Author Topic: The Metal thread. Show your horns!  (Read 184693 times)

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Re: The metal thread. Show your horns!
« Reply #400 on: October 5, 2010, 08:47:26 pm »
Anyone here have some good recommendations on folk metal? I heard a song a short while back, can't remember the name of the band but the idea of mixing metal with folk music really got to me...

Anyone?

PS. Sahg rule, Chap! :wave
« Last Edit: October 5, 2010, 08:50:58 pm by Bennekov »

Offline Eluamous

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #401 on: October 5, 2010, 09:00:15 pm »
Anyone here have some good recommendations on folk metal? I heard a song a short while back, can't remember the name of the band but the idea of mixing metal with folk music really got to me...

Anyone?

Check out Turisas, if only for their cover of Rasputin.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: October 5, 2010, 09:08:29 pm »
Check out Turisas, if only for their cover of Rasputin.

I'm on it!! Ta... :wave

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #403 on: October 6, 2010, 12:08:00 am »
I've been on a brutal death metal/grindcore binge lately, bands like Cattle Decapitation, Devourment, Napalm Death, Suffocation, Psycroptic, and a lot of Tech death like Decapitated and Origin, I just can't get enough of it lately. Anyone recommend any obscure brutal/grind/tech death bands I might like?
Honestly mate, there's so much out there that it's difficult to recommend. I haven't been into the brutal side of death and grind for a while bar Napalm Death (who are so much better than everyone ever it's scary)

I would recommend Hate Eternal for some extreme florida death, i'd start with I monarch, which is awsome. Not as crushing, but more technical is the new Cephalic Carnage too, which is a bit too technical for me meaning it's only listened to now and again by me. ;)

Anyone?

They do indeed mate, pleased to hear your still loving it!

As for the folk metal, depends on what you want. Turisas is a great shout, if you like that i'd try Finntroll, who are mad. If you want something a bit more...laid back folk metal try Falkenbach who I thin are superb, as are Ensiferium and Korpiklaani.
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
  • I cough all Mornin', and I smoke all night.
« Reply #404 on: October 6, 2010, 12:19:58 pm »
Wintersun - Beyond The Dark Sun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhGUu6NVXvk

Can't Get Enough of this song!
-Justice.

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #405 on: October 6, 2010, 07:10:25 pm »
Honestly mate, there's so much out there that it's difficult to recommend. I haven't been into the brutal side of death and grind for a while bar Napalm Death (who are so much better than everyone ever it's scary)

I would recommend Hate Eternal for some extreme florida death, i'd start with I monarch, which is awsome. Not as crushing, but more technical is the new Cephalic Carnage too, which is a bit too technical for me meaning it's only listened to now and again by me. ;)

Love Hate Eternal, I've heard a lot of good things about Cephalic Carnage too, I'll defo check them out. Listened to some Obscura today, that was good. I'm told that Augury are decent as well.

Offline martinlloyd85

• Main Stander
  • I cough all Mornin', and I smoke all night.
« Reply #406 on: October 7, 2010, 01:28:21 am »
Love Hate Eternal, I've heard a lot of good things about Cephalic Carnage too, I'll defo check them out. Listened to some Obscura today, that was good. I'm told that Augury are decent as well.

Check out Nile. :)
-Justice.

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #407 on: October 7, 2010, 03:53:26 pm »
new dimmu borgir album is pretty good, very symphonic/gothic if thats your thing. just started listening to 'the royal arch blaspheme' and 'inquisition's  'into the infernal regions of the ancient cult'. both are mad.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #408 on: October 7, 2010, 04:00:55 pm »
I'm totally into Megadeth again the past few weeks. Totally. Mustaine is a fucking god.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #409 on: October 8, 2010, 04:23:11 am »
new dimmu borgir album is pretty good, very symphonic/gothic if thats your thing. just started listening to 'the royal arch blaspheme' and 'inquisition's  'into the infernal regions of the ancient cult'. both are mad.
I was going to come to the new dimmu but you've beaten me to it. Unfortunately we differ about it. There's only 1 track worth listening to on the whole album and that's track 8 which is I think "A Jewel Traced Through Coal". The rest is pure and utter garbage. They've been doing this for years now, and it fucks me off. They've only got 2 albums of note. The remake of Stormblast was good, and Spiritual Black Dimensions was brilliant. But these days they're just "black metal" for the ozzfest generation. Bland and unimaginative. All the other songs off the woefully named "Abrahadabra" could easily have been switched with many, many other below par shit from their other albums.
And all that was before i got onto the "gateways" song and video. The song is frankly fucking shit, that's before you get to the horrendous female vocals. Where they dragged up the screeching twat of harpy that does them i'll never know, but she shouldn't be anywhere near the genre. And for the video. Well they've outdone themselves this time. Take a look:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jw7yk8hm_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_jw7yk8hm_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name&gt;</a>

