Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 251544 times)

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Re: Cancer
« Reply #1600 on: March 11, 2013, 08:28:44 pm »
Congrats Johnno!!! :wellin

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #1601 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:22 pm »

For Fucks sake!! That's not right... :sad

Thoughts are with you mate. Stay strong and remember to get things off your chest so you can support your mam in her fight. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent to someone completely outside your daily life.

YNWA!

Best wishes mate

Thank you, much appreciated.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
« Reply #1602 on: March 11, 2013, 10:23:22 pm »
My thoughts are with you all who are battling cancer or have family battling it or lost family to it since the last time I posted in the thread. I am so sorry  :'( If you have the time, please share a thought for my lad, he is entering his third round of chemo  :'(

@ Johnno
Congrats  :wellin

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #1603 on: March 12, 2013, 06:41:28 am »
Thanks to Bennekov and to loozy - sorry to hear about your lad mate. It must be tough going at times for all the family.

I pray his treatment gets him - and all who are battling the bastard thing - through this shite period in their lives.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1604 on: March 12, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »
My thoughts are with you all who are battling cancer or have family battling it or lost family to it since the last time I posted in the thread. I am so sorry  :'( If you have the time, please share a thought for my lad, he is entering his third round of chemo  :'(

Thoughts are with your lad and family mate.
G'Day Lid - Official Scouse rep of the OCB Down Under.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1605 on: March 12, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »
Thoughts are with your lad and family mate.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1606 on: March 12, 2013, 07:06:41 pm »
Thanks for the well wishes  :) Used the wrong word, though, I meant my pupil not my son. Sorry about the confusion. Seeing as I have been his teacher since he was ten, seven years now, I am quite attached to him  :'(

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1607 on: March 13, 2013, 08:02:15 am »
Sentiments still the same mate. Good luck to the lad.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline BSBW

• Will take anyone one on to maintain the integrity and traditions of the 70's and 80's Road End
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1608 on: March 13, 2013, 08:44:54 am »
Thanks for the well wishes  :) Used the wrong word, though, I meant my pupil not my son. Sorry about the confusion. Seeing as I have been his teacher since he was ten, seven years now, I am quite attached to him  :'(

I'm sure you and the school are all supporting the lad, please ensure that support continues throughout his treatment and subsequent recovery. Although it may not seem like it to you, it really is a big help to the family and in particular the child being treated. Although they may not show it, the child, along with the family, will be scared and at times feel isolated. It really is reassuring to know that people "on the outside" are concerned, even if it's just a smile and note to let them know you are thinking of them during this devastating period. All the kids I know that been through treatment really got a massive boost when receiving something from their school, it made them feel special and kept them in touch with their part of the world that their parents don't really control.   

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #1609 on: March 13, 2013, 08:51:41 am »
Just popping in to support and commiserate with those who are going through difficult times.  I don't like how it gets bandied about generally but here's where YNWA is actually a worthwhile thing to say and hear.  All the best.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1610 on: March 13, 2013, 04:41:39 pm »
@ Johnno
Cheers :)

@ BSBW
He appreciates the support, showed him a print-out of this thread and he now thinks that Liverpool-fabd aren't half-bad (he's a United-supporter himself when it comes to the PL but his heart belongs to Real (they have he who fannies about and dives around & Özil and he used to be convinced that the only thing good thing coming from Liverpool was Xabi) and he says Thank You. He's been struggling with cancer for the last couple of years and we all hope that he makes it through this round of chemo. I try to help as much as possible and my class is doing an annual fund-raising thing to help with the costs and rause awareness.

Offline Elli

• kelly without the k, and the y replaced with an i
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1611 on: March 13, 2013, 10:45:13 pm »
I'm sure you and the school are all supporting the lad, please ensure that support continues throughout his treatment and subsequent recovery. Although it may not seem like it to you, it really is a big help to the family and in particular the child being treated. Although they may not show it, the child, along with the family, will be scared and at times feel isolated. It really is reassuring to know that people "on the outside" are concerned, even if it's just a smile and note to let them know you are thinking of them during this devastating period. All the kids I know that been through treatment really got a massive boost when receiving something from their school, it made them feel special and kept them in touch with their part of the world that their parents don't really control.   

I'd just like to echo this (while making it clear I have never had cancer and don't wish to intrude) - I had to take about 6 weeks out of school following an accident when I was in Year 9 (age 14) and I kept all the letters and cards from my friends, teachers etc. I don't often look at them, I must say, but they were a great thing to have. One friend in particular wrote me the most amazing updates on all the scandal, gossip and teachers' wrongdoings, so I was never out of the loop. This was in the long lost days before facebook and things, and it was much appreciated. Plus, they're absolutely hilarious with the perspective of an adult looking back on just how ridiculous it was to be a girl in mid-teens drama queen phase ;D

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1612 on: March 13, 2013, 11:38:30 pm »
For what it's worth, sending my love and best wishes to all of you in here who have been affected in one way or another by this absolute twat of a disease.

