Author Topic: Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann  (Read 167805 times)

Offline Azi

• eckerslike
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sarah Palin resigns
« Reply #280 on: December 6, 2010, 04:11:31 pm »
Seeing as how nobody visits the News and Current Affairs board...

I play a Stephen Colbertesque persona in which I am a rabid Hodgsonite and point out the flaws in his defender's arguments by whole heartedly supporting them.

aka  :rash

;D

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #281 on: December 6, 2010, 04:24:11 pm »

I play a Stephen Colbertesque persona in which I am a rabid Hodgsonite and point out the flaws in his defender's arguments by whole heartedly supporting them.

It's a form of game theory I think, good guy bad guy, and potentially a smart move.
I seem to remember reading an article back in the 80's that suggested that surrender or in effect agreeing even though you don't, rather than fighting and disagreeing can actually be a very useful technique in that the aggressor, providing they are not bent on genocide, then has to absorb not just the people but their way of life and thinking and the end result is that the policies of the aggressor become diluted or even become what they originally fought against. I think the article was from the Pentagon or some such place.
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #282 on: December 6, 2010, 04:26:54 pm »
Gulley's discovered who I really am. I'm actually Donald Rumsfeld.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #283 on: December 6, 2010, 04:28:25 pm »

And how's that going?

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #284 on: December 6, 2010, 04:29:02 pm »
Gulley's discovered who I really am. I'm actually Donald Rumsfeld.

You got your known unknowns, your unknown unknowns, your known knowns check it Finn Two Three Four

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: December 6, 2010, 04:30:34 pm »
And how's that going?

Great at first, but now the whole forum bar a few morons hate the Hodge so there's precious few fish snapping at the bait nowadays.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #286 on: December 6, 2010, 04:35:45 pm »
Great at first, but now the whole forum bar a few morons hate the Hodge so there's precious few fish snapping at the bait nowadays.

As a little boy on the beach holding his momma's hand, Finn's eye lit up when he met Xerxes1 for the first time.
« Last Edit: December 6, 2010, 04:54:21 pm by El Campeador »

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: December 6, 2010, 04:36:43 pm »
;D He was one of the very first.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #288 on: December 6, 2010, 04:53:20 pm »
...... Finn's eye lit up when he met xerxes for the first time.

Xerxes1 please.....the original Xerxes on here was a wum from a Cottonopolis forum.
There's still some of them on here but it's in hand.;)

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: December 8, 2010, 07:04:21 am »

You got your known unknowns, your unknown unknowns, your known knowns check it Finn Two Three Four

I like this one:

Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #290 on: December 8, 2010, 11:46:52 am »
Apparently Palin cuts up a moose on her new reality show. Aaron Sorkin cuts up Palin....

Sarah Palin, The Phony Pioneer Girl, Killing Animals For Fun

"Unless you've never worn leather shoes, sat upon a leather chair or eaten meat, save your condemnation."

You're right, Sarah, we'll all just go fuck ourselves now.

The snotty quote was posted by Sarah Palin on (like all the great frontier women who've come before her) her Facebook page to respond to the criticism she knew and hoped would be coming after she hunted, killed and carved up a Caribou during a segment of her truly awful reality show, "Sarah Palin's Alaska", broadcast on The-Now-Hilariously-Titled Living Channel.

I eat meat, chicken and fish, have shoes and furniture made of leather, and PETA is not ever going to put me on the cover of their brochure and for these reasons Palin thinks it's hypocritical of me to find what she did heart-stoppingly disgusting. I don't think it is, and here's why.

Like 95% of the people I know, I don't have a visceral (look it up) problem eating meat or wearing a belt. But like absolutely everybody I know, I don't relish the idea of torturing animals. I don't enjoy the fact that they're dead and I certainly don't want to volunteer to be the one to kill them and if I were picked to be the one to kill them in some kind of Lottery-from-Hell, I wouldn't do a little dance of joy while I was slicing the animal apart.

I'm able to make a distinction between you and me without feeling the least bit hypocritical. I don't watch snuff films and you make them. You weren't killing that animal for food or shelter or even fashion, you were killing it for fun. You enjoy killing animals. I can make the distinction between the two of us but I've tried and tried and for the life of me, I can't make a distinction between what you get paid to do and what Michael Vick went to prison for doing. I'm able to make the distinction with no pangs of hypocrisy even though I get happy every time one of you faux-macho shitheads accidentally shoots another one of you in the face.

So I don't think I will save my condemnation, you phony pioneer girl. (I'm in film and television, Cruella, and there was an insert close-up of your manicure while you were roughing it in God's country. I know exactly how many feet off camera your hair and make-up trailer was.)