Shagrath (the idiot doing the lead singing) looks like a fucking Tuan Tuan from the empire strikes back. Utter gang of twats they really are.
Gratitude

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #410 on: October 8, 2010, 11:26:46 am »
R.I.P. Steve Lee. Singer of hard rock band Gotthard.

Started a thread about it, but no- one seems to give a fuck. :(
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline andyrol

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • might bring you boys a rabbit up in the week
« Reply #411 on: October 8, 2010, 06:48:41 pm »
I was going to come to the new dimmu but you've beaten me to it. Unfortunately we differ about it. There's only 1 track worth listening to on the whole album and that's track 8 which is I think "A Jewel Traced Through Coal". The rest is pure and utter garbage. They've been doing this for years now, and it fucks me off. They've only got 2 albums of note. The remake of Stormblast was good, and Spiritual Black Dimensions was brilliant. But these days they're just "black metal" for the ozzfest generation. Bland and unimaginative. All the other songs off the woefully named "Abrahadabra" could easily have been switched with many, many other below par shit from their other albums.
And all that was before i got onto the "gateways" song and video. The song is frankly fucking shit, that's before you get to the horrendous female vocals. Where they dragged up the screeching twat of harpy that does them i'll never know, but she shouldn't be anywhere near the genre. And for the video. Well they've outdone themselves this time. Take a look:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_jw7yk8hm_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name&gt;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_jw7yk8hm_0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_US&quot;&gt;&lt;/param&gt;&lt;param name&gt;</a>

Shagrath (the idiot doing the lead singing) looks like a fucking Tuan Tuan from the empire strikes back. Utter gang of twats they really are.
    i know what you mean actually, dont look at them as being 'black metal' anymore though. i put them in the same bracket as cradle of filth and even symphony metal like 'within temptation' and 'nightwish'. if you think like that they arent that bad and its a decent album. oh and i dont mind the singer on gateways, she sounds a bit like cerys mathews of catatonia. depends if you like her i supose

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #412 on: October 8, 2010, 10:46:08 pm »
R.I.P. Steve Lee. Singer of hard rock band Gotthard.

Started a thread about it, but no- one seems to give a fuck. :(
I didn't see the thread mate, sorry.

RIP

I've not heard much of their stuff, but the couple i have heard were decent enough. Could you recommend an album?
Gratitude

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #413 on: October 8, 2010, 10:50:43 pm »
    i know what you mean actually, dont look at them as being 'black metal' anymore though. i put them in the same bracket as cradle of filth and even symphony metal like 'within temptation' and 'nightwish'. if you think like that they arent that bad and its a decent album. oh and i dont mind the singer on gateways, she sounds a bit like cerys mathews of catatonia. depends if you like her i supose
haha, se i see that as just letting them off becoming tripe if i'm honest. I've no problem with bands experimenting or even changing styles, but that's not what Dimmu have done. What they've done is basically tried to make sure all the nippers are into them and buy their albums. Which is fine, but they've utterly sold themselves to do it. And it pisses me off. Galders band Old Man's Child is far closer to what dimmu should be than dimmu. Not that that makes any sense at all. I guess i'm just annoyed at them because they used to be able to write fucking awsome material. Until you get to the 8th song on that new album all the songs sound exactly the same. Yes the orchestra arrangements are nicely done, but they all sound the same and have since "Puritanical" came out. Their Choruses all have the same timing. In fact i'd go as far to say their the Linkin Park of "extreme" metal. Look like twats and play the same song over and over again.

Sorry.... got a real bee in my bonnet over them these days. ;D
Gratitude

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #414 on: October 9, 2010, 08:00:46 am »
I didn't see the thread mate, sorry.

RIP

I've not heard much of their stuff, but the couple i have heard were decent enough. Could you recommend an album?

