Author Topic: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion  (Read 1054691 times)

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: SPOILERS The Chainless Game of Thrones and House of the Dragon Discussion
« Reply #15520 on: October 15, 2022, 04:11:07 pm »
Not sure what expectations I had of this before it started but it's surpassed them. Been brilliant.

Offline EastTyroneRed

• Got an issue? Here's a tissue. Or a sock. I use either...
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15521 on: October 15, 2022, 06:13:27 pm »
Fantastic show. Had thought episode was my favourite until last week but its been surpassed!
The nuances and depth on show is incredible.

As for Matt Smith and Paddy Constantine... they're in emmy territory.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #15522 on: October 17, 2022, 03:45:38 pm »
Another fantastic episode! The finale next week is going to be insane!! But...

Spoiler
Why the hell didn't Rhaenys just burn them all? Yeah I know if she did the dance of dragons wouldn't have even happened but it seemed like a too good of an opportunity to miss. She could have ended the war before it even happened.
[close]

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15523 on: October 17, 2022, 04:37:03 pm »
Another fantastic episode! The finale next week is going to be insane!! But...

Spoiler
Why the hell didn't Rhaenys just burn them all? Yeah I know if she did the dance of dragons wouldn't have even happened but it seemed like a too good of an opportunity to miss. She could have ended the war before it even happened.
[close]

Spoiler
I'm not sure if it happens that way in the book but that was my exact thought too, she could of killed all of them so easily and stopped all the bloodshed that is going to occur.
[close]

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15524 on: October 17, 2022, 04:50:12 pm »
Spoiler
I'm not sure if it happens that way in the book but that was my exact thought too, she could of killed all of them so easily and stopped all the bloodshed that is going to occur.
[close]

Spoiler
Yeah that was the first time I questioned the writing, But it was a fantastic scene though. I saw Miguel Sapochnik say she didn't burn them because she didn't want to murder a mother! But she was happy killing hundreds of innocent people with her dragon getting to that point  ;D Sometimes these producers need to be quiet  ;D
[close]

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15525 on: October 17, 2022, 05:09:03 pm »
Spoiler
Yeah that was the first time I questioned the writing, But it was a fantastic scene though. I saw Miguel Sapochnik say she didn't burn them because she didn't want to murder a mother! But she was happy killing hundreds of innocent people with her dragon getting to that point  ;D Sometimes these producers need to be quiet  ;D
[close]

Spoiler
It did look cool as fuck but I wish they made her change her mind for a better reason. Yeah I saw in the behind the scenes one of them calling it a heroic entrance! well maybe if we forget about all of the dead small folk lol, I guess in a way it shows how little regard anyone has for them.

I was trying to figure out what Helaena meant with beware the beast beneath the boards all episode but never would of guessed it was that!
[close]

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15526 on: October 17, 2022, 08:51:20 pm »
Spoiler
I loved the ending with Rhaenys she is definitely my favourite character.
[close]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 09:02:10 pm by jillc »
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15527 on: October 17, 2022, 11:06:29 pm »
None of this is even remotely fun. There’s not light, no relief form the misery.

It really really needs it.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15528 on: October 17, 2022, 11:45:38 pm »
Enjoyed that episode
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15529 on: October 17, 2022, 11:59:15 pm »
I'm gonna have to read the book once the season ends, can't wait a year to find out what happens.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15530 on: October 18, 2022, 01:23:24 am »
Spoiler
It's funny how 2 adaptations of 'prequel' books have come out in a similar timeframe and I have the same frustration with both; the constant jumping around has made it hard for me to care about 90% of the characters, up until the last 2 episodes of both series where they settle in one place/timezone, and then the series is over and we have to wait a couple years for more. Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed both HotD and RoP for the most part, but fuck me if the 'let's just use the 1st season to lay all the ground-work for future seasons' format both have followed has made it a rather frustrating watch at times.
[close]
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15531 on: October 18, 2022, 08:50:55 am »
Spoiler
It's funny how 2 adaptations of 'prequel' books have come out in a similar timeframe and I have the same frustration with both; the constant jumping around has made it hard for me to care about 90% of the characters, up until the last 2 episodes of both series where they settle in one place/timezone, and then the series is over and we have to wait a couple years for more. Don't get me wrong I've enjoyed both HotD and RoP for the most part, but fuck me if the 'let's just use the 1st season to lay all the ground-work for future seasons' format both have followed has made it a rather frustrating watch at times.
[close]

Spoiler
Well with regards to House Of The Dragon I don't really see how they could have done it differently. Rhaenyra was put next in line of the throne but then nothing really happened for about 10 years until the war starts so the bit in-between wouldn't have made very exciting TV. The only other way I could see them doing it is if the show started just before the war and then have flashbacks to the earlier years maybe!
[close]

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15532 on: October 18, 2022, 08:53:35 am »
Spoiler
It did look cool as fuck but I wish they made her change her mind for a better reason. Yeah I saw in the behind the scenes one of them calling it a heroic entrance! well maybe if we forget about all of the dead small folk lol, I guess in a way it shows how little regard anyone has for them.

