Author Topic: Cancer  (Read 251350 times)

Offline loozy

• Legacy Fan
  • Phil M's biggest female fan
Re: Cancer
« Reply #1560 on: February 20, 2013, 08:47:05 pm »

And talk to your Dad.  I do.

It really does help. I wrote letters to my grandparents for years.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1561 on: February 20, 2013, 08:59:04 pm »
Well seeing as you're only 26, I'd have thought that was not unremarkable behaviour for your age.  I respectfully suggest you judge yourself too harshly.  I certainly don't see you as an absolute mess.  Seeing your Dad die, especially in those circumstances, is a shattering emotional experience.  Cut yourself some slack love. 

And talk to your Dad.  I do.

Thanks Maggie. I still feel vulnerable though.

I try to. I do it more when I'm at his grave. Only been once in 6 weeks though which I hate.

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: February 21, 2013, 12:08:24 am »
Welshred, I dont know if i can be of help im no expert but ive been there anddone it too mate, i done a lot of stupid stuff after my dad died.Fel free to Pm if you ever fancy a chat.I dont know you but im certain your dad is one very proud man having you as his son.Never be afraid to tlkto him,i do it a lot.My dad had a favorite part of the garden i often go to and say hello to him and jus get stuff off my mind,it really does help.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline rusty-la

• Ch ch ch ch ch ch changes. Warning! Time-waster! Ironically, can't fucking count to save his life. And thinks BBC is Channel 4.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thin Strawberry Duke
« Reply #1563 on: February 21, 2013, 12:16:22 am »
Monday was 6 months since my dad passed away. It's gone so quickly but so slowly at the same time. I miss you so much Dad!

Three years for me. My Fathers passing was probably the reason I joined RAWK.

It's not easy Welsh, but feel free to share the burden in here if it helps, we're all on the same side.  Good luck.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #1564 on: February 21, 2013, 09:46:49 am »
This young lady has just had her 16th birthday. As a present she received the news that her second follow up MRI scan was all clear. Her attitude to life is a total inspiration.

More good news yesterday - another clear scan. They will now reduce to four-monthly scans.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
« Reply #1565 on: February 21, 2013, 09:48:40 am »
10/10! Excellent news - keep up the good work young lady!!!!
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #1566 on: February 21, 2013, 11:49:57 am »
3 weeks now since it took my dad. Feels like months somehow. Surrounded myself with friends which has been a big help. Myself and my sisters are dealing with it in different ways. I have thrown myself into work and am just finishing sorting all the posthumous details. Stopped drinking when he started to get really bad around new year. Not missing the drink at all. The whole experience has given me a fresh outlook on life. Want to achieve all the things i spoke about to him before he went. I may be masking the pain by busying myself, but at the moment it is working.
Welshred - I am sure your dad would understand the way you are dealing with it and the way you are feeling. Take up the offers from people on here about talking (me included), Talking to someone you dont know in person can be a massive help. I spoke to someone i had only met once in person online almost nightly. It somehow feels easier to open up and not feel as judged. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, as people have said, you are young, and have just been through one of the most painful experiences anyone can have in life.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: February 21, 2013, 12:14:42 pm »
Your post had me both sad and uplifted in equal measures mate. Some great and very sensible words of advice in there.
Very sorry for your loss but very happy with the way your life sounds like it's shaping.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 12:31:12 pm by Johnnowhite »
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
« Reply #1568 on: February 21, 2013, 12:20:36 pm »
More good news yesterday - another clear scan. They will now reduce to four-monthly scans.

This made my day! Excellent!!! Thanks for posting, Imp! :thumbup

I've been thinking a bit lately. Since my dad passed 8 years ago because of cancer I haven't really let myself cry. I've felt sorrow, pain and been through the classic reaction pattern that comes with losing someone close to you but I've never allowed myself to just let go and have a good cry. My dad never did either and that's probably why I don't allow myself to do it.

Once a month I go to a guy who uses a special Chinese massage technique to keep my lower back in good condition. He's also a healer and despite I've been going for the better part of 4 years we've never really talked about the spiritual side of things. Yesterday however he asked me flat out when the last I cried was and I had to tell him I couldn't remember. He looked at me and asked but you did cry when your dad died, right? I remember crying once but that's about it. He then told me that if I wanted to be able to really love myself and for that matter let my wife and kids get close to me I needed to start crying to get all the locked up emotions out of my system. I've been thinking about what he said and I can see it makes sense but I find it REALLY hard to accept that I "have" to cry to get it out. Really hard!

