Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1054133 times)

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
Re: George R. R. Martin's 'Game of Thrones' television series
« Reply #360 on: May 30, 2011, 12:05:19 pm »
Thought episode 7 was a bit boring.

I'd check for a pulse

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #361 on: May 30, 2011, 12:10:16 pm »
Am I the only one that doesn't really give a flying fuck about what happens in the south? I'm much more interested in the north/winter/white walkers.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #362 on: May 30, 2011, 12:25:03 pm »
Thanks a lot Redcap!
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline xavidub

• Not on message, ennui
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Member No. 6218
« Reply #363 on: May 30, 2011, 05:16:16 pm »
Reading the book atm. The story is interesting enough to hold the attention but the quality of the writing is dreadful. Cormac Mac Carthy it isn't.
You have to try very hard to see what's going on in front of your face

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: May 30, 2011, 05:53:29 pm »
The series isn't any better mate, I'm sticking with it because it has the potential to be a good story but the lines are horribly corny & the plot is at times, ridiculous. But hey, with things like this you take that risk.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #365 on: May 30, 2011, 07:29:38 pm »
Just watched the latest one found it all a bit boring apart from the last 10 minutes and what was the point of the lesbian scene it seemed to be this will help the ratings.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline mbroon

• would like a clean space - hasn't got one
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: May 30, 2011, 08:25:21 pm »
I agree with the above post and also, it's very... back and forth.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: May 30, 2011, 08:31:05 pm »
how are people already on episode 8 btw? the latest I can find is ep 7 & that was uploaded 15 hours ago :( Surely it's not taking over a week for someone to pump the torrents out?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #368 on: May 30, 2011, 09:17:07 pm »
how are people already on episode 8 btw? the latest I can find is ep 7 & that was uploaded 15 hours ago :( Surely it's not taking over a week for someone to pump the torrents out?

That is the latest one.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #369 on: May 30, 2011, 10:20:07 pm »
 :no

That fucking ending.

I hate it when it gets too convoluted with all the double-crossing, it loses a lot of realism and makes you wonder why anyone ever believes anyone else. Aside from that, really enjoyed it as usual, up to the last 20 seconds.

Offline stevedo

• Lacks Emotion.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muddling through.
  • Super Title: Corbyn Circle Jerker
« Reply #370 on: May 30, 2011, 10:47:04 pm »
Overall a decent episode but not as good as previous. Hope its just a blip.

Focus groups had better not fuck it up.  >:(

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #371 on: May 31, 2011, 03:55:07 am »
I hate it when it gets too convoluted with all the double-crossing, it loses a lot of realism and makes you wonder why anyone ever believes anyone else.

Focus groups had better not fuck it up.  >:(

Assuming you guys are talking about episode 7, it's more or less exactly how it unfolded in the novel. Focus groups have little to do with it. As far the double-crossing, this entire story is about political intrigue and double-crossing- none more so than for that particular character, who is the biggest manipulator in the whole cast. I think you only have to see the episode where Littlefinger is taking Ned around and showing him all the spies of all the different people at King's Landing to realize what the game is all about.

Spoiler
And I think Baelish betraying Ned was fairly well foreshadowed throughout the episode and series. You can see it coming from a million miles away. The guy has the word sneaky branded on his forehead- and then you have his feelings towards the Starks for taking Catelyn Tully away from him.
[close]

Offline Dr Manhattan

• I discovered and developed fucktron. That's right, me. It's my word and, frankly, anyone trying to take credit for it is nothing short of a fucktron.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Officially the 7th best poster you'll see on here.
« Reply #372 on: May 31, 2011, 10:49:54 am »

Assuming you guys are talking about episode 7, it's more or less exactly how it unfolded in the novel. Focus groups have little to do with it. As far the double-crossing, this entire story is about political intrigue and double-crossing- none more so than for that particular character, who is the biggest manipulator in the whole cast. I think you only have to see the episode where Littlefinger is taking Ned around and showing him all the spies of all the different people at King's Landing to realize what the game is all about.

