Author Topic: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)  (Read 179628 times)

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Re: The RAWK Gardening Thread. (All Questions Answered)
« Reply #1560 on: March 12, 2022, 05:36:37 pm »
They must have smelled tasty mate ☺️

They were outside for a good reason. :D

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1561 on: March 12, 2022, 05:37:59 pm »
They were outside for a good reason. :D

I did wonder mate.  Maybe hang them in a tree next time 😂

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1562 on: March 12, 2022, 06:32:38 pm »
Why get rid mate is it doing any damage or do you have kids or pets that you're worried it'll attack?

I'd love foxes in my garden especially ones that are chilled enough to lay under bushes.

Yes debs, there are minors in my household that are afraid of foxes and I'm worried about the coming spring/summer from a hygeine and safety perspective.

I'm reading about foxes not liking garlic and chilli pepper (expects a pun from Nick) odours. Anyone have experience using this technique?
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1563 on: March 12, 2022, 06:46:05 pm »
Yes debs, there are minors in my household that are afraid of foxes and I'm worried about the coming spring/summer from a hygeine and safety perspective.

I'm reading about foxes not liking garlic and chilli pepper (expects a pun from Nick) odours. Anyone have experience using this technique?

Understandable if you've got kids mate

I've not used it for foxes but yes you can do a mix of onions, garlic and chilli peppers to make a spray to deter rabbits so it's worth a try.

Is the garden fenced or open?

There's some good hints and tips here on how to deter them as well as the mixture to make to spray.

https://guides4homeowners.co.uk/pest-control/stop-foxes-coming-in-your-garden-fox-deterrents-repellents/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2022, 06:52:30 pm by reddebs »

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1564 on: March 12, 2022, 06:54:35 pm »
It's fully fenced. Blocking them won't work as there's a fair few foxes in the area and they use the alley behind to get in and out of gardens.
Just need to repel them somehow.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1565 on: March 12, 2022, 07:01:10 pm »
It's fully fenced. Blocking them won't work as there's a fair few foxes in the area and they use the alley behind to get in and out of gardens.
Just need to repel them somehow.

They're getting in somehow though so it's always worthwhile checking to see where and if you can prevent them.

The deterrents in that link I posted contains tips on what to do in the garden to stop them feeling comfortable, safe and downright cocky then hopefully it'll stop them returning.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1566 on: March 12, 2022, 08:06:33 pm »

Say goodbye to foxes and say hello to rats. Figure out which is the more hygenic to have around... ;D

Kids will be fine. As soon as you go out the back they scarper i bet. Clean up their shite and count yourself lucky they haven't started digging up your lawn yet

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1567 on: March 12, 2022, 11:29:33 pm »
I love this thread. But alas, our purported expert is selfishly on a weekend extravaganza, probably neglecting his body and certainly neglecting his garden.

I imagine the 4-year old weeds on his front path are thriving off the sugar from spilled Bacardi Breezers as we chat.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1568 on: March 13, 2022, 11:51:32 am »
Just checked on my begonia and dahlia tubers that have been stored in the utility all winter and they're already sprouting!

They're not meant to go outdoors until mid to late May when the frost won't get them 😯

These jobs are coming thick and fast now but I've not enough hours of decent weather each day to get them all done.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1569 on: March 13, 2022, 04:38:32 pm »
I love this thread. But alas, our purported expert is selfishly on a weekend extravaganza, probably neglecting his body and certainly neglecting his garden.

I imagine the 4-year old weeds on his front path are thriving off the sugar from spilled Bacardi Breezers as we chat.

He is in bits ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
  • We had Shankly and the Kop at Liverpool...
« Reply #1570 on: March 13, 2022, 08:08:03 pm »
Just checked on my begonia and dahlia tubers that have been stored in the utility all winter and they're already sprouting!

They're not meant to go outdoors until mid to late May when the frost won't get them 😯

These jobs are coming thick and fast now but I've not enough hours of decent weather each day to get them all done.

Always like to read your posts. Any chance you could put some photos on here sometime? Would be really nice to see the fruits of your labour.