My favourite is G from 1996.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline toomanysteves

• Kopite
« Reply #415 on: October 20, 2010, 11:53:17 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/iron-maiden-star-flies-reds

How fuckin cool is that. Bruce Dickinson is flying the plane. What wouldn't you give to be on that plane??
A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends.

Offline Sir Harvest Fields

• And it burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire. Generally an all-round decent fella but owes a great debt to felines globally. And to Jim. Shine On, You Crazy Diamond. "Winston? Winston! WINSTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Quicker Than Yngwie? Maybe!
« Reply #416 on: October 20, 2010, 11:54:17 am »
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/iron-maiden-star-flies-reds

How fuckin cool is that. Bruce Dickinson is flying the plane. What wouldn't you give to be on that plane??

hes been doing that for ages. even i fly that plane on FSX ;)
"Woe to you, Oh Earth and Sea, for the Devil sends the beast with wrath, because he knows the time is short...Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast for it is a human number, its number is Six hundred and sixty six."

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #417 on: October 20, 2010, 11:46:54 pm »
I've been on a brutal death metal/grindcore binge lately, bands like Cattle Decapitation, Devourment, Napalm Death, Suffocation, Psycroptic, and a lot of Tech death like Decapitated and Origin, I just can't get enough of it lately. Anyone recommend any obscure brutal/grind/tech death bands I might like?

You can check out !T.O.O.H! . They play some weird mix of grindcore and death metal. Their last album Rad A Trest is a masterpiece IMO. Check out this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWW-EUmrzRU

You can also check out Lykathea Aflame's Elvenefris. Very very good death metal with some oriental/eastern influences. Get this album!

You might also like Gorguts - Obscura. I cant describe it, but trust me it's bizarre. One of my favourite albums.

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #418 on: October 20, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »

Anyone?

Maybe some Nokturnal Mortum or Kroda? Both great bands but with questionable ideologies. If a band's beliefs aren't an issue then check them out. Recommended albums: Nokturnal Mortum- Goat Horns, The Voice Of Steel. Kroda- Cry To Me, River; Fimbulwinter.

You could also check out any album by Moonsorrow. They rule!

Edit- These bands may not be the kind of folk metal you're looking for, but IMO these bands combine the folk "feel" to their music very well. Check them out. :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:08:08 am by insomniac_marlin »

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #419 on: October 21, 2010, 04:53:41 am »

Maybe some Nokturnal Mortum or Kroda? Both great bands but with questionable ideologies. If a band's beliefs aren't an issue then check them out. Recommended albums: Nokturnal Mortum- Goat Horns, The Voice Of Steel. Kroda- Cry To Me, River; Fimbulwinter.

Edit- These bands may not be the kind of folk metal you're looking for, but IMO these bands combine the folk "feel" to their music very well. Check them out. :)
Moonsorrw do indeed utterly fucking rule. They're not a band to stick on when you've got 5 mins and want to listen to a track though. They only do long, epic tunes and it's one of the reasons i love their stuff so much!!

I really like Nokturnal Mortum. I personally don't give much of a flying monkeys what people's ideologies are as long as they make music i think is great. For example Varg Vikernes is a grade a twat, his ideologies are shit, but dammit i fucking love Burzum. Same with the Nokturnal lads. As you say questionable, at best, but Goat horns is a cracking album! I haven't given The voice of steel enough of a spin of late, there' s been too much coming out all at once. Not listened to Kroda, i'll have to grab some!
Gratitude

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #420 on: October 21, 2010, 09:11:06 am »
Moonsorrw do indeed utterly fucking rule. They're not a band to stick on when you've got 5 mins and want to listen to a track though. They only do long, epic tunes and it's one of the reasons i love their stuff so much!!

I really like Nokturnal Mortum. I personally don't give much of a flying monkeys what people's ideologies are as long as they make music i think is great. For example Varg Vikernes is a grade a twat, his ideologies are shit, but dammit i fucking love Burzum. Same with the Nokturnal lads. As you say questionable, at best, but Goat horns is a cracking album! I haven't given The voice of steel enough of a spin of late, there' s been too much coming out all at once. Not listened to Kroda, i'll have to grab some!

Yeah, I forgot to mention Moonsorrow's epic song lengths. It's one of the reasons I love them so much. 

