Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1054593 times)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
Re: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion
« Reply #15680 on: October 31, 2022, 10:04:55 pm »
I watched an interview with George recently where he mentioned he pitched 2 shows to HBO, one being HoTD and the other being Dunk & Egg which they weren't interested in at the time. I think with the success this is getting we will be getting more shows though so fingers crossed for Dunk & Egg.

Dunk & Egg is already in production though I don't think they've done anything but hire a showrunner and some writers.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/game-of-thrones-tales-of-dunk-and-egg-hbo-series-steve-conrad-1235119192/

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15681 on: October 31, 2022, 10:26:18 pm »
Dunk & Egg is already in production though I don't think they've done anything but hire a showrunner and some writers.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/game-of-thrones-tales-of-dunk-and-egg-hbo-series-steve-conrad-1235119192/

Nice, glad to see they have changed there mind on it, hopefully it will come sooner rather than later.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #15682 on: November 1, 2022, 09:06:37 am »
Absolutely loved the first season! The acting and writing were fantastic. So many stand out performances but Paddy stole the show with his performance of King Viserys! I can see some awards coming his way! The CGI with the dragons was fantastic, So good seen so many dragons with their own look and personality, Very excited about the dragon battles to come.

I wasn't overly concerned with Rhaenys not killing everyone, as she said it's not her war to start and considering Rhaenyra was seriously contemplating the offer she had it's obvious Rhaenys made the correct decision and been a kinslayer is great taboo in Westeros so it's not surprising she took the direction she did.

The only gripe I had and it's small is I would have liked to have seen the younger Rhaenys and Alicent a bit more! The time jump at episode 5 should have been at the end of the season but I think they were in a rush to get the war to start.

Considering what a huge success this has been both for ratings and viewing figures I think it's safe to say HBO will be looking at some more spinoffs now. 

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15683 on: November 1, 2022, 09:12:31 am »
Why are they called the Greens? I feel like they only started calling them that in the final episode.

Also loved the show. I really get sucked into all the political backstabbing in this world that GRRM has built, great stuff.

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15684 on: November 1, 2022, 09:35:28 am »
Why are they called the Greens? I feel like they only started calling them that in the final episode.

Also loved the show. I really get sucked into all the political backstabbing in this world that GRRM has built, great stuff.

It was brought up at around episode 6 or 7 about the queen wearing a green dress to some banquet or other and the meaning of that

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15685 on: November 1, 2022, 09:46:28 am »
The green flame is the colour in the Hightower banners. That is why the moment Alicent wore that green dress people knew it would send a message.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15686 on: November 1, 2022, 12:02:29 pm »
The green flame is the colour in the Hightower banners. That is why the moment Alicent wore that green dress people knew it would send a message.

Didn't the foot connoisseur say (convo with his bro) it's what they fly as a call to war ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15687 on: November 1, 2022, 12:04:22 pm »
Didn't the foot connoisseur say (convo with his bro) it's what they fly as a call to war ?

Yes, he did. Everyone in the Hall knew what she was doing there.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15688 on: November 1, 2022, 12:43:33 pm »
It was brought up at around episode 6 or 7 about the queen wearing a green dress to some banquet or other and the meaning of that

Ahh yes ofcourse, completely forgot about that.

Just googled the Hightower sigil and this makes total sense haha.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15689 on: November 1, 2022, 12:58:14 pm »
I only really got the significance of the green dress and the Hightower sigil when reading here. Obviously it all twigged when I read it but it wasn't really explained that well on the show.

You would think something that important could have stressed a bit more than say, twenty to thirty minutes of childbirth coverage, that felt even longer than that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15690 on: November 1, 2022, 01:05:07 pm »
Ahh yes ofcourse, completely forgot about that.

Just googled the Hightower sigil and this makes total sense haha.

As the next series is two years away, there are hundreds of background videos on the characters of the House of the Dragon on youtube. It just gives you a bit more information on the various characters and relationships. The good ones I listen too always give spoiler notices, so if you prefer not to find out anything spoilers you can avoid them. This guy below, has loads of interesting angles on teh story.

https://youtu.be/kbDRhmet1Ew

Talking Thrones is another one who has a lot of interesting viewpoints as well.