I was trying to figure out what Helaena meant with beware the beast beneath the boards all episode but never would of guessed it was that!
[close]

Spoiler
It was a great scene so I can see why they went with it! But yeah they couldn't care less about the normal people, Imagine walking to work minding your own business then get pushed into a big building and having a dragon attack you  ;D  They do really need to start listening to Helaena more!
[close]

Online Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15533 on: October 18, 2022, 09:41:21 am »
This Aegon is up there with some of the most mental characters Martin ever created in that world. He's brilliantly mad. Aemond isn't far behind either to be fair, but in a totally different way.

Offline BER

• Goat fondler.
  • Legacy Fan
  • FLOSS IS BOSS!!
« Reply #15534 on: October 18, 2022, 02:14:54 pm »
Struggling to care about any of this, a single likeable or sympathetic character might help.

The next GoT show really needs to not be about the Throne.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15535 on: October 18, 2022, 02:23:17 pm »
The next GoT show really needs to not be about the Throne.

starting to agree, the relentless scheming and plotting is getting tiring, it's still really watchable but it would better with something to break the THRONE CHAT up. they have to do the Hedge Knight stories, would be so popular i reckon.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2022, 02:27:40 pm by Dench57 »
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15536 on: October 18, 2022, 02:24:21 pm »
yeah they have to the Hedge Knight stories, would be so popular i reckon

Game of Hedges, Debs in a consulting, scriptwriting role...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15537 on: October 18, 2022, 03:00:19 pm »
Watching this show has taught me things I didn't know from Game Of Thrones! I didn't know Robert Baratheon was part Targaryen!  :o

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15538 on: October 18, 2022, 03:35:42 pm »
starting to agree, the relentless scheming and plotting is getting tiring, it's still really watchable but it would better with something to break the THRONE CHAT up. they have to do the Hedge Knight stories, would be so popular i reckon.

I read they are doing a Jon Snow spinoff.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15539 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:17 pm »
I read they are doing a Jon Snow spinoff.

Yes, I can't find anything rock solid but most places seem to agree that these 4 are "in development" by HBO, though none have been confirmed by the network.

The Sea Snake (Corlys Velaryon sailing round the entire known world - cool!)
10,000 Ships (set 1000 years before GoT, Princess Nymeria and the Rhoynar - fleeing Valyria and settling in Dorne - dunno, maybe)
Tales of Dunc and Egg (a hedge knight of no renown and his squire - the future King Aegon V and brother of Maester Aemon in GoT - bowling around Westeros, scrapping in tourneys and fighting for minor houses - fuck yes!)
Jon Snow spin-off (please, no)

GRR has said he is really fond of his Dunc and Egg stories so here's hoping!
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #15540 on: October 18, 2022, 04:17:41 pm »
None of this is even remotely fun. There’s not light, no relief form the misery.

It really really needs it.

It’s not that type of show though. It’s why I went off GOT because they messed with the characterisation way too much. I mean Tyrion was never as decent as what they made him in the show.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15541 on: October 18, 2022, 04:34:30 pm »
The Sea Snake (Corlys Velaryon sailing round the entire known world - cool!)

I wish they could use the same actor, he's been brilliant, but I imagine they will cast someone younger.

I think they are doing an animated show on Yi Ti as well. I was never really too interested in Essos when I first read the books but after watching a lot of Alt Shift Xs videos on it and reading about the history, so much crazy magical shit goes on over their so I welcome any show set in that area of the world. I'd love a show about the Great Empire of the Dawn and all the Emperors.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #15542 on: October 18, 2022, 06:26:18 pm »

Tales of Dunc and Egg (a hedge knight of no renown and his squire - the future King Aegon V and brother of Maester Aemon in GoT - bowling around Westeros, scrapping in tourneys and fighting for minor houses - fuck yes!)

GRR has said he is really fond of his Dunc and Egg stories so here's hoping!

that would be fucking quality... probably won't get made on account of it being more sword and sorcery/small scale rather than epic fantasy. But the Dunc and Egg stories are absolutely outstanding...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #15543 on: October 18, 2022, 07:08:42 pm »
Watching this show has taught me things I didn't know from Game Of Thrones! I didn't know Robert Baratheon was part Targaryen!  :o

Given how many political marriages there must have been between all the major houses over the course of the centuries, it's probably impossible for most of the highborn to not find an ancestor or two anywhere they look.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15544 on: October 18, 2022, 09:17:45 pm »
Given how many political marriages there must have been between all the major houses over the course of the centuries, it's probably impossible for most of the highborn to not find an ancestor or two anywhere they look.