Like to think that I've gone from to beginner to intermediate level here. Wildflowers sown and sprouting early after last year's late sowing and the cat destruction debacle. Got tulips, hyacinths and ranunculus on the go already. Was planning to get growing some vegetables this year but probably got some scaffolding going up for the 2nd year running that will restrict the light.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1571 on: March 13, 2022, 08:39:10 pm »
Always like to read your posts. Any chance you could put some photos on here sometime? Would be really nice to see the fruits of your labour.

Like to think that I've gone from to beginner to intermediate level here. Wildflowers sown and sprouting early after last year's late sowing and the cat destruction debacle. Got tulips, hyacinths and ranunculus on the go already. Was planning to get growing some vegetables this year but probably got some scaffolding going up for the 2nd year running that will restrict the light.

That's great work mate but don't let scaffold put you off growing veg as you can easily do stuff in troughs and or bags you know.

I'm growing my spuds and strawberries in bags this year.

I'd love to know how to put photos up but since I can't use Tapatalk on the site any more I don't know how to do it 🤷

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1572 on: March 13, 2022, 09:52:31 pm »
Debs and pics are a no no ;D
Y.N.W.A.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1573 on: March 17, 2022, 07:02:55 pm »
I’m starting to see the plants that have survived the mulch in my garden and was trying to figure out a little bugger that was appearing everywhere with tiny tubers at their roots. Anyway turns out it’s lesser celandine and it’s a. perfect for the ground layer in the marshy bottom bit of our garden, and b. dies back in April after it’s flowered. So it gets to stay I think!
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1574 on: March 17, 2022, 07:48:16 pm »
I’m starting to see the plants that have survived the mulch in my garden and was trying to figure out a little bugger that was appearing everywhere with tiny tubers at their roots. Anyway turns out it’s lesser celandine and it’s a. perfect for the ground layer in the marshy bottom bit of our garden, and b. dies back in April after it’s flowered. So it gets to stay I think!

That sounds like a plan Roy 👍

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #1575 on: March 17, 2022, 08:06:56 pm »
Deffo Roy, plenty of plants self germinate too after they end the season and set seed.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1576 on: March 19, 2022, 12:32:32 pm »
Weeds between paving stones aaahhh

Boiling water killed some. Weedkiller too.

Are there any weedkiller you can like, spread all over the drive? Got a spray thing but a liquid between the cracks might be better (that's what she said)

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1577 on: March 20, 2022, 01:04:51 pm »
Weeds between paving stones aaahhh

Boiling water killed some. Weedkiller too.

Are there any weedkiller you can like, spread all over the drive? Got a spray thing but a liquid between the cracks might be better (that's what she said)

I use Gallup but the concentrate you mix up yourself and use a shoulder type spray but it is deadly if you get it on other plants.

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1578 on: March 20, 2022, 01:41:59 pm »
Had a quick check under the bubble wrap at the seeds I sowed last week and most are already showing 🤗

I've been away working since Wednesday and with the warm weather we've had while I was away it's amazing how much has appeared in the garden.

Quite a few buds on an azalea I rescued last summer that was just a stump. 

The tulips are doing well, especially the black ones which are my favourites.

The hollyhock, Veronica, foxgloves and the aquilegia are all growing well and the delphiniums are sending up new shoots.

Seeing as we're forecast some calm, warm weather for the next week or so I might sort out and split the red hot pokers.  It's only s couple of weeks earlier than they suggest so I can do that much harm.

Indoors, the begonias and dahlias are all sprouting well too.

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1579 on: March 23, 2022, 04:19:47 pm »
The red hot pokers are tremendous - we've still not gone for any of them but we got some seeds off some last year and sewed them so we'll see I suppose.

It sounds lovely Debs.
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1580 on: March 23, 2022, 05:08:55 pm »
The red hot pokers are tremendous - we've still not gone for any of them but we got some seeds off some last year and sewed them so we'll see I suppose.

It sounds lovely Debs.

There's 2 biggish clumps here so I've taken about 6 or 7 shoots from them and created 2 more clumps so fingers crossed they'll survive and flower this year.

I've cut back all the hardy fuschias today, pruned the roses and mulched the peonies with the last of the horse muck.

