Author Topic: Unemployed Rawkites  (Read 256271 times)

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Re: Unemployed Rawkites
« Reply #3040 on: June 10, 2018, 08:00:55 am »
My God, HMRC are a pain in the arse. They love any reason to sanction you. I've been on JSA for a while having been on the sick for most of last year due to ill health. Had a few interviews this year but no luck. I last was working full time in April 2017.

Anyway, at the start of last year I booked a holiday for Spain as I'm at a friend's wedding (I go away on the 18th). As I'm leaving the country, I've got to go in and cancel my claim for JSA next week and presumably reclaim when I get back which is a complete pain in the arse (you don't know how long it will take to process). My circumstances haven't changed, but I need my JSA in order to pay my bills, to eat etc.
You can see why people plan holidays around appointments so they don't have to declare.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #3041 on: June 11, 2018, 03:38:18 pm »
You can see why people plan holidays around appointments so they don't have to declare.

And then get chased down by the press as fraudsters.

When I was signing on, I managed to get away for a short holiday. I told them I would continue to use the Internet to look for work while I was away. You should be entitled to a week or so, it's worth asking rather than just signing off.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline unclebob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • NEVER buy the s*n
« Reply #3042 on: June 11, 2018, 07:49:24 pm »
My God, HMRC are a pain in the arse. They love any reason to sanction you. I've been on JSA for a while having been on the sick for most of last year due to ill health. Had a few interviews this year but no luck. I last was working full time in April 2017.

Anyway, at the start of last year I booked a holiday for Spain as I'm at a friend's wedding (I go away on the 18th). As I'm leaving the country, I've got to go in and cancel my claim for JSA next week and presumably reclaim when I get back which is a complete pain in the arse (you don't know how long it will take to process). My circumstances haven't changed, but I need my JSA in order to pay my bills, to eat etc.

Enjoy the holiday, a few days away from the DWP will do you the world of good I'm sure. Keep yourself positive. Had a rotten run with them a few years back, wouldn't wish it on anyone. Good luck with it all.
If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3043 on: June 13, 2018, 12:08:29 am »
I’m unemployed at the moment. How do people survive on this money? I’m lucky my gf is working.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3044 on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:56 am »
I've just noticed an old employer are advertising a role which - had I not been made redundant by them for financial reasons (some years ago) - is probably what my past role would have developed into being.

What is the general consensus on returning to a company who once considered you expendable? I completely understand why they did as I was technically hired to take on half of a colleague's job for them. Is it ever a good idea to go back? Would the fact I've worked for them before be an advantage or disadvantage?

Offline Narwin Dunez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3045 on: June 24, 2018, 09:54:41 am »
I've just noticed an old employer are advertising a role which - had I not been made redundant by them for financial reasons (some years ago) - is probably what my past role would have developed into being.

What is the general consensus on returning to a company who once considered you expendable? I completely understand why they did as I was technically hired to take on half of a colleague's job for them. Is it ever a good idea to go back? Would the fact I've worked for them before be an advantage or disadvantage?

We're all expendable I'm afraid mate. If you need the cash, put in for it.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3046 on: June 24, 2018, 10:27:45 am »

If you still have contacts for a manager or someone, maybe you can have an informal chat with them to try and suss out how it might go. If you can do the job and the money is good, then you have nothing to lose by going for it.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3047 on: June 27, 2018, 06:03:33 pm »

If you had good relationships when you left, that's easy, you need the money? Then apply.

If not, then it depends on the turnover there. If it's high then you won't even be remembered that much, clean slate.

As Jake has said, of course you were expendable, as you will be if they employ you again. The quality of how all that goes obviously depends on the current set of people at the top, if there are no issues there, go for it.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3048 on: September 29, 2018, 03:01:38 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/events/823279491191887/?ti=as

Jobs fair at the Met Cathedral next month.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3049 on: May 15, 2019, 04:20:03 pm »
Not unemployed but have a question, is 29 years old too late for a career change?

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3050 on: May 15, 2019, 06:25:39 pm »
100% no. Think of it this way, if you'd been studying medicine or architecture you'd have hardly even started your first career at 29. I'm in the process of doing the same thing and I'm 7 years older than you.

Thanks mate. It’s just a bit daunting when you think about it before putting it into action. I’ve worked in offices ever since I left school and I’m thinking about doing something different.

Good luck with yours mate!

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3051 on: May 15, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »
Never too late. Plus you can find your previous experience, even if in a totally different field, can bring something unique to what you can offer an employer.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3052 on: September 6, 2019, 09:56:29 pm »
Well this week I got served my redundancy notice

Been wanting it for a couple of years but still a shock when it happens

Worked there for 17 years straight from university so the prospect of starting again is quite scary

Applications, new location, being the new kid again - not looking forward to it at all

Got three months notice so time to get searching!