This is true! Surprised his gran was a Targaryen though, Then again I didn’t know Bloodraven who sits in the tree is a Targaryen too!

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15545 on: October 19, 2022, 07:18:28 pm »
I see nobody has mentioned that foot scene...
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15546 on: October 19, 2022, 09:34:13 pm »

I was trying to forget about it mate ;D I did wonder if Tarantino was a guest writer for this episode

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15547 on: October 19, 2022, 09:36:25 pm »

They were nice feet to be fair.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15548 on: October 19, 2022, 09:43:02 pm »

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #15549 on: October 20, 2022, 09:24:59 am »

I'm curious how Otto is going to repay him for his services next week.  :-\

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15550 on: October 20, 2022, 08:03:59 pm »
Think they're completely ruining the IP with this show. It's garbage and just really poorly done. All the characters are written terribly no matter how well acted. It's claustrophobic, non-sensical, disjointed and at times comical.  Just really mind boggling terrible and you have to wonder how bad the Long Night pilot must have been if this is somehow "fine". Probably need to hope Dunk & Egg is amazing at this point or George just needs to move on.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15551 on: October 20, 2022, 08:47:01 pm »
Think they're completely ruining the IP with this show. It's garbage and just really poorly done. All the characters are written terribly no matter how well acted. It's claustrophobic, non-sensical, disjointed and at times comical.  Just really mind boggling terrible and you have to wonder how bad the Long Night pilot must have been if this is somehow "fine". Probably need to hope Dunk & Egg is amazing at this point or George just needs to move on.

Move on from what? Most people don't share your view, it's been commissioned for a second season and is incredibly popular with great viewership.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15552 on: October 20, 2022, 09:01:26 pm »
Move on from what? Most people don't share your view, it's been commissioned for a second season and is incredibly popular with great viewership.

From spending all his time trying to get these shows off the ground? I think if this is the quality that they're going to be made at then eventually he's going to ruin his legacy. A lot of people watched Season 8 of GoT and almost all agree it was shit so a lot of people watching HoD means nothing to me. Not like HBO was going to throw in the towel after 1 season anyway. If season 2 is more of the same I don't doubt that aside from the die hards people will stop watching.

I honestly don't care if he ever finishes ASOIAF at this point as I'd have to probably re-read them now if a new one came out and I just don't know if I could be arsed. But he's an amazing writer and he should just go write stuff he wants to write and a lot of people would read and enjoy that.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15553 on: October 20, 2022, 09:15:23 pm »
From spending all his time trying to get these shows off the ground? I think if this is the quality that they're going to be made at then eventually he's going to ruin his legacy. A lot of people watched Season 8 of GoT and almost all agree it was shit so a lot of people watching HoD means nothing to me. Not like HBO was going to throw in the towel after 1 season anyway. If season 2 is more of the same I don't doubt that aside from the die hards people will stop watching.

I honestly don't care if he ever finishes ASOIAF at this point as I'd have to probably re-read them now if a new one came out and I just don't know if I could be arsed. But he's an amazing writer and he should just go write stuff he wants to write and a lot of people would read and enjoy that.

If anything it's improving his legacy after the disaster that was S08. The difference between S08 and Hotd is that this has high viewership and people enjoy it. You are right though, HBO would never throw the towel in on a show that's a hit...

If you can't be arsed reading any books he writes then why do you care if he's spending all of his time getting shows off the ground? I'm sure he's happy enough making money off the shows.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15554 on: October 20, 2022, 09:21:41 pm »
If anything it's improving his legacy after the disaster that was S08. The difference between S08 and Hotd is that this has high viewership and people enjoy it. You are right though, HBO would never throw the towel in on a show that's a hit...

If you can't be arsed reading any books he writes then why do you care if he's spending all of his time getting shows off the ground? I'm sure he's happy enough making money off the shows.

All of my circle of friends think HoD is bad. Season 8 had some of the highest viewership HBO has ever had. Just because that has continued with HoD doesn't mean it's now better. In fact I'd say it's worse and maybe you're one of the die hards that I'm referencing which if so fair enough but that's not the majority of viewers.

As far as the books, I've read everything George has written except Wild Cards as far as I can tell. Some of the ASOIAF books I haven't read in over a decade. If you think re-reading a book for the 3rd or 4th time shouldn't be a problem then good for you but I think I'm kind of out at this point and would just appreciate something new from him. George is definitely not hurting for money at this point and if that's all he cares about then good for him. For me as a fan though he would fall a level in my mind compared to other writers I enjoy if this is how he spends the rest of his career.

