pm »
Another good one tonight.  The serialised format is working nicely.
Yep I was getting a little confused at times but it all came together and as you say for once the ongoing story is interesting and playing a big role in the series. Another good cliffhanger although they do kinda spoil cliffhangers with the sneak peak of next weeks episode! The Swarm seem like a proper dangerous villain. Enjoying it again.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5327 on: November 14, 2021, 11:56:51 pm »
Hmm, Well this weeks was a little confusing to say the least. Seemed like nothing much happened other than setting up some further plot points of pieces of backstory

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5328 on: November 15, 2021, 09:02:29 am »
That was awful, effects straight out of something from the Sci-Fi channel in the 00s.  What on earth were they thinking.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #5329 on: November 15, 2021, 02:00:35 pm »

I loved it. This series is a welcome return to form for me (so far).

I thought the effects were pretty good - with the blue 'picking people out of time' swarm-type aliens being... a little different and jarring, but given the context of the story... worked okay.

Even John Bishop seems decent and watchable as Dan the companion. All this dog stuff stuff though - needs a nod to K9 somewhere ;)
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5330 on: November 15, 2021, 04:47:36 pm »
Hmm, Well this weeks was a little confusing to say the least. Seemed like nothing much happened other than setting up some further plot points of pieces of backstory

I actually thought that they've tied a few elements together now and a fair amount is a bit clearer, although that is with the caveat of adding a new layer of the 'this was done on purpose' woman, who now appears to be the 'big bad'. The next episode should clear up the Angel scenes going back to that first episode with that woman who seemed out of time, and 5 and 6 will probably see all the mysteries drop and the run to the finish.

(Edit: Forgot about the Victorian dude. Maybe that's episode 5's reveal)

I am a bit confused so far about why we're being given so much of Vinder's backstory. Is he being set up as a new companion? That would be my take, except for the fact that Chibnall is stepping down and that when the showrunner changes, we usually get a brand new slate of actors in the TARDIS too. I'd welcome him though, it's absolutely beyond time that a regular companion was some boring modern Earthling with nothing better to do.

On the subject of Vinder, there's got to be something brewing with Yaz, despite his link to that other girl. He consistently saw her in his vision/memories, and nobody else was seeing anyone other than the Doctor. Odd.

On the effects topic... yeah. I could have done with the bits in the timestorm itself, and whenever the Doctor looked like a ghost floating in the corner it was a bit naff, as opposed to her flickering in and out replacing other people in the memories which worked well.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5331 on: November 28, 2021, 07:48:50 pm »
There’s so much going on it’s hard to keep up with, but this is proper Doctor Who. The last two episodes have been excellent. Episode 3 aside this has possibly been the best run since it returned in 2005.
My only concern is there’s so much to tie up next week I worry it’s going to be rushed. Really hope not we’re due a satisfying finale.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5332 on: November 29, 2021, 08:23:25 pm »
Only the 100 concurrent storylines and characters to follow at the moment.  Really miss the days when it was just the Doctor and their companion.

Willing to bet good money the way to stop the flux will be to use all the stored up energy in the fob watch, leaving the Doctor with the choice of saving the universe at the expense of her memories.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5333 on: November 30, 2021, 08:08:29 am »
Weirdly I more or less understand what's going on. Probably means I'm missing half the detail.
Best series I can remember.
Bit biased about liking Dan and the Anfield opening was awesome .
Would love the finale to be an extended edition. I guess covid screwed the time lines but an extended Christmas special would have been the highlight of the day. Though I guess they need to be standalone episodes for the casual viewer.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5334 on: November 30, 2021, 10:44:49 am »
Been watching the David Tennant stuff, holds up alright like. A lot more coherent.
:D

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5335 on: December 6, 2021, 08:39:47 pm »
They just rarely seem to be able to come up with a good ending. Overall a decent season that had a lot of really good moments but I just found the ending a little flat and there was too much going on involving too many people.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5336 on: December 6, 2021, 08:42:50 pm »
Thought it was all over the place.  Like the idea of one big arc through the 6 episodes with a couple of little side quests, but there were just too many people involved.  And the person who came up with the plan to save the day wasn't even the Doctor (as seems to be the case every time these days).

And John Bishop shouldn't be anywhere near a proper acting gig, he just doesn't have the chops for it.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5337 on: January 2, 2022, 12:41:13 am »
Really enjoyed the whole Deathloop concept to the episode.

Also they are really going there with the ending to Jodie Whittaker's run which will turn some heads. The daily mail writers will be sharpening their knives in the run up to autumn and the new regeneration.

Looking.forward to seeing how Chibnall handles it

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5338 on: January 2, 2022, 02:21:50 am »
Also enjoyed the New Year special. Thought the concept worked well and the extra characters added something to the story. Did end up with one question. What was the point in the guy filming the fireworks at the end? Completely unnecessary so must have some significance?

Edit: just read the guy was in Jodie Whittakers debut episode as well, so perhaps no significance, just a very random cameo
« Last Edit: January 2, 2022, 02:25:29 am by duvva »

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5339 on: January 2, 2022, 10:33:33 am »
The loop getting shorter each time was an interesting take on the premise, then it felt like they just didn't have enough time to get everything done in it, but otherwise the special just felt like an attempt at a concept that other shows and movies have executed far better. Interesting ideas, not written well enough sort of sums up this Chibnal era for me to be honest.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5340 on: January 2, 2022, 10:34:46 am »
Felt like a regular TV episode as opposed to a seasonal special. Decent enough.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5341 on: January 2, 2022, 01:11:48 pm »
"We've got one minute exactly in the last loop, time to get to the 5th floor to grab the mysterious explosives, bring them down to the basement, set them up near the fireworks and then make a beeline for the door"

Yeah, that's not how time works

The only thing that really made this stand out from a regular episode was the guest stars I suppose, but then they don't have a great track record with the Christmas/New Year specials... didn't really need to be Daleks again, either. Just something that could easily kill them in the building as needed.