Anyone been through similar?

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #3053 on: September 7, 2019, 01:34:19 pm »
I honestly didn't expect to see myself heading back into this thread anytime soon but it's fair to say something that started out and appeared to be a dream has careered into a nightmare... this past 2 months and some incidents leading up to it have left me in such a state of depression and left me so dis-illusioned, it's even making me feel like I don't want to work. I could write a much longer write up but I'm now so exhausted with everything that has transpired.

To cut a long story short..I was last paid my employer in June 2019. Since then, we have been told multiple things until it has reached it's current close. Just 1 day prior to our next payday, we were informed there was no money to pay us and that we would see the company placed in administration only to then be told a completely different message 24 hours later stating the business was not going into administration and that money was coming into the company and that would enable the wages to be paid.

The next thing we were told was a different company was buying the business and when the deal was completed, they would honour our salaries.. this became a constant soundbite as dates continually moved then 2 weeks ago I was told along with around 50% of colleagues that the new company was making redundancies and I would be 1 of the despite being assured I was integral to the day to day operation as well as the fact the deal was apparently signed off.

Fast forward to Thursday where there had still been no sign of any money or the deal being completed and I'm informed the sale isn't happening and the company is actually liquidating, so now I have to sort out a form to claim what I'm owed off the government as well as trying to find a job and now applying for Universal Credit which is a joke.. why ask me what my rent is if you say you will only pay 50% of it.

So here I am now spending my weekend looking for absolutely anything just to get money in...
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3054 on: September 7, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »
I honestly didn't expect to see myself heading back into this thread anytime soon but it's fair to say something that started out and appeared to be a dream has careered into a nightmare... this past 2 months and some incidents leading up to it have left me in such a state of depression and left me so dis-illusioned, it's even making me feel like I don't want to work. I could write a much longer write up but I'm now so exhausted with everything that has transpired.

To cut a long story short..I was last paid my employer in June 2019. Since then, we have been told multiple things until it has reached it's current close. Just 1 day prior to our next payday, we were informed there was no money to pay us and that we would see the company placed in administration only to then be told a completely different message 24 hours later stating the business was not going into administration and that money was coming into the company and that would enable the wages to be paid.

The next thing we were told was a different company was buying the business and when the deal was completed, they would honour our salaries.. this became a constant soundbite as dates continually moved then 2 weeks ago I was told along with around 50% of colleagues that the new company was making redundancies and I would be 1 of the despite being assured I was integral to the day to day operation as well as the fact the deal was apparently signed off.

Fast forward to Thursday where there had still been no sign of any money or the deal being completed and I'm informed the sale isn't happening and the company is actually liquidating, so now I have to sort out a form to claim what I'm owed off the government as well as trying to find a job and now applying for Universal Credit which is a joke.. why ask me what my rent is if you say you will only pay 50% of it.

So here I am now spending my weekend looking for absolutely anything just to get money in...

Thats shit that mate.

I know its shit, but Amazon have been advertising, means to an end and all that.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3055 on: September 7, 2019, 09:44:31 pm »

Fucking hell thats rough and makes mine look a breeze

Hope you get something sorted pal

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #3056 on: September 13, 2019, 03:58:37 pm »
Thanks everybody.. had a few interviews, got a couple of 2nd stage interviews pencilled in and got a possible couple of inductions at warehouse jobs if these fall through

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #3057 on: September 17, 2019, 10:44:45 pm »
Time to leave this group again.. put all my energies into getting another position again and I have secured a position at BDO in Liverpool starting in October :)

Still wrangling to understand what i can claim and get from my old company as despite telling us on 5th September we'd be redundant due to liquidation... still no liquidation procedures in place

Offline carl123uk

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @CarlLFC5
« Reply #3058 on: September 26, 2019, 11:36:28 am »
Looking at getting my class 2 HGV within the next 6 months. Anyone on here work as a class 2 driver? What sort or pay is realistic per week?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3059 on: September 26, 2019, 03:48:18 pm »
Looking at getting my class 2 HGV within the next 6 months. Anyone on here work as a class 2 driver? What sort or pay is realistic per week?

Rob1966 could probably help you out with that one.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3060 on: September 26, 2019, 05:26:43 pm »

It can be anywhere between £400 and £700 per week, depending on the hours you do. Most jobs are around £9 to £12 per hour, so if you put the hours in, expect a couple of 15 hour days a week, you can get nearer the upper range. Agencies are good to start with it you are struggling to get a permanent job. I never did class 2 work, I did my 2 and then class 1, went on the agencies and got put into Stobart straight away.
Jurgen YNWA

Online lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3061 on: September 26, 2019, 06:11:32 pm »
Well this week I got served my redundancy notice

Been wanting it for a couple of years but still a shock when it happens

Worked there for 17 years straight from university so the prospect of starting again is quite scary

Applications, new location, being the new kid again - not looking forward to it at all

Got three months notice so time to get searching!