And you didn't just do it for fun and you didn't just do it for money. That was the first moose ever murdered for political gain. You knew there'd be a protest from PETA and you knew that would be an opportunity to hate on some people, you witless bully. What a uniter you'd be--bringing the right together with the far right.

(Let me be the first to say that I abused cocaine and was arrested for it in April 2001. I want to be the first to say it so that when Palin's Army of Arrogant Assholes, bereft of any reasonable rebuttal, write it all over the internet tomorrow they will at best be the second.)

I eat meat, there are leather chairs in my office, Sarah Palin is deranged and The Living Channel should be ashamed of itself.

source

Offline High_Cotton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #291 on: December 8, 2010, 12:35:26 pm »
She's a nuisance. 

Luckily, someone will enjoy the meat taken from the caribou, even though it likely won't be Palin herself, as I'm pretty sure that by law, the meat must not be wasted.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #292 on: January 11, 2011, 05:06:20 pm »
Good sum up from the Guardian on Palin's place in the Arizona shootings.

Sarah Palin hit by fallout from Arizona shooting spree

Republican being damaged by repeated television showings of her having targeted Congresswomen Gabrielle Giffords

* Ewen MacAskill in Washington
    * guardian.co.uk, Monday 10 January 2011 21.34 GMT

Sarah Palin's hopes of being the Republican nominee to take on Barack Obama next year are suffering from the fallout from the Arizona shooting spree, under criticism from both left and right.

Although there is no direct line from Palin to the suspect, the reality is that she is being damaged by the repeated television showings of her having targeted Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords using a crosshairs image on her website. The footage also shows Giffords warning Palin that her use of such violent imagery would have "consequences".

Palin's chances of announcing a run for the White House dived over the last 48 hours on Intrade, the politically neutral online trade/betting exchange, dropping from around 75% to around 60%.

"The long and the short is she is damaged," Larry Sabato, professor of politics at the University of Virginia, said. "This is obvious even to the base. I do not think other Republican candidates will use it against her. They do not have to because there will be so much commentary. She has identified herself with the most strident elements of the party."

Palin and her small inner circle are reported to be appalled and disgusted that the left has linked her to the shooting. But it is not just the left who will welcome her discomfort. Many senior Republicans do not want to see her run for office.

Sabato said he had spoken to several senior Republicans who believe she is damaged, describing her as one of the additional victims of the tragedy.

"The truth is when you get beyond the party activists, you can't find senior Republicans who want her to get the nomination," Sabato said. "They know she will get beaten by a landslide in the election [against Obama]. They are not stupid."

The left claims the violent rhetoric of Palin and the Tea Party movement has contributed to the present toxic political environment. It cites Palin's use of language such as her call to supporters to "reload" after losing the health care debate.

The Tea Party movement responded that it is not clear what the politics of the shooter are, with some claiming he is a liberal "pothead" rather than a rightwing conspiracist. They say the use of warlike rhetoric has long been commonplace in politics, with talk of campaigns and battles.

Mark Meckler, one of the leaders of the Tea Party Patriots, told the Daily Beast website: "To see the left exploit this for political advantage – some people have no conscience. It's genuinely revolting … I think it sinks to the level of evil."

The problem for Palin is that she is caught up in the centre of an ugly debate, not a good place for a would-be presidential candidate who has to win on the centre ground.

David Frum, a former Bush speechwriter, argued that Palin's response – condolences to the victims and a simple denial of any responsibility – was perfectly fair in reply to opponents who suggested the crosshairs contributed to the shooting. But if she wanted to be a leader, she had to go beyond that, he said. He called on her to express real grief and sincere compassion, be visible, engage in the debate, and challenge opponents,

"Palin is splashed by that history [the build-up to the Tucson incident] and the challenge is to find something big and generous to speak of in a larger way. So far, she has opted not to do so," Frum said.

Time is running out for Palin. In theory, she could leave it until towards the end of the year to declare her intention to seek the Republican nomination. In reality, the invitations are already being sent out to participate in debates against other candidates in Iowa and elsewhere round the country.

The date of the first test, the Iowa caucus, is likely to be early next year, but candidates will have had to have visited the state many times before that.

A poll in Iowa as well as a nationwide Gallup one today had Palin trailing, though the figures are largely meaningless this early in the political season other than as a rough guide.

The main significance of the Gallup poll is that it characterises Palin as a polarising figure, with high negative ratings, even among Republicans.

Andrew Sullivan, the conservative blogger, writing in response to Palin's tanking in Intrade, wrote: "There is no way to understand the politics of this without Palin. She has long been the leader of the movement that drapes itself in military garb, that marinates in violent rhetoric, that worships gun culture, that has particular ferocity in the state of Arizona, and that never ever apologises for anything."