It's been so warm here this week I've been putting the begonias and dahlias out during the day so that they can go into their pots once they've all spritted.

I've transplanted the strawberry's into a felt bag instead of in pots to help keep the slugs off them and finally the raspberry's have shoots growing.

They failed miserably last year and I thought they'd probably died so had been pricing up some new ones.

It's lovely just being able to potter around, doing bits and bobs as you see them instead of the full on digging, weeding and creating brand new beds, borders and veg plots like last spring.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2022, 05:10:44 pm by reddebs »

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #1581 on: March 24, 2022, 09:11:44 pm »
Fruitwatch

Interesting citizen science research project based at the University of Reading looking at how climate change is impacting the timing of fruit tree flowering and pollinator flight.

Asks you to record dates when your apple, cherry, pear and plum (including damson/greengage etc) trees first flower, peak and die off. Very simple interface, click on map to get location, enter tree species from drop down list (as far as is known), then enter date and flowering stage.

There is also a map so you can see the results so far and at what stage everyone else is at.
https://fruitwatch.org/

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1582 on: March 24, 2022, 09:46:21 pm »
Fruitwatch

Interesting citizen science research project based at the University of Reading looking at how climate change is impacting the timing of fruit tree flowering and pollinator flight.

Asks you to record dates when your apple, cherry, pear and plum (including damson/greengage etc) trees first flower, peak and die off. Very simple interface, click on map to get location, enter tree species from drop down list (as far as is known), then enter date and flowering stage.

There is also a map so you can see the results so far and at what stage everyone else is at.
https://fruitwatch.org/

Funnily enough I've noticed the first blossom on the plum trees this morning.  They're not "orchard" trees though, they're wild hedgerow plums.

The blackthorn aren't far off here on  Anglesey yet I noticed they were in full blossom round Barnsley last week.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #1583 on: March 26, 2022, 05:00:56 pm »
Like i said i completety took my lawn up and they used that machine to turn the ground over and then planted wild flower seeds and also a thornless blackberry bush that i have built a terris for that after the picture was taken.

That was about 6 weeks ago and this time it seems to have worked got things coming  up it will be interesting to see what its like in the Spring

Its still coming along nicely some are starting to flower looking forward to see what it looks like when they all flower

Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #1584 on: March 31, 2022, 03:39:47 pm »
Firs time ever managed to get a bumper lot of coleus seeds to germinate - seeing as though the weather was so nice earlier this week I thought I would give them a dose of sunshine and completely forgot about them.

Scorched the lot of em 😩

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1585 on: March 31, 2022, 08:31:22 pm »
Firs time ever managed to get a bumper lot of coleus seeds to germinate - seeing as though the weather was so nice earlier this week I thought I would give them a dose of sunshine and completely forgot about them.

Scorched the lot of em 😩

Oh no!!  It's easily done though.

I've started my begonias and dahlias indoors to get them nearly flowering before planting them out in May/June so whilst it's been so warm I've been putting them outside during the day but nearly forgetting to bring them in a couple of times.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1586 on: April 1, 2022, 10:54:40 pm »
Oh no!!  It's easily done though.

I've started my begonias and dahlias indoors to get them nearly flowering before planting them out in May/June so whilst it's been so warm I've been putting them outside during the day but nearly forgetting to bring them in a couple of times.

What temps and humidity do you aim for with your begonias and dahlias Debs ?  I have 18 begonias on the go,started with 20 but 2 corns rotted & I just ordered some dahlias (tubes) and a couple of rose roots.

Keep saying that's it and then suttons send another offer,think i'm addicted but I am new to growing flowers ;D
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1587 on: April 2, 2022, 09:14:30 am »

What temps and humidity do you aim for with your begonias and dahlias Debs ?  I have 18 begonias on the go,started with 20 but 2 corns rotted & I just ordered some dahlias (tubes) and a couple of rose roots.

Keep saying that's it and then suttons send another offer,think i'm addicted but I am new to growing flowers ;D

I didn't even know that was a thing mate Ive just done what the RHS said to do. 

The begonias are laying on about 3 inches of compost in a box, hollow side up and keep the compost moist.