And Johnno, you're a fantastic fella so congratulations to you, Mrs Johnno, your daughter and the new little addition. Little rays of sunshine like that are far too rare in this thread.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1613 on: March 14, 2013, 08:06:51 am »
No - you're getting me mixed up with me brother Mike in Oz - he's a good lad. I've turned into a grumpy aul get! ;D ;D

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1614 on: March 14, 2013, 08:14:51 am »
I'd just like to echo this (while making it clear I have never had cancer and don't wish to intrude) - I had to take about 6 weeks out of school following an accident when I was in Year 9 (age 14) and I kept all the letters and cards from my friends, teachers etc. I don't often look at them, I must say, but they were a great thing to have. One friend in particular wrote me the most amazing updates on all the scandal, gossip and teachers' wrongdoings, so I was never out of the loop. This was in the long lost days before facebook and things, and it was much appreciated. Plus, they're absolutely hilarious with the perspective of an adult looking back on just how ridiculous it was to be a girl in mid-teens drama queen phase ;D

My pupils bought him Man Utd & Real- kits and wrote messages all over them  ;D I wrote YNWA on the Man Utd one and Mes que un clase on the Real- one  ;D Think the lad's got more kits from us than from his family  :lickin

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1615 on: March 14, 2013, 08:19:57 am »
Hope you wrote it in red on the United shirt loozy lad .  .  .   ::) ::) ::)

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1616 on: March 14, 2013, 08:37:54 am »
Yup, I did since we bought him the away-kit  ;D

And before you roll your eyes because I am being mean to my suffering pupil, we have this thing going on, the two of us (actually me and five of the pupils in total who support Man Utd and Chelsea) and tend to tease each other about the rivalry and everything; we have an English lesson on Monday where we talk about the weekend's footie (and yes, the girls are involved, too, since the majority watch BuLi and EPL and Primera). He knows how I mean it and YNWA is also quite fitting as he has not walked alone since his diagnosis.

Hate to correct you, but I am a lass, not a lad  :)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1617 on: March 14, 2013, 09:30:10 am »
Well lady correct away! I offer my unreserved apologies for assuming! ;D ;D

You know the saying I'm sure - when anyone assumes anything it makes an ass out of you and me.  :P :P

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1618 on: March 14, 2013, 09:34:08 am »
I love that saying, btw, never fails to make me grin  ;D

Maybe I should put it into my signature or custom title...  ;D

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1619 on: March 14, 2013, 09:44:29 am »
Glad to have helped bring a smile to your day!

Great to know the young fella is in such good hands.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1620 on: March 14, 2013, 09:49:13 am »
A smile is always a good thing  :)

We try to help as much as possible; the majority of my kids have been through this since the beginning and I applaud them for not giving up on him but staying in contact with him.

Offline BSBW

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born Scouse Born Wild
« Reply #1621 on: March 14, 2013, 01:33:30 pm »
Nice one Loozy  :-*

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #1622 on: March 14, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
I hoped I wouldn't have to participate actively in this thread, but.
My dad's just been diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. He's got three tumours, the two smaller ones are operable but the larger one further up is very large and probably there for the duration. He's been given two years maximum but needed to make some decisions. He refused Chemotherapy flat out, 5 days a week for who knows how long didn't appeal to him. An operation to try and remove them didn't seem to make a great deal of sense to him so he opted for a colostomy bag. His dancing days are over. His quote, not mine, so it's a bit of quality he's looking for and I wish him at least that in his remaining time.
He already has Leukaemia, stents, wobbly knees, hearing impairments and all the usual shit, but I must admit thinking about his situation and suffering makes me cry.
My dad, like everyone else's is a hero. He's having his first OP tomorrow and understandable he is nervous, as I am.

Eric I love you.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1623 on: March 15, 2013, 05:49:16 am »
Can only hope along with all of your family that he comes through the op with colours flying mate.

Best of luck Moby.

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1624 on: March 15, 2013, 06:17:35 am »
@ moby
Crossing my toes (has proven to be more successful than fingers) for your dad. All the best for the surgery, I hope, like Johnno said, that he makes it through.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1625 on: March 15, 2013, 11:04:20 pm »
Best of luck to your dad Moby! YNWA!