Offline F-T-9

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15691 on: November 1, 2022, 01:46:57 pm »
As the next series is two years away, there are hundreds of background videos on the characters of the House of the Dragon on youtube. It just gives you a bit more information on the various characters and relationships. The good ones I listen too always give spoiler notices, so if you prefer not to find out anything spoilers you can avoid them. This guy below, has loads of interesting angles on teh story.

https://youtu.be/kbDRhmet1Ew

Talking Thrones is another one who has a lot of interesting viewpoints as well.

Brilliant thank you. Should hopefully keep me ticking over for the next two years.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15692 on: November 1, 2022, 02:07:14 pm »
Brilliant thank you. Should hopefully keep me ticking over for the next two years.

Enjoy it.  :wave

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15693 on: November 1, 2022, 04:20:13 pm »
I only really got the significance of the green dress and the Hightower sigil when reading here. Obviously it all twigged when I read it but it wasn't really explained that well on the show.

You would think something that important could have stressed a bit more than say, twenty to thirty minutes of childbirth coverage, that felt even longer than that.

That's really been my whole issue with this show. It's as if the showrunner had a checklist for what happened in Fire & Blood and was more concerned about making sure everything got a checkmark besides it than actually making it make sense on a TV screen. Multiple characters are introduced and die in the same episode, there's no emotional tie there to almost any of them. And then when they veer from Fire & Blood it's not to add more to the story but to make it more convoluted.

Also the stuff with childbirth and how cruel the Westeros world is, can they get any more heavy handed? There is no humor, no brevity, which is what made Thrones great. Does taking time out of an episode for a child fighting ring really add anything to this? It's a rumor in Fire & Blood that Aegon went to one so lets put it in the show, that's about as deep as the thinking is for this. Really a shame as I think there could be a great show here and I'm happy a lot are enjoying this but for me it's similar to end of GoT where there's just bad choice after bad choice being made.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15694 on: November 1, 2022, 04:37:56 pm »
Also the stuff with childbirth and how cruel the Westeros world is, can they get any more heavy handed? There is no humor, no brevity, which is what made Thrones great. Does taking time out of an episode for a child fighting ring really add anything to this? It's a rumor in Fire & Blood that Aegon went to one so lets put it in the show, that's about as deep as the thinking is for this. Really a shame as I think there could be a great show here and I'm happy a lot are enjoying this but for me it's similar to end of GoT where there's just bad choice after bad choice being made.

I thought the point of the child fighting was to highlight what an awful king Aegon would be? We had seen hints of it but he was mostly just portrayed as a drunkard, also unless I missed something it seemed like the children fighting were his own bastard children. It was also the revelation that led to a member of the kings guard breaking Rhaenys out.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15695 on: November 1, 2022, 04:52:34 pm »
I thought the point of the child fighting was to highlight what an awful king Aegon would be? We had seen hints of it but he was mostly just portrayed as a drunkard, also unless I missed something it seemed like the children fighting were his own bastard children. It was also the revelation that led to a member of the kings guard breaking Rhaenys out.

You're kind of making my point for me. If you read the book you can infer this stuff and that's all the show runner is trying to do, put a checkmark next to what happened as if it's just a wikipedia entry.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15696 on: November 5, 2022, 10:37:26 pm »
That's really been my whole issue with this show. It's as if the showrunner had a checklist for what happened in Fire & Blood and was more concerned about making sure everything got a checkmark besides it than actually making it make sense on a TV screen. Multiple characters are introduced and die in the same episode, there's no emotional tie there to almost any of them. And then when they veer from Fire & Blood it's not to add more to the story but to make it more convoluted.

That's one of the biggest problems I had with it too. And, yeah, they can fuck off with all the child birth stuff too. Once was enough. In fact, once was too much for what they showed.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15697 on: December 6, 2022, 07:53:37 pm »
You're kind of making my point for me. If you read the book you can infer this stuff and that's all the show runner is trying to do, put a checkmark next to what happened as if it's just a wikipedia entry.

What about people who haven't read the books? This showed what an evil git he was before we'd just seen him as a drunken fool, speaking as a non book reader.