The dahlias are in pots with the tuber slightly showing above the compost.

I've lost 4 out of 12 begonias so far.  2 had gone last autumn when I brought them in but the others might still come to yet.

The dahlias I bought already flowering last year and they did beautifully despite me not putting them in their best spot.  I've managed to split one tubor as it had doubled in size so I've got 5 now 😁

They are literally on the floor in the conservatory but I had been putting them outside each day that was warm enough then bringing them in again and they seem to still be doing ok despite the temps drop.

It is addictive though but rather than buying more ready made plants I'm having a go with seeds this year as my sister gave me so many and I collected loads last autumn

I must have about 500 seedlings growing on and I've resown 4 more trays that failed first time round.  I'll be everyone's best mate when I have to give them away cos I've no room left 😂

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1588 on: April 2, 2022, 09:37:36 am »
We were going to clean the fishpond today but it's absolutely hammering down. ::)

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1589 on: April 3, 2022, 03:06:22 pm »
I didn't even know that was a thing mate Ive just done what the RHS said to do. 

The begonias are laying on about 3 inches of compost in a box, hollow side up and keep the compost moist.

The dahlias are in pots with the tuber slightly showing above the compost.

I've lost 4 out of 12 begonias so far.  2 had gone last autumn when I brought them in but the others might still come to yet.

The dahlias I bought already flowering last year and they did beautifully despite me not putting them in their best spot.  I've managed to split one tubor as it had doubled in size so I've got 5 now 😁

They are literally on the floor in the conservatory but I had been putting them outside each day that was warm enough then bringing them in again and they seem to still be doing ok despite the temps drop.

It is addictive though but rather than buying more ready made plants I'm having a go with seeds this year as my sister gave me so many and I collected loads last autumn

I must have about 500 seedlings growing on and I've resown 4 more trays that failed first time round.  I'll be everyone's best mate when I have to give them away cos I've no room left 😂

I bought one of those war of the worlds looking LEDs off Amazon to help them along.The doubles are the biggest atm but it could just be that they take off earlier than the others,I lost 1 giant and 1 pendula so far.

I've also got a few trays of seeds on the go,some sweet peas (even though I have some plugs to come),some pom poms & some carnations.I'll be sending most of them to my Mother to go into the planters that I built for her,saved her a fortune building those and they should last for years and years.

Have you ever grown chrysanthemums & if so did you mist them whilst they were still small plants ?

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1590 on: April 3, 2022, 04:06:19 pm »
I bought one of those war of the worlds looking LEDs off Amazon to help them along.The doubles are the biggest atm but it could just be that they take off earlier than the others,I lost 1 giant and 1 pendula so far.

I've also got a few trays of seeds on the go,some sweet peas (even though I have some plugs to come),some pom poms & some carnations.I'll be sending most of them to my Mother to go into the planters that I built for her,saved her a fortune building those and they should last for years and years.

Have you ever grown chrysanthemums & if so did you mist them whilst they were still small plants ?

Homemade planters are always the best and as you say, they last forever.

I have one chrisanthamum in the garden that my sister gave me last November.  I've never grown them or had them in the garden before so have no clues on how best to look after them.

It's definitely started to grow and fill out over the last few days though so it must have survived 😂

I'm not really that greenfingered as I've never had a garden before but my sister is a gardener by trade and grows all sorts of stuff from seed or cuttings.

I'm more a buy it, plant it, replace it if it dies or admire it if it lives 😁

I do do research though to find out when to feed and how often, when and how to prune. 

The best soil types and whether they prefer sun, shade or both.

I'm a bugger for moving stuff around though but I think that's mainly because I've planted things where I've got space at the time knowing I'd move them to a better place once I'd finished digging the beds and borders.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1591 on: April 3, 2022, 04:45:48 pm »
I built 2 multi-level planters,the big one is 1.5m split into 3 50cmx50cm squares & the small one is 1m with 2 50x50 squares & the wood cost just over £100 from wickes,that's decking boards,some 2.5" x 1.5" for the legs and 30cmx20cm for the base.

To get similar would cost close to £400.