Spoiler
And I think Baelish betraying Ned was fairly well foreshadowed throughout the episode and series. You can see it coming from a million miles away. The guy has the word sneaky branded on his forehead- and then you have his feelings towards the Starks for taking Catelyn Tully away from him.
[close]

Amazing, isn't it? People are actually moaning about there being too much backstabbing? It's a political drama, it's all about gaining power, this isn't some show where there's just going to be epic battles and sword play every episode. Why can't people understand that by now?

And someone up there said the writing is dreadful. Hahahaha! No.

Personally, I think this is the best show on tv right now.
I trust the King, but if we lose a few more on the trot now - he may have to step aside, and we have to purchase another manager in the middle of the season. If we are relegated, this could be the end of our ambitions to win any title the next 100 years.

Offline ghost1359

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: May 31, 2011, 11:16:43 am »
The script writing is poor, some of the lines they come out with are cheesy to the point of cringeworthy. Some of the things they say just don't even seem in keeping with the style of the programme. I'm gonna stick with it because like I said the story is interesting & I really wanna know what's going on north of the wall etc but lets not make out as if this is the greatest tv show ever, it's not even Hbo's greatest tv show ever...

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: May 31, 2011, 11:42:00 am »
The script writing is poor, some of the lines they come out with are cheesy to the point of cringeworthy. Some of the things they say just don't even seem in keeping with the style of the programme. I'm gonna stick with it because like I said the story is interesting & I really wanna know what's going on north of the wall etc but lets not make out as if this is the greatest tv show ever, it's not even Hbo's greatest tv show ever...

Some spoilers for you mate- for your benefit so as to not waste your time- not much happens north of the wall. Maybe.. a quarter of everything that happens, happens there, if that? There, as elsewhere, things develop very gradually though Jon is one of the real main characters of the story. If you're waiting for big things to happen there you might be waiting around.. 5 years, assuming this keeps going till season 6 (the 6th book, as yet unwritten, is called "The Winds of Winter.") and they churn them out at a season a year.

Given the fact that you're not interested in what's happening in the south, maybe your interpretation of the style of the program is not exactly on the money?

Offline And Could He Play

• aka And Could He Play.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: May 31, 2011, 11:47:32 am »
great stuff again, cant wait for the next one.
www. ... .com      RAWK Clique Leader
Not saying my ex girlfriend was a slag but even the label in her knickers said next.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2011, 01:14:07 pm »
Just catching up with this, it's very very good aint it?

Very slow burning, but that's what it needs to be. It's all going to pay off in the future anyway, they're laying the foundations well here.

As has been said, Dinklage is the standout, but that's down to his character being so great.

The depth and layers to the show are so impressive, they've done a cracking job thus far.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #377 on: May 31, 2011, 01:31:47 pm »
Forgot to say. How awesome are the opening credits? Love the music and the vastness of it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:34:39 pm by Mr Dilkington »

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2011, 01:58:57 pm »

Just wait til the bloodshed really starts happening, I think many people will be shocked by the scale of it and complain about how 'unfair' it all seems.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:13 pm »
Just wait til the bloodshed really starts happening, I think many people will be shocked by the scale of it and complain about how 'unfair' it all seems.

Haha.. that was me a couple of days ago just on the previous page of this thread after I read ASoS.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2011, 06:06:03 pm »
The different level of spoilers in this thread is annoying. Some use spoilers to talk about what happened in the latest episode, whereas other use them to talk about the book. Is it possible for the people who are posting book spoilers just to put some warning its about future plot points of the show?

Offline Captain Wolf Biscuit

• There's a really funny story behind this actually. I'm captain of my local team and at one xmas party I wolfed down a soggy biscuit and behold! My username was born!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Long Live The King
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2011, 07:05:41 pm »
Think I just accidentally read a spoiler I shouldn't have. ???
"Liverpool is my home and I will be back" - Rafa Benitez

An Internet Terrorist and proud of it.