Anyone been through similar?

Received my 3rd or 4th redundancy in June after being 4.5 years in my job. Have been looking, applying to a lot of jobs, and did some freelance work in July. You just have to stay positive all costs and keep promoting yourself. Oh and...

Only about 1 in 9 recruiters are any good. It is purely a numbers game in every field.

Good luck!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3062 on: October 10, 2019, 04:15:22 pm »
Received my 3rd or 4th redundancy in June after being 4.5 years in my job. Have been looking, applying to a lot of jobs, and did some freelance work in July. You just have to stay positive all costs and keep promoting yourself. Oh and...

Only about 1 in 9 recruiters are any good. It is purely a numbers game in every field.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Still no joy

Got my leave date as 23/12 but looks like I can leave from November if I get a role

Got to keep plugging away!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3063 on: October 24, 2019, 04:45:32 pm »
60 calendar days to go and still not got an interview let alone a job

Market is brutal but will keep applying for suitable roles and see what happens

Had feedback on cv and advised it’s fine so will keep playing the numbers game

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3064 on: October 29, 2019, 10:26:25 am »
Finally snagged an interview

Now shitting bricks!

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3065 on: October 29, 2019, 10:55:56 am »
Finally snagged an interview

Now shitting bricks!

Good luck mate. How long since you last had one? On the couple of occasions I’ve been out of work I’ve found interviews quite strange. The first time, the first interview I had was my first in about 7 years so was pretty rusty! Went ok but I definitely got better at them the more I had if that makes sense.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3066 on: October 29, 2019, 12:52:31 pm »
Good luck mate. How long since you last had one? On the couple of occasions I’ve been out of work I’ve found interviews quite strange. The first time, the first interview I had was my first in about 7 years so was pretty rusty! Went ok but I definitely got better at them the more I had if that makes sense.

Cheers it’s been a while unfortunately

Saving grace is I’ve had an hours chat with recruiter and all sounds positive so hoping I don’t mess up and manage to get it over the line!

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3067 on: October 29, 2019, 02:16:02 pm »
Anyone needing agency work then get in touch with Pertemps.

Currently with them, full time hours supplying doors to Jaguar.

Been there for just over a year so if you keep your head down and just do the job, you’ve got nothing to worry about.

Only downside is it’s rare they give out contracts, especially with brexit looming.

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3068 on: October 31, 2019, 12:56:01 pm »
Well not sure that went great haha

Out of practice! Missed going the match for that too

Ah well, will see

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3069 on: November 1, 2019, 04:11:02 pm »
missing the match obviously bought me reasonable Karma as i got offered the job

delighted doesnt really cover it. just got to sort formalities now in terms of start date etc

sorry for having kept bumping the thread and thanks for the couple of replies. its quite cathartic typing away and posting so thanks !

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3070 on: November 1, 2019, 04:20:22 pm »
Congratulations!

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3071 on: November 1, 2019, 04:21:12 pm »

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3072 on: November 1, 2019, 05:26:58 pm »

delighted doesnt really cover it. just got to sort formalities now in terms of start date etc

sorry for having kept bumping the thread and thanks for the couple of replies. its quite cathartic typing away and posting so thanks !
Yay well done mate [emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3073 on: November 1, 2019, 05:50:09 pm »
Yay well done mate [emoji122]

Cheers :)

Offline unclebob

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • NEVER buy the s*n
« Reply #3074 on: November 1, 2019, 06:05:43 pm »

Well in fella
If Everton were playing at the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3075 on: November 1, 2019, 06:33:23 pm »
Nice one dudleyred  :thumbup
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3076 on: November 1, 2019, 06:34:13 pm »

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3077 on: November 1, 2019, 08:48:55 pm »
Had my first day today!

6 years since I was last employed. Market tanked and was hard to find a job, a year on unemployment benefit, went back to school and uni. Got a 2 year course in business management and finished my bachelors this may.

Now landed a job I've been after for quite some time. HELL YEAH!

Keep it up lads'n lasses, it's gonna happen!
@Yvanicuzz

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3078 on: November 1, 2019, 09:16:01 pm »
Had my first day today!

6 years since I was last employed. Market tanked and was hard to find a job, a year on unemployment benefit, went back to school and uni. Got a 2 year course in business management and finished my bachelors this may.

Another excellent success story mate [emoji106]

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3079 on: November 2, 2019, 08:49:38 am »
Had my first day today!

Top effort that. Congratulations

Love your style starting on a Friday too ;)