Only problem is that she now wants me to build more  ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1592 on: April 3, 2022, 05:21:12 pm »
I built 2 multi-level planters,the big one is 1.5m split into 3 50cmx50cm squares & the small one is 1m with 2 50x50 squares & the wood cost just over £100 from wickes,that's decking boards,some 2.5" x 1.5" for the legs and 30cmx20cm for the base.

To get similar would cost close to £400.

Only problem is that she now wants me to build more  ;D

That's definitely an issue when you do too good a job mate but it's definitely worth it 😁

I've just been pricking out some more seedlings and there's so many now I've had to rearrange the conservatory to move some away from the sun.  I could really do for some warmer weather to start hardening them off ready for planting out.

I'm going to my sister's tomorrow and I know she's got even more for me too 🤦

What else are you growing?

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1593 on: April 3, 2022, 06:43:19 pm »
I'm not really that greenfingered as I've never had a garden before but my sister is a gardener by trade and grows all sorts of stuff from seed or cuttings.

I'm more a buy it, plant it, replace it if it dies or admire it if it lives 😁

I do do research though to find out when to feed and how often, when and how to prune. 

The best soil types and whether they prefer sun, shade or both.

Bloody hell Debs, I thought I was picking up tips from some sort of gardener extrodinair. I'm doing all of that already and have now self-promoted myself to semi-professional!

Only joking of course. Sounds like you are busy. Wildflowers healthy here but still young, glad I took a gamble and sowed early. They have been covered in hail and snow from midweek in their container and are just fine now the sun has made a reappearance. Tulips past their best already, grew to about 8 inches, looked amazing but are pretty much done. Hyacinths are only a couple of weeks behind... started to go a bit brown around the edges of the petals over the last few days. Been doing the same as you on much more minor scale in terms of buy and replace... it's really a patio container job so a bit of research, trial and error, plus learning from last year. Got myself some young petunias yesterday that did really well last year and a couple of other newcomers a fortnight ago that I don't know the name of but are flowering and doing fine.

On the back of my efforts last year, inspiration from this thread and a friend, plus a general wish to improve my home environment with working from my front room indoors is going great guns. Got 12 houseplants/succulents/cacti and a bonsai tree on the go. Had some failures along the way but mostly success. Takes some concentration to keep tabs on observing what they do and don't like in terms of positioning, watering and feeding but well worth it. The place looks better and there's a noticeable improvement in air quality... would recommend.
The fans here are the greatest in the land. They know the game and they know what they want to see. The people on the Kop make you feel great - yet humble. I'm just one of the people...

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1594 on: April 3, 2022, 07:06:53 pm »
Bloody hell Debs, I thought I was picking up tips from some sort of gardener extrodinair. I'm doing all of that already and have now self-promoted myself to semi-professional!

Only joking of course. Sounds like you are busy. Wildflowers healthy here but still young, glad I took a gamble and sowed early. They have been covered in hail and snow from midweek in their container and are just fine now the sun has made a reappearance. Tulips past their best already, grew to about 8 inches, looked amazing but are pretty much done. Hyacinths are only a couple of weeks behind... started to go a bit brown around the edges of the petals over the last few days. Been doing the same as you on much more minor scale in terms of buy and replace... it's really a patio container job so a bit of research, trial and error, plus learning from last year. Got myself some young petunias yesterday that did really well last year and a couple of other newcomers a fortnight ago that I don't know the name of but are flowering and doing fine.

On the back of my efforts last year, inspiration from this thread and a friend, plus a general wish to improve my home environment with working from my front room indoors is going great guns. Got 12 houseplants/succulents/cacti and a bonsai tree on the go. Had some failures along the way but mostly success. Takes some concentration to keep tabs on observing what they do and don't like in terms of positioning, watering and feeding but well worth it. The place looks better and there's a noticeable improvement in air quality... would recommend.

I think the trial and error learning is all part of the fun though.  Last year I had no idea how many tomato plants we'd get from 3 packs of seeds but quickly realised that over 30 plants for just 2 of us was a bit too many.  My clients enjoyed lots of freebies though 😁

This year we're buying maybe half a dozen plants ready to go with a selection of cherry, salad and beef varieties.