Offline Zaffarious

• likes 2 mins from the toilet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Militant Fan
« Reply #382 on: May 31, 2011, 07:27:13 pm »
The different level of spoilers in this thread is annoying. Some use spoilers to talk about what happened in the latest episode, whereas other use them to talk about the book. Is it possible for the people who are posting book spoilers just to put some warning its about future plot points of the show?

totally agree, its begining to piss me off. if you mention anything in the book, then please start with

BOOK SPOILER

Spoiler
THIS IS A FCKING SPOILER
[close]

Offline Apollo

• Kopite
  • I've got the
« Reply #383 on: May 31, 2011, 08:37:21 pm »
Amazing, isn't it? People are actually moaning about there being too much backstabbing? It's a political drama, it's all about gaining power, this isn't some show where there's just going to be epic battles and sword play every episode. Why can't people understand that by now?

Amazing isn't it? I said I was annoyed because the schemers scheming behind schemers' backs was too convoluted and unconvincing at the end of episode 7, amazing. I know it's a political drama, there's no need to be smug and condescending thanks.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #384 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:06 pm »
Spoiler
I think there's a real possibility this show is going to lose a large chunk of viewers after most of the 'good guys' are killed off, especially the excellent Sean Bean.  Who's going to care once it becomes a squabble for power between a bunch of unlikeable arses?  For me Martin has tried too hard for drama by killing off the noble characters and leaving most of the self-centred ones to fight another day (and that's just within the Stark family).  Jon Snow is the natural successor to Ned as the 'hero' of the show, but as he's sidelined in the north there's not an awful lot for him to do.
[close]

FFS

Offline jammy dodger

• going to make your vagina cry
  • Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #385 on: May 31, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »
I spoiled it for myself a couple of weeks ago. I just couldn't help looking up background information about characters and I found out the big news for the first book/season that shat on my parade a bit. Oh well, i'm halfway through the book now. My mate let me borrow the first three and i'm reading them like it is my job.
"Anything can happen. Danny Ings can happen" - Ellie Goulding

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2011, 10:03:36 pm »
Can't believe people are saying ep 7 was boring, that was one of my favourites so far! Loved all the political wrangling, manipualtion and backstabbing. Another great ending too, yeah I saw it coming but it was no less thrilling for it.

The cast just really sell it; Lena Hedley, Sean Bean, Aiden Gillen and the lad playing Joffrey are all fantastic and know how to play the material just right. Not too camp or 'scenery chewy' (although there is definitely a place for that in this type of show eg. Drogo's big speech) and not too subdued either. You can tell they're having fun and relish it... which rubs off on me :)

This is the first show since Lost where I've been dying to see new episodes straight after one finishes, can't get enough of it.

Also, aren't HBO the complete masters of opening titles? This one is the latest in a long line of classics, don't mind sitting through it every time.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2011, 10:05:42 pm »
People keep mentioning to me that the credits change as the story develops. Has anyone noticed this?

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2011, 10:07:34 pm »
Can't believe people are saying ep 7 was boring, that was one of my favourites so far! Loved all the political wrangling, manipualtion and backstabbing. Another great ending too, yeah I saw it coming but it was no less thrilling for it.

Quite, I thought it was the best one so far.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2011, 10:20:28 pm »
Quite, I thought it was the best one so far.

Indeed, I didn't even miss Dinklage.

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #390 on: May 31, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
Just watched the latest one found it all a bit boring apart from the last 10 minutes and what was the point of the lesbian scene it seemed to be this will help the ratings.

My other half asked that (she hasn't watched any), I told her that it was all part of the plot.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #391 on: June 1, 2011, 01:44:17 am »
My other half asked that (she hasn't watched any), I told her that it was all part of the plot.