Reading some of the posts on this page I've realised I better get started. I've decided I'll sit down with the missus and my daughter and watch those Extreme Makeover programs from USA. I've found they are able to make me really emotional and even get a tear in my eyes from time to time but I've never cried over them. Perhaps now is the time to start learning how to cry...

Thank you all for sharing these rather personal things in here. I hate it when I see this thread pop in when I press the "New replies" button but I love the compassion shown in here.

To all who those affected in some way by this terrible disease my thoughts are with you.

Thomas

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1569 on: February 21, 2013, 12:34:42 pm »
Again, another lovely human story. Fantastic Thomas - get it sorted and start the tears flowing.

If yer stuck for summat to start the tears off, go and watch Crewe's next home match. ::) ::)

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #1570 on: February 21, 2013, 02:53:51 pm »
Is great to hear the successful stories. My uncle is terminal now and looking about the same as my dad did 6 weeks ago. They lived entirely different lives, but i think my uncle took my dads death worse than most. Being that his cancer is almost identical it must be super tough. He was too weak to make the funeral also which has got to him. One of my mates did have surgery over Christmas to remove part of his bowel and things are looking good for him now. Hoping for another success story there.

Your post had me both sad and uplifted in equal measures mate. Some great and very sensible words of advice in there.
Very sorry for your loss but very happy with the way your life sounds like it's shaping.
Thanks mate. I know my dad would hate the idea of me hurting. Moving along may seem insensitive to some, but i know that dad would want that, an that makes me comfortable.

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #1571 on: February 21, 2013, 02:56:43 pm »
This made my day! Excellent!!! Thanks for posting, Imp! :thumbup

I've been thinking a bit lately. Since my dad passed 8 years ago because of cancer I haven't really let myself cry. I've felt sorrow, pain and been through the classic reaction pattern that comes with losing someone close to you but I've never allowed myself to just let go and have a good cry. My dad never did either and that's probably why I don't allow myself to do it.

Once a month I go to a guy who uses a special Chinese massage technique to keep my lower back in good condition. He's also a healer and despite I've been going for the better part of 4 years we've never really talked about the spiritual side of things. Yesterday however he asked me flat out when the last I cried was and I had to tell him I couldn't remember. He looked at me and asked but you did cry when your dad died, right? I remember crying once but that's about it. He then told me that if I wanted to be able to really love myself and for that matter let my wife and kids get close to me I needed to start crying to get all the locked up emotions out of my system. I've been thinking about what he said and I can see it makes sense but I find it REALLY hard to accept that I "have" to cry to get it out. Really hard!

Reading some of the posts on this page I've realised I better get started. I've decided I'll sit down with the missus and my daughter and watch those Extreme Makeover programs from USA. I've found they are able to make me really emotional and even get a tear in my eyes from time to time but I've never cried over them. Perhaps now is the time to start learning how to cry...

Thank you all for sharing these rather personal things in here. I hate it when I see this thread pop in when I press the "New replies" button but I love the compassion shown in here.

To all who those affected in some way by this terrible disease my thoughts are with you.

Thomas
I havent really cried bar the moment he went and the end of the funeral. I know it is a release, but i cant seem to just let the tears flow like others. I do feel quite serene at the moment though. Has been a tough few years, so feels like a weight has lifted in that aspect.

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1572 on: February 21, 2013, 08:58:11 pm »
Again, another lovely human story. Fantastic Thomas - get it sorted and start the tears flowing.

If yer stuck for summat to start the tears off, go and watch Crewe's next home match. ::) ::)

To be honest watching Liverpool games at times gets me close to crying, Johnno... ;)

I havent really cried bar the moment he went and the end of the funeral. I know it is a release, but i cant seem to just let the tears flow like others. I do feel quite serene at the moment though. Has been a tough few years, so feels like a weight has lifted in that aspect.

I can really relate to this, Kit.

It's almost surreal your uncle is fighting the same thing as your dad. I really feel for you mate. As you've mentioned yourself further up this page if you need to rant/vent to someone please feel free to PM me at anytime mate.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: February 21, 2013, 11:12:25 pm »
Good luck fella - battle the bastard thing to a standstill - and win!

Doing my best, even though I'm a lass... ;) Thanks for the encouragement though, sometimes it's needed

Hope your recovery will continue well. I'll send you some patience if that helps  :)

My pupil is a boy, 17 years old, passionate and talented footie player, never smoked a day in his life, healthy as a fiddle...  :-\

Thanks loozy :wave Much patience needed. Just shows how random this illness is - sending lots of positive vibes his way.

Great news! Thanks for sharing, rooting for her all the way :)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: February 21, 2013, 11:21:19 pm »
Welshred, you need to be kinder to yourself. Some good advice given to you by others so I won't add much. I find that it sometimes help to think about what I would say if a friend was in my situation - I'm quite harsh on myself so this helps me get a better perspective. Be good to yourself, wish you all the best.