I think The Voice Of Steel's a great album. Some of the solos on that album remind me of pink floyd for some reason. Maybe its because of the guitar tone. Oh, and Varg's a nutcase (But agree with you,Burzum's great!).  ;D

Offline Jack the Red

• Legacy Fan
  • ...Never forget...
« Reply #421 on: October 21, 2010, 11:00:25 am »
How fucking good are Orange Goblin? Really getting into them at the moment, I don't think I've heard a bad song by them yet. Great band.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: October 21, 2010, 11:33:52 pm »

I've just Youtubed Moonsorrow and clicked the first song. About 3:00 into and it sounds cool! Deffo going to be on my playlist on grooveshark.com for a while now. What's with the ideologies? Are they into burning wooden churches in Norway like Varg Vikernes (indeed he's one fucked up fella!) as well?

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #423 on: October 22, 2010, 12:57:14 am »
How fucking good are Orange Goblin? Really getting into them at the moment, I don't think I've heard a bad song by them yet. Great band.
The answer is very, very fucking good! Coupe de Grace is by far and away my favourite album of theirs. Blindingly good live too if you ever get a chance to catch em.
Gratitude

Offline Raikko

• Boys Pen
  • Rafa's Fault
« Reply #424 on: October 22, 2010, 09:33:17 am »

Anyone?

A few of my favorites have already been mentioned, but here are some more:

Agalloch - Listen to their album Pale Folklore especially, very beautiful music actually. Very atmospheric.
Alestorm - Silly "gimmicky" songs about pirates, nothing serious, mostly for a laugh or as drinking songs  ;)
Arkona - Russian folk metal, most of their songs are in Russian so if that doesn't bother you go for it. I think there is a Polish band by this same name so make sure you get the right one.
Crimfall - Kind of a symphonic/folk metal hybrid, they have both clean female vocals and harsh male vocals. Good stuff.
Dalriada - Hungarian folk metal, rather new discovery of mine but I like what I've heard so far.

I have plenty more, I literally just went through my iTunes playlist in alphabetical order and picked the first five folk metal bands I had, it comprises quite a bit of what I listen to. Check them out and I can always offer more suggestions if you like.

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #425 on: October 22, 2010, 10:38:35 am »
I've just Youtubed Moonsorrow and clicked the first song. About 3:00 into and it sounds cool! Deffo going to be on my playlist on grooveshark.com for a while now. What's with the ideologies? Are they into burning wooden churches in Norway like Varg Vikernes (indeed he's one fucked up fella!) as well?

I'm not sure if they burn churches, but both Kroda and Nokturnal Mortum are Ukrainian bands and their members are also part of some extreme right wing groups. Most of Kroda's songs are about Paganism and history as far as I know (But one of their songs starts with the line "No Jews!" ). The guys from Nokturnal Mortum label themselves as NSBM (National Socialist Black Metal). They believe in racial purity and don't like the mixing of different races. One of the guys from Nokturnal Mortum described himself as a terrorist in an interview.  ::)  So like I said, if a band's beliefs aren't  a problem, try them.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #426 on: October 23, 2010, 05:01:24 am »
I'm not sure if they burn churches, but both Kroda and Nokturnal Mortum are Ukrainian bands and their members are also part of some extreme right wing groups. Most of Kroda's songs are about Paganism and history as far as I know (But one of their songs starts with the line "No Jews!" ). The guys from Nokturnal Mortum label themselves as NSBM (National Socialist Black Metal). They believe in racial purity and don't like the mixing of different races. One of the guys from Nokturnal Mortum described himself as a terrorist in an interview.  ::)  So like I said, if a band's beliefs aren't  a problem, try them.
Aye. It's all very sad really, but there you go, they make quality music. I've had loads of shit from people who don't listen to metal at all who've seen somthing to do with a certain band and the ideologies that the band members believe in and it makes me fucking laugh it really does. I've been called most names under the sun at differing times "nazi" and "satanist" being the favourites, which fucking cracks me up to be honest, especially the first one.

"How can you listen to that stuff, it peddles evil"

"really? Which bit of their lyrics offended you specifically when you were listening to them?"

"Oh, well i haven't heard any...."

me :lmao

It's all about the music for me. If it kicks ass I don't care if it's NSBM, Satanic, Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, straight edge......whatever. I'm a strong enough individual to be able to like musically brilliant stuff and not suddenlt become a braindead wanker because of some lyrics i read. The other thing is that most of the general herd don't understand that any publicity is good publicity. A lot of these bands say and do things that upset people because it gets them attention.