A girl being fisted up the ass always helps with the plot I guess.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #392 on: June 1, 2011, 01:48:14 am »
Can't believe people are saying ep 7 was boring, that was one of my favourites so far! Loved all the political wrangling, manipualtion and backstabbing. Another great ending too.

Come on the twists and turns right now are as complicated as reading a famous 5 novel and the ending you could see a mile off they set that up about 2 episodes ago.

The first rule of trust club is never trust someone who says don't trust me.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2011, 02:04:23 am by Trada »

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #393 on: June 1, 2011, 01:55:35 am »
I'm just waiting for Blondie to be flying around on a Dragon with a little bit of nipple showing.

I don't know if that will happen but I have a feeling it will.
« Last Edit: June 1, 2011, 02:18:06 am by Trada »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: June 1, 2011, 04:31:28 am »
I'm just waiting for Blondie to be flying around on a Dragon with a little bit of nipple showing.

I don't know if that will happen but I have a feeling it will.

Not any time soon.

About the spoilers: every time I post a book spoiler I'm quite clear about it being a book spoiler, at least by talking about it being from the book ahead of time or even with a book spoiler tag. In any case if it's in spoiler tags you should probably be careful as the show is an adaptation, no?

Amazing isn't it? I said I was annoyed because the schemers scheming behind schemers' backs was too convoluted and unconvincing at the end of episode 7, amazing. I know it's a political drama, there's no need to be smug and condescending thanks.

It's one of those things that will make more sense with time, consistent with the characters. And yes, there's no reason to trust anyone at King's Landing. I think that's one of the points to take away from the whole show. That's what makes Ned different.

Offline Hannibal

• Kopite

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #396 on: June 1, 2011, 05:23:21 am »
Ned is a bit lacking in subtlety, but I think he gets a bit of a bad rap for being a good man. Probably doesn't deserve as much ridicule as he gets.

Offline jammy dodger

• Legacy Fan
  • pass and move.
« Reply #397 on: June 1, 2011, 07:05:34 am »
My man has not an ounce of cunning in his body and is surrounded by the most cunning and ruthless people in all of Westeros and happens to know the secret that will bring it all tumbling down. There is no honor in shooting yourself in the foot. If he doesn't care to be King that is one thing (and fair enough) but you have to have a bit of cleverness when your life is on the line.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: June 1, 2011, 09:38:21 am »
Come on the twists and turns right now are as complicated as reading a famous 5 novel and the ending you could see a mile off they set that up about 2 episodes ago.

The first rule of trust club is never trust someone who says don't trust me.

If you had bothered to quote the rest of my post you would see that I knew it was coming and that it was no less entertaining because of that. I'm not saying it's complicated either, 90% of the characters are schemeing scumbags so you know everyone is only out for themselves... that's what makes it fun to watch!

Some of the plotting isn't subtle, Stark reading aloud from the history book and his "oh shit!" face was really awful and clunky. But it's also thrown in some surprising plot twists that I didn't see coming.

Offline Not funny reecehenebry

• Pitbull #2. Fanning the flames of debate since 03/06/10.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: June 1, 2011, 11:07:21 am »
If you had bothered to quote the rest of my post you would see that I knew it was coming and that it was no less entertaining because of that. I'm not saying it's complicated either, 90% of the characters are schemeing scumbags so you know everyone is only out for themselves... that's what makes it fun to watch!

Some of the plotting isn't subtle, Stark reading aloud from the history book and his "oh shit!" face was really awful and clunky. But it's also thrown in some surprising plot twists that I didn't see coming.

Also it's just starting. The plots are often set over three and four books and you only think them finished.

People need to rememeber that the books aren't set around 'heros' and 'villains'.  As the series grows we learn more about the people and the reasons for their nature. People are accustomed to liking the good guys and hating the bad guys, or at least liking the bad guys becuase they are anti-heros. Martin just ignores all that and creates people. Some you like some you hate, some do horrid things yet you like them and some are good but you dislike them.
Why are you looking past this season?