Thomas - Extreme Makeover! I used to watch that during chemo. They even had back-to-back episodes at the weekend, which meant that I spent most of those in tears. I'm the opposite of you - I cry very easily, and I think that's partly down to what the treatment has done to my hormones. I hope EM helps you move on and find a better place to live your life. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts :)

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1575 on: February 21, 2013, 11:28:51 pm »
3 weeks now since it took my dad. Feels like months somehow. Surrounded myself with friends which has been a big help. Myself and my sisters are dealing with it in different ways. I have thrown myself into work and am just finishing sorting all the posthumous details. Stopped drinking when he started to get really bad around new year. Not missing the drink at all. The whole experience has given me a fresh outlook on life. Want to achieve all the things i spoke about to him before he went. I may be masking the pain by busying myself, but at the moment it is working.
Welshred - I am sure your dad would understand the way you are dealing with it and the way you are feeling. Take up the offers from people on here about talking (me included), Talking to someone you dont know in person can be a massive help. I spoke to someone i had only met once in person online almost nightly. It somehow feels easier to open up and not feel as judged. Try not to beat yourself up about it too much, as people have said, you are young, and have just been through one of the most painful experiences anyone can have in life.

So sorry to hear about your loss, kitster. There's nothing wrong with keeping busy - it just a way of coping when the pain is still so raw. I know it's a cliché but there's no right or wrong way to do things - you do what's right for you at a particular time. It's good that you've got something to focus on, and I wish you every success in your endeavours.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1576 on: February 22, 2013, 12:09:13 am »
Thomas - Extreme Makeover! I used to watch that during chemo. They even had back-to-back episodes at the weekend, which meant that I spent most of those in tears. I'm the opposite of you - I cry very easily, and I think that's partly down to what the treatment has done to my hormones. I hope EM helps you move on and find a better place to live your life. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts :)

Thanks so much...  :-*

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: February 22, 2013, 10:52:11 am »
Thanks so much...  :-*

:wave  :-*

Waiting to hear from my cousin as my uncle is getting the results of his latest scans today. Stressful times.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1578 on: February 23, 2013, 10:36:02 am »
I havent really cried bar the moment he went and the end of the funeral.

I cry a lot. I am now. I didn't cry at his funeral though and I feel guilty about that.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: February 23, 2013, 02:30:58 pm »
I cry a lot. I am now. I didn't cry at his funeral though and I feel guilty about that.

I didn't cry at my dad's funeral. My younger brother was crying so much I seriously was afraid he would drop the coffin on the way out to the hearse. I guess I stayed strong for a long time for him and my mom. My mom wasn't back to her usual self until 5 years after dad had died. Weird how different we react to the same situation us humans...

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1580 on: February 24, 2013, 06:56:48 pm »
I didn't cry at my dad's funeral. My younger brother was crying so much I seriously was afraid he would drop the coffin on the way out to the hearse. I guess I stayed strong for a long time for him and my mom. My mom wasn't back to her usual self until 5 years after dad had died. Weird how different we react to the same situation us humans...

It is isn't it? I started crying on the M62 earlier today, but still feel it's good too sometimes.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1581 on: February 26, 2013, 11:30:42 pm »
Today has been such a relief!

My missus went to a dermatologist to have some birthmarks removed because they were irritating her in the pant line and the bra strap area. When she got there she asked the doc to have a look at a small sore she had on the side of her nose that hasn't been healing properly for appr. 2 months. The doc immediately focused on the sore and removed it plus quite a bit more tissue. To make sure if anything was there it was removed. She told my wife she couldn't categorically say it wasn't or was cancer but it certainly looked suspicious.

Last night was my wife then had to call the doc to get the test answers and luckily it was nothing! The last 2 weeks have been nothing but "what if's" flying around in our heads and to get the all clear was a huge relief for her (obviously) but for me as well. We've been so tired all day and I put that down to being able to relax properly for the first time in 2 weeks.

Anyways just wanted to share to good news... :)

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: February 27, 2013, 06:48:51 am »
Delighted to read the good news Ben!

Offline kitster

• RAWK Graphic Guru
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter - @kitsterart
    • Kitster Art
« Reply #1583 on: February 28, 2013, 03:09:44 pm »
Lost my uncle today. 4 weeks after my dad went from the same thing. Ruthless this year.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1584 on: February 28, 2013, 03:11:53 pm »
Lost my uncle today. 4 weeks after my dad went from the same thing. Ruthless this year.