He adds: "My hope is that this horrifying momentary conflation of politics, guns and mental illness will lead responsible figures on the right to eschew the path of Palin."

Steve Clemons, a liberal blogger and a director at the Washington-based think-tank New America Foundation, saw Palin as culpable for "the whole brand of lock and load politics, that frontierswoman mystique and a continuation of the Bush Texas-style swagger".

He said a culture had developed in American politics in which people "yell out … and stomp their feet, and act as if brute force is something to be celebrated". He added: "What used to be celebrated is ability to think through politics. What we are celebrating is ignorance. I think Sarah Palin has had an enormous amount to do with this." He predicted Palin and the Tea Party would be forced to the fringes in the near term, but predicted both would prove resilient.

Mark Blyth, a professor of politics at Brown University, was equally hardbitten in his assessment. In a week's time, he said, what people would be talking about would be the jobless market, cutting the deficit and the cost of oil, rather than the shooting.

"Is this going to be the thing that sinks Sarah Palin? Probably not," he said.

source

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: January 11, 2011, 06:24:21 pm »
Breaking: Andrew Sullivan blames Sarah Palin for looming East Coast blizzard

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • A stranger in a strange land.
« Reply #294 on: January 11, 2011, 07:08:13 pm »
I think she should just walk away from all this politics malarkey and stick to her TV and movie career - I thought she was excellent in "Nailin' Palin".

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #295 on: January 11, 2011, 09:20:13 pm »
Breaking: Andrew Sullivan blames Sarah Palin for looming East Coast blizzard

Please tell me which bits of this are untrue.

"There is no way to understand the politics of this without Palin. She has long been the leader of the movement that drapes itself in military garb, that marinates in violent rhetoric, that worships gun culture, that has particular ferocity in the state of Arizona, and that never ever apologises for anything."

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: January 11, 2011, 10:19:01 pm »
Sullivan was one of the first to point the finger at Palin in the aftermath of the shooting, so of course he thinks there's no way to understand the politics of this without Palin. There's no reason for Sarah Palin to be involved in the politics of the shooting at all. She had nothing to do with it. Questions about gun control or mental health care would seem to be the central political questions involved, but people like Sullivan can't help themselves in involving Palin in everything. He at the forefront of the Sarah Palin not being Trig's mother conspiracy back through the 2008 campaign.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #297 on: January 11, 2011, 10:31:21 pm »
Sullivan was one of the first to point the finger at Palin in the aftermath of the shooting, so of course he thinks there's no way to understand the politics of this without Palin. There's no reason for Sarah Palin to be involved in the politics of the shooting at all. She had nothing to do with it. Questions about gun control or mental health care would seem to be the central political questions involved, but people like Sullivan can't help themselves in involving Palin in everything. He at the forefront of the Sarah Palin not being Trig's mother conspiracy back through the 2008 campaign.

There being no reason to involve Palin has never stopped the entire American media before but on this occasion, he was justified. The Palin gunsight thing, it being a gun crime, combined with her self made persona as unelected Queen of the Gun Licking Right, meant that she was always going to be in this story, whether she liked it or not (and she usually does). Sorry for the thread crossover but she is the figure in American politics that most makes the Rest of the World say, holy fuck, what are you doing over there.

I don't doubt any of the things you attribute to Sullivan, by the way. I would have helped him.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2011, 10:41:16 pm »
I rather like the phrase 'Gun Licking Right', corkboy. One of your own?
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2011, 10:46:44 pm »
I rather like the phrase 'Gun Licking Right', corkboy. One of your own?

I think so. Maybe I read it somewhere, though. In fact, I'd probably go with Lickin' now that I look at it.

Online Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #300 on: January 12, 2011, 02:39:41 pm »
She now responds...

Sarah Palin today accused her opponents of manufacturing a "blood libel" by suggesting her rhetoric and campaign tactics had anything to do with the Arizona shootings.

Four days after an incident which left six people dead and critically injured the congresswoman Gabriel Giffords, Palin released a video statement condemning the attack.

She denied that a now infamous campaign map showing Giffords' electoral district in the cross hairs of a gun had influenced the shooter Jared Lee Loughner.

In an attack on her accusers, she said: "Journalists and pundits should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn. That is reprehensible."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/jan/12/sarah-palin-response-arizona-shooting

Wow. Her lack of awareness about the importance and impact of language is quite stunning. Using the expression 'blood libel' to describe what what commentators have said about her own words, while a Jewish congresswoman is recovering from a near-fatal shooting, is quite unbelieveable.