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #15698 on: December 6, 2022, 11:08:04 pm »
Still its light years better then Rings Of Shite

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #15699 on: December 7, 2022, 08:44:23 am »

Yep and it's not even close. There was a lot of talk before both shows started on which would be more popular but HBO have destroyed Amazon with this.

It's like comparing Grange Hill to Shakespeare  ;D

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15700 on: December 7, 2022, 01:56:56 pm »

Watching them alongside each other every week made the difference in quality even more obvious.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #15701 on: December 7, 2022, 02:44:43 pm »

The show was OK but I enjoyed Rings of power a lot more.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #15702 on: December 7, 2022, 08:09:08 pm »
Yep and it's not even close. There was a lot of talk before both shows started on which would be more popular but HBO have destroyed Amazon with this.

It's like comparing Grange Hill to Shakespeare  ;D

the irony of that is galadriel was more suited to grange hill than a tolkein series, all she needed was a faint whiff of lynx about her to complete her take on teenage angst
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Fortneef

• Palace Fan. Punka wallah?
  • Kopite
« Reply #15703 on: December 8, 2022, 04:37:24 pm »
the irony of that is galadriel was more suited to grange hill than a tolkein series, all she needed was a faint whiff of lynx about her to complete her take on teenage angst

body shop white musk surely

ooh proustian rememberance. sigh.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #15704 on: December 8, 2022, 04:42:11 pm »
'Any publicity is good publicity' ;)

They crave being talked about months after the episodes air, and here you chaps are.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15705 on: December 8, 2022, 04:44:30 pm »
Fucking hell, were you guys not satisfied with wrecking just the RoP thread so decided to bring it here too?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15706 on: January 7, 2023, 11:36:38 pm »
Just read a convincing theory that Tywin was a dead man even without Tyrion putting that crossbow bolt into his belly. Oberyn had poisoned him with Widow's Blood, and Tyrion managed to figure that out, thus heading straight for the Hand's privy where he expected to find him, and find him he did.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15707 on: January 9, 2023, 02:39:18 am »
Just read a convincing theory that Tywin was a dead man even without Tyrion putting that crossbow bolt into his belly. Oberyn had poisoned him with Widow's Blood, and Tyrion managed to figure that out, thus heading straight for the Hand's privy where he expected to find him, and find him he did.

I miss good ol' GOT theories
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #15708 on: January 10, 2023, 02:24:17 pm »
Just finished the 6th episode of House of the Dragon. Loving it so far. It feels more like a return to the early series of Game of Thrones, when it delved into the nitty gritty politics and hadn´t gone off the rails (In fact I was so bored of GoT by the later seasons that I never even bothered with the last one).

I also like the way it time jumps so as to avoid any fluff. Basically a proper narrative arc.

Haven´t watch the Rings of Power. Will probably give it a go at some point, but I have yet to speak to anyone who was particularly impressed with it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15709 on: January 10, 2023, 06:04:28 pm »
Just finished the 6th episode of House of the Dragon. Loving it so far. It feels more like a return to the early series of Game of Thrones, when it delved into the nitty gritty politics and hadn´t gone off the rails (In fact I was so bored of GoT by the later seasons that I never even bothered with the last one).

I also like the way it time jumps so as to avoid any fluff. Basically a proper narrative arc.

Haven´t watch the Rings of Power. Will probably give it a go at some point, but I have yet to speak to anyone who was particularly impressed with it.

You should watch His Dark Materials, one of the best book to television adaptions I have seen and it's beautifully filmed with a good, complex plot and great character development. I am still stunned by how well they did the last season, as I thought it would be impossible.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15710 on: January 11, 2023, 01:50:31 pm »

I enjoyed House of Dragon a lot but it's absurd that the Golden Globes chose it over Better Call Saul for best TV series. 

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15711 on: January 11, 2023, 02:01:25 pm »
You should watch His Dark Materials, one of the best book to television adaptions I have seen and it's beautifully filmed with a good, complex plot and great character development. I am still stunned by how well they did the last season, as I thought it would be impossible.

I´ll keep my eye out for that.