I thought the guy at the end would turn out to be Jeff, complaining about his stuff being destroyed.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5342 on: January 4, 2022, 03:09:19 pm »
Would make for a great text adventure.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5343 on: March 21, 2022, 02:50:08 pm »
The Guardian saying Hugh Grant is in talks to take over the role.

He would be good but couldn't see him doing more than a season.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #5344 on: March 21, 2022, 02:57:04 pm »
Dunno about Grant, but then the series has been on a steady nosedive for a while now, so...?

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5345 on: March 21, 2022, 03:14:58 pm »
I don’t mind Hugh Grant, but not sure I can see him as a doctor, plus as highlighted chances of him sticking around can’t be great.

They also usually go for someone fairly new or with a lower profile than that

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5346 on: March 21, 2022, 11:40:06 pm »
I'm just a girl standing in front of a Dalek asking him to kill her.

That Hugh Grant?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #5347 on: March 22, 2022, 12:30:12 am »
Hugh Grant has denied being in talks.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5348 on: April 17, 2022, 08:08:45 pm »
Dr who special was a bit meh. But the trailer for the next one was rather revealing. Some blasts from the past

Spoiler
looks like Ace and Tegan are making an appearance in the last adventure for 13
[close]

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5349 on: April 17, 2022, 08:52:16 pm »
Dr who special was a bit meh. But the trailer for the next one was rather revealing. Some blasts from the past

Spoiler
looks like Ace and Tegan are making an appearance in the last adventure for 13
[close]

Spoiler
As I recall, Ace was slotted to return in the Sarah Jane Adventures, but Elizabeth Sladen sadly passed. The concept was that she was going to be a successful businesswoman, but I don't know if they'll stick with that.
[close]

Not sure I feel comfortable with Who reaching for the memberberries. It's all a bit Rise of Skywalker, try to raise some nostalgia enthusiasm. Obviously, with a history like this show has, nostalgia is always going to be there, but it can be used constructively or cynically. I hope it's constructively.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5350 on: April 18, 2022, 02:51:48 pm »
Hugh Grant has denied being in talks.

David Tennant seems to be the favourite with all the bookies.

Either way, Russell T Davies is back overseeing things so I might bother watching whatever they have planned for the future.
:D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5351 on: April 18, 2022, 05:13:09 pm »
David Tennant? Seriously?

I remember as a kid wishing Tom Baker would come back, but I was a kid and he was my Doctor and I missed him when he went, so it's allowed.  Doing something like this might give the show a short term bounce, but I don't think it's healthy for the long term as it sets a rather awkward precedent.

I can understand the showrunners being desperate, but why the heck would Tennant even be interested?  His career can't be that flat, surely?  Plus we have a 60th anniversary show to prepare for next year.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5352 on: April 18, 2022, 08:34:37 pm »
Can’t see Tennant coming back except for the 60th show

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #5353 on: April 19, 2022, 05:15:33 pm »
There are strong rumours that Joel Collins will be added to the team of executive producers. He has done brilliant work on His Dark Materials both as a producer and the head of the production set on the show. His sets on that show were stunning.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5354 on: May 8, 2022, 12:41:09 pm »
Ncuti Gatwa will be the next Doctor

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news-and-features/ncuti-gatwa-is-the-doctor

Star of stage and screen, Ncuti is best known for his critically acclaimed performance in Sex Education as the iconic Eric Effiong, for which he was awarded Best Actor Award at the Scottish BAFTA’s in 2020 as well as numerous nominations including Best Male Performance in a comedy programme at this year’s BAFTA’s.

Speaking of his new role, Ncuti said: “There aren’t quite the words to describe how I’m feeling. A mix of deeply honoured, beyond excited and of course a little bit scared. This role and show means so much to so many around the world, including myself, and each one of my incredibly talented predecessors has handled that unique responsibility and privilege with the utmost care. I will endeavour my upmost to do the same.  Russell T Davies is almost as iconic as the Doctor himself and being able to work with him is a dream come true. His writing is dynamic, exciting, incredibly intelligent and fizzing with danger. An actor’s metaphorical playground. The entire team have been so welcoming and truly give their hearts to the show. And so as much as it’s daunting, I’m aware I’m joining a really supportive family. Unlike the Doctor, I may only have one heart but I am giving it all to this show.”

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5355 on: May 8, 2022, 12:48:28 pm »
Good for them, but this is going to cause a "outrage" for certain arses out there.

Offline duvva 💅

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5356 on: May 8, 2022, 01:10:37 pm »
Eric from Sex Education is the new doctor. This should be amazing

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5357 on: May 8, 2022, 01:41:51 pm »
Good for them, but this is going to cause a "outrage" for certain arses out there.

"Something" will be off about him, but they won't quite be able to explain what it is...

My initial reaction is that he's too young, but then I thought that about Matt Smith and enjoyed his portrayal overall.
« Last Edit: May 8, 2022, 03:54:23 pm by Riquende »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5358 on: May 8, 2022, 01:47:17 pm »
"Something" will be off about him, but they won't quite be able to explain what it is...

My initial reaction is that he's too young, but then I thought about Matt Smith and enjoyed his portrayal overall.

It's a quirky enough choice to get me back watching, that is what's smart about it. I imagine it may get some younger viewers on the back of the choice as well.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5359 on: May 8, 2022, 02:49:51 pm »

"Dr.Who isn't African he just isn't.Just more woke bullshit and I'm going to stop paying my TV license  :no :butt :no"

Or something like that  ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill