Author Topic: Sarah Palin and Michele Bachmann  (Read 167801 times)

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Sarah Palin resigns
« Reply #240 on: November 8, 2010, 01:38:32 pm »
I'm no Sarah Palin defender, but that was a bit harsh.

She exploits others fears for her own gain mate, fear of minorities and people that are different to an ignorant minority and that has dangerous consequences as an amount of them will act on their fears, admit she's not alone, but she is one of the most prominent.

And it's not done so she can promote decency or advance a cause, it is all personal ambition.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #241 on: November 8, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »
She exploits others fears for her own gain mate, fear of minorities and people that are different to an ignorant minority and that has dangerous consequences as an amount of them will act on their fears, admit she's not alone, but she is one of the most prominent.

And it's not done so she can promote decency or advance a cause, it is all personal ambition.

you are talking about her as if she was Hitler, the leader of the Ku Klux Klan, of the minister of the Westboro Baptist Church.  You talk about her as if her main schtick is saying we need to deport all Mexicans.

Her "exploitation of fear of minorities" level is in no way greatly higher than any other politician out there.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #242 on: November 8, 2010, 03:14:50 pm »
She's a chancer.  She's got a few gifts and she's using them to the best of her exploitation.

Another celeb in search of a talk show, but with a bad bully pulpit agenda, imo.
Kill the humourless

Offline The Gulleysucker

• RAWK's very own spinached up Popeye. Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • An Indolent Sybarite
« Reply #243 on: November 8, 2010, 03:16:41 pm »
....Her "exploitation of fear of minorities" level is in no way greatly higher than any other politician out there.

Reminds me of a Mad magazine bumper sticker from the mid 70's with the slogan..

Be American - Offend all minorities equally.

;)
I don't do polite so fuck yoursalf with your stupid accusations...

Right you fuckwit I will show you why you are talking out of your fat arse...

Mutton Geoff (Obviously a real nice guy)

Offline El Campeador

• Capital of Culture's Campaign Manager...Transfer Board Veteran 5 Stars.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The shupporters create chances, for sure, djes
« Reply #244 on: November 8, 2010, 04:12:00 pm »
Her "exploitation of fear of minorities" level is in no way greatly higher than any other politician out there.

Do you really believe half the shit you spout? That Palin's "exploitation of fear of minorities" level is "in no way greatly higher" than say Obama's?

Offline Bangin Them In

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: November 8, 2010, 05:53:36 pm »
you are talking about her as if she was Hitler, the leader of the Ku Klux Klan, of the minister of the Westboro Baptist Church.  You talk about her as if her main schtick is saying we need to deport all Mexicans.

If by others you mean her Nazi slightly right wing mates in the teapot party then yes you are correct.

All she has is exploitation of fear as a platform.

And the hood would probably mess her hair otherwise she'd have one.
A win for the Liverpool country

Offline JoeTwerp

• Leader of the Maryland Vigilante Child Army. Mayor of Twerpville. Population 2
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: November 8, 2010, 06:08:45 pm »
Do you really believe half the shit you spout? That Palin's "exploitation of fear of minorities" level is "in no way greatly higher" than say Obama's?

in what ways are their views on immigration and the foreign wars radically different?

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: November 8, 2010, 06:17:40 pm »
don't get me wrong, Sarah Palin sucks; her views are terrible, she has tried to co opt the TP 'movement' and has been successful in doing so with some people.  She does not come off as being particularly intelligent, she does play up fear in a general sense, but so do a lot of politicians, maybe she is worse in that category.  But I'm not going to let you get away with 'fear of minorities' if not for any other reason than it lets her off the hook.  She sucks on pretty much everything, and I find it odd to try and make her out to be some sort of racist.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: November 8, 2010, 06:36:56 pm »
maybe she is worse in that category.

:P

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: November 8, 2010, 06:56:00 pm »

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #250 on: November 8, 2010, 07:12:24 pm »
did you not see the bold part?

I did. Like much of the Twerpillian Bible, this point is vague, theoretical, and also isn't very quantitative.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #251 on: November 8, 2010, 07:54:16 pm »
She sucks on pretty much everything,

Got pics?
Kill the humourless

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #252 on: November 8, 2010, 08:58:16 pm »
She isn't evil in the tradtional sense but there's an irresponsibility there, an ignorance that is easily dangerous. She is stupid but has other gifts and she is ambitious and that's an awful combination.

I'm not sure how far to go with this, the question of whether she can bear responsibility for what she's doing, because I honestly don't know if she actually thinks she's doing the right thing morally. Much like Eric Cartman, she probably has herself convinced that every step she takes is the right one, despite the fact that from the outside, and excepting about a quarter of the US, she is obviously self centred in everything she does.

She showed her colours in the last White House race. She was exposed as ignorant, uninformed (and even deliberately, proudly so) and slightly unhinged. That's all fine, there's no law against being uninformed but for such a person to actually believe that they are qualified for, potentially, the highest office in the land is breathtaking. By way of one of my beloved analogies, suppose Liverpool are in the European Cup final and for some bizarre reason, I am able to choose between myself and Torres to play up front. It is abundantly, screamingly obvious to anyone with a brain that I am super unqualified for the job but I go ahead and put myself forward. I would basically be saying to every LFC fan out there, fuck you, I want the game and I don't care about the greater good. That's Palin.

Which is why I am still genuinely baffled at the nearly 60 million Americans who voted for the ticket with her on it and the old, unhealthy guy. Looking in from the outside, it seemed an idiotic thing to do, to expose your own country to a risk like that. I wonder how many people who voted for McCain did so while mentally blocking out the genuine possibility of Palin having to step up to the plate and sort out some of America's foreign policy. She's demonstrably stupid and 60 million people voted for her. And if anyone feels like chucking Joe Biden into the ring, have a quick look at his career first, and then consider that Palin quit the first big job she had, all because she wanted more money and less work.

I agree with the article about her ambitions, I don't she'll ever run for President. She's too fucking lazy. Much easier going round to her handpicked, smalltown get togethers for 100k and some lobster and then tweeting her latest thought.

Incidentally, when you put Obama into google the first suggested word after it is "deception". That's a cheery thought.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: November 8, 2010, 09:23:27 pm »
I did. Like much of the Twerpillian Bible, this point is vague, theoretical, and also isn't very quantitative.

as if "She exploits others fears for her own gain mate, fear of minorities and people that are different to an ignorant minority and that has dangerous consequences as an amount of them will act on their fears, admit she's not alone, but she is one of the most prominent."   is quantitative.

For examples of her non racist fear mongering see: death panels, that is something that she is waaaay more famous for than anything to deal with minority groups.  I suspect she probably has some sort of "democrats are going to take away our guns" line out there too.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: November 8, 2010, 09:26:18 pm »

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: November 17, 2010, 11:30:46 pm »
The Palin Network

Long, must read from the NY Times Magazine section if you're interested in this sort of thing

My takeaway is she has serious trust issues, which in turn affect her ability to set up an organization that is effective and efficient. She is relevant because of who she is and how much attention the media will give her, but she will have to seriously adjust her style if she is going to mount a credible run in the GOP primary. I am becoming more convinced that she will run, and this isn't an act to remain in the public eye (although I hope I'm wrong). Furthermore, I think this year's primaries showed she can win the nomination, especially if the field is large and does not winnow to two candidates shortly after the early primaries like it did with Obama and Hillary. But I think this article shows major short comings in her need to trust everyone close to her that will lead to internal drama in her campaign. She'll either need to get a thicker skin and learn how to delegate to her staff, or the flame out will be absolutely spectacular.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #256 on: November 18, 2010, 10:00:36 am »
The Palin Network

Long, must read from the NY Times Magazine section if you're interested in this sort of thing

My takeaway is she has serious trust issues, which in turn affect her ability to set up an organization that is effective and efficient. She is relevant because of who she is and how much attention the media will give her, but she will have to seriously adjust her style if she is going to mount a credible run in the GOP primary. I am becoming more convinced that she will run, and this isn't an act to remain in the public eye (although I hope I'm wrong). Furthermore, I think this year's primaries showed she can win the nomination, especially if the field is large and does not winnow to two candidates shortly after the early primaries like it did with Obama and Hillary. But I think this article shows major short comings in her need to trust everyone close to her that will lead to internal drama in her campaign. She'll either need to get a thicker skin and learn how to delegate to her staff, or the flame out will be absolutely spectacular.

Will read that later.

I hope she runs.

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #257 on: November 18, 2010, 02:38:59 pm »
Read that, good piece, although I suspect that the top level access came at a price.

I would love her to run in one sense because I already have the one liner for the Democrats. She quit her elected position as Governor of the Great State of Alaska to do a reality tv show.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: November 19, 2010, 06:47:18 pm »
One question springs to mind

Would You ?

Offline BIGdavalad

• Major Malfunction. Yearns To Be A Crab! MOD Agony Aunt. Dulldream Believer. Is the proud owner of a one year old login time.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: November 19, 2010, 06:48:56 pm »

Would You ?

Surely that goes without saying?
Joining Betfair? Use the referral code UHHFL6VHG and we'll both get some extra cash.

All of the above came from my head unless otherwise stated. If you have been affected by the issues raised by my post, please feel free to contact us on 0800 1234567 and we will send you an information pack on manning the fuck up.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #260 on: November 19, 2010, 06:54:14 pm »
Surely that goes without saying?

That is what i would have thought. I deffo would.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: November 20, 2010, 01:08:33 am »

Would You ?

Nailin' Palin :lickin
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: November 20, 2010, 04:30:47 am »
is it possible to fuck the stupid out of someone?

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: November 20, 2010, 05:54:00 am »
is it possible to fuck the stupid out of someone?

No but don't worry, you'll lose your virginity someday regardless.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #264 on: November 25, 2010, 10:09:53 am »
Sarah Palin: 'We've got to stand with our North Korean allies'

A slip of the tongue by Sarah Palin mixing up North and South Korea is a reminder of the credibility hurdles she faces

Sarah Palin never claimed she could see Russia from her house – that was Tina Fey – but she went one better on Glenn Beck's radio show in discussing the tensions in the Korean Peninsula and saying: "We've got to stand with our North Korean allies".

A transcript of the radio show reads:

Interviewer: How would you handle a situation like the one that just developed in North Korea?

Palin: Well, North Korea, this is stemming from a greater problem, when we're all sitting around asking, 'Oh no, what are we going to do,' and we're not having a lot of faith that the White House is going to come out with a strong enough policy to sanction what it is that North Korea is going to do. So this speaks to a bigger picture that certainly scares me in terms of our national security policy. But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty....

Interviewer: South Korean.

Palin: Yes, and we're also bound by prudence to stand with our South Korean allies, yes.

Although it was obvious from her preceding remarks that this really was just a slip of the tongue, it's exactly the kind of slip that Palin can't afford to make if she wants to be a credible presidential candidate in 2012.

It wasn't long before Twitter wags got on the case:

Like the brave Sarah Palin, I, too, support our allies in North Dakota

A book on the 2008 presidential election campaign, Game Change, had some revealing if unsourced claims about Palin's lack of knowledge, presumably coming from one of John McCain's advisors. Page 397 of the paperback edition described events from September 2008:

[M]embers of her traveling party met Palin at the Ritz-Carlton near Reagan airport, in Pentagon City, Virginia – and found that, although she'd made some progress with her memorization and studies, her grasp of rudimentary facts and concepts was minimal. Palin couldn't explain why North and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Fed did. Asked who attacked America on 9/11, she suggested several times that it was Saddam Hussain. And asked to identify the enemy that her son would be fighting in Iraq, she drew a blank.

A slip of the tongue is the bane of any politician's life: ask Barack Obama, who in the presidential campaign said he'd visited 57 states and has rarely been allowed to forget it. So if Palin is a serious candidate for the Republican nomination it's better that she mix up South and North Korea than North and South Carolina, where a crucial early presidential primary takes place.

Aside from the North Korea mistake, Palin's full response to the question was foreign policy boilerplate: stand by South Korea and try to put pressure on China. Hardly maverick stuff – and almost certainly what the White House is already doing.

source

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: November 25, 2010, 04:52:11 pm »

Think about it..she MIGHT become President..It's funny to read stories like this, but if she really was to become President..God help us

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #266 on: November 25, 2010, 05:24:58 pm »
I find stuff like this

her grasp of rudimentary facts and concepts was minimal. Palin couldn't explain why North and South Korea were separate nations. She didn't know what the Fed did. Asked who attacked America on 9/11, she suggested several times that it was Saddam Hussain. And asked to identify the enemy that her son would be fighting in Iraq, she drew a blank.

and this
Aside from the North Korea mistake, Palin's full response to the question was foreign policy boilerplate: stand by South Korea and try to put pressure on China. Hardly maverick stuff – and almost certainly what the White House is already doing.

to be much more troubling than the slip of North as opposed to South Korea.  People make slip of the tongue mistakes like that all time.  I doubt that she actually thinks we are allies with Kim Jung Il.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #267 on: November 25, 2010, 06:00:56 pm »
Her singular attribute is the fact that the GOP seems incapable of producing a credible candidate to run for the Presidency.

As soon as one appears, she will disappear back to the obscurity of fringe politics, and hopefully, hard-core pornography.   
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline cathy-lfc-taff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: November 25, 2010, 09:13:54 pm »
She absolutley terrifies me, as does the whole Republican bandwagon.
I wish my balls were as big as Dirk's.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #269 on: November 26, 2010, 02:21:17 am »
When asked about the situation in Korea she responded with "of course we have to stay alongside our North Korean allies".  When told our allies are South Korea she replied "umm yeah".

And she was nearly vice president of the united states! :D
It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: November 26, 2010, 02:27:13 am »
And she was nearly vice president of the united states! :D

its not like this would be some crazy new era in American history.

We have Joe Biden now, we just had W, we had Dan Quayle FFS.

http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Dan_Quayle/

USA: Where our 'leaders' have been saying stupid shit for decades.

Offline jerseyhoya

• Would love to get some of that Cock money
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: November 26, 2010, 02:34:43 am »
I liked her monstrously bitchy Facebook post in response pointing out all the dumb crap Obama has said. I wish she could just say she will never for President. Then I could like her.

A Thanksgiving Message To All 57 States

Offline mccred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: November 30, 2010, 08:42:38 pm »

There is gaffs and there is fucking gaffs. This one is fucking frightening. How can someone who has reached her position in politics, come out with that fucking statement?
Think I'm right in saying that if John McCann had won the election with Obama, she'd be vice president  of the good ole U.S. of A!!! Fucking amazing!
Don't Ever,Ever Buy The S*n. Fucking Tory Scum.

FUCK OFF PUTIN!

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #273 on: December 6, 2010, 12:32:16 pm »
Sarah Palin is wrong about John F. Kennedy, religion and politics

By Kathleen Kennedy Townsend
Friday, December 3, 2010

Sarah Palin has found a new opponent to debate: John F. Kennedy.

In her new book, "America by Heart," Palin objects to my uncle's famous 1960 speech to the Greater Houston Ministerial Association, in which he challenged the ministers - and the country - to judge him, a Catholic presidential candidate, by his views rather than his faith. "Contrary to common newspaper usage, I am not the Catholic candidate for president," Kennedy said. "I am the Democratic Party's candidate for president who happens also to be a Catholic."

Palin writes that when she was growing up, she was taught that Kennedy's speech had "succeeded in the best possible way: It reconciled public service and religion without compromising either." Now, however, she says she has revisited the speech and changed her mind. She finds it "defensive . . . in tone and content" and is upset that Kennedy, rather than presenting a reconciliation of his private faith and his public role, had instead offered an "unequivocal divorce of the two."

Palin's argument seems to challenge a great American tradition, enshrined in the Constitution, stipulating that there be no religious test for public office. A careful reading of her book leads me to conclude that Palin wishes for precisely such a test. And she seems to think that she, and those who think like her, are qualified to judge who would pass and who would not.

If there is no religious test, then there is no need for a candidate's religious affiliation to be "reconciled." My uncle urged that religion be private, removed from politics, because he feared that making faith an arena for public contention would lead American politics into ill-disguised religious warfare, with candidates tempted to use faith to manipulate voters and demean their opponents.

Kennedy cited Thomas Jefferson to argue that, as part of the American tradition, it was essential to keep any semblance of a religious test out of the political realm. Best to judge candidates on their public records, their positions on war and peace, jobs, poverty, and health care. No one, Kennedy pointed out, asked those who died at the Alamo which church they belonged to.

But Palin insists on evaluating and acting as an authority on candidates' faith. She faults Kennedy for not "telling the country how his faith had enriched him." With that line, she proceeds down a path fraught with danger - precisely the path my uncle warned against when he said that a president's religious views should be "neither imposed by him upon the nation or imposed by the nation upon him as a condition to holding that office."

After all, a candidate's faith will matter most to those who believe that they have the right to serve as arbiters of that faith. Is it worthy? Is it deep? Is it reflected in a certain ideology?

Palin further criticizes Kennedy because, "rather than spelling out how faith groups had provided life-changing services and education to millions of Americans, he repeatedly objected to any government assistance to religious schools." She does not seem to appreciate that Kennedy was courageous in arguing that government funds should not be used in parochial schools, despite the temptation to please his constituents. Many Catholics would have liked the money. But he wisely thought that the use of public dollars in places where nuns explicitly proselytized would be unconstitutional. Tax money should not be used to persuade someone to join a religion.

As a contrast to Kennedy's speech, Palin cites former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney's remarks during the 2008 Republican primary campaign, in which he spoke publicly of "how my own faith would inform my presidency, if I were elected." After paying lip service to the separation of church and state, Romney condemned unnamed enemies "intent on establishing a new religion in America - the religion of secularism."

"There is one fundamental question about which I am often asked," Romney said. "What do I believe about Jesus Christ?" Romney, of course, is a Mormon. He answered the question, proclaiming that "Jesus Christ is the son of God."

Palin praises Romney for delivering a "thoughtful speech that eloquently and correctly described the role of faith in American public life." But if there should be no religious test in politics, then why should a candidate feel compelled to respond to misplaced questions about his belief in Jesus?

When George Romney, Mitt Romney's father, was a presidential candidate in 1968, he felt no such compulsion. Respect for the Constitution and the founders' belief in the separation of church and state suggests that those kinds of questions should not play a role in political campaigns.

Palin contends that Kennedy sought to "run away from religion." The truth is that my uncle knew quite well that what made America so special was its revolutionary assertion of freedom of religion. No nation on Earth had ever framed in law that faith should be of no interest to government officials. For centuries, European authorities had murdered and tortured those whose religious beliefs differed from their own.

To demand that citizens display their religious beliefs attacks the very foundation of our nation and undermines the precise reason that America is exceptional.

Palin's book makes clear just how dangerous her proposed path can be. Not only does she want people to reveal their beliefs, but she wants to sit in judgment of them if their views don't match her own. For instance, she criticizes Rep. Nancy Pelosi (Calif.), a Democrat and a faithful Catholic, for "talking the (God) talk but not walking the walk."

Who is Palin to say what God's "walk" is? Who anointed her our grand inquisitor?