I'm trying to create a garden for every season and all users.

Colour or interest throughout the year, everything organic, nothing too pristine so there's plenty of food and shelter for birds and mammals with lots and lots of attractions for pollinators.

I'd love to keep bees but it's not an option for now.

Offline cormorant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1595 on: April 3, 2022, 07:18:28 pm »
I think the trial and error learning is all part of the fun though.

Totally agree, it's been the best part.

Used to know someone up until a couple of years ago when he retired who kept bees as well. He loved it. Sounded very tricky but rewarding.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1596 on: April 3, 2022, 07:21:47 pm »
That's definitely an issue when you do too good a job mate but it's definitely worth it 😁

I've just been pricking out some more seedlings and there's so many now I've had to rearrange the conservatory to move some away from the sun.  I could really do for some warmer weather to start hardening them off ready for planting out.

I'm going to my sister's tomorrow and I know she's got even more for me too 🤦

What else are you growing?

Not exactly sure what I have left to come to be honest,I know there's some giant and everlasting tulips,plus Iris in the shed and I have about 20 giant fuchsias to come,plus the roses and Dahlias.

And like a divvy I've just ordered this  :butt that has 105 bulbs and 10 roots for £9 (paid £10 to be a member and it's paid for itself many times over)

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-plants/flowering-bulbs/all/bulb-and-bare-root-collection_mh9096

The Mrs only wanted a bit of colour  ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1597 on: April 3, 2022, 08:06:32 pm »

Not exactly sure what I have left to come to be honest,I know there's some giant and everlasting tulips,plus Iris in the shed and I have about 20 giant fuchsias to come,plus the roses and Dahlias.

And like a divvy I've just ordered this  :butt that has 105 bulbs and 10 roots for £9 (paid £10 to be a member and it's paid for itself many times over)

https://www.suttons.co.uk/flower-plants/flowering-bulbs/all/bulb-and-bare-root-collection_mh9096

The Mrs only wanted a bit of colour  ;D

Holy crap mate you're going to busy with that lot!!

I'm currently growing from seed:
Asters
Giant asters
3 different nicotiana
Gaillardia
2 different cosmos
Coreopsis
Ice plants
Knautia
Strawflowers
Snapdragon
Succisellas
Cleomes
Mallow
Sweetpeas
Hollyhocks
Penstemon
Rudbeckia

They're all in the conservatory along with the begonias and dahlias.  I've also just sown sunflowers and butternut squash but they've not sprouted yet.

I know I've got loads of hellebores from my sister that she's salvaged from the nurseries plus others to collect when I get there tomorrow.

I have to say though that the garden is looking ready to burst into life now.  The peonies are growing very well, the hardy fuschias have loads of new growth after I cut them back last week and the roses are growing and filling out.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1598 on: April 3, 2022, 08:53:51 pm »
Oh I know mate and I'm tempted to get some of those tree lillies when they're next on offer but I'm not sure where I could put them,only place where they wouldn't look out of place is round the back but they'd just become football magnets if I did that.

They do look amazing though so I might have to get my mother a load and enjoy them vicariously.

https://www.suttons.co.uk/search/go?w=tree%20lillies

Starting to think that one of the worst things I ever did is sign up for suttons  ;D

Online reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1599 on: April 3, 2022, 09:29:45 pm »
Oh I know mate and I'm tempted to get some of those tree lillies when they're next on offer but I'm not sure where I could put them,only place where they wouldn't look out of place is round the back but they'd just become football magnets if I did that.

They do look amazing though so I might have to get my mother a load and enjoy them vicariously.

https://www.suttons.co.uk/search/go?w=tree%20lillies

Starting to think that one of the worst things I ever did is sign up for suttons  ;D

Haha they're not daft mate.  They get you hooked then reel you in with tempting little "extras" you don't really need but it's a bargain so you can't resist.

I needed some more terracotta pots but refuse to pay some of the ridiculous prices you see usually.  Then I saw B&Q had some so called today to buy some but had to put blinkers on to walk past all of the perennials and not be tempted to browse 🤦