I remember Gorgoroth being banned from Poland because during a show they had a naked woman on a cross (actually i think it might have been a few). You can bet your cash that there was a lot of Polish black metal fans who started listening to them after that. Stuff that symoblises things that the "establishment" doesn't like always sells as it's a "symbol" to some people.

I had an interesting.....conversation with a mate of mine a while back. He's a big fan of hip hop, but older stuff. Happens to be giving me grief over my love of what he called "white supremacist" music. So I said to him "Sorry mate, but you can fuck off considering you're a massive, massive fan of Straight outta compton by NWA (so am I btw) which is every bit as racist and absurd as some of the stuff i listen which gets no airplay and no media coverage."

Apparently "it's not the same". Dozy fucker ;D. There's corruption, racism and stupidity in every single ascpect of the music industry and pretty much every genre going. But it's always metal that gets the shitty end of the stick, because it's always been cool to have a go at "the devils music"

In the words of Bill Hicks.:

"They tell us "Rock'n'roll is the devil's music." Well, let's say we know that rock is the devil's music, and we know that it is, for sure... At least he fuckin' jams! If it's a choice between eternal Hell and good tunes, and eternal Heaven and New Kids on the fuckin' Block...I'm gonna be surfin' on the lake of fire, rockin' out."

Amen to that. :)

And seeing as i'm babbling on in here, I might as well go over what i've been listening to this week. 2 albums ahve come my way. First is The Isolationist by American Black Metaller(s) Krieg

Excellent stuff. Very, very raw black metal, quite an opressive sound....claustrophobic when listened to on headphones in the dark ( ;) yeah i love it....)

and secondly the self titled 3rd album ( i think) from Daath

Kinda brutal in places, groovey in others. Kinda death metal, very well produced, but not over produced and commercial sounding. Hard to describe them really considering everything else i listen to, but they do float my boat musically, so there you go ;D

I think i've jibbered on enough in this post....don't you? :wave
Gratitude

Offline pepe_carra_stevie_nando

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: October 23, 2010, 09:22:45 am »
Metallica in 4 and a half hours. Can't fucking wait. Been buzzing all day.
Thing is, if you're going to have a massive beard then you simply MUST have a 'tache with it. Otherwise you just look like you've dipped your sticky chin in to a box of fannies.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:35 pm »
Aye. It's all very sad really, but there you go, they make quality music. I've had loads of shit from people who don't listen to metal at all who've seen somthing to do with a certain band and the ideologies that the band members believe in and it makes me fucking laugh it really does. I've been called most names under the sun at differing times "nazi" and "satanist" being the favourites, which fucking cracks me up to be honest, especially the first one.

"How can you listen to that stuff, it peddles evil"

"really? Which bit of their lyrics offended you specifically when you were listening to them?"

"Oh, well i haven't heard any...."

me :lmao

It's all about the music for me. If it kicks ass I don't care if it's NSBM, Satanic, Christian, Buddhist, Islamic, straight edge......whatever. I'm a strong enough individual to be able to like musically brilliant stuff and not suddenlt become a braindead wanker because of some lyrics i read. The other thing is that most of the general herd don't understand that any publicity is good publicity. A lot of these bands say and do things that upset people because it gets them attention.

I remember Gorgoroth being banned from Poland because during a show they had a naked woman on a cross (actually i think it might have been a few). You can bet your cash that there was a lot of Polish black metal fans who started listening to them after that. Stuff that symoblises things that the "establishment" doesn't like always sells as it's a "symbol" to some people.

I had an interesting.....conversation with a mate of mine a while back. He's a big fan of hip hop, but older stuff. Happens to be giving me grief over my love of what he called "white supremacist" music. So I said to him "Sorry mate, but you can fuck off considering you're a massive, massive fan of Straight outta compton by NWA (so am I btw) which is every bit as racist and absurd as some of the stuff i listen which gets no airplay and no media coverage."

Apparently "it's not the same". Dozy fucker ;D. There's corruption, racism and stupidity in every single ascpect of the music industry and pretty much every genre going. But it's always metal that gets the shitty end of the stick, because it's always been cool to have a go at "the devils music"

In the words of Bill Hicks.:

"They tell us "Rock'n'roll is the devil's music." Well, let's say we know that rock is the devil's music, and we know that it is, for sure... At least he fuckin' jams! If it's a choice between eternal Hell and good tunes, and eternal Heaven and New Kids on the fuckin' Block...I'm gonna be surfin' on the lake of fire, rockin' out."