Edit: I'd go so far to say that HoD is actually made for the die hards in that it each episode functions as a way to check the box next to a Fire & Blood section and nothing more. I could just re-read Fire & Blood though instead of seeing this garbage on the screen is where I'm at.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:24:43 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15555 on: October 20, 2022, 09:42:02 pm »
All of my circle of friends think HoD is bad. Season 8 had some of the highest viewership HBO has ever had. Just because that has continued with HoD doesn't mean it's now better. In fact I'd say it's worse and maybe you're one of the die hards that I'm referencing which if so fair enough but that's not the majority of viewers.

As far as the books, I've read everything George has written except Wild Cards as far as I can tell. Some of the ASOIAF books I haven't read in over a decade. If you think re-reading a book for the 3rd or 4th time shouldn't be a problem then good for you but I think I'm kind of out at this point and would just appreciate something new from him. George is definitely not hurting for money at this point and if that's all he cares about then good for him. For me as a fan though he would fall a level in my mind compared to other writers I enjoy if this is how he spends the rest of his career.

Edit: I'd go so far to say that HoD is actually made for the die hards in that it each episode functions as a way to check the box next to a Fire & Blood section and nothing more. I could just re-read Fire & Blood though instead of seeing this garbage on the screen is where I'm at.

Fair enough you don't like, and that's cool not everyone will, but most do. So why exactly would George need to move on from anything when he's got another show that is shaping up to be as big as GOT.

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore fan, read the books once and watched the show once. I went into this show expecting it to be bad to be honest but have ended up loving it. If anything I'd imagine viewership will go up next season as word of mouth gets around about how good it is.

I didn't mean to come across as a dickhead with that question about the books btw mate, I was just genuinely curious why you cared what George spent his time doing if you weren't planning on reading any of his future books.
I honestly can't tell if you plan to read any future books by him or not, you seem to Flip-flop between wanting new stuff and not being arsed.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15556 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:10 pm »
Yeah I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore fan either, haven't read beyond the first couple of books as I'd already watched the show to death by the time I started, and after that abysmal end to GoT I really struggled to care about this. It's ended up being a really enjoyable show though, probably the one I look forward to each week the most right now.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15557 on: October 20, 2022, 10:24:33 pm »
Fair enough you don't like, and that's cool not everyone will, but most do. So why exactly would George need to move on from anything when he's got another show that is shaping up to be as big as GOT.

I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore fan, read the books once and watched the show once. I went into this show expecting it to be bad to be honest but have ended up loving it. If anything I'd imagine viewership will go up next season as word of mouth gets around about how good it is.

I didn't mean to come across as a dickhead with that question about the books btw mate, I was just genuinely curious why you cared what George spent his time doing if you weren't planning on reading any of his future books.
I honestly can't tell if you plan to read any future books by him or not, you seem to Flip-flop between wanting new stuff and not being arsed.

You're making a lot of assumptions here and I really don't care to go through each one. I clearly said I've read George's work and most of it multiple times and want him to write more instead of focus on TV shows. That's as clear as I can make it.

Yeah I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore fan either, haven't read beyond the first couple of books as I'd already watched the show to death by the time I started, and after that abysmal end to GoT I really struggled to care about this. It's ended up being a really enjoyable show though, probably the one I look forward to each week the most right now.

I think after each episode I could see why some would say this but episode 9 was so bad, probably the low point of both GoT and HoD, that I find this interesting now.

Offline leinad

• Kopite
« Reply #15558 on: October 20, 2022, 10:40:11 pm »
You're making a lot of assumptions here and I really don't care to go through each one. I clearly said I've read George's work and most of it multiple times and want him to write more instead of focus on TV shows. That's as clear as I can make it.

I think after each episode I could see why some would say this but episode 9 was so bad, probably the low point of both GoT and HoD, that I find this interesting now.

Oh you must of meant something else when you said you weren't arsed if he finished writing them then, fair enough. You must be one of them hardcore fans who thinks George should just stick to the books and not be allowed to do what he want's. I'm sure he's happy doing the TV stuff and good for him, he's opened up his work to a lot of people who wouldn't of even heard of it otherwise.

Offline Dave McCoy

• Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #15559 on: October 20, 2022, 11:59:56 pm »
Oh you must of meant something else when you said you weren't arsed if he finished writing them then, fair enough. You must be one of them hardcore fans who thinks George should just stick to the books and not be allowed to do what he want's. I'm sure he's happy doing the TV stuff and good for him, he's opened up his work to a lot of people who wouldn't of even heard of it otherwise.

So anybody who's read his books are "hardcore"fans? George can do what he wants, clearly. Just for people that enjoy his written work seeing what's become of it on TV is a bit off-putting and I'd prefer to see just more written work even if it's not ASOIAF related.