This is a woman who also praises Abraham Lincoln's Second Inaugural, even though Lincoln explicitly declared, "But let us judge not that we not be judged." The problem for those setting up a free-floating tribunal to evaluate faith is that, contrary to Lincoln, they are installing themselves as judges who can look into others' souls and assess their worthiness.

Kennedy did not and would not do that, but not because he was indifferent to faith. In fact, unlike Romney or Palin, in fealty to both his faith and the Constitution, he promised on that day in Houston that he would resign if his religion ever interfered with his duty as president.

My uncle was a man who had his faith tested. His brother and brother-in-law were killed in World War II, and his sister died in a plane crash soon after the war. He suffered from painful injuries inflicted during his Navy service when his PT boat was cut in two by a Japanese destroyer. His God did not make life easy but did require a commitment to justice.

America's first and only Catholic president referred to God three times in his inaugural address and invoked the Bible's command to care for poor and the sick. Later in his presidency, he said, unequivocally, about civil rights: "We are confronted primarily with a moral issue. It is as old as the Scriptures and is as clear as the American Constitution."

Faith runs as a deep current through my family. Faith inspired my uncles' and my father's dedication to justice. My father, Robert F. Kennedy, on returning from apartheid-era South Africa in 1966, wrote a magazine article titled "Suppose God Is Black." And my uncle Teddy fought for health care for all Americans, even if in her book Palin presumes to judge that he took positions "directly at odds with his Catholic faith."

Teddy Kennedy believed that his stands were at one with his faith. He did disagree with the Roman Catholic hierarchy at times. But as we have seen, the hierarchy's positions can change, and in our church, we have an obligation to help bring about those changes. That may not be Palin's theology, but the glory of America is its support for those who would disagree - even on the most difficult and personal matters, such as religion.

John F. Kennedy knew that tearing down the wall separating church and state would tempt us toward self-righteousness and contempt for others. That is one reason he delivered his Houston speech.

Palin, for her part, argues that "morality itself cannot be sustained without the support of religious beliefs." That statement amounts to a wholesale attack on countless Americans, and no study or reasonable argument I have seen or heard would support such a blanket condemnation. For a person who claims to admire Lincoln, Palin curiously ignores his injunction that Americans, even those engaged in a Civil War, show "malice toward none, with charity for all."

Palin fails to understand the genius of our nation. The United States is one of the most vibrant religious countries on Earth precisely because of its religious freedom. When power and faith are entwined, faith loses. Power tends to obfuscate, corrupt and focus on temporal rather than eternal purposes.

Somehow Palin misses this. Perhaps she didn't read the full Houston speech; she certainly doesn't know it by heart. Or she may be appealing to a religious right that really seeks secular power. I don't know.

I am certain, however, that no American political leader should cavalierly - or out of political calculation - dismiss the hard-won ideal of religious freedom that is among our country's greatest gifts to the world. As John F. Kennedy said in Houston, that is the "kind of America I believe in."

source

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #274 on: December 6, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »

Think about it..she MIGHT become President..It's funny to read stories like this, but if she really was to become President..God help us

Yes we can joke all we like but this sort of stuff is frightening.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline JoeTwerp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: December 6, 2010, 02:47:17 pm »
Sarah Palin is wrong about John F. Kennedy, religion and politics

now THAT is something worth bashing her about.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 6, 2010, 03:34:59 pm »
She's no John F Kennedy.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #277 on: December 6, 2010, 03:56:02 pm »
She's no John F Kennedy.

She's not even a Dan Quayle.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline El Campeador

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: December 6, 2010, 04:06:54 pm »
She's not even a Dan Quayle.

Finn.

What the fuck is up with your avatar?

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #279 on: December 6, 2010, 04:08:29 pm »
Finn.

What the fuck is up with your avatar?

Seeing as how nobody visits the News and Current Affairs board...

I play a Stephen Colbertesque persona in which I am a rabid Hodgsonite and point out the flaws in his defender's arguments by whole heartedly supporting them.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.