Really sorry to hear that mate.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:03 pm »

I'm really sorry mate. :sad

As always you can PM me anytime you want if you want to. :)

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1586 on: February 28, 2013, 03:24:08 pm »

Sorry to hear that mate .

Don't look in this thread too often because it really is heartbreaking stuff .

Thoughts are with everyone .
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: February 28, 2013, 03:41:50 pm »
Kitster posted:- Lost my uncle today. 4 weeks after my dad went from the same thing. Ruthless this year.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry indeed to hear this on top of everything you've had this year. Thoughts sent to you and yours mate.

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: February 28, 2013, 03:50:02 pm »

Very sorry to hear this - thoughts are with you and your family.

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #1589 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:58 pm »
Lost a mate yesterday to this horrible disease, 20 years old he was.

Wasn't half a fighter and always managed to smile through everything put in his way. RIP Jamie x

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #1590 on: March 1, 2013, 01:10:25 am »

Sorry to hear that Kit. Stay strong mate YNWA
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline Bioluminescence

• Hidden Gem
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: March 1, 2013, 12:41:13 pm »

Wasn't half a fighter and always managed to smile through everything put in his way. RIP Jamie x

Sorry to hear about this but glad he managed to smile throughout it. RIP Jamie

Offline AriGold

• David James's stunt double
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hendo is boss.
« Reply #1592 on: March 6, 2013, 05:13:27 pm »

Brown? Yer I didn't know him mate but loads of people I know knew him. Horrible. Sorry for your loss.

A good mate of mines mum died last night because of it. He's only 23 like me, has a younger brother and sister too. Heartbroken for them, it's hit me proper hard.
DON'T BUY THE S*N!

Twitter... www.twitter.com/wickolfc

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #1593 on: March 6, 2013, 06:00:42 pm »
Deepest sympathy and condolences to those who lost loved ones to this vile disease. 
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline flw

• Famous Last Words
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • History is made so we never forget
« Reply #1594 on: March 6, 2013, 10:26:37 pm »
 In 1978 I was diagnosed with cancer of the womb. I was lucky it was contained in the womb and had not spread. Having a hysterectomy  saved my life.  It is a dreadful disease and takes so many lives unrelentless in its wake , young and old alike. My thoughts go out to all who have lost someone through this illness.
If you have faith, you have everything.
Without it  , you have nothing.

If you are blind, you cannot see, If you are deaf you cannot hear, but if you are dumb God help you

We are like grains of sand, one amongst millions ,  and like sand ...when you walk this earth we leave behind out footprints

Offline Dowling10

• Busted
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scousers rule the country.
« Reply #1595 on: March 7, 2013, 12:01:37 am »
Brown? Yer I didn't know him mate but loads of people I know knew him. Horrible. Sorry for your loss.

A good mate of mines mum died last night because of it. He's only 23 like me, has a younger brother and sister too. Heartbroken for them, it's hit me proper hard.

Yeah mate that's the one. I'm not surprised, he knew everyone somehow haha. He was a boss kid, still hasn't sunk in properly. Feel so sorry for his family. Going to give him a good sending off tomorrow though.

Sorry to hear that mate, life just isn't fair at times. RIP.

Offline Fighting Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • I wouldn't ride her into battle !!!
« Reply #1596 on: March 7, 2013, 09:55:15 pm »
Not long home from the hospital, just had it confirmed that my mam has lung cancer which has spread to her thyroid gland, PET scan being arranged now to discover the extent of it and what course of treatment she will require.

8 months after my mother in law lost her battle with this disease, here we are again.

Devastated but trying to keep positive for my families sake  :(

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1597 on: March 7, 2013, 09:57:46 pm »
Not long home from the hospital, just had it confirmed that my mam has lung cancer which has spread to her thyroid gland, PET scan being arranged now to discover the extent of it and what course of treatment she will require.

8 months after my mother in law lost her battle with this disease, here we are again.

Best wishes mate

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: March 7, 2013, 09:59:00 pm »

For Fucks sake!! That's not right... :sad

Thoughts are with you mate. Stay strong and remember to get things off your chest so you can support your mam in her fight. Feel free to PM me if you need to vent to someone completely outside your daily life.

YNWA!

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: March 9, 2013, 06:48:56 am »
I'm sick to my stomach to hear of how this terrible killer rips lives and families apart. Why is it so?
I am going to post the happy news that my wife and I have become grandparents for the 8th time but for the FIRST time we have a grandaughter. She is so beautiful and looks so like her mother when she was born 33 years ago. In the midst of so much sadness I hope our news lifts you all.

May the world hopefully soon see an end to the pain and misery cancer brings. Best wishes and prayers sent to all.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 06:37:21 am by Johnnowhite »