Amen to that. :)

And seeing as i'm babbling on in here, I might as well go over what i've been listening to this week. 2 albums ahve come my way. First is The Isolationist by American Black Metaller(s) Krieg

Excellent stuff. Very, very raw black metal, quite an opressive sound....claustrophobic when listened to on headphones in the dark ( ;) yeah i love it....)

and secondly the self titled 3rd album ( i think) from Daath

Kinda brutal in places, groovey in others. Kinda death metal, very well produced, but not over produced and commercial sounding. Hard to describe them really considering everything else i listen to, but they do float my boat musically, so there you go ;D

I think i've jibbered on enough in this post....don't you? :wave

Sometimes I just wish you lived down the road and I'd known you for ages... Fuck me you know a lot of bands I've never heard of! :) Another heap of bands added to my to-listen-to list when I have the time for it.....

As always: Thanks Chap! :wave

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #429 on: October 24, 2010, 02:47:59 pm »
Sometimes I just wish you lived down the road and I'd known you for ages... Fuck me you know a lot of bands I've never heard of! :) Another heap of bands added to my to-listen-to list when I have the time for it.....

As always: Thanks Chap! :wave
hahaha! You wait until i start getting obscure mate! ;) :thumbup

Oh there was another folky-metal band i wanted to reccomend to you, whilst i remember. Another finnish lot called Ensiferum who are class My personal fave is "Victory songs" because how can anyone not love an album with such a great song as "One more magic potion" ;D

:wave
Gratitude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: October 24, 2010, 03:01:12 pm »
hahaha! You wait until i start getting obscure mate! ;) :thumbup

Oh there was another folky-metal band i wanted to reccomend to you, whilst i remember. Another finnish lot called Ensiferum who are class My personal fave is "Victory songs" because how can anyone not love an album with such a great song as "One more magic potion" ;D

:wave

Can't wait for obscurity to kick in!! ;D

I actually listened to Ensiferum the other day. I really think they were cool! :thumbup I've been through a bunch of folk/viking metal bands and my fave's so far are: Korpiklaani, Ensiferum and Amon Amarth.

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #431 on: October 24, 2010, 07:55:32 pm »

Yeah, I know what you mean. Some of my friends think there's something wrong with me because i listen to metal. I've even been called an elitist for my taste in music.
And I like reading long posts, just dont have the patience to write one.  ;)

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #432 on: October 24, 2010, 08:43:58 pm »
Can't wait for obscurity to kick in!! ;D

I actually listened to Ensiferum the other day. I really think they were cool! :thumbup I've been through a bunch of folk/viking metal bands and my fave's so far are: Korpiklaani, Ensiferum and Amon Amarth.

Well if you are looking for more bands maybe you could try :

Bathory- The inventors of Viking metal. Listen to Twilight of the Gods,Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Nordland I and II, Destroyer of Worlds and Blood on Ice. Quothorn, the guy behind the band, was a genius. Bathory are one of the most influential bands in extreme metal.

Galar-Their debut Skogskvad is a very underrated album IMO. Viking/folk metal with catchy riffs and a healthy mix of clean vocals and growls. My description might sound cliched, but give them a try. I'm sure they wont disappoint.

Falkenbach- They play a more chilled out type of folk metal mixed with black metal. All of their albums are great.

Manegarm- Again a very underrated band. Very consistent in their output. Again, all of their albums are great. Highly recommended!

Myrkgrav- A fairly unknown one man viking metal project. They've released only one album so far. Full of great riffs with both clean vocals and growls.

Windir- Great folk/black metal. Their album 1184 is their best IMO.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: October 24, 2010, 10:00:02 pm »

Bathory- The inventors of Viking metal. Listen to Twilight of the Gods,Blood Fire Death, Hammerheart, Nordland I and II, Destroyer of Worlds and Blood on Ice. Quothorn, the guy behind the band, was a genius. Bathory are one of the most influential bands in extreme metal.

Galar-Their debut Skogskvad is a very underrated album IMO. Viking/folk metal with catchy riffs and a healthy mix of clean vocals and growls. My description might sound cliched, but give them a try. I'm sure they wont disappoint.

Falkenbach- They play a more chilled out type of folk metal mixed with black metal. All of their albums are great.