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1626 on: March 15, 2013, 11:15:06 pm »

He appreciates the support, showed him a print-out of this thread and he now thinks that Liverpool-fabd aren't half-bad (he's a United-supporter himself when it comes to the PL but his heart belongs to Real (they have he who fannies about and dives around & Özil and he used to be convinced that the only thing good thing coming from Liverpool was Xabi) and he says Thank You. He's been struggling with cancer for the last couple of years and we all hope that he makes it through this round of chemo. I try to help as much as possible and my class is doing an annual fund-raising thing to help with the costs and rause awareness.

Özil! The boy has good taste though this Utd malarkey must be an aberration ;) I'd say I was more of a Barcelona fan but I'm quite happy to watch Real do well because of Özil and Alonso.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for him and sending lots of positive and healing vibes - chemo can be tough, so I hope he's still managing to enjoy life.

I'm sick to my stomach to hear of how this terrible killer rips lives and families apart. Why is it so?
I am going to post the happy news that my wife and I have become grandparents for the 8th time but for the FIRST time we have a grandaughter. She is so beautiful and looks so like her mother when she was born 33 years ago. In the midst of so much sadness I hope our news lifts you all.

May the world hopefully soon see an end to the pain and misery cancer brings. Best wishes and prayers sent to all.

Great, great news Johnno - thanks for sharing. Hope she's doing well, she sure has a great granddad to look up to :)

I hoped I wouldn't have to participate actively in this thread, but.
My dad's just been diagnosed with Bowel Cancer. He's got three tumours, the two smaller ones are operable but the larger one further up is very large and probably there for the duration. He's been given two years maximum but needed to make some decisions. He refused Chemotherapy flat out, 5 days a week for who knows how long didn't appeal to him. An operation to try and remove them didn't seem to make a great deal of sense to him so he opted for a colostomy bag. His dancing days are over. His quote, not mine, so it's a bit of quality he's looking for and I wish him at least that in his remaining time.
He already has Leukaemia, stents, wobbly knees, hearing impairments and all the usual shit, but I must admit thinking about his situation and suffering makes me cry.
My dad, like everyone else's is a hero. He's having his first OP tomorrow and understandable he is nervous, as I am.

Eric I love you.

This is heartbreaking moby, my thoughts are with you and your family. Sending you lots of positive vibes and keeping everything firmly crossed.

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1627 on: March 15, 2013, 11:20:29 pm »
Fucks sake Moby, heartbreaking stuff. The only good thing I can say is that your dad has got someone in his corner who clearly loves him as much as you do. Thoughts are with you mate.
Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline mobydick

• Comes in any flavour
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thatcherite refugee
« Reply #1628 on: March 23, 2013, 04:38:46 pm »
Well my dad's had his operations. They didn't like the look of him after the first and after waiting to see if there would be any improvement and deciding there wasn't they whipped him down the the operating theatre for a second go. He was very uncomfortable and confused as to where he was after the first Op and he was complaining about stomach pains. The doc said it's to be expected and to a certain extent he's right but my old man was never a moaner so I knew it must be bad. Anyway after the second Op he seems much better. It appears there was a major blockage, ( I don't know if this was a bit of a mess-up, so I'll give the docs the benefit of the doubt) and after it was cleared it was all systems go. He'll not be on solids for about a week but after that, all being well he can go home.
I'm a bit wary of doctors these days, my mother went through hell when she was in a bad way with the accompanying ailments to Parkinson's. It seemed to us that they didn't quite know what to do next when for example she lost all her teeth due to some bright spark radiating her gums, mouth and throat, to try and eradicate her excessive saliva. The Doctor treating her Parkinson's went ballistic and lectured his staff about quality of life and not seeing the trees for the woods. I'm not saying it will always be like that and i know they are doing their best but it just breaks your heart when things might have been made a little easier.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1629 on: March 23, 2013, 11:20:18 pm »
Well my dad's had his operations. They didn't like the look of him after the first and after waiting to see if there would be any improvement and deciding there wasn't they whipped him down the the operating theatre for a second go. He was very uncomfortable and confused as to where he was after the first Op and he was complaining about stomach pains. The doc said it's to be expected and to a certain extent he's right but my old man was never a moaner so I knew it must be bad. Anyway after the second Op he seems much better. It appears there was a major blockage, ( I don't know if this was a bit of a mess-up, so I'll give the docs the benefit of the doubt) and after it was cleared it was all systems go. He'll not be on solids for about a week but after that, all being well he can go home.
I'm a bit wary of doctors these days, my mother went through hell when she was in a bad way with the accompanying ailments to Parkinson's. It seemed to us that they didn't quite know what to do next when for example she lost all her teeth due to some bright spark radiating her gums, mouth and throat, to try and eradicate her excessive saliva. The Doctor treating her Parkinson's went ballistic and lectured his staff about quality of life and not seeing the trees for the woods. I'm not saying it will always be like that and i know they are doing their best but it just breaks your heart when things might have been made a little easier.