She's the patron saint of 'not getting it'.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #301 on: January 12, 2011, 02:53:02 pm »
Wow. Her lack of awareness about the importance and impact of language is quite stunning. Using the expression 'blood libel' to describe what what commentators have said about her own words, while a Jewish congresswoman is recovering from a near-fatal shooting, is quite unbelieveable.

That phrase "blood libel" rang a bell but I admit I had to look it up. For anyone who doesn't know....

Blood libel (also blood accusation) refers to a false accusation or claim that religious minorities, almost always Jews, murder children to use their blood in certain aspects of their religious rituals and holidays. Historically, these claims have–alongside those of well poisoning and host desecration–been a major theme in European persecution of Jews.

She is fucking unbelievable.

Edit: She or her people probably picked it up from this piece by Glenn Reynolds, a libertarian law professor, who really ought to know better.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 03:04:01 pm by corkboy »

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #302 on: January 12, 2011, 03:09:33 pm »
I'm starting to hope she become President. It'll be wildly entertaining.

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #303 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:00 pm »

It really is just staggering.
Either it's a very disgusting and deliberate association or it demonstrates an amazing ignorance.

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: January 12, 2011, 03:27:15 pm »
It really is just staggering.
Either it's a very disgusting and deliberate association or it demonstrates an amazing ignorance.

I believe it is "amazing ignorance" on her behalf, but very "deliberate association" by the people pulling her strings.

Offline richmond-red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: January 12, 2011, 03:31:13 pm »
Shit, if that happens I'm definitely out of here.

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #306 on: January 12, 2011, 04:23:28 pm »
Dont get me wrong, im no fan of Palin, Republicans or Right wing politics, but I think people need to realise that sometimes there are just nutters out there who do crazy things and that you cannot pin the blame on another individual or group of people other then the one pulling the trigger.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #307 on: January 12, 2011, 04:39:05 pm »
Dont get me wrong, im no fan of Palin, Republicans or Right wing politics, but I think people need to realise that sometimes there are just nutters out there who do crazy things and that you cannot pin the blame on another individual or group of people other then the one pulling the trigger.

Sarah Palin is telling me to kill you right now.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #308 on: January 12, 2011, 05:06:39 pm »
I believe it is "amazing ignorance" on her behalf, but very "deliberate association" by the people pulling her strings.
I think she's being setup for a fall here, someone in the tea party wants to get rid of her and probably made sure a statement like that was prepared. Unbelievable ignorance is a more apt phrase.
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:05 pm »

Means the opposite usually  ;)

Palin must be in a meeting right now with her advisor - "Cletus, I've gone and done it again "
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: January 12, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »

Indeed - She will make Bush look clever

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #311 on: January 12, 2011, 05:33:35 pm »
That phrase "blood libel" rang a bell but I admit I had to look it up. For anyone who doesn't know....

Edit: She or her people probably picked it up from this piece by Glenn Reynolds, a libertarian law professor, who really ought to know better.

Holy shit

Literally
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #312 on: January 12, 2011, 05:58:43 pm »

I'm just hoping she becomes the Republican candidate for 2012. Obama will tear her a new one.
Twitter - FinnSolomon

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #313 on: January 12, 2011, 06:01:23 pm »
I'm just hoping she becomes the Republican candidate for 2012. Obama will tear her a new one.

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side.

Offline KiNki

• Smicer devotee supreme, Sammy Lee impersonator extraordinaire.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • i am an_nik_ki.
    • http://hfdinfo.com/digital
« Reply #314 on: January 12, 2011, 08:11:34 pm »

only from a distance.

Offline The Manhattan Project

• snood fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • I Have Become Death, The Destroyer Of Worlds
« Reply #315 on: January 13, 2011, 10:49:50 am »
If she became president, it would be like that movie "King Ralph"
china syndrome 810512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 59118 identification unknown 113
source transmission 4121 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 0101505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 010414 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave

Online west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #316 on: January 13, 2011, 10:53:50 am »
Sarah Palin is telling me to kill you right now.

As an adult surely you can decide that for yourself? ;)
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Sasquatch

• Veteran fingerer of the bad times
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm hairy and very very smelly
« Reply #317 on: January 14, 2011, 08:53:42 am »
I don't care what people say about Sarah Palin. She gives me a stiffy. What a sexy MILF.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #318 on: January 14, 2011, 09:12:58 am »
only from a distance.

Only from another planet. Nuclear codes and Sarah Palin never belong in the same sentence.

Can someone change the topic title. Every time it bubbles up the board, the title raises the hope that she has fucked off back to Alaska and obscurity...

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #319 on: January 14, 2011, 10:04:35 am »
Can someone change the topic title. Every time it bubbles up the board, the title raises the hope that she has fucked off back to Alaska and obscurity...

She has nothing to resign from.