Manegarm- Again a very underrated band. Very consistent in their output. Again, all of their albums are great. Highly recommended!

Myrkgrav- A fairly unknown one man viking metal project. They've released only one album so far. Full of great riffs with both clean vocals and growls.

Thanks for your input. :thumbup Another bunch of band names I've never heard of added to my list. Fuck me I have a lot of "homework" to do now... ;D Just listening to Ensiferum - "Little Dreamer" - really good music!!

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #434 on: October 24, 2010, 11:54:39 pm »

Mate there's some great recommendations in there! Someone after my own heart I think! ;D

Totally agree with Bathory being suggest. The granddaddy of everything that's brilliant when it comes to both Viking and Black metal. Quorthorn (RIP :( ) was a visionary, a genius and I never ever tire of listening to their stuff! I'd probably same Hammerheart would be the best one for Bennekov, would be right up his ally!

Utterly agree with Falkenbach (superb), Mangarm (very good) and Windir (Fucking excellent! RIP Valfar! :( ). I must confess to not having heard the other 2 and will be checking them out very soon, so thanks for them mate! :wave.

Oh and for those who care (and that should be everyone who likes this kind of metal) the new Agalloch is out this week and i cannot wait as their fucking brilliant!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... Metal. Fucking love it! ;D
Gratitude

Offline insomniac_marlin

• Main Stander
« Reply #435 on: October 25, 2010, 12:03:20 am »
Thanks for your input. :thumbup Another bunch of band names I've never heard of added to my list. Fuck me I have a lot of "homework" to do now... ;D Just listening to Ensiferum - "Little Dreamer" - really good music!!

Glad I could be of help.  :)

Mate there's some great recommendations in there! Someone after my own heart I think! ;D

Totally agree with Bathory being suggest. The granddaddy of everything that's brilliant when it comes to both Viking and Black metal. Quorthorn (RIP :( ) was a visionary, a genius and I never ever tire of listening to their stuff! I'd probably same Hammerheart would be the best one for Bennekov, would be right up his ally!

Utterly agree with Falkenbach (superb), Mangarm (very good) and Windir (Fucking excellent! RIP Valfar! :( ). I must confess to not having heard the other 2 and will be checking them out very soon, so thanks for them mate! :wave.

Oh and for those who care (and that should be everyone who likes this kind of metal) the new Agalloch is out this week and i cannot wait as their fucking brilliant!

Ahhhhhhhhhh.... Metal. Fucking love it! ;D

Its great to find someone of similar taste in music. :) Do check out Galar and Myrkgrav though. I have a feeling you might like them.
 I love Agalloch! They create beautiful music! Pale Folklore and The Mantle are my favourites.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #436 on: October 25, 2010, 12:14:17 am »
I've got Agalloch - Falling Snow playing right now..... Another great shout in this thread! :thumbup

Maaaaaaan I'm going to be a poor man with all these new albums I have to buy!  :butt Thanks for ruining me...  :moon

Offline Raikko

• Boys Pen
  • Rafa's Fault
« Reply #437 on: October 25, 2010, 01:28:40 am »

I love all those bands except Galar who I haven't heard of. Will check them out myself.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #438 on: October 26, 2010, 10:21:32 am »
I love all those bands except Galar who I haven't heard of. Will check them out myself.
:wave Hey Raikko, welcome to the good music appreciation socitey!!

Oh and Bennekov, here's one that i've been listening to a lot of late, that i don't think i've mentioned (and i'm too lazy to go back through the thread lol)

Now the troll boys aren't really "folk" metal. It's more like black metal mixed with Polka music, but i fucking love it. High energy and always puts a smile on my face (no matter which album of theirs i'm listening to) quality stuff!
Gratitude

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: October 26, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »
:wave Hey Raikko, welcome to the good music appreciation socitey!!

Oh and Bennekov, here's one that i've been listening to a lot of late, that i don't think i've mentioned (and i'm too lazy to go back through the thread lol)

Now the troll boys aren't really "folk" metal. It's more like black metal mixed with Polka music, but i fucking love it. High energy and always puts a smile on my face (no matter which album of theirs i'm listening to) quality stuff!

Guess I beat you to them, Chap! I've been listening to them quite a lot lately. They are very energetic and very melodic which is something I appreciate. But hey thanks for the shout. I never turn down an opportunity to learn something new... :wave