Fingers firmly crossed for your Dad. Hope he can go home soon :)

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1630 on: March 28, 2013, 01:24:24 am »

Good luck to him mate.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1631 on: March 28, 2013, 06:06:31 am »
Had an e-mail from my brother Mike in Oz - who's had a prostate cancer scare over these last 3 months. Thank God the results of his biopsy show no big C! Some tricky but minor surgery will sort the peeing problem.

Sometimes the news is not ALWAYS the worst.

Best of good wishes to anyone who has friends or family in the same scary situation.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #1632 on: March 28, 2013, 04:42:55 pm »
Promising news in the fight against cancer.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/international/every_cancer_kills_tumor_them_kind_L9lppJmy9gCoS848cSzqbP

One drug to rule them all: Researchers find treatment that kills every kind of cancer tumor

By MICHAEL BLAUSTEIN
    Last Updated: 10:48 AM, March 27, 2013
    Posted: 10:46 AM, March 27, 2013

Researchers might have found the Holy Grail in the war against cancer, a miracle drug that has killed every kind of cancer tumor it has come in contact with.

The drug works by blocking a protein called CD47 that is essentially a "do not eat" signal to the body's immune system, according to Science Magazine.

This protein is produced in healthy blood cells but researchers at Stanford University found that cancer cells produced an inordinate amount of the protein thus tricking the immune system into not destroying the harmful cells.

With this observation in mind, the researchers built an antibody that blocked cancer's CD47 so that the body's immune system attacked the dangerous cells.

So far, researchers have used the antibody in mice with human breast, ovary, colon, bladder, brain, liver and prostate tumors transplanted into them. In each of the cases the antibody forced the mice's immune system to kill the cancer cells.

"We showed that even after the tumor has taken hold, the antibody can either cure the tumor or slow its growth and prevent metastasis," said biologist Irving Weissman of the Stanford University School of Medicine in Palo Alto, California.

One side effect of the treatment was that healthy cells were subjected to short-term attacks by the mice's immune system, but the effect was nothing in comparison to the damage done to the cancer cells.

Weissman's group recently received a $20 million dollar grant to move their research from mouse to human safety testing.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Manix

• Dogged Campaigner!
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liver Bird upon my chest
« Reply #1633 on: March 28, 2013, 05:10:04 pm »
Have just had my annual visit to my oncologist this afternoon and after 6 years of being clear and no return of the dreaded cancer, he told me this was my final appointment and he doesn't want to see me anymore  :wellin But if I have any worries I can just go along to the clinic anytime...

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1634 on: March 28, 2013, 06:02:53 pm »
Had an e-mail from my brother Mike in Oz - who's had a prostate cancer scare over these last 3 months. Thank God the results of his biopsy show no big C! Some tricky but minor surgery will sort the peeing problem.

Sometimes the news is not ALWAYS the worst.

Best of good wishes to anyone who has friends or family in the same scary situation.

Great news, I shall raise a glass to this :)

Have just had my annual visit to my oncologist this afternoon and after 6 years of being clear and no return of the dreaded cancer, he told me this was my final appointment and he doesn't want to see me anymore  :wellin But if I have any worries I can just go along to the clinic anytime...

Brilliant, brilliant news, I'm so chuffed for you. I was discharged last year but my annual check-up is due. Anyway, I remember that feeling only too well. Here's to an extra special Easter for you :wave

Offline Manix

• Dogged Campaigner!
  • Anny Roader
  • The Liver Bird upon my chest
« Reply #1635 on: March 28, 2013, 06:10:34 pm »
Great news, I shall raise a glass to this :)

Brilliant, brilliant news, I'm so chuffed for you. I was discharged last year but my annual check-up is due. Anyway, I remember that feeling only too well. Here's to an extra special Easter for you :wave

Thank you

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1636 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:23 pm »

Just delighted to hear your news. Enjoy!! ;D ;D :wellin

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #1637 on: March 30, 2013, 09:39:12 am »
Love Ren & Stimpy

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #1638 on: April 14, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »
Goodbye Charlie. A friend, a red, my friend.

So glad to see you before you passed - but so sad to see you before you passed. My memories will always be Alaves in the final, 3 days away, such a laugh, the Dam was never drunk so much, crazy cars and we must be messen, in Hessen! 

Anfield is a lesser place without you mate.

All my love, you broken hearted friend, Jay.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1639 on: April 15, 2013, 10:29:50 am »
Sorry for your loss mate. Hope your friend didn't suffer too much or too long.