I remember reading them as a kid/teen but was never massively enthused. Which is a shame because I´d probably like them if I gave them another go now.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #15712 on: January 11, 2023, 02:11:15 pm »
My eldest has, over the last couple of months, been watching GoT for the first time. She keeps me updated with where she's at with it, asking questions, talking developments, etc (and we've watched a few episodes together)

Yesterday, she reached the scene where the Night King kills the dragon.

Afterwards, I asked her "Were those huge chains just lying about in the snow, do you think?"

That was all it took  :lmao :lmao :lmao
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15713 on: January 11, 2023, 02:19:11 pm »
My eldest has, over the last couple of months, been watching GoT for the first time. She keeps me updated with where she's at with it, asking questions, talking developments, etc (and we've watched a few episodes together)

Yesterday, she reached the scene where the Night King kills the dragon.

Afterwards, I asked her "Were those huge chains just lying about in the snow, do you think?"

That was all it took  :lmao :lmao :lmao

I think it was that season that I packed it in as too stupid to continue.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #15714 on: January 11, 2023, 02:20:34 pm »
I think it was that season that I packed it in as too stupid to continue.

We never did get to see the teleporter, did we?
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15715 on: January 11, 2023, 04:11:53 pm »
I´ll keep my eye out for that.

I remember reading them as a kid/teen but was never massively enthused. Which is a shame because I´d probably like them if I gave them another go now.

They have done a fantastic job with and they have landed the ending very well unlike GOT.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #15716 on: January 14, 2023, 09:51:43 am »
I've just finished HotD. I thought it was excellent. I wasnt sold by some of the actor choices, mainly Paddy Considine and Matt Smith. I just couldn't see past other things that they did, but they played it really well.

I loved the last few episodes. It's giving myself and my wife the feelings we have when we first started watching Got.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15717 on: January 28, 2023, 09:24:53 am »
Only watched the final episode of this last night and had avoided this thread until now.

Unfortunately I see some of the same shit-posts that are in the LotR thread. The first thing I would say is that it isn’t a competition. I actually enjoyed both shows. HotD is the better quality show overall, but LotR is much better visually and that counts for something. But guess what, both these shows can and will co-exist.

My second gripe is with those saying this wasn’t as good as even latter stage GoT. I can’t really argue with that, on these forums you will also find people who enjoy Picard and Discovery and there’s no arguing with that kind of opinion. But for me HoT is better than at LEAST the final two seasons of GoT I’m sure because GRRM had more to do with the writing.

Another problem that GoT had to deal with throughout its run is that a large part of its cast, who got the jobs initially due to budgetary reasons and the fact it was an unknown and a risk, were actually bad actors. All of the Stark children for example, although Robb’s actor has become very good since then. The cast in HotD are uniformly brilliant. I would say Paddy Considine puts in the best performance playing the best role in all of the shows.

My final observations is that those who came away from the finale buzzing about the setup of a war of dragons in S2 - you haven’t really been paying attention have you? Wars are the afterthought in this world. There was only one war scene/episode of note in all of GoT and the most impactful ones were dealt with (correctly) off-screen. This is not Star Wars with dragons.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #15718 on: January 28, 2023, 10:56:45 am »
Turns out I live on the same road as Emma D’arcy and have done for some years. She looks very different in real life. Interesting fact for no one there.

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15719 on: January 28, 2023, 12:15:44 pm »
Only watched the final episode of this last night and had avoided this thread until now.

Unfortunately I see some of the same shit-posts that are in the LotR thread. The first thing I would say is that it isn’t a competition. I actually enjoyed both shows. HotD is the better quality show overall, but LotR is much better visually and that counts for something. But guess what, both these shows can and will co-exist.

My second gripe is with those saying this wasn’t as good as even latter stage GoT. I can’t really argue with that, on these forums you will also find people who enjoy Picard and Discovery and there’s no arguing with that kind of opinion. But for me HoT is better than at LEAST the final two seasons of GoT I’m sure because GRRM had more to do with the writing.

I've not seen that assertion. HotD is generally rated on a par with better GoT, perhaps even vying with peak GoT, and comfortably ahead of the